Forbidden Bike Co Druid - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 1152
    Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    If I were to answer this, I'd say that my expectation would be for the crash and damage to not happen in the first place. But then again, that's why I don't shop high performance any more. I shop the Toyota of the bike world, where standards are exceeded, and it's expected for the customer to not inspect and maintain the bike meticulously. In other words, I'm not someone who treats their equipment like a baby or trophy, expecting it to be a precision tool optimized for specific use. I'd instead just look to put miles on it safely and reliably, and expect it to be forgiving to any abuse I dish out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Rock strikes happen, and sharp rocks to the side of a swingarm are going to damage both carbon and alu frames. My expectation would be the frame would be tough enough that any failure would not be catastrophic so you could safely get back to car, and a relatively quick/easy crash replacement policy.
    Interesting, thanks for sharing. Frame longevity and impacts are kind of a wormhole, especially with carbon. When you start to look at perceived value, purchase cost, production numbers and cost (replacement cost amortization) and the warranty policy balanced against customer expectations...it's a lot to juggle.

Anyhow, I'm really hoping I can budget in whatever long travel bike Forbidden has lined up and possibly a Druid as well...and hoping we can get back to racing and traveling sometime soon. My family was set to take a trip up to Cumberland this summer and we'll definitely be missing it, it's a fun little town.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    ...Anyhow, I'm really hoping I can budget in whatever long travel bike Forbidden has lined up and possibly a Druid as well...and hoping we can get back to racing and traveling sometime soon. My family was set to take a trip up to Cumberland this summer and we'll definitely be missing it, it's a fun little town.
    Cumberland ROCKS. I love the riding there (except I am not a fan of climbing on fire roads, which seems to be the norm there).

Speaking of which, page 5. Wow. I bet Jerry is up there smiling down on this...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Cumberland ROCKS. I love the riding there (except I am not a fan of climbing on fire roads, which seems to be the norm there).

Speaking of which, page 5. Wow. I bet Jerry is up there smiling down on this...
    It really does. My family met the family of my good friend and best customer so I could deliver a bike to him back in 2017. They traveled all the way from Glasgow to meet us. The little town couldn't be more perfect for families...dog park, BMX track, jump park, water park, donut shop and enough places to get food. It doesn't hurt that the water in Courtney is oddly warm. We took the girls (5, 7, 8 at the time) to the BMX track every morning, run our dog in the field next to it, Jon and I would go ride until my body quit and then he'd go out for more while I went with our wives, girls and dog to swim until dinner time. The only tough thing is to find a place in Dodge City that's big enough for two families. Can't wait to go back next summer.

I'm with you on the climbs. Some of those gravel roads on the west side are rough. I remember climbing for a long time on some freshly laid gravel in search of Queso Grande, only to find that it had essentially been deforested and partially erased. We bushwacked for a while and eventually found the trail, which ended up being one of our favorites from the trip. Interestingly, when we exited one section, we saw this going back the way we came. https://www.instagram.com/p/BXRpc6_A-WB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Chain length question for Large frames and Sram drivetrains with 30t chainring. How many extra links and how did you add them? Seems like 2 powerlinks are the only option but that doesnít seem like an awesome idea.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kootenay rider View Post
    Chain length question for Large frames and Sram drivetrains with 30t chainring. How many extra links and how did you add them? Seems like 2 powerlinks are the only option but that doesnít seem like an awesome idea.
    You could try Shimano XT 12 speed 126 link chain. That's what I use on mine. I'm still on SRAM 11 speed and a 28 tooth chainring. J

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Someone on Eagle and 30 tooth could give you their exact link length. J

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the reply - Sram chains are 126 links too and it sounds like slightly longer is needed.

high pivot witchcraft
    I have large frame with a 30 tooth ring and a POS (that's piece of $hit) XO Eagle drivetrain on mine that I can't wait to replace with a Shimano. I can't remember how many extra links are required but in the end we added two powerlinks equally spaced apart (if that makes sense). I can count the extra links if you want. It wasn't many. Maybe 2?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have large frame with a 30 tooth ring and a POS (that's piece of $hit) XO Eagle drivetrain on mine that I can't wait to replace with a Shimano. I can't remember how many extra links are required but in the end we added two powerlinks equally spaced apart (if that makes sense). I can count the extra links if you want. It wasn't many. Maybe 2?
    Thanks for the feedback and don't worry about counting links! I'll get it sorted when it comes in (should be early next week) and I'll make sure to post up my thoughts after some rides. Are your Eagle drivetrain woes specific to this bike or in general?

high pivot witchcraft
    Thanks for the feedback and don't worry about counting links! I'll get it sorted when it comes in (should be early next week) and I'll make sure to post up my thoughts after some rides. Are your Eagle drivetrain woes specific to this bike or in general?
    Seems to be a little worse. This particular drivetrain was swapped over from my previous bike. It was a POS of shit on that bike too, but perhaps a little less so.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Ziggy link is out... but I'd be interested in a 29r Ziggy - drop BB and slacken HTį.

I would buy one yesterday ;-)

Anybody else interested?
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Ziggy link is out... but I'd be interested in a 29r Ziggy - drop BB and slacken HTį.

I would buy one yesterday ;-)

Anybody else interested?
    Kinda, but I don't have a 27.5 wheel set.

Nor do I have a V2 link.

Both prerequisites.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    No... I hear you on the V2 link.

I meant a Ziggy for 29 wheels - running 29 rear wheel but getting the BB drop and HTį slackened.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    No... I hear you on the V2 link.

I meant a Ziggy for 29 wheels - running 29 rear wheel but getting the BB drop and HTį slackened.
    It actually would do the opposite, the 27.5 wheels drops and slackens, the Ziggy link counteracts that halfway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Not use the Ziggy for 29r.

I'll call it the zAggy: A potential 29r specific link that drops the BB slackens HTį for a regular 29r rear wheel set up.

Robertson
    So I wasn't able to get the stripped nutsert out of the rear triangle and the bike shops I called weren't super keen on the idea of taking a dremel to a carbon frame. I ended up ziptieing a smaller fork mudguard in place of the rear mudguard and will just get a new rear triangle when I replace the Druid with the longer travel version whenever it's released. I purchased a lightweight XC/trail bike and will be building the Druid up super beefy for the more aggressive downhill/shuttle/park riding (again until the LT version comes out). Coil rear shock and coil fork, beefy tires, etc. Currently trying to decide on 160 fork vs 150 fork with -1 angleset, any opinions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have a Large with 30T/Eagle, the mechanic at my LBS didn't have to add any extra links. runs great!
    Yeti 5.5 Turq,Evil The Following MB, Chromag Primer, Evil The Offering

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmag76 View Post
    I have a Large with 30T/Eagle, the mechanic at my LBS didn't have to add any extra links. runs great!
    Sweet, thatís good to hear. Thanks

high pivot witchcraft
    Interesting. Maybe that's the trick.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So I wasn't able to get the stripped nutsert out of the rear triangle and the bike shops I called weren't super keen on the idea of taking a dremel to a carbon frame. I ended up ziptieing a smaller fork mudguard in place of the rear mudguard and will just get a new rear triangle when I replace the Druid with the longer travel version whenever it's released. I purchased a lightweight XC/trail bike and will be building the Druid up super beefy for the more aggressive downhill/shuttle/park riding (again until the LT version comes out). Coil rear shock and coil fork, beefy tires, etc. Currently trying to decide on 160 fork vs 150 fork with -1 angleset, any opinions?
    Shouldn't be too hard to drill out the insert and put a new one in! I wouldn't use a dremel. You can purchase an actual extract kit. You drill out the center the use the tool to pull it out. Works perfect!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Ive done both, I think I like the 160 better. Only reason I did the angleset was to shorten the top tube and it didnt do much. Suspension feels super balanced at 160 up front and 130 out back

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    FWIW, using the angleset would reduce reach by just over 1mm on a size large. It would be slightly different for each frame size, but the difference is so small that it's irrelevant. Putting on a +10mm travel fork reduces HTA by 0.4į (unsagged) and reach by 4.7mm (unsagged)

high pivot witchcraft
    The problem with putting a 160 fork on is that it voids your warranty. If you care about these things, which I do.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Robertson
    On the nsmb article the author mentions Forbidden is now more vague regarding this and they've mentioned on social media they're doing testing with 160mm forks to possibly change this. For what it's worth my fork is a cane creek helm coil that's already around 8mm shorter a2c than the fox 36 they base the geo off of

Off the back...
    Here is a question that fits solely in the "Hot Or Not" category: Gloss Moss Druid + 2021 Root Beer Fox 36? I currently have black lowers on my 36. Straight trade...

mtbr member
    Hawt!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Long time lurker- infrequent poster here. 

I have about 130 miles on my Druid, so I thought Iíd contribute to the conversation.

About me: 5í11Ē 165 lbs with gear on; expert level rider. Previous bike was 2018 27.5Ē Devinci Spartan.

Bike facts:

Size large

15 mm spacer below, 35 mm stem, 20 mm rise bars.

Rear shock settings: 155 psi, rebound 4 clicks from open, compression 2 clicks from open, stock token.

Drivetrain Shimano XTR 12 speed; 32 tooth chainring; 130 links

Fork. Marzocchi Z1 coil, 150mm, firm spring, rebound 11 clicks from closed, compression ~1íoíclock position.

The frame easily accepts 180mm OneUp dropper post.

Weighs ~34 lbs with heavy tires, edc tool and pump, and a coil fork.

Problems Iíve had:

From the factory the frame was missing the inner washer that holds the idler pulley. I wouldnít have recognized it, except that I took it apart and was looking over the technical drawings. Forbidden/Fanatik were good about getting it sorted quickly though.

In certain mud/silty conditions the lower chain guide pulley appears to seize up, causing a god-awful noise and allowing the chain to dig into the rubber. Itís happened twice on longer rides. I have re-greased it and loosened the torque, so hopefully it doesnít happen again. This appears to be the weakest link in the drivetrain system. Iíve noticed that my regular chain lube (RockíníRoll Gold) doesnít hold up as well with all the extra drivetrain action, so I have switched over to a Dumonde product that seems to be working better.

The cable housing/brake hose entering the swing arm makes a gritty/grindy noise when the suspension compresses.

Ride impressions:

Over all, very satisfying. This is the quietest bike I have ever ridden. No chain-slap, and the drivetrain is tolerable unless the lower chain guide is acting up. It's a solid ride and I adjusted to it very quickly from my previous bike.

I am faster on this bike, according to Strava. I havenít always felt faster, but looking at the times, there are significant differences, especially for early in the season.

Climbing is generally good. The position and seat tube angle are perfect and the reach is comfortable for me. The rear suspension feels pretty firm in regards to pedaling efforts. I would never want to use the climb switch (but generally havenít used that on any other bike Iíve owned recently). The bike doesnít fly up hills, which makes sense given my heavy tires and build, but it is efficient. The only time I havenít felt as good is super low-speed techy climbing, where the rear has felt a bit wallowy. I think it may be a shock set up issue with striking the right balance between fast rebound and low speed control. I tried the middle compression position on the shock and it delivered less traction. I think it is a LSR issue, but since I don't spend much of my rides on these super difficult climbs, I am going to live with it.

Descending is awesome, as many have noted, especially in high speed chunk. If you can stay off the brakes, it just rips. Definitely run as fast of rebound as you can tolerate for max performance. Cornering is also superb. The only thing I have missed a bit, coming off of a 170mm bike is the front end feel you get in super steep terrain with drops. It just isnít quite the same, and requires a different approach. I will be interested to try my fork at 160mm if itís not Forbidden.

