Forbidden Bike Co Druid - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Off the back...
    @onawave

Not surprisingly, you're going to get a lot of pro-Druid comments here. Enduro Magazine did a review last spring that encapsulated the pros and cons of the Druid nicely. I wouldn't be too hard on your Yeti for being a dentist bike, as the Druid frame costs about the same. Worth it, IMHO.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post

That looks like a stainless steel idler. It looks different from the original one I had that I pooched very quickly, as well as the replacement component I got.
    Hmmm. That looks like it might be a little more Shimano 12spd friendly as well...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well, I only have comparison with the Yeti SB130. Wouldn't call the Yeti overly playful in comparison, I would describe it as racy, efficient. The Druid is a bit shorter in the wheelbase and the suspension is very progressive, the Yeti's is quite linear. The Druid doesn't have a racy character, it is a playful and very potent bike. It rides quite similar to the Transition Smuggler, but is more capable in the rough stuff though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Everyone, I read through this whole forum like a novel over the past two days, often times moving off into video and written review tangents. After consuming as research as possible, I am a believer. Before I buy new, I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone was interested in letting go of a size LARGE Druid frame / build? I am located in Los Angeles.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by C0Mtnbkr View Post
    Hey Everyone, I read through this whole forum like a novel over the past two days, often times moving off into video and written review tangents. After consuming as research as possible, I am a believer. Before I buy new, I wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone was interested in letting go of a size LARGE Druid frame / build? I am located in Los Angeles.
    Name:  IMG_1377.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  63.1 KB

I will give up my toilet paper before my Druid.

Not long ago (maybe a few weeks ago - I have lost track of time post-Covid) I am almost positive Forbidden had large frames in both colours at its site. I see now that both colours are sold out again.

As of right now, Fanatikís site lists them as having one of each colour in stock. Not sure how accurate that is but if you donít mind paying MSRP, you may be able to lock one down if you act soon.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    @onawave

Not surprisingly, you're going to get a lot of pro-Druid comments here. Enduro Magazine did a review last spring that encapsulated the pros and cons of the Druid nicely. I wouldn't be too hard on your Yeti for being a dentist bike, as the Druid frame costs about the same. Worth it, IMHO.
    ha - im cool with the dentist's bike. it still a sick bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Name:  IMG_1377.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  63.1 KB

I will give up my toilet paper before my Druid.

Not long ago (maybe a few weeks ago - I have lost track of time post-Covid) I am almost positive Forbidden had large frames in both colours at its site. I see now that both colours are sold out again.

As of right now, Fanatikís site lists them as having one of each colour in stock. Not sure how accurate that is but if you donít mind paying MSRP, you may be able to lock one down if you act soon.
    Yea, I have been eying the Large Moss frame. Unfortunately, every time I build the bike, I am at $9k+ on Fanatik... I painstakingly priced it piece by piece too but it's pretty much breakeven. Since Forbidden doesn't offer full builds, all I want to do is spec it out ultra high end (dream build status minus AXS) and can't manage to compromise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if anybody is interested in a large black frame pm me.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    if anybody is interested in a large black frame pm me.
    I have sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Who's got a xl frame for sale?

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-962701dc-6639-4cdf-9cb7-115c266ffe15.jpg

After about a year of creeping in this thread here is my Druid! Threw the coil on this week, itís over sprung but I will order a softer SAR spring once this whole Covid thing calms down. Either way stoked on the bike super fun rides like a lot more bike than it is.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupman View Post

After about a year of creeping in this thread here is my Druid! Threw the coil on this week, itís over sprung but I will order a softer SAR spring once this whole Covid thing calms down. Either way stoked on the bike super fun rides like a lot more bike than it is.
    That is one hell of a first post Soupman!

Bravo!

Nice build. We Are Ones. What crank and shock is that?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2017
    That is one hell of a first post Soupman!

Bravo!

Nice build. We Are Ones. What crank and shock is that?
    hope and cane creek double barrel coil right

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by senorbanana View Post
    hope and cane creek double barrel coil right
    Yes sir!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just saw this breakdown of the druid's suspension kinematics: https://youtu.be/7qkBpOfJ4wA

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    For all that I can say, this analysis really hits the nail on the head. I would agree in all aspects.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by teknospeed View Post
    Just saw this breakdown of the druid's suspension kinematics: https://youtu.be/7qkBpOfJ4wA
    Interesting. I have been waiting for PB to feature the Druid in its ďBehind the NumbersĒ pieces, as they hinted that they would be.

This short video nails it except that my Druid is dead silent even in the roughest of chunk. Also, and I seem to be in a minority on this, but I have noticed no increased driveline drag, even when the bearings in the idler shit the bed on me.

