Forbidden Bike Co Druid- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

https://reviews.mtbr.com/meet-forbid...-the-new-druid

There is a thread in AM but that doesn't get a lot of traffic. This is a big deal locally here in Cumberland but it's also a fairly unique design and is of general bike nerd interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-forbidden_print-14.jpg  

Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

No known cure
    What's old is new again. It instantly reminds me of a 1993 GT RTS

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/g...-updated-4.jpg
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Hisforever
    going to be thrashing one soon enough
    Jesus Saves

Pipedream Moxie
    Orbea Rallon sb 130
    Transition Sentinel
    Evil Undead
    Yz 250

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Or Balfa BB7 for the high pivot with roller...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    The one fella I know who's been on one for a while loves it and says "it's the best climbing bike I've been on". I should be able to demo soon. They look very good in person and unlike some new bikes have good tire clearance.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    It’s so nice to see some real innovation in the mtb industry right now. Does anyone know what tyre clearance the Druid will have?...

mtbr member
    This is what FBC posted on NSMB. "Most 2.6s will fit but the clearance is at the limit of what we feel acceptable. We recommend a good size 2.4 or 2.5."

Here is the tech doc. 2.4 recommended, 2.6 max. Clearance looked good on the one I saw.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    This is what FBC posted on NSMB. "Most 2.6s will fit but the clearance is at the limit of what we feel acceptable. We recommend a good size 2.4 or 2.5."

Here is the tech doc. 2.4 recommended, 2.6 max. Clearance looked good on the one I saw.
    Thanks very much Travis!

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Or Balfa BB7 for the high pivot with roller...
    I always wanted to try one out.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've wanted a high single pivot bike with an idler setup for ages, a bit more travel though. I've always wondered why they don't make the idler position adjustable via some means to adjust the antisquat on the fly or at least manually.

mtbr member
    I wonder how much extra friction on pedaling the upper pulley generates. Unlike the derailleur pulleys it is under pedaling force tension.

mtbr member
    So amped to see this finally available! Have been considering a leftover supreme SX but its a lot of bike for me. This Druid is definitely bringing the high pivot witchcraft to a wheelsize and travel that is usable for my local trails and ability.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...rail-bike.html

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/forbidden-druid-review/

https://nsmb.com/articles/introducin...n-bikes-druid/
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Druid or Knolly Fugitive

@Travis Bickle: Can you post a comparison once you've ridden the Druid? As far as I remember you own a Fugitive

mtbr member
    We will be comparing them. The guys I work with are much better riders than I am, we all ride a large, and are all very familiar with the Fugitive. I can't imaging a better bike than the Fugitive but I'm ready to be convinced.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Great I'm wondering how the bikes compare in low speed enviroments (techy stuff) and high speed descents. One review claimed that the druid (like other high pivot bikes) is difficult to manual/bunny hop... I'm interested in your opinion once you rode the druid.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing more real world experiences. On fast, chunky and rooty descents it must be super plush.

This animation of a jedi suspension, does a good job at illustrating some of the benefits of a rearward axle path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Df3kmYnOUs
    greener pastures

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/g...-updated-4.jpg

Yep, beat me to it.

Should be interesting to see how this new one plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    We will be comparing them. The guys I work with are much better riders than I am, we all ride a large, and are all very familiar with the Fugitive. I can't imaging a better bike than the Fugitive but I'm ready to be convinced.
    TB - in addition to all your other observations, please let us know if you feel greater driveline resistance compared to a non-HSP set up, and if so, the extent of it and whether this should be a consideration for prospective purchasers. Thanks.

EDIT: just saw CrozCountry's post above. I think we have the same question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    TB - in addition to all your other observations, please let us know if you feel greater driveline resistance compared to a non-HSP set up, and if so, the extent of it and whether this should be a consideration for prospective purchasers. Thanks.

EDIT: just saw CrozCountry's post above. I think we have the same question.
    I couldn't imagine it'd be that much drag or the reviewers would have mentioned it. IMHO, it cant be anywhere close to the drag of running a minion in the back or tire inserts.

I tell you Mike, I'm ready to jump ship for this one.
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I couldn't imagine it'd be that much drag or the reviewers would have mentioned it. IMHO, it cant be anywhere close to the drag of running a minion in the back or tire inserts.

I tell you Mike, I'm ready to jump ship for this one.
    I know what bikes you have had and enjoyed.

That's quite a statement.

As for driveline resistance, the issue was raised in the PB comments. It seems like a legit thing to either confirm or dispel. I can't think of a better man than TB to do so.

mtbr member
    I know what bikes you have had and enjoyed.

