Forbidden Bike Co Druid - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,175 of 1175
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    Yes feels the same to me in all 3 positions. Have a dpx2 on other bike and drastic difference between settings

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yea should Be a pretty obvious differance. Next you can see if there's a differance between max compression and wide open compression but ild say your damper is not playing the game. Ild get ahold of forbidden or your local forbidden dealer. Could be a simple shock service to sort issue or could be a complete replacement.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Owen: Just something that came to my mind: we all have this wonderful space under the downtube. But to access it, a 4mm allen key is needed. So, why don't you make the a slightly different rubber protector that can be slotted in from the back and fixed with a twist lock (like those that have a slit for a coin to twist) in the front. Like that, it could be opened and closed with ease and make stuff super acessible.
    New Druid XT owner. Couple question after first ride.

1. Loud rattling near headtube. Cables?

2. Very twitchy steering. Headset was very tight. Loosening help. First bike with 44mm offset. Maybe the offset?

3. I'm 215lbs started with body weight psi in dpx2. Was about 25% sag. Rear was very stiff hardtail like. 180psi was 35% felt better but still harsh. Never ran a dpx2 with this low of pressure. Normal?

4. 2021 Fox 36 Grip2 didn't feel good. Needs to break in?

I use a Zee bottle cage with attached mini tool so I can ride packless and still have access to the downtube cavity, where I keep a tube, levers and few other things. I would not want to be accessing that very often, for fear of stripping the tiny screws.

Related to this, I had a strange noise going on at the end of a particularly aggressive ride. I actually thought I broke a chain stay or something. As with most noises, I couldnít isolate it very well. I brought the bike to the local dealer to make sure it was safe to ride. They couldnít figure it out. The next ride I had a revelation - my levers had come loose in the cavity.

As for the 36 Grip2, you may wish to consider a Luftkappe. Super inexpensive. Did the trick for me.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I use a Zee bottle cage with attached mini tool so I can ride packless and still have access to the downtube cavity, where I keep a tube, levers and few other things. I would not want to be accessing that very often, for fear of stripping the tiny screws.

Related to this, I had a strange noise going on at the end of a particularly aggressive ride. I actually thought I broke a chain stay or something. As with most noises, I couldnít isolate it very well. I brought the bike to the local dealer to make sure it was safe to ride. They couldnít figure it out. The next ride I had a revelation - my levers had come loose in the cavity.

As for the 36 Grip2, you may wish to consider a Luftkappe. Super inexpensive. Did the trick for me.
    My plab for that storage would just be tube and tire levers, c02 etc. Hoping to get a little bag to put them in to reduce and damage to carbon etc.
    The new fox fork has like 17% larger negative air chamber so should feal pretty plush from the get go. I also run a luftkappe in my rc2 fox 36. And will defenatly be running it In the new fork too. #gamechanger

On a side note has anyone tried the marzocchi cr coil shock. It sounds like you don't really need a climb switch on one of these things?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

2. Very twitchy steering. Headset was very tight. Loosening help. First bike with 44mm offset. Maybe the offset?

3. I'm 215lbs started with body weight psi in dpx2. Was about 25% sag. Rear was very stiff hardtail like. 180psi was 35% felt better but still harsh. Never ran a dpx2 with this low of pressure. Normal?

1. Mine had a rattle as well, turned out its from the storage tube in my oneup too. the tire plug was rattling around in there.

3. I'm 207 plus riding gear, And i settled on 201 with a couple clicks from open on compression and rebound with the DPX2, It seems about perfect.

4. 2021 Fox 36 is probably the plushest fork I have owned to date. As noted from another member, you should prob check your settings, and air pressure recommendation is different than past models. (this fork should have you saying, "holy crap does this feel good")
    Yeti 5.5 Turq,Evil The Following MB, Chromag Primer, Evil The Offering

Off the back...

1. Could be cables, but maybe take a look at the whole front end if you already noted the headset was tight. Could be an assembly issue.
    2. If you came off a bike with a 51mm offset fork, the 44 will feel a little twitchy.
    3. That's a bit odd. So are the issues with the switch on the DPX2. I'd take it back to wherever you got it and have it checked out.
    4. Fox 36 forks always feel quite firm to me, so I usually remove one of the volume spacers to make it more plush. The Vorsprung Luftkappe is an excellent product, and will also help make the fork feel more forgiving.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Does anybody have a viable solution for preventing rocks and pebbles from being lodged between the swingarm and the seattube. I have had this happen 3 times so far, making loud crunchy noises and I need to flip the bike over to get the rock out. I have a block of moto foam there but the rocks seem to get around it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hi all, I just picked one of these up and am excited to give it a try! Wondering if there is a consensus (if there can be on anything in the MTB world) on what good cockpit setup is. I'm 5'8" and coming off a medium Evil Offering that has 15mm more reach than the Medium Druid. Was thinking a 50mm stem and 35mm rise bars but wanted to get opinions. I live and ride in the PNW.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update after second ride. Removed tubes, 54t rachets and swapped to a carbon bar from other bike. 33.16lbs XL XT build.

1. Rattle is dropper cable flopping around in frame, very loud and annoying. Next fix

2. Bar swap and loosening headset help, think I'm just use to 51mm offset on fork.

3. Ended up running way less than recommended pressure on fork and shock. I'm 210lb in riding gear. Ended up with 170psi in shock and 68psi in fork.

4. Felt better with lower pressure

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update after second ride. Removed tubes, 54t rachets and swapped to a carbon bar from other bike. 33.16lbs XL XT build.

1. Rattle is dropper cable flopping around in frame, very loud and annoying. Next fix

2. Bar swap and loosening headset help, think I'm just use to 51mm offset on fork.

3. Ended up running way less than recommended pressure on fork and shock. I'm 210lb in riding gear. Ended up with 170psi in shock and 68psi in fork.

4. Felt better with lower pressure
    2nd ride

mtbr member
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krylon1892 View Post
    Hi all, I just picked one of these up and am excited to give it a try! Wondering if there is a consensus (if there can be on anything in the MTB world) on what good cockpit setup is. I'm 5'8" and coming off a medium Evil Offering that has 15mm more reach than the Medium Druid. Was thinking a 50mm stem and 35mm rise bars but wanted to get opinions. I live and ride in the PNW.
    Iím interested in hearing you thoughts on the switch. My Offering was just stolen and trying to decide between getting another or trying a Druid. Iím 5í9Ē and rode a medium Offering with 35mm stem, 20mm rise bars (and 160 Lyrik). Felt great so was thinking medium Druid with 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MantanaB6 View Post
    Iím interested in hearing you thoughts on the switch. My Offering was just stolen and trying to decide between getting another or trying a Druid. Iím 5í9Ē and rode a medium Offering with 35mm stem, 20mm rise bars (and 160 Lyrik). Felt great so was thinking medium Druid with 50mm stem.
    Not that this will really help but Iím 6í0Ē on a size large, 40mm stem, 20mm rise bars and the bike fits perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Quote Originally Posted by senorbanana View Post
    Does anybody have a viable solution for preventing rocks and pebbles from being lodged between the swingarm and the seattube. I have had this happen 3 times so far, making loud crunchy noises and I need to flip the bike over to get the rock out. I have a block of moto foam there but the rocks seem to get around it.
    Most guys are running moto foam. Iím going to add some tonight or tomorrow. I will post some pics after I do. In the meantime...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0079.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    Iíd go large, but Iím long and lanky and I like big frames, I cannot lie...

Iím 5í10Ē. 34Ē inseam and 35Ē sleeve for dress shirts. When I got my bike back after suspension surgery, after riding my Kona Unit through the winter, I could not believe how small my Druid felt. I thought my local dealer had played a trick on me and gave me a medium back.

All good now though. Just had to get used to it after my very LARGE large Unit.

Iím running a 50mm Turbine stem and an uncut 800mm 20mm rise Next R bar. I have been toying with trying a 35mm rise bar but the cornering on this as is, is insane. I donít want to mess with the recipe.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    It's a tough call. I think if I was hitting up bike parks on a regular basis I may go large, but leaning medium since I'm generally riding tighter PNW chunk. I didn't feel like I wanted a longer bike than the Offering, unfortunately the sizing is right in between.

If anyone in the Portland area has one (or MT as I'll be there for the next 1.5 weeks), I'd love to meet up to check out the sizing! Willing to provide a 6-pack for your troubles...
    Evil Offering - Stolen!!!
    New Bike TBD

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    It's a tough call. I think if I was hitting up bike parks on a regular basis I may go large, but leaning medium since I'm generally riding tighter PNW chunk. I didn't feel like I wanted a longer bike than the Offering, unfortunately the sizing is right in between.

If anyone in the Portland area has one (or MT as I'll be there for the next 1.5 weeks), I'd love to meet up to check out the sizing! Willing to provide a 6-pack for your troubles...
    I'm 5'7" and I test rode a size medium yesterday. If is about perfict for me. But I could size up I think with a shorter stem which would suit the longer straight trails but the size Medium for Me feals very flickable and agile for the tighter stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,
    Any pics on exactly where the trapped rocks are grinding the frame? Thanks.

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Quote Originally Posted by revver View Post
    Hi,
    Any pics on exactly where the trapped rocks are grinding the frame? Thanks.
    Right behind the seat tube in the chain stay yoke.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-adjustments.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sounds like we are about the same size. I tried like 20 different combos and stem/bars lengths. Personally, I think 50mm stem is too long. 35/40mm lengths and 25-35mm risers seemed to feel best...I'm currently running after maybe 100 adjustments with spacers, etc. Nukeproof 35mm stem w/ their 25mm risers at a bar width of 760mm w/ 17.5mm spacers under the stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Right behind the seat tube in the chain stay yoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	1343647
    Hi mtnbikermike, thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Dang! Thats horrible news! I feel for you. Sounds like we had a pretty similar setup with me having an angleset. And it was a big bike in that configuration. Went with the medium to lessen the wheelbase and to see if the steering changed with the 50mm stem. My Offering frame is available and I'd let it go to you for a few hundred below going rate because of the theft if you want to stick with it. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmrmusic26 View Post
    Sounds like we are about the same size. I tried like 20 different combos and stem/bars lengths. Personally, I think 50mm stem is too long. 35/40mm lengths and 25-35mm risers seemed to feel best...I'm currently running after maybe 100 adjustments with spacers, etc. Nukeproof 35mm stem w/ their 25mm risers at a bar width of 760mm w/ 17.5mm spacers under the stem.
    Cool to hear! You have definitely done way more research than I have. What didn't you like about the 50mm stem? I was thinking of it to slow the steering and keep the same effective reach as my last bike. I might just start by switching my 35mm stem 20mm risers at 800 over to simulate your setup. Fork at 150?

high pivot witchcraft
    Kind of a long shot, but anyone here try Rev Grips? $95 CDN seems like a lot for grips but I have to admit, my hands were pretty sore during last nightís ride. I brought my bike in today to get the V2 link switch done and some moto foam installed, and spotted them on the shelf. I pick my bike up tomorrow. Thinking about it...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Kind of a long shot, but anyone here try Rev Grips? $95 CDN seems like a lot for grips but I have to admit, my hands were pretty sore during last nightís ride. I brought my bike in today to get the V2 link switch done and some moto foam installed, and spotted them on the shelf. I pick my bike up tomorrow. Thinking about it...
    I havenít used the Rev grips but have read/watched some good reviews. It sounds like they make a substantial difference.

