Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Got any riding stories to share?

2K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Wheelspeed 
#1 · (Edited)
Stop in to our new forum where riding stories and passion for them are supposed to be shared. It used to be called "Passion" and was the original and first forum of this site. Recently the higher ups decided to change the name of the forum from "Passion" to "Riding Passion and Stories". And also lower it's location down in the scroll bar, where it has obviously been forgotten about. Since the name change and it's movement it seems many have yet to locate it and the activity has decreased significantly.

Check it out and contribute please. :thumbsup:

Lost? Quick link from General to >> https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passion-stories/

#21 ·
Some guys were claiming to have done some trail work last week so I went out to check things out (hunting KOM's) and for the most part the work was well done. Fast and flowy, except for one corner that was left flat and sandy with high consequences for missing the turn. Well, I missed that turn, tried to make it, ended up washing out but was able to catch my bike before it tumbled down the ravine. Lost a little blood, and had to make some derailleur adjustments when I got home. Needless to say, I did not get that KOM.

#22 ·
Passion has the same amount of passionate posts as it did before, it is just missing all the general and other off-topic posts it used to get.

Do you honestly think if it was re-named back to Passion it would get more traffic? The name of that forum had nothing to do with the amount of traffic it got. Being at the top of the drop down forum list was the reason it had so much traffic, and the off-topic posts in that section proved it.

#23 ·
Passion started as a forum in 1998 when the Gatherings were going on. Around 15 years ago, it was reassigned alphabetically and there was an uproar and it was put back on top. It doesn't matter anymore. It's hard to passionate about look a like plastic bikes, sanitized flow trails, and mountain bikes with motors.

#30 ·
Sure, I'll play...
Back in college, I signed up for a 32-mile, one-lap xc race in central PA. Old "Coburn Challenge" or something. A buddy from home came up the night before, so of course we went bar-hopping all over town and got somewhat fubar. Then, I didn't know anything about nutrition, so we just tried to eat a lot at the Ye 'Old College Diner that morning. Woke up with a bit of a fever too, forehead felt hot. But I wasn't gonna cancel because dammit I paid about $32 for that entrance fee and I was a college student who could've used that $32 for a lot of beer.

So, about 2 hours after breakfast, hung-over, mild fever, and two water-bottles on my bike, I set out on this 32-mile rock central PA mud race. It was around late March I believe.

Needless to say,1/2 way through I was out of water and thirsty as hell. I rode past a creek with beautiful clear, fast-moving water. So clear I could see the rock-bed at the bottom. Of course, everyone knows not to drink creek water. So I salivated for it but rode up a gravel-road climb about 100 yards, dying of thirst, and couldn't stand it and turned around and rode back down the hill, the wrong way during a race! Filled up the bottles and started going up the hill again. I splashed about a 1/2 bottle on my head and it felt SOOO GOOD. It was probably only about 74F outside, but my head felt hot so the 50F water felt wonderful. Then...

I couldn't take it any longer, God I was crazy and the feeling came upon me like a title wave and I just had to drink this forbidden water. It tasted DELICIOUS! Like heaven. After drinking like about 8 oz real quick, I was feeling better about this entire thing of drinking from a creek when I was always told no one should do it. But it was so good I was sure the water was clean. So I rode up that gravel-road hill about 200 or 300 yards, feeling so much better than when I did it the 100 yards the first time, and then...

I had to throw the bike down, run off into the woods and unleash a boneless brown trout in a hurry!

Waited a moment, and it was okay. I was done. Awesome. So the water wasn't so great, but at least I didn't feel sick or anything. I decide I'm done and start looking for some leaves. Nothing but dirt and bushes with bare twigs on 'em. (Stuff doesn't grow leaves in PA until around May or something.) I don't remember the exact timing but it was early spring and nothing was grown yet. So I scan further and further away from me looking for some leaf or better yet leaves that I can find and there is NOTHING! Then...

I was so desperate I looked everywhere, even right below me. Not sure of the logic in that, but when you don't see anything far I guess look close as if I was crouched on some nice bed of leaves and didn't notice. But thankfully my eyes did scan around like that in panic because I noticed I was wearing SOCKS! YES, SWEEET SOCKS! I was saved. I finished the race with one sock. The other is somewhere deep in the woods of central PA.

Never drank from a creek again.

So if you see a mountain biker with one sock, you know what happened. If he's not wearing any socks, then he's either a weed-smoking hippy or maybe even more dense than me and he drank from a stream twice.

#31 ·
LOL^
Thanks for the laugh.

Keep in mind, we are not pushing for the new name to be brought back to the top like it was for so many years. We are pushing for the name to be brought back to its original name of “Passion”. Put it at the top or in alphabetical order, I don’t give a crap. I just want those long lost Passion contributors to find it and return with great ride experiences or whatever.

“R” Who the hell looks for a “Passion” under “R”?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.