Forbidden Bike Co Druid - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,375 of 1375
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Updates: Long post

Last time I posted, Yoann was checking out my Druid and I was asking about whether anyone was experiencing any flex in the rear end.

A little background: I recently moved to a new city. I donít really have a relationship with a LBS. When I thought that there may be something going on with my Druid, I wasnít sure what to do. There are no Forbidden dealers here, and one shop I called had a 300 bike waitlist for work; one said they were not taking any bikes not purchased at the store, and one said that they have so many people waiting for service that they are just not taking any bikes until further notice.

When I was considering buying a Druid, I emailed Forbidden many times with questions. Every one of my emails was answered within hours. Louella, the customer experience coordinator, took the time to respond to each question, and she made me feel like my emails were important. So, I decided to email Louella (again!). I tried to explain what I thought I was experiencing.

She emailed back and invited me to come to Cumberland. Forbidden offered to check out my Druid. Off I went, and from the moment I arrived the Forbidden Team was welcoming, friendly and hospitable. Owen Pemberton introduced himself and I explained to him what I was experiencing and when I was experiencing it. The bike went into the stand and Owen himself went over it answering every question I had and explaining the bike he designed as he worked. At several points, Logan Johns, the COO, and Owen were working on my Druid at the same time.

Owen told me that the shock (dpx2) had an issue that may account for some of what I was feeling on technical climbs. He removed it, told me that it would need to be serviced, and then installed a loaner shock (a dpx2 from Loganís bike!). He determined that the frame, the suspension system, the pivotsÖthat all were in excellent structural order. My mind went immediately to: it must be the rear wheel I was feeling. This he and Logan checked and tested rather thoroughly. It was fine. Owen then explained how and why the wheel that I was convinced was flexing was in fact doing what it was designed to do.

Aside: I am a pretty serious cyclist, but I have spent the large majority of the last 10+ years riding road and gravel, not mountain. For some time now, all my wheelsets have been carbon. This may explain why the XT specíd alloy wheels felt different (i.e. flexy) to me.

A couple hours after I arrived, three members of the Forbidden Team took me out to ride their local trails. It was a blast.

This was for sure one of the best MTB experiences I have had. Not only has Forbidden brought an amazing bike to market, they are an amazing bunch of people. They are probably lucky I donít live there. Iíd be that guy coming by the shop all the time asking Ďhey, anyone want to ride?í

@mtnbikebike:
    I put a 35mm rise bar on my Druid. Loving it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamblichus View Post

Last time I posted, Yoann was checking out my Druid and I was asking about whether anyone was experiencing any flex in the rear end.

A little background: I recently moved to a new city. I donít really have a relationship with a LBS. When I thought that there may be something going on with my Druid, I wasnít sure what to do. There are no Forbidden dealers here, and one shop I called had a 300 bike waitlist for work; one said they were not taking any bikes not purchased at the store, and one said that they have so many people waiting for service that they are just not taking any bikes until further notice.

When I was considering buying a Druid, I emailed Forbidden many times with questions. Every one of my emails was answered within hours. Louella, the customer experience coordinator, took the time to respond to each question, and she made me feel like my emails were important. So, I decided to email Louella (again!). I tried to explain what I thought I was experiencing.

She emailed back and invited me to come to Cumberland. Forbidden offered to check out my Druid. Off I went, and from the moment I arrived the Forbidden Team was welcoming, friendly and hospitable. Owen Pemberton introduced himself and I explained to him what I was experiencing and when I was experiencing it. The bike went into the stand and Owen himself went over it answering every question I had and explaining the bike he designed as he worked. At several points, Logan Johns, the COO, and Owen were working on my Druid at the same time.

Owen told me that the shock (dpx2) had an issue that may account for some of what I was feeling on technical climbs. He removed it, told me that it would need to be serviced, and then installed a loaner shock (a dpx2 from Loganís bike!). He determined that the frame, the suspension system, the pivotsÖthat all were in excellent structural order. My mind went immediately to: it must be the rear wheel I was feeling. This he and Logan checked and tested rather thoroughly. It was fine. Owen then explained how and why the wheel that I was convinced was flexing was in fact doing what it was designed to do.

Aside: I am a pretty serious cyclist, but I have spent the large majority of the last 10+ years riding road and gravel, not mountain. For some time now, all my wheelsets have been carbon. This may explain why the XT specíd alloy wheels felt different (i.e. flexy) to me.

A couple hours after I arrived, three members of the Forbidden Team took me out to ride their local trails. It was a blast.

This was for sure one of the best MTB experiences I have had. Not only has Forbidden bought an amazing bike to market, they are an amazing bunch of people. They are probably lucky I donít live there. Iíd be that guy coming by the shop all the time asking Ďhey, anyone want to ride?í

@mtnbikebike:
    That's awesome, almost a money can't buy experiance

high pivot witchcraft

This was for sure one of the best MTB experiences I have had. Not only has Forbidden brought an amazing bike to market, they are an amazing bunch of people. They are probably lucky I donít live there. Iíd be that guy coming by the shop all the time asking Ďhey, anyone want to ride?í

@mtnbikebike:
    One of the most incredibly awesome things I have ever read at this site. Thanks for taking the time to post that.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

@mtnbikebike:
    Forgot to ask, did the new dpx2 make it feal better?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    And did you get any insider info on the long travel version coming out?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    And did you get any insider info on the long travel version coming out?

No real insider intel unfortunately. I know that they're currently working on it. I did learn that Ziggy links are due in early August. And the Cosmic Eggplant frames are in fact coming soon. I fn love the color!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I've seen the first cosmic eggplant builds popping up on instagram, got confirmation from Fanatik they'll be applying RideWrap to mine starting Monday, so will finally have a Druid in my hands soon.

e: Just saw Lewis Buchanan got a new Cosmic Eggplant frame in too

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Speaking of Cosmic Eggplant...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDB5OgxJ...d=fwkmzr4gdqz8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander512 View Post
    I've seen the first cosmic eggplant builds popping up on instagram, got confirmation from Fanatik they'll be applying RideWrap to mine starting Monday, so will finally have a Druid in my hands soon.

e: Just saw Lewis Buchanan got a new Cosmic Eggplant frame in too
    Ah, beat me to it

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi, I am getting a large Druid frame in the next couple of days hopefully and was wondering how many links people are using on the chain, will be running 30 tooth front with 46 max at the back, getting the Cosmic eggplant,

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    If you guys end up meeting up, please report back with a Druid vs. Fugitive LT head to head showdown report.

The late great Jerry M (aka TB, aka LB) who started this thread in the first place, compared the Druid vs. the Fugitive in post #38. He was a Fugitive convert through and through. I wouldn't have expected him to throw his new bike under the bus.

I'm going to take this opportunity to make a few more comments.

My experience with the Druid differs a little bit from that of some others on here. For example:

1. I still find it a little tougher to pull the front end up, compared to my other bikes.

2. I do not find it bobs when climbing. In fact, I leave my 11-6 in the "DH" position for climbing. I find it hugs the roots, rocks and other techy stuff beautifully when wide open. Zero efficiency issues for me. Then again, I steer clear of fire roads.

3. I am still unconvinced on the 11-6 vs the stock DPX2.

4. I notice no driveline drag.

5. It's the quietest bike I have owned.

6. The a$$ end of that bike is rock solid. No noticeable flex. No tire rub with a 2.4 DHR2.

7. I find the stack a tad low for my liking. I may throw a 35mm rise bar on to see what difference that makes.

I miss that DPX2. I may have to throw it back on to see what, if anything, I am missing.
    Will for sure! Though I'm coming at it from the opposite direction now. I am a total convert to this bike. The suspension is so good for going fast in the rough! Helps that the sizing just works. After going extreme for my height with 485mm reach, I've finally worked my way back down to something I'm comfortable on.

I do have a 35mm Oneup riser bar and a tall Cane Creek headset cap under it and the stack is good for me. I can unweight the front even in pretty steep stuff. And those Oneup bars are really nice.

Good to hear on the 11-6. I was planning on an EXT but decided to wait after riding the stock shock.

mtbr member
    Hi all.

Can anyone comment on how they feel the bike pedals?

im currently riding a yeti sb150 and im close to putting a deposit down on a frame for when the long travel druid comes out. my local bike shop was basically saying that they feel as though you wont beat the 150 for pedalling performance, but the long travel druid will be next level when it comes out for going down hill.

so ive got the pedalling performance in mind, plus trying to get my head around if the new druid will be too much bike. my theory is that its better to be over biked than under biked.

thanks in advance.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
    Hi, I am getting a large Druid frame in the next couple of days hopefully and was wondering how many links people are using on the chain, will be running 30 tooth front with 46 max at the back, getting the Cosmic eggplant,
    If you're running a 46T max rear cog, then you shouldn't need extra links. I have 30T front and max 51T rear and I added 2 links.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by onawave View Post
    Hi all.

im currently riding a yeti sb150 and im close to putting a deposit down on a frame for when the long travel druid comes out. my local bike shop was basically saying that they feel as though you wont beat the 150 for pedalling performance, but the long travel druid will be next level when it comes out for going down hill.

so ive got the pedalling performance in mind, plus trying to get my head around if the new druid will be too much bike. my theory is that its better to be over biked than under biked.

thanks in advance.
    As far as pedaling goes, the Druid is probably the best climber I've ever thrown a leg over - on singletrack. My climbs all have some sort of root and/or rock along their length, and the points in-between consist of loose-over-hardpack trail. The amount of climbing traction on tap with the Druid is impressive, to the point where I am rolling with a faster / less aggressive rear tire. When I'm climbing on smooth terrain [i.e. roads], the extra traction sometimes translates to a feeling of drag, but it doesn't show up in the ride times.

After watching Youtuber BCPOV ride his Druid all over the Whistler Bike Park, on the same trails that I usually use a DH bike for, I am VERY interested in the new Forbidden bike. One bike to rule them all?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    If you're running a 46T max rear cog, then you shouldn't need extra links. I have 30T front and max 51T rear and I added 2 links.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Iím 32t-10/50 size Large and my shop didnít add any links to the XX1 chain I purchased.

mtbr member
    As far as pedaling goes, the Druid is probably the best climber I've ever thrown a leg over - on singletrack. My climbs all have some sort of root and/or rock along their length, and the points in-between consist of loose-over-hardpack trail. The amount of climbing traction on tap with the Druid is impressive, to the point where I am rolling with a faster / less aggressive rear tire. When I'm climbing on smooth terrain [i.e. roads], the extra traction sometimes translates to a feeling of drag, but it doesn't show up in the ride times.

After watching Youtuber BCPOV ride his Druid all over the Whistler Bike Park, on the same trails that I usually use a DH bike for, I am VERY interested in the new Forbidden bike. One bike to rule them all?
    the reviews certainly seem that way. so when they make a burlier, slacker, more travel druid - its got me very close to pulling the trigger to reserve a frame.

my thought process is that for the majority of trails i ride the bike will be too big. however that other %15 of the time it will be perfect. ie the one bike.

high pivot witchcraft
    Hi all.

thanks in advance.
    I sense that the yet to be released longer travel Forbidden may feel kinda similar to my old 2015 Owen Pemberton designed 160/160 Norco Range (except that it will have more modern geo). His bikes have had the same kinda mojo going on.

My Range weighed 27.5 lbs with Minions and pedals. It was a solid climber and a very plush straightliner. Significant AS (to the point the shock extended under load) and a rearward travel axle path, similar to the Druid, except that the Druid does not of course have the pedal kickback that some (not me) complained about with the Range.

I expect the longer travel Forbidden will be all this, minus the pedal kickback, due of course to the high pivot/pulley.

I think the only real question will be whether you are prepared to feel a little disconnected, especially on tamer terrain. That, and the pedal kickback comment, were the primary complaints of those who were not enamoured with the Range.

I expect this new bike will be a rocket, and will climb really well in technical terrain, but may make tamer terrain feel a little too...tame.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I sense that the yet to be released longer travel Forbidden may feel kinda similar to my old 2015 Owen Pemberton designed 160/160 Norco Range (except that it will have more modern geo). His bikes have had the same kinda mojo going on.

My Range weighed 27.5 lbs with Minions and pedals. It was a solid climber and a very plush straightliner. Significant AS (to the point the shock extended under load) and a rearward travel axle path, similar to the Druid, except that the Druid does not of course have the pedal kickback that some (not me) complained about with the Range.

I expect the longer travel Forbidden will be all this, minus the pedal kickback, due of course to the high pivot/pulley.

I think the only real question will be whether you are prepared to feel a little disconnected, especially on tamer terrain. That, and the pedal kickback comment, were the primary complaints of those who were not enamoured with the Range.

I expect this new bike will be a rocket, and will climb really well in technical terrain, but may make tamer terrain feel a little too...tame.
    does anyone see any risk in getting a 1st release bike from them? the only thing im going on is the great reviews for their druid and how it would apply to a bigger bike.

high pivot witchcraft
    does anyone see any risk in getting a 1st release bike from them? the only thing im going on is the great reviews for their druid and how it would apply to a bigger bike.
    Less risk than was the case with the Druid. I think Forbidden learned quite a bit from the Druid that will carry over to the new bike.

That would not be an issue for me, although I am not the right guy to ask seeing as though I threw down on their first bike ever, on its initial release.

Again, for me, the only real issue is whether it will be a less fun bike on the tamer stuff than the Druid. I have to think the answer to this may be yes, but that is largely personal and will vary from one rider to the next. On any given ride, I am liable to see anything from rigid single speeds, to long travel enduro sleds on the same trail. Everyone is different. Do you wish for more or less travel when you are out riding on your current bike?

After giving that some good thought, the next question is, realistically, what kind of terrain are you going to be using this bike for? If youíve already concluded that the Druid would be a good (or even the better) bike for 85% of your riding, and if you are the kind of rider who feels disconnected from the trail on a longer travel bike, then maybe the longer travel Forbidden not the best choice.