Also, Iím by no means a manual champ, but havenít had any difficulties compared to previous bikes and find that the bike is also plenty easy to wheelie.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will post some pics when I get a chance. Next things I am going to experiment with are a coil shock and maybe 160mm up front if that is cleared by Forbidden.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by northerngnar View Post

I have about 130 miles on my Druid, so I thought Iíd contribute to the conversation.

About me: 5í11Ē 165 lbs with gear on; expert level rider. Previous bike was 2018 27.5Ē Devinci Spartan.

Bike facts:

Size large

Rear shock settings: 155 psi, rebound 4 clicks from open, compression 2 clicks from open, stock token.

Fork. Marzocchi Z1 coil, 150mm, firm spring, rebound 11 clicks from closed, compression ~1íoíclock position.

Problems Iíve had:

From the factory the frame was missing the inner washer that holds the idler pulley. I wouldnít have recognized it, except that I took it apart and was looking over the technical drawings. Forbidden/Fanatik were good about getting it sorted quickly though.

In certain mud/silty conditions the lower chain guide pulley appears to seize up, causing a god-awful noise and allowing the chain to dig into the rubber. Itís happened twice on longer rides. I have re-greased it and loosened the torque, so hopefully it doesnít happen again. This appears to be the weakest link in the drivetrain system. Iíve noticed that my regular chain lube (RockíníRoll Gold) doesnít hold up as well with all the extra drivetrain action, so I have switched over to a Dumonde product that seems to be working better.

The cable housing/brake hose entering the swing arm makes a gritty/grindy noise when the suspension compresses.

Ride impressions:

Over all, very satisfying. This is the quietest bike I have ever ridden. No chain-slap, and the drivetrain is tolerable unless the lower chain guide is acting up. It's a solid ride and I adjusted to it very quickly from my previous bike.

I am faster on this bike, according to Strava. I havenít always felt faster, but looking at the times, there are significant differences, especially for early in the season.

Climbing is generally good. The position and seat tube angle are perfect and the reach is comfortable for me. The rear suspension feels pretty firm in regards to pedaling efforts. I would never want to use the climb switch (but generally havenít used that on any other bike Iíve owned recently). The bike doesnít fly up hills, which makes sense given my heavy tires and build, but it is efficient. The only time I havenít felt as good is super low-speed techy climbing, where the rear has felt a bit wallowy. I think it may be a shock set up issue with striking the right balance between fast rebound and low speed control. I tried the middle compression position on the shock and it delivered less traction. I think it is a LSR issue, but since I don't spend much of my rides on these super difficult climbs, I am going to live with it.

Descending is awesome, as many have noted, especially in high speed chunk. If you can stay off the brakes, it just rips. Definitely run as fast of rebound as you can tolerate for max performance. Cornering is also superb. The only thing I have missed a bit, coming off of a 170mm bike is the front end feel you get in super steep terrain with drops. It just isnít quite the same, and requires a different approach. I will be interested to try my fork at 160mm if itís not Forbidden.

Also, Iím by no means a manual champ, but havenít had any difficulties compared to previous bikes and find that the bike is also plenty easy to wheelie.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will post some pics when I get a chance. Next things I am going to experiment with are a coil shock and maybe 160mm up front if that is cleared by Forbidden.
    Awesome post. Some of my observations are the same as yours, while others are different.

No issues with any cable housings or lower chain guide, but I blew up the idler pulley early on. Iím a little surprised you are not running the rear compression wide open. Unlike you (unfortunately), I find the bike a little tough to manual.

Iím running an 11-6 this year (and a 150mm 36 GRIP2 with a Luftkappe). Time will tell how good or bad this set up is. I may end up giving in to the urge and go with a Smashpot soon.

Great to hear from a fellow Druid rider.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member

Bike facts:

Size large

Problems Iíve had:

Ride impressions:

what bike did you come from? your a similar height to me and im currently on a 150 where the reach is quite long - 480. where i buy my bikes from they were saying you dont want to go backwards in reach if that makes sense.

in saying that - forbidden obviously recommend the large. which would be a shorter reach than what im used to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here's my first impressions - I jumped in and I'm not disappointed!

Me - lots of experience since the Freeride scene of the 90's and up within BC Canada. Been on a 2019 Stumpjumper LT/Evo 29 (which have been awesome but the climbing can feel heavy at times) and prior to that a Yeti SB100, various models from Trek, Rocky, Specialized and Norco.

Climbing - biggest thing here for me was the lack of pedal kickback which I've never experienced before. I'm used to that added force needed to pedal up and over a rock, root, etc especially on a steep climb (50t outback). With the Druid, that's gone - I was bracing for it but it wasn't there. This means I can climb up sections feeling less wasted by the top - very, very cool. Overall traction was as good as I've felt and it's a supportive bike. Can run the shock open for everything except the smooth stuff. Now I didn't PR any climbs but my legs were also feeling pretty cooked from the day before. However, one of the toughest climbs in my area almost always leaves me very winded by the top and I felt noticeably more 'fresh' on the Druid that day.

Descending - the reviews and what I've read are right on the money here for me. I PR'd a descent and was within 4s of a 2012 record on another trail. The bike picks up speed like nothing else I've ridden and can hold it with it's geometry and low BB - it does this without feeling overly plush but very supportive. My Fox36 Grip 2 didn't feel great compared to the rear and I need to adjust the setup. I didn't notice any brake jack or at least didn't feel it. I also found the bike pretty intuitive to ride contrary to what I've read from some.

Issues/Downsides
    - the chain rubs on the swing arm chain guard in the smallest cog (10t) with a 30t chainring. I have a wear line in it already - makes me wonder how long it will last before it's on the frame, bummed if I can't use that cog though. The other issue is a slight clunk/knock when picking up the rear of the bike that you can feel and hear. I torqued all the bolts to spec but can still faintly feel it and can't seem to pinpoint it. Low BB means 165mm cranks are a good idea!

Overall I'm thrilled with the Druid but those small issues dull the overall impression a bit. Look forward to riding it more and will update if there's anything of note to mention.

Robertson
    My did the clunk/knock too. I ended up taking the rear triangle off completely and reassembling and it went away

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    The other issue is a slight clunk/knock when picking up the rear of the bike that you can feel and hear. I torqued all the bolts to spec but can still faintly feel it and can't seem to pinpoint it.
    I also experienced it and isolated it to the front shock mount. You can feel it if you put your finger between the frame and the shock eyelet. I re-greased the hardware and torqued to spec and it's less noticeable now.

Also Fox says this "All shock mounting hardware will have some inherent level of axial float which is required to achieve smooth performance. This is normal and is not a safety or performance concern. If your shock mounting hardware exhibits what you believe to be excessive float or makes noise, please contact FOX for assistance. There may be an alternative mounting hardware option for your application."

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by onawave View Post
    what bike did you come from? your a similar height to me and im currently on a 150 where the reach is quite long - 480. where i buy my bikes from they were saying you dont want to go backwards in reach if that makes sense.

in saying that - forbidden obviously recommend the large. which would be a shorter reach than what im used to.
    I came from a 2018 Devinci Spartan, 27.5", large. I think the reach was 465mm. So this feels very similar, which made getting used to the Druid very intuitive. I would caution against using reach as the only factor when deciding if geometry will suit you. The overall length/wheelbase, chain stay length and effective seat tube angle also play a big factor. My experience with the Druid is that while the front end isn't the longest, the overall length of the bike and longer chain stays (compared to my previous bike), and rearward axle path make up for some of that stability. I feel very "central" in the bike and it makes weighting the front end more intuitive for me.

The bike is not wanting for stability in high speed and steep situations. Yet I think if it had gobs longer reach it would be annoying in tight/slow conditions. YMMV

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I can confirm on my build that the stock 126 link chain works fine, no need to add links.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice to hear others noticed the clunk/knock in the rear as well. It was very noticeable after building it and the front shock bolt seemed to need the most tightening.

I just checked everything out again and it is the front shock mount that has the slight movement. It's very minimal but it's there.

Off the back...
    I had the clunk, but it was a loose bolt up high on the frame. Tightened it and the clunk disappeared.

Off the back...
    Got out and rode the same route as my last ride on the Druid back in October. Didn't feel fast, but got a PR on a 2.6km climb, so I guess it still works. The new fork felt pretty good, but I'm not using anywhere near full travel. The slight rise to the front end meant I didn't have any pedal strikes, which was nice. The back end felt great, so of course I need to tinker...

Anyone have any tuning tips for a 2021 Fox X2? I dialled back the rebound and it feels fine hopping around my basement, but I'm hoping to optimize a bit before I take the Druid out again.

high pivot witchcraft
    I got out on my Druid as well this weekend.

My 2.5/2.4 Minions felt sluggish today. Then again, I wasn't exactly in full on, animal rage training mode over COVID, so there's that.

I need to get a lot of miles in, very quickly, to make up for lost time.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    Got out and rode the same route as my last ride on the Druid back in October. Didn't feel fast, but got a PR on a 2.6km climb, so I guess it still works. The new fork felt pretty good, but I'm not using anywhere near full travel. The slight rise to the front end meant I didn't have any pedal strikes, which was nice. The back end felt great, so of course I need to tinker...

Anyone have any tuning tips for a 2021 Fox X2? I dialled back the rebound and it feels fine hopping around my basement, but I'm hoping to optimize a bit before I take the Druid out again.
    I have never owned an X2, but experienced guys I know (some who are long time bike shop employees) had to resort to a ShockWiz to get in the ballpark. That X2 (pre-2021) was like a Rubik's Cube for them.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    I have never owned an X2, but experienced guys I know (some who are long time bike shop employees) had to resort to a ShockWiz to get in the ballpark. That X2 (pre-2021) was like a Rubik's Cube for them.
    Hmmm. I have an X2 on my Banshee and had one on my Trek, and they were pretty easy to set up. I'll likely just dial back the rebound damping on the Druid and see what happens.

high pivot witchcraft
    Hmmm. I have an X2 on my Banshee and had one on my Trek, and they were pretty easy to set up. I'll likely just dial back the rebound damping on the Druid and see what happens.
    Not surprising. Those guys are lovers of the weed. Chronic.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well, I have had half a dozen rides now and some observations. As most here I compare it to what I was coming off. It is fast going downhill, not as fast as my Pole which is a dragster in a straight line. However, I like the fact that I can play on this bike with the rear end, something I thought would kill me on the Pole. It climbs better than my Santa Cruz even though it does not feel fast I am faster when checking the numbers. I find the traction to be amazing, it just keeps going and I know it is not from me being in some amazing shape, because I am not really.

Now that being said, I set this up with the help of my buddy Roger at INTUNE (Ontario's best suspension guy who just happened to pick up his own Druid too) who used a shock wiz in the rear and a sussed out suspension thingy up front. I put the biggest spacer in the DPX2 with 180 pounds of air, and 85 and two spacers up front on the 36.

In the flowy stuff this thing takes on a life of its own, nice and poppy and fun to try and gap stuff. The rearward axle path is nice that you do not get bucked in the choppy rock stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    Well, I have had half a dozen rides now and some observations. As most here I compare it to what I was coming off. It is fast going downhill, not as fast as my Pole which is a dragster in a straight line. However, I like the fact that I can play on this bike with the rear end, something I thought would kill me on the Pole. It climbs better than my Santa Cruz even though it does not feel fast I am faster when checking the numbers. I find the traction to be amazing, it just keeps going and I know it is not from me being in some amazing shape, because I am not really.

Now that being said, I set this up with the help of my buddy Roger at INTUNE (Ontario's best suspension guy who just happened to pick up his own Druid too) who used a shock wiz in the rear and a sussed out suspension thingy up front. I put the biggest spacer in the DPX2 with 180 pounds of air, and 85 and two spacers up front on the 36.

