Friends that don't get it- Mtbr.com
    undercover brother

Friends that don't get it

I'm sure we all have them... Friends who aren't into biking and just don't understand why you sink so much money into your bikes. I've got friends who drop their jaws and shake their heads when they hear how much some of the components on my bikes are, and I don't even have that high end of stuff. The inevitable "Why?". The same who think that the bikes at Dick's are high end. I try not to sound snobby and just mention things like strength and reliability, but the discussion just ends up going to the "yea, but its just a bike man", then I try and hold back the rage of "ITS NOT JUST A BIKE... ITS A... ITS... ITS A GOOD BIKE! IT GOES REAL FAST!!"

At least my GF is finally starting to understand. She sympathizes a little more with me when she finds out I purchased some new and expensive. Shes real into climbing and camping, so she understands the importance of good gear.

mtbr member
    most of my riding friends are like this. i was helping one the other day find a new bike and when i showed him price tags of complete FS AM/Trail bikes he said "man, im not a professional, i just want to ride"

this same guy owns a lamborghini gallardo in a town where the max speed limit is 65mph!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is an article on the last page of the latest dirt rag magazine the talks about bike budget. It compares many things at the price per hour. Such as spending $80 for a night at the bar.

You know Miller high life is titled the champagne of beers

I wonder if your friends drink cheap beer or cheap booze.....
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

bust a move
    Nobody in my entire circle gets me and my addiction. I don't get theirs either...I have a friend who's hobby is gambling and says mtb is too expensive. I just stopped explaining any of it unless someone asks me directly about it. Last month I was trimming the hedges in my side yard and I overhear the neighbor say to her husband " That freaking nut job rides his bike everyday...for Christ's sake"
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ridealot View Post
    Nobody in my entire circle gets me and my addiction. I don't get theirs either...I have a friend who's hobby is gambling and says mtb is too expensive. I just stopped explaining any of it unless someone asks me directly about it. Last month I was trimming the hedges in my side yard and I overhear the neighbor say to her husband " That freaking nut job rides his bike everyday...for Christ's sake"
    I never anticipated the bug to bite me as hard as it has, and I don't see it subsiding anytime soon unfortunately. But, I spend my money on my bikes. I don't go out and blow it on booze. I don't blow it on electronics.

High Desert MTBer
    My wife was a little incredulous about the money I spent on getting my bikes when I got back into riding more wholeheartedly a few years ago, but after the initial outlay, she is coming around as I do not spend a lot of money on this sport. I do almost all my maintenance and repairs myself, and troll around online for good deals on replacement parts, and apart from tires and sealant, and various lubes etc this is not a particularly expensive hobby/lifestyle. Sure if you are the bike 'addict' that has to get new stuff all the time it can be very expensive, but for the more 'normal' MTBer, it does not need to be. As far as bang for the buck goes, this sport is a winner!
    It's all Here. Now.

Ho'lier than thou
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    I'm sure we all have them... Friends who aren't into biking and just don't understand why you sink so much money into your bikes. I've got friends who drop their jaws and shake their heads when they hear how much some of the components on my bikes are, and I don't even have that high end of stuff. The inevitable "Why?".
    I'd just tell them to mind their own business.

It's interesting how self-righteous people are. Somehow, their 200mph sport cars, 800-hp diesel pickup grocery-getters, dirtbikes, quads, jewelries, shoes, tattoos, fancy clothes, traveling overseas, gambling, et al are their lives' "necessities", but somehow your MTB is just a bike.

Note I have no problem people spending money on those things (unless they are on welfare), as long as they have no problem with me spending my money how I see fit.

mtbr member
    Just about anyone with disposable income and an interest in something will blow money on it cuz it's fun. Fun to try something new, something better, and usually something you don't really need. But we do it if we can. Bikes, cars, tools, watches, women, golf clubs - whatever floats your boat.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Just about anyone with disposable income and an interest in something will blow money on it cuz it's fun. Fun to try something new, something better, and usually something you don't really need. But we do it if we can. Bikes, cars, tools, watches, women, golf clubs - whatever floats your boat.
    Golf Clubs! That's one that they blow their money on. To each his own. This hobby makes me truly happy, and if it takes money to keep doing it, then I guess thats where its going.