That's quite a statement.

As for driveline resistance, the issue was raised in the PB comments. It seems like a legit thing to either confirm or dispel. I can't think of a better man than TB to do so.
    If im gonna be stuck with a single pivot, it might as well be a high one.

Totall agree, feedback on this is much appreciated (but must admit to not caring enough about idler drag to keep me from buying one)
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 04-07-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

Cool advertising video anyway.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    My boss loves it, and I hope to get some test riding this week. Home trails in the video😋.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    My boss loves it, and I hope to get some test riding this week. Home trails in the video😋.
    Travis, since you’ve become Legbacon I’ve noticed a more easy going demeanor. There’s a few others in here that could benefit from a username change.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I like when he puts the power down at :46. The ass end of that bike is not bobbing. At all. Same with the out of the saddle climbing at :18.

When you watch Blenki blasting on the Aurum HSP, he is pedalling lots. Maybe more than anyone else out there. Again, with no discernible pedal bob (and, reportedly, no pedal kickback).

The Druid with that HSP driveline/linkage seems to provide a rock solid pedalling platform, yet be incredibly fast and compliant through the square edged hits. For all the apparent witchcraft and wizardry going on, it is puzzling why there are so few HSP bikes out there at the moment. Perhaps with the undeniable success of the Commencal team (and, to a lesser extent, the Norco team), and now with the launch of the Druid in the aggressive trail category, all that is about to change.

mtbr member
    I think we will see a few more high pivot bikes come out. There are plenty of different suspension designs now and I'm sure this will continue to evolve. Looks like i will get a good test ride in because this week looks dry, sunny, cool, and tacky. Mountainbike Heaven. Will it surpass the Knolly Fugitive? I'm doubtful that it's possible but, I am ready to be convinced.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The Fugitive is a bad ass, kick ass bike. It sets an exceedingly high bar.

At minimum, my bet is that you will find the Druid's fit and finish (i.e.; quality of construction) to be exceptional. After that, it's anyone's guess.

Eagerly awaiting all your observations...
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Going to give it a try this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well it's great looking, that's for sure.

mtbr member

Eagerly awaiting all your observations...
    and one more

Going to give it a try this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Oh hell yeah!
    greener pastures

Holy chain length Batman!!

Don’t over complicate it Robin.

mtbr member
    Hotness!! Looking forward to the ride report, let me know if there's a Fugitive frame going cheap...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

The stoke is high. Very high.

Patiently awaiting Legbacon's review...

mtbr member

The stoke is high. Very high pivot.
    fixed it for ya'

After seeing this druid, i had to get in on some of this high pivot witchcraft myself
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    ...After seeing this druid, i had to get in on some of this high pivot witchcraft myself
    Nice. Do tell.

I did too. I hope to be posting something further later today...
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Based on that video...is it an eBike?

The only time the riders legs moved was when he was PUSHING THE BIKE up hill?!?

mtbr member
    I took it out for a couple of hours yesterday and then handed it off to a workmate who's 2 bikes are down right now. He instructs MTB at Whistler over the summer so I look forward to his take.

A little about me. 60 years old, live for the descents, ride 4 days a week, not afraid to climb, intermediate skills and lots of times in the top 10% on black descending trails ( some of these on a HT) My personal bikes are a Pipedream Moxie and a Knolly Fugitive.

The Druid. We set the sag at the shop, I checked the tire pressure and swapped the brake to right front. I left the 50mm stem and 20mm rise bar. Ideally I would run a 40mm stem and flat or 10mm rise bar an this bike. I was a bit too upright. I should have taken the time to swap the pedals from the Saints to my XTR Trail, it turn out the pins on the Saints made it very hard to unclip . The large Druid fit my stumpy legged 5'9" body quite well with a nice steep STA. The drivetrain did not have drag that I noticed, but the Minions with Cushcore did. That and it was my 3rd day in a row riding. It was my first time on AXS Eagle and I am not used to it, so shifting wasn't intuitive for me. With my build kit the test would have gone smoother. The drivetrain does make a slight noise, sounds like the lower chain guide. I don't like the moss colour but the bike looks great. The frame had room for my 1 litre water bottle with spare for a frame make or the like. My legs didn't rub anywhere. FBC is located in town here and the shop I work at PT is a dealer. I don't think this biased my opinion???

The good.

1. This bike carries speed in the rough. Like to go fast, you will love this aspect, I did. I think its the rearward axle path that helps here. It felt smooth but without being very plush. Plush enough, especially when you consider it's only got 130mm out back.