It may be designed based partly on witchcraft, with a generous sprinkling of magic dust and dried unicorn poop in the top tube, but with any bike, including the new bike from Forbidden, itís still going to be a zero sum game, with give and take on everything, and decisions having to be made on what is optimal.

Itís fun to talk about stuff like this and I donít mean to discourage you from doing so, but in the end, I donít think you are going to get some definitive answer from any of us that you will be able to rely on. I have now owned 3 of Owenís creations and I am still going through the same thought process I outlined above. I am not sure what I am going to do yet myself. Until you throw a leg over both, discussions in the abstract will remain exactly that. Just be thankful there are full bike builds now. Relative to what I have sunk into my Druid, they are pretty much giving away the components strapped onto the frame.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    the reviews certainly seem that way. so when they make a burlier, slacker, more travel druid - its got me very close to pulling the trigger to reserve a frame.

my thought process is that for the majority of trails i ride the bike will be too big. however that other %15 of the time it will be perfect. ie the one bike.
    Yeah, that's the problem - how overbiked are you willing to be for the majority of your rides? I've shifted my trail selection a bit to increase the number of more difficult trails that I ride, so I'm overbiked less. When I'm on easier trails, I try to push things a bit, like turning rollers into jumps, taking the Worst Line Possible for s&g, etc. The Forbidden Pagan [that's what I'm calling the LT Druid until they figure out a name] would push me to spend even more time on more challenging trails. I'd probably be able to sell my DH bike and the Druid to get a Pagan, and maybe I'd use my hardtail more? Dunno...

high pivot witchcraft
    ...I'd probably be able to sell my DH bike and the Druid to get a Pagan, and maybe I'd use my hardtail more? Dunno...
    This is PRECISELY where I am at. Including the hardtail piece you mentioned. The only thing I am struggling with is after spending so much time and cash to build the Druid, I hate to part with it, regardless of how versatile the Pagan may be.

EDIT: Just got back from a ride. That Druid is going nowhere, regardless of whether a Pagan is in the cards.

I learned one thing today - just like guitar amplifiers, never be afraid to twist the knobs to extremes to see what lies there.

HSC on the GRIP2 wide open - holy crap. I still need about 5 clicks of LSC to avoid diving during bermed cornering, but opening up HSC (and, to a lesser degree, high and low speed rebound) really helped out in the plushness. I was so stoked that I completely forgot to take the 11-6 out of climb mode for the entire ride. I suspect Fox's recommended settings may be for Richie Rude.

Question for 11-6 owners - short of taking things apart, how do you get at the rebound dial? Are you able to with no disassembly? I'd like to try more wide open HSC and faster rebound...
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 1 Week Ago at 04:41 PM.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Less risk than was the case with the Druid. I think Forbidden learned quite a bit from the Druid that will carry over to the new bike.

That would not be an issue for me, although I am not the right guy to ask seeing as though I threw down on their first bike ever, on its initial release.

Again, for me, the only real issue is whether it will be a less fun bike on the tamer stuff than the Druid. I have to think the answer to this may be yes, but that is largely personal and will vary from one rider to the next. On any given ride, I am liable to see anything from rigid single speeds, to long travel enduro sleds on the same trail. Everyone is different. Do you wish for more or less travel when you are out riding on your current bike?

After giving that some good thought, the next question is, realistically, what kind of terrain are you going to be using this bike for? If youíve already concluded that the Druid would be a good (or even the better) bike for 85% of your riding, and if you are the kind of rider who feels disconnected from the trail on a longer travel bike, then maybe the longer travel Forbidden not the best choice.

It may be designed based partly on witchcraft, with a generous sprinkling of magic dust and dried unicorn poop in the top tube, but with any bike, including the new bike from Forbidden, itís still going to be a zero sum game, with give and take on everything, and decisions having to be made on what is optimal.

Itís fun to talk about stuff like this and I donít mean to discourage you from doing so, but in the end, I donít think you are going to get some definitive answer from any of us that you will be able to rely on. I have now owned 3 of Owenís creations and I am still going through the same thought process I outlined above. I am not sure what I am going to do yet myself. Until you throw a leg over both, discussions in the abstract will remain exactly that. Just be thankful there are full bike builds now. Relative to what I have sunk into my Druid, they are pretty much giving away the components strapped onto the frame.
    all very good points.

yeah im not looking for a definitive answer - im just making sure im covering all the angles.

im leaning towards doing the bigger druid. when i do ride rowdier stuff - it is frikken rowdy. double black tech etc and almost always shuttle.

i dont really mind how long it takes ti get up hill within reason. its all about the down for me.

Trail Ninja
    You guys really have no ideas for improvement on the Druid, like a wishlist for V2, that might be introduced on a new model?

- Some sort of larger coverage mudguard for the rear to keep debris out of the tight spots?

- Better stock rear shock tune that's so good that it might make one not see much need to upgrade?

- Maybe a better solution to the chain rub on the protector? (new swingarm design should fix it)

- Long travel dropper compatibility? (OneUp TwoTen on even a size med?)

- Storage solutions? (Is SWAT patented or something)

- More standover clearance? (I had Super V lust back in the day)

- Any fitment or modern geo wants?

I have a mid-foot pedal placement, which makes STAs feel like 5 degrees slacker, so a conservative STA is a deal-breaker to me. I also see lower BBs as being a thing, enabled by shorter cranks (150-160mm?). And I'd like to see the space between the BB and front tire utilized for anything--any extra weight there should add to the bike's stability, like storage.

I figure they'd make a bike they want to ride. What's trendy around their neck of the woods that might be inspiring? Has to be something that sells, so probably not freeride, cause I get the impression that freeriders don't buy big $$$ bikes. Enduro market kind of saturated. Not many North American brands doing enduro eMTBs with good geo, but it seems like it'd need a ton of development time.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    You guys really have no ideas for improvement on the Druid, like a wishlist for V2, that might be introduced on a new model?

- Some sort of larger coverage mudguard for the rear to keep debris out of the tight spots?

- Better stock rear shock tune that's so good that it might make one not see much need to upgrade?

- Maybe a better solution to the chain rub on the protector? (new swingarm design should fix it)

I have a mid-foot pedal placement, which makes STAs feel like 5 degrees slacker, so a conservative STA is a deal-breaker to me. I also see lower BBs as being a thing, enabled by shorter cranks (150-160mm?). And I'd like to see the space between the BB and front tire utilized for anything--any extra weight there should add to the bike's stability, like storage.

I figure they'd make a bike they want to ride. What's trendy around their neck of the woods that might be inspiring? Has to be something that sells, so probably not freeride, cause I get the impression that freeriders don't buy big $$$ bikes. Enduro market kind of saturated. Not many North American brands doing enduro eMTBs with good geo, but it seems like it'd need a ton of development time.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but,
    They just changed the tune on the dpx2 on the 2021 model, to be a lighter tune, should feel more like a coil. Not to mention the design of the dpx2 has changed as well so now it won't feal so wooden.

Also there is frame storage under the downtube cover... Or are you. Meaning somthing else.

Defs need to sort out the mudguard though

high pivot witchcraft

Stock tune on the DPX2 was spot on (as was the sock shock spec), and this coming from a guy running an 11-6 now.

There is a reverse SWAT box of sorts behind the down tube protector. Forbidden does not advertise it as such but the guys in the initial PB review were all over it. I use it for a tube, levers and a few other things but I would not want to be accessing it often for fear of stripping the delicate feeling screws holding it on. My local Forbidden dealer is not a fan of using that cavity as a SWAT box. So yeah - an easier access, purpose built SWAT box might be a nice revision.

I think they could try to do something to avoid rock damage between the seat tube and seat stays. Iím using moto foam. There were reports of some who sustained damage early on. Glad I wasnít one of them.

I wouldnít mind a slightly higher stack.

The chain rubbing on the chain stay protector in 12th gear doesnít bother me in the slightest (although I did pick up a replacement chain stay protector from Forbidden for $9.99 in case I want to replace it at some point).

The design of the shock with the stanchion buried in the frame can present certain challenges. Most recently, I canít get at the rebound dial on my 11-6 without taking the rear wheel off.

I pooched the original idler, had it rebuilt, and then got a V2 replacement idler. Same with the suspension link - replaced with a V2 version. Time will tell how these hold up, and what else may need replacement with a V2 version.

I am thinking hard of suggested revisions and am not coming up with much. I will come back and edit this post if I think of anything else. IMHO, these guys pretty much nailed it on the first attempt.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanc12 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but,
    They just changed the tune on the dpx2 on the 2021 model, to be a lighter tune, should feel more like a coil. Not to mention the design of the dpx2 has changed as well so now it won't feal so wooden.

Also there is frame storage under the downtube cover... Or are you. Meaning somthing else.

Defs need to sort out the mudguard though
    I was thinking that since no one uses a bottle under the downtube, can have the downtube occupy more of that space for even more storage, and give easier access. Like a door that allowed you to secure things to it so it didn't rattle, like a pump. Could also make room to mount the shock lower, for increased long dropper seatpost insertion clearance. All the weight in that area adds to stability, which is so easily carried that the bike betrays its weight #s.

Haven't really kept up with what people put in there. I'm imagining some integration of hydration bladder in there, with baffles to minimize sloshing, on bikes of the future. Or something like the Honda RN-01, which squeezed a big gearbox in front of its BB with a downtube that wrapped around it. Shimano has a detailed gearbox patent... I'd say something about the shock placement, but better for the heavier parts to be low and center.

My local Forbidden dealer is not a fan of using that cavity as a SWAT box. So yeah - an easier access, purpose built SWAT box might be a nice revision.

Well, I guess the storage solution could just be a sleek external add-on with a new quick release connection method. Something that could take some impacts and something you wouldn't mind being caked in muck. SWAT puts stuff all over the bike, like in the steerer tube. Just seems like that spot in front of the BB, under the downtube, has been naked, reduced to catching whatever the front tire flings at it.

Does anyone get bothered by the rear braking characteristics (with how the rear squats)? Pushing the pivot forward would bring it closer to other bikes. I figure people might actually prefer it once they get used to it, and not want it to be changed.

Off the back...

None of what you mentioned is a deal-breaker, at least for me. That said, I'm a fairly average guy in terms of height and weight, with maybe slightly longer limbs than average - I'm on a large with a 210mm dropper. It's a new bike, and a great debut at that. As you mention, they made a bike that they want to ride. It's also one that they believe will sell. The market for them is going to be BC and PNW riders [and those with similar terrain around the world]. That's a good place to be for a small company. Case in point - Banshee has been mining that seam for a long time. Regardless, FBC will hopefully apply what they learned from the Druid and apply it to the Pagan. I just hope they don't go too far down the rabbit hole and end up with a Grim Donut.

high pivot witchcraft
    ...Does anyone get bothered by the rear braking characteristics (with how the rear squats)? Pushing the pivot forward would bring it closer to other bikes. I figure people might actually prefer it once they get used to it, and not want it to be changed.
    Not me. I am used to this characteristic from prior bikes. In my view, itís optimal as is for descending super steep drops. Predictable and consistent. Low center of gravity.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    @alanc12

It feels different, surprisingly different considering that they are almost the same shock. The dpx2 Forbidden loaned me is from the previous Druid spec. If I remember rightly, it has a light tune and the dpx2 from the XT/SLX/new color frames comes with an extra light tune.

The one I was loaned does not feel quite as supple as the extra light dpx2. That may be because I am running more air pressure now. With the original shock, I was running 19mm of sag at 47psi. With the loaner, I am running almost 10psi more (56psi) to hit the 19mm sag. I seem to be using less of the travel now.

I am unsure whether I should lower the pressure and go over the 17-19mm sag recommendation. Or maybe take out the volume spacer to see what happens. I may have some time to experiment later today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    @alanc12

It feels different, surprisingly different considering that they are almost the same shock. The dpx2 Forbidden loaned me is from the previous Druid spec. If I remember rightly, it has a light tune and the dpx2 from the XT/SLX/new color frames comes with an extra light tune.

The one I was loaned does not feel quite as supple as the extra light dpx2. That may be because I am running more air pressure now. With the original shock, I was running 19mm of sag at 47psi. With the loaner, I am running almost 10psi more (56psi) to hit the 19mm sag. I seem to be using less of the travel now.

I am unsure whether I should lower the pressure and go over the 17-19mm sag recommendation. Or maybe take out the volume spacer to see what happens. I may have some time to experiment later today.
    Yea from memory they changed the design of the base valve and now have dedicated compression circuitry, where as before I'm pretty sure everything had to go back through the base valve which was a major Limiting factor. And along with the new tune it should be a much better fit.

I was all. About getting a coil from the get go but now they have done this new shock design and tune, I may just leave it for abit.
    Ild love to hear how it feals when you get it back.
    I have read some reviews where they feel better at 35% sag, but it all comes down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yea from memory they changed the design of the base valve and now have dedicated compression circuitry, where as before I'm pretty sure everything had to go back through the base valve which was a major Limiting factor. And along with the new tune it should be a much better fit.

I was all. About getting a coil from the get go but now they have done this new shock design and tune, I may just leave it for abit.
    Ild love to hear how it feals when you get it back.
    I have read some reviews where they feel better at 35% sag, but it all comes down to personal preference.
    Don't think a coil upgrade is really needed on this bike unless you got money burning a whole in your pocket. Plus you just adding weight for little performance gain imho. I got their XT build and the rear suspension feels great, I'm running 35% sag. No pedal strikes, and pedal platform is firm like dw link bike but way more plush on the down's and no pedal kick back. Plus my fork feels terrible, glad I didn't spend cash on coil for I can put the money in the fork now lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Don't think a coil upgrade is really needed on this bike unless you got money burning a whole in your pocket. Plus you just adding weight for little performance gain imho. I got their XT build and the rear suspension feels great, I'm running 35% sag. No pedal strikes, and pedal platform is firm like dw link bike but way more plush on the down's and no pedal kick back. Plus my fork feels terrible, glad I didn't spend cash on coil for I can put the money in the fork now lol.
    Funny you mention the fork, Im looking at a custom build and am now looking to get a marzocchi coil fork put on instead of the newest fox 36. I normally run my compression settings wide open so no issues having minimal dials.. Also in my eyes, theres no benefit to having the new 36 lowers if you are going to go coil fork.