In the flowy stuff this thing takes on a life of its own, nice and poppy and fun to try and gap stuff. The rearward axle path is nice that you do not get bucked in the choppy rock stuff.
    What's your riding weight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    With a pack (2 liters of water and some tools) 195 ish give or take a beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ordering parts for my build. What brakes is everyone running? Iím currently on Hope Tech 3 E4ís but open to trying something else. TRPís seem to be getting some great reviews, any other options I should look at.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I've been running Magura MT5s (with the 4 pc MT7 pads and 203mm rotors) and they are awesome for feel and power. The bleed takes a "special touch" but once you figure it out, you're golden. The levers are just OK on the MT5...definitely fancier and more options for the MT7, but the caliper is the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    New xtr trails, more powerful than the saints I had on my Pole. I only got them because I got a sweet deal on them. The xt 4 pistons are nice too and you can find take off's on pinkbike cheap. I saw a guy selling a set brand new in box (when I was looking in the late winter) for 250 Canadian. Which is like 6 bucks U.S.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    I saw a guy selling a set brand new in box (when I was looking in the late winter) for 250 Canadian. Which is like 6 bucks U.S.
    Literally LOL. Classic, thanks

mtbr member
    May 2017
    [QUOTE=C0Mtnbkr;14762709]Ordering parts for my build. What brakes is everyone running? Iím currently on Hope Tech 3 E4ís but open to trying something else. TRPís seem to be getting some great reviews, any other options I should look at.

I got sick and tired of sticky hope pistons needing service every month. I got the new trp dhr evos as soon as they released with 2.3mm 203 front and rear. These are just as powerful as code RSCs and have a super light and modulable lever feel. I dislike shimano due to wandering bite and lack of power after the initial bite. Trp have been the most reliable and easy to bleed brakes I have owned and I swear by them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    [QUOTE=senorbanana;14763531]
    Quote Originally Posted by C0Mtnbkr View Post
    Ordering parts for my build. What brakes is everyone running? Iím currently on Hope Tech 3 E4ís but open to trying something else. TRPís seem to be getting some great reviews, any other options I should look at.

I got sick and tired of sticky hope pistons needing service every month. I got the new trp dhr evos as soon as they released with 2.3mm 203 front and rear. These are just as powerful as code RSCs and have a super light and modulable lever feel. I dislike shimano due to wandering bite and lack of power after the initial bite. Trp have been the most reliable and easy to bleed brakes I have owned and I swear by them.
    Yea, the new TRPs are tempting. Been watching some reviews.

Robertson
    Running formula cura 4s on my druid. Gold color matches the gold i9 hubs and stem perfectly

Off the back...
    XT 4-pots here. I also put them on my DH bike, replacing Saints. I am interested in the TRP brakes as well, but haven't had an opportunity to try them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    XT 4-pots here. I also put them on my DH bike, replacing Saints. I am interested in the TRP brakes as well, but haven't had an opportunity to try them.
    I really like the TRPs. I think the consensus is the stock pads kinda suck, but you can run Shimano pads. On longer, steeper descents I find I could use a little more power (180mm rotors, 170 lbs), so I'll make the change sometime. The Druid's so smooth I find I probably brake less, and have more energy and less tension. Plus, most of my riding is quick laps these days. Anyway, the TRPs power comes on smooth and increases steadily. I think they're like the Codes - I brake I also quite like. Feels funny to say that given how bad SRAM's brakes were, but here we are. Anyway, if you like Codes, I would say TRP are similar with benefits of using mineral oil - if that's a perk for you, and possibly cheaper. I'd love to try Cura 4s, but they're a little more pricey.

Robertson
    Curas more pricey? They were cheaper than another set of Saints (what I had used for years) when I was looking. Look at universal cycles they're like 170 a piece vs 200+ for shimano or sram stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2021 Druid Colors and ETA

Anybody know what the two new colors are going to be for 2021 and their ETA?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider View Post
    Seems purple will be one. I believe the next load isnít due in until late July and that may have changed with CV19? Fanatik shows back ordered until late July (25th I think).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Gotten a few more rides in and here's some more thoughts:

- Setting PR's on all the downhills so far - it's fast and keeps rolling without hanging up, I've been able to hit some gaps that I could never seem to get enough speed for before. Also washboard sections feel amazingly smooth.
    - Clunking was fixed by torqueing the front shock bolt just past spec - could be my torque wrench is out of calibration
    - Read the whole thread and reduced the B tension down to almost nothing, still wearing into the chainstay protector - will most likely have to go back to the 90's version of wrapping the arm with spare tubes as it ain't gonna last!
    - I'm ~200lbs ready to ride and tried 200, 235 and 245 in the DPX2 - settled on 240psi (~33% sag or 18mm) and no spacer (for now). 200psi worked out OK but the sag was too much for my liking - felt like my STA lost 2 degrees and I was peddling from the back of the bike Ö climbing felt more like my Stumpjumper! Important stuff for me as this is my daily driver and unfortunately I spend a lot of time climbing to get to the good stuff.
    - Fox 36 Grip 2 set @ 100psi and no spacers - still runs more sag than 20% but allows me to use most of the travel
    - Haven't set any climbing PR's but it's very close Ö frame feels very stiff laterally and when hammering out of the saddle
    - Drivetrain is noisy but only when doing those slow, steep climbs - doesn't bother me but you can hear it

Overall, still extremely pleased with the bike!

Edit: Got a new shock pump and realized my above settings are wacked - new pump falls more inline with what I've read. Currently running 200psi in the DPX2 and 90psi in the Fox36 - no spacers. Thought I'd update incase someone is still reading this!
    Last edited by Kootenay rider; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Deleted

Off the back...
    Got the 2021 Fox X2 installed on the Druid and went for a rip on a trail I'm very familiar with, although today was my first go at it this season. It's a blue loop with variable terrain and surfaces, from loose over hard to big roots to sloppy mud to rock gardens. I made other changes to the bike before heading out, including removing a volume spacer from the fork. The shock is set up with the HSR 1 click back from open, LSR 2 clicks back from open, LSC open, and HSC in the middle. I didn't change the air pressure, which is about halfway between undressed and ready to ride [1 psi : 1 lbs body weight]. The fork is set with 25% sag, and I backed LSC off a few clicks but had to bring it back toward the middle after the front end was diving more than I liked.

Climbing: Set a PR through an uphill rock garden without even trying, and had zero slippage on bare roots despite rolling through some wet sections immediately prior. Even better, I'm using a "trail" tire [Bontrager SE4] in back instead of my preferred Minion DHR2. Traction for days. With the slightly longer fork [2021 Fox 36 150 vs Rock Shox Pike Ultimate 140], I had zero pedal strikes.

Tech: This is the Druid's strength, and it's very strong indeed here. With the rebound fast, there wasn't anything that upset it. The fork had a bit more trouble keeping up on hard impacts [i.e. bigger roots]. A little less HSC might help? Better rider skill?

Air: Anytime I decided to jump stuff instead of rumbling through it, I was rewarded with a pillow-soft, controlled landing. Case dismissed. Note that this trail doesn't have jumps per se, just places where roots and rocks have combined to make opportunities to get your wheels off the ground.

Corners: I'm used to riding this loop on bigger, less agile bikes [Ibis Ripmo V1, Trek Slash], where I have to overcompensate by keeping my weight forward all the time. I had to consciously re-center myself today, or I was going over the bars for sure. The added LSC in the fork helped to keep the bike from diving in corners. I also really need to practice my cornering. It's like I forgot everything over the winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Got the 2021 Fox X2 installed on the Druid and went for a rip on a trail I'm very familiar with, although today was my first go at it this season. It's a blue loop with variable terrain and surfaces, from loose over hard to big roots to sloppy mud to rock gardens. I made other changes to the bike before heading out, including removing a volume spacer from the fork. The shock is set up with the HSR 1 click back from open, LSR 2 clicks back from open, LSC open, and HSC in the middle. I didn't change the air pressure, which is about halfway between undressed and ready to ride [1 psi : 1 lbs body weight]. The fork is set with 25% sag, and I backed LSC off a few clicks but had to bring it back toward the middle after the front end was diving more than I liked.

Climbing: Set a PR through an uphill rock garden without even trying, and had zero slippage on bare roots despite rolling through some wet sections immediately prior. Even better, I'm using a "trail" tire [Bontrager SE4] in back instead of my preferred Minion DHR2. Traction for days. With the slightly longer fork [2021 Fox 36 150 vs Rock Shox Pike Ultimate 140], I had zero pedal strikes.

Tech: This is the Druid's strength, and it's very strong indeed here. With the rebound fast, there wasn't anything that upset it. The fork had a bit more trouble keeping up on hard impacts [i.e. bigger roots]. A little less HSC might help? Better rider skill?

Air: Anytime I decided to jump stuff instead of rumbling through it, I was rewarded with a pillow-soft, controlled landing. Case dismissed. Note that this trail doesn't have jumps per se, just places where roots and rocks have combined to make opportunities to get your wheels off the ground.

Corners: I'm used to riding this loop on bigger, less agile bikes [Ibis Ripmo V1, Trek Slash], where I have to overcompensate by keeping my weight forward all the time. I had to consciously re-center myself today, or I was going over the bars for sure. The added LSC in the fork helped to keep the bike from diving in corners. I also really need to practice my cornering. It's like I forgot everything over the winter.
    Did you have the DPX2 fitted previously? Does it seem like the X2 will be a keeper for you? Last question... whatís your rider weight? Building mine up right now, worried about being able to get the X2 dialed in correctly.

high pivot witchcraft

Iím trying to figure out the loop...

I may blast Merlin tomorrow.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ziggy is on board. I'm gonna ride some familiar trails tomorrow. She's choppered out pretty good. 160 front with Ziggy slackening her a shade more. J

Off the back...
    Iím trying to figure out the loop...

I may blast Merlin tomorrow.
    Bragging is supposed to be stupid wet right now, especially after today's rain. Telephone - Demi-Tel - Reconnect - Merlin might be better. I rode Ranger-Strange. Boundary was ass.

Off the back...
    Did you have the DPX2 fitted previously? Does it seem like the X2 will be a keeper for you? Last question... whatís your rider weight? Building mine up right now, worried about being able to get the X2 dialed in correctly.

Riding weight is 170 lbs, and I did have the DPX2 on before. I think I can bump up the rear pressure a little more, maybe to 180.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Riding weight is 170 lbs, and I did have the DPX2 on before. I think I can bump up the rear pressure a little more, maybe to 180.
    Thanks for the info. Do you like the feel of the X2 better than the DPX2 so far?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping that some of you with a ton of ride time might be able to help answer a question about the Druid.

I am super interested in the bike, but I am concerned about the drivetrain for where I live and how I ride. I'm in north Van and trails are usually wet, often really wet and muddy. I also tend to do long rides with a lot of climbing. Riding for 3-6 hours a day is usual for me. I know that the bike climbs well and has a great pedaling platform, but can anyone assess the extra drag in the drivetrain due to the added elements: idler pulley, lower roller and longer chain? What happens when it gets dirty? is it like on other bikes? is it worse? what do you think about the efficiency of it as a pedaler vs other bikes given my conditions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I'm 200lbs and the bike is 35lbs with a coils on both ends and in 50 hours and 250 miles in the last 2 months in the PNW riding galbraith, chuckanut, and the surrounding areas. I haven't been uncomfortable on 3 hour pedals at all, and I'll go nearly every day.

With post-ride wash and lube I haven't had any problems with anything but the dropper post from PNW(slow to rise but nothing major) and the rear thru axle coming loose, which a little loc-tite fixed. My group of riders are mainly on transitions and I've never been the one to hold up the group tinkering or fixing anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ithinkibrokeit View Post
    I picked up the bike and am very excited to take it out. I do notice the chain resting on the stay protector on the smallest cog, but overall I'm very happy.
    On another note, how has the chain rub been in the smallest cog? Did you wear through the protector? Did it wear completely through or did you manage to fix the issue somehow?