Terrain Sculptor
    Almost everyone has a passion or hobby they spend money on. It doesn't happen very often anymore because I've been riding for 50 years but when my friends ask, I point out their hobby or passion. If they still don't get it, they never will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bikes have been alot cheaper than my previous ATV hobby. I spent thousands a year on the stuff not including the new suzuki LTR450 that the wife had a fit about. One used atv and 2 new ones in about 4 years time. And the time i spent cleaning and driving to ride the same trails. I think I mostly got bored with the same trails and all the work that went into it.

Now back into mtn biking for about a year now. I wash the bike when needed and if it needs work i drop it off at the shop without sticker shock on the price for the repair (so far anyway).
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    I think the perception is that riding bikes is still a kid's activity. So when people see me riding my bike to work, they probably think that I'm either poor or lost my license due to DUI or something.

It works both ways though, I rag on those kids who spend thousands "modifying" their cars with fart cans and LEDs and spinners.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    thats a nice bike. how much did that cost? $3000. what? I could buy a car for that

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Get new friends. You find them on the trail, and when your cooler is open

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by lone ranger nh View Post
    thats a nice bike. how much did that cost? $3000. what? I could buy a car for that
    $3 grand? I could buy 6 cars for that.
    That's about a bike and a half for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This sport is phenomenally cheaper than my other sport of choice (road racing motorcycles). That said I still have some friends that are confused as to how I can spend so much on something without an engine. All things considered though I like the fact that for me anyway at my level all I need is the bike and a helmet and I can go out when I want and have a good time. I had the helmet already (dirt bike helmet) so my only cost was a bike and so far I havent spent a penny more. Hope to keep it that way for a while.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post

You know Miller high life is titled the champagne of beers

I wonder if your friends drink cheap beer or cheap booze.....

Hey! I am a beer connoisseur. A long time ago I figured out that most American beer is only wanna-be beer. Watered down, additives, etc is quite common. However, Miller High Life is the only American beer I will drink. It may not be as strong, but it tastes clean and does not give me that cheap alcohol feeling during or afterwards. It is only inexpensive because it is not marketed heavily. Genuine draft is mediocre at best, but more popular because advertising says so.

I do agree that most people think it is a kid thing and probably why they do not understand. It is a bit pricey, but that comes with the technology advances compared to actual demand for the products. They have to pay for R&D and initial manufacturing costs and it is not as heavily diluted as fuel powered vehicles, or computers, or cell phone industries.

The way I look at it, is it is a lot cheaper than other hobbies I would like to get into like boating, or classic cars, or RV'ing, or being a playboy. The most expensive bike you can own is a lot cheaper than the luxery hobbies the baby boomers were priviledged enough to enjoy.
    They call me non-sequitur

DFMBA.org
    If people think mountain biking is expensive try owning a boat.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    If people think mountain biking is expensive try owning a boat.

FACT

PS I love the tag line thanks for the laugh.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    My bike only cost $600 and people look at me crazy. It's the same price as an Xbox, 1 yr Live service and a couple of games...and I get WAY more out of it. It's also around the same price as a 1yr gym membership and it's way more fun. People will spend money on things they enjoy casually, or are super into. This just happens to be our thing. Though once you get the riding bug, it becomes a bit more of an addiction than the gym, Xbox, Ultimate Frisbee or whatever you're into.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsymage View Post
    Hey! I am a beer connoisseur. A long time ago I figured out that most American beer is only wanna-be beer. Watered down, additives, etc is quite common. However, Miller High Life is the only American beer I will drink. It may not be as strong, but it tastes clean and does not give me that cheap alcohol feeling during or afterwards. It is only inexpensive because it is not marketed heavily. Genuine draft is mediocre at best, but more popular because advertising says so.
    LOL, you're no beer connoisseur.