How are you ďinstallingĒ the moto foam? I will have mine this week but thought you just cut it to size and wedge it in.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by C0Mtnbkr View Post
    I havenít used the Rev grips but have read/watched some good reviews. It sounds like they make a substantial difference.

How are you ďinstallingĒ the moto foam? I will have mine this week but thought you just cut it to size and wedge it in.

I donít have any foam. They said they would throw some in for free. I took them up on it. Iím sure itís simple AF. Just like you described. Iím happy to ask them if there are any tricks if you wish. I will be back there tomorrow.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I donít have any foam. They said they would throw some in for free. I took them up on it. Iím sure itís simple AF.
    Right on, thanks. Iíd appreciate if youíd let me know if the shop does anything special for the install. I def. donít want to crack my frame in such an avoidable way.

high pivot witchcraft
    Right on, thanks. Iíd appreciate if youíd let me know if the shop does anything special for the install. I def. donít want to crack my frame in such an avoidable way.

I will ask them for any tips and tricks, and will post some pics tomorrow if you want to wait. I have seen their bikes done. The addition of the foam does NOT enhance the appearance. It looks pretty weekend warrior-ish.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I will ask them for any tips and tricks, and will post some pics tomorrow if you want to wait. I have seen their bikes done. The addition of the foam does NOT enhance the appearance. It looks pretty weekend warrior-ish.
    Thanks, I wonít be able to install until Friday anyways.

Yea, Iíve seen pics too and agree. Bought my frame used though so no warranty and a frame is better than no frame. I rode in SoCal and all we have are small rocks that would be a perfect fit for that space.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yep.

Got a set in the widest diameter for the hardtail and a sensible width for the Druid.

They do make a noticeable difference if you are racing/riding aggressive terrain or if you suffer with arm pump. I can push on in the rougher terrain without feeling the need to brake when racing through braking bumps or rough rooty sections.

I bought the cheaper series (they are in a standard black colour anyway) I just plan to replace the rubber grip when ever it wears out.
    Coaching | Training | Guiding
    www.pedaltoprogression.com

high pivot witchcraft
    Thanks, I wonít be able to install until Friday anyways.

Yea, Iíve seen pics too and agree. Bought my frame used though so no warranty and a frame is better than no frame. I rode in SoCal and all we have are small rocks that would be a perfect fit for that space.

Got my bike back. No tricks. Just cut and place.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0093.jpg

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0094.jpg

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0095.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    That bike is immaculate! How do you keep that chain so clean, mtnbkermike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	1344103

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	1344105

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	1344107
    Thanks! Looks great

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    That bike is immaculate! How do you keep that chain so clean, mtnbkermike?
    My drivetrain is dirty AF. It's actually a gold chain

The ring is brand new today though. I only discovered today that I have been riding a 32 tooth ring all this time. I would have bet anyone it was a 30 tooth. Some of those sustained climbs might be a little less heinous now.

I have been faithfully using ProLink lube for the past 15+ years. I know a lot of guys I respect on here don't particularly like it, but my drivetrains outlast everyone else's I know by at least 2 seasons, and I ride 5x more than they do. Apply and wipe each ride. It cleans and lubes. I have tried other lube that gets a lot of love on here, but it has left my drivetrain a gunky mess. I could not get it off fast enough.

Thanks Scott O. I was relieved I wasn't a victim of your fabled but feared wit. Lol. Or was I...?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    Thanks! Looks great

Thank you. And you're more than welcome. Let us know if yours looks any different once you get it done.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	1344103

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	1344105

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	1344107
    Hi,
    I do not have my Druid yet, coming end July. May I know the spacing or distance between the 2 screws that are holding the rear mud guard? Thanks.

high pivot witchcraft
    Hi,
    I do not have my Druid yet, coming end July. May I know the spacing or distance between the 2 screws that are holding the rear mud guard? Thanks.
    I roughly measure about 2 and 3/8ths inches.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0101.jpg

Do you need a more accurate measurement?

And CONGRATS in advance!
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I roughly measure about 2 and 3/8ths inches.

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	1344135

Do you need a more accurate measurement?

And CONGRATS in advance!
    Thanks, looking forward to ride the High Pivot Druid.

So it's around 60.5mm. I was looking at the RRP direct mount mud guard and maybe the 2021 Fox fork mud guard as a longer alternative.

mtbr member
    May 2017

So it's around 60.5mm. I was looking at the RRP direct mount mud guard and maybe the 2021 Fox fork mud guard as a longer alternative.
    No way, I have both the smaller rrp bolt on fender and the 2021 fox fender and the rrp is huuuuuuge and the fox bolt holes are way past the seatstays.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_6105.jpg  

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_6110.jpg  

Last edited by KineticFear; 2 Days Ago at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2017

I have attached a quick dimensional sketch I made for the mudguard. You can use this to see what will fit.
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-dimsenions.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    my xt druid arrived a few days ago. i'm super stoked.

anyone having difficulty dialing their 2021 fox 36? i've been following fox guy jordie's suspension guide on youtube and going by the pressure recommendations he and fox make.

i'm between 165-170 with gear. my fork is at 82 psi to get the recommended max sag of 20% (or 30mm) and running the 2 tokens that came installed. i've dialed in the compression and rebound:

hsr - 5 clicks from closed
    lsr - 7 clicks from closed
    hsc - 7 clicks from closed
    lsc - 12 clicks from closed

the bike just doesn't feel balanced. i have the dpx2 at 19mm sag, rebound 3 clicks from full pogo and compression open as forbidden recommends. it's like the front and rear not working well together.

here is how i would describe it: you know when your front wheel bumps into a rock or something and the rock is too big for your speed? so you kinda do a mini endo as your bike's rear end kicks up? that's kinda what it feels like all the time.

any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Seems like too much pressure in the fork, I'm between 185 and 195 kitted and run ~80 psi to use full travel on the steepest trails I ride. Fork feels pretty good at that pressure. HSC is open when rooty & rocky, up to half when smoother. Tune dynamic ride height with LSC.

Rear is set up at 140-145 psi and feels great. I've tried higher pressure but it just doesn't feel right - bounces off rather than absorbing roots and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamblichus View Post

anyone having difficulty dialing their 2021 fox 36? i've been following fox guy jordie's suspension guide on youtube and going by the pressure recommendations he and fox make.

i'm between 165-170 with gear. my fork is at 82 psi to get the recommended max sag of 20% (or 30mm) and running the 2 tokens that came installed. i've dialed in the compression and rebound:

the bike just doesn't feel balanced. i have the dpx2 at 19mm sag, rebound 3 clicks from full pogo and compression open as forbidden recommends. it's like the front and rear not working well together.

here is how i would describe it: you know when your front wheel bumps into a rock or something and the rock is too big for your speed? so you kinda do a mini endo as your bike's rear end kicks up? that's kinda what it feels like all the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by senorbanana View Post
    I have attached a quick dimensional sketch I made for the mudguard. You can use this to see what will fit.

Name:	dimsenions.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	1344233
    Thanks. I will look around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Rookie question/issue: I took the chain off the idler wheel to install a new chain stay guard. I now canít get the chain to seat well back onto the idler pulley so itís clunking when peddled. Any tips on getting the chain aligned with the idler pulley? Iím running SRAM XX1 AXS and canít decide if I have to reprogram the AXS system or if itís something unique to the Druid.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    just keep taking the chain on and off the pulley till it slips into its groove.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

ive got revgrips.
    i got them after breaking my hand and having 9weeks off the bike, got the grips went straight too whistler bike park and didnt get arm pump or anything. i havnt back to back tested with other grips but i havnt wanted too.

Robertson
    If anyone with a matte black druid, size L is interested in a spare rear triangle for really, really cheap shoot me a PM. Totally functional except for a broken nutsert for the rear fender (you can run a normal fender instead) and would rather it go to a good home than the dumpster

Off the back...

Pull out one of the tokens. I'm pretty sure that Fox believes that everyone does dorp to falt all the time, every time. Two volume spacers can make the fork a little harsh at your [our] weight, although the 2021 is MUCH better in terms of plushness than previous versions.

high pivot witchcraft
    So...

I finally have my Druid dialled almost perfectly.

I suspect I damaged my bike washing it carelessly, too much, or both. So far I have destroyed the bearings in the high idler, my front DT240 hub, and my Wheels Mfg BB. I need to be much more careful. That said, everything looked fine inside - no contamination, so maybe itís just mileage but I highly doubt that.

Anyway, after depleting my bank account even more, itís now running silently and silky smooth.

The only issue I have at the moment is I find I get a little caught up in slow speed roots and holes that I ride through (without popping the front end over). I canít tell if itís front or back, or both. Not sure if I need to increase LSC for both my fork and shock, maybe decrease rebound, maybe increase psi in my fork slightly, or a combo.

Anyway, Iím down to the fine strokes. I am almost 100% ďthereĒ. A little more trail side button fiddling and I think I will have finally reached the pinnacle.

I love this bike.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    So...

I suspect I damaged my bike washing it carelessly, too much, or both. So far I have destroyed the bearings in the high idler, my front DT240 hub, and my Wheels Mfg BB. I need to be much more careful. That said, everything looked fine inside - no contamination, so maybe itís just mileage but I highly doubt that.

Anyway, after depleting my bank account even more, itís now running silently and silky smooth.

The only issue I have at the moment is I find I get a little caught up in slow speed roots and holes that I ride through (without popping the front end over). I canít tell if itís front or back, or both. Not sure if I need to increase LSC for both my fork and shock, maybe decrease rebound, maybe increase psi in my fork slightly, or a combo.

Anyway, Iím down to the fine strokes. I am almost 100% ďthereĒ. A little more trail side button fiddling and I think I will have finally reached the pinnacle.

I love this bike.
    Just to add a bit more confusion to your settings. If your hitting the roots at speed, it becomes hsc. Also worth nothing if you find a good rooty section that doesn't feal right, stop and session it. Try a run with your current settings, then go massive harder ie 4-6 clicks more compression. If it feals shit then you need to go the other way.
    I found with my luftkappe installed I could back off my compression completely and bomb through anything. When riding slow tech I add like 3-4 clicks of lsc.

Off the back...
    The idler, hub, AND the BB? Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. Pressure washer?

high pivot witchcraft
    Oh yeah. And V1 ó> V2 link.

No. Not a pressure washer. Never. Just my garden hose on a gentle spray. What I have been doing for the past 20 years with no issues.

I actually donít think itís from washing. Maybe just mileage. Or bad luck. Like I said, nothing looks contaminated internally. And again, I have changed nothing in my washing routine of 2 decades. I am always super careful.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    I had a great night on the Druid yesterday. I even got a "OMG, is that a DRUID?!?!?!?" as I rode by one group. Another guy I passed on a climb jumped on my wheel and peppered me with questions for 500m. After that, I threw down PRs on the climb and the descent. It's witchcraft!

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    I had a great night on the Druid yesterday. I even got a "OMG, is that a DRUID?!?!?!?" as I rode by one group. Another guy I passed on a climb jumped on my wheel and peppered me with questions for 500m. After that, I threw down PRs on the climb and the descent. It's witchcraft!
    The other night on Strange Brew a guy was freaking out on my Druid. First time this year. Last year that happened every second ride. I literally drew a small crowd last summer at the picnic table on Odyssey. It turned into a Q&A. Like a press conference. This year, not so much so far. Everyone is dialled into their own world. Oblivious. The star of their own little movie out there.