Also saves some money for other parts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I don't have my druid yet but part of my desire for coil was the orange fox spring looks awesome with cosmic eggplant. But it is sounding like I'll be getting a Luftkappe for my '19 36 first instead. Any other fork upgrades worth looking at?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Funny you mention the fork, Im looking at a custom build and am now looking to get a marzocchi coil fork put on instead of the newest fox 36. I normally run my compression settings wide open so no issues having minimal dials.. Also in my eyes, theres no benefit to having the new 36 lowers if you are going to go coil fork.

Also saves some money for other parts.
    Yes I like your thinking. Thinking I might do the vorspung coil if I can get this 36 to work soon

high pivot witchcraft
    I don't have my druid yet but part of my desire for coil was the orange fox spring looks awesome with cosmic eggplant. But it is sounding like I'll be getting a Luftkappe for my '19 36 first instead. Any other fork upgrades worth looking at?
    Are you running a FIT4 or GRIP2 damper? What is the travel?

Personally I would go GRIP2 and 150mm.

I am not as enamoured with coil as others. The problem with coil is that you better nail your spring weight because there is no adjustment for that except a new coil (and the possible inability to revert to air on a coil conversion).

I just can't get over the fact that I paid a ton for a fork that will be converted to something that seems to me will be the equivalent of an ooooooooold Fox Van 36 coil fork.

All that said, I may go the Vorsprung coil conversion route next year though. LOL.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Are you running a FIT4 or GRIP2 damper? What is the travel?

Personally I would go GRIP2 and 150mm.

I am not as enamoured with coil as others. The problem with coil is that you better nail your spring weight because there is no adjustment for that except a new coil (and the possible inability to revert to air on a coil conversion). No big deal if that's not an issue. It is for me.
    I'll be bringing over a '19 GRIP2 150mm 36, (crossing my fingers I've got enough steerer considering the XL's enormous headtube, but got a low-stack stem so should be OK) I've got a ShockWiz to play with too. Did you ride your druid before installing the luftkappe?

high pivot witchcraft
    I'll be bringing over a '19 GRIP2 150mm 36, (crossing my fingers I've got enough steerer considering the XL's enormous headtube, but got a low-stack stem so should be OK) I've got a ShockWiz to play with too. Did you ride your druid before installing the luftkappe?
    Yes I did. I rode it all last season with a FIT4 and no Luftkappe. I installed the GRIP2 and Luftkappe over the winter and have been riding that configuration ever since. I also replaced the stock DPX2 with the 11-6 at the same time.

If I may add to my comments above, one thing I DO NOT like about anything air sprung is the inconsistency with it (perceived or actual). One day I rip, the next I am wondering how to tweak things so I can rip as fast as the day before. Maybe it's just how much sleep I got the night before. Who knows.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Yes I like your thinking. Thinking I might do the vorspung coil if I can get this 36 to work soon

yea i think its the way to go aye, my fox 36 factory fork with luftkappe is super plush and feals amazing until you feal a coil fork. for me the weight is not an issue (too a point)

My plan was to got red lowers with the purple frame. think it would look soo good. possibly a red coil shock in the future too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Random question. Not sure if anyone has poked at Forbidden about doing a "LR" version yet. Has anyone tried increasing the stroke to 57.5mm/60mm? 135mm/141mm of rear travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmrmusic26 View Post
    Random question. Not sure if anyone has poked at Forbidden about doing a "LR" version yet. Has anyone tried increasing the stroke to 57.5mm/60mm? 135mm/141mm of rear travel.
    I'm 100% down with that, I'm not sure how keen forbidden would be as they don't even allow a 160mn fork. Voids warrenty

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I'm 100% down with that, I'm not sure how keen forbidden would be as they don't even allow a 160mn fork. Voids warrenty
    It's known they're working on an official LT bike, but also people in this thread using longer stroke shocks paired with longer forks (against warranty)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My X2 shock that came on the frame when I bought it new is stroked to 134mm. I didnít do the work so donít have much in the way of details but Iíve put quite a few miles on it in the past month since the bike has been built up. I canít compare to stock because I have never ridden the bike in that config.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by C0Mtnbkr View Post
    My X2 shock that came on the frame when I bought it new is stroked to 134mm. I didnít do the work so donít have much in the way of details but Iíve put quite a few miles on it in the past month since the bike has been built up. I canít compare to stock because I have never ridden the bike in that config.

Interesting would love to long shock my druid. Know the specs on the shock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It's known they're working on an official LT bike, but also people in this thread using longer stroke shocks paired with longer forks (against warranty)
    Yeah, I've been on the 150/130 with no issues so far. More or less just curious how the bike would do with just a little more. I'm sure they are making a big 160/170 travel bike, but personally I'm not interested in that. I rode the new 2020 Enduro......way to much bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Interesting would love to long shock my druid. Know the specs on the shock?
    Sorry, I meant to say when I bought the frame USED. I donít know much about it, he just told me that his mechanic did it custom and that the shock is about 210/57 rather than the 210/55 that comes stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Funny this should come up today. I just received my offset bushings yesterday. I am going to experiment with a 216x63. With offset bushings it will be a 212x63. Hopefully giving me 148mm rear travel. I've checked the clearances but wont know for sure till I cycle the shock. And who knows if the kinematics will give me good travel at the end. Gonna experiment with keeping the same sag percent or the same sag height and just more travel at the end. I did find that Ohlins makes a 210x60 coil (and others can be done custom) but decided to go big! I bought the frame used, so no warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by krylon1892 View Post
    Funny this should come up today. I just received my offset bushings yesterday. I am going to experiment with a 216x63. With offset bushings it will be a 212x63. Hopefully giving me 148mm rear travel. I've checked the clearances but wont know for sure till I cycle the shock. And who knows if the kinematics will give me good travel at the end. Gonna experiment with keeping the same sag percent or the same sag height and just more travel at the end. I did find that Ohlins makes a 210x60 coil (and others can be done custom) but decided to go big! I bought the frame used, so no warranty.
    haha interesting! Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have the Forbidden Druid on my list, it's in the #2 spot. If I can make it a 130/150 and 150/160 in the same frame. It will move spots. Please let us know.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I have the Forbidden Druid on my list, it's in the #2 spot. If I can make it a 130/150 and 150/160 in the same frame. It will move spots. Please let us know.
    You have to share with us what is in the #1 position. Something from Canfield Bros?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You have to share with us what is in the #1 position. Something from Canfield Bros?
    Haha, yeah. They'll put out a 29er soon. IMHO Canfield and Forbidden have nailed an efficient yet active suspension, and geo that suits shorter people like myself.

high pivot witchcraft
    Haha, yeah. They'll put out a 29er soon. IMHO Canfield and Forbidden have nailed an efficient yet active suspension, and geo that suits shorter people like myself.
    Hahaha. Knew it!

Efficient yet active. I couldnít agree more. I have read of some in this thread who have commented that the Druid bobs when climbing. Mine doesnít. Mine is so efficient that I wasted money buying a 2 circuit 11-6. The down mode is all I basically use. For everything.

Looking forward to having you onboard some day, and hearing your thoughts on all things Druid.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hahaha. Knew it!

Efficient yet active. I couldnít agree more. I have read of some in this thread who have commented that the Druid bobs when climbing. Mine doesnít. Mine is so efficient that I wasted money buying a 2 circuit 11-6. The down mode is all I basically use. For everything.

Looking forward to having you onboard some day, and hearing your thoughts on all things Druid.
    I got the chance to throw a leg over a medium druid. Fit perfectly. And I tested a bunch of bikes and non rode like my Riot. The Druid pedals through chunk great. Most DW and VPP hand up too much for my taste. I'm definitely a CB fan boy. But if the geo doesn't work. And especially if long shocking for bike trips works. I'll join the clan.

Some shock movement doesn't mean that the suspension isn't efficient.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    You didn't say which shock you're using so remember to pull off the bottom out bumper (if using a fox coil) or compensate for the extra travel through bottom out (if using an air shock with a hidden bottom out bumper) when checking clearances at full travel. I'm definitely interested to learn what you find out.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Good job! Initial Experience on the Druid

Firstly I wanted to thank-you for the content in this thread. Iíve read through all the messages in helping me make a decision on the purchase of a Druid.

Iím 5í9Ē and was considering a medium, but they were sold out. The numbers for the large seemed close to what I was looking for but was scared to go for it considering this was going to be a lot more bike than my medium 27.5 wheeled Kona Process 153. I decided to demo a large Norco Sight and found that I was comfortable on a larger frame with similar numbers to the large Druid. The Sight was a great bike btw and it was a tough call to not to take it home from the demo day.

I few weeks back I received my large Druid XT build. I rode it with the stock 50mm stem for 6 or so rides and then decided to try a 35mm, which will be how Iíll keep it. Iíve now install a 3rd volume spacer in the Fox 36 and the 1.02 spacer in the dpx2 shock. I only have a couple rides with this setup, but Iíve found I was able to lower the pressure and reduced the number of bottom outs. I feel the fork bottoming out, but never the rear.

I ride in the Victoria area and was into trials and freeride back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I still ride a little old school and enjoy the tech trails with drops up to 6ft or so. This bike handles this type of riding well I've never felt underbiked. When things get fast you get this weightless sensation where you just pump through berms and off rocks. Iíd say it is poppy with fast rebound settings. It eats up fast rough sections of trail like a 70s Cadillac over a washboard road. Itís just easy to get along with and I havenít found the point where the bike is out of its element. Iíve come off a 2016 160/153 Kona Process (with Vorsprung's Luftkappe in a Pike and DBair IL shock) and feel more confident riding the Druid.

Climbing is really amazing on Druid. Technical climbing is often used to describe the riding here in Victoria and the Process did a great job, but this Druid is on a whole other level. Itís not the speed you can maintain because I donít think itís a rocket uphill. Itís just way more comfortable to climb and is almost a relaxing experience compared to the Process. Then there is the steep climbing ability which is ridiculous. Iím climbing walk-ups and slabs that Iíve never been able to. It must be the seat tube angle, longer stays, and suspension. Any negative that comes with a longer bike is really an easy trade off for the climbing ability and stability at high speeds.

Other commenters noted flex in the rear. The front triangle and 36 are stiff and solid feeling. The rear does have flex that I notice when Iím hard on the pedals standing and nearly at a standstill. Iíve also noticed it when going slow on angled rocks that try to push you off the trail sideways, so Iíd say itís more of a twist of the swing arm. This rare event tends to help the bike negotiate the features so I canít say itís a negative. It does feel strange and I never noticed it on my Kona. It could be the 29Ē aluminum rim, but itís more likely the single pivot combined with longer stays.

A few more notes on my experience with the build:

⁃ The DPX2 was making in sucking sounds initially but this stopped when I installed the 1.02 spacer. I lost a couple drips of oil, so Iím thinking there was too much oil in shock.

⁃ 2021 Fox 36 is a different experience than my 2016 Pike with luftkappe installed. The Pike seems more predictable through the travel, where the 36 is firmer off the top yet slamms through the travel and bottoms out hard. I was having hand pain with the 36 and tried a couple different grips, which definitely helped. New grips, lowering pressure, adding a spacer, and reducing HSC has solved the hand problem. Iím still bottoming out on the bigger drops, so I might try adding back some air and a few clicks of HSC. Iím happy with it, but Iíd say Iím still surprised itís not better. Iím sure Iíll find some setting thatíll work, but itís a work in progress and I like to tinker so this is not big issue for me.

⁃ XT drivetrain has been great. The B-screw isnít adjusted as shimano recommends because the chain was slipping on the smallest cog. However, the shifting is great and seems to improve more as everything breaks in. Wouldn't go back to GX unless I was forced.

⁃ Very happy with the XT brakes. Any worries I had with the smaller 180 rotor up front was for nothing. Great braking power!

⁃ Seat post has been perfect. It was a little damaged in shipping so I had to align the cable attachment on the bottom of the post. I find this post very smooth with easy lever action. FYI- Iím coming off a KS Lev that Iíd rebuilt a few times, but generally had trouble free operation for 4 years.

⁃ My butt doesnít get along with the SDG saddle. Any ride more than 2 hours results in a 2 day mandatory resting period. Cromag trail master is in my future.

⁃ You need to install moto foam (as suggested in this thread) between the seat tube and the rear swing arm because rocks do wreak havoc to the paint. This happened on my second ride and is upsetting to say the least.

⁃ Installed Ride Wrap and it works great. It sure makes cleaning the bike a pleasure. The 5hrs it took to get it on was a painful process though.

Additional info:
    ⁃ 5í9Ē with a riding weight is 200lbs and the bike is at 35lbs (includes pedals, water, and storage.)
    ⁃ Fox 36 - 95psi HSR+4 LSR+5 HSC+3 LSC+14 - 3 volume spacers
    ⁃ DPX2 - 180psi R+10 C-Open - 1.02 volume spacer
    ⁃ 270km so far on the Druid.

I used to cart around a 40lb + freeride bike and was all about the down, but these days I like going 100% on the ups and 90% on the downs. This philosophy keeps me rubber side down and riding more often. The Druid has been a great fit for my first foray into a ďTrailĒ segment of bikes. I just donít see the need for more bike when Iím still trying to find the limits with the Druid. I'd just get myself into more trouble with a longer travel version of this bike. For those familiar with the Mt. Work area, I ride everything there without concern for damaging the bike or getting thrown off because of limitations in travel. I donít think Iíd use it as a park bike because itís just too pretty right now, but I have no doubt itíd be up for the task.

Keep the thread going and I'll update as I get more miles on it.

Thanks again,

Mike

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img-4871.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by vanislemtbr View Post
    Firstly I wanted to thank-you for the content in this thread. Iíve read through all the messages in helping me make a decision on the purchase of a Druid.

