Good used bikes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Good used bikes?

While shopping for an economical mtb, which ain't easy when you got no money, I see name-brand "low end" mtb's but can never find a used one on MTBR classified. I think a lot of riders start out with them and eventually upgrade. Do they not sell the old bike or are the old bikes so "trashed" there's nothing worth having? Give a pauper a break. I don't see carbon fiber, dual suspension in my future. Where's the cheap bikes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Craig's List. A lot of people buy entry level mountain bikes and use them very little or not at all. Then they turn around and sell them on Craig's List. Sure, half of them think that their one year old bike is worth as much, if not more, than what they paid for it, but you should be able to find some realistic people. I see Hard Rocks and 3/4 series Treks on my CL all the time.

T.W.O.
    What's your budget? There's always good deals if you have enough patience.

not really an mtbr member
    I would second craigslist, or your local mountain biking association might have a classifieds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I check CL every day.No MTB clubs close by. THEN, there's the issue of getting the wife's approval.

mtbr member
    I'm having a hell of a time trying to look for a bike for my brother on craigslist and pinkbike, Its a mix of people selling expensive rigs for a lot of money and really old bikes that don't fit the criteria.... with a good amount of people asking for just about what they paid for their bikes years ago when they bought it

It's about showing up.
    People may ask for exorbitant amounts of money for a used bike but that doesn't mean they get that when they sell it. Just offer no more than you think the bike is worth.

A used off-the-rack bike is valued at about 50% of new, depending upon condition. If it has significant upgrades it will be worth more but not 50% plus the cost of the upgrades.

Some bikes will have a special niche market and break these rules. If a bike was hardly used it may be hard to buy it at 50-60% but you have to make your offer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Saw a bike on pinkbike, Scwhinn Aluminum Comp, which is Walmart's "high-end" bike or was until they started selling a 29er. Guy was asking $200. That's what Walmart was charging until the 29er. Now it's $169. Typical of some people trying to sell a bike. IT'S A USED BIKE, CUT THE PRICE AND SELL IT!

Members who have read this thread: 0