I'm wearing through mine every ride and watching it closely to make sure it doesn't start on the frame.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I've stayed off the smallest cog and changed my B tension turning it into an 11 speed. It isn't the right answer but it I'd something I can compromise on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here's hoping they come out with a re-designed swingarm and offer up a discount to current owners! With the current design I don't see any way to avoid it Ö. unless the idler pulley grows in diameter which would change the suspension design somewhat.

Off the back...
    Thanks for the info. Do you like the feel of the X2 better than the DPX2 so far?

Tough call. The X2 is super-buttery, but the DPX2 was set and forget. I set the shock to my riding weight in PSI and was instantly rewarded. I feel I'm very close on the X2 after one ride. I just want a bit more pop, so a bit more air and a little less rebound...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Tough call. The X2 is super-buttery, but the DPX2 was set and forget. I set the shock to my riding weight in PSI and was instantly rewarded. I feel I'm very close on the X2 after one ride. I just want a bit more pop, so a bit more air and a little less rebound...
    Yea, thatís what Iím worried about. Iím lazy and have no mechanic skills so the X2 is a bit intimidating. I had a Cane Creek DB2 on a previous bike and it proved to be too much adjustability, super hard to get dialed in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jeenyus View Post
    Other than size, can you comment on how the Druid rides in relation to the Mega? What kind of terrain are you riding? Did you ride the MT with a coil or air?
    When i tested the Mega I took it on a super punchy techy climb, then a black trail (in BC) thats a mix of newschool flow, a couple slabs, and some steep tech. I had a coil rear and air front.

I found the mega didnt climb even close to as well which is not that surprising. I think SC has focused a bit too hard on getting the vpp to descend well in the most recent iteration, at the cost of efficient pedalling. I also noticed a lot more kickback in slow chunky bits. It was no where near as quick through bermed flowy descents, felt about the same confidence wise on steep rocks, and notably more plush on straight line chunder. That said, while the druid def transmits more chunder to the rider, I dont think Im any slower on it. All in all, i think the difference is: worse climbing, more kickback, worse cornering, and the benefits youd expect from the extra travel.

I also probably dont ride fast enough for a MT. I was considering the HT but couldnt find a demo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrantorser View Post
    When i tested the Mega I took it on a super punchy techy climb, then a black trail (in BC) thats a mix of newschool flow, a couple slabs, and some steep tech. I had a coil rear and air front.

I found the mega didnt climb even close to as well which is not that surprising. I think SC has focused a bit too hard on getting the vpp to descend well in the most recent iteration, at the cost of efficient pedalling. I also noticed a lot more kickback in slow chunky bits. It was no where near as quick through bermed flowy descents, felt about the same confidence wise on steep rocks, and notably more plush on straight line chunder. That said, while the druid def transmits more chunder to the rider, I dont think Im any slower on it. All in all, i think the difference is: worse climbing, more kickback, worse cornering, and the benefits youd expect from the extra travel.

I also probably dont ride fast enough for a MT. I was considering the HT but couldnt find a demo.
    how did you find the "step down" to less travel coming from the megatower?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamblichus View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping that some of you with a ton of ride time might be able to help answer a question about the Druid.

I am super interested in the bike, but I am concerned about the drivetrain for where I live and how I ride. I'm in north Van and trails are usually wet, often really wet and muddy. I also tend to do long rides with a lot of climbing. Riding for 3-6 hours a day is usual for me. I know that the bike climbs well and has a great pedaling platform, but can anyone assess the extra drag in the drivetrain due to the added elements: idler pulley, lower roller and longer chain? What happens when it gets dirty? is it like on other bikes? is it worse? what do you think about the efficiency of it as a pedaler vs other bikes given my conditions?
    I live in northwestern BC with similar conditions. I havent put it through sequential long days yet because of covid, but my experience and the consensus from reviews ive read is keep it clean. Im religious with Boeshield (with propper application) and scraping the schmutz of my jockey wheels. To date, with consistent 4-5 hours riding a week my chain is pristine with this. That said, north van is a meat grinder. Re climbing, its super efficient. There is a tiny bit of drag when turning the pedals off the bike but it isnt perceptable when riding. Comparing it with my stylus (similar quality build and tires) it pedals substantially better, especially on technical ascents. The rearward wheel path and lack of kickback more than make up for the slight increase in drag.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    i honestly prefer the druid everywhere i ride. That said, Im not the dude who just goons through everything heels down and plowing. When I need/want to giv'er in a straight line it is still enough bike (ive yet to feel a hard bottom), but there is less margin than with the MT. That said, for my riding i prefer the druid as it is substantially more nimble/playful and only marginally less capable. Again, Im also not the target market for the MT. I would however say, based on reviews comparing the hightower to the megatower, that I expect the druid is more capable than the hightower with its 140/150.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member

fair odds on a bigger bike announcement?

Off the back...
    fair odds on a bigger bike announcement?
    Naw, dealer direct ghost ferns and bulk B+W film stock.

Trail Ninja
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-druid1of3.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-100785969_573193463334474_1029622955304809788_n.mp4_000001.766.jpg

Comparison to a XL Druid with big ass tires.

Less girthy seat tube could be the reason between maybe seeing a bigger gap between it and rear tire.

Slightly slacker HTA.

Hard to see any difference really, besides that the shock looks pretty big and the fork doesn't look any shorter.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Druid1of3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	1337287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100785969_573193463334474_1029622955304809788_n.mp4_000001.766.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	1337289

Comparison to a XL Druid with big ass tires.

Less girthy seat tube could be the reason between maybe seeing a bigger gap between it and rear tire.

Slightly slacker HTA.

Hard to see any difference really, besides that the shock looks pretty big and the fork doesn't look any shorter.
    Man, looks identical. Ha

mtbr member

Name:	Druid1of3.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	1337287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100785969_573193463334474_1029622955304809788_n.mp4_000001.766.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	1337289
    I am hoping it is a 27.5. I would be curious what Forbidden could make around 27.5 wheels - an updated Evil Calling with an idler. This would seriously pique my interest!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick View Post
    Similar issue here. Iím on a 11spd Shimano chain and 130 miles on the bike to date. Just checked the drivetrain for wear and found similar issues. I didnít feel or hear the same slipping of chain like you but was trying to chase down apparent drivetrain drag. The idler seems to be very sensitive to the amount of torque on the bolt. I found I had to loctite the bolt with minimal torque to reduce drag. I tried various thin shims to space out the caps from the bearing but went back to to stock setup with none. On a side note the roller on the lower chain guide is also very sensitive to over torquing as well. Iíve got it all pretty smooth for now but the wear on the idler did give me pause. Hoping the SS idler is in the works and would certainly grab one once available. Aside from these issues Iím loving the bike.
    Bringing this back up as I experienced some more idler pulley problems on my last two rides. Again I started to have the loose crank/pedal feeling however this time i noticed that my 4 month old V2 pulley had a millimeter or two of side-to-side play.

I cut the ride short and originally thought that the stock bearing blew up and didn't want to damage the mounting shaft or anything else. I swapped the bearing for a brand new Enduro Max I had on hand and the same play existed. I then installed the original idler pulley and torqued to 10nm and the play was gone.

On further inspection it looks like the backside of the V2 pulley has excessive wear on one side causing the play, does anyone else have similar wear or issues? (the same pulley backplate was used on the V1 & V2 pulley so I do not think the wear on that part is causing the issue.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_6004-1-.jpg
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_6005-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Man, looks identical. Ha

Think you are right on it being identical.
    I think it's just them announcing the new colours.
    Hence the black and white..

I hope it's not and that it might be a new rig.
    Coaching | Training | Guiding
    www.pedaltoprogression.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MqtRider View Post
    One of the new colors must be an olive green with cream or very light green lettering. I'm not a big fan of dark green, but it looks stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aj1w7g7mY

if you stop the video at 0:44 you can see it clearly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    One of the new colors must be an olive green with cream or very light green lettering. I'm not a big fan of dark green, but it looks stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aj1w7g7mY

if you stop the video at 0:44 you can see it clearly.
    Yea, youtuber BCPOV has been riding an olive green for a couple months

Trail Ninja
    Gave it another look. I see some difference around the BB area. Looks like the downtube slopes down more, which allows the shock to be mounted lower. I like that since it improves seat tube insertion for long dropper compatibility. The pivot might be a bit lower too. The seat tube looks to be offset forward some more maybe (eyeing where the line intersects the chainring), but hard to tell if the saddle is any more forward (judging by how close the tip is to being straight over the BB).

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Complete bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Complete bikes?
    yes complete bikes and new colors are what Iím predicting

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Full bike builds and new colors are live on the website

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Full bike builds and new colors are live on the website

They donít even have the full build list up though, very few details. It also doesnít outline when bikes will ship.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    They donít even have the full build list up though, very few details. It also doesnít outline when bikes will ship.

Full spec details are on the website. If you are having trouble seeing them do let us know? Or if you have any specific questions?

The first batch of XT builds are currently in the port in Vancouver, so they should arrive in our warehouse any day now. We expect to have them turned around and shipping out next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBikeCo View Post
    Full spec details are on the website. If you are having trouble seeing them do let us know? Or if you have any specific questions?

The first batch of XT builds are currently in the port in Vancouver, so they should arrive in our warehouse any day now. We expect to have them turned around and shipping out next week.
    I donít see any details on Bars, dropper post, grips, etc. Thanks for the additional info!

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-screen-shot-2020-06-03-9.41.56-am.jpg

If you scroll down it comes up, though I'm not sure on mobile. Here is the XT build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    US buyers can buy direct from Forbidden's website now? No more going through Fanatik?

Edit: lightning fast response from Forbidden! Apparently that's the case now!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eric24v View Post
    US buyers can buy direct from Forbidden's website now? No more going through Fanatik?

Edit: lightning fast response from Forbidden! Apparently that's the case now!
    Yes we ship from our Canadian HQ direct to US customers. If you are local to Fanatik you can have your bike shipped there for a professional assembly and full set up using our Pro Setup option at checkout (we will have more IBD partners in the US soon). Of course if you are looking for a custom dream build we will push you to purchase your Forbidden through Fanatik as they are the custom build experts!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ithinkibrokeit View Post

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 9.41.56 AM.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	1338431

If you scroll down it comes up, though I'm not sure on mobile. Here is the XT build.
    Thanks, itís showing up for me now. I may have been scrolling too fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Very nice build kits! And not to speak of the drool worthy aubergine color.

But with all those news, will the stainless steel idler still materialize? I have to admit that the V2 idler largely outlives the V1.

Trail Ninja
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-p5pb18799122.jpg
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-p5pb18799123.jpg

Well, I guess I found the reasoning behind the differences. On smaller sizes, the BB is offset rearward, among other changes. I guess that's what I get for comparing an XL to the promo shot.

mtbr member
    are they selling the frames separately? i live in Australia - and seriously considering one of these. i would be moving across from a yetsb150

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    Very nice build kits! And not to speak of the drool worthy aubergine color.

But with all those news, will the stainless steel idler still materialize? I have to admit that the V2 idler largely outlives the V1.
    We're currently working on a design for a stainless steel idler. We hit a couple of stumbling blocks with it but it is on the plan. It just might take a while to work through some iterations. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    are they selling the frames separately? i live in Australia - and seriously considering one of these. i would be moving across from a yetsb150
    In Australia Druids are only available as frame kits or custom builds through dealers.

DanJas imports https://www.danjasimports.com/ and their network of dealers are your source for all things Forbidden in your part of the world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi, I am looking at buying the Druid. I am riding a 2020 Specialized Enduro 29 now, looking for a shorter travel bike to go along with the Enduro29.