Iím 5í9Ē and was considering a medium, but they were sold out. The numbers for the large seemed close to what I was looking for but was scared to go for it considering this was going to be a lot more bike than my medium 27.5 wheeled Kona Process 153. I decided to demo a large Norco Sight and found that I was comfortable on a larger frame with similar numbers to the large Druid. The Sight was a great bike btw and it was a tough call to not to take it home from the demo day.

I few weeks back I received my large Druid XT build. I rode it with the stock 50mm stem for 6 or so rides and then decided to try a 35mm, which will be how Iíll keep it. Iíve now install a 3rd volume spacer in the Fox 36 and the 1.02 spacer in the dpx2 shock. I only have a couple rides with this setup, but Iíve found I was able to lower the pressure and reduced the number of bottom outs. I feel the fork bottoming out, but never the rear.

I ride in the Victoria area and was into trials and freeride back in the late 90s and early 2000s. I still ride a little old school and enjoy the tech trails with drops up to 6ft or so. This bike handles this type of riding well I've never felt underbiked. When things get fast you get this weightless sensation where you just pump through berms and off rocks. Iíd say it is poppy with fast rebound settings. It eats up fast rough sections of trail like a 70s Cadillac over a washboard road. Itís just easy to get along with and I havenít found the point where the bike is out of its element. Iíve come off a 2016 160/153 Kona Process (with Vorsprung's Luftkappe in a Pike and DBair IL shock) and feel more confident riding the Druid.

Climbing is really amazing on Druid. Technical climbing is often used to describe the riding here in Victoria and the Process did a great job, but this Druid is on a whole other level. Itís not the speed you can maintain because I donít think itís a rocket uphill. Itís just way more comfortable to climb and is almost a relaxing experience compared to the Process. Then there is the steep climbing ability which is ridiculous. Iím climbing walk-ups and slabs that Iíve never been able to. It must be the seat tube angle, longer stays, and suspension. Any negative that comes with a longer bike is really an easy trade off for the climbing ability and stability at high speeds.

Other commenters noted flex in the rear. The front triangle and 36 are stiff and solid feeling. The rear does have flex that I notice when Iím hard on the pedals standing and nearly at a standstill. Iíve also noticed it when going slow on angled rocks that try to push you off the trail sideways, so Iíd say itís more of a twist of the swing arm. This rare event tends to help the bike negotiate the features so I canít say itís a negative. It does feel strange and I never noticed it on my Kona. It could be the 29Ē aluminum rim, but itís more likely the single pivot combined with longer stays.

⁃ The DPX2 was making in sucking sounds initially but this stopped when I installed the 1.02 spacer. I lost a couple drips of oil, so Iím thinking there was too much oil in shock.

⁃ 2021 Fox 36 is a different experience than my 2016 Pike with luftkappe installed. The Pike seems more predictable through the travel, where the 36 is firmer off the top yet slamms through the travel and bottoms out hard. I was having hand pain with the 36 and tried a couple different grips, which definitely helped. New grips, lowering pressure, adding a spacer, and reducing HSC has solved the hand problem. Iím still bottoming out on the bigger drops, so I might try adding back some air and a few clicks of HSC. Iím happy with it, but Iíd say Iím still surprised itís not better. Iím sure Iíll find some setting thatíll work, but itís a work in progress and I like to tinker so this is not big issue for me.

⁃ XT drivetrain has been great. The B-screw isnít adjusted as shimano recommends because the chain was slipping on the smallest cog. However, the shifting is great and seems to improve more as everything breaks in. Wouldn't go back to GX unless I was forced.

⁃ Very happy with the XT brakes. Any worries I had with the smaller 180 rotor up front was for nothing. Great braking power!

⁃ Seat post has been perfect. It was a little damaged in shipping so I had to align the cable attachment on the bottom of the post. I find this post very smooth with easy lever action. FYI- Iím coming off a KS Lev that Iíd rebuilt a few times, but generally had trouble free operation for 4 years.

⁃ My butt doesnít get along with the SDG saddle. Any ride more than 2 hours results in a 2 day mandatory resting period. Cromag trail master is in my future.

⁃ You need to install moto foam (as suggested in this thread) between the seat tube and the rear swing arm because rocks do wreak havoc to the paint. This happened on my second ride and is upsetting to say the least.

⁃ Installed Ride Wrap and it works great. It sure makes cleaning the bike a pleasure. The 5hrs it took to get it on was a painful process though.

Additional info:
    ⁃ 5í9Ē with a riding weight is 200lbs and the bike is at 35lbs (includes pedals, water, and storage.)

I used to cart around a 40lb + freeride bike and was all about the down, but these days I like going 100% on the ups and 90% on the downs. This philosophy keeps me rubber side down and riding more often. The Druid has been a great fit for my first foray into a ďTrailĒ segment of bikes. I just donít see the need for more bike when Iím still trying to find the limits with the Druid. I'd just get myself into more trouble with a longer travel version of this bike. For those familiar with the Mt. Work area, I ride everything there without concern for damaging the bike or getting thrown off because of limitations in travel. I donít think Iíd use it as a park bike because itís just too pretty right now, but I have no doubt itíd be up for the task.

Thanks again,

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-4871.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	1352029
    What you're describing with the tech climbing is what I call efficient yet active. A lot of bikes hand up when climbing tech, that do great on fire roads. You still want the suspension to work not turn into a hardtail when pedaling.

high pivot witchcraft
    What you're describing with the tech climbing is what I call efficient yet active. A lot of bikes hand up when climbing tech, that do great on fire roads. You still want the suspension to work not turn into a hardtail when pedaling.
    Exactly. I tried to explain this to Suspensionwerx more than once yet I still got a second circuit on my 11-6 tuned for fire roads. No big deal - there is enough adjustment there that I can set it up for fast, buff, bermy, flowy trails, which I have done. Still though, I almost always leave that shock in the down mode 100% of the time, including for climbing.

In Fernie last summer, that bike blew my mind - not on the downs, but the climbing. Exactly as you describe vanislemtbr. I could claw my way up stuff I had never before been able to climb. It has actually made me kinda like climbing. Not really, but at least itís less heinous than it used to be.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Exactly. I tried to explain this to Suspensionwerx more than once yet I still got a second circuit on my 11-6 tuned for fire roads. No big deal - there is enough adjustment there that I can set it up for fast, buff, bermy, flowy trails, which I have done. Still though, I almost always leave that shock in the down mode 100% of the time, including for climbing.

In Fernie last summer, that bike blew my mind - not on the downs, but the climbing. Exactly as you describe vanislemtbr. I could claw my way up stuff I had never before been able to climb. It has actually made me kinda like climbing. Not really, but at least itís less heinous than it used to be.
    I've done the nearly same with my ElevenSix. I leave it in DH mode all the time, great for climbing and doesn't feel too much or too bobby. I occasionally use the second circuit for firmer flowy riding and am still adjusting that for that purpose. I would say, I do prefer the active feel and added traction of the coil on this bike overall compared to the DPX2 and am not feeling like I wasted any money, while I do see your points. Both work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Additional info:

Thanks again,

Mike

Name:	IMG-4871.jpg 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	1352029
    Great review. I too am still fiddling with my 2021 36 to achieve ideal. I did drop pressures a few times and removed a spacer. I may add spacer again and re-Shockwiz. Also added ESI Chunky grips which helped, but certainly the lower PSI really helped, even a few psi makes a large difference. The bike finally came alive on my last ride in Oakridge, OR. Best long trail ride of my life. Going back in a few weeks.

More fiddling to ensue. I like to personally feel every setting on a fork, good, bad and mediocre to understand the effects (bracketing). That takes time on a fork with this many dials and with plenty various terrain types to test on. Overall I'm glad I didn't decide to overbike. The Druid covers so many bases.

TBH, I'll also be considering a Smashpot coil upgrade once available.

Update Notes on XT build:
    I ditched my seatpost and got a new Transfer (I know, I know, BikeYoke is better, but Transfer has been fine for me and was $75 cheaper). The stock RF post was soooooo stiff (especially at the lever) and not smooth at all. Almost died a few times when the post wouldn't activate before a jump, LOL. I need instant and light activation for my post which I now have using the same exact cable and lever.

I also recently replaced the saddle with an Ergon. Personal preference. Nothing more. Everything else is stock and perfect. Happy with this bike for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

What drive train are you on? 30t 10/50?

high pivot witchcraft
    What drive train are you on? 30t 10/50?

Yes, although I just switched from a 32 to a 30. I thought I was always on a 30. Not so. With the 30 I can avoid the granny gear which seems to be a problem with my SRAM drivetrain.

Heading out now for an evening blast. SO STOKED!
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes, although I just switched from a 32 to a 30. I thought I was always on a 30. Not so. With the 30 I can avoid the granny gear which seems to be a problem with my SRAM drivetrain.

Heading out now for an evening blast. SO STOKED!
    Thatís the exact problem I have. On my 30t 10/50 set up I hardly ever was in the Eagle gear. Now on the Druid with 32t 10/50, Iím ALWAYS in it. Definitely making the switch back to 30t now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Energ8t View Post
    Great review. I too am still fiddling with my 2021 36 to achieve ideal. I did drop pressures a few times and removed a spacer. I may add spacer again and re-Shockwiz. Also added ESI Chunky grips which helped, but certainly the lower PSI really helped, even a few psi makes a large difference. The bike finally came alive on my last ride in Oakridge, OR. Best long trail ride of my life. Going back in a few weeks.

More fiddling to ensue. I like to personally feel every setting on a fork, good, bad and mediocre to understand the effects (bracketing). That takes time on a fork with this many dials and with plenty various terrain types to test on. Overall I'm glad I didn't decide to overbike. The Druid covers so many bases.

I ditched my seatpost and got a new Transfer (I know, I know, BikeYoke is better, but Transfer has been fine for me and was $75 cheaper). The stock RF post was soooooo stiff (especially at the lever) and not smooth at all. Almost died a few times when the post wouldn't activate before a jump, LOL. I need instant and light activation for my post which I now have using the same exact cable and lever.

I also recently replaced the saddle with an Ergon. Personal preference. Nothing more. Everything else is stock and perfect. Happy with this bike for sure.

Right there with you. Same experience as me. You live in Oregon or visiting? I've mtb all over the state if u need any info

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Kinda longish intro, and first time poster... 7 month owner of a Large Druid with EX511s, DT240s, Push 11-6, Fox 36 Fit4 Factory, and Hayes Dominion A4s.

Firstly, thanks for all the previous posts and information. That is what helped me decide on my Druid after coming to terms with letting the Knolly Warden Carbon go, which was not an easy decision. I live in Marin County, and there is a lot of UP and undulating terrain. I like to ride the gnarlier trails here, which on average don't require an enduro bike, but definitely something more than a Ripley, which I also test rode prior to the Druid.

Starting with the Druid positives besides being Canadian:

1) geo - coming from a 2016 Warden carbon, the Druid reach in size L, extra length, and lower standover, were all an awesome change for my 5'11, 32 inseam body. Riding this for a while now, I could still ask for more reach, maybe 20 mm more. The Druid chainstays are longer than the playful Warden, and they also add more stability but at the lack of quick manuals, wheelies, etc.. Druid stack height feels better, but maybe this is also a 29er thing, as this is my first 29er.

2) quality - I thought Knolly made quality bikes...well, so does Forbidden. And details are very thought out. The simplicity is really inspiring. Less pivots, but the ones there do have quality bearings; the hardware and bolts handle tooling without degrading. Finish is awesome, and no odd blemishes or weaknesses to point out.

3) ride - the Warden wore me out on pumping and undulating terrain; the older gen Knolly 4-bar was not a stand-up and mash platform. The Druid surprised me when I laid into he bike and it propelled me with less resistance. Super punchy? No. Climbing, the Druid with it's steep seat angle, climbed better than my Warden. Maybe also attribute that to 29s. I also moved from an 11 speed to a Shimano 12spd XT, but I hang out in 11 a lot, so I still feel the Druid is somewhat of a better climber than the older Knolly. Descending, the Druid felt super planted, stable, and less hesitant when rolling into chunk. Marin was less of a test for this than some other local trails down South. I don't ride park, but I do get on hairy trails out here, so the Druid really seems to be the tool for as big as I want to get. The Ripley felt it was being pushed and uncomfortable where the Druid just took things at pace.

4) support - I live in California, keep touch with Forbidden via email, and never a hiccup or lack of response from the team. Super solid support.

OVERALL: great bike, super all-arounder, and so far no issues to speak of worth reporting.

The negatives, but it's even hard to call them negatives:

1) chain rub - yes, it's real. I couldn't solve it with a 32 tooth cog on my Race Face turbines. When in the 10 tooth and next cog, the chain will rub, but only to a point, and create divots in the chainstay protector. The grooves eventually stop wearing before you hit the frame, and no damage to speak of. I'm sure this is going to be taken care of next iteration.

2) shock adjustment - you will not be able to accurately gauge sag in your shock. Also, had I known how good the stock DPX2 is, I would have saved money and not bought the 11-6. Don't get me wrong, the 11-6 is nice, sweet bling, and engineering masterpiece, but has not added performance on the Druid. On my Knolly I ran a CC DB Inline coil, and that made a night and day difference for me at 205lbs. The DPX2 once dialed in on the Druid felt awesome, and also kept a nice poppy feeling when demanded.

3) the idler - I mean this is the reason the bike is what it is! I keep wondering do I prefer the idler or no idler? The maintenance is minimal, but you better make sure to lube your drivetrain religiously, and make sure to remove that gunk from behind the idler a lot. I've replaced one idler after 7 months of riding 4-5 days a week at 9 miles a ride. The idler is not noticeable when pedaling, but you will notice it with maintenance.

The only other bike I was considering was a Knolly Fugitive, and I may go that way when they release a V2. Still, I'm very stoked with the Druid.

If anyone has any experience with a Fox 36 Fit4, did you also find it harsh down the chunk and not grippy off-camber? I cannot for the life of me get this shock to work, and I rather not go the option of a third party coil kit. Has anyone had luck with the Pike Ultimate as a trail fork at 150? I ran the older RTC3 Pike at 160 on my 27.5, and I felt it covered most ground I needed.