2. It is a great climber. I noticed some bob with the shock open on my way to the trailhead. I flipped the climb switch and left it on for most of the logging road climb. I flipped it off for the last bit and it still pedalled well. I would use it on the road, but if it wasn't available I could live with it. The shock's compression was backed off completely. Once on the trail part of the climb it pedalled great, did not wander even with the high bar, the steep STA was perfect for me and, traction was good. I would be very happy with it.

3. Handling was intuitive. Maybe because I'm on similar 29ers but I found the cornering was spot on. Stable and could still be whipped through S turns.

4. The 450mm seat tube gives me plenty of room for a dropper.

5. The frame looks beefy and seemed stiff laterally.

6. Room for a good 2.5 tire.

The bad.

1. I felt some very slight brake jack. My boss said he felt it so I was looking for it. I didn't brake extremely hard, what I felt was minor and, it would not put me off.

2. $4000 Canadian dollars for the frame with no stock build kits available will put some people off.

3. Moss, WTF?

I just got my Fugitive last August so I'm not in the market at this time. If I was this would be a contender. Better than the Fugitive, I wouldn't say that. It has the rearward axle path that is an advantage in some situations. Long term durability is unknown but, the hardware and bearings look promising. The Fugitive will still be ridable when there are only cockroaches left. Lastly, perhaps unique to me, it won't accept a Mudhugger mudguard, something I consider essential here on Vancouver Island. I could probably fabricate some kind of adaptors if push came to shove.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I just got my Fugitive last August so I'm not in the market at this time. If I was this would be a contender.
    Thanks for the review LB.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Based on that video...is it an eBike?

The only time the riders legs moved was when he was PUSHING THE BIKE up hill?!?
    What?
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The bad...

3. Moss, WTF?
    Awesome review Legbacon. Thank you.

My frame arrived today at work. I opted for the matte carbon

The "tailored" Ride Wrap kit is due to arrive Tuesday. I will build it next week.

mtbr member
    I am anxiously awaiting you photos and ride impression. The Druid looks great in black.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Nice. Do tell.
    Hint: It has 180mm of travel and is a high pivot.

I did too. I hope to be posting something further later today...
    Well??
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Hint: It has 180mm of travel and is a high pivot...
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-91de9e58-c317-4f02-9d35-b035616a592c.jpg

Congrats man. HSP

I haven’t unboxed my Druid yet. Preoccupied with other stuff. It was a great day at work though...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-5c2e929d-5c76-4155-9780-448208d04332.jpg
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice bottle. Who's your boss, Don Draper?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Nice bottle. Who's your boss, Don Draper?
    ***OFF TOPIC ALERT - anyone who is going to be offended to the point of neg repping me (you know who you are - it's the only neg rep I have received on here by the way), best be turning back now***

Legbacon - I had just bought that bottle for my assistant as a little token of my appreciation, cuz she is a Superstar. She recently returned from a trip to Cabo that she has been raving about. The bottle was considerably less expensive than return tickets there :-)

I hadn't given it to her yet, when my Druid arrived. I thought it would go nicely in the pic alongside the Druid.

Perhaps her friends are now asking HER whether HER boss is Don Draper...lol.

mtbr member
    Ok, possible stupid question...Can you get by with 1 chain on the Druid? Or do you need to piece one together?

Also, Does the Druid have a non-standard seatpost clamp? It looks to be oval.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Ok, possible stupid question...Can you get by with 1 chain on the Druid? Or do you need to piece one together?

I understand that the small and medium frames get away with one chain, but the large frame requires 1+. No big deal AFAIAC, unless I am missing something.

As for the seat post clamp, here is a pic from the NSMB review:

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-fullsizeoutput_d1.jpg

So, yeah. It looks non-standard. Thankfully it's included with the frame.

Given that my significant other was instrumental in encouraging my purchase, I am going to unbox the Druid this evening with her present. I am hoping there are no bad surprises...
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

It needs some extra links so you are going to have an extra quick link in there. The seat clamp follows the seat tube shape outer but has a regular 31.6 seat post. Just to clarify, it does not come with whisky. My Fugitive came with a flask but it was empty.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    ...Just to clarify, it does not come with whisky.
    Or tequila...
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    You can buy bulk chain so it's a non issue.

Who the f@ck is don draper?
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    ...Who the f@ck is don draper?
    Donald Francis "Don" Draper is a fictional character and protagonist on the AMC television series Mad Men (2007–2015), portrayed by Jon Hamm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Draper

As for the connection with the Patron, Legbacon can wade in if he so wishes.