I have read this helpful thread, and most point to the idler gear and bearings issue even with the Ver 2 gear, and the Sram incompatibility as in chain rubbing the chain guide in the 10T cog.

May I know any follow up on these 2 issues from Forbbiden or any solutions from the owners here?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by revver View Post
    Hi, I am looking at buying the Druid. I am riding a 2020 Specialized Enduro 29 now, looking for a shorter travel bike to go along with the Enduro29.

I have read this helpful thread, and most point to the idler gear and bearings issue even with the Ver 2 gear, and the Sram incompatibility as in chain rubbing the chain guide in the 10T cog.

May I know any follow up on these 2 issues from Forbbiden or any solutions from the owners here?
    Thanks.
    Issues seem to be mostly with Shimano, not SRAM, but Iím assuming theyíre easy to fix considering Forbidden is only kitting their full builds with Shimano

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    On another note, how has the chain rub been in the smallest cog? Did you wear through the protector? Did it wear completely through or did you manage to fix the issue somehow?

I'm wearing through mine every ride and watching it closely to make sure it doesn't start on the frame.

Thanks
    The chain rub is way less of an issue than you're making it out to be. I've had my bike for over a year and it hasn't worn through and it will never happen. The edges of the chain have worn small grooves but that stops because the rollers will eventually sit on the rubber and it will never wear any further. Stress less and enjoy the ride

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm still sorely tempted by the bike. I was last year but had concerns over sizing (183cm and whether a Large would be too small), which to some degree remain. Having spent some extended time on another recently released high pivot point trail bike my attention is coming back to the Druid. I've an itch I need to scratch. The new XT full build (which is pretty much what I would have spec'd on a self build anyway) is very tempting at that price point in the UK.

There is also a 2nd hand, hardly used Gloss Moss relatively near by that I'm tempted by.

Pinkbike seem to suggest there's a revised linkage and hardware updates over the original bike. Can someone share with me what these are please?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post
    I'm still sorely tempted by the bike. I was last year but had concerns over sizing (183cm and whether a Large would be too small), which to some degree remain. Having spent some extended time on another recently released high pivot point trail bike my attention is coming back to the Druid. I've an itch I need to scratch. The new XT full build (which is pretty much what I would have spec'd on a self build anyway) is very tempting at that price point in the UK.

There is also a 2nd hand, hardly used Gloss Moss relatively near by that I'm tempted by.

Pinkbike seem to suggest there's a revised linkage and hardware updates over the original bike. Can someone share with me what these are please?
    The original linkage was a 2 piece design that was bolted together and the pivot bolts were titanium. The new one is one piece and has aluminium hardware. The new linkage is a bit lighter but that's the only difference. The removal of ti hardware was to address a creak that a hand full of people had.

I'm 183cm as well and went with a large. I couldn't imagine being on the XL. I'm running a 31mm stem so you could easily go with 50mm if you need the reach.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the prompt response ScrubNub, appreciated. That's good to know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubNub View Post
    The chain rub is way less of an issue than you're making it out to be. I've had my bike for over a year and it hasn't worn through and it will never happen. The edges of the chain have worn small grooves but that stops because the rollers will eventually sit on the rubber and it will never wear any further. Stress less and enjoy the ride
    Thanks, it's all good. I contacted Forbidden and they told me the same thing so no more stress and I'm definitely enjoying the ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hi, I read through this thread, 2 questions/comments.

1. What size druid would be best for 176cm height and 186cm arm span. I'm close to between sizes. No downhill around here with lifts (New Brunswick Canada) but lots of good trails.
    2. Please make the Stainless Idler so if I buy one of these bikes I don't have to make one myself. I am an engineer with a lathe and mill at home and 3D machine design software at work but it would be nice to have a factory offering.

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hi everyone! I keep reading questions and concerns regarding the design of the chain slap protector and the fact that the chain will rub on it in the 10t sprocket. Hopefully I can give a little insight to how the design ended up how it did and hopefully put to rest any concerns.

We first developed a protector using the same material and thickness as we had designed for traditional bikes in the past, however during testing we found the bike to be too noisy. We found that the proximity of the chain to the stay when in the middle of the cassette, where you generally spend most of your time while riding, was causing more noise than we felt acceptable. You essentially get smaller impacts between the chain and the stay but they happen way more often. This is a problem quite unique to a high idler equipped bike and it caught us a bit by surprise. We experimented with a number of ways to get the bike to be as quiet as we wanted and the solution we settled on was a thicker and softer protector. The trade off with this was that the chain would sit on the protector when in the 10t sprocket. We felt, after consulting a good number of local riders too, that this trade off was acceptable. The reasoning being that it is quite unusual to spend significant time in the 10t sprocket on an average ride. Personally I like my bikes to be as silent as possible so the development of this part became a bit of an obsession and we burned through significant money on tooling and tested countless different materials until we had a design which would keep the bike quiet.

You will see some wear occur in the protector, this is normal, but we are confident that the chain will not wear all of the way through the protector as there is adequate clearance between the chain and the frame in the 10t. We did consider molding a groove in the protector effectively mimicking the wear but then the positioning of the protector became critical and we would not be able to guarantee that perfect positioning. Again, we felt the current design was the best compromise.

Hope that helps!

Owen

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
    Hi, I read through this thread, 2 questions/comments.

1. What size druid would be best for 176cm height and 186cm arm span. I'm close to between sizes. No downhill around here with lifts (New Brunswick Canada) but lots of good trails.
    2. Please make the Stainless Idler so if I buy one of these bikes I don't have to make one myself. I am an engineer with a lathe and mill at home and 3D machine design software at work but it would be nice to have a factory offering.

Thanks all.
    1. If your trails are flat out fast, straighter affairs go for a large and the added wheelbase. If they are twisty tech a medium might be your best bet.

2. We are working on it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    1. If your trails are flat out fast, straighter affairs go for a large and the added wheelbase. If they are twisty tech a medium might be your best bet.

2. We are working on it!
    I really appreciate the reply. I've read every review I can find online and I really appreciate the attention to detail, level of technical content available on your site and the product improvement (version 2 linkage) that your company has displayed to date. The ideas are amazing too like the ziggy link.

I skipped the last 18 years of biking due to kids and other interests and a lot has changed since the 90's. Love that you selected Shimano for the builds.

Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post

I am 1,83 on a Large with 50mm stem and its literally spot-on. I might actually try a 30 mm stem in the near future. So i don't think a Large would be too small, nowhere close in my opinion

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I am currently looking into buying a new bike as i sold my SB150 last week. I am concerned with the smaller reach but i think a 50mm stem should remedy the reach in a size large. I'm 6ft even with a 33 inseam. XL with a 32-33mm stem possible? Anyone my size riding an XL how is the climbing position?

I am 210 geared and want to know how stiff the frame is? I loved the sb150 but it felt a little flexy for my liking. Has anyone tried an angleset and is this forbidden bikes approved?

I was also wondering if i order a size Large XT build in the next few days if it would ship to CA USA next week?

I am on hold for the sentinel but will switch to the druid if my bike will land in the next few weeks. The sentinel wait is currently 2 months plus.

I have no bike right now and its killing me.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hello, I was trying to remove my remove my rear triangle and am having some trouble. Looking at the exploded diagram on forbidden's site, I'm not sure how to remove part 37 on page 9. I removed the Allen however it's still firmly attached. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Zach

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0125/6816/6464/files/Druid_Exploded_View_V1.1.pdf?10139

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbike8 View Post
    Hello, I was trying to remove my remove my rear triangle and am having some trouble. Looking at the exploded diagram on forbidden's site, I'm not sure how to remove part 37 on page 9. I removed the Allen however it's still firmly attached. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Zach

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...V1.1.pdf?10139
    That part is a cap that covers the main pivot axle nut. It keeps it from backing off. It is friction fit. Therefore, you have to carefully pry it off the nut. I use a tiny knife edge prybar to get in that tiny space without marring the nut. You could also use a plastic putty knife.... Maybe some else can chime in with a magic tool idea. J

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow, thanks buddy, that's not so fun. I used small standard screwdriver with a bit of old tube on it to pry up the inside of the cap until, I could carefully pry up from the outside of the cap with a putty knife.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It would be great if they could thread that cap for a larger bolt so you could simple use, say the upper shock mount bolt to back that cap off.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    When you go to reinstall the cap after you get the nut to the specified torque it should just slide over the nut without forcing it. If it does not just tighten/loosen the nut slightly until it just slides on. It has to be clocked in the right position. J

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi everyone! I keep reading questions and concerns regarding the design of the chain slap protector and the fact that the chain will rub on it in the 10t sprocket. Hopefully I can give a little insight to how the design ended up how it did and hopefully put to rest any concerns.

We first developed a protector using the same material and thickness as we had designed for traditional bikes in the past, however during testing we found the bike to be too noisy. We found that the proximity of the chain to the stay when in the middle of the cassette, where you generally spend most of your time while riding, was causing more noise than we felt acceptable. You essentially get smaller impacts between the chain and the stay but they happen way more often. This is a problem quite unique to a high idler equipped bike and it caught us a bit by surprise. We experimented with a number of ways to get the bike to be as quiet as we wanted and the solution we settled on was a thicker and softer protector. The trade off with this was that the chain would sit on the protector when in the 10t sprocket. We felt, after consulting a good number of local riders too, that this trade off was acceptable. The reasoning being that it is quite unusual to spend significant time in the 10t sprocket on an average ride. Personally I like my bikes to be as silent as possible so the development of this part became a bit of an obsession and we burned through significant money on tooling and tested countless different materials until we had a design which would keep the bike quiet.

You will see some wear occur in the protector, this is normal, but we are confident that the chain will not wear all of the way through the protector as there is adequate clearance between the chain and the frame in the 10t. We did consider molding a groove in the protector effectively mimicking the wear but then the positioning of the protector became critical and we would not be able to guarantee that perfect positioning. Again, we felt the current design was the best compromise.

Hope that helps!

Owen
    Owen, thanks for clarifying this. I also feared that the chain would nag it's way through the protector. Good to hear that it won't.

mtbr member

Hope that helps!

Owen
    This issue is not isolated to Forbidden high pivot bikes, and really isn't that big of deal. I'm always willing to trade a little wear on a chain protector for the speed a HP design offers. Just check it from time to time and keep your chain clean/oiled.

Now, ill go back to patiently awaiting a forbidden long travel rig
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,
    Just placed an order for the Druid in M size. Glad to hear the issue with Sram Eagle 12spd is all good and the 10T cog rubbing issue is cleared up. Hopefully the new SS idler gear can make it on the new frame in time.
    May I know if I can use a DUB BB for this Druid? To adjust the B screw seated for Sram 12spd? Lastly, any recommendations for the dropper length, I ride with a saddle height of 630mm from the BB, dropper extended. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hi,
    Just placed an order for the Druid in M size. Glad to hear the issue with Sram Eagle 12spd is all good and the 10T cog rubbing issue is cleared up. Hopefully the new SS idler gear can make it on the new frame in time.
    May I know if I can use a DUB BB for this Druid? To adjust the B screw seated for Sram 12spd? Lastly, any recommendations for the dropper length, I ride with a saddle height of 630mm from the BB, dropper extended. Thanks.
    630mm for sure? I'm pretty short at 173 and my Saddle (top) is at 700mm. That exactly fits a 180mm Oneup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi,
    Just measured again 635mm, riding with 170mm crank and Oneup flat pedals.

I'm shortie at 165, but I like bigger bikes. I was riding a size small Pole Machine and currently on a S2 Enduro 29.

I will install a 35mm stem with a 750mm bar for the Druid build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Great thread, everyone's ride descriptions have really gotten me interested in this bike.