And yeah. Thereís some serious sorcery going on with that bike. The harder I push it, the better it feels. The 11-6 has raised the ceiling not only on balls to the wall straight line mobbing, but also with climbing. And everything in between for that matter. Dialled.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So...

I love this bike.
    Any tips on internal cable routing slap? Iím three rides in on my build. First ride it was beautifully silent but I adjusted my BikeYoke dropper post upwards and had to pull a bit more cable through. Second ride the bike was noisy AF but I didnít do anything about it. Third ride, I took the time to isolate the noise and it seems to be the internal cable routing. I pulled the dropper post cable taught and tightened the ďcable management flapĒ on the head tube but am still getting some loud cable slap.

high pivot witchcraft
    Any tips on internal cable routing slap? Iím three rides in on my build. First ride it was beautifully silent but I adjusted my BikeYoke dropper post upwards and had to pull a bit more cable through. Second ride the bike was noisy AF but I didnít do anything about it. Third ride, I took the time to isolate the noise and it seems to be the internal cable routing. I pulled the dropper post cable taught and tightened the ďcable management flapĒ on the head tube but am still getting some loud cable slap.

I canít help you with that except to give you hope. Last night mine was whisper quiet. Sublime.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    heyo. so while i am still sorting out my fork issues, at least have a fix for this. i learned this from the guys at OPEN:

https://jagwire.com/products/small-p...housing-damper

reinstalling your cables is ideal. if you don't want to reinstall your cables, cut the foam long ways, use a little lube and slide it on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    good idea. thank you! i do a fair amount of dropping to flat-- really though, nothing close to crazy. i'll try that today and see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    heyo. so while i am still sorting out my fork issues, at least have a fix for this. i learned this from the guys at OPEN:

https://jagwire.com/products/small-p...housing-damper

reinstalling your cables is ideal. if you don't want to reinstall your cables, cut the foam long ways, use a little lube and slide it on.
    Perfect, thanks. Does the Druid not have internal cable housing/routing? I thought it did for some reason but the noise coming from my bike says otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Has anyone tried the 160mm fork?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

I've done this two different ways on different bikes. If you can wrap four or five zip ties around the cable over the inserted section, they stay pretty quiet. You don't cut the zip ties. Or you can pull the fork and cram some foam down the DT.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Remove the stash cover on the downtime and put your spares in a zip lock bag. Took away all the noise for me. A ring of Moto Foam might also do the trick too.
    Coaching | Training | Guiding
    www.pedaltoprogression.com

mtbr member
    My drivetrain is dirty AF. It's actually a gold chain

The ring is brand new today though. I only discovered today that I have been riding a 32 tooth ring all this time. I would have bet anyone it was a 30 tooth. Some of those sustained climbs might be a little less heinous now.

I have been faithfully using ProLink lube for the past 15+ years. I know a lot of guys I respect on here don't particularly like it, but my drivetrains outlast everyone else's I know by at least 2 seasons, and I ride 5x more than they do. Apply and wipe each ride. It cleans and lubes. I have tried other lube that gets a lot of love on here, but it has left my drivetrain a gunky mess. I could not get it off fast enough.

Thanks Scott O. I was relieved I wasn't a victim of your fabled but feared wit. Lol. Or was I...?
    Sorry, Mike. I was reading thread and it was very technical and confusing. The best thing I could come up with was, "I like your chain."

mtbr member
    So...

I love this bike.
    dude. you must wash your bike like a boss

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by _HENDO_ View Post
    Remove the stash cover on the downtime and put your spares in a zip lock bag. Took away all the noise for me. A ring of Moto Foam might also do the trick too.
    Maybe thatís why mine is silent. I have a tube (in a ziplock), levers and a few other things in there.

Except when my levers came loose and then I had thought I broke my frame with all the racket on the downs.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _HENDO_ View Post
    I have a tube stashed there already, no plastic bag but I also donít have any tools in there or anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I cut an old tube put all my tools spare hanger and tubeless dart then zip tied both ends to make it waterproof and secure. It's completely silent and protects the carbon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    what size druids are you all riding? i cant fit a tube in the bb compartment (size M). there is no way i could put a tube and tools in there. maybe i need to get a light weight tube? i've been trying to stuff one of the tubes that came with the bike in there.

high pivot witchcraft
    what size druids are you all riding? i cant fit a tube in the bb compartment (size M). there is no way i could put a tube and tools in there. maybe i need to get a light weight tube? i've been trying to stuff one of the tubes that came with the bike in there.
    Large frame. Lightweight Specialized Turbo tube in a ziplock. I used a straw to vac pack it. Plus 2 interlocking plastic tire levers.

Plenty of room in my reverse SWAT box. So much so that when my levers came loose and started bouncing around in there, I thought I had broken my frame.

I expect I might have trouble trying to jam an OEM tube in there. Just as good - things are heavy enough as it is. Every bit helps.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Yes mine sucks to was deflecting like crazy im around 210 and down to 60 psi still feels bad

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Mines super loud to after pulling cable out farther. Put some of the plastic frame wrap that came on the bike in the down tube seemed to help. Still get some rattle

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Yes mine sucks to was deflecting like crazy im around 210 and down to 60 psi still feels bad

My '20 with the Luftkappe feels better than my '21 with the Luftkappe for sure but "deflecting" makes it seem like your have too much compression damping. It's also worth noting that sometimes here in the PNW bad tire performance sometimes gets mistaken for bad fork performance. If you picked up a complete build with the Assegai's, I assume it doesn't have the MaxxGrip compound. Swapping to a slow rebound rubber like the MaxxGrip will keep your front end from pinging off of every oblique rock and root (which can feel like there's too much compression damping.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    My '20 with the Luftkappe feels better than my '21 with the Luftkappe for sure but "deflecting" makes it seem like your have too much compression damping. It's also worth noting that sometimes here in the PNW bad tire performance sometimes gets mistaken for bad fork performance. If you picked up a complete build with the Assegai's, I assume it doesn't have the MaxxGrip compound. Swapping to a slow rebound rubber like the MaxxGrip will keep your front end from pinging off of every oblique rock and root (which can feel like there's too much compression damping.)
    Strange your 2020 fork feals better than the 2021, both with luftkappe installed. I'm half tempted to get the slx build and coil the fork, with all these complaints about the new fork.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanc12 View Post
    Strange your 2020 fork feals better than the 2021, both with luftkappe installed. I'm half tempted to get the slx build and coil the fork, with all these complaints about the new fork.
    I miss the almost infinite adjustability of the DPX2. If you are going coil, front or back, make sure you take time to nail the right weight coil. And even then, regardless of how much thought you put into it, there is still a good chance you will f it up. Just search PB for how many are looking to sell or swap coils. It can turn into a real PITA. In addition to weight (which I donít seem to care about as much as others), for me this is one of the biggest downsides to anything coil sprung. Others may disagree.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I miss the almost infinite adjustability of the DPX2. If you are going coil, front or back, make sure you take time to nail the right weight coil. And even then, regardless of how much thought you put into it, there is still a good chance you will f it up. Just search PB for how many are looking to sell or swap coils. It can turn into a real PITA. In addition to weight (which I donít seem to care about as much as others), for me this is one of the biggest downsides to anything coil sprung. Others may disagree.
    not to mention if your weight fluctuates by more than a few lbs throughout the year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    But when you get it right..... How's your push shcok compared to the dpx2. Still not sure why everyone says the fox 36 2021 feals soo Bad. All the tech with negative air tunes and lighter shim stack should Make it super plush. Has anyone pulled it apart to see if fox has sorted out there over greasing. They normally put so much grease on the air piston that it reduced the negative air chamber significantly.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    But when you get it right..... How's your push shcok compared to the dpx2. Still not sure why everyone says the fox 36 2021 feals soo Bad. All the tech with negative air tunes and lighter shim stack should Make it super plush. Has anyone pulled it apart to see if fox has sorted out there over greasing. They normally put so much grease on the air piston that it reduced the negative air chamber significantly.
    when I first got mine, I stripped it apart, wiped off all the slick honey cleaned it with alcohol and regreased it while installing the Luftkappe. I'm not sure why it's so different. I won't say that it's bad though, just different. It has a lot of mid stroke support at a fairly low pressure, but the small bump compliance isn't nearly as good at my older fork even after some heavy bracketing sessions. I'm not getting the full travel out of it either and if I drop the pressure and add spacers, it (predictably) sits further in its travel, I lose the mid-stroke support but do gain some small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_4656.jpg

Build done, first real ride today. This thing rips!

@MantanaB6 Sizing is different from the Offering, but the suspension is just better. I even had a Vorsprung tuned coil on the Evil, this beat that with the stock shock at a random amount of air and go!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Name:	IMG_4656.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	465.3 KB 
ID:	1345003

Build done, first real ride today. This thing rips!

@MantanaB6 Sizing is different from the Offering, but the suspension is just better. I even had a Vorsprung tuned coil on the Evil, this beat that with the stock shock at a random amount of air and go!
    better how? plush, poppy monster truck, haha all of the above?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    better how? plush, poppy monster truck, haha all of the above?
    Yes to those words! But really the Evil jumped well and was plenty poppy, and it pedaled well. It just lost it going fast it steep chunky stuff. I'd get bounced off line all the time. Today I rode in Port Angeles, some of the best natural downhill around, and while the druid was plenty poppy and pedaled well, it would take the steep chunky stuff so well!

I am curious how many spacers people are running to offset their lower guide? I've got one thick washer and one thin one and I'm still flexing the rear wheel into it. Anyone just done away with it completely?

mtbr member
    Yes to those words! But really the Evil jumped well and was plenty poppy, and it pedaled well. It just lost it going fast it steep chunky stuff. I'd get bounced off line all the time. Today I rode in Port Angeles, some of the best natural downhill around, and while the druid was plenty poppy and pedaled well, it would take the steep chunky stuff so well!

