Goggles for winter commute- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

New question here. Goggles for winter commute

I need your advice please: what's a good pair of goggles for commuting on a bike?

I'm looking for something affordable, with interchangeable lenses (i.e. clear for night riding).

Oakleys are nice, but too expensive. This will be abused daily.

Riding in MA.

mtbr member
    how about 2 pairs of cheepies? one clear, and one tinted.

May 2007
    Don't you find goggles have the inherent problem of fogging up?

Arrrgggghhh!!
    steepandcheap.com has good goggles at bargain prices up every once and a while.
    Give 'da people 'da air.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try a pair of Scott night visions.

They are a double lense, will not fog, and are slightly tinted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slo007
    I need your advice please: what's a good pair of goggles for commuting on a bike?

I'm looking for something affordable, with interchangeable lenses (i.e. clear for night riding).

Oakleys are nice, but too expensive. This will be abused daily.

Riding in MA.
    may be obvious, but look at ski/snowboard goggles, not MX type (because they're not designed for cold). Also, I use a snowboard helmet, so the goggles seal nicely to the helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used ski/snowboard goggles last year. They have foam around where they contact the face. I don't recall any major fogging issues with them when I was riding. Used them while commuting and for some snow rides in town with friends last winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Don't you find goggles have the inherent problem of fogging up?
    ski goggles have addressed this problem for years. I snowboard with a buddy who always has goggle issues, come to find out he uses paint ball gun goggles with only a single lens and no foam seal. He didn't believe me that actual ski goggles are double lensed and technologically superior for winter climates until I made him compare our goggles. I also ride in a ski helmet for winter commuting, too, and ski goggles when conditions warrant it.

Oh yes, any goggle will fog up if you stop moving.

Lurker
    are there any sunglass style types that work?
    Where the Sidewalk Ends
    "Its not a hobby its a way of life."

Lurker
    after i posted on here i was reading Maxim and i found these in chef tools check them out
    http://cheftools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=06%2D0943+++01 iam going to give these a shot.
    Where the Sidewalk Ends
    "Its not a hobby its a way of life."

mtbr member
    Those do look pretty slick, The Onion Goggle!

But without a double lens I suspect they will be prone to fogging once you start to warm up.

Double-metric mtb man
    If you need something pretty cheap with swappable lenses, UVex (yes, the safety glasses people) make a fairly classy looking goggle that doesn't look like something from high school chemistry class. It has interchangable lenses too.

I have a set at work that everyone calls my "ski goggles" because they look a bit like what you'd see at the hill. Well vented and vented in the right spots means I haven't been able to fog them up yet (even wearing my beleclava when things get colder up here in Canada).

May be worth having a look at.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    If you need something pretty cheap with swappable lenses, UVex (yes, the safety glasses people) make a fairly classy looking goggle that doesn't look like something from high school chemistry class. It has interchangable lenses too.

I have a set at work that everyone calls my "ski goggles" because they look a bit like what you'd see at the hill. Well vented and vented in the right spots means I haven't been able to fog them up yet (even wearing my beleclava when things get colder up here in Canada).

May be worth having a look at.
    Do you have any idea what model they are? Are they "goggles" or "glasses"?
    I use a pair of Gordini OTG goggles for cold weather commuting, which are fairly good, but they still fog up if I cover my face.

Double-metric mtb man
    They are a goggle...called the Stealth. I just put a little bit of foam / sponge in the bottom vents (like what is in skiing / boarding goggles) to help reduce the flow of exhaled breath up from below.

Another option is something like a snowboarding goggle with interchangable lense. A ski / board shop is another option where you could find something helmet compatable and with interchangable lenses that won't break the bank (or be Oakleys) too.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Members who have read this thread: 0