Turns right, slides left
    You should have seen the look on my neighbor’s face when I told him how much my Yeti cost…

Actually the MTB obsession is kind of cheap when compared with other interests. Three or four grand buys a bike which is the absolute pinnacle of technology and quality (stuff the Pros use) and it will last for years. For comparison, look at the cost involved in two or four wheeled motorsports of any kind.

Professional Crastinator
    The people who know me have long stopped questioning me. They know and accept "the lifestyle".
    My wife had a pretty good idea, but was still shocked when I bought my last bike. At that point she decided that she HAD to have a carbon fiber rowing shell (= 2 decent bikes, which almost evens us out ). She still doesn't get the riding in the dark, in the rain, on very large slippery rocks, through muddy puddles, and up soul-withering climbs ...in fact, now that she has tried MTBing (and is not yet very good at it) she understands it even less.

But what I tell people who ask is that I spent all my $$$ up front, and now every mile is payback. Anyone who goes skiing (which I like), golfing (which I like), dining (which I like), fishing (which I like), traveling (which I like), hunting (which I like),etc. has to pay as you go. Heck, a massage is at least $1/minute. If I had to pay $1/minute for MTBing I'd be flat broke.
    I'd say it's a great investment and time well-spent away from a shrink's couch (THIS my wife understands ).

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsymage View Post
    A long time ago I figured out that most American beer is only wanna-be beer. Watered down, additives, etc is quite common. However, Miller High Life is the only American beer I will drink.
    man, i couldnt even drink high life in high school.

have you really tried any american brews? you prefer high life over dogfish head or an arrogant bastard?

@ OP - i have a golfing friend who doesnt bike and is amazed at what ive spent on bikes (which is not too much compared to many of you). he then spends 50-80 dollars every time he wants to tee off.

Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    You should have seen the look on my neighbor’s face when I told him how much my Yeti cost…
    I get the same response with my Yeti

And anyone that does not ride bikes first reaction is, but it does not have a engine

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    The people who know me have long stopped questioning me. They know and accept "the lifestyle".
    My wife had a pretty good idea, but was still shocked when I bought my last bike. At that point she decided that she HAD to have a carbon fiber rowing shell (= 2 decent bikes, which almost evens us out ). She still doesn't get the riding in the dark, in the rain, on very large slippery rocks, through muddy puddles, and up soul-withering climbs ...in fact, now that she has tried MTBing (and is not yet very good at it) she understands it even less.

But what I tell people who ask is that I spent all my $$$ up front, and now every mile is payback. Anyone who goes skiing (which I like), golfing (which I like), dining (which I like), fishing (which I like), traveling (which I like), hunting (which I like),etc. has to pay as you go. Heck, a massage is at least $1/minute. If I had to pay $1/minute for MTBing I'd be flat broke.
    I'd say it's a great investment and time well-spent away from a shrink's couch (THIS my wife understands ).

-F
    If I didn't have biking, I'd go insane.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If I didn't have biking, I'd go insane.
    this....

just came back from an hour and a half ride. dropped it twice, broke the shifter right off, and cut up the leg. but I could still ride 'singlespeed style' after breaking the shifter for another half hour.

had a great ride. mid december, right around freezing.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just try not to talk about how much it costs. the only time it comes up is when they talk about buying a bike. I'm one of those people that keep getting new (to me) bikes. I've only been riding in the dirt for 4 years and have owned about 6 bikes. I've been constantly trying to find the bike that suits my riding style. I spent about $1200 once on a used bike. 4 bikes later I've only spent about $200 more on complete bikes. (I've of course spent money on maintenance/replacement parts). The used market has been pretty good to me.

Also, most of my non-riding friends have country club memberships at the local TPC course. Their disbelief in my spending is met with equal disbelief in their spending.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I was into drag racing before mtb'ing! I just got burnt out on it and sold everything I had and used the money in search of a new hobby. You should see the looks I get when I see someone from the track and they ask what I have been up to since quitting racing and I tell them I ride bicycles!!

Pound for pound, riding bikes is way cheaper than any motorsports......... I could buy my dream bike for what I just spent in entry fee's to races in a year!! I could have bought 3 or 4 dream bikes for what it cost me in maintenance!!

My new favorite hobby, taking care of my kids, takes up most of my disposable income these days!!

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quality bikes and components are extremely overpriced, period. Especially when your start comparing to something like motocross.

That said, I have no problem paying for quality overpriced parts when its something I enjoy and use this much.

If they don't get it, you cant explain it. You need to crawl before you can walk. Let them crawl.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So many of these stories are cracking me up. Honestly, I haven't even bought my first mtnbk yet but I'm in the market for something to get me started. My last hobby was frisbee golf and that's more than affordable. For the past few months I've been bringing it up in my circle to see who else is down. So far I get a lot of positive feed back but nobody wants to see me spend the money. That seems to be the thing everywhere I turn, don't spend the ****ing money! But it's not about the money! I guess that's why they don't get it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    most of my riding friends are like this. i was helping one the other day find a new bike and when i showed him price tags of complete FS AM/Trail bikes he said "man, im not a professional, i just want to ride"

this same guy owns a lamborghini gallardo in a town where the max speed limit is 65mph!
    LOL - sounds like my brother who drives a BMW, a tricked out exhaust piped carbon seated god knows what else Ducati and a Yamaha XJ12 for taking his wife for a ride. Decides that mtn biking might be fun, goes to K-Mart and lays out $320 total for a his and hers set of mtn bikes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My girlfriend was trippin' about it until I took her on a few rides with my mom's bike and promised to help her get her own. Now she gets pumped about new components

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think people go through three stages. (Like grief? Or was that five...)

1. WTF?? It's just a bike. I could buy a pretty nice motorcycle for that!
    2. MUST HAVE CARBON. What does your bike weigh? I think I can get another 20g off of this bike... (Alternatively, MUST HAVE ONE MORE INCH OF TRAVEL. There's a weird offset bolt. Etc.)
    3. WTF. It's just a bike. It goes, stops, shifts and I'm happy.

Although 3 is different because after the component obsession period, people figure out that getting everything to go, stop and shift is a little tougher than just buying a Box Store bike.

Maybe it's five stages.

1. Anger. How dare the bike industry try to make me pay so much money for something without an engine!?
    2. Denial. It can't possibly be better. I'm going to go buy a Walgoose.
    3. Bargaining. If I bolt a bunch of X0 and a suspension fork that cost twice what the bike did onto this POS, it will magically become nice and somehow that will have been less wasteful than buying something nicer to begin with.
    4. Acceptance. Walgooses suck.
    5. Well, they put the "do not ride off-road" sticker on there for a reason.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by p2rider426 View Post
    My girlfriend was trippin' about it until I took her on a few rides with my mom's bike and promised to help her get her own. Now she gets pumped about new components
    ^^^This is how I got a guy at work into MTBing. First we convinced him to get a bike. ~$350 Trek (easy money for him).
    He said the first outing was harder than he expected, but also more fun than he expected.
    Then I let him try my bike (MCR9 29er), as part of a diabolical plot to sell it to him.
    He was instantly like "Holy crap that thing flys!" (compared to the heavy, ill-fitting, Trek 26er)

Then he went out and bought a SuperFly, just like that. He's hooked.

And in Karmic balance, I sold the MCR for a decent sum.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Ariolimax columbianus
    growing up in the sf bay area riding bikes and skateboards i remember looking at the rockhoppers and stumpjumpers @ the lbs and knowing i could never afford one. i got a diamond back, then a cannondale, then the 90's came i got a rock lobster. i also watched friends get nice road and mt. bikes. it was nice to grow up in a community and area where people rode bikes.

now i live in the monterey bay area, a lot of folks ride around here, i have friends that work @ shops, local frame builders etc. what sucks is listening to how much my friends that work @ shops really get things for, or just wanting all the killer accessories for anything bike related. generator hubs for commuting/touring, usb chargers that run off said hubs, badass full suspension bikes, the latest and greatest blah blah. i think i'm up to 6 running bikes now, and probably 10 bikes all together with a few in various stages of repair.

maybe y'all need to move, plenty of people around here ride, plenty don't. what freaks me out more is seeing folks in cars everyday on my cyclocommute, almost killing themselves driving to get to work. passing people on two lane rural roads, putting on make up, cell phones, eating/drinking, yelling @ their children. most folks is too fat and will probably be hitting that diabetic demographic soon anyways, probably not even be fit enough to work.