One thing that really resonated with me was the observation that under braking the rear end squats slightly. While some may view this as a negative, as the reviewer mentioned, in super steep, technical downs, this is a big plus. As I have mentioned elsewhere in this thread, this is one of its traits that has allowed me to clean sections that have resulted in disaster riding other high end bikes, including some Horst link designs (I still have my smashed Garmin Forerunner from one such incident).
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Hey there fellow riders, I'm new here but I've already read through this entire thread. I've got about 150km on my 2020 Druid I built up in December. I'm looking forward to having some conversation with fellow Druid riders!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    For all that I can say, this analysis really hits the nail on the head. I would agree in all aspects.
    even though this a geeky analysis - it causes all kinds of bike envy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Do you know the torque spec if there is one for the shock bolts? If I want to switch out the coils on rides, I'm looking for the spec on those two bolts if there is one.

Edit: 10nm, found it on the website.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ithinkibrokeit View Post
    Do you know the torque spec if there is one for the shock bolts? If I want to switch out the coils on rides, I'm looking for the spec on those two bolts if there is one.

Edit: 10nm, found it on the website.
    10NM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I get a slight bit of rub on my chainstay protector to the point where it has worn a small groove into it.
    I'm running Shimano 12 speed XT with Race Face 30T ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-3.jpg  

Last edited by Mr.Trailpops; 04-07-2020 at 08:29 AM.

high pivot witchcraft
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/coolest-m...-brands-395435

Right now, everyone seems to love Forbidden as a company, and the Druid as a product.

I am starting to get a little freaked. I sure hope we can make some progress flattening the curve. In my area, the entire 2020 season, or at least a good chunk of it, is starting to look questionable.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member

Right now, everyone seems to love Forbidden as a company, and the Druid as a product.

I am starting to get a little freaked. I sure hope we can make some progress flattening the curve. In my area, the entire 2020 season, or at least a good chunk of it, is starting to look questionable.
    whats your area?

Off the back...

Yah, it's looking like gravel and road in the Calgary area until mid-June or even later. They won't open Parks until social distancing stops, so that's kinda all we'll have. Even then, there is so much snow that we'd be riding sloppy trails until the end of May unless things warm up for an extended period.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just finished up my new build, excited to shred it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8642.jpg  

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-image-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I dont know why the images got messed up like that

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Do you convert this bike to Enduro?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

high pivot witchcraft
    Just finished up my new build, excited to shred it!

Nice. Did you put high gloss Ride Wrap or Invisiframe on your frame? Maybe itís just the pics but the frame looks glossier than mine and the decals look more subdued.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Yah, it's looking like gravel and road in the Calgary area until mid-June or even later. They won't open Parks until social distancing stops, so that's kinda all we'll have. Even then, there is so much snow that we'd be riding sloppy trails until the end of May unless things warm up for an extended period.
    What pinkrobe and I were greeted with this morning...

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_1459.jpg

With the pandemic, the price of a barrel of oil costing less than a latte and now this unprecedented extension of winter into spring months, I am starting to wonder whether the gods, Mother Nature or whatever higher beings there are out there, are super pissed at all of us for something we have collectively done...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Nice. Did you put high gloss Ride Wrap or Invisiframe on your frame? Maybe itís just the pics but the frame looks glossier than mine and the decals look more subdued.
    The downtube has gloss, but the rest is still matte ridewrap, maybe the photo did something?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by EV07 View Post
    Hey Druid gang

I've been following this thread for quite some time.I recently sold my previous bike (Pivot FB29),which was great but a bit too much for my riding most of the time.

I've narrowed down my choices for my next bike between the Druid and SC HT2.

Have to say i like the Druid more in general but i have some concerns about sizing.

I'm 184cm tall (84cm inseam),according to company's size chart i'm for a Large frame.Looking at geo numbers tho i'm wondering if the bike's gonna feel a bit cramped.

I don't like using long stems (40-45mm stem is my choice).

XL on the other hand is a bit long for my liking (485 reach,1263 wheelbase ect..).

Any feedback from guys my height on a Large?

I've read also about some shifting issues and chain rubbing on the seatstay when using smaller cogs (planning to use a 12s Shimano 10-51 cassette).Have those issues been addressed for you?

Also how's the customer service has been for you?Bit skeptical on this as well (considering SC customer service has been stellar for most ppl i know and for me personally in the past).

Sorry if asking too much but there's really no chance of demoing a Druid where i live,i have to go blind on this.

Thanks in advance guys

Hey, So Im 183 cm on a large druid, and while i didnt testride the HT2, I did testride the Megatower in a large. Despite the numbers on paper, the druid feels a fair bit bigger. The MT was just a hair to small for me, and the druid fits like a glove. Im running a 50mm stem slammed with a one up 35mm bar. I may downsize to a 40 or 45mm stem, but will wait a season to really get comfortable with it first.

