Thread: Geocaching

don't move for trees

Geocaching

Any of you guys into geocaching? I've set a couple caches up in the Reno area with my dad and our jeep, i was thinking it would be cool to set some ones on your favorite bike trials to help others get out and use them.

Eyes of the world
    what the heck is geocaching
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

SSlow rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertYota
    what the heck is geocaching
    Geocaching actually looks like a cool side hobby to mountain biking.

don't move for trees
    It has really gotten me to some neat historical sites and jeep trails. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do while MTB

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BKnight
    Any of you guys into geocaching? I've set a couple caches up in the Reno area with my dad and our jeep, i was thinking it would be cool to set some ones on your favorite bike trials to help others get out and use them.
    Geocaching is cool. Me and the missus happened upon a "treasure" while on a hike a few years back... It's one of those really cool uses for technology and the Internet, with few side effects.

I just don't want to cough up the $200 plus for a gizmo - when that same $200 could go toward upgrading my current bike, or building the new one...

Nevertheless, if you have a GPS unit, it's way cool.

SSlow rider
    FWIW, I saw an entry level GPS unit at Costco priced at $129.99 yesterday afternoon. If I choose to buy something for myself I'll get a higher end one, but this one seemed decent for the price. It's the Magellan Explorist 200. Reviews at Amazon and Epinions were very good.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    I've geocached all over the world and it is a blast. After the cost of a GPS ~ 100$ , the only other expenses are gas if you visit caches outside your local area. It's great for family as well. My daughters have a great time when we go caching. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/ for information and locations of caches in your neck of the woods.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    $200 for GPS?

I keep this in the car all the time --> http://www.shoptronics.com/augm15chgmgp.html
    Worked great for years. Just put coordinates for home into the memory and never get lost.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by BKnight
    Put some good bike swag in your caches -- no cheapo McToys. And put the caches far enough out on trails that the 1/1 cachers won't bother (we need more 5/5 multis).

SSlow rider
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat
    $200 for GPS?

I keep this in the car all the time --> http://www.shoptronics.com/augm15chgmgp.html
    Worked great for years. Just put coordinates for home into the memory and never get lost.
    $60 for a GPS ain't too bad at all, plus it's a 2-way radio as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo96
    $60 for a GPS ain't too bad at all, plus it's a 2-way radio as well.

The radio works great too. Some channels require a license to talk on, and I hear commercial traffic like taxis, towing on it. Audiovox never built a name for itself, but I can attest that this particular product is built better than most other consumer grade stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I would do it if I had the time and money. I like the whole navigation / adventure thing. One area I ride in, I often find myself busting out the compass and going point to point. I have to get to work or pick up the kids so back tracking is not always an option. I would like to hunt down the us geo survey markers people have shown out west in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I geocached for a while. Now I use my GPS to get me un-lost when I drive to L.A. I found about 110 caches, and hid a few.

It was a blast, and it's the only reason I know A LOT of cool places around my town.

Now I just ride bikes.

mtbr member
    I just figured I'd give it a shot again and now pedal to the locations. It will get me riding to and in new locations and different terrains. The bike should make it easy to get to some out of the way spots.

mtbr member
    Thirteen and a half years! Wowzers

That's almost as long as it's been since I was geocaching. When I lived in the desert it was cool but once I moved to the suburbs there was a Tupperware full of Happy Meal toys on every street corner.

mtbr member
    I cached a good bag of weed out there like 10 years ago. Has anyone found it?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Professional Crastinator
    We have geocaching here.

Of course, riding off trail is frowned upon.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    I cached a good bag of weed out there like 10 years ago. Has anyone found it?

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
    Ask Picard?
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread