Fox warranty ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fox warranty ?

mtbr member

Fox warranty ?

I bought a SC TallboyLTC frame and a Fox float 34 fork from Bike Bling about a month ago. I was really stoked on the two items, but i noticed a couple of big scratchs on the fork after i got home. No big deal, its gonna get scratched anyway. Long story short, my mechanic calls the next day and asked if this fork was off another bike?!?!? He told me the top out spring on this fork was broke!!! WTF....... I had no idea, so I called Kerry at Bling and told him what was going on. When i told him that i had planned a trip up to downiesville and was leaving early the next day, he said no problem, bring it in when you get back

My buddy told me the fork would work with the broken top out spring, but would be really annoying. I had no other option at that point so I rode for four days with a jacked up front end. I brought the fork back immediately after returning home. I was told FOX really wanted the fork back and they would let me know when they hear something.

My question for you is, FOX will more than likely warranty the fork and give me a new one, but if they don't and i get a rebuilt fork back, what recourse do i have with Bling? I paid for a new fork and expect a new fork in return. Just wanna get a few opinions if anybody has had this happen before. Thx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My take.

Is it possible you might have bought an OEM "take-off" fork? Big operators buy closeout bikes and part them out and sell all the parts and make a nice profit for their trouble. Its still a new (never been used) but has been installed part.

Did you not inspect the fork in Bike Blings store? The time to inspect a product bought at the store is at the store. Not trying to be mean but that's kind of common sense, isn't it? Once the fork left BB you could have dropped it, scratched it, etc.

Fox will fix the fork you sent them and you'll get a properly working fork back that you can go rock the trail on for many miles to come.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    We aren't Bike Bling.
    Can't do thing for you beyond telling you want you want to hear or don't want to hear.
    Best thing to do is/was to explain to Bike Bling what your expectations are.
    They said they would take care of you, but it's obvious what you want is a fresh and new fork.
    Problems will arise if the retailer's definition of "take care of you" is different than yours.
    Best to come to agreement on that part ahead of time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    My take.

Is it possible you might have bought an OEM "take-off" fork? Big operators buy closeout bikes and part them out and sell all the parts and make a nice profit for their trouble. Its still a new (never been used) but has been installed part.

Did you not inspect the fork in Bike Blings store? The time to inspect a product bought at the store is at the store. Not trying to be mean but that's kind of common sense, isn't it? Once the fork left BB you could have dropped it, scratched it, etc.

Fox will fix the fork you sent them and you'll get a properly working fork back that you can go rock the trail on for many miles to come.
    Still waiting to hear from FOX before i say anything, but it seems logical that the fork was on a bike previously and over inflated, removed and stuffed in a box for my consumption. I called Kerry at Bling before the thing was ever ridden and he said it had to be sent back to fox either way, so go ride it and bring it in when you get back. This isnt a big deal, but i was curious to see if anyone has had this problem before

I pulled the frame out of the box and gave it a 10 minute inspection with no problems. I pulled the fork out of the box and looked it over, and found nothing. I guess i spent too much time on the frame to really notice the small scratchs. I could care less about the scratchs, its the spring being broke out of the box that has me pissed. Thx for the reply.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezusChrist View Post
    We aren't Bike Bling.
    Can't do thing for you beyond telling you want you want to hear or don't want to hear.
    Best thing to do is/was to explain to Bike Bling what your expectations are.
    They said they would take care of you, but it's obvious what you want is a fresh and new fork.
    Problems will arise if the retailer's definition of "take care of you" is different than yours.
    Best to come to agreement on that part ahead of time.
    Thats why i asked for opinions from folks that may have had this happen to them. Thanks

Plays with tools
    Get your spring replaced and go about your ride. If your not worried about a couple of blems I can't imagine that fixing your current fork is an issue but it seems like it might be.

mtbr member
    I sent my fork back to fox and it was promptly returned within a few weeks. First ride out, the same problem was still there. After talking with Mike at Fox, he said their world cup mechanic did a once over and found the fork was in fine working condition. When I told him that wasn't possible, he said send it back again. He was very helpful during this whole mess so I can't complain with that, but your "World Cup" mechanic says its fine, when it clearly doesn't work is not acceptable.

I sent mike a message asking what was wrong with the fork and when would it be returned. He sent me a generic message saying that their 'World Cup" mechanic had put the wrong size damper in. When I asked why the damper was changed when it was deemed a fine working fork in the first place, I never got a message back. Oh well.....it works now, but I gotta wonder who this world cup mechanic is and who's pro rigs he's actually working on. Very disapointing

It's about showing up.
    All my Fox interactions have ended well. Bling is the issue here; the fork is their problem, not yours. In a perfect world they would just reach into their stock and send you a fresh shock.

Keep us posted.
    I don't rattle.

Members who have read this thread: 0