While I really like the fit, i should say I prefer somewhat shorter bikes than the industry is telling us fit right now. I was on a large chromag stylus last year and while it is super stable for straightline stuff, it was just too long for being an all round bike for me. I also demoed the new norco sight in a large and again, it felt too long. If i were more into as fast as possible descending in gnarly terrain I might have gone with the sight, but being a bit older this is a much better all rounder.

Re the rubbing, it rubs in the 10 tooth sprocket. It feels like this might clear if I reglue to chainstay protector down (forbiddens suggesiton) as some had air pockets when installed. Forbidden sent me a new chainstay protector super quickly, but as I never use the 10 tooth, im keeping it for when i bag the existing one.

At 184cm, you will probably be ok provided you prefer bike on the shorter side of industry trends, though if you want something longer you might want to go XL or for something else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    FWIW I was trying to decide HT2 vs Druid vs Ripmo myself and am quite happy I went druid. At your size, I would def recommend skipping the HT2, I like a shorter bike and it was too short. Id be looking at Ripmo2 or druid if you dont want to go XL or something super long (aka norco sight2). I sat on a ripmo1 before getting the druid and in a parking lot it felt a bit longer. I also parking lotted a large evil offering and it felt too long for me.

Re CS they were a bit shit at getting back to me at first (pre purchase), but it seems like they heard some feedback and my subsequent experiences trying to get in touch have been excellent. Same thing happened to WER1 (which i cant recommend enough), at first they didnt have capacity for CS, but they heard criticism and have responded awesomely.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrantorser View Post
    FWIW I was trying to decide HT2 vs Druid vs Ripmo myself and am quite happy I went druid. At your size, I would def recommend skipping the HT2, I like a shorter bike and it was too short. Id be looking at Ripmo2 or druid if you dont want to go XL or something super long (aka norco sight2). I sat on a ripmo1 before getting the druid and in a parking lot it felt a bit longer. I also parking lotted a large evil offering and it felt too long for me.

Re CS they were a bit shit at getting back to me at first (pre-purchase), but it seems like they heard some feedback and my subsequent experiences trying to get in touch have been excellent. Same thing happened to WER1 (which I can't recommend enough), at first they didnt have capacity for CS, but they heard criticism and have responded awesomely.
    I am 6ft, I got a large, 40mm stem. I like to ride playful throwable bikes and this one is extremely good at in air control yet stable during the fast parts. I seem to like the large, but if you like riding "in the bike" more maybe an xl with a super short stem would work? Hard to recommend when we all have different opinions on what kind of bike we would want. I am having some slow shifts going into the smaller gears for the last 2-3 gears. does anyone have any tips?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    So after running my fork at 160 for a bit I am going back to the standard 150. I am basically running the same pressure at 160 now and only using it like a 150 but it slackens the seat tube too much for climbing, also Rockshox just released a new air spring that rides higher in the travel so the 150 will perform better. I'm going to run a 1 degree works angleset because the slacker head angle made the bike way more confident and balanced with how good the rear end is. The angleset will steepen the seat tube a little more too which is a good thing, really wish this bike had a 77 degree seat tube angle at the minimum.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Does anyone have any tips to prevent the chain from rubbing the frame when in the smallest gear? I am running X01 eagle with a 32t chainring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    I picked up the bike and am very excited to take it out. I do notice the chain resting on the stay protector on the smallest cog, but overall I'm very happy.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-dscf0875.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-dscf0883.jpgForbidden Bike Co Druid-dscf0885-2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    looking sick! you will be blown away

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A quick update on my Druid going into its second season. I disassembled the entire linkage over the winter and found it very easy to work on! I also installed the V2 idler pulley which is wearing much better than the V1.

I also just recently installed a set of WeAreOne Faction rims laced to I9 Hydras. These wheels are the real deal and with Dumonde Tech grease are basically silent. I don't think I would ever go back to the Torches! The Push 11/6 is a new addition as well and for mtnbkrmike I'm 210lbs and my shock came with a 475# spring.

With no tube in tube cable routing on this frame I decided to install Jagwire housing damper on the dropper, rear brake, and derailleur housings. Took about 2 hours and was frustrating at times but the end result was worth it, a rattle free ride! (https://jagwire.com/products/small-p...housing-damper)

Between the decrease in hub noise and random rattles, the overall drivetrain noise seems to be slightly louder when just pedaling along. Most if the chain noise seems to be coming from the idler pulley. I did install a new Wheels Manufacturing BB to replace the Raceface one so my crank spacing may just be slightly different than before. I'm wondering if using .5mm spacers and adjusting the chainline between the chainring and idler ever so slightly would decrease the noise if its directly in line?