As someone who is 5'4 (162cm), the sized-scaled geometry has me sold on the Druid independently of everything else. The chainstays on the small rival a lot of 27.5 bikes! Seems like the Druid would be a great, snappy 29er for us munchkins.

One question I have is about the level of riding skill one needs to take advantage of the HSP design. It seems like all of the reviews out there uniformly praise the bike but say that it does take "getting used to". In contrast, lots of reviews of bikes like the SC Hightower v2 (another bike on my list) talk about how easy it is to get along with. Even some of the posts here talk about the need to brake strategically (like late into turns, no rear brake dragging) to really take advantage of the bike. Is this more of a advanced rider's bike?

I'd classify myself as an advanced intermediate and I actively work on improving my technique. I also recognize that my cornering is still a work in progress and that I'm guilty of comfort braking more than I should. Does this bike demand a higher skill set to be worthwhile? Obviously, I could answer a lot of this with a demo ride but there are no dealers in NorCal.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesDogsBrews View Post
    Great thread, everyone's ride descriptions have really gotten me interested in this bike.

As someone who is 5'4 (162cm), the sized-scaled geometry has me sold on the Druid independently of everything else. The chainstays on the small rival a lot of 27.5 bikes! Seems like the Druid would be a great, snappy 29er for us munchkins.

One question I have is about the level of riding skill one needs to take advantage of the HSP design. It seems like all of the reviews out there uniformly praise the bike but say that it does take "getting used to". In contrast, lots of reviews of bikes like the SC Hightower v2 (another bike on my list) talk about how easy it is to get along with. Even some of the posts here talk about the need to brake strategically (like late into turns, no rear brake dragging) to really take advantage of the bike. Is this more of a advanced rider's bike?

I'd classify myself as an advanced intermediate and I actively work on improving my technique. I also recognize that my cornering is still a work in progress and that I'm guilty of comfort braking more than I should. Does this bike demand a higher skill set to be worthwhile? Obviously, I could answer a lot of this with a demo ride but there are no dealers in NorCal.
    The Druid is the most comfortable, best climbing, best steering, best riding (from flow trails to tech chunk) bike that I have ridden. This bike has no learning curve. The only tricky thing for me has been manualling it. Others in this thread above have had no problem. I find it tough-ish at times to get the front end up. Thatís it. Everything else has been easy and completely intuitive. It felt like an old familiar friend within minutes of my first ride on it.

This bike provides endless fun and inspiration. I feel it will gracefully accomplish almost anything I ask of it. Anything I am not able to successfully do on this bike is a result of my own shortcomings. In response to comments from friends about how much I have upped my game, I have responded by saying that with the Druid, I literally feel like I am cheating; like I have an unfair advantage.

When I am done a ride, all I think about is the next one.

On the other hand, I have tried so many times in the past (including this go-around) to embrace VPP, but no bueno. Itís not for me.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    the witchcraft is real
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    the witchcraft is real
    It sure is.

Marcus - is it any tougher getting the front end of your SX in the air? I wonder if this is an HSP thing. Or even a thing at all (I appreciate others find no difference with this bike compared to any other).
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Could the difficulty getting up on the rear wheel be due to rear center growth from the rearward axle path?

Iíve been wondering what the ďeffectiveĒ chainstay length (and wheelbase) would be for each size at whatever Forbidden recommends for the sag.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    Just measured again 635mm, riding with 170mm crank and Oneup flat pedals.

I'm shortie at 165, but I like bigger bikes. I was riding a size small Pole Machine and currently on a S2 Enduro 29.

I will install a 35mm stem with a 750mm bar for the Druid build.
    I am 170 cm tall and have a Bikeyoke Revive 125 on my size M Druid. BB to top of saddle is 675 and and my Revive is pulled out 2cm from fully inserted. You should get dropper post with shortest stack height possible. Possibly Oneup 150 shimmed to 130, but even then it may be just a tad too tall, not sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi Fizzywater,
    Thank you for your input on the measurement. Mai I know what saddle you are having? You riding flat pedals too?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    It sure is.

Marcus - is it any tougher getting the front end of your SX in the air? I wonder if this is an HSP thing. Or even a thing at all (I appreciate others find no difference with this bike compared to any other).
    Its different than my other bikes for sure.

Admittedly most all my experience on the HSP has been gravity oriented. I will say that I could finagle the bike enough to manual into primitive drops/jumps without much resistance. It does however take some additional finesse that seems to come a little easier on traditional suspension.

In the end, the Druid seems way more refined while the 37lb SX is point & plow.

**On another high pivot subject. How many of you are running oval rings on your bikes? Does the pedal stroke feel any different than traditional suspension?
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    Its different than my other bikes for sure.

Admittedly most all my experience on the HSP has been gravity oriented. I will say that I could finagle the bike enough to manual into primitive drops/jumps without much resistance. It does however take some additional finesse that seems to come a little easier on traditional suspension.

In the end, the Druid seems way more refined while the 37lb SX is point & plow.

**On another high pivot subject. How many of you are running oval rings on your bikes? Does the pedal stroke feel any different than traditional suspension?
    As for an oval ring on the Druid, I donít dare. After toasting the idler, I am not doing anything the slightest bit controversial with that drivetrain. I do have an RF oval ring on my Honzo - I notice zero difference in pedal stroke. Zero.

As for manualling, I donít want to leave the wrong impression. I can still, for example, pull the front end up on a descent to avoid a sharp, deep v-shaped hole. It just Seems to take a bit more effort.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Hi Fizzywater,
    Thank you for your input on the measurement. Mai I know what saddle you are having? You riding flat pedals too?

Thanks.
    Hi revver. Saddle is SQlab 611 Ergowave. I think it has more vertical height than the average saddle due to the additional higher platform at the back of the saddle for the sitbones. Using DMR Vault flats and 165mm cranks.

mtbr member
    As for an oval ring on the Druid, I donít dare. After toasting the idler, I am not doing anything the slightest bit controversial with that drivetrain. I do have an RF oval ring on my Honzo - I notice zero difference in pedal stroke. Zero.

As for manualling, I donít want to leave the wrong impression. I can still, for example, pull the front end up on a descent to avoid a sharp, deep v-shaped hole. It just Seems to take a bit more effort.
    Think we're on same page RE manualing. It can be done, just differently. Kinda like dancing the tango with a big girl

I've run oval rings for 5-6 years now and have been pretty happy. Bought an oval for the HSP like I would normally do, and it felt completely different. As if the clocking was off, but its installed correctly and is the same 32t oval that I have on my XC rig. From what I gather, the limited chainwrap on the HSP is not playing well with the oval design and throwing the cadence off. Gonna have to switch back to round once coronageddon subsides.

Speaking of idlers, mine was noisy AF in the shale/mud in NWA the last time i rode. Have no doubt it creates far more drag than the larger one offered on the Druid.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

high pivot witchcraft
    Think we're on same page RE manualing. It can be done, just differently. Kinda like dancing the tango with a big girl

I've run oval rings for 5-6 years now and have been pretty happy. Bought an oval for the HSP like I would normally do, and it felt completely different. As if the clocking was off, but its installed correctly and is the same 32t oval that I have on my XC rig. From what I gather, the limited chainwrap on the HSP is not playing well with the oval design and throwing the cadence off. Gonna have to switch back to round once coronageddon subsides.

Speaking of idlers, mine was noisy AF in the shale/mud in NWA the last time i rode. Have no doubt it creates far more drag than the larger one offered on the Druid.
    I got caught in an hour and a half torrential downpour 2 nights ago, on mud laden trails. I was happy to make it back to my truck and am still concerned I did some major damage to the drivetrain. I worry about it. For me it's been very fragile so far. 2 nights ago it was noisy AF, to the point where I let off the steam and limped my way back to the trail head, for fear of busting something under load.

I guess that's my only other not so positive comment - manualling + seemingly fragile drivetrain. Maybe I am being paranoid but it's still shocking to me how quickly I pooched the bearings in the original idler (although maybe it was a bad run of bearings, or maybe it was my fault as a result of not careful enough bike washings).
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got caught in an hour and a half torrential downpour 2 nights ago, on mud laden trails. I was happy to make it back to my truck and am still concerned I did some major damage to the drivetrain. I worry about it. For me it's been very fragile so far. 2 nights ago it was noisy AF, to the point where I let off the steam and limped my way back to the trail head, for fear of busting something under load.

I guess that's my only other not so positive comment - manualling + seemingly fragile drivetrain. Maybe I am being paranoid but it's still shocking to me how quickly I pooched the bearings in the original idler (although maybe it was a bad run of bearings, or maybe it was my fault as a result of not careful enough bike washings).
    So you are mostly concerned with this in wet conditions? Or has it been acting up when dry too?

high pivot witchcraft
    So you are mostly concerned with this in wet conditions? Or has it been acting up when dry too?

To be a bit clearer, since replacing the original idler, it hasn't really acted up at all, apart from being noisy 2 nights ago (but any drive train would have been). I am just a little nervous because of what went down with the original idler.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    To be a bit clearer, since replacing the original idler, it hasn't really acted up at all, apart from being noisy 2 nights ago (but any drive train would have been). I am just a little nervous because of what went down with the original idler.
    Ah, thanks. Makes sense.

high pivot witchcraft
    Ah, thanks. Makes sense.

I am heading out in an hour. I can't wait. It's always like that with any bike, but with the Druid, I start dreaming about the next ride as soon as the last one ends. I get that this is sounding a little over the top, but it's true. I am trying to be as objective as I can, both good and bad. On the positive side, this is a very exciting, inspiring, beautifully designed piece of industrial art. I love how it looks, but love how it rides a lot more.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    So, a quick comment on the 11-6 vs the DPX2...

Guys - be happy with the DPX2. Resist the urge to think "what if?", only to end up going down a bunch of rabbit holes.

I like the 11-6 more and more as I get used to it, but I think I need a lighter spring weight. It feels a lot more, shall we say "compliant", than the DPX2. The harder I smash shit, the better it feels, but it's a much more "platform feeling" ride than the DPX2.

I couldn't get rid of the constant squeak in my DPX2. It almost drove me mad. That, in and of itself, was worth the change. But i do think that with the spring weight Push gave me, the DPX2 felt far more bottomless.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Robertson

I only ride my Druid in dry conditions and it can be high maintenance (I wouldn't call it ''fragile'') in those conditions as well. I need to do a complete drivetrain clean and relube (taking upper idler pulley and lower roller out) every 3ish rides to keep it running well. Chain is complete clean, degrease, relube every ride. I replaced my idler pulley bearing after 3 months (riding 1-2 times a week) and the lower roller bearing after 4 months.

high pivot witchcraft
    I only ride my Druid in dry conditions and it can be high maintenance (I wouldn't call it ''fragile'') in those conditions as well. I need to do a complete drivetrain clean and relube (taking upper idler pulley and lower roller out) every 3ish rides to keep it running well. Chain is complete clean, degrease, relube every ride. I replaced my idler pulley bearing after 3 months (riding 1-2 times a week) and the lower roller bearing after 4 months.
    Maybe I am in the minority on this but if I did that, it would really detract from my ride time. I am busy AF. I donít have time to devote this level of maintenance to any bike I own (or any of my daughterís).
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I've just hit 400 miles now on the bike to include 70 miles in sad rainstorms in the last 2 weeks and 1 exciting unexpected hailstorm on galbi, which started right as we jumped into evo and ended at the parking lot. I clean the chain then relube, mist the bike and wipe it down then dry it with an airdryer. I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary now and it is a hoot. I picked up a recon rack yesterday so I can go on more adventures and be less worried about wobbly tray racks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I've hit 400 miles now on the bike to include 70 miles in sad rainstorms in the last 2 weeks and 1 exciting unexpected hailstorm on galbi, which started right as we jumped into evo and ended at the parking lot.

