Good Customer Service vs. Bad Customer Service- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good Customer Service vs. Bad Customer Service

I though it might be interesting to compile a list of Companies that have given them good customer service as well as a list of companies that have given them bad service. This is not a ranking of quality of product but rather how Customer Service within that company is handled. Also personal experience is prefered with this poll as well. I would rather not know reasons just getting a overall look at the industry and how people feel.

Good:

Phil Wood
    Rohloff
    Magura
    Waltworks
    Blackburn
    Dakine
    Thomson
    Race Face
    Renne Designs
    ESI Grips
    White Industries
    Marzocchi

Bad:

Sun/Ringle
    Santa Cruz
    Shimano (slow)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I bought an Ibis Mojo and any e-mail and a few minor issues were handled by Scot Nicol personally. I love it when that happens.
    Industry Nine was good at responding to mail, haven't had a chance to thrash their product yet.
    Larry @Mountain High Cyclery was good though a few e-mails got lost for some reason.
    Garmin was good on the phone bad at e-mail.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

...idios...
    I've had fast and slow customer service from Specialized. I've had chipper, happy emails from them and I've had flat, business-like emails. Sometimes they can sort me out, and other times they can't. The biggest problem with rating customer service is that everyone expects something different. You could do a search on the forums and come up with numerous threads where folk have posted a rant about company 'x', only to be shot down on the forum for having unreasonable expectations or demands.

I can guarantee that for every person who has had bad CS from a company, another can step forward and contradict it. I'd suggest that people think long and hard before they criticise any company in public.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

Mar 2005
    I agree with Steve here 100%!

I've had consistently excellent CS from some places (enduroforkseals.com, Niner bikes) and occasional poor CS from others. All to be expected at some point..

IMHO, one bad experience shouldn't lead to a blanket public forum slam - there's two sides to every one of those stories. If both sides can be reasonable and forthright, it's very rare that an amicable solution cannot be found. Afterall, they want your's and other's business in the future... Just because your own expectations haven't been met doesn't mean the transaction/offereing wasn't reasonable. Yes, there are some real duds out there, but just proceed with caution is all I'm saying...

My $0.02.

Cheers, Chris

bang
    i've had customer service from jagwire that went well above and beyond what i expected.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Have you ever heard of any company that kept absolutely everyone happy? No way!

Unhappy and demanding people rant about ten times as much as happy people do. Then they move to Sacramento.

I endorse self propulsion
    i agree. no company that can keep everybody happy b/c peoples expectations are so different. that said, i just had a good experience w/ Crank Brothers. I accidentally threw out the plastic shims that come with their replacement cleats, so i emailed them to see if i could buy the shims by themselves, and the rep said he'd just send me a set no charge. not a huge deal, but pretty cool and will certainly make me consider their products when i need new pedals or a multi tool or something.
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

I'm SUCH a square....
    all any of us can answer about is our own experience, and it's not all-encompassing; we choose who we deal with & don't, and only if another person trusts our word does that influence another's decision.

that said, my own experiences are: bikesdirect CS sucked, motobecane sucked pig-a$$, greenfish rocked the house!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have had great experiences with TURNER BIKES, Giro, Marzocchi, Fox, Sram/Rock Shox, [email protected] High Cyclery, Richards Bicycles, etc.

rubber side down

Santa Cruz?

I have to disagree with the "bad" rating given to Santa Cruz. I have received excellent customer service from SC.

Aug 2004
    Add Yeti to the good list. They treated me very well.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    I have to disagree with the "bad" rating given to Santa Cruz. I have received excellent customer service from SC.
    Thinking back to the few times that I had to deal with Santa Cruz, I would have to agree. They were great to work with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I get excellent customer service from TREK. Usually get responses within hours during regular business hours.

Although my question was never answered or replied to; PowerBar sent me a new container of Recovery drink mix when I asked a simple question about its foaming when mixing. I thought that was cool since I didn't complain I just asked a question. Since the second container of mix foamed up like the first I guess my question did get answered in a way though.

I wanted to try SRAM/RockShox and Shimano but couldn't find any contact us info. They may respond well but I can't find info to e-mail them. They do both offer great online manuals and tech stuff though to figure things out on my own.

Performance Bike instant chat helpline works awesome for me. During business hours you can ask questions about products in a live one on one chat. That is very handy I have found.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Jagwire and Crank Brothers have both gone way above...Jagwires more than the latter though... No real bad deals, but Iron Horse never returned my e-mail
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by KPVSR
    I wanted to try SRAM/RockShox and Shimano but couldn't find any contact us info. They may respond well but I can't find info to e-mail them. They do both offer great online manuals and tech stuff though to figure things out on my own.
    Contact SRAM HERE. You will have to call them. I have had them pick up the phone after a few rings everytime.

Im not sure about Shimano, but I would think that there would be a number on the site somewhere.

I have found that if I have the opportunity to call, I WILL. It is much faster and the conversation alone can bring up other topics that you may need to be answered.

mtbr member
    Sage Cycles. Ordered online and they were very helpful. Sette USA were good but a bit slow.
    Trust me, I'm lying.

mikeb
    i have recieved both very good and very bad customer service from niterider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    Contact SRAM HERE. You will have to call them. I have had them pick up the phone after a few rings everytime.
    Thanks for the SRAM info. I prefer e-mail since many times it is after hours when I think of something and I can just send it off when ever and wait for a reply. I can also save it for future reference. I guess a fax would do the same thing. Good point on the one on one phone call bringing out extra questions though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Good:

Turner Bikes
    PUSH Industries
    Light and Motion

Bad:

Cannondale
    Shimano

Glad to Be Alive
    good
    Marzocchi
    Azonic
    Hadley
    Intense

real bad
    Beyond bikes
    Garage suspension works
    Manipou
    Mountain Bike Action magazine
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

3 "fiddy" for short
    I have had VERY GOOD service from Jet Lights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    bad:
    Trek
    took 7 months to get a new frame, told 2 weeks
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Amazing Customer Service---
    I r o n H o r s e ! ! !

Great Customer Service---