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_5841.jpg
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_5843.jpg

mtbr member
    @Mgrantorser

Thanks for the info man,appreciate it!

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Large,super stoked on this but sadly i have to wait till early summer to get the frame..

Start gathering the rest of the parts now..

Out of curiosity,what dropper post length are you running guys?Thinking about a 210mm Oneup for my L. Wondering how it'll fit..

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Word around the campfire is their enduro long travel model is due at the end of the year.

Fingers crossed its as good as this one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    If anyone feels like their bike is sluggish while climbing. I kept adding air pressure to make my bike feel more efficient, the odd thing is that the firmer I went the more sluggish the bike felt. I dropped the sag to more around 32/33 percent from the 28 percent I was at and it has climbed much more efficient with less bob. This is super weird to me but I have pretty consistent strava climbing times to back it up. My legs have also felt less taxed with the lower pressure. Maybe it has something to do with the rearward axle path, who knows?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRCD47 View Post
    If anyone feels like their bike is sluggish while climbing. I kept adding air pressure to make my bike feel more efficient, the odd thing is that the firmer I went the more sluggish the bike felt. I dropped the sag to more around 32/33 percent from the 28 percent I was at and it has climbed much more efficient with less bob. This is super weird to me but I have pretty consistent strava climbing times to back it up. My legs have also felt less taxed with the lower pressure. Maybe it has something to do with the rearward axle path, who knows?

Interesting....I've been on my druid now for about 6 weeks. I kept thinking the same thing. I've gone from air pressure of like 170psi to 206psi. More or less I've been just messing around with it. My riding weight is about 164-172lbs (depending on the day). I've put a few 4000ft climb days in and kept thinking its a bit sluggish. I have started to think it was something to do rearward path as well. I'll try increasing the sag and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @Mgrantorser

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Large,super stoked on this but sadly i have to wait till early summer to get the frame..

Out of curiosity,what dropper post length are you running guys?Thinking about a 210mm Oneup for my L. Wondering how it'll fit..
    I had my old 170 Reverb fitted and have just fitted a new 210 One Up Dropper and it fits spot on for me at 5 foot 10.

Can get a pic if you want?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey everyone, long time member but never had much to add. Till now. Perfect Squamish bike in quiver of 3 (Chromag Rootdown and Devinci Hatchet)
    My medium druid. This is easily one of the most capable bikes I've ever owned. Handles the chunk with grace and ease and can't get over how supportive and stable it feels in flat or counter graded corners. Here's my basic specs
    Fox Factory 36 w/ Vorsprung Smashpot, full XO, Guide RSC, One up dropper, pedals, handlebar, 70c EDC pump and oval ring, carbon sram cranks, DT 1501 w/ Assegai and Aggressor.

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_20200403_160045_835.jpg

Off the back...
    @Mgrantorser

I'm 5'10" and use the 210 OneUp dropper with no issues on a large frame. With the included pins you can limit travel to as little as 190mm if it's too tall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm 5'6"(on my toes). 150mm V2

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Im 6' 180 V2 on a large, I have a whole inch of post still, so 210 will def work

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    May have an opportunity for someone wanting to buy a Large Druid. I have really loved my Druid but as a guy stuck between sizes I think I ultimatley need a Medium size frame. I love the large but on longer rides my back cramps up so much from being bent over, rode my brothers medium frame and made up my mind. Not sure how much I want to go through shipping it, im located in the Norcal/Sacramento area. Have a friend interested in it but want to check here as well. Frame and Shock only, it has an X2.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input regarding dropper post length guys!

Guess the 210 option will be fine.I had a BikeYoke Revive 185mm on my previous bike (FB29) which was great but i wouldn't mind a little more.As i see the Druid has a slightly shorter ST (450) compared to FB (457).

@_HENDO_ If you like to post a pic man,that would be great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    May have an opportunity for someone wanting to buy a Large Druid. I have really loved my Druid but as a guy stuck between sizes I think I ultimatley need a Medium size frame. I love the large but on longer rides my back cramps up so much from being bent over, rode my brothers medium frame and made up my mind. Not sure how much I want to go through shipping it, im located in the Norcal/Sacramento area. Have a friend interested in it but want to check here as well. Frame and Shock only, it has an X2.
    Color? Pics? Price? May be interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Large Frame Posted on Pinkbike. $2200 with Fox X2. $2000 for frame only, prefer to have local, buyer pays shipping.

mtbr member
    nice review from march 30th. reviewer took it to queenstown.

https://fortheriders.com/blogs/news/...SwTu-b_QeYZQ5g

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Looking for a 210x55 DPX2, any of the druid riders have a take off they want to sell?