I clean the chain then relube, mist the bike and wipe it down then dry it with an airdryer. I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary now and it is a hoot.

I picked up a recon rack yesterday so I can go on more adventures and be less worried about wobbly tray racks.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-druidrack2.jpg

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-druidrack1.jpg

mtbr member
    Have any of you guys tried running your druids without the lower guide? My HSP has never had one and I have had zero chain drops. Seems to me if you don't need it, why introduce another wearable item that creates more drag. Particularly on a trailbike.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

Robertson
    Maybe I am in the minority on this but if I did that, it would really detract from my ride time. I am busy AF. I donít have time to devote this level of maintenance to any bike I own (or any of my daughterís).
    True, but I am pretty sensitivity to a noisy/draggy drivetrain and this is a must in my area with the moondust type soil we have this time of year. It is definitely a pain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have any of you guys tried running your druids without the lower guide? My HSP has never had one and I have had zero chain drops. Seems to me if you don't need it, why introduce another wearable item that creates more drag. Particularly on a trailbike.
    Was thinking about this today. I already have the bottom guide set in the lowest position and most of the chain slap is between the cassette and the chain idler.
    Coaching | Training | Guiding
    www.pedaltoprogression.com

mtbr member
    All right, time to contribute some feedback after lurking around for a long time on this thread. I have now around 20 rides/50h of riding time under my belt on my medium Druid. I am 170cm, 147 pounds out of the shower, longer torso short legs.

Fox 36 Elite at 150mm (2 volume spacers); 60 PSI
    Fox DPX2 (grey 0.4 volume spacer); 145 PSI
    Hunt Trail Wide wheels (30mm internal width)
    Assegai front, DHR2 rear
    Sram GX drivetrain with 165mm RF Aeffect cranks
    Shimano Saint Brakes
    Bikeyoke Revive 125 dropper
    Spank 800 Vibrocore bar cut to 780; 50mm rise
    OneUp grips
    50mm stem; 2mm spacer between headset and stem
    DMR Vault flat pedals

Overall I am super happy how the bike rides. Handling, balance front/rear, front/rear balance when catching air, stability vs. agility is all top notch. . Seated pedaling is very good and composed. Out of saddle mashing is so so (not great, but not bad either). Can't really judge technical climbing, as most of my local riding is up fire roads for an hour or more and then down singletrack goodness.

Descending, this bike is a cornering daemon bar none and definitely faster and more composed going down fast choppy, chunky stuff compared to my YT Jeffsy 27 (which has 160mm Pike with Smashpot coil up front and custom valved RS Deluxe 150mm in the rear). That said, it's definitely all more taught/firm and the travel does not feel as deep and plush as my Jeffsy, especially towards the end of travel. The Jeffsy has very high progressivity, which I like and which I feel the Druid is lacking somewhat. Even with the grey 0.4 volume spacer I wish my Druid had more progressivity. I am still bottoming out several times per each ride, it's not a harsh bottom out. Nevertheless, I prefer to have always a bit of travel in reserve and to hit full bottom only occasionally. I may still have to experiment a bit more with shock pressures and other volume spacers, not sure (started out with no spacers and 150-160 PSI until I ended up at grey spacer with 145 PSI) . Midstroke support feels very good, even though the Druid seems to use the first 70% of its shock stroke pretty generously even on smaller compressions...strange, but it works really well on the Druid and I never feel like I am pushing into mushy suspension.

Overall, I am very stoked with this bike. That said, I am going to move the Smashpot from my Jeffsy's Pike to the Fox 36 on my Druid this weekend, it's just so much better. My 2018 Pike with it's somewhat not so great damper and Smashpot runs circles around my 2019 Fox 36 in all aspects...can't think of a single thing I like better on the Fox other than theoretically better damper and damper adjustability, but right now I have to run the Fox compression dials fully open anyway to make it work for me. It's not like the Fox 36 is bad, but I think once you go Smashpot, there is no coming back, it's really that good.

The only thing that pisses me off royally and constantly is the Sram GX drivetrain. I keep fiddling around with the B-gap adjustment screw, but cannot find a good setup. Shifting up from smaller to the larger cogs works Ok, but shifting down from larger to smaller cogs is really slow and inconsistent and then really bad on the 4-5 smallest cogs. Going to take it to my lbs in next few days to find out, if I am missing something or what.

What else, poppieness is pretty good and much better than I expected (after reading numerous reviews on the interwebs), albeit not as good as my Jeffsy 27. That thing wants to pop and jump off anything as soon as you just even think about it. So far, the idler pulley seems to be holding up OK and not giving me any issues. I pulled it off today and added grease to both sides of the bearing. All in all, I think Forbidden have developed a very well balanced trail/AM bike with superb handling and absolutely awesome cornering & descending chops. I just wish there was a bit more plushness, though adding the Smashpot may help in that regard...we shall see. If there was 140 or 150 version of the Druid, I would be all over it in a heartbeat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-druid22.jpg  

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-druid33.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Deleated
    Last edited by Kmag76; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:14 AM. Reason: repost

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So, a quick comment on the 11-6 vs the DPX2...

Guys - be happy with the DPX2. Resist the urge to think "what if?", only to end up going down a bunch of rabbit holes.

I like the 11-6 more and more as I get used to it, but I think I need a lighter spring weight. It feels a lot more, shall we say "compliant", than the DPX2. The harder I smash shit, the better it feels, but it's a much more "platform feeling" ride than the DPX2.

I couldn't get rid of the constant squeak in my DPX2. It almost drove me mad. That, in and of itself, was worth the change. But i do think that with the spring weight Push gave me, the DPX2 felt far more bottomless.
    I've gone down a similar rabbit hole with my Offering last year. The 11-6 was really good in a lot situations, but in the end for overall riding i preferred the poppiness of the DPX2.

Regarding the squeaky DPX2, pull the can off, and lube the seals and glide ring with slickoleum. Mine was like that as well, and this did the trick!

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

I've gone down a similar rabbit hole with my Offering last year. The 11-6 was really good in a lot situations, but in the end for overall riding i preferred the poppiness of the DPX2.

Regarding the squeaky DPX2, pull the can off, and lube the seals and glide ring with slickoleum. Mine was like that as well, and this did the trick!
    Thanks for the suggestions.

If I may ask, were you able to access the 11-6's rebound on the Druid?

Also, please pardon my ignorance, but any button fiddling suggestions to try to soften things up a bit short of swapping out coils?

I'm 185 out of the shower (sorry for the visual) and they gave me a 450 lb/in spring.

Here are my stock settings:

I usually just leave it in down mode. The climb mode is compliant AF. Too stiff for my liking. I don't do fire roads. Ever.

Thanks.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions.

If I may ask, were you able to access the 11-6's rebound on the Druid?

Also, please pardon my ignorance, but any button fiddling suggestions to try to soften things up a bit short of swapping out coils?

I'm 185 out of the shower (sorry for the visual) and they gave me a 450 lb/in spring.

Here are my stock settings:

I usually just leave it in down mode. The climb mode is compliant AF. Too stiff for my liking. I don't do fire roads. Ever.

Thanks.
    It was my Evil Offering that i had installed the 11-6 on, I managed to get it the way I liked, but in the end I think i preferred the DPX2.
    I have been thinking of trying an EXT Storia on my Druid, (im also able to use the shock on my Levo SL) So i would get a 2 for 1 deal.
    But I dont know if i would just be just going down another rabbit hole.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Has anyone on here tried an EXT Storia on their Druid?
    If so, what are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _HENDO_ View Post
    Was thinking about this today. I already have the bottom guide set in the lowest position and most of the chain slap is between the cassette and the chain idler.
    I'd give it a try. The SX and Highlander dont use them.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

CCan
    Got a new XT Druid. Curious what others have done to stop rock crunches between the swing arm and the seat tube. Moto foam? Custom fender?

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey88 View Post
    Got a new XT Druid. Curious what others have done to stop rock crunches between the swing arm and the seat tube. Moto foam? Custom fender?
    Congrats! I have seen moto foam used (I intend to get my local dealer to throw some in the crevice when I bring my bike in to get the V2 link installed, once it arrives).
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey88 View Post
    You got yours already? I ordered hour after they were available. Mine hasn't even shipped!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Has anyone on here tried an EXT Storia on their Druid?
    If so, what are your thoughts?
    Curious also. Push not getting rave reviews

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi all, may I know what size volume spacer come stock on the Druid Fox DPX2 shock? Thanks.

CCan
    Iím on Van Island so shipping was real fast.

mtbr member
    Hi all, may I know what size volume spacer come stock on the Druid Fox DPX2 shock? Thanks.
    Per Forbidden the purple 0.2 spacer comes stock, but you may want to open the shock and check. My Druid came without a volume spacer in the shock.

high pivot witchcraft
    Admission/apology time.

So...

Embarrassingly it was only tonight that I did some button fiddling with my 11-6. As it turns out, the LSC and HSC for both circuits were almost closed. It was nowhere close to what the settings were supposed to be per the card I posted above.

Wow. Dumb mistake.

Things were a LOT better tonight both climbing and descending after I opened both the LSC and HSC up a crapload for both circuits.

Sorry guys to have led you astray. Pretty happy to have discovered a ton of capability I didnít know existed with the 11-6.

PS - those little buttons are really tough on the fingers. Also, there is NOT 15 and 20 clicks for HSC and LSC as advertised. More like 25 and 30 on mine. Lots of adjustability. I am pretty stoked to dial in both circuits now.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Does anybody have enough time on the Ziggy Mullet link to offer an impression/comparison?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Setting up my brand spanking new XT Druid today! Thank you mtnbkrmike for this super helpful post!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd give it a try. The SX and Highlander dont use them.
    I tried running without the lower guide yesterday - shifting felt smoother and way less noise - felt a tad bit smoother pedalling but can't really say for sure. However the chain slaps against the bash guard constantly so I'll try removing that next and report back.

high pivot witchcraft
    Setting up my brand spanking new XT Druid today! Thank you mtnbkrmike for this super helpful post!
    I sense this is clothed with sarcasm. I have had some pretty lame posts of late. Apologies to all. COVID has thrown me for a loop. I will try to get my shit together.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    not at all. it's new bike day for me. ill be riding my local trails later today with my shock pump. I have your set up summary post on my phone already.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anybody have enough time on the Ziggy Mullet link to offer an impression/comparison?
    I've had some time on the Ziggy now. The smaller wheel does what one would expect:

1. Quicker/Sharper handling
    2. Better in steep terrain (No Butt Buzz)

I think the best way to look at the Ziggy would be to consider it as a tuning device. Not unlike a flip chip. Something you could tune to the terrain you are riding. I am in the PNW so there is a lot of slow technical riding where the sharper handling/turning is noticable. Also, those with shorter inseams who would be more subject to 29er Butt Buzz would also see a big benefit in steeper terrian. Forbidden has done a nice job of maintaining the geometry of the bike with the Ziggy. I didn't notice anything funky when switching links. Cheers J

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Are significant trade offs?
    Iím 5í4 and have no love for the 29er butt massage. Some technique changes minimize it but the threat is always there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi Fizzywater, thanks for the information. I will remove the DPX2 shock for a check then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    not at all. it's new bike day for me. ill be riding my local trails later today with my shock pump. I have your set up summary post on my phone already.
    Pictures! Was seconds away from getting one of those xt builds, but they sold out of mediums. How does that brown look in real life, I wasn't too sure of it. Also would love to hear your review of the ride.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanc12 View Post
    Pictures! Was seconds away from getting one of those xt builds, but they sold out of mediums. How does that brown look in real life, I wasn't too sure of it. Also would love to hear your review of the ride.
    They still have them at Forbidden's site. Hurry!