The Druid is worth owning if you happen to be on the fence. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybarrels View Post
    Kinda longish intro, and first time poster... 7 month owner of a Large Druid with EX511s, DT240s, Push 11-6, Fox 36 Fit4 Factory, and Hayes Dominion A4s.

Firstly, thanks for all the previous posts and information. That is what helped me decide on my Druid after coming to terms with letting the Knolly Warden Carbon go, which was not an easy decision. I live in Marin County, and there is a lot of UP and undulating terrain.
    Nice write up, thanks! As another Marin resident, it's good to get a sense of how the bike handles the local trails. The Druid is on my short list but I was wondering if the majority of the trails around here, even the spicier ones, wouldn't really play to the Druid's commonly-praised strengths (chunk and square-edge hits).

Any more thoughts or examples on where the bike excels around Marin or greater Bay Area?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesDogsBrews View Post
    Nice write up, thanks! As another Marin resident, it's good to get a sense of how the bike handles the local trails. The Druid is on my short list but I was wondering if the majority of the trails around here, even the spicier ones, wouldn't really play to the Druid's commonly-praised strengths (chunk and square-edge hits).

Any more thoughts or examples on where the bike excels around Marin or greater Bay Area?
    I rode a lot of Pacifica before Marin, and parts of Monatara or Mile and Boy Scout felt better on the Druid than the Knolly. Backside China camp on the gnarlier stuff is total Druid territory. I have a new kid, so getting away for over 4 hours at a time is tough for now. Problem with Marin is nowhere to really let the Druid fly on the 29s; correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe my skill level, but Ripley was just not enough bike for me at 200+lbs when things got rough. On that note, I would even rule out most 120mm 29ers anyhow. But the Druid is still great for tighter flowy trails, and no problem in technical stuff; it's just going to be more enduro-like, because it seems that was really the intention, too. However, this is why I'm considering putting the Pike on it and just making it more trail defined. No need for full on bigger enduros in what I've experienced in Marin, at least so I feel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I rode a lot of Pacifica before Marin, and parts of Monatara or Mile and Boy Scout felt better on the Druid than the Knolly. Backside China camp on the gnarlier stuff is total Druid territory. I have a new kid, so getting away for over 4 hours at a time is tough for now. Problem with Marin is nowhere to really let the Druid fly on the 29s; correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe my skill level, but Ripley was just not enough bike for me at 200+lbs when things got rough. On that note, I would even rule out most 120mm 29ers anyhow. But the Druid is still great for tighter flowy trails, and no problem in technical stuff; it's just going to be more enduro-like, because it seems that was really the intention, too. However, this is why I'm considering putting the Pike on it and just making it more trail defined. No need for full on bigger enduros in what I've experienced in Marin, at least so I feel.
    I hear you, I've got my sights set on bikes with just a little more travel than "Downcountry" (although the Transition Spur could be a great Marin Co. bike) but not taxing on long fire road slogs. There are certainly some steep and twisty trails around here but not many with sustained chunk. Backside of China Camp is my go-to for weekday rides, glad to hear you think it handles well there.

high pivot witchcraft
    I've done the nearly same with my ElevenSix. I leave it in DH mode all the time, great for climbing and doesn't feel too much or too bobby. I occasionally use the second circuit for firmer flowy riding and am still adjusting that for that purpose. I would say, I do prefer the active feel and added traction of the coil on this bike overall compared to the DPX2 and am not feeling like I wasted any money, while I do see your points. Both work well.

I want to correct my post above where I kinda slammed Suspensionwerx. It turns out that that was very underserved.

Tonight I did a nice evening blast but before I hit the trail, I put all settings on my 11-6 back to PUSHís suggested settings. Dammit. The climb mode was CRAZEE good. It felt like I was on an e-bike. And the down mode...PERFECT! Now I will say that since I got my fork dialled, the 11-6 feels 10x better. So thereís that. And I will also say that I felt especially strong tonight.

Anyway, I think I have things dialled 100%.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I want to correct my post above where I kinda slammed Suspensionwerx. It turns out that that was very underserved.

Tonight I did a nice evening blast but before I hit the trail, I put all settings on my 11-6 back to PUSHís suggested settings. Dammit. The climb mode was CRAZEE good. It felt like I was on an e-bike. And the down mode...PERFECT! Now I will say that since I got my fork dialled, the 11-6 feels 10x better. So thereís that. And I will also say that I felt especially strong tonight.

Anyway, I think I have things dialled 100%.
    Nice! Funny how fiddling can transform a ride. I noticed that too regarding the fork. Get that dialed and the whole bike improves 10x

mtbr member
    Right there with you. Same experience as me. You live in Oregon or visiting? I've mtb all over the state if u need any info

Moved back to Oregon this year, in Bend. Shoot me some favorite rides. I'd love to check them out.

high pivot witchcraft
    Nice! Funny how fiddling can transform a ride. I noticed that too regarding the fork. Get that dialed and the whole bike improves 10x

Another thing I did was replace my once loved Chromag grips with some cheaper Kona grips. Again - 10x better. No more hand pain. The metal clamps on the outside edge of the Chromag grips was apparently causing a ton of pain in my hands. The Konas have a single clamp only on the inside edge of each grip, with soft-ish rubber on the outside. Another victory.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    Somebody made a comment about the Fox 36 GRIP2 being designed for Richie Rude, and I'd have to agree. I tried going wide open on HSC last night, and it was about as comfortable as I've ever felt going through high-speed roots. If I start doing a lot of dorp to falt, I'll add some HSC back, but for normal riding on rough trails, 0 HSC is the ticket.

Trail Ninja
    Does the LSC still do anything noticeable with HSC full out from closed on those GRIP2 dampers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Thanks, yeah I might try a Ergon saddle. Reviews are good and I haven't met anyone that doesn't like theirs. I went with the Oury grips with the inner clamp only.

Had a short one last night and didn't like the HSC on the fork. I'll be running it open for all but the nastiest drops. I even tried to add a couple clicks of compression on the DPX2 and noticed a harshness on chunky terrain at medium speeds.

I might look at some further tuning options for the 36 in a couple months when I'm feeling I need to freshen things up. I'll checkout the smashpot, but I was so happy with the luftkappe on my Pike that may be my first step. It's 90% there.

This bike makes want to ride everyday. Even when it's hot and the trails are blown out

high pivot witchcraft
    Somebody made a comment about the Fox 36 GRIP2 being designed for Richie Rude, and I'd have to agree. I tried going wide open on HSC last night, and it was about as comfortable as I've ever felt going through high-speed roots. If I start doing a lot of dorp to falt, I'll add some HSC back, but for normal riding on rough trails, 0 HSC is the ticket.
    I made that comment and yes - agreed on everything you said. In addition to HSC wide open, I would add that 1 token for 150mm is adequate. Again, subject to sending it massively.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    Does the LSC still do anything noticeable with HSC full out from closed on those GRIP2 dampers?
    Yes. On mine there is a very noticeable difference.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Thanks, yeah I might try a Ergon saddle. Reviews are good and I haven't met anyone that doesn't like theirs. I went with the Oury grips with the inner clamp only.

Had a short one last night and didn't like the HSC on the fork. I'll be running it open for all but the nastiest drops. I even tried to add a couple clicks of compression on the DPX2 and noticed a harshness on chunky terrain at medium speeds.

I might look at some further tuning options for the 36 in a couple months when I'm feeling I need to freshen things up. I'll checkout the smashpot, but I was so happy with the luftkappe on my Pike that may be my first step. It's 90% there.

This bike makes want to ride everyday. Even when it's hot and the trails are blown out
    Yeah, an FYI: Vorsprung products for the 2021 36 are still in development. Same goes for the PUSH ACS3 coil kit.

mtbr member
    I made that comment and yes - agreed on everything you said. In addition to HSC wide open, I would add that 1 token for 150mm is adequate. Again, subject to sending it massively.
    I've found going wide open on HSC, one token and a bit less PSI made a huge difference blasting through the gnar. I was struggling to plow through rough sections until I did that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Pulled my 36 apart. Here is the air shaft. Excessive grease? Oil wipers were bone dry too.

mtbr member
    Pulled my 36 apart. Here is the air shaft. Excessive grease? Oil wipers were bone dry too.

Exactly what mine looked like. Notice any difference riding after regressing lighter? Not sure I have yet. Only did one ride though

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    With in the last 24 hours I pretty much snapped, came up with a build plan, drove 600km to get parts and a frame. And here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200729_191133.jpg  

mtbr member
    With in the last 24 hours I pretty much snapped, came up with a build plan, drove 600km to get parts and a frame. And here it is.
    **** yeah

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hot! I haven't see that color outside of promo builds yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hot! I haven't see that color outside of promo builds yet.
    Yea you have to forgive the saddle. Couldn't get what I wanted so had to use an old saddle for now.
    The purple is super deep. Almost looks like a black when in the shadow, then in the sun it blings.

high pivot witchcraft
    Epic. Congrats!!! That cosmic eggplant is a home run.

That is some wicked history that will always be attached to that bike. Very very cool.

Just got back from another evening blast. I hope you love your new bike as much as I love mine.

As an aside, I had my suspension fully dialled last year and then over the winter I decided to gut the fork and swap out the DPX2 for an 11-6. I was starting to think that was a mistake. Until now...

Once again I have both ends dialled. It's back to where I had it last year, feeling like it has much more travel than 130/150, except it's basically amped up a few notches in every respect.

I take back what I said about missing the DPX2. It's a fine shock, especially as an OEM spec'ed shock, but the 11-6 is really shining now that I was able to get the fork dialled. Fox's recommended settings for the 36 are whack AF. Ridiculous. Complete gopher hole. What is even more bizarre is that I have a 34 on my Honzo that is set EXACTLY in accordance with Fox's recommended settings and it is frikkin incredible. I don't get it. Whatever. At least I am finally there now.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Straight best color option available. Had a Kona Expolsif same color theme. Grew on me to where I thought that was ultimate color combo. Lol. How's the fork working out? (when you have a chance to test)

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Straight best color option available. Had a Kona Expolsif same color theme. Grew on me to where I thought that was ultimate color combo. Lol. How's the fork working out? (when you have a chance to test)
    Going to head to golden bc, this weekend for some testing. First impressions. Very very supple off the top. I had a fox factory rc2 damper with luftkappe and that was amazing to me untill now. As long as this fork can hold up in the travel, I think I'll be happy

high pivot witchcraft
    Going to head to golden bc, this weekend for some testing. First impressions. Very very supple off the top. I had a fox factory rc2 damper with luftkappe and that was amazing to me untill now. As long as this fork can hold up in the travel, I think I'll be happy
    Holy crap. I may be in Golden as well this weekend!!! I am really looking forward to hitting Seven again.

2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Honestly would be very interested to know how the Bomber works out. Looking for anything that works off camber and plush enough to ditch my Fox 36 Fit4 Factory. Lockout was assumed a must for spirited pedaling on the paved roads to my local trails, but the danger of a poor performing fork on the actual trail is underrated!!

high pivot witchcraft
    Honestly would be very interested to know how the Bomber works out. Looking for anything that works off camber and plush enough to ditch my Fox 36 Fit4 Factory. Lockout was assumed a must for spirited pedaling on the paved roads to my local trails, but the danger of a poor performing fork on the actual trail is underrated!!
    May I suggest considering the purchase of a Luftkappe? $100ish. You may love it. If so, it would be a cheap fix.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/vo...-forks-review/
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    As well as the Luftkappe recommended above, give the Fractive tune by Vorsprung a try. I've been running a 36 Fit4 with that damper upgrade for over two years now and it has been incredible! I don't even think about forks anymore, this one just does everything I want a fork to do. I've had it on four bikes with varying wheel sizes and travel lengths. My opinion is that a custom tuned damper beats a stock damper most of the time. And I have spent time on the Grip2. Its currently installed on a DJ fork with all the knobs turned to hard, I like the tuned Fit4 more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    As well as the Luftkappe recommended above, give the Fractive tune by Vorsprung a try. I've been running a 36 Fit4 with that damper upgrade for over two years now and it has been incredible! I don't even think about forks anymore, this one just does everything I want a fork to do. I've had it on four bikes with varying wheel sizes and travel lengths. My opinion is that a custom tuned damper beats a stock damper most of the time. And I have spent time on the Grip2. Its currently installed on a DJ fork with all the knobs turned to hard, I like the tuned Fit4 more.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have to look into that again as last I did I wrote it off since my Fit4 is a 2020, and apparently the damper has some updates to it. I hope their Fractive is compatible on the newer models; have heard a lot of praise for Vorsprung.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Man. And here I am still waiting for my cosmic eggplant frame I basically impulse bought 6 weeks ago when the color pushed me over the edge. Frame will be here Monday though, so stoked!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Man. And here I am still waiting for my cosmic eggplant frame I basically impulse bought 6 weeks ago when the color pushed me over the edge. Frame will be here Monday though, so stoked!
    Haha yea its wasn't as "off the cuff" as it sounded. I tried to buy the xt build when they first came out but missed out so I have been keeping an eye out. Then seen on pink bike that the store I was dealing with ahd a purple frame coming in so I called him and it arrived while I was on the phone. I took that as a sign.
    Then it seemed like it didn't matter what parts I asked for, he had it.

The inside line in calgary, possibly the best bike shop I've ever dealt with. Even gave good discountS on everything apart from frame. They also had a large brown frame in and an xl purple.

high pivot witchcraft
    Haha yea its wasn't as "off the cuff" as it sounded. I tried to buy the xt build when they first came out but missed out so I have been keeping an eye out. Then seen on pink bike that the store I was dealing with ahd a purple frame coming in so I called him and it arrived while I was on the phone. I took that as a sign.
    Then it seemed like it didn't matter what parts I asked for, he had it.

The inside line in calgary, possibly the best bike shop I've ever dealt with. Even gave good discountS on everything apart from frame. They also had a large brown frame in and an xl purple.
    Cam is the man! And so is Zack. Both are awesome, passionate riders, and meticulous skilled bike surgeons. That is so nice to hear that they helped you out.