Robertson
    Looking for a 210x55 DPX2, any of the druid riders have a take off they want to sell?
    I got ya. Shoot me a message.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So I did my first tear down after 3 1/2 weeks and noticed the idler bearing was shot. Disappointing to say the least. Replaced and as I was putting back together, I tightened to 10 lbs and the bearing is seizing with the front retaining plate. Like its missing a spacer but none noted in schematics.
    Upon further playing as I feel there is far too much chain drag, I removed the e13 bash guard and found it freed up a tonne of drag.
    Anyone experience this? Waiting to hear back from Forbidden about replacing idler set up...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

I'm at 40% dynamic sag. Feels great. Not felt a bottom out yet and climbs very well.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    wow, Im running 30% on a float x2 and I feel bottom at least once a ride, gonna add a volume spacer

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    wow, Im running 30% on a float x2 and I feel bottom at least once a ride, gonna add a volume spacer
    Different shocks. I'm on the stock DPX2 which has a much smaller air can so will ramp a lot more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for your input regarding dropper post length guys!

Guess the 210 option will be fine.I had a BikeYoke Revive 185mm on my previous bike (FB29) which was great but i wouldn't mind a little more.As i see the Druid has a slightly shorter ST (450) compared to FB (457).

@_HENDO_ If you like to post a pic man,that would be great!
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_5544.jpg

That's as low as it'll go in on my large frame. It's the newest version of the One Up dropper that's fitted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by _HENDO_ View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5544.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	342.8 KB 
ID:	1325881

That's as low as it'll go in the frame. It's the newest version of the One Up dropper that's fitted.
    I have the XL and the 210mm Oneup and it does fit all the way to the collar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I have been running the Fox 30mm Roller bearing mount in my X2, I wonder if that hurts the pedaling ability, I actually get a decent amount of pedal bob when climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by renbuskeh View Post
    So I did my first tear down after 3 1/2 weeks and noticed the idler bearing was shot. Disappointing to say the least. Replaced and as I was putting back together, I tightened to 10 lbs and the bearing is seizing with the front retaining plate. Like its missing a spacer but none noted in schematics.
    Upon further playing as I feel there is far too much chain drag, I removed the e13 bash guard and found it freed up a tonne of drag.
    Anyone experience this? Waiting to hear back from Forbidden about replacing idler set up...
    The spec for the torque is 10 NM or 7.3 ft./lbs. not 10 ft./lbs. J

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have been running the Fox 30mm Roller bearing mount in my X2, I wonder if that hurts the pedaling ability, I actually get a decent amount of pedal bob when climbing.
    That's interesting, I wonder if that's the combination of bigger air can and bearings? Have you tried adding LSC? I only have a few clicks from full open on the DPX2 but can't really compare that to the X2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by danlovesbikes View Post
    That's interesting, I wonder if that's the combination of bigger air can and bearings? Have you tried adding LSC? I only have a few clicks from full open on the DPX2 but can't really compare that to the X2.
    Im running a ton of LSC, im 13 clicks out on LSC and 16-17 on HSC, usually its the other way around. I may add a token and run it deeper, it pedals better at 32 percent sag than 28. Im going to put the DPX2 back on this week and see how it does, I am a slow climber so I want it as effiecient as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks. Thats what I meant. Anything over half of that still binds the idler between the front cap and the idler itself...
    Seems to only spin freely when I hand tighten and back off a full 1/4 turn.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by renbuskeh View Post
    Thanks. Thats what I meant. Anything over half of that still binds the idler between the front cap and the idler itself...
    Seems to only spin freely when I hand tighten and back off a full 1/4 turn.
    The only other thing I would double check is that the bearing was pushed in dead straight. If not, it would bind easily. J

mtbr member
    can anyone comment on their frame warranty? ie what do forbidden offer? has anyone had to send anything back? if so - what was the experience like?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    15 hours later and my idler bearing is crunching and not spinning freely. I stopped by Fanatik so they could replace it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have been in communication with Forbidden and they are replacing my idler w/ the V2.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    How did you end up contacting them? I'll try to reach out to them too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm experiencing a smallish clunking noise/feeling in my drivetrain. At first I thought it was a loose crank arm, (that's kinda the feeling/noise that it's making) I had the bike in the shop the other day, and the Mechanic checked the crank arms and they were tightened to spec (52nm)
    I notice it most when i am climbing, and put down a bit of power, If i back off a bit it feels like it goes away, and does not happen in sync with my pedal strokes.