I almost missed out on mine. I ended up with the last large matte carbon that was headed to Dustin Adams at We Are One. He agreed to give me his and he took the gloss moss instead. True story.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesDogsBrews View Post
    Are significant trade offs?
    Iím 5í4 and have no love for the 29er butt massage. Some technique changes minimize it but the threat is always there.
    The traction going from 29 to 27.5 is probably the most noticeable trade-off. This can be helped with tire choice. I went from an aluminum 29" wheel to a carbon 27.5 and it was much stiffer. i could get the tire on the aluminum rear rim to buzz my lower chainguide on the 29".

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    They still have them at Forbidden's site. Hurry!

I almost missed out on mine. I ended up with the last large matte carbon that was headed to Dustin Adams at We Are One. He agreed to give me his and he took the gloss moss instead. True story.
    Oh man thanks, just ordered. They were sold out so either they got more in or some people cancelled. Hopefully it gets here before end of the month. Heading to fernie for a few days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Oh man thanks, just ordered. They were sold out so either they got more in or some people cancelled. Hopefully it gets here before end of the month. Heading to fernie for a few days.
    Hold the excitement, just got an email confirming it was a glitch and there are no bikes.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    i could get the tire on the aluminum rear rim to buzz my lower chainguide on the 29".
    yikes. what's the tires clearance like at a standstill? I've been considering a Druid and would be coming off of a Yeti SB150 but my biggest complaint about the 150 is the flexibility of the back end in turns.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The flex, unlike Yeti, was in the wheel. J

mtbr member
    how do u guys think the soon to be announced enduro version will handle? if the trail bike is kicking goals would a bigger all round version be too much?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    how do u guys think the soon to be announced enduro version will handle? if the trail bike is kicking goals would a bigger all round version be too much?
    I havnt ridden the druid yet, but for referrance I currently have a 180/175 travel canyon torque. Which if you use bike parks alot is amazing or the odd big climb. But it's not made for big days in the saddle. Now in saying that ild expect a enduro druid to be pretty nice when pedalling and have a bit of extra cush for descent.
    Someone previously stated 180/160 travel was Forbidden's next bike. To me that's getting back to freeride territory.

high pivot witchcraft
    I think this largely depends on the particular circumstances. Terrain. Age/injuries (some need big cush to help them make it through a ride). And of course, personal preferences (we have seen plenty of multi page threads where people debate the point at which a bike becomes oversprung).

I had a 2015 Range designed by Owen Pemberton. HUGE AS with no idler. I think I kinda know whatís in store, or at least what Owenís idea is as to how this new bike should ride.

Iím good with the Druid but may not be able to resist the new bike. Okay. Letís be realistic. I will likely buy the new one too. I just hope the colours are ok. I am not a fan of the new ones. Much prefer my matte carbon frame. In my opinion, colour wise, Owen nailed it right out of the chute.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Okay. Letís be realistic. I will likely buy the new one too.
    Most factual statement on MTBR

I'd definitely let go of the 27.5 SX frame for a long travel 29 HSP from forbidden. Nothing but a set of hoops, spokes and some lower legs and I'm G2G.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    NBD...!!!!! I went all out with a full custom, dream bike build. The only sacrifice being purchasing the frame used a few weeks prior to Forbidden launching the new colors.

Build List:

Frame:ForbiddenDruid 2019

Fork: Fox2021 Float 36 Factory GRIP2 EVOL 150mm 44mm offset

Rear Suspension:Fox2020 Fox FLOAT X2 Factory

Bars:RenthalRenthal Fatbar Carbon 35 Riser / 10mm rise

Stem:RenthalApex Stem 35mm Stem / 40mm Length

Grips:ErgonGA2 FAT - Black

Brakes: HopeTech E4 - Black

Brake Rotors:Hope180mm / 200mm - Black

Groupset:SRAMSRAM XX1 AXS Eagle Groupset: 170mm Boost 30t DUB Crank, Trigger Shifter, Rear Derailleur, 12 Speed 10-50t Cassette and Chain, Gold

Bottom Bracket:SramDub Bottom Bracket English BSA Thread 73mm

Wheels: Crank Brothers"Synthesis Carbon Enduro 11 Wheelset 29"" Boost ē Industry 9 Hydra ē SRAM XD"

Dropper Post:BikeYoke"Divine185mm31.6mm484mmTriggyblack"

Saddle:ErgonSM Pro Stealth

Pedals:Crank BorthersMallet E - Black

Front Tire:Maxxis"DHF 29"" EXO/TR/WT2.5""3C MaxxTerrafolding60tpiblack

Rear Tire:Maxxis"DHR II 29"" EXO/TR/WT2.4""dualfolding60tpiblack"

Wheel Valves:Muc-Off Tubeless Valve KitGold

Just picked it up today. Will be getting in some rides over the next week and will update with thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    NBD...!!!!! I went all out with a full custom, dream bike build. The only sacrifice being purchasing the frame used a few weeks prior to Forbidden launching the new colors.

Build List:

Frame:ForbiddenDruid 2019

Fork: Fox2021 Float 36 Factory GRIP2 EVOL 150mm 44mm offset

Rear Suspension:Fox2020 Fox FLOAT X2 Factory

Bars:RenthalRenthal Fatbar Carbon 35 Riser / 10mm rise

Stem:RenthalApex Stem 35mm Stem / 40mm Length

Grips:ErgonGA2 FAT - Black

Brakes: HopeTech E4 - Black

Brake Rotors:Hope180mm / 200mm - Black

Groupset:SRAMSRAM XX1 AXS Eagle Groupset: 170mm Boost 30t DUB Crank, Trigger Shifter, Rear Derailleur, 12 Speed 10-50t Cassette and Chain, Gold

Bottom Bracket:SramDub Bottom Bracket English BSA Thread 73mm

Wheels: Crank Brothers"Synthesis Carbon Enduro 11 Wheelset 29"" Boost ē Industry 9 Hydra ē SRAM XD"

Dropper Post:BikeYoke"Divine185mm31.6mm484mmTriggyblack"

Saddle:ErgonSM Pro Stealth

Pedals:Crank BorthersMallet E - Black

Front Tire:Maxxis"DHF 29"" EXO/TR/WT2.5""3C MaxxTerrafolding60tpiblack

Rear Tire:Maxxis"DHR II 29"" EXO/TR/WT2.4""dualfolding60tpiblack"

Wheel Valves:Muc-Off Tubeless Valve KitGold

Just picked it up today. Will be getting in some rides over the next week and will update with thoughts.

Man you didn't hold back on anything. That's sick.

high pivot witchcraft
    Man you didn't hold back on anything. That's sick.
    Agreed. Nicely done.

Word of advice - take a shit ton of pics now while the chain is still gold :-)
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    After the PB review (on Assagais) how does the Druid really pedal, compared to something common please?
    Thx.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I havnt ridden the druid yet, but for referrance I currently have a 180/175 travel canyon torque. Which if you use bike parks alot is amazing or the odd big climb. But it's not made for big days in the saddle. Now in saying that ild expect a enduro druid to be pretty nice when pedalling and have a bit of extra cush for descent.
    Someone previously stated 180/160 travel was Forbidden's next bike. To me that's getting back to freeride territory.
    I have it under pretty good authority the travel is 170 / 154

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    After the PB review (on Assagais) how does the Druid really pedal, compared to something common please?
    Thx.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I want to answer this but I am not entirely sure what the question is. Nor am I familiar with the referenced PB article.

As a general comment, itís a great climber. Probably the best climbing bike I have owned. I am much more shocked by its climbing ability than its downhill prowess. Yeah, it rips on the downs. But I expected that coming in. Sometimes I feel like that bike is motorized on the climbs.

I should add that I am rockin a 2.5/2.4 DHF/DHR2 combo so I didnít go light on the rubber.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Just a quick fyi- Forbiddenís customer service seems awesome.
    I peppered them with a bunch of geo questions, namely what the rear center length would be once the bike was sagged. The rep I was in touch with didnít know off hand, but got Owen Pemberton on it to figure it out.
    That interaction certainly helped me make up my mind to get one when they are back in stock.

For those that care, the rear center for a size small would be ~428mm at the recommended sag (compared to 414 un-sagged).

mtbr member
    I want to answer this but I am not entirely sure what the question is. Nor am I familiar with the referenced PB article.

As a general comment, itís a great climber. Probably the best climbing bike I have owned. I am much more shocked by its climbing ability than its downhill prowess. Yeah, it rips on the downs. But I expected that coming in. Sometimes I feel like that bike is motorized on the climbs.

I should add that I am rockin a 2.5/2.4 DHF/DHR2 combo so I didnít go light on the rubber.
    I think he is trying to get his head around a slow rolling tyre. but if u r worried about that don't go the assegais?

high pivot witchcraft
    I think he is trying to get his head around a slow rolling tyre. but if u r worried about that don't go the assegais?
    Nor Minions. But is this about the tires, the bike, or both?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2. We are working on it!
    Owen: Just something that came to my mind: we all have this wonderful space under the downtube. But to access it, a 4mm allen key is needed. So, why don't you make the a slightly different rubber protector that can be slotted in from the back and fixed with a twist lock (like those that have a slit for a coin to twist) in the front. Like that, it could be opened and closed with ease and make stuff super acessible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    New Druid XT owner. Couple question after first ride.

1. Loud rattling near headtube. Cables?

2. Very twitchy steering. Headset was very tight. Loosening help. First bike with 44mm offset. Maybe the offset?

3. I'm 215lbs started with body weight psi in dpx2. Was about 25% sag. Rear was very stiff hardtail like. 180psi was 35% felt better but still harsh. Never ran a dpx2 with this low of pressure. Normal?

4. 2021 Fox 36 Grip2 didn't feel good. Needs to break in?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    New Druid XT owner. Couple question after first ride.

1. Loud rattling near headtube. Cables?

2. Very twitchy steering. Headset was very tight. Loosening help. First bike with 44mm offset. Maybe the offset?

3. I'm 215lbs started with body weight psi in dpx2. Was about 25% sag. Rear was very stiff hardtail like. 180psi was 35% felt better but still harsh. Never ran a dpx2 with this low of pressure. Normal?

4. 2021 Fox 36 Grip2 didn't feel good. Needs to break in?

First I've all I need photos and your opinion on the brown.

From what I've read the rear shock basically needs the compression opened wide up and add a few clicks to get the ride the way you like it. Make rebound as fast as you can handle.
    For the fork, didn't feal Good? Too harsh? Be worth checking air tokens and what sag you running. Same as shock open it right up and add compression as needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    First I've all I need photos and your opinion on the brown.

From what I've read the rear shock basically needs the compression opened wide up and add a few clicks to get the ride the way you like it. Make rebound as fast as you can handle.
    For the fork, didn't feal Good? Too harsh? Be worth checking air tokens and what sag you running. Same as shock open it right up and add compression as needed.
    The brown is awesome in person. Wanted the purple but totally happy with Mr Brownstone

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    The brown is awesome in person. Wanted the purple but totally happy with Mr Brownstone

Looks sweet, 2asnt sure about it so held off then when I decided too go for it, they were sold out.

For your dpx2, is there any noticeable differance between lockout and open. I have heard of a few people getting dodgy ones over the years. Kinda sounds like your is in the climb position?
    What are your fork settings?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004

that looks like the parking area at Cold Creek

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    that looks like the parking area at Cold Creek
    Yes sir!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Looks sweet, 2asnt sure about it so held off then when I decided too go for it, they were sold out.

For your dpx2, is there any noticeable differance between lockout and open. I have heard of a few people getting dodgy ones over the years. Kinda sounds like your is in the climb position?
    What are your fork settings?
    Yes feels the same to me in all 3 positions. Have a dpx2 on other bike and drastic difference between settings

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast