mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Fork advice - Trek Mamba 2013

Hi All,

I just made a major upgrade to a Trek Mamba after trying many bikes.
    I got a little hosed on the price, but couldn't resist the feel of the bike.

So far, I've added clipless pedals, a 65mm Havoc stem and bars (more comfortable for me), and ordered a WTB Pure V seat and EA70 post.

After finally getting weather where I could ride today, I notice the shock is spongey and just all around terrible.
    It is a Rockshox XC32 fork, and from online studying it seems that I could upgrade to a firmer spring and install a new Argyle MoCo Compression Damper.

Two problems though,
    1.) I cannot find the firmer spring anywhere local or online.
    2.) I am not sure if it's worth it to work on this fork.

After buying and setting up my bike, and getting my wife a Myka Elite - my resources are tapped. That being said, I don't want to bounce all over the trails for a few months while I squirrel away money for a new shock.

So this is where I defer to the knowledge of those with way more experience than me here on MTBR.com.

Any advice on whether the ideas I've listed really work on this shock?
    Is it even worth putting money into keeping it going?
    Has anyone ran into the firmer springs for this online? SRAM lists them in their part list, but I cannot for the life of me find them anywhere.

Your reply's are really appreciated
    .Fork advice - Trek Mamba 2013-camerazoom-20140329175644649.jpgFork advice - Trek Mamba 2013-camerazoom-20140329175657294.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    XC32 is entry level, nothing more. Sounds like you have half answered your own question by doing research. My opinion, why polish a tird? Save up some $$ and upgrade. I've always been a fox fan but have felt the new rock shox revelation and pike and was impressed, so looks like rock shox has turned it around. Would probably shave 2lbs off of your bike. If that doesn't work you could contact rock shox direct and price the parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the advice.
    I love Fox forks.
    G2 geometry seems hard to come by in Fox or RockShox used though and new is too steep.

Other fear I have with a new fork is my rims. Right now I am running 9mm QR. If I upgrade a fork it seems best to go with a 15mm thru axle, but then I am adding a new Hub or wheelset to the cost of that fork.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I didn't even think about the G2, a couple years back there were better deals on the the G2's on ebay due to the fact that they are limited to trek and salsa. For some odd reason front wheels (no rear) are in abundance on ebay and fairly cheap. Would be worth a look.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Your hub might be convertible to thru axle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That would be incredible. Any idea if there is a way to tell by looking at it? Or do I need to google the specific hub?
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sram has good tech support. Call and ask if the part is available. If so your lbs can get BTI or QBP to order it or call the guys at TreeFort to do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I'm a little confused by the offset concept.... I have a Trek Mamba 2012 and i love it, even with the original forks and brakes. It's my beloved cheap bike, but getting more and more expensive as i keep buying it things.

I have upgraded:
    - Brakes to Shimano XT
    - Pedals to Crank Brothers Double Shot
    - New and same 3*9 Shimano Alivio it had before
    - KS ETEN R Dropper 27.2 100MM (will arrive soon)
    - Tubeless Continental XKing 2.2

... and now 'm looking to buy a Rockshox Recon SoloAir with a Straight Tube and quick release.

My local Rockshox/Sram dealer said it will fit any bike with Quickrelease and a straight tube. Is there anything else i should look at ¿? The Fork Part number is 00.419.910.002

Do you guys think it will make a significant upgrade against the original XC TK 32 ¿?

I use for XC, Trail, Asphalt, and TACX Galaxia Rollers to improve my fitness for a race in about 6 months.

I'm also saving for a FUEL EX 9.8 2019 as soon as it gets released to get a little more comfortable on the harder Trails...
    I'm a Trek Fan and have a decent deal with them as i work with the distributor here in Chile.