I took the crank off last night and checked the chainring bolts (reinstalled crank to spec) checked the upper pulley(I replaced the pulley bearing from the start) pulled the cassette off and reinstalled it, (XO eagle) checked suspension linkage bolts, re torqued pedals (checked for play in the pedal) checked derailleur bolt and pulleys.

Has anyone had this feeling in their bike? my guess was somewhere in the drivetrain, but it could be the linkage.
    The bike is like new, only 5-6 rides on it, I wasn't getting this feeling from the start, it just started happening last ride.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Yeti 5.5 Turq,Evil The Following MB, Chromag Primer, Evil The Offering

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by onawave View Post
    can anyone comment on their frame warranty? ie what do forbidden offer? has anyone had to send anything back? if so - what was the experience like?
    I had to do a crash replacement for my front triangle. Pricing was very reasonable and they were quick to get it out to me

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmag76 View Post
    I'm experiencing a smallish clunking noise/feeling in my drivetrain. At first I thought it was a loose crank arm, (that's kinda the feeling/noise that it's making) I had the bike in the shop the other day, and the Mechanic checked the crank arms and they were tightened to spec (52nm)
    I notice it most when i am climbing, and put down a bit of power, If i back off a bit it feels like it goes away, and does not happen in sync with my pedal strokes.

I took the crank off last night and checked the chainring bolts (reinstalled crank to spec) checked the upper pulley(I replaced the pulley bearing from the start) pulled the cassette off and reinstalled it, (XO eagle) checked suspension linkage bolts, re torqued pedals (checked for play in the pedal) checked derailleur bolt and pulleys.

Has anyone had this feeling in their bike? my guess was somewhere in the drivetrain, but it could be the linkage.
    The bike is like new, only 5-6 rides on it, I wasn't getting this feeling from the start, it just started happening last ride.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hmmmm.. clunking is an odd sound if it is only generated when climbing. Is it a noise or a sensation at the pedals? Did you have a new rear wheel on the bike? The rear hub could be a culprit if it has not been servicing recently and the pawls may not be engaging properly. J

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The normal weird sounds I get when climbing are creak, creak ......... gasp........... creak, creak............ gasp, F...... . Topped off with the most annoying SRAM upper jockey wheel misalignment rattle. J

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Its not only generated when climbing, but i feel it the most. Its as soon as its under some power. Its more of a sensation i can feel through crank arm/pedals, but you can hear it if i get into a rhythmic pedaling cadence.
    For the most part I know my way around a bike. but i'm kinda stumped with this...

I'll take it out for a ride today after going through what i listed above, and see how things go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Haha. yeah that sounds kinda normal!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So during the ride today, the bike continued to make this noise/have the feeling of a loose crank.
    I brought the bike to my LBS after the ride and the tech found the same issue.
    He also pulled everything apart, and found heavy wear on the inside of idler pulley, so much so that he had to file the access rolled aluminum down.
    So the theory is that my XX1 chain is not meshing very well with the pulley teeth. The chain sits high on the teeth, and when I put some power down it pulls the chain down further into the teeth, causing the "clunking noise/feeling"

I do hope we have found the problem! not so impressed with the amount of wear on something that has been used 8-10 hours. The riding season hasn't even gotten hard yet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So during the ride today, the bike continued to make this noise/have the feeling of a loose crank.
    He also pulled everything apart, and found heavy wear on the inside of idler pulley, so much so that he had to file the access rolled aluminum down.
    So the theory is that my XX1 chain is not meshing very well with the pulley teeth. The chain sits high on the teeth, and when I put some power down it pulls the chain down further into the teeth, causing the "clunking noise/feeling"

I do hope we have found the problem! not so impressed with the amount of wear on something that has been used 8-10 hours. The riding season hasn't even gotten hard yet!
    Funny that you mention this issue, I've had a similar problem where I feel a sensation through the cranks when pedaling. Sometimes I feel it and sometimes I don't. I keep checking the cranks or chainring as it feels the same as when they start coming loose. I was also going to swap the pedals and see if that resolved the problem.

I'm assuming your on the new V2 idler pulley? I just put my replacement on about 5 rides ago and I'm also on an XX1 chain. I will check my idler pulley to see if I have similar issues, check back with what you find out. This issue would make sense to lead back to the pulley teeth as I've had similar issues with a Wolftooth ring and the teeth "catching" the chain in one spot causing the same feeling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anyone on here that is a speed focused rider find a good sweet spot for the LSC on the DPX2?? Im switching back to it and was going to start 2 clicks from open

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    For me the clunkning noise came from DUB driveside bottom bracket was loose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Has anyone here dug into the Deviante Highlander? I ride an Evil Wreckoning now and really hoping to swap everything over to an high pivot frame soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    Has anyone here dug into the Deviante Highlander? I ride an Evil Wreckoning now and really hoping to swap everything over to an high pivot frame soon.
    A friend of mine had the original version of the Deviate.
    He said it rode amazing, but only when it worked. Which wasn't very often sadly. He's gone back to riding his Yeti now.