I am curious how many spacers people are running to offset their lower guide? I've got one thick washer and one thin one and I'm still flexing the rear wheel into it. Anyone just done away with it completely?
    do you think you would notice a difference if you had a bigger travel druid?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onawave View Post
    Definitely felt it when I didn't make it all the way to a transition or landed flat, but I'm not sure that another 20mm of travel would be a huge improvement. What I would notice is the slacker head angle and longer wheelbase that a bigger bike usually comes with. And I wouldn't always notice it in a positive way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi all,
    I understand the 126 links Sram Eagle chain will be enough for my M size frame with a 32T chainring and Eagle 50T cog. But due to supply, if i am only able to get the newer 52T Eagle and 34T chain ring, I will need more than the recommended 126 links chain for my M size frame?
    Anyone here tried on the new Sram 52T eagle with a 34T chain ring?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the same problem flexing rear wheels into the lower chain guide pulley. I've tried three different rear wheels. Started with the Zipp 3Zero Moto wheel...way too much flex. I was really disappointed that rim didn't jive well. I've settled with the Crank Bros
    Synthesis wheel. But I have it dished a few extra millimeters to the left to minimize the rub during harder accelerations. I have also found better luck with a more narrow 2.3" width tire like the Maxxis Minion SS. I feel that this is somewhat of a design oversight on Forbidden's part. You can't really space out the chain guide further away from the rear tire, because you will then loose the efficient chain alignment between the chainring and the upper pulley. They should have gone with a wider BB like you find on a DH bike where there is no issue with tire rub on a chain guide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjtreglia View Post
    I have the same problem flexing rear wheels into the lower chain guide pulley. I've tried three different rear wheels. Started with the Zipp 3Zero Moto wheel...way too much flex. I was really disappointed that rim didn't jive well. I've settled with the Crank Bros
    Synthesis wheel. But I have it dished a few extra millimeters to the left to minimize the rub during harder accelerations. I have also found better luck with a more narrow 2.3" width tire like the Maxxis Minion SS. I feel that this is somewhat of a design oversight on Forbidden's part. You can't really space out the chain guide further away from the rear tire, because you will then loose the efficient chain alignment between the chainring and the upper pulley. They should have gone with a wider BB like you find on a DH bike where there is no issue with tire rub on a chain guide.
    The lower guide? Have you tried just running without it?
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    Running We Are One 27 id Insiders with a 2.4 DHR2 on the rear. 185 out of the shower. I have experienced zero issues along the lines you have described. I believe I have read/seen every review out there and have not heard of this issue. Then again, most of the reviews were running the Druid with We Are One wheelsets. How heavy are you?

Man - I hope we are not in for another Yeti-gate...where is Streetdoctor?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member

How is the sizing different? I agree a bit about the Offering getting bucked a bit in high speed chunder, however I definitely had the DPX2 set up with a little more (probably too much) compression damping for better pedaling support (thing pedaled like a damn XC bike) and extra poppy feel. I hadn't had many rides prior to the bike getting stolen to really dive into the shock setup for the mix of trails I ride around Portland.

The question is, is it worth waiting till early August for Fanatik to get frames in stock? I may be able to borrow a buddies bike, but a month is a tall ask. If you live in the Port Angeles area, I might be going up there for work next week. Would love to check out your whip if possible! Seeing one in the flesh may sway my decision one way or the other.
    Evil Offering - Stolen!!!
    New Bike TBD

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Running We Are One 27 id Insiders with a 2.4 DHR2 on the rear. 185 out of the shower. I have experienced zero issues along the lines you have described. I believe I have read/seen every review out there and have not heard of this issue. Then again, most of the reviews were running the Druid with We Are One wheelsets. How heavy are you?

Probably a coverup and why they are pushing the ziggy link. Solution to problem=smaller wheels!

I'm running WAO Agents professionally built by Fanatik with not superlight spokes, so it's not flexy wheels. And I weigh about 175-180 depending on tacos. I am running a 2.5 Aggressor. Figured that Forbidden saying 2.4's and some 2.6's meant I could get away with a Maxxis 2.5 considering their tires are tiny. And clearance is good everywhere else. It's only during hard cornering or sprinting. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, its not like I'm grinding away on my $3,500 frame. And my next tire will be a 2.4.

How is the sizing different? I agree a bit about the Offering getting bucked a bit in high speed chunder, however I definitely had the DPX2 set up with a little more (probably too much) compression damping for better pedaling support (thing pedaled like a damn XC bike) and extra poppy feel. I hadn't had many rides prior to the bike getting stolen to really dive into the shock setup for the mix of trails I ride around Portland.

The question is, is it worth waiting till early August for Fanatik to get frames in stock? I may be able to borrow a buddies bike, but a month is a tall ask. If you live in the Port Angeles area, I might be going up there for work next week. Would love to check out your whip if possible! Seeing one in the flesh may sway my decision one way or the other.
    It just feels smaller than I thought the numbers would suggest going from medium to medium. I'm pretty happy with it, I have to move around less I feel like. My current stack is also a lot higher than I had it on the Offering so thats probably contributing to the change.

As to waiting, I've spent time on Santa Cruz, Canfield, Transition, and Evil in the last five years and I like it more than all those except maybe the Canfield. I really loved my Balance. But they don't have a 29er going right now. But if I couldn't wait, I'd try to test a Revel? I live in Port Townsend. I work during the day but if you swung by around five you could for sure check it out! There is a good short up and back trail here thats got a little of everything.

high pivot witchcraft
    Probably a coverup and why they are pushing the ziggy link. Solution to problem=smaller wheels!

I'm running WAO Agents professionally built by Fanatik with not superlight spokes, so it's not flexy wheels. And I weigh about 175-180 depending on tacos. I am running a 2.5 Aggressor. Figured that Forbidden saying 2.4's and some 2.6's meant I could get away with a Maxxis 2.5 considering their tires are tiny. And clearance is good everywhere else. It's only during hard cornering or sprinting. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, its not like I'm grinding away on my $3,500 frame. And my next tire will be a 2.4...
    LOL re the Ziggy!!!

I have Agents on my Honzo. Both my Insider and Agent wheelsets were built by We Are One. This is the first I have heard of anything from We Are One resulting in anything rubbing. Even in the long Yeti thread, I don't believe there was a single instance of flex/rub with WAOs. I'm not even sure if there was a single instance with anything carbon. The issues there seemed to be with guys who refused to run anything other than alloy rims.

I am in the midst of torrential downpours but when I get out later this week, I will try my best to flex my rear wheel. I doubt I can.

As an aside, my 2.5 Aggressor on my Honzo is significantly beefier than the 2.4 DHR2 on my Druid. Maybe if I was running the 2.5 Aggressor on the Druid I would notice flex/rub. No way of knowing.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    LOL re the Ziggy!!!

I have Agents on my Honzo. Both my Insider and Agent wheelsets were built by We Are One. This is the first I have heard of anything from We Are One resulting in anything rubbing. Even in the long Yeti thread, I don't believe there was a single instance of flex/rub with WAOs. I'm not even sure if there was a single instance with anything carbon. The issues there seemed to be with guys who refused to run anything other than alloy rims.

I am in the midst of torrential downpours but when I get out later this week, I will try my best to flex my rear wheel. I doubt I can.

As an aside, my 2.5 Aggressor on my Honzo is significantly beefier than the 2.4 DHR2 on my Druid. Maybe if I was running the 2.5 Aggressor on the Druid I would notice flex/rub. No way of knowing.
    How do you like the WAO wheelset?

This is high on my "id really like to have this on my next bike" list......

high pivot witchcraft
    How do you like the WAO wheelset?

This is high on my "id really like to have this on my next bike" list......
    Exceptional. Both sets.

The Insiders are slightly blinged out. DT 240 hubs and cx-ray spokes. Or whatever they are called.

The Agents are less bling - DT 350s.

Iím running both with 36 tooth star ratchets (up from the stock 18 tooth).

Rock solid so far. The Agents are put through hell on my hard tail. I smash through shit with those with zero Fs given.

I did pooch the bearings on the front hub of my Insiders but thatís not We Are Oneís fault.

Dustin is a good dude. Heís generally accessible, patient and he has solid street cred from his former DH days with Giant. I have had nothing but positive purchase experiences with those guys.

Plus a Dustin and Jordan of We Are One both rock Druids.

Whatís not to like?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    LOL re the Ziggy!!!

I mean, all traditional wheels flex. I don't think mine flex any more than a stiff rim, well built with good spokes and hubs (I9) should. Its more that combining wheel flex, swingarm flex, and BB flex are pushing the tire into something attached to the front triangle. Maybe my pivots need going over, I've torqued everything to spec but haven't checked for wear. Obviously its not a huge problem and I am running a tire over what Forbidden recommends. It measures 2.44" to the outside of the cornering knobs at 25 psi. I'm going to live with it for now, rear tires don't last long and I'll switch when its worn. And for sure give it a shot! Its only when sprinting hard and pressing down with the right leg or in a hard left turn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anyone try an EXT Storia V3? I've ran one before on my other bike. I'm curious how close they got the tune since these bikes.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    LOL re the Ziggy!!!
    ... Even in the long Yeti thread, I don't believe there was a single instance of flex/rub with WAOs. I'm not even sure if there was a single instance with anything carbon. The issues there seemed to be with guys who refused to run anything other than alloy rims.
    I get rub on my SB6 and SB150 with carbon rims. I just don't make a big deal about it. I have no complaints about the suspension design of theirs, but I'm not a fan of some of the other choices they've made in their bike designs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So I've tried the Zipp 3Zero Moto, DT Swiss EX 471, and the Crank Bros Synthesis rear wheels. For me, all three have flexed enough to get a buzz on the lower pulley of the chain guide during hard accelerations and hard cornering. The Synthesis has been the least amount of flex. All three wheels I have dished a few millimeters further to the left. All the wheels have properly tensioned spokes. The rear end of my Druid is solid. I normally run a Michelin Wild Rock'R2 2.35 tire, but I have the Maxxis Minion SS currently mounted. I weigh 180 lbs geared up; and I normally ride pretty darn aggressive. I have over 20 years of riding/racing scars to show for it. lol. I think running the 27.5 setup on the rear would probably solve this issue. It's not a huge issue for me, but it is somewhat annoying. I do love my Druid. High pivot bikes are the best performers IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    So I've tried the Zipp 3Zero Moto, DT Swiss EX 471, and the Crank Bros Synthesis rear wheels. For me, all three have flexed enough to get a buzz on the lower pulley of the chain guide during hard accelerations and hard cornering. The Synthesis has been the least amount of flex. All three wheels I have dished a few millimeters further to the left. All the wheels have properly tensioned spokes. The rear end of my Druid is solid. I normally run a Michelin Wild Rock'R2 2.35 tire, but I have the Maxxis Minion SS currently mounted. I weigh 180 lbs geared up; and I normally ride pretty darn aggressive. I have over 20 years of riding/racing scars to show for it. lol. I think running the 27.5 setup on the rear would probably solve this issue. It's not a huge issue for me, but it is somewhat annoying. I do love my Druid. High pivot bikes are the best performers IMHO.
    We are talking the e thirteen chain guide pully? If so can't you rotate the whole thing clock wise to eb closer to the chain stay. May have to add a couple chain links as it will add tention too chain.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am now on my 14th month on the Druid just clicking over 2400 miles. During this time my experience was on a Maxxis 2.3 Aggressor in the rear. In my opinion, any tire above 2.3 you run the risk of buzzing the lower guide with either wheel or tire deflection. Take a gander down at the clearance. I have two aluminum wheels I ran with a Rimpact insert. One would buzz the guide and one would not.Things that help:

Stiff aluminum rim
    More spokes
    Dishing wheel
    Carbon rim
    Tire insert
    Ziggy Link
    Any combination of above

More Drastic Measures (None of which I would consider)

Lite Beer
    Pizza only once/week
    Stopping TRT
    No turning
    680mm Bars AKA no turning

Just as most folks don't notice their fork's poor performance. Many will not feel the subtle buzz of the lower guide. To put this into perspective, it was only happening 2-3 times on my 2 hour technical ride. J

PS: As always, your results may vary

high pivot witchcraft
    One other thing I will add.

I recently switched to the V2 link. It may be my imagination (and it likely is) but the rear end of the Druid now feels tighter to me. My whole bike felt better immediately after.

Likely placebo but I will throw that out there.

For me, 185 plus gear, 2.4 DHR2 and no noticeable rub. Maybe itís happening and I just donít notice it.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    One other thing I will add.

