Thread: Getting back

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Getting back

Iím new to the forum and I retired in May and decided to start riding again. I was an avid MB rider and rode with a group called the Warrior Society, work and life kept me busy and I stopped riding; one can only fish so much so im looking for another bike. I actually picked up a vintage Klein but I may try and sell it and pick up something with front shocks since my old specialized is a hard tail single speed. Iím going to post the Klein in that section to see if anyone can tell me what it is and if itís worth keeping

jcd's best friend
    What kind of bikes have you been scoping out so far?
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    nothing in particular...at my ripe old age of 58 (LOL), i'm not sure how hard I want to get back into it; thinking maybe intermediate type trails, no hard core down hill stuff anymore. I moved to Murrieta CA when I retired 7 months ago and there are a bunch of nice riding areas around here that I can see. I bought a third of an acre and my grandkids were having a blast in my back yard with a little trail they made up and down my slopes, I got on my bike and with them, which got me thinking about riding again

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior1 View Post
    nothing in particular...at my ripe old age of 58 (LOL), i'm not sure how hard I want to get back into it; thinking maybe intermediate type trails, no hard core down hill stuff anymore. I moved to Murrieta CA when I retired 7 months ago and there are a bunch of nice riding areas around here that I can see. I bought a third of an acre and my grandkids were having a blast in my back yard with a little trail they made up and down my slopes, I got on my bike and with them, which got me thinking about riding again
    58 years old is not old. Youíve still got another 10 years of ripping before switching to ride mellow trails. Stop being a puss, youíre giving us all mid to late 50ís riders a bad name.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Got that right!
    I'm starting at 57 and tearing it up.
    I have a bad knee and arthritis so switching from a hardtail to full suspension really helped the knee out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    58 years old is not old. Youíve still got another 10 years of ripping before switching to ride mellow trails. Stop being a puss, youíre giving us all mid to late 50ís riders a bad name.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Do yourself a favor and get some type of full suspension 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Not looking into mellow trails and honestly, except for the Big "C" my body is in great shape. And, I guess the late fifties is now the late 30's hahaha

Not looking into mellow trails and honestly, except for the Big "C" my body is in great shape. And, I guess the late fifties is now the late 30's hahaha
    Oh sorry, you didnít mention the ďCĒ word, I understand now.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Oh sorry, you didnít mention the ďCĒ word, I understand now.
    I didn't take it that way, so no problem. When I was diagnosed in 2015 I sold all my toys (avid Bass tournament fisherman), my boat and all. Since I wasn't sure of the outcome I didn't want my wife left with a bunch of stuff to deal with. Well, after about 6 months after my treatment, she told me to get my ass out there and fish and buy another boat, so I did. I lost 35 pounds, so I took the opportunity to not gain it back by working out and eating right. You are right though, and got me thinking on why should I put limits on myself; just go ride and see where it goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I didn't take it that way, so no problem. When I was diagnosed in 2015 I sold all my toys (avid Bass tournament fisherman), my boat and all. Since I wasn't sure of the outcome I didn't want my wife left with a bunch of stuff to deal with. Well, after about 6 months after my treatment, she told me to get my ass out there and fish and buy another boat, so I did. I lost 35 pounds, so I took the opportunity to not gain it back by working out and eating right. You are right though, and got me thinking on why should I put limits on myself; just go ride and see where it goes.
    Give your wife a big kiss and tell how much you love andappreciate her, thats awesome!
    You might want to look at geared hardtail. Honestly theres lots of good stuff out there. With 1x and clutches dropped chains are really rare now. Go out and have fun with the grandkids!

Moderator Moderator
    Hello and welcome! Good for you. Riding will keep you healthy, as long as you don't crash.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by shred79 View Post
    Got that right!
    I'm starting at 57 and tearing it up.
    I have a bad knee and arthritis so switching from a hardtail to full suspension really helped the knee out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I learned this the hard way. I am turning 39 and I have tons and tons of arthritis, knee issues, and feet problems (military stuff). I built a hardtail and every time I rode it hard, my knees and feet would hurt a ton. I just bought a full suspension bike as my n+1 and I don't have these issues anymore.

Oh, don't forget to stop by and say hi in the Age 50+ forum too!
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Give your wife a big kiss and tell how much you love andappreciate her, thats awesome!
    You might want to look at geared hardtail. Honestly theres lots of good stuff out there. With 1x and clutches dropped chains are really rare now. Go out and have fun with the grandkids!
    Couldnít have said it better. Amazing wife and it sounds like youíve got a great attitude towards adventure. Congrats by the way on beating the C.

As far as a bike as root stated. Lots of good stuff out there depending on your budget. Once you narrow down the type of bike maybe look in the used market for a higher end build for much less. Many want to get into the sport and find itís not for them after purchasing a quality ride. So thereís always good deals out there on slightly used for a fraction of the same quality bought new. You just have to be persistent and patient in the classifieds. If you go that route Iíd recommend PinkBike classifieds.

Cycologist
    Welcome! Be sure to read up here and ask questions. Modern bikes are a lot safer than the old bikes; bigger wheels, slacker geometry and dropper posts have really helped reduce the over the bar crashes. 55 btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I started back up at age 48 after a long break. Be patient, be consistent, and have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    ... Modern bikes are a lot safer than the old bikes; bigger wheels, slacker geometry and dropper posts have really helped reduce the over the bar crashes. 55 btw.
    Nahhh. It just means you're going faster when it happens.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get some type of full suspension 29er.
    Also a recommendation for a Fat bike with a suspension fork. Big grins.

My full squish 29er has 1/4 the miles of my Fattie.

52 here BTW.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Welcome! Be sure to read up here and ask questions. Modern bikes are a lot safer than the old bikes; bigger wheels, slacker geometry and dropper posts have really helped reduce the over the bar crashes. 55 btw.
    And wider bars to keep the downhillers at bay if they donít yield right of way.