Serenity now!
    I used to be one of those people who shook their heads and did not get the $$ outlay for any hobby.
    Boats? Golf? Motorcycles? Snowmobiles? All crazy wastes of money and not worth it in my book.

Now I totally get it. I have a second job to save money for my purchases so I don't have to feel guilty or try to justify my spending. Just bought my 4th bike (a Yeti) and I'm calculating how soon I can get a fat tire bike.
    Duchess of Dab

mtbr member
    My wife invited about 50 people over for a Festivus party tomorrow. Only three of them ride. At least I'll have someone to talk to about the merits of a Paul Keeper vs a BBG Bashwich for a 1x9 setup instead of Volvo wagons and how great Obama is.

mtbr member
    My real passion is sailing. Biking is cheap. In the last 2 years I have probably spent 10% of my boating expenditures on biking(including a new 2011 Hifi dlx). My wife is also an avid sailor and mountain biker. She has no problem with spending money on toys. She would rather have fun than have money.

None of my friends judge me openly but then again, most of my friends also sail. The ones that don't sail ski. At least once you have the bike, the enjoyment is fairly low cost if you take good care of your bike.

mtbr member
    Cycling is an expensive sport/hobby to get into though. Golf would be pretty bad. You don't see golfers with Go Pro cameras strapped to their heads so they can watch their game later.

Or do you?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Cycling is an expensive sport/hobby to get into though. Golf would be pretty bad. You don't see golfers with Go Pro cameras strapped to their heads so they can watch their game later.

Or do you?
    That's true - it's an expensive hobby to get into. I pulled a fast one on the wife by buying my bike piecemeal (i.e. frame, parts etc etc) so she didn't feel it added up to that much.

...that's what she gets for buying a $400 BMX for the kid. Told her that I should get a bike so I can keep up with the kid.... heh heh...

-S

mtbr member
    the starting costs of biking are steep but riding is free. think about how much lift tickets, tee times, target gun ammo/range fees, pool table rental, etc will cost someone after a few yrs. you can still have the same bike and have spent $30 on tubes, 50 on lube and 30 for a new bottom bracket.
    add up the wife's/gf's hobbys next time she gives you a hard time. you know- shoes, nails, hair, purse money.

for someone who doesnt know if they will stick with it for the long run, a 4k bike might not be a good idea. but for someone who rides a few times a week, spending a good amount on a nice bike the first time may save you from having bought 5 mediocre bikes after a few yrs...

i like to have the most fun possible on the free time that i have. thats why i have nice toys for the few hobbys i do. i dont mind driving my honda civic with plastic hubs everyday.

hope this helps someone next time they get assaulted by loved ones and office a-holes for having a hobby that is super fun and healthy !

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've been biking since the 90's, but had a long break until recently...

And yes, I have come across so many people asking me why I spend so much time and money, not only with the bikes, but for the hobby... It is not only friends and family, even workmates, neighbors all come in and judge you..

I am just fortunate that I have a very supportive girlfriend who is helping me get back into cycling, despite not being into cycling..

Anyway, most people would tell me the bikes cost as much as motorcycles and I still pedal.. and the laugh and say it is impractical..

Well, they miss the whole point..

I usually tell them, my Bike has saved my life... while my Lazy Boy + flat screen TV tried to take my life from me several times already... It costs the same...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I don't think mtn biking is expensive at all. You can make at as cheap or as expensive as you like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcisok View Post
    I get the same response with my Yeti

And anyone that does not ride bikes first reaction is, but it does not have a engine
    Its just a different kind of engine. We still burn something for energy...

Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    If people think mountain biking is expensive try owning a boat/jetski

I rebuilt 3 engines while i had my Jet Ski

Ended up selling to get back into Mt Bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0