I recently switched to the V2 link. It may be my imagination (and it likely is) but the rear end of the Druid now feels tighter to me. My whole bike felt better immediately after.

Likely placebo but I will throw that out there.

For me, 185 plus gear, 2.4 DHR2 and no noticeable rub. Maybe itís happening and I just donít notice it.
    Good point,

I am now running the Ziggy with the V2 hardware. I am fairly sure the rub I had was on V1 hardware. Once I switch back to 29" I'll rerun the same scenario and report back . J

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The V2 hardware now has the threads machined into link which may make a difference. J

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just finished up my 4th ride on XT Druid. The idler pulley already has a lot of side to side play. This normal? Didn't check the play when I first got it. Seems excessive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    It should have pretty minimal play. Mine has 500 miles and probably 0.5mm slop side to side.

Two things to double check:

Is it torqued to 10 nm?

Is the washer in place behind the pulley? Mine somehow shipped without this piece, but I noticed before I rode it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Threw a Schwable 2.6 x 27.5 Nobby Nic on the back of my Ziggy Linked bike. No issues. J

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Just heading back from a nice gentlemanly rip in Canmore. No issues. But it also dawned on me mid ride that very likely, you guys are pushing this bike more than I am. That said, man did I have a blast today. This is day 1 of a triple header before the rain comes Sunday. Canít wait for tomorrow. And Saturday. Love this bike. I now have it 100% dialled.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0171.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    Just heading back from a nice gentlemanly rip in Canmore. No issues. But it also dawned on me mid ride that very likely, you guys are pushing this bike more than I am. That said, man did I have a blast today. This is day 1 of a triple header before the rain comes Sunday. Canít wait for tomorrow. And Saturday. Love this bike. I now have it 100% dialled.

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	1346003
    You should hit up the Husky Road / Prairie Mountain area. The dirt is PRIMO. We rode Loamzilla last night, and it was an absolute delight.

high pivot witchcraft
    You should hit up the Husky Road / Prairie Mountain area. The dirt is PRIMO. We rode Loamzilla last night, and it was an absolute delight.
    It's funny you mention that.

My text to an old riding buddy at 11:14 pm last night:

"Let me know if you when you and your crew plan to hit Husky Road next. I want to hit Loamzilla and Pistolero and a shit load of other stuff in there but I don't know the area well enough to be doing solos."

My first ride ever on the Druid was with that crew last year - I posted above somewhere about it. Family Guy --> SHAFT, then Husky Road --> Loamzilla.

I understand that there is a ride-around now for that sketch rock face on Loamzilla. I haven't been there since that was put in place.

I wish the Husky Road stuff was on TrailForks. I would feel a lot better about hitting it solo.

I also want to hit Razor's this summer. It's been a long time since I rocked that bad boy. I understand that there have been some significant improvements to it. I drive by it lots on the way to Canmore and think about it every time I pass the 2 little parking areas.

Now that I am in work from home mode, I REALLY need to ramp things up to where I was in 2015 - I rode for something like 37 days in a row in 2015. I need to start getting out for daily solo rides.

I have been riding a lot with my daughter. I love spending time with her and teaching her all I know on the trail, but I need to supplement that a lot more with some serious, balls to the wall riding.

A buddy of mine just bought a place in Golden too. I am headed out there for a couple of weekends to hit 7 with him. Dead Dog!!!

Last evening I committed to my GF and my daughter that I was going to ramp things up and make 2020 a season like I had in 2015, which was fn epic (Calgary and area, Fernie, Golden, Revy, Cumby Whistler, Moab, St. George, Hurricane, and on and on and on). Obviously I won't be able to travel as much, but thankfully we have all we need right in our backyard. I just hope I can keep the cramping in check...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    As it is quite difficult to demo one of these bikes I need to make some comparisons or see what people think of it on trails I know. I've just spent a week in fernie bc, unfortunately only 3days of it has been any good for riding. Has anyone riden the trails around here on their druid, ild love to know what trails and how the bike went. For example I have a 180mm travel canyon torque and on rooty stuff like verboten, I can just stay off the brakes through all the chunky stuff. Would be good too see what the druid does in that kind of terrain.

high pivot witchcraft
    As it is quite difficult to demo one of these bikes I need to make some comparisons or see what people think of it on trails I know. I've just spent a week in fernie bc, unfortunately only 3days of it has been any good for riding. Has anyone riden the trails around here on their druid, ild love to know what trails and how the bike went. For example I have a 180mm travel canyon torque and on rooty stuff like verboten, I can just stay off the brakes through all the chunky stuff. Would be good too see what the druid does in that kind of terrain.
    Ridden Fernie a bunch of times with my Druid, including Verboten. Iím down there quite a bit as it is within striking distance of me (3 hours). All of my riding impressions in my countless posts above are based on riding in Fernie, and similar riding conditions (although as a general statement, the Fernie trails are buff AF - they manage to keep most of them manicured - I am sure you witnessed evidence of the significant degree of trail maintenance they have going on there).

What other trails did you hit there?

Not a lot of/any Canyons in this neck of the woods. Did you see even one other while you were there?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I agree, they are well maintained but there are still some nice spicy tech bits. If it floats through some of the gnarly stuff around here then I'm sold, especially considering it's only a 130mm bike

high pivot witchcraft
    I agree, they are well maintained but there are still some nice spicy tech bits. If it floats through some of the gnarly stuff around here then I'm sold, especially considering it's only a 130mm bike
    This is a fun thing to do next time you are there:

https://www.ferniebrewing.com/trail-ale#

Iím heading out shortly to do a ripper before it closes July 10 - Minnewanka:

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/minnewanka/

The Druid is equally at home on up and down and all around rippers, as it is on the typical up, up, up, down, down, down more gnarly kinda rides. Hitting something much less flowy tomorrow. I will report back then.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Haha yea I seen that, sounds like a mission.
    Is there any trails that give the druid a hard time in fernie?
    Might be a better question

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Haha yea I seen that, sounds like a mission.
    Is there any trails that give the druid a hard time in fernie?
    Might be a better question
    Just looked at TrailForks. While I have yet to ride any of the double blacks or pro lines in Fernie with the Druid (there aren't many, and even less worth riding IMHO), I HAVE ridden a whack of the blacks. There was nothing I rode where I was wishing for a different bike. I have been amazed with the Druid (in a good way) on every ride.

Here it is, pre 11-6, in all its glory on Hyper V (which I assume you hit, given that it's a classic)...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0198.jpg

EDIT: I would not want to have the Druid doing the chair assisted riding at the hill. I am sure it can handle it but I would be worried about beating it up unnecessarily. Thatís about the only limit I can think of.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    Just rode Special K, and I think the Druid is definitely ready for trails like AM and AP. There is no way I acquired bike skills over the winter, so it must be the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Just looked at TrailForks. While I have yet to ride any of the double blacks or pro lines in Fernie with the Druid (there aren't many, and even less worth riding IMHO), I HAVE ridden a whack of the blacks. There was nothing I rode where I was wishing for a different bike. I have been amazed with the Druid (in a good way) on every ride.

Here it is, pre 11-6, in all its glory on Hyper V (which I assume you hit, given that it's a classic)...

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	276.6 KB 
ID:	1346613

EDIT: I would not want to have the Druid doing the chair assisted riding at the hill. I am sure it can handle it but I would be worried about beating it up unnecessarily. Thatís about the only limit I can think of.
    Yea I done hyper ventilation last time in the wet. Don't really recall it being technical at all? Could just be my memory though.
    I rode the resort a few times and only a couple trails up there are chunky, but from what I've read about this bike it should be able to handle it. Especially if it's going to be an EWS bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What do you ride / are planning to ride in Tassie? It sounds like you're really worried about stepping down from the SB150 to the Druid but do you actually need the extra travel?

I was riding my Druid in North Van / Squamish etc on way harder trails than we have in Australia before moving back recently and it never skipped a beat. I just can't imagine needing the bigger version for anything we have here. The Druid already feels long to me so going to a 63.5 degree HA is going to make it a burly plow bike.

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

The Druid will definitely do park. Itís just that with a dedicated DH sled sitting in my garage, not sure I want it taking the abuse.

https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide...en/Druid,27121

ďWe have always been drawn to short travel bikes with a gravity bias, so we reached out to our friends in Cumberland, BC to get ourselves the Druid for a few months of riding in Squamish, BC..."
    "...we never felt the need to use the compression lever on the shock to help with efficiency and very few can match its technical climbing prowess..."

"Regardless of what section we rode and how we rode it, the Druid was planted and confidence-inspiring when we dropped our heels, and poppy and playful when we jibbed about. On the shorter punchy bits, the lack of pedal feedback meant we could put power to the ground easily without blowing our feet off, and the shorter-than-usual travel meant we could climb far more efficiently than the enduro bikes that tend to frequent the trail most of the time..."

"Regardless of feeling a little badly about dragging a 130mm bike up the chairlift, the Druid took rougher trails in stride and was an absolute rocket ship on trails like Ninja Cougar. After being so fun on the rolling, playful trails in Squamish we were impressed that the Druid also felt planted and composed on such high-speed, abusive trails."

"The Druid makes a strong case as the pound-for-pound most capable bike we have thrown a leg over. It is energetic and nimble at lower speeds, and as the speeds and terrain get more demanding, the bike lengthens and settles into itself. Forbidden has created an extremely versatile bike, and the Druid confirms that the idler excels in applications other than just DH bikes. In a place like the Sea to Sky corridor, the terrain is intimidating enough that many folks rely on a long-travel bike for the handful of gnarly bits within a given ride, but a shorter travel bike like the Druid is capable enough to absorb the heavy impacts, and much more fun everywhere in between."

"...short travel ďdowncountryĒ bikes do not inspire the same confidence, nor can they withstand the abuse in a place like Squamish. The Forbidden Druid is truly a downhillerís trail bike: capable enough for reckless abandon, efficient enough that a recreational cross-country race is not out of the question and playful enough that mellower trails are still engaging. The Trifecta suspension design is proof that the high idler concept is effective and efficient in places other than the downhill track, and we would bet our bottom dollar that a race-oriented 160mm Forbidden offering would be an absolute weapon. The Druid is a great option for anyone but is best suited to those looking for a mini-DH bike that will allow them to climb efficiently and descend like hooligans."

From earlier today...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0239.jpg

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0240.jpg

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_0241.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Gloworm - agreed on all fronts. The bike is magical. I could not possibly ask for anything more. This is the third creation of Owen Pemberton I have owned. The dude hit it straight out of the park on this one.

PS - just noticed now that you are running your shock at 245 psi. I am 185 lbs out of the shower (so a fair amount lighter than you) and run mine at 195 psi. I run my 36 fork at 72.5 psi with 1 token. Smoooooth AF.
    Whatís your Fox 36 damper settings. Iím close in weight at 178 out of the shower, 188 geared up. I just took a token out and it feels better, but am at 87 psi. Trying to get plusher without diving and bottoming on medium drops and features. Also running a Push ElevenSix R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Energ8t View Post
    Whatís your Fox 36 damper settings. Iím close in weight at 178 out of the shower, 188 geared up. I just took a token out and it feels better, but am at 87 psi. Trying to get plusher without diving and bottoming on medium drops and features. Also running a Push ElevenSix R.

