Getting back into it: recommend trails (UK), and advise on my current bikes..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Getting back into it: recommend trails (UK), and advise on my current bikes..

Hi all,
    I'm trying to get back into cycling.. I've become fat and unfit, and I'm just over 40 years old.. not a good combination!

I'm looking for some nice "mostly off road" basic trails in the UK (I live in Leicester), nothing too demanding to start with in terms of hills or technical bits until I'm feeling a bit fitter and more confident, and like I'm not going to die.

The only one I know of really is Hicks Lodge in Ashby, and Cannock Chase (though that's a little far perhaps).

Secondly, I currently have too many bikes collected second hand over a number of years..
    - Giant XTC Napa 2001-ish (definately selling)
    - Trek Fuel Ex 8 2010
    - Trek SuperFly 9.6 2015
    - Cannondale CAADX 105 2016
    - Giant Defy 0 2017

So I also need to decide what to do there..

The idea with the SuperFly was to replace the Cannondale, just because I find I don't get on with drop bars as well as I used to, and there were occasions I felt a little like I wish I was on a mountain bike.. It was to be a bit of an all-rounder and general get-arounder basically.

The Giant Defy was when I got into road cycling for a bit.. but flip is it dangerous sometimes!

The Fuel Ex was my best take-it-anywhere off-road without worrying sort of bike, with some proper grippy tyres on.

So, my current thoughts are, I may as well sell both drop handle bikes... The SuperFly will cover most normal every-day stuff on-road and off-road especially if I lighten it and put some fast rolling tyres on it.

Not sure how reasonable that sounds..

Not long ago I put some nice brakes on the Cannondale, and it looks lovely, so a bit reluctant to sell it! Also the Defy is lovely with it's simplicity, lightness and cantilever brakes (though the geometry I'm told isn't great for me).. But I need to be realistic! There's only so much room in the garage!!!

mtbr member
    I'd sell everything and put it towards a new or lightly used more 'modern' bike, ie latest geometry. Keep the Superfly as your backup. Not sure about trails as I'm in the US but I'd check out Stonehenge, Mordor, and Big Ben. Good luck and welcome back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

High Desert MTBer
    I would keep the Fuel until you get more accomplished again, figure out where you may be headed with this and then decide what you want to do. The important thing is to get out there and put in some miles.
    I'm not familiar with the country around Leicester, but I used to ride the Cannock Chase Classic race now and then, and the terrain was great if you can get out there. I would personally get yourself a good local Ordinance Survey map and string together some local bridleway routes that will keep you occupied. Get those miles in!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Hmm, so looks like keeping the SuperFly and the Fuel then, sounds about right! I'm half thinking of hanging onto the Cannondale maybe for now too... I am a bit of a horder and it's hard for me to let go of stuff, especially pretty stuff ;-)

High Desert MTBer
    I can't really advise you what to sell or keep, that is down to emotion as much as sense, so that's personal!
    It's all Here. Now.