mtbr member
    May 2008

Front Fender helpful / worth it

Does a front fender like - Mucky Nutz Face Fender Reverse | Jenson USA

help a good deal at keeping more of the bike and rider clean? I typically ride in dry conditions (wet trails are closed by me) but wondering how much it would help when things get sloppy

mtbr member
    Back in the day I ran a black THE fender on my XC in the wet. Looked sharp and it kept the muck out of my eyes. I've never been a fan of glasses.

Man I need to get a fender again.

These days trail maker cry babies will run you out of town for slightly rutting out their poorly drained unnecessary berms. So maybe the question is ... can one even ride in conditions that require a fender? Better call the mountain bike cops!
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

mtbr member
    I throw one on from fall until....well, yesterday. But I'm also in Colorado where trails are generally dry and dusty. When things do get wet, they dry out fast.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    The bigger the mudguard, the more muck it keeps off. Simple really.

I've used everything from tiny ones to full-length mudguards on my commuter, those let me ride on wet roads and stay dry. The tiny ones don't do much. Not rocket science.

mtbr member
    It basically keeps mud from being thrown up in front of you and coming back and hitting you in the face as your ride through it. It also helps keep the fork stanchions cleaner. It does nothing for your lower half or the rest of the bike.
    Do the math.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, it helps keep stuff from being thrown in your face is about it. If that's what you want, then you're golden. I have one for my fatbike that I keep forgetting to install. I ride in Pisgah, where some trails have a multitude of river crossings and there's plenty of opportunity for very short bits of mud even in the deepest, driest parts of summer. Most of the mud this time of year is on the gravel roads, which we often have to climb to find the singletrack.

I run full length fenders with flaps on my road/gravel/commute/touring bike. They're less for mud and more for dealing with puddles on the road.

mtbr member
    Where I ride the trails are multi use and not purpose built. If you couldn't ride them when wet/muddy you pretty much wouldn't be able to ride.

One of my two current bikes the shop built with fenders and when I was picking my bike up I made a comment and the mechanic was like, give them a try before you take them off.

I'm kind of surprised by how much I ended up appreciating them. As mentioned above they keep you, your bike and important things like stanchions and seals cleaner. And at this point weigh next to nothing and don't create any issues. My only complaint is aesthetic, I tend to like a bike without them -- but form should follow function, IMO, so I've left them on.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Front always for the stanchions and it keeps some spray off my face. Rear 1/2 the year to keep ass mould at bay and my dropper clean.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    Where I ride the trails are multi use and not purpose built. If you couldn't ride them when wet/muddy you pretty much wouldn't be able to ride.
    Scotland. Enough said.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I find them useful year round for reasons mentioned. Wider rims/ bigger tires=bigger contact patch=tire likes to throw more stuff.

*I'd also say it'd be nice to see some mini fenders with a wider cross section or boost specific. Boost fork stanchions don't enjoy the same coverage/protection as my non-boost fork.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    i have one mainly to keep my fork stanchions cleaner, especially near the seals. Haven't really taken my bike to go mud'n before...
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    I've no problem keeping my face and eyes mud-free at the possible expense of ball-busting peers. So, I am pro fender, as it were.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Use a downtube fender to keep my face and water bottle as clean as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    *I'd also say it'd be nice to see some mini fenders with a wider cross section or boost specific. Boost fork stanchions don't enjoy the same coverage/protection as my non-boost fork.
    Front Fender helpful / worth it-export-2895.jpg

https://www.syncros.com/us/en/produc...=2655960001222

mtbr member
    Funny, that's actually the exact fender I want and looked in earnest for on the net. I could only find them in the EU with exorbitant shipping to the US.

Do you know where I can get one stateside, or somewhere that has them in stock?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I've had many versions of fenders over the years and they all help some. Many variables, bike/fork, tires, type of terrain, speeds, etc.

I found on-line templates and customized for my new Kona. It's similar to the OP's link. All it takes is 4 zip-ties and a $1 plastic notebook made from 1mm poly you can get from Walmart or any office supply shop. Pick whatever color you like. I'm experimenting with a similar design for rear to keep BB, pivots and shock protected from muck. Lots of youtube ideas out there.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    A front fender keeps "most" (90%) of the mud out of your face, which is worth it. I don't see anyone not running one anymore. I am also starting to see a lot of people run another one on the seatstays to keep mud out of their rear linkages.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    On a wet trail earlier this year, I was getting dirt in my face! Added a front fender and no more dirt!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Funny, that's actually the exact fender I want and looked in earnest for on the net. I could only find them in the EU with exorbitant shipping to the US.

Do you know where I can get one stateside, or somewhere that has them in stock?
    I got mine here:

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/sy...330026/s578080

Shipping was as much as the fender - 15

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    A front fender keeps "most" (90%) of the mud out of your face, which is worth it. I don't see anyone not running one anymore.
    Ehh, actually...

mtbr member
    I have one on my suspension fork, mostly to keep crud off the stanchions. I can't verify this, but I believe keeping dirt out of the fork will extend its life to some degree.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Didn't like the taste of mud so yeah, fender.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Scotland. Enough said.
    Speaking of Scotland and whether or not a front fender is worth it, this video tests out what the difference is between having a fender or not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veH4WRj5_p4

mtbr member
    For all of the reasons above, yes! I put a ding in a Manitou Minute 140 stanchion with a rock that was caught between knobs on the front tire and ejected. Since putting fenders on all of my bikes I can't see how that can happen going forward (and it's been years since I've done it). For me it's cheap insurance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Front fenders are a must. Stanchion fenders are ok. But a good fender extends forward well over the front wheel. My stanchion fender has a small lip that extends over the front wheel; however, I still get mud on my face while riding fast, wet downhills.

Traditional front fenders are hard to come by these days. I used to run Dirt Digglers. But they are no longer available. Those were great fenders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd like to add that they aren't just for mud and water - some front tires like to kick sand and small rocks into your face (Michelin Rock'R2, I'm looking at you). A small front fender keeps that our of your eyes and mouth, so for some tires it's justified even in dry weather.

mtbr member
    I got stuck in muddy trail conditions a few months back (would have stayed home if I had known) and all the fender did was pack up with crap. Ending up cleaning out the fender every 5 feet just to get the wheel to roll. I removed it and haven't looked back. YMMV

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I run 4.8" tires on two different fatbikes and run bigassed fenders for slushy snow conditions and muddy fireroad/towpath rides.

Easily keeps 90% of the crap off. The whole world ends up on ya otherwise.

mtbr member
    I took my muckynutz fender and used it as a template. Wallyworld has a fourpack of plastic cutting boards, 25"X20" $4.00 red, orange, green, black. Or you can modify the shape. Outline, cut with scissors. I used a paper hole-punch for ziptie locations. This if you have a lot of bikes. Install your own stickers.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The long wet season is back and I have stepped up the war on mud. I always use a rear Mudggugger rear https://www.themudhugger.eu but have never been totally happy with front options, that is until now. Enter the RRP Proguard Max Protection RapidRacerProducts | ProGuard . My first ride with one I purposely charged into as many large puddles as I could find and finished with a clean face and clear eyes. It's big and dorky but worth every penny and gram.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Photos

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk