Getting new Bike with lots of questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Getting new Bike with lots of questions

Hi Guys

Again, im still new here. Well tomorrow looks like the day I will be picking up my new GT agressor. I am a little nervous as its the first time I have bought a decent bike ( I have usually played around with my buddies bikes ) I have so many more NEWBIE questions to ask tomorrow like:

How do I put the chain back on if it falls off?
    What do I use to lubricate the chain, and how often?
    How do I switch into gears,lol I forget really?
    Can I ride my bike on a rainy muddy day.

and the most important

Do they make a seat that wont hurt my butt.

Well Im excited for sure.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    1. Putting the chain back on: just pick it up off of the frame, gently pull it forward towards the chainrings or back towards the cassette (depends on where it came off and what component it is still on) and reset it on the chainring or cogs.

2. Lubricating the chain. Use something designed specifically for chains and, even better, designed for the environment you will be riding in. Your LBS will be able to recomend a winner to you. I personally use the blue Rock and Roll and like it quite a bit. As for how often... I do it once a week. Probably a little over - kill but not by much.

3. How to switch gears... I would you tube this, then ride your bike a ****-ton and then go back and watch some more vids.

4. Yes you can ride on a wet muddy day. Just clean and lube your drivetrain soon after.

5. Comfy seat: there are alot out there that would work for you but all will most likely still make you tender untill you get a couple hundred miles under your belt... Padded shorts will help but the best cure is time in the saddle.

Have fun and get out there and tear it up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeNudem View Post
    1. Putting the chain back on: just pick it up off of the frame, gently pull it forward towards the chainrings or back towards the cassette (depends on where it came off and what component it is still on) and reset it on the chainring or cogs.

2. Lubricating the chain. Use something designed specifically for chains and, even better, designed for the environment you will be riding in. Your LBS will be able to recomend a winner to you. I personally use the blue Rock and Roll and like it quite a bit. As for how often... I do it once a week. Probably a little over - kill but not by much.

3. How to switch gears... I would you tube this, then ride your bike a ****-ton and then go back and watch some more vids.

4. Yes you can ride on a wet muddy day. Just clean and lube your drivetrain soon after.

5. Comfy seat: there are alot out there that would work for you but all will most likely still make you tender untill you get a couple hundred miles under your belt... Padded shorts will help but the best cure is time in the saddle.

Have fun and get out there and tear it up!
    I second all this. As far as saddles are concerned, you will get accustomed to it. It will take time, but the fat granny seats are not really any more comfy. You will probably get a rash regardless. Just rock the saddle your bike comes with and if it's still bugging you after a couple hundred miles you should buy a new one.
    "So let's recap here:
    You asked a question.
    You got an answer.
    You proceed to make an ass out of yourself."

mtbr member
    Cheers for the tips guys I appreciate it. I picked up my aggressor today and cant wait to get out tomorrow to ride it.

Members who have read this thread: 0