However the new Highlander is meant to have dealt with all the issues by having better integration, reliability and longevity of parts etc. so should be a much better bike and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    A friend of mine had the original version of the Deviate.
    He said it rode amazing, but only when it worked. Which wasn't very often sadly. He's gone back to riding his Yeti now.

However the new Highlander is meant to have dealt with all the issues by having better integration, reliability and longevity of parts etc. so should be a much better bike and ride!
    What didnt work? Mines been perfect, ordered a highlander too, as have a few others, here... https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/d...s-1130851.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Similar issue here. Iím on a 11spd Shimano chain and 130 miles on the bike to date. Just checked the drivetrain for wear and found similar issues. I didnít feel or hear the same slipping of chain like you but was trying to chase down apparent drivetrain drag. The idler seems to be very sensitive to the amount of torque on the bolt. I found I had to loctite the bolt with minimal torque to reduce drag. I tried various thin shims to space out the caps from the bearing but went back to to stock setup with none. On a side note the roller on the lower chain guide is also very sensitive to over torquing as well. Iíve got it all pretty smooth for now but the wear on the idler did give me pause. Hoping the SS idler is in the works and would certainly grab one once available. Aside from these issues Iím loving the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
    What didnt work? Mines been perfect, ordered a highlander too, as have a few others, here... https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/d...s-1130851.html
    I'm sure your's was fine. He had one of the very first versions (possibly a prototype?) as he knew the guys that designed/made them.

Was drivetrain issues with the idler and shock mount alignment I think.

The Highlander looks like a much more refined product now so I doubt it would have only of those issues!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does anyone have information as to when Forbidden will make an announcement for their 2020 lineup? Colors, pricing, full bike build, etc?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Finally got around to building mine (health and rear wheel issues) and I know you need to add a few extra links. With a XL is it still 4 links to give you a grand total of 130.

Thanks,

dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    So after running coil and an X2, im back on the DPX2, much easier pedaling on climbs, as well as sprinting on punchy sections. I actually PRd a few -20 to -30% grade trails with the stock shock this morning and it was a bit more fun knowing it would climb a bit easier to get back to the top. Im 170 lbs running 170 psi, stock token, -11 rebound, and 4 clicks of LSC from open. May take out a few psi and add another click of LSC, plenty of small bump compliance so far. Sometimes upgrading bikes is great but the way they come out of the box is often times the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So after running coil and an X2, im back on the DPX2, much easier pedaling on climbs, as well as sprinting on punchy sections. I actually PRd a few -20 to -30% grade trails with the stock shock this morning and it was a bit more fun knowing it would climb a bit easier to get back to the top. Im 170 lbs running 170 psi, stock token, -11 rebound, and 4 clicks of LSC from open. May take out a few psi and add another click of LSC, plenty of small bump compliance so far. Sometimes upgrading bikes is great but the way they come out of the box is often times the best.
    That's interesting...My riding weight is 170lbs and I'm running 194psi in the back....I think I'm going to try bumping it a bit lower.

I'm going to coil soon...either EXT or Bomber CR w/ ava tune.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmrmusic26 View Post
    That's interesting...My riding weight is 170lbs and I'm running 194psi in the back....I think I'm going to try bumping it a bit lower.

I'm going to coil soon...either EXT or Bomber CR w/ ava tune.
    Try my settings before you do that maybe? I wasted a lot of money doing a coil, but if you ride a lot of super gnarly stuff then maybe yeah. The bike sticks to the ground so much with the coil I was trying to liven up the ride a ton. I ride pretty gnarly stuff most the time too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Try my settings before you do that maybe? I wasted a lot of money doing a coil, but if you ride a lot of super gnarly stuff then maybe yeah. The bike sticks to the ground so much with the coil I was trying to liven up the ride a ton. I ride pretty gnarly stuff most the time too.
    For sure, going to do some pretty chunky trails this weekend. I'll run both settings a report back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Itís interesting everyoneís take on shocks with the ferb. I went from a DPX2 to a ccdb coil cs and canít imagine going back. Due to the more composed manor I find the shock and bike feel. Great to hear you are loving the stock option though!

mtbr member
    i think this depends on how you like to ride your bikes. after going coil - i wouldnt go back and serisouly considering a push 11-6. that feeling of being planted is amazing.

high pivot witchcraft
    Sometimes upgrading bikes is great but the way they come out of the box is often times the best.
    We all owe you for having tested every available suspension option on that bike
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Confused? Brother, I am so lost, that someone is going to have to give me a ride home.
    Funny, I have tested everything thats forsure, need to learn somehow. I almost have you beaten for most posts made, I need more things to test.

high pivot witchcraft
    Funny, I have tested everything thats forsure, need to learn somehow. I almost have you beaten for most posts made, I need more things to test.