It says FIT4 on the fork, but I replaced that with a GRIP2. Also running a Luftkappe, which is roughly equal to 1 token.

I will post the settings tomorrow. I have no idea what they are at the moment. I believe PSI is at 85 though. Or 87. I can't remember. I will confirm and post tomorrow.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Hi all, apologies if it's been covered before, but I'm looking for some intel on dropper length. My Druid (L) is on order and I can pick between a 160 or a 185 bike yoke post. Would obviously like the longer one, as long as I can pedal it when it's slammed. I'm 5'10" and the frame's a large, so I kinda feel like a 160 might be best fit - anyone of similar height got experience on a Large with a bike yoke (or any other). Cheers

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by kit_nz View Post
    Hi all, apologies if it's been covered before, but I'm looking for some intel on dropper length. My Druid (L) is on order and I can pick between a 160 or a 185 bike yoke post. Would obviously like the longer one, as long as I can pedal it when it's slammed. I'm 5'10" and the frame's a large, so I kinda feel like a 160 might be best fit - anyone of similar height got experience on a Large with a bike yoke (or any other). Cheers
    I have a large, I'm 5'10", and I run a 210mm OneUp dropper.

mtbr member
    It says FIT4 on the fork, but I replaced that with a GRIP2. Also running a Luftkappe, which is roughly equal to 1 token.

I will post the settings tomorrow. I have no idea what they are at the moment. I believe PSI is at 85 though. Or 87. I can't remember. I will confirm and post tomorrow.
    Ah, yes, I should have mentioned: Mine is 150 2021 36 Grip 2. Has a 17% larger negative spring than previous. So is not quite apples to apples. I do get the inkling to throw a Smashpot or ACS3 in the fork to better match the rear. But for now will tweak away to find the best match as is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I have a large, I'm 5'10", and I run a 210mm OneUp dropper.
    Nice one, cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I've got a Large with PNW bachelor 200mm travel and it sits about an inch and a half or so above the collar. You could definitely slam the 180.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So i have two+ weeks of riding my new xt druid in the north shore and squamish. I am still trying to get my fork dialed, but it's much better than it was. I followed the suggestions made above (thank you), but I'm still messing with pressure and tokens.

Couple questions:

is anyone running their 36 at 160mm? thoughts?

anyone running the Ziggy mullet setup? thoughts??

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So i have two+ weeks of riding my new xt druid in the north shore and squamish. I am still trying to get my fork dialed, but it's much better than it was. I followed the suggestions made above (thank you), but I'm still messing with pressure and tokens.

Couple questions:

I'm running a 36 at 160. It was at that setting on the last bike and I didn't feel like switching the Luffkauppe to the shorter airshaft so threw it on. It seems great so far and I don't plan on changing it! Granted, I don't have any time on the bike with a 150.
    I think more than the travel for me its the added stack, between that and 35mm rise bars this is by far the tallest stack I have ever had on any bike, I'm really digging the riding position for steep stuff. And as to fork woes, I had my Fit4 damper tuned by Vorsprung years ago and between that and the Luftkauppe, have never looked back. It just works! Super supportive and predictable pushing it and I only really notice it anymore when I make a stupid mistake and it eats a big hit in the most amazing way. I think of it like getting a Push or EXT shock, they aren't doing anything secret or groundbreaking, just tuning the damper to you and your riding very closely. And for me thats always going to be better than a damper with a wide range of adjustability. The Fit4's go by really cheap because people are upgrading to the Grip2.

I'm staring at a Ziggy link right now, waiting for the hub to show up so I can lace a rim I had laying around up and give it a try. Excited to experiment!

Also been wondering if anyone has long shocked this bike yet?

mtbr member

Couple questions:

I have the same bike is size large. Iím only running 150, but do note that Forbidden states that running above 150 voids the warranty, FYI. Definitely find that a bit surprising, but so be it.

The fork definitely felt firm at recommended Fox settings and using stock two tokens for my weight . Still fiddling with settings but am aware that my previous coiled fork is probably messing with my head somewhat. Probably will coil again at some point when parts are available.

Just curious, is your stock RaceFace Aeffect post super stiff at the lever? Mine is horrendously hard to activate. Going to try to warranty with RaceFace, but will likely dump that crap for a real post like a Bike Yoke or a Transfer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I have the same bike is size large. Iím only running 150, but do note that Forbidden states that running above 150 voids the warranty, FYI. Definitely find that a bit surprising, but so be it.

The fork definitely felt firm at recommended Fox settings and using stock two tokens for my weight . Still fiddling with settings but am aware that my previous coiled fork is probably messing with my head somewhat. Probably will coil again at some point when parts are available.

Just curious, is your stock RaceFace Aeffect post super stiff at the lever? Mine is horrendously hard to activate. Going to try to warranty with RaceFace, but will likely dump that crap for a real post like a Bike Yoke or a Transfer.

It almost sounds like your post cable is pinching so where? If you lose the seat post clamp and raise the seat post, Can you move the cable housing through the frame

mtbr member
    It almost sounds like your post cable is pinching so where? If you lose the seat post clamp and raise the seat post, Can you move the cable housing through the frame
    Already took it apart, checked the cable without the post hooked up. Cable was smooth as butter. Only stiff when connected to post. Nothing over tightened, everything torqued properly. Comparing it to a 2 year old Transfer with Wolf Tooth lever which was very light action. Aeffect post also already feels sticky and doesn't slide smooth. Only 10 rides on it. Reminds me of my old PNW Bachelor which also had the exact same problem (with sticky sliding). Everything else is pretty spot-on.

Only nuisance is getting ARC rims to seal completely with sealant. Air seems to leak through sidewall. (Not the tape. Checked and retaped. Done this a million times before). Starting to hold air better, but had to add sealant a few times at high pressure (50 psi) and going through every possible angle like the Kama Sutra.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

My dropper lever is super stiff just like the grip2 fork. Both killing my hands. Fork been major disappointment. High speed dampening is terrible. Dropper just annoying like dropper cable rattling

mtbr member
    My dropper lever is super stiff just like the grip2 fork. Both killing my hands. Fork been major disappointment. High speed dampening is terrible. Dropper just annoying like dropper cable rattling

Wow, that's a disappointment. Sounding like the post is as bad as I thought. It's downright near dangerous. I've had a few close calls where the lever was so stiff, my finger slipped off trying to activate or it wouldn't slide down fast enough (sticky). Damn near got bucked on some jumps with seat still up. Yikes

Also working on the hard to reach cable housing rattling over medium bumps. Going to require some deep multi-hour "surgery" to fix that problem properly. I have a rather OCD-like need to have zero rattling on my bikes. Noise equals something not working or coming apart. Noises that shouldn't be there (rattling cables) muffle potential problems elsewhere. I can deal with loose cables as much as I shouldn't need to. Buying a new seatpost to replace a new one is a bit of a bummer.

Not sure why fork is so stiff feeling out of the gate for so many. I added ESI Chunky grips to improve comfort. I need to put it through a thorough adjustment bracketing on various terrain before I make any final judgements. That said... Smashpot may be on the horizon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Wow, that's a disappointment. Sounding like the post is as bad as I thought. It's downright near dangerous. I've had a few close calls where the lever was so stiff, my finger slipped off trying to activate or it wouldn't slide down fast enough (sticky). Damn near got bucked on some jumps with seat still up. Yikes

Also working on the hard to reach cable housing rattling over medium bumps. Going to require some deep multi-hour "surgery" to fix that problem properly. I have a rather OCD-like need to have zero rattling on my bikes. Noise equals something not working or coming apart. Noises that shouldn't be there (rattling cables) muffle potential problems elsewhere. I can deal with loose cables as much as I shouldn't need to. Buying a new seatpost to replace a new one is a bit of a bummer.

Not sure why fork is so stiff feeling out of the gate for so many. I added ESI Chunky grips to improve comfort. I need to put it through a thorough adjustment bracketing on various terrain before I make any final judgements. That said... Smashpot may be on the horizon.

I'm right there with you! 100% keep me updated on fork if you see any improvements or solution to cable rattle. I don't feel like tearing into brand new fork and spending another $150 either but seems it's headed that way. Dropper is somewhat expected for being cheap raceface stuff. Other bike has a bikeyoke

mtbr member
    I'm right there with you! 100% keep me updated on fork if you see any improvements or solution to cable rattle. I don't feel like tearing into brand new fork and spending another $150 either but seems it's headed that way. Dropper is somewhat expected for being cheap raceface stuff. Other bike has a bikeyoke

Yeah, I'll update.
    I don't fault Forbidden so much for cutting costs on certain components. Overall it's a sick-riding boutique bike with high-value package. Seatpost was the only lemon for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Yeah, I'll update.
    I don't fault Forbidden so much for cutting costs on certain components. Overall it's a sick-riding boutique bike with high-value package. Seatpost was the only lemon for me.

Man th 2021 fork was one of the main reasons I was going to get the xt over the slx. May he better to get the slx and throw a few upgrades in straight away.
    Like coil the fork chuck the last generation of grip2 in it. I've got brakes and cockpit that I'm swapping out anyway. Should even have a few $ towards a coil out back then.

mtbr member
    Man th 2021 fork was one of the main reasons I was going to get the xt over the slx. May he better to get the slx and throw a few upgrades in straight away.
    Like coil the fork chuck the last generation of grip2 in it. I've got brakes and cockpit that I'm swapping out anyway. Should even have a few $ towards a coil out back then.
    Yeah, I don't want to seed any misinformation regarding the 2021 36. I have not had a Fox 36 before and my last fork was a coiled Pike. It could simply be getting the settings on the 2021 correct for one's riding style. My last few rides have felt better than out of the box, but that's to be expected. Some riders are stoked once the get the settings right. Between the SLX and XT, I'd happily ride either the Bomber or the 36. Both tunable and upgradable.

The XT model has some good components too, like full XT, 4 pot disc and Dt Swiss 350 which I've already upgraded the 54 tooth ratchet. I added a Push ElevenSix but not due to poor performance of the DPX2. Almost perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    For those of you that have gone coil in the back, what are your thoughts? Has it put this bike on another level?

With my currant dpx2 it had been great for flow trails and mild tech.
    But lately I am finding I am getting beat up on the rough trails. I recently installed cushcore, and it has helped dampen the trail some.
    Iím finding the bike just canít handle the repeated hits to keep my speed up before a feature.

Iím located the BC interior, so there are some rough trails. I ride these same trails on my Levo SL @150 travel front/rear and this bike eats everything for lunch.
    I keep reading that the Druid rides like a much bigger bike.

Iím leaning on getting a EXT storia, maybe this would help?
    or save the money and get a different bike.

Thoughts on a rear coil?
    Thanks

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmag76 View Post
    For those of you that have gone coil in the back, what are your thoughts? Has it put this bike on another level?

With my currant dpx2 it had been great for flow trails and mild tech.
    But lately I am finding I am getting beat up on the rough trails. I recently installed cushcore, and it has helped dampen the trail some.
    Iím finding the bike just canít handle the repeated hits to keep my speed up before a feature.

Iím located the BC interior, so there are some rough trails. I ride these same trails on my Levo SL @150 travel front/rear and this bike eats everything for lunch.
    I keep reading that the Druid rides like a much bigger bike.