Damn - I'm in for another 6 hours straight of fairly heavy snowfall...looks like I will have some extra time to build the Druid.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-fullsizeoutput_d4.jpg
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:26 PM.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Donald Francis "Don" Draper is a fictional character and protagonist on the AMC television series Mad Men (2007–2015), portrayed by Jon Hamm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Draper

As for the connection with the Patron, Legbacon can wade in if he so wishes.

Damn - I'm in for another 6 hours straight of fairly heavy snowfall...looks like I will have some extra time to build the Druid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	1248902
    Mad men? I guess i need to get in more. Haven't had TV since 2012 and really only watched top gear and no reservations.

SNOW!?!?!?! Jesus man...we were kicking it in the mid 80s today but the hellish summer of austin will soon be upon us. Speaking of austin, we are pretty familiar with patron here

https://patch.com/texas/downtownaust...-patrn-spirits

NOW get to building that druid! My high pivot is stuck in customs at the moment.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    I understand that the small and medium frames get away with one chain, but the large frame requires 1+. No big deal AFAIAC, unless I am missing something.

As for the seat post clamp, here is a pic from the NSMB review:

Name:	fullsizeoutput_d1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	1248883

So, yeah. It looks non-standard. Thankfully it's included with the frame.

Given that my significant other was instrumental in encouraging my purchase, I am going to unbox the Druid this evening with her present. I am hoping there are no bad surprises...
    Thanks for the info. Post some pics of your build when you're done.

You can buy bulk chain so it's a non issue.

Who the f@ck is don draper?
    Yeah, was just wondering.

It needs some extra links so you are going to have an extra quick link in there. The seat clamp follows the seat tube shape outer but has a regular 31.6 seat post. Just to clarify, it does not come with whisky. My Fugitive came with a flask but it was empty.
    Just crossed Knolly off my list for half assing it. What good is an empty flask.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Finally got it unboxed.

It was packaged very well. There are a few cosmetic things going on with the frame but nothing significant, and probably capable of being washed off/rubbed out. Likely more fingerprints and oils than anything else.

The SWAT box-like storage behind the downtube protector is awesome. Holy shit. I haven’t checked what it will hold but I suspect quite a bit beyond a tube, especially if you want to store things further up the downtube, which is uninterrupted.

Graphics are great. Understated and definitely in sync with the bike’s namesake. Very Druid-like stuff going on.

The matte carbon finish is 100% to my liking. I could not have custom chosen a better colour/look.

My shirt and bottle were in the box, as promised.

I sit and stare, and wonder where the $4300 CDN went but that’s because that’s a lot of money, not because the frame is not incredibly impressive.

I have to decide a few build issues and I need to apply the tailored Ride Wrap kit when it arrives, but I suspect the build should be complete soon. Hopefully within a week or so.

Happy to try to answer any questions anyone has. Otherwise, on with the build.

PS - my Zee Cage with tool fits in the frame perfectly. Room to spare.

2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the updates

@Legbacon: Can you comment how the Druid behaves in techy, slow-speed situation compared to the Fugitive? Did you try to wheelie/manual/bunnyhop the Druid? One review claimed that (...because of the rearward axle) HP bikes are a bitch to get on the back wheel.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8324.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8325.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8330.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8336.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8337.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8340.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-57812702186__af0898e4-4302-4867-aee8-5c09b15ca9c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    Thanks for the updates

@Legbacon: Can you comment how the Druid behaves in techy, slow-speed situation compared to the Fugitive? Did you try to wheelie/manual/bunnyhop the Druid? One review claimed that (...because of the rearward axle) HP bikes are a bitch to get on the back wheel.
    The bar on the demo was too high so I didn't find it hard to lift the front over obstacles. I didn't try a wheelie. As for low speed tech, nothing beats Knolly's 4X4 suspension. The small bump absorption on the Druid doesn't match the Fugitive but was OK.

I road the Fugitive on some of the same trails yesterday and will stick with it for now.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Druid built up, they are gorgeous.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The bar on the demo was too high so I didn't find it hard to lift the front over obstacles. I didn't try a wheelie. As for low speed tech, nothing beats Knolly's 4X4 suspension. The small bump absorption on the Druid doesn't match the Fugitive but was OK.

I road the Fugitive on some of the same trails yesterday and will stick with it for now.

Hmmm...There still may be a little left in the budget, and room in the garage for one more loved one...

I kid. I kid. As soon as the Druid is built, I need to try to curb the bike spending a bit. It’s starting to get ridiculous.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member

The Fugitive has a pretty significant advantage as well...it's paid for.

