Front: Disc brake, Rear: V-brake, whats the plan?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Front: Disc brake, Rear: V-brake, whats the plan?

Hey, im new to this forum and im also fairly new to MTB freeriding. I dont have a really big base on bikes but i want to learn.

My first question question is...

I've seem some bikes that had front disc brakes and rear v-brakes. I never understood why, maybe you guys can light me up on this?

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Some frames don't have disc tabs on the rear, or since most braking is on the front wheel, the rider doesn't feel like they need a disc in the rear.

Derailleurless
    I did it for the same reason Dan stated -- no tabs on my frame. Ran Front Avid disc / rear V for a couple of seasons and loved it.

If you're riding in a relatively dry climate, this actually makes sense: braking performance is not affected, and cost and weight are saved.

I only switched to rear disc after I began building my own wheels, and looked at brake pads as graffiti on my (side) walls.

But otherwise, I'd happily run disc/V again.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Im asking this because i am considering maybe buying a Norco Havoc but the rear v-brake kinda turns me down as i usually brake with the rear brake.

As you can see in the picture below, there is taps for a rear disc brake.

My guess is that its probably just to lower the price a bit, makes sense?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah. If the rear hub is disc-combatible, going to a mech disc is easy enough, but if youre convinced you want F/R discs, Id look at something else.

That said, the front disc/rear V combo works quite well.

mtbr member
    You know like you I too was skeptical of this setup when I first started biking a couple years ago and saw bikes using it, then this year I was building up a given to me HT where the front brake worked like crap and kept a $hit load of noise. Instead of messing with the front V-brake I just put on an old 160mm disc brake I had spare and I was very surprised at how well the combo worked. Used the bike for Xc mainly, not sure if it's adequit for FR/DH type applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Personally, Id be more wary of a hardtail for FR/DH applications

mtbr member
    There may be a good reason for a v-brake on the rear of that bike. If it's intended to be used in any kind of urban assault riding, doing grinds and stuff coule easily destroy the rear rotor. If you're only going to DJ on it, disk should be ok.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    As far as I know, hardtails are still the preferred weapon of choice for street/freestyle/DJ type riding.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

over 50 years of cycling

Good job! Gonna do this one

Hey, this forum is GREAT!
    I have been debating this combo for my old Klein hardtail for years.
    I have a new fork with tabs, but no tabs for the back. Never had the nerve to gamble and buy a front disc just to try it out.

Now I think I will just swap over the whole fork and front disc from the Epic I am tearing down and update my Klein HT, which I use as my Urban Assault Vehicle.

Perfect!

Thanks for the tip and showing me its been done.

Oct 2006
    [QUOTE=IonicRipper]Im asking this because i am considering maybe buying a Norco Havoc but the rear v-brake kinda turns me down as i usually brake with the rear brake.

Most of your braking should come form the front brake. It's where most pf the power is. The rear is used too but I generally think its a 67/ 33 % split -rear/front braking power. Of course you don't wanna toss yourself over the Hbars.
    Welcome to the sport.
    Peace.
    e

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IonicRipper
    Im asking this because i am considering maybe buying a Norco Havoc but the rear v-brake kinda turns me down as i usually brake with the rear brake.

As you can see in the picture below, there is taps for a rear disc brake.

My guess is that its probably just to lower the price a bit, makes sense?
    Yes this is likely a way to cut the cost. I have two thoughts on this:

1. Check to see if the rear wheel is disc compatable. If it is, then you can always upgrade the rear to disc rather cheaply (less than $100).

2. You should learn to use the front brake more. Increased control, stronger braking, and it tears the trail up less. As you ride longer you learn when to lay off the front, but it's really not that often. This is why people can get away with stronger brakes in the front. In fact, you will notice that some people with discs purposely run a larger rotor in the front.

Oct 2006
    Thanks kapusta. iknew ther was more and greater reasons for the front brake being used more.
    You put it quite eloquently.

Members who have read this thread: 1