They have been taking care of me and my Druid since shortly after buying the frame. I am surprised they had everything you needed given that they are a small, niche shop - all the more reason to have taken all that as a sign. Destiny indeed.

Had I known you were coming I would have met you there with cold beers in hand (or beverages of your choice) to celebrate.

Congrats again!!!
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yep. Looks about right. Here is mine:

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_2045.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Yep. Looks about right. Here is mine:

Name:	IMG_2045.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	1352537
    Check the wiper seals too. Standard fox to leave them dry and load up the piston

mtbr member
    May 2007
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hg7vCp79HU

Lewis Buchanan's new build.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    just to add what I hope might be helpful information about the 36...

I pulled mine apart last night and found that the bushing on the negative plate is incredibly tight. When sliding it by hand, it sticks and chatters and if the neg plate is even a little out of alignment, it binds. I had to turn a bullet tool on my lathe since the older ones don't fit in the shaft but I lubed up the U-Cup and Q-ring as well as the bushing and slid it back on...it's marginally better now. I'm going to put a little oil above the plate when I reinstall to keep it bathed in oil. If that doesn't improve it, my plan is the machine a bushing sizer from some stainless rod I have lying around that's stepped in 0.001" increments. Opening it up by a couple thou ought to loosen the bushing without affecting the seals and it'll hopefully run a lot smoother. I have a new CSU coming next week to experiment with offsets so it'll get opened up again by wednesday anyhow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Sooo, yesturday was my first ride on the druid and I took it up the lifts in golden bc. Five minutes into the first trail, I put a hole in my rear tire. Managed to plg it and add some air. This is the only complaint I have.
    The bike.. Well the bike is an absolute beast. Considering I was riding a 175mm rear travel freeride bike, this thing can handle some gnarly stuff and at speed too. Don't get me wrong you feal some impacts a little more than a big travel bike but the druid handles it in its stride.
    I think I pretty much nailed my set up right off the bat (I'll have to get numbers later)
    Tried a little climbing on it to see what I was in for and was pleasantly surprised. Shock in full open and no Bob at all.
    My only issue now it to let the druid run, the way in which it picks up speed is absolutly awesome yet terrifying

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Long shocking this bike is a thing! Had my first real ride on my~148mm Druid last night. I installed a pair of 2mm offset bushings in an old Fox DHX2 I got off Pinkbike. Did a lot of cautious checking but things aren't even close to bottoming weirdly or touching. I was a little worried about changing two things at once, i.e. going from air to coil and changing travel, but I figured a different air shock wouldn't have the very specific tune and a coil was safer than a bad air shock. Also I was guessing the the extra travel was going to continue on that steep progressive curve that you can see at the end of the travel in 130mm mode and to get the best use of it a coil would be the way to go. My first attempt was with a way too light 325# spring that felt awesome on the flats and on small jumps but that I bottomed on my first bigger hit. Did some recalculating and came up with 375# as a better number. Ended up going with 400# for now because it was cheap and I could get it in a day. I was really impressed with the bike with the stock DPX2 and am only going to stick with this if I can get the same quality of suspension with the current setup. 130mm of incredible travel beats more of so-so travel. Right now with the 400# spring I feel like on small chatter its a little stiffer but oh so good on harder hits. It's still really poppy and I don't feel that I've turned it into a monster at all. I am thinking that actually hunting down a 375# spring might be perfect. I am still playing with the knobbies, too. The general idea I have going right now is compression open and rebound fast. The tails around my house are really flat and I am not tuning the bike for them. I'm going tomorrow to the same DH trails I rode when I first got the bike and I was blown away by its performance. There I can see how it does in super fast and chunky stuff, which is what I really care about. Also try shorting some big trail gaps which is where I felt like I was really feeling the 130mm before, on my mistakes. Anyway, its a fun experiment and I'll report back on how it continues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I rode a Canfield Balance for a while. Single best climbing bike I've ever been on. And thats saying something for a 170/165 bike! I'd probably be on a Riot now if there had been a new one in the last five years. This "little" bike is more balanced and fun than my Balance though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I rode a Canfield Balance for a while. Single best climbing bike I've ever been on. And thats saying something for a 170/165 bike! I'd probably be on a Riot now if there had been a new one in the last five years. This "little" bike is more balanced and fun than my Balance though.
    Yeah the Riot boost off small stuff so other than its weight. Its still fun on tamer trails. Being able to change rear travel for big day is what I'm looking for. Definitely going to be a hard choice. This fall winter. Between the Druid and the new bike CB will put out. it'll come down to fit and geometry. I have a springdex coil spring and love it. Fine tuning the rear is coil rate is nice. I run 425lbs for drops and jumps. But can go to 380lbs for chunky stuff. Its also great for riding in hot weather with a long climb and heavy pack. That you've dropped 3L water from the bag and probably another from yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Long shocking this bike is a thing! Had my first real ride on my~148mm Druid last night. I installed a pair of 2mm offset bushings in an old Fox DHX2 I got off Pinkbike. Did a lot of cautious checking but things aren't even close to bottoming weirdly or touching. I was a little worried about changing two things at once, i.e. going from air to coil and changing travel, but I figured a different air shock wouldn't have the very specific tune and a coil was safer than a bad air shock. Also I was guessing the the extra travel was going to continue on that steep progressive curve that you can see at the end of the travel in 130mm mode and to get the best use of it a coil would be the way to go. My first attempt was with a way too light 325# spring that felt awesome on the flats and on small jumps but that I bottomed on my first bigger hit. Did some recalculating and came up with 375# as a better number. Ended up going with 400# for now because it was cheap and I could get it in a day. I was really impressed with the bike with the stock DPX2 and am only going to stick with this if I can get the same quality of suspension with the current setup. 130mm of incredible travel beats more of so-so travel. Right now with the 400# spring I feel like on small chatter its a little stiffer but oh so good on harder hits. It's still really poppy and I don't feel that I've turned it into a monster at all. I am thinking that actually hunting down a 375# spring might be perfect. I am still playing with the knobbies, too. The general idea I have going right now is compression open and rebound fast. The tails around my house are really flat and I am not tuning the bike for them. I'm going tomorrow to the same DH trails I rode when I first got the bike and I was blown away by its performance. There I can see how it does in super fast and chunky stuff, which is what I really care about. Also try shorting some big trail gaps which is where I felt like I was really feeling the 130mm before, on my mistakes. Anyway, its a fun experiment and I'll report back on how it continues.
    What shock eye2eye and stroke did you use?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Sooo, yesturday was my first ride on the druid and I took it up the lifts in golden bc. Five minutes into the first trail, I put a hole in my rear tire. Managed to plg it and add some air. This is the only complaint I have.
    The bike.. Well the bike is an absolute beast. Considering I was riding a 175mm rear travel freeride bike, this thing can handle some gnarly stuff and at speed too. Don't get me wrong you feal some impacts a little more than a big travel bike but the druid handles it in its stride.
    I think I pretty much nailed my set up right off the bat (I'll have to get numbers later)
    Tried a little climbing on it to see what I was in for and was pleasantly surprised. Shock in full open and no Bob at all.
    My only issue now it to let the druid run, the way in which it picks up speed is absolutly awesome yet terrifying
    Destroyed the DHR2+ first week on mine. Punctured top and pinch bead on front now. Tires didn't survive first 200mi

high pivot witchcraft
    Awesome. Keep us posted, and enjoy the long weekend. Golden looks hot AF temp-wise. I am heading to Canmore for a blast very shortly.

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone, and I appreciate I am coming across as being a little over the top and probably highly irritating to some, but I can't help it. I feel so fortunate to be experiencing the magic of this bike. Skip to post #11:

https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/q...l#post14905759

My comments are 100% sincere. I have no reason to be anything but. If the Druid was not "it", I would dump it and continue my search for "the one". As I have said, after 25 years, that search has finally ended. For now at least...

PS - Kicking Horse can dish out a ton of punishment, even for a full on DH sled. Itís good to hear the Druid survived. I will be interested to hear more comments from you.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    So I'm using a drivetrain from my previous bike, it worked fine on that bike but for what ever reason it seems to jump when I put the power down on this bike. I did get a new chain which I've been told could be causing it? Anyone experience this?

As for the temperature in golden. 38 degrees yesturday. Feels hotter today, was going to get out for a ride this arvo but I'm struggling just hanging out at the accommodation lol

high pivot witchcraft
    Interestingly, on my way to Canmore for a ride this aft, I caught up to a pewter Silverado with a Gloss Moss Druid in the back. First time I have come across another Druid in the wild. I was so excited, honking my horn and waving, that I almost went off the road.

@pinkrobe - if that was you, sorry for the overly exuberant greeting. Whoever it was, I assume they turned off where they did to hit Prospector.

In not so great news, I think I pooched my idler again. I'm bringing it in first thing tomorrow.

I seem to keep breaking things on this bike. I don't know why. I ride very light and really, I am not putting that much mileage on it compared to other bikes that have gone for a full season with WAY more mileage and zero issues. I can't seem to keep my Druid going for more than 10 or so rides before I have to deal with something else. Most of it is component-related, so not blaming Forbidden in the slightest, although I am starting to get concerned about the idler. I was concerned about it from the outset, and things have not gone my way on that front. I even stopped washing my bike with a hose, and in fact, pretty much stopped washing it for fear that it was my fault I seem to be having these troubles.

I will report back further tomorrow once I find out what it is. It may not be the idler. But there is definitely something pooched in the driveline.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    So I'm using a drivetrain from my previous bike, it worked fine on that bike but for what ever reason it seems to jump when I put the power down on this bike. I did get a new chain which I've been told could be causing it? Anyone experience this?
    It's pretty common that if you put a new chain on a worn drivetrain, it'll suffer. How many miles are on that cassette?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    It's pretty common that if you put a new chain on a worn drivetrain, it'll suffer. How many miles are on that cassette?
    Ild say its got a couple hundred miles on it. I'm not a big pedaller so wouldn't be excessive amount. Rode it again yesturday after trying to fine tune it and ran the b screw abit tighter. Didn't fault once, but I'll keep testing and let ya know the outcome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Interestingly, on my way to Canmore for a ride this aft, I caught up to a pewter Silverado with a Gloss Moss Druid in the back. First time I have come across another Druid in the wild. I was so excited, honking my horn and waving, that I almost went off the road.

@pinkrobe - if that was you, sorry for the overly exuberant greeting. Whoever it was, I assume they turned off where they did to hit Prospector.

In not so great news, I think I pooched my idler again. I'm bringing it in first thing tomorrow.

I seem to keep breaking things on this bike. I don't know why. I ride very light and really, I am not putting that much mileage on it compared to other bikes that have gone for a full season with WAY more mileage and zero issues. I can't seem to keep my Druid going for more than 10 or so rides before I have to deal with something else. Most of it is component-related, so not blaming Forbidden in the slightest, although I am starting to get concerned about the idler. I was concerned about it from the outset, and things have not gone my way on that front. I even stopped washing my bike with a hose, and in fact, pretty much stopped washing it for fear that it was my fault I seem to be having these troubles.

I will report back further tomorrow once I find out what it is. It may not be the idler. But there is definitely something pooched in the driveline.
    i put about 700 miles on the v2 idler before it started to look real bad and I changed it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What shock eye2eye and stroke did you use?
    216 x 63 The offset bushings bring it to 212 x 63. I figure the extra eye to eye make up for the added amount of travel lost to sag.

high pivot witchcraft
    i put about 700 miles on the v2 idler before it started to look real bad and I changed it.
    I seem to be chewing through these like butter.

I'm off to the LBS now. Stay tuned.

Thankfully I still have my original idler which was repacked with fresh bearings, before the replacement idler arrived. Taking that with me, along with a fresh set of bearings for the replacement idler. I have a big ride planned for later today. And tomorrow too. I am not overly enthused about doing either on my hardtail, but I will if I have to.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    216 x 63 The offset bushings bring it to 212 x 63. I figure the extra eye to eye make up for the added amount of travel lost to sag.
    Cheers, no sign of any rubbing with the rear tyre or swinging arm hitting the seat tube? Just had the first ride on my Druid really stoked.

high pivot witchcraft
    Just by way of update, the idler was a little chunky so we replaced the bearings.

That was not the issue though. My lower chain guide completely shit the bed on me. Shredded. The rubber was destroyed. They did not have one in stock so we took it off. I am going to see how things go today without it. If nothing else, maybe I will notice less driveline drag, although that has never been an issue with me (even with the lower chain guide completely mangled inside).

If I end up going guide-less, I will need to shorten my chain.

Inside Line in Calgary has two XL frames in stock - one Cosmic Eggplant and the other Mr. Brownstone - in case anyone is interested.

Off to ride, sans lower chain guide...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    richie basically destroy's everything he tests, and once it survives - they basically know they have a pretty rock solid product.

high pivot witchcraft
    By way of follow up to my last post above, I rode today with no lower chain guide. I previously didnít think there was any or much driveline drag with this bike. I was wrong. I am hesitant to say how much difference there was without the chain guide but for me, it was 100% immediately noticeable and it translated directly to decreased peddling effort on the trail. Plus...silence!

I did not drop a chain or come even close to doing so for the entire ride.

Apart from preventing dropped chains (which was not a problem today), I donít know what the purpose of the lower guide is other than, perhaps, to increase the number of chainring teeth that come into contact with the chain.

I am going to contact Forbidden. If there is no legit reason to be running it, I think I will leave it off unless and until I encounter any issues.

For me, blowing up the lower chain guide was a blessing in disguise. I never would have run the bike without one. Now that I have, I donít think I am going back.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    By way of follow up to my last post above, I rode today with no lower chain guide. I previously didnít think there was any or much driveline drag with this bike. I was wrong. I am hesitant to say how much difference there was without the chain guide but for me, it was 100% immediately noticeable and it translated directly to decreased peddling effort on the trail. Plus...silence!