The Druid does look nice and the price is a decent value once you factor in it's a niche brand full carbon frame sold in low volume quantities.

It'll be interesting to see the longer term reviews once the new bike Kool-Aid wears of. It's great to have a bike option with a Vancouver Island connection.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_8324.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	1248970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8325.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	1248971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8330.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	1248972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8336.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	1248973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8337.jpg 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1248974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8340.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1248975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57812702186__AF0898E4-4302-4867-AEE8-5C09B15CA9C3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	1248976

That looks really sweet Mike. Congrats!

As soon as the Druid is built, I need to try to curb the bike spending a bit. It’s starting to get ridiculous.
    you and i both know this isnt going to happen

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-1820704651_screenshot2019-04-01at3_27_24pm.thumb.png.3cb5206ebb40d997bc67eaa1870fc86e.png
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks again I consider Knolly a "niche brand" as well... maybe one with a longer track record.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    A few pics of the “reverse” SWAT box...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8349.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8351.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8354.jpg

2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    That looks really sweet Mike. Congrats!

you and i both know this isnt going to happen

Name:	1820704651_ScreenShot2019-04-01at3_27_24PM.thumb.png.3cb5206ebb40d997bc67eaa1870fc86e.png 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	1248987
    Bahahaha!

Thanks man. Much appreciated.

And yeah. Agreed. Hopeless.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    I love the storage options this frame has. These days flats are rare so having the spare tube inside the frame and undoing a couple of bolts is ok.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I love the storage options this frame has. These days flats are rare so having the spare tube inside the frame and undoing a couple of bolts is ok.
    Yes. Usually a tubeless plug will get you back to riding without messing with a tube, but it's nice to have the tube if you are a long way from home/car and a plug won't cut it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Especially if you attach a Big S Zee cage with attached EMT mini tool, so that the “reverse” SWAT box is easily accessible riding packless (plus you still have the second set of bottle bosses under the top tube to run a WolfTooth B-Rad set up). No Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag (or Awesome Strap) is required for this bike.

I am hoping that come judgment day, the big man above will forgive the relatively minor transgression to the dark side, to be able to have that EMT tool handy (not to mention a pretty decent side loading bottle cage).

Build update - application of the “tailored” Ride Wrap kit is in progress.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member

Build update - application of the “tailored” Ride Wrap kit is in progress.
    use lots of heat
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've had my Druid for a couple of weeks now. Build Specs:

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon with Ride Wrap
    Newmen Wheels
    Next R Cranks
    Sram GX Shifter/Deraileur 11sp
    1195 Casette
    SRAM XX1 Chain
    Shimano XTR 9120 Trail Pedal
    Bike Yoke Revive 185
    Schwable Nobby Nic 2.3 Addix F/R
    Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Rearward Axle Path is great fro slow techy climbing compared to the higher chain tension pedalling platforms ie DW link, VPP.... You can almost come to a stop and the rear end will still not get hung up on obstacles. The Horst link bikes in the open setting are also good in this regard. Just not as good.

Downhill stability of this axle path is much more stable than other platform I have owned. Therefore, speed on similar trails is much faster. Kasimer talked about this on Pinkbike.

I'm not a fan of platforms that require a rider to constantly fiddle with shock compression switches. Where I live on Vancouver Island it is mostly rolling steeper terrain and fiddling with a climb/trail switch is a PITA . You just leave it open on the Druid. Good thing, because you would have to perform an advanced circus stunt to change that shock on the fly.

The drivetrain is quieter than I expected given the unique drivetrain.

The height of the chainstay was a big plus for me. I have broken several typical chainstays due to impacts. This chainstay is way higher/out of harm's way

Building the bike was a pleasure. Dropper post is routed through the downtube and there is a nice port molded into the seattube for easy routing. The other cables flow through the top tube. Cable ports cinch the cables when tightened ie. no rattling.

I think my Knollys had better traction. The bike came with 6 clicks of LSC o.n the DPX2 so I could play with that. It might just be that my rear tire is on it's way out.

It climbs plenty well. Kasimer says not like a Ripmo but I don't like the high chain tension designs for my riding. Most other platforms would at least need the shock in the trail setting to be as efficient. I don't do Strava and the like.. not interested in knowing how slow I'm getting.

Running 190 PSI in the DPX 2. I'm 195 loaded.

I've got a Rockshox Pike @ 160 on the front/Push ACS3 Kit 46 offset. I might try 150. Still getting used to it.