Iím leaning on getting a EXT storia, maybe this would help?
    or save the money and get a different bike.

Thoughts on a rear coil?
    Thanks

I am still tinkering with the settings of my 11-6 but I would not say I have gained much, if anything, with respect to what you are talking about (smoothing out repeated high speed hits). The DPX2 was very nicely speced for that. Then again, I remain concerned that I should be on a 425 lb spring and not a 450. Maybe that would add a bit of plushness.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeah you might be right there with the spring situation. I have had 11-6 on both my offering and wreckoning, and they were great for the high speed hits.

I was just worried that 130mm of coil might not do to much.
    Anyways I pulled the trigger on the storia, this Am.
    So I will be able to report back if it improves the ride or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Yeah you might be right there with the spring situation. I have had 11-6 on both my offering and wreckoning, and they were great for the high speed hits.

I have a few friends that ride storia on differant bikes, and all of them say they can't go back to anything else. Looking forward to your ride report

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am still tinkering with the settings of my 11-6 but I would not say I have gained much, if anything, with respect to what you are talking about (smoothing out repeated high speed hits). The DPX2 was very nicely speced for that. Then again, I remain concerned that I should be on a 425 lb spring and not a 450. Maybe that would add a bit of plushness.
    Whats your riding weight? I'm 165-168lbs and I usually run 450-475 spring. I'm getting ready to put a coil on my Druid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hey so not only am I trying to dial my own fork, my partner just bought a new bike. It came with a 2020 Fox 36 Fit4. She weighs 125 and is super unhappy. I have been making adjustments after every ride and still she says: it's too harsh. last night, she added but the mid has good support. I spoke to a suspension guy I know. He said to cut the oil weight in half. So from 20w to 10w. Anyone try this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey so not only am I trying to dial my own fork, my partner just bought a new bike. It came with a 2020 Fox 36 Fit4. She weighs 125 and is super unhappy. I have been making adjustments after every ride and still she says: it's too harsh. last night, she added but the mid has good support. I spoke to a suspension guy I know. He said to cut the oil weight in half. So from 20w to 10w. Anyone try this?
    She is very light and the 36 is traditionally a stiffer fork. With the fit4 she could get the tractive tune from vorsprung and/or vorsprung luftkappe to make it super soft of the top. If you don't wana go down that road of spending money yet, you can always try lower the pressure and add a token.
    The oil thing will also help but not sure how noticeable it will be.
    Personally for me the luftkappe was a game changer

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Yeah, I don't want to seed any misinformation regarding the 2021 36. I have not had a Fox 36 before and my last fork was a coiled Pike. It could simply be getting the settings on the 2021 correct for one's riding style. My last few rides have felt better than out of the box, but that's to be expected. Some riders are stoked once the get the settings right. Between the SLX and XT, I'd happily ride either the Bomber or the 36. Both tunable and upgradable.

The XT model has some good components too, like full XT, 4 pot disc and Dt Swiss 350 which I've already upgraded the 54 tooth ratchet. I added a Push ElevenSix but not due to poor performance of the DPX2. Almost perfect.
    I feel like I've been lucky. My fork, dropper and rear shock have been excellent. I've ridden it on Cypress, Fromme, Seymour, Eagle and Squamish and it has felt great on all the trails. Fast and playful.

I haven't noticed any harsh bottom outs on the rear. I am running the PSI slightly less than my weight in lbs (160ish PSI for 165 - 170 lbs).

For fork I am running a little bit less air pressure than recommended on the fork. Feels excellent. I don't recall what any of my settings are but I've changed it to suite how I like forks to feel.

Dropper post was something I expected to maybe crap out, and it is still early days, but so far it feels excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2enemy View Post
    I feel like I've been lucky. My fork, dropper and rear shock have been excellent. I've ridden it on Cypress, Fromme, Seymour, Eagle and Squamish and it has felt great on all the trails. Fast and playful.

I haven't noticed any harsh bottom outs on the rear. I am running the PSI slightly less than my weight in lbs (160ish PSI for 165 - 170 lbs).

For fork I am running a little bit less air pressure than recommended on the fork. Feels excellent. I don't recall what any of my settings are but I've changed it to suite how I like forks to feel.

Dropper post was something I expected to maybe crap out, and it is still early days, but so far it feels excellent.
    Yeah it seems a bit less air and possibly removing a token will help dial it in a lot. Iím loving my ride, already better without perfected tuning on forks. Glad itís riding sharp.

mtbr member
    RE: Fox 36

Almost every Fox 36 I have gotten from the factory for the last 5 years has come with way too much slick-honey slathered all over the air shaft/negative air Eq port. First thing I do off the bat now with every Fox 36 is tear it down to check this and install a LuftKappe. Such a big difference IMHO.
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Off the back...
    My wife's bike has a 2020 36 150 GRIP2. She's 130#. The first thing I did was pull out a volume spacer [maybe all of them?]. After that, I set sag the old-fashioned way - having her sit on the bike. The air pressure is lower than recommended to get the sag right. Compression and rebound damping are close to factory recommendations for her weight. With those changes, she's getting full travel on most rides, something she struggled with on her previous fork, a Fox 34 FIT4.

Now, to your actual question! I've used everything from 0 to 40 weight oil in forks over the years, and it can make a difference to the feel. I had a DVO Emerald where I adjusted the shim stack and the suspension oil in the open-bath damper. I found that the stock damping was way too harsh, so I did everything I could to "lighten" the feel. It worked, and the epic arm pump and chatter over braking bumps generally went away. In contrast, the FIT4 uses a closed damping cartridge, so you would need to change the damper oil as opposed to the lubrication oil that sits in the legs. Totally doable, but servicing the damper is significantly more work than pulling the volume spacers out and lowering the air pressure. If you've already done that, then the damper oil change is definitely worth trying, or even sending the fork to somebody like Vorsprung for a full custom tune.

My $0.02, YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thought I'd give an update about running without the lower guide. I've been running without it for a few rides now and have no issues nor do I see any negatives at this point. I use the Druid as a daily trail bike and it sees a lot of climbing. Removing the lower guide improved shifting for me (smoother, quicker) and makes pedaling under load feel like less work (also much quieter). If you climb alot or are curious it's really easy and quick to remove so give it a try. Just make sure to remove the whole lower piece including the bash guard or else the chain slaps against it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kootenay rider View Post
    Thought I'd give an update about running without the lower guide. I've been running without it for a few rides now and have no issues nor do I see any negatives at this point. I use the Druid as a daily trail bike and it sees a lot of climbing. Removing the lower guide improved shifting for me (smoother, quicker) and makes pedaling under load feel like less work (also much quieter). If you climb alot or are curious it's really easy and quick to remove so give it a try. Just make sure to remove the whole lower piece including the bash guard or else the chain slaps against it.
    Mind posting a pic of your set up? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    RE: Fox 36

Almost every Fox 36 I have gotten from the factory for the last 5 years has come with way too much slick-honey slathered all over the air shaft/negative air Eq port. First thing I do off the bat now with every Fox 36 is tear it down to check this and install a LuftKappe. Such a big difference IMHO.
    Yeah, I contacted Vorsprung and the 2021 36 fork upgrades are still in development. Curious how a Luftkappe would look given the new 36 fork already has a 17% larger negative spring. Vorsprung would likely find room for improvement. I should tear the fork down and check the grease. Forgot to do that.

high pivot witchcraft
    My wife's bike has a 2020 36 150 GRIP2. She's 130#. The first thing I did was pull out a volume spacer [maybe all of them?]. After that, I set sag the old-fashioned way - having her sit on the bike. The air pressure is lower than recommended to get the sag right. Compression and rebound damping are close to factory recommendations for her weight. With those changes, she's getting full travel on most rides, something she struggled with on her previous fork, a Fox 34 FIT4.

Now, to your actual question! I've used everything from 0 to 40 weight oil in forks over the years, and it can make a difference to the feel. I had a DVO Emerald where I adjusted the shim stack and the suspension oil in the open-bath damper. I found that the stock damping was way too harsh, so I did everything I could to "lighten" the feel. It worked, and the epic arm pump and chatter over braking bumps generally went away. In contrast, the FIT4 uses a closed damping cartridge, so you would need to change the damper oil as opposed to the lubrication oil that sits in the legs. Totally doable, but servicing the damper is significantly more work than pulling the volume spacers out and lowering the air pressure. If you've already done that, then the damper oil change is definitely worth trying, or even sending the fork to somebody like Vorsprung for a full custom tune.

My $0.02, YMMV.
    Just to add to this, my stock 36 was a 2019 FIT4 140. I increased the travel to 150, changed the FIT4 damper to a 2019 GRIP2 and added a Luftkape.

The FIT4 was MUCH firmer in all respects than the current setup, regardless of button fiddling (which was more limited on the FIT4). But even the GRIP2 is a pretty firm feeling fork relative to its RockShox counterparts (IME).

One thing I would like to add is this...

With the Luftkappe, you lose some stack, or whatever you want to call it. The bike sits lower in the travel. This may place more pressure on your hands, depending on your cockpit setup.

Personally. I like a high stack.

I am still fiddling with my fork settings (and will try to post my current settings today). I think as a general comment, my experience is that Fox forks are not what i would call "plush". However, they remain my favorite fork for other reasons.

Finally, it has taken me a looooooooong time to understand suspension settings, and how to dial in a fork or shock, and I am still nowhere near what I would call proficient. I have access to free ShockWizes, and sometimes I have used them to get bikes in the ballpark (although that is no longer possible with the 11-6).

One thing I have learned - there does not seem to be any perfect suspension products. They all come with their unique pros and cons. Including the coil sprung products.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mind posting a pic of your set up? Thanks

Here's the setup - 30T Chain ring/50T Cassette - 126 links - Large frame

Sorry for the rotated pics - not sure why that happened?

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200709_091432-resize.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200709_091432-resize.jpg  

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

How much do you weigh? You should be able to get the fork feeling decent at high speed. IMO, the high speed small bump compliance isn't nearly as good as last years fork but it makes up for it with the mid stroke support that the 2020 lacked.

Just as a data point on a trail that you might be familiar with for context...I'm 215lb, run my fork at 68psi, 20 clicks of HSC, 11 LSC. I don't really do big jumps or hucks to flat but I do try to go fast. If you regularly ride and Sandy Ridge you'll know Two Turn Tables and Upper Hide n Seek. I regularly hit 28-29mph down sections of those trails according to my data.

If you have the tools and patience, pull the lowers off and check the air side. The factory install almost always has too much grease everywhere, including the balance port. Clean it up a bit and be more modest with the re-lube and you might find the fork behave much differently. Also, if you're in Portland and can't do this on your own, I can help you out, but it'll be a few weeks until I have enough free time (unless you have a Planex and can mow down my popcorn ceilings)

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    How much do you weigh? You should be able to get the fork feeling decent at high speed. IMO, the high speed small bump compliance isn't nearly as good as last years fork but it makes up for it with the mid stroke support that the 2020 lacked.

Just as a data point on a trail that you might be familiar with for context...I'm 215lb, run my fork at 68psi, 20 clicks of HSC, 11 LSC. I don't really do big jumps or hucks to flat but I do try to go fast. If you regularly ride and Sandy Ridge you'll know Two Turn Tables and Upper Hide n Seek. I regularly hit 28-29mph down sections of those trails according to my data.