Apart from preventing dropped chains (which was not a problem today), I donít know what the purpose of the lower guide is other than, perhaps, to increase the number of chainring teeth that come into contact with the chain.

I am going to contact Forbidden. If there is no legit reason to be running it, I think I will leave it off unless and until I encounter any issues.

For me, blowing up the lower chain guide was a blessing in disguise. I never would have run the bike without one. Now that I have, I donít think I am going back.
    How Many links did you remove to get it to work. My whole bash gaurd came loose today and I dropped a chain, fortunitly I noticed before anything could be damaged. Re-tentioned it and was away laughing.

On a side note I added some PSI's to my shock. Sitting around 180psi now with 3clicks lsc from full open and rebound 5clicks from wide open(I think) man a few more psi brought the bike to life. I thought it was fast before but now it just wants to get up and go. Even threw it down the gnarliest trail in the park and warp speed. Yes warp speed, not even an over exaggeration.

I honestly don't think my 175mm travel canyon torque could have kept up, it was just on the gas.

high pivot witchcraft
    How Many links did you remove to get it to work. My whole bash gaurd came loose today and I dropped a chain, fortunitly I noticed before anything could be damaged. Re-tentioned it and was away laughing.

On a side note I added some PSI's to my shock. Sitting around 180psi now with 3clicks lsc from full open and rebound 5clicks from wide open(I think) man a few more psi brought the bike to life. I thought it was fast before but now it just wants to get up and go. Even threw it down the gnarliest trail in the park and warp speed. Yes warp speed, not even an over exaggeration.

I honestly don't think my 175mm travel canyon torque could have kept up, it was just on the gas.
    Awesome!!! I am so glad you are experiencing the same excitement as me.

No links removed, just in case I want to put the chain guide back on when it arrives at the shop. Ideally, it probably should be shortened a bit.

When I was at Inside Line we were talking about you and your bike. Those guys are just as stoked as you with your purchase.

Really really happy things worked out for you!
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Cheers, no sign of any rubbing with the rear tyre or swinging arm hitting the seat tube? Just had the first ride on my Druid really stoked.

Nope, if you cycle the suspension with the shock removed you'll see that its impossible for that to happen. I wasn't sure that the shock wouldn't hit the downtube till I tried it and its miles from that, too.

Stoked for your first ride! Its an awesome feeling. I just hit some gnarly trails again today. So fast through the chunk! And the extra travel really helps on the bigger hits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

It's funny, didn't remember till just now that my first experimenting with 1x drivetrains back in 2009-10 I was running a Gamut lower guide to make it work because it was the dark ages before clutch derailleurs. I was really grumpy about the drag when I made the switch. Haven't run one since because of clutches....and haven't really dropped chains in forever either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

You have to pull the crank to remove the lower chain guid, correct?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You have to pull the crank to remove the lower chain guid, correct?
    Depends on the chainring but you are usually able to get them unbolted through the gaps in the ring. Harder to reinstall with the proper spacers that way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nope, if you cycle the suspension with the shock removed you'll see that its impossible for that to happen. I wasn't sure that the shock wouldn't hit the downtube till I tried it and its miles from that, too.

Stoked for your first ride! Its an awesome feeling. I just hit some gnarly trails again today. So fast through the chunk! And the extra travel really helps on the bigger hits.
    Cheers for the info, mega happy with the bike the way it is but good to know I can get a wee bit more travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

I am really looking forward to hearing about what you discover on the DH trails. Please keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What kind of travel increase would you get with 216x57.5 with offset bushing's you think? Would love to long shock this bike

Off the back...
    Just got back from Revelstoke. We didn't ride as much as planned due to the heat, but I got in a solid climb in the alpine and a few lift-assisted laps. I completely forgot how to jump and corner on bikepark terrain over the winter. I think I was on the last lap of the day before I got my shizzle sorted and started to look like I had actually used a bicycle before. The Druid saved my ass many times. That said, I need to dial in a little more pop out back...

high pivot witchcraft
    Just got back from Revelstoke. We didn't ride as much as planned due to the heat, but I got in a solid climb in the alpine and a few lift-assisted laps. I completely forgot how to jump and corner on bikepark terrain over the winter. I think I was on the last lap of the day before I got my shizzle sorted and started to look like I had actually used a bicycle before. The Druid saved my ass many times. That said, I need to dial in a little more pop out back...
    Keystone? Fifty Six Twenty? Was that you in the pewter Silverado with the Gloss Moss Druid?

I just got back from a super casual ride. While a little on the mellow side, after two days of riding guide-less (lower), I am going to keep it guide-less for now. The noticeable reduction in driveline drag combined with no apparent need (for me) for the lower guide kinda makes it a no-brainer.

I am planning to hit something solo tomorrow that will definitely be not so casual. I will know for sure once I get that ride in. For now though, guide-less it will remain.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    Keystone? Fifty Six Twenty? Was that you in the pewter Silverado with the Gloss Moss Druid?

I just got back from a super casual ride. While a little on the mellow side, after two days of riding guide-less (lower), I am going to keep it guide-less for now. The noticeable reduction in driveline drag combined with no apparent need (for me) for the lower guide kinda makes it a no-brainer.

I am planning to hit something solo tomorrow that will definitely be not so casual. I will know for sure once I get that ride in. For now though, guide-less it will remain.
    Just the resort for us [5620, Bagful of Boogie], with a ride down Crowbar after. It was hot and humid enough to cause us to wimp out 2 out of 3 days. The Silverado is not mine, so there's more of us in the Calgary area...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Had my first outing on the druid this weekend, I developed some noises in the linkage. Most likely stuff just coming loose so I thought ild pull it all apart and re-torque everything to spec. I noticed the bearings on my linkage wear actually pressed through slightly to one side which caused some rubbing of linkage parts. See photos.
    I have contacted forbidden to see what they recommend, I'm pretty sure it will just be to even the bearings out with a bearing press.
    But could be worth checking if you have nothing better to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200803_195828.jpg  

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200803_200313.jpg  

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200803_200315.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Update on Fork and Dropper

After removing grease from air shaft on Fox 36 Grip 2 and new seal's and wipers my fork feel great, very plush like you would expect. I have feeling the bushings were tight/dry with no oil getting past them. The oil wipers were bone dry like oil was never getting up there.

Now funny thing is my Raceface Affect R dropper feels the same like tight/dry bushings when trying to lower dropper from full extension? Any way to service this? There is zero info on this dropper not even instruction manual. Other issue it takes significant force to actuate the dropper at the level, my thumb is taking major abuse and hurts after long rides.

For the rest of the bike the XT drivetrain/wheelset has been awesome, rear end feels great and manage to quite down the dropper cable from rattling. Now if I can just get this post to work it will be bliss, than long shock and fork this baby.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    After removing grease from air shaft on Fox 36 Grip 2 and new seal's and wipers my fork feel great, very plush like you would expect. I have feeling the bushings were tight/dry with no oil getting past them. The oil wipers were bone dry like oil was never getting up there.

Now funny thing is my Raceface Affect R dropper feels the same like tight/dry bushings when trying to lower dropper from full extension? Any way to service this? There is zero info on this dropper not even instruction manual. Other issue it takes significant force to actuate the dropper at the level, my thumb is taking major abuse and hurts after long rides.

For the rest of the bike the XT drivetrain/wheelset has been awesome, rear end feels great and manage to quite down the dropper cable from rattling. Now if I can just get this post to work it will be bliss, than long shock and fork this baby.

My Affect R dropper has similar issues. I don't mind so much that it takes a good amount of effort to actuate the dropper, but mine has a fair amount of right-left play. I can hear the thing thudding (lightly) around on the rough descents everywhere I live. I also tried to find any info on the post. No luck. My last bike had a 9point8 Fall Line and it seems to me that you could hand tighten the top collar of the post lower to stop the play. With this post, I have no idea. I'd love to be able to work on the darn thing.

high pivot witchcraft
    You guys who bought the full build with the dropper causing you grief...

Rejoice. Relative to what I paid to build my Druid from the frame up, you guys basically got these components for free. Sell the dropper and replace it with whatever you wish.

I wish so much I could have bought a full build when I got mine. I would have saved thousands, and still have ended up with a rock solid build (apart from a few things I would have sold and upgraded).

The Druid full builds are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than Konaís new lineup. Not sure how Forbidden is doing it, but BRAVO.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    You guys who bought the full build with the dropper causing you grief...

Rejoice. Relative to what I paid to build my Druid from the frame up, you guys basically got these components for free. Sell the dropper and replace it with whatever you wish.

I wish so much I could have bought a full build when I got mine. I would have saved thousands, and still have ended up with a rock solid build (apart from a few things I would have sold and upgraded).

The Druid full builds are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than Konaís new lineup. Not sure how Forbidden is doing it, but BRAVO.
    I'm very happy with the build and think it has great value. The XT 12 speed and brake's are awesome. Much better than Sram. The wheel set with dt350's been great too. I knew going in the dropper was the weak point and would need upgraded to bikeyoke. Just wish it functioned a little better for the time being until upgrade. The fork I know other's have struggled with, service seems to have to fixed that issue so no problem there.

Totally happy with bike and Forbidden's service/product. I'd highly recommend them. I do all my own maintenance and repair's so direct to consumer sale works great for me. There lightning quick to respond. Been impressed with Forbidden and performance of bike.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    You'd be shocked to see the Tier 1 OE cost for Shimano kit when it's assembled overseas. Same goes for SRAM.

About a decade ago, I had a run of RockShox forks that had the 20mm thru axles drilled wrong so that the wheel sat crooked in the drops. After getting about a dozen of them warranty'd (which were just new lowers with the same issue, and I was expected to swap them and rebuild the forks) I had a pointed discussion with my rep at which time I was given the same OE pricing that companies like Trek and Specialized got...it was about 30% of what I had been paying as a small builder.

mtbr member

I had the EXACT same experience with the RF dropper. (It was almost identical to the issues I had with an older PNW Bachelor which ultimately ended up being tossed). I emailed Forbidden, but was told to take it up with RF. That's basically just saying, sorry, your bike, your problem. I can't be the only one who the post absolutely useless. I bit the bullet and just got a new Transfer again which works perfect for me. I may upgrade the lever too, but thats a bit less necessary.

mtbr member

Which seals did specifically you replace? Which brand wipers did you use?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I had the EXACT same experience with the RF dropper. (It was almost identical to the issues I had with an older PNW Bachelor which ultimately ended up being tossed). I emailed Forbidden, but was told to take it up with RF. That's basically just saying, sorry, your bike, your problem. I can't be the only one who the post absolutely useless. I bit the bullet and just got a new Transfer again which works perfect for me. I may upgrade the lever too, but thats a bit less necessary.

Just found out the Affect is the same as a Brand-X or PNW Bacholor post.

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/blogs/...r-dropper-post

Here are the service instructions and video. Got mine apart right now.

mtbr member

That was my suspicion. I did multiple tear downs and servicing on the older post and it never ended up working. Transfer was 2 years, zero maintenance. Hope it goes well with servicing the RF. Mine's going on eBay.

mtbr member
    FYI, to all 2021 Fox 36 owners who are trying to get better performance. Vorsprung released the Secus and was tested/reviewed on a 2021 36. Seems to make some good improvements. Check it out here: https://nsmb.com/articles/riding-new-vorsprung-secus/

high pivot witchcraft
    I'm very happy with the build and think it has great value. The XT 12 speed and brake's are awesome. Much better than Sram. The wheel set with dt350's been great too. I knew going in the dropper was the weak point and would need upgraded to bikeyoke. Just wish it functioned a little better for the time being until upgrade. The fork I know other's have struggled with, service seems to have to fixed that issue so no problem there.

Totally happy with bike and Forbidden's service/product. I'd highly recommend them. I do all my own maintenance and repair's so direct to consumer sale works great for me. There lightning quick to respond. Been impressed with Forbidden and performance of bike.
    Excellent! Awesome to hear!!!

I didnít mean to trivialize the cost of a new seat post, by the way. I get that the bike is expensive, even if it may be a great deal.

And yes - I contacted Forbidden and got a lightning quick response. Very happy with the service level of late.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Dropper fixed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Which seals did specifically you replace? Which brand wipers did you use?

Just used the Fox "low friction" rebuild kit. Dunno if it is different than stock. Just no oil on bushing's. Same with dropper no lube near top bushing. Funny they had same problem. Dropper was 5 minute fix if you watch the PNW video.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Just used the Fox "low friction" rebuild kit. Dunno if it is different than stock. Just no oil on bushing's. Same with dropper no lube near top bushing. Funny they had same problem. Dropper was 5 minute fix if you watch the PNW video.
    Thanks jspec29 for the Fox 36 advice. Mine is coming apart ASAP. On other news, just got a PR on a trail used as an Enduro Stage that I've run over 50 times. I'm in worse shape than the last PR 2 years ago and the trail has been lengthened too. This bike is a beast! Now I just need to figure this fork out because shaking my hands out every 30secs on the downhills is a wee bit scary FYI - HSC and LSC are open and I have 3 volume spacers. Still bottoming a couple times a run so I'm hoping I can fix this with a simple rebuild.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm thinking of putting my large Druid frame with Push 11.6 up fro sale. You can buy the frame with or without the shock. Check Pinkbike in the next couple days. J

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    I'm thinking of putting my large Druid frame with Push 11.6 up fro sale. You can buy the frame with or without the shock. Check Pinkbike in the next couple days. J
    Always sad news. Any particular reason(s)?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

nice find jpec! i'll be working on mine soon! Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Always sad news. Any particular reason(s)?
    I have been wanting to try a super steep seat tube experiment for a while (79') as I have a very long inseam and can't afford to keep both bikes around. Cheers J

Off the back...
    I think I may have finally got the suspension [2021 Fox X2] figured out. LSR and HSR wide open, light on the LSC and only a hair more HSC . Job done! As an aside, I'm also running the 36 with wide open rebound. It's a little bouncy, so I'll likely add a click of damping, but it's pretty well matched to the back end.