That's all for now. Cheers. J
    Last edited by YogiKudo; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:55 AM.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon
    Newmen Wheels
    Next R Cranks
    1195 Casette
    SRAM XX1 Chain
    Bike Yoke Revive 185
    Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Rearward Axle Path is great fro slow techy climbing compared to the higher chain tension pedalling platforms ie DW link, VPP.... You can almost come to a stop and the rear end will still not get hung up on obstacles. The Horst link bikes in the open setting are also good in this regard. Just not as good.

Downhill stability of this axle path is much more stable than other platform I have owned. Therefore, speed on similar trails is much faster. Kasimer talked about this on Pinkbike.

I'm not a fan of platforms that require a rider to constantly fiddle with shock compression switches. Where I live on Vancouver Island it is mostly rolling steeper terrain and fiddling with a climb/trail switch is a PITA . You just leave it open on the Druid. Good thing, because you would have to perform an advanced circus stunt to change that shock on the fly.

The height of the chainstay was a big plus for me. I have broken several typical chainstays due to impacts. This chainstay is way higher/out of harm's way

Building the bike was a pleasure. Dropper post is routed through the downtube and there is a nice port molded into the seattube for easy routing. The other cables flow through the top tube. Cable ports cinch the cables when tightened ie. no rattling.

I think my Knollys had better traction. The bike came with 6 clicks of LSC o.n the DPX2 so I could play with that. It might just be that my rear tire is on it's way out.

It climbs plenty well. Kasimer says not like a Ripmo but I don't like the high chain tension designs for my riding. Most other platforms would at least need the shock in the trail setting to be as efficient. I don't do Strava and the like.. not interested in knowing how slow I'm getting.

I've got a Rockshox Pike @ 160 on the front/Push ACS3 Kit 46 offset. I might try 150. Still getting used to it.

Very interesting comments. Thanks. I hope to have mine built by the end of the weekend, assuming no snags. ACS3...nice. I have been toying with that idea myself. Does it play well with your air sprung DPX2?

Any chance of some pics?
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Very interesting comments. Thanks. I hope to have mine built by the end of the weekend, assuming no snags. ACS3...nice. I have been toying with that idea myself. Does it play well with your air sprung DPX2?

Any chance of some pics?
    The ACS3 is a very good product. In my case, it gave new life to older Pikes that tended to develop more or less constant air shaft issues. The coil conversion provided better performance (Traction/consistency) and reliability. It plays nice with the DPX2. Curiously, the rear end on this bike seems to outperform the front when the speed ramps up. I tried to post some pics but gave up. I might try again. J

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon with Ride Wrap
    Newmen Wheels
    Next R Cranks
    1195 Casette
    SRAM XX1 Chain
    Bike Yoke Revive 185
    Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Nice.
    How tall are you? I’m on the fence at 6-1 and change and am trying to decide between the large and hopefully soon to be released xl.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyjong View Post
    Nice.
    How tall are you? I’m on the fence at 6-1 and change and am trying to decide between the large and hopefully soon to be released xl.
    I'm 5' 11" with a 35" inseam. I'm running a 35mm stem. I like the 76..ish seat tube angle and 18-19" reach area for my riding. Your size choice might come down to your dropper length preferences due to the seat tube length on the larger size. I've got use to my 185 and now 200 mm plus is around. Something to consider. J

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A couple of things I failed to mention:

Standing climbing: If you are the type (Retired single speeder) that transitions a lot from seated to standing climbing the Druid's suspension acts like a DW link with great support without the disadvantages I mentioned earlier. This is a weakness on horst link bikes without flipping the switch.

Kudos to Forbidden: Got to give the guys credit for going the extra mile on the frame geometry. The actual seat tube angles changes with frame size as well as the chain stay length. This is a PITA for any frame designer. It is, however, necessary to give the majority of riders the same balance point on the frame. Well done!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I am an intermittent single speeder...that comment has me even more interested in this thing.

But no bikes this year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This bike has me very tempted. I'm sure the 130mm rear is great in the chunky gnar but I'm still wondering how it would cope with big drops and jumps. I'm on a very progressive 150mm rear now and I feel like the high single pivot would work better for 90% of the stuff I ride but the big bucks have me concerned. I was considering a Supreme SX or Scott Ransom but I'd be overbiked most of the time and I need a water bottle so the Supreme is out.

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat. I have a short travel trailbike that'll do 90% of the stuff I ride but want something more for the parks. Druid and commencal's success in DH convinced me to build a high pivot supreme sx. If it only came down to one bike, druid all the way.