Hahahahaha! Keep it going!

Cheers man. I too have dropped a metric shit tonne on this bike. Thank Christ it's as awesome as it is.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    Got my v2 Shimano-12-speed-friendly idler coming from FBC. I can't lie - y'all got me worried about idler bearings now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    For sure, going to do some pretty chunky trails this weekend. I'll run both settings a report back!
    Well, my report back is... I did a run at 195 psi, then 185 psi and then 180 psi. I did tweak the rebound some but I'd say the best run i had was at 185 psi. My riding weight was up today i wore a pack. I was at 205psi originally....thinking i needed to add pressure to solve the issue. Turns out I was wrong......bike felt pretty amazing on I guess you could call double black diamond trails at 185 psi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Well, my report back is... I did a run at 195 psi, then 185 psi and then 180 psi. I did tweak the rebound some but I'd say the best run i had was at 185 psi. My riding weight was up today i wore a pack. I was at 205psi originally....thinking i needed to add pressure to solve the issue. Turns out I was wrong......bike felt pretty amazing on I guess you could call double black diamond trails at 185 psi.
    Its super weird, never experienced it on another bike, it will climb better deeper too. I went all the way to 35 percent sag which is 5psi under my kitted body weight this morning, and it was great, so composed. May need to add a token or some compression at this pressure to keep pedaling platform but the geo feels good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm sure your's was fine. He had one of the very first versions (possibly a prototype?) as he knew the guys that designed/made them.

Was drivetrain issues with the idler and shock mount alignment I think.

The Highlander looks like a much more refined product now so I doubt it would have only of those issues!
    Guess that's why they do prototypes... Zero issues with those on my Guide.

high pivot witchcraft
    I have finally been able to throw a leg over my revamped Druid. In January I got quite a bit of work done on it, including installation of a last gen 11-6, a GRIP2 damper and Luftkappe in my 36.

Only some very mild, in town dirt riding but so far, here are my impressions:

1. I have a large frame. I am 5í10Ē tall. After riding my Kona Unit throughout the winter and pre-Covid spring, my Druid feels like a kidís bike. Itís a very small Large, as far as I am concerned (although my Honzo and Unit are pretty roomy Larges).

2. The 11-6 feels exactly like I knew it would which, in a word, is spectacular. That bike is going to be a rocket this year. I am going to have to be careful to keep things reigned in speed-wise, or I am going to wrap myself around a tree.

3. The GRIP2 damper is a LOT freeer moving than the FIT4. Worlds apart.

4. With the Luftkappe, my front end sits a noticeable amount lower in the travel. It took me some getting used to. While I expect that I will be rewarded with some very plush small bump compliance, I hope I donít eat shit on any of the technical downs. I suspect I lost a bit of slackness in my HTA - the Druid is not all that slack to begin with. I have a 150 on there. I would never run a Luftkappe with a 140. Well, I wouldn't run a 140 to begin with, but NEVER with a Luftkappe. 150 with the Luftkappe may end up being a tad sphincter tightening in the gnar.

5. I know I am going to love the 11-6 and GRIP2 damper. Not so sure about the Luftkappe. Given the need to choose, I would take geo over plushness 10 times out of 10. I will have to see once I am finally able to get some solid dirt in.

Thankfully, the Luftkappe cost next to nothing so I donít mind ripping it out if I am not happy with the lowered front end.

Other smaller points...

My front wheel has finally stopped squeaking after the blown bearings in my 240 hub were replaced.

The second gen idler feels no different in terms of resistance than the original one (which also met an early death from blown bearings). I notice no no more resistance whatsoever with the Druidís high single pivot design, than with any of my other bikes with conventional drive lines. Lucky me!!!

My 36 tooth star ratchet sounds much meaner than last year. I think some of the lube in there has finally dissipated. I think it was overlubed initially, because it was very quiet compared to my Honzo (also with a 36 tooth star ratchet). I was worried about that because I have heard from many that overlubing those ratchets can lead to their early death.

As for my comments regarding the Druidís size, itís definitely the right size for me. I am not worried about that. I lived on my Unit this winter and spring and like I said, itís a big effin large, relatively speaking. I just wasnít used to the Druidís dimensions at first.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I dont know, I have a XL Bronson and a large druid, I am 6ft and I ride UCSC trails and I think I prefer the playful nature of the smaller size on my druid than the stable XL