People are starting to point and stare at the Druid on the trail, in parking lots and even while driving. It's becoming a local celebrity...

high pivot witchcraft
    I have been wanting to try a super steep seat tube experiment for a while (79') as I have a very long inseam and can't afford to keep both bikes around. Cheers J
    It will be sad to see you go. I consider you to be one of the true Druid OGs.

Are you prepared to share what bike is displacing the Druid as your #1?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    ...People are starting to point and stare at the Druid on the trail, in parking lots and even while driving. It's becoming a local celebrity...
    I had two Eurpoean dudes at West Bragg Sunday ask me 50 questions at the can before the ride. I referred them to Inside Line.

For the most part though, zero attention. People are dialled into their own world out there. Pretty sure every rider thinks their own bike is hot AF and isn't really looking too far beyond it.

I got WAY more attention last year with the Druid. People knew what it was and were amazed to see it in the wild. This year? Not so much.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft

So yeah. Quoting my own post.

Forbidden got back to me. I was right. The primary purpose of the lower chain guide is not to prevent the chain from dropping, but to maximize the number of teeth on the ring making contact with the chain links.

They recommended not running it without the lower guide. I have one on the way.

So in the meantime, I have been riding my hardtail.

Pro tip - if you want your suspension on the Druid to feel plush AF, ride a hardtail for a while. No button fiddling required. Satisfaction guaranteed.

I feel like hammered $hit. That said, I think I am going to go full cray and get the rigid Unit (so to speak) out there tomorrow.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think I may have finally got the suspension [2021 Fox X2] figured out. LSR and HSR wide open, light on the LSC and only a hair more HSC . Job done! As an aside, I'm also running the 36 with wide open rebound. It's a little bouncy, so I'll likely add a click of damping, but it's pretty well matched to the back end.

People are starting to point and stare at the Druid on the trail, in parking lots and even while driving. It's becoming a local celebrity...
    Whatís your rider weight? Iím running an X2 also and as expected, I have very little pop. In some respects, that works out for the type of riding I like to do (charging hard and fast) but Iíd love to jib a little more on small obstacles.

mtbr member
    So yeah.
    Forbidden got back to me. I was right. The primary purpose of the lower chain guide is not to prevent the chain from dropping, but to maximize the number of teeth on the ring making contact with the chain links.

They recommended not running it without the lower guide..
    I'm no engineer, but i struggle with that response. Any teeth past the 6 o'clock position of the centerline are basically doing nothing. A guide forcing wrap on the backside of the chainring doesn't help distribute load as the chain is on the return back to the derailleur. The lack of wrap does create issues but thats in the 12, 1, and 2 0'clock positions. I can tell you firsthand that oval rings dont play well with idlers. SX and Highlander dont have guides from the manufacturer.

Id ride it and see what you think. You might like it.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I'm no engineer, but i struggle with that response. Any teeth past the 6 o'clock position of the centerline are basically doing nothing. A guide forcing wrap on the backside of the chainring doesn't help distribute load as the chain is on the return back to the derailleur. The lack of wrap does create issues but thats in the 12, 1, and 2 0'clock positions. I can tell you firsthand that oval rings dont play well with idlers. SX and Highlander dont have guides from the manufacturer.

Id ride it and see what you think. You might like it.
    I got the same reply from forbidden.
    Also depends on what size chainring you run as to how many teeth will contact. The chain, unless stretched should Make even contact with teeth all around the chainring so extra chain wrap would potentially help but, also noted by forbidden, they did that to have the minimum teeth in contact with chain as detailed by most chainring/crank manufacturers.

Now that said, I removed mine and removed a link from my chain. Smooooothhh.

Now oval chainrings, if you can get the clocking dialed in then you may be in luck. The craftworks Enr Requires a 62.5degrees forward clocking (from memory) to account for the idler position. This may be differant for the druid as the idler will have been placed differantly.

As for me I just got rid of my oval all together

high pivot witchcraft
    I got the same reply from forbidden.
    Also depends on what size chainring you run as to how many teeth will contact. The chain, unless stretched should Make even contact with teeth all around the chainring so extra chain wrap would potentially help but, also noted by forbidden, they did that to have the minimum teeth in contact with chain as detailed by most chainring/crank manufacturers.

Now that said, I removed mine and removed a link from my chain. Smooooothhh.

Now oval chainrings, if you can get the clocking dialed in then you may be in luck. The craftworks Enr Requires a 62.5degrees forward clocking (from memory) to account for the idler position. This may be differant for the druid as the idler will have been placed differantly.

Forbidden also mentioned that the larger the frame, the less the problem.

I run an oval on my hard tail. I canít tell the difference. I would not dare run one on the Druid. Itís already way too much of a Rube Goldberg Machine as it is (as some of my friends refer to it, lol).

And yes - I much prefer it guide-free, as I mentioned in a post above. Less drag, and quieter. No downside that I can see. Even if there is a risk as a result of less teeth making contact, whatís the worst fall out? Wear on the drivetrain? Whatevs.

That said, I am going to install it once it arrives. Cuz I am a rule follower. Itís how I am hard wired.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Forbidden also mentioned that the larger the frame, the less the problem.

I run an oval on my hard tail. I canít tell the difference. I would not dare run one on the Druid. Itís already way too much of a Rube Goldberg Machine as it is (as some of my friends refer to it, lol).

And yes - I much prefer it guide-free, as I mentioned in a post above. Less drag, and quieter. No downside that I can see. Even if there is a risk as a result of less teeth making contact, whatís the worst fall out? Wear on the drivetrain? Whatevs.

That said, I am going to install it once it arrives. Cuz I am a rule follower. Itís how I am hard wired.

You should be able to position it so that it is only slightly in contact with the chasing to reduce the Friction it imposes.
    I did how ever manage to drop a chain at golden Mountain resort because I had it too loose. Potentially chain was too loose as well thought

high pivot witchcraft
    You should be able to position it so that it is only slightly in contact with the chasing to reduce the Friction it imposes.
    I did how ever manage to drop a chain at golden Mountain resort because I had it too loose. Potentially chain was too loose as well thought
    Agreed. I think it was positioned with way too much friction, which was likely the reason it disintegrated. I donít have that many miles on it. I would say ďmoderate mileageĒ, relative to other bikes.

I will install the new one much more loosely.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member

Unfortunately it's not the clocking, its the ovality itself. Bikes with idlers are only using about 90* of the chainring while a traditional bike is around 270*. As one side of the oval is ramping up, the other side is ramping down maintaining a consistent chain length. So much so, you can run ovals on singlespeed bikes. I have the same chainring on three bikes and the high pivot is the only one that does this. Pedaling feels odd, like the pedal is falling away from you as you compress it. Will switch back to round ring when I start riding it again. The rest of the bikes are great with the ovals so they'll stay.

Here's a video to demonstrate the chain growth on my rig with a 32t oval. I'd imagine a guide would just exacerbate the issue.

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/kTGnfJZQnyo

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200806_134216588.jpg
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Unfortunately it's not the clocking, its the ovality itself. Bikes with idlers are only using about 90* of the chainring while a traditional bike is around 270*. As one side of the oval is ramping up, the other side is ramping down maintaining a consistent chain length. So much so, you can run ovals on singlespeed bikes. I have the same chainring on three bikes and the high pivot is the only one that does this. Pedaling feels odd, like the pedal is falling away from you as you compress it. Will switch back to round ring when I start riding it again. The rest of the bikes are great with the ovals so they'll stay.

Here's a video to demonstrate the chain growth on my rig with a 32t oval. I'd imagine a guide would just exacerbate the issue.

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/kTGnfJZQnyo

Name:	IMG_20200806_134216588.jpg 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	1354593
    Thanks for this. Was always confused by the oval issue on HP bikes until now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi, with the discussion on this guideless topic, I'm quite inclined to go towards this this direction. I will be on a non oval 32T chainring with Eagle 50T, on a M size frame. As per recommended, it should be on 126 links with guide, should I reduce 1 links without the guide? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It will be sad to see you go. I consider you to be one of the true Druid OGs.

Are you prepared to share what bike is displacing the Druid as your #1?
    Commencal Meta TR29

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Frame storage

So I got a bit crafty today, and turned the saddle bag into frame storage. Looks tidy if you ask me.
    Mount some holes in the back of bag for frame bolts to slot through then a peice of plastic on the inside of bag to lock it in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200806_160945.jpg  

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200806_161019.jpg  

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by revver View Post
    Hi, with the discussion on this guideless topic, I'm quite inclined to go towards this this direction. I will be on a non oval 32T chainring with Eagle 50T, on a M size frame. As per recommended, it should be on 126 links with guide, should I reduce 1 links without the guide? Thanks.
    I wouldnít unless you have to. I didnít and things were fine. And I ADDED links to my chain when it was built.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    So I got a bit crafty today, and turned the saddle bag into frame storage. Looks tidy if you ask me.
    Mount some holes in the back of bag for frame bolts to slot through then a peice of plastic on the inside of bag to lock it in.
    That looks nice. Hopefully whatever you put in there does not get ground into powder.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    That looks nice. Hopefully whatever you put in there does not get ground into powder.
    Haha thanks. Yea I'm thinking multi tool, maybe a c02 and some snacks. Always have to have trail snacks

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Kind of confused how 10mm increase would void the warranty. I can see how 120 to 160mm would. But I'll leave that up to Forbidden to describe.

I kind of wonder what their pro riders are running? 160mm front w/ 140mm rear maybe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Commencal Meta TR29
    Nice! I am considering this option as well.

Yeti 5.5 Turq,Evil The Following MB, Chromag Primer, Evil The Offering

mtbr member
    I had two Eurpoean dudes at West Bragg Sunday ask me 50 questions at the can before the ride. I referred them to Inside Line.

For the most part though, zero attention. People are dialled into their own world out there. Pretty sure every rider thinks their own bike is hot AF and isn't really looking too far beyond it.

I got WAY more attention last year with the Druid. People knew what it was and were amazed to see it in the wild. This year? Not so much.
    is there a podcast with forbidden on the inside line? been trying to find it.

high pivot witchcraft
    is there a podcast with forbidden on the inside line? been trying to find it.
    Sorry for the confusion on my part. What I meant was that Inside Line is the local Forbidden dealer.

There are a number of posters in this thread who have been very happy with the level of service they have received from Inside Line (including myself).

I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have a local Forbidden dealer with an owner and employees who are all serious bada$$ riders, who ride Druids and are familiar with every square centimetre of them, and who are suspension experts and mechanical surgeons. Plus they have stock!
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmag76 View Post
    Nice! I am considering this option as well.

I was also chewing over the Meta TR 29, but chose the lower travel Druid as a better option for most of my riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Well. Got my XL cosmic eggplant monday on schedule, built it up over two evenings. She's quite a looker, still getting all my orange accessories and stickers in place. First ride Wednesday morning was a blast, could certainly feel drag but still set some climbing PRs. I know part of the drag is my cane creek neo BB that will wear in a bit. Second ride Thursday evening went and found some technical chunk, set some PRs on a huge rock garden loop.

Afterwards... noticed I had a serious creak going on somewhere in the rear end, bad enough for me to bail out to the nearest pavement. Have since had a friend and I go over it narrowing it down to somewhere in the linkage, but after retorquing all the pivots it persists, bit annoying. We pulled off the main pivot cover and one of the linkage bolts, both appeared to be greased decently, but is there somewhere else I should start looking before I tear it all apart and regrease?

Also, noticed the lower guide could be a bit better aligned with the chain line in my xtr 9100 setup, but doesn't look like there's a way to do so?

Stoked on how awesome the bike feels, I'm glad I went with XL, certainly hard to pop the front up while seated, but actually not as hard as I expected while standing, but hope I can figure out this creak to go ride again, bummed having missed one opportunity so soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Well. Got my XL cosmic eggplant monday on schedule, built it up over two evenings. She's quite a looker, still getting all my orange accessories and stickers in place. First ride Wednesday morning was a blast, could certainly feel drag but still set some climbing PRs. I know part of the drag is my cane creek neo BB that will wear in a bit. Second ride Thursday evening went and found some technical chunk, set some PRs on a huge rock garden loop.

Afterwards... noticed I had a serious creak going on somewhere in the rear end, bad enough for me to bail out to the nearest pavement. Have since had a friend and I go over it narrowing it down to somewhere in the linkage, but after retorquing all the pivots it persists, bit annoying. We pulled off the main pivot cover and one of the linkage bolts, both appeared to be greased decently, but is there somewhere else I should start looking before I tear it all apart and regrease?

Also, noticed the lower guide could be a bit better aligned with the chain line in my xtr 9100 setup, but doesn't look like there's a way to do so?

Stoked on how awesome the bike feels, I'm glad I went with XL, certainly hard to pop the front up while seated, but actually not as hard as I expected while standing, but hope I can figure out this creak to go ride again, bummed having missed one opportunity so soon.
    I had creaking from the rear end somewhere, I've since removed regrease and re torqued everything including bb, and shock. I did find the bearings in my Linkage was not centred, so I've pressed those in to be even.
    More often than note its the bb in my experience. But you should always thread lock your pivot bolts on a new bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I had creaking from the rear end somewhere, I've since removed regrease and re torqued everything including bb, and shock. I did find the bearings in my Linkage was not centred, so I've pressed those in to be even.
    More often than note its the bb in my experience. But you should always thread lock your pivot bolts on a new bike
    Yeah I expected BB right away, but actually slipped the chain off and depressurized the shock to actuate the linkage without any crank/drivetrain movement, still there. I will say the pivot cover screw and other pieces seems to have well applied threadlocker, tomorrow I'll just go through with grease.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

I had the same Neo BB on my Druid, and I was having some serious creaking going on.
    I went through everything on the bike. After pulling the drivetrain apart 3x, it turned out that my brand new. BB cup was fractured.
    I changed out the BB to a wheels mnf. And the creaking went away.
    This was a few months ago. And Iíve still yet to receive my ďupdatedĒ Neo replacement

Maybe something to check?

Yeti 5.5 Turq,Evil The Following MB, Chromag Primer, Evil The Offering

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567