If you have the tools and patience, pull the lowers off and check the air side. The factory install almost always has too much grease everywhere, including the balance port. Clean it up a bit and be more modest with the re-lube and you might find the fork behave much differently. Also, if you're in Portland and can't do this on your own, I can help you out, but it'll be a few weeks until I have enough free time (unless you have a Planex and can mow down my popcorn ceilings)
    Thanks for some context I'm 215lb also. Started with their recommended pressure around 90psi with no low or high speed compression. Fork felt like it was locked out. Slow speed was harsh and high speed I was just deflecting off stuff no absorbition. Lower psi all the way down to 60psi. Small bump greatly improved but anything high speed was crazy harsh. Trail like upper hide n seek would kill my hands. Probably just need to drop lowers, just annoys me taking new fork apart or buying vorspung thingy.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for some context I'm 215lb also. Started with their recommended pressure around 90psi with no low or high speed compression. Fork felt like it was locked out. Slow speed was harsh and high speed I was just deflecting off stuff no absorbition. Lower psi all the way down to 60psi. Small bump greatly improved but anything high speed was crazy harsh. Trail like upper hide n seek would kill my hands. Probably just need to drop lowers, just annoys me taking new fork apart or buying vorspung thingy.

I wouldn't buy the Luftkappe yet if I were you. It made a huge difference on my 2020 fork but not on the 2021. A buddy and I are riding tomorrow morning if you want to meet up and your schedule allows for it. I'm not sure yet if we're going to go to Cold Creek or Sandy yet but it would be around 9-9:30 either way.

Can you tell a difference in your HSC between fully open and fully closed? I'm wondering if it's still super stiff fully open and there's something wrong with the valving. I sell a lot of Fox forks and it's pretty rare to have a major QC problem but it has happened. I had a DHX2 with a borked up shim stack straight from the factory too.

mtbr member
    has anyone ridden this bike as a mullet? seems like it would be perfect for that kind of setup. and with the enduro version coming soon (bigger travel) the mullet might even be even better for that

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I'm on the edge of buying this bike and setting it up for enduro. The mullet set up particularly stands out to me.

Why are you so sure that there is an enduro version Coming soon. I mean besides the fact forbidden now has a EWS rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Here's the setup - 30T Chain ring/50T Cassette - 126 links - Large frame

Sorry for the rotated pics - not sure why that happened?

Name:	IMG_20200709_091432 resize.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	1347607
    Did you take any links out of the chain when you removed the tensioner? Iím running an XX1 chain, no links added, on a size large with AXS setup. Looking at the drivetrain now and it seems like youíd definitely need to adjust the length of the chain. Maybe thatís obvious, Iím am just not mechanically minded.

mtbr member
    I'm on the edge of buying this bike and setting it up for enduro. The mullet set up particularly stands out to me.

Why are you so sure that there is an enduro version Coming soon. I mean besides the fact forbidden now has a EWS rider.
    I just have it under good authority they will release something in august. to be fair my biggest dilemma is trying to understand if the druid is enough bike for me, and actually buy a DH bike for shuttle days......

a good problem to have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I just have it under good authority they will release something in august. to be fair my biggest dilemma is trying to understand if the druid is enough bike for me, and actually buy a DH bike for shuttle days......

a good problem to have.
    It's the same issue I'm having. Currently on a 180/175 bike and that thing gets a thrashing but it looks after me. Kinda wondering if 130 in the back would be hard on both me and the bike lol

August aye! Well that's basically the end of My riding season so maybe I should just hold off and see what's released

high pivot witchcraft
    It's the same issue I'm having. Currently on a 180/175 bike and that thing gets a thrashing but it looks after me. Kinda wondering if 130 in the back would be hard on both me and the bike lol

August aye! Well that's basically the end of My riding season so maybe I should just hold off and see what's released
    I would venture a guess that if you feel your 180/175 takes a thrashing, you will feel like hammered shit on the 150/130 Druid. While it may be witchcraft, it's not going to be able to compensate for 45 mm of travel in the rear. For me, compared to my rigid Unit (so to speak) and hardtail Honzo, the Druid is a magic carpet ride.

If you're looking for something that can handle park, I would definitely wait for Forbidden's new longer travel steed.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My wife is a lightweight (about 110#) and likely less aggressive than your wife but one thing I've chosen to do is always choose lighter known more flexy/ compliant components. This includes frame (also chosen for absurdly short chainstays), forks, bars, tires, and now I'm building her new wheels with the same goal.
    I can't thoroughly test my theory of course because she doesn't have enough experience or riding consistency and I can't fit on her bike and that wouldn't translate anyways. However she does comment about changes and really is the princess and the pea and does very much notice changes to her set up that I incorporate.
    The point? Well larger more aggressive riders with slacker longer travel bikes are going to require more rigid componentry imo.
    Maybe someday frame layups will even be weight specific?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

I ordered the storia for mine and I've only been for 2 rides so far but it's a night and day improvement. The bike is still poppy and playful but it has completely transformed how well it rides through chatter and rough terrain.

I don't have much more to say yet but you won't be disappointed. I weigh around 80kgs and I'm running a 400lbs spring but I got the 425lbs as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I would venture a guess that if you feel your 180/175 takes a thrashing, you will feel like hammered shit on the 150/130 Druid. While it may be witchcraft, it's not going to be able to compensate for 45 mm of travel in the rear. For me, compared to my rigid Unit (so to speak) and hardtail Honzo, the Druid is a magic carpet ride.

If you're looking for something that can handle park, I would definitely wait for Forbidden's new longer travel steed.
    I mean, I'm not the greatest rider so my current bike probably uses most of its travel making up for my riding and being a 27.5 I know it uses alot more travel when I'm hammering through chunky stuff.
    When I watch Lewis Buchanan riding his, it looks like it could take anything I can through at it. It's really those oh [email protected] moments.

I have no doubt this thing would excel for 85-90% of my riding.

Generally I like to go as fast as possible, so this suspension design really lends it self to maintaining speed.
    Where I live at the moment is really fun mellow trails with alot of pedalling. My bike is more gravity orientated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did you take any links out of the chain when you removed the tensioner? Iím running an XX1 chain, no links added, on a size large with AXS setup. Looking at the drivetrain now and it seems like youíd definitely need to adjust the length of the chain. Maybe thatís obvious, Iím am just not mechanically minded.

No I didn't adjust the chain length, just left it alone. Removing the lower guide would effectively lengthen the chain I suppose but I haven't seen any issues from it yet. The recommendation from Forbidden is to add a link or 2 for the large frame so maybe the improvement in shifting I notice is from the lengthening of the chain? Regardless I'm happy with the result and again, it's a quick thing to try out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No I didn't adjust the chain length, just left it alone. Removing the lower guide would effectively lengthen the chain I suppose but I haven't seen any issues from it yet. The recommendation from Forbidden is to add a link or 2 for the large frame so maybe the improvement in shifting I notice is from the lengthening of the chain? Regardless I'm happy with the result and again, it's a quick thing to try out.
    Awesome, thanks for the detail

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    https://www.ambmag.com.au/gallery/te...n-druid-550260

Saw Forbidden's instagram link this today,

I've been perusing this thread while waiting for my frame to arrive, anyone hear if Fanatik is still on track for "mid-late July" for US customers that ordered ~3 weeks ago?

Can not wait to build up my XL Cosmic Eggplant!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Anyone riding a 160mm fork on the Druid? I have a rs Lyrik Ultimate installed that I want to bump up to 160.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I really liked 160mm on my 27.5, for the plushness, plus I wonít mind another 5mm of stack

mtbr member
    For the curious, I rode DH today at Mt. Bachelor which has fairly lava-rocky, rough terrain and a few flow trails with roots and rocks (Rattlesnake, Hot Dust, Cone Run, Big Wood). I rode the trails that were open but did about 7-9 runs with a Shock Wiz I rented on the 2021 Fox 36. I probably will do this again in a few weeks, to double check, but here are my fork settings info (rear is a 11-6 set to Push recommendation):

Rider weight ~188lbs with gear
    1 token
    79 psi (not the recommended 86)
    (From closed, fully clockwise)
    HSR-4
    LSR-3
    HSC-4
    LSC-9

Some of the clicks are terribly hard to feel, so these are "accurate"

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Iím going to lengthen my lyrik to 160mm as soon as I can find a 2021 upgraded debonair spring in that length. Glad to hear you are liking the 160 on your bike. The front end seems too low to me plus the added length will allow for a little more sag and plush.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubNub View Post
    I ordered the storia for mine and I've only been for 2 rides so far but it's a night and day improvement. The bike is still poppy and playful but it has completely transformed how well it rides through chatter and rough terrain.

I don't have much more to say yet but you won't be disappointed. I weigh around 80kgs and I'm running a 400lbs spring but I got the 425lbs as well.
    Thatís great news!
    Thanks.
    Not sure what the shop ordered me for springs. But I told them the situation I was having. So I trust the right springs will be shipped.

Really looking forward to giving this a go now!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    For the curious, I rode DH today at Mt. Bachelor which has fairly lava-rocky, rough terrain and a few flow trails with roots and rocks (Rattlesnake, Hot Dust, Cone Run, Big Wood). I rode the trails that were open but did about 7-9 runs with a Shock Wiz I rented on the 2021 Fox 36. I probably will do this again in a few weeks, to double check, but here are my fork settings info (rear is a 11-6 set to Push recommendation):

Rider weight ~188lbs with gear
    1 token
    79 psi (not the recommended 86)
    (From closed, fully clockwise)
    HSR-4
    LSR-3
    HSC-4
    LSC-9

Some of the clicks are terribly hard to feel, so these are "accurate"

Cheers

So how does it feal after shockwiz in comparison to previous generations..

I'm of the opinion that a fox 36 really Only comes to life after a luftkappe or coil install. But ild love for this new fork to change my mind.

mtbr member

I'm of the opinion that a fox 36 really Only comes to life after a luftkappe or coil install. But ild love for this new fork to change my mind.
    coil on everything makes it come to life

mtbr member

Unfortunately, this is my first Fox 36. I had a Pike with Luftkappe (much better), then got the ACS3 kit (best). 2021 fork does have a 17% larger negative spring than previous models, so don't know what Vorsprung will create for this in terms of Luftkappe. I'm going to ride on normal trails tomorrow too see how the adjustments feel as I did change a few dials yesterday significantly.

That said, I do envision a coil upgrade as soon as they are available for 2021 model. I just really like the added grip/control I get from coil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi, I have the thoughts of running without the lower guide too, but I will be on a medium frame with a planned 50T cassette at the rear and 32T chainring with the new Eagle derailleur for the 52T cassette. (AXS if money allows...)

Like to heard from the folks here if anyone have this 32T/50T combo on a medium frame running without the lower chain retention.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    My drivetrain was completely fixed from using axs. I guess the system had too much cable drag to allow for clean shifts down the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd like to get opinions on sizing again, even though it's been discussed before. I'm about 6' 1/2" (184cm), and am debating between a L and XL. I see the numbers, and based on a reach of 465mm, the Large seems to be about 10mm short of where I'd like to be. Then I read people saying that by the numbers and due to the rearward axle path, the Druid feels bigger than the numbers would indicate. I would consider an XL, but the 450mm chainstays and nearly 50" wheelbase scare me a bit.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456