Hoping forbidden will also produce a 150-160mm bike in the future.
    greener pastures

poser Administrator

Name:	IMG_8324.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	1248970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8325.jpg 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	1248971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8330.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	1248972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8336.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	1248973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8337.jpg 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1248974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8340.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1248975Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57812702186__AF0898E4-4302-4867-AEE8-5C09B15CA9C3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	1248976

damn, that this is teh sex
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was in the same boat. I have a short travel trailbike that'll do 90% of the stuff I ride but want something more for the parks. Druid and commencal's success in DH convinced me to build a high pivot supreme sx. If it only came down to one bike, druid all the way.

Hoping forbidden will also produce a 150-160mm bike in the future.
    Yeah that's the dream. Thing is I have an XC bike and I don't have any lift access DH where I live so a Supreme again is a bit much.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I finally installed my tailored Ride Wrap kit today. In short, it almost cost me my sanity and my relationship. Total hatchet job. I almost cried more than once, and came close to ripping it all off my frame.

And to add insult to injury, I have a second tailored kit that I ordered for my Honzo. So yeah. More good times ahead.

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with the product. I should have known not to try this on my own. It’s my fault.

Anyway, tomorrow is the start of the Druid build. Onwards and upwards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    @YogiKudo

Can you comment on the slow-tech behaviour of the Druid and compare it to the Knolly? I'm also interested how the Druid "wheelies" and "manuals" compared to the Knolly. One reviewer stated that the long(ish) chainstays combined with the HP design make the Druid difficult to get on the backwheel.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzoo View Post
    @YogiKudo

Can you comment on the slow-tech behaviour of the Druid and compare it to the Knolly? I'm also interested how the Druid "wheelies" and "manuals" compared to the Knolly. One reviewer stated that the long(ish) chainstays combined with the HP design make the Druid difficult to get on the backwheel.

Thanks
    I think the axle path may make it different to wheelie/manual. I don't do extended wheelies or manuals other than normal to me technical riding moves. Wheelie pops and manuals don't seem to be radically different to me on the obstacles I ride all the time. J

mtbr member
    I finally installed my tailored Ride Wrap kit today. In short, it almost cost me my sanity and my relationship. Total hatchet job. I almost cried more than once, and came close to ripping it all off my frame.

And to add insult to injury, I have a second tailored kit that I ordered for my Honzo. So yeah. More good times ahead.

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with the product. I should have known not to try this on my own. It’s my fault.

Anyway, tomorrow is the start of the Druid build. Onwards and upwards.
    One good turn deserves another........

Any updates
    greener pastures

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    One good turn deserves another........

Any updates
    Thanks man.

It's built. Just waiting for a spindle from RaceFace which, based on past experience, could take forever.

Apart from that though, it's done.

I have not weighed it yet but I understand from my buddies (who have weighed it) that it is 29+ lbs with pedals, a 36 fork and Minions. So a decent weight for a large frame, given that there has been no gram counting involved with the build.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Thanks man.

It's built. Just waiting for a spindle from RaceFace which, based on past experience, could take forever.

Apart from that though, it's done.

I have not weighed it yet but I understand from my buddies (who have weighed it) that it is 29+ lbs with pedals, a 36 fork and Minions. So a decent weight for a large frame, given that there has been no gram counting involved with the build.
    Nice. So looking forward to this build!
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    the classified section is down currently but if anyone is looking for a medium black frame i will shamelessly leave this here.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D2 View Post
    the classified section is down currently but if anyone is looking for a medium black frame i will shamelessly leave this here.
    Interesting. Care to expand as to the reason for the quick divorce?
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interesting. Care to expand as to the reason for the quick divorce?
    sure. it's more bike than i need right now. i didn't realize it would be such a brawler at 130mm, it's really impressive that way. i ride a lot of slow techie stuff and i should have probably just got a ripley.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    sure. it's more bike than i need right now. i didn't realize it would be such a brawler at 130mm, it's really impressive that way. i ride a lot of slow techie stuff and i should have probably just got a ripley.
    Interesting. Would you say that the Druid is not a fun bike in the slow techie stuff? If not, why not? Thanks.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Interesting. Would you say that the Druid is not a fun bike in the slow techie stuff? If not, why not? Thanks.
    I don't think it's that, I think it didn't suit my style, but it could undoubtedly suit yours. A lot of factors in play here...where you ride, how you ride etc... I wanted a playful, poppy trail bike, and that isn't what it is for me. I'm also finding that I don't love the super steep seat tube thing, I've tried a few bikes with 77 deg seat tubes, and I found that it was forcing me to ride with my weight over the front of the bike and I don't like that. The Druid is a great bike; all the reviews are solid, I'm just not finding great for me. I had an Offering and ended up selling it, and I've been an Evil guy since the beginning. It was more playful than the Druid but not as strong of a descender IMO, damn that Druid can crush square edge. If you want one bike that does it all I'd say the Druid is pretty damn close. I wouldn't think twice about bringing it to the bike park or on some steep techy terrain, that's where it thrives. If you want a snappy sub 30lbs trail bike look elsewhere IMO.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I don't think it's that, I think it didn't suit my style, but it could undoubtedly suit yours. A lot of factors in play here...where you ride, how you ride etc... I wanted a playful, poppy trail bike, and that isn't what it is for me. I'm also finding that I don't love the super steep seat tube thing, I've tried a few bikes with 77 deg seat tubes, and I found that it was forcing me to ride with my weight over the front of the bike and I don't like that. The Druid is a great bike; all the reviews are solid, I'm just not finding great for me. I had an Offering and ended up selling it, and I've been an Evil guy since the beginning. It was more playful than the Druid but not as strong of a descender IMO, damn that Druid can crush square edge. If you want one bike that does it all I'd say the Druid is pretty damn close. I wouldn't think twice about bringing it to the bike park or on some steep techy terrain, that's where it thrives. If you want a snappy sub 30lbs trail bike look elsewhere IMO.
    Thanks tons for taking the time to share that. Very much appreciated.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    My Druid is done.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-fullsizeoutput_dc.jpg

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-fullsizeoutput_dd.jpg

Wow. This is going to be fun.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 2 Days Ago at 10:31 PM.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    My Druid is done.

Wow. This is going to be fun.
    bastard
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    A whole lotta fun!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    We need more updates lol. This bike seems to be the closest thing to the quiver killer. Trail bike that is fine on tamer single track and can punch above its weight class to ride Enduro courses, albeit slower than a full out Enduro rig.

Define slow techy stuff? Like trials hops to clear large rock faces, with lots of track stands?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamkam View Post
    We need more updates lol. This bike seems to be the closest thing to the quiver killer. Trail bike that is fine on tamer single track and can punch above its weight class to ride Enduro courses, albeit slower than a full out Enduro rig.

Define slow techy stuff? Like trials hops to clear large rock faces, with lots of track stands?
    I have only had mine on pavement so far but I am happy to report that all of my concerns about low speed issues and problems pulling the front end up have been instantly erased. I have no idea what points of reference the MBR author was using but to say that this bike's front end is difficult to pull up is complete bullshit.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamkam View Post

The bike is at it's best on slow techy trails as the rear path negates the chain tension present on other designs and doesn't get hung up on rocks/roots. In reality, this difference is pretty subtle but it's there.The slower you are going the more noticeable this is as there is less speed to overcome the chain tension. J

mtbr member
    I have only had mine on pavement so far but I am happy to report that all of my concerns about low speed issues and problems pulling the front end up have been instantly erased. I have no idea what points of reference the MBR author was using but to say that this bike's front end is difficult to pull up is complete bullshit.
    Still too much snow where you’re at? Otherwise, I can’t imagine being able to resist getting it out where it belongs.
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    Still too much snow where you’re at? Otherwise, I can’t imagine being able to resist getting it out where it belongs.
    It's still very wet at altitude but mostly, I have been under siege following a recent "promotion". I will be putting it through its paces this weekend.

On pavement the bar feels a little narrow (it's uncut at 800 mm), the fork feels a little floppy (it's a 36 at the spec'ed 44 offset), the cockpit feels a little short, and the bar feels a little low. All first world problems that I will tweak if I don't get used to it all.

All that said, this is going to be the nicest bike I have ever owned. I know that already. I can very distinctly feel the benefit of the rearward axle path hitting curbs at speed.

I am a former owner of another of Owen Pemberton's creations - a 2015 Range, which also purportedly had a rearward axle path. Between the 2 bikes, there is no comparison. None. The Druid truly is going to be next level, once I get it in its element.

EDIT: I tweaked the saddle tilt and dropper height which pretty much addressed all the cockpit issues mentioned above. On to suspension fiddling now... Setting sag is not as easy as on other bikes because the shock stanchion is somewhat buried in the frame.

EDIT: There is no additional driveline drag that I detect from the idler pulley and chain guides. If there is, it is pretty much immaterial.

EDIT: Standover is awesome and for whatever reason, I can do a track stand longer on this bike than any other bike I have or have had. Track stands are effortless.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 5 Hours Ago at 08:04 PM.
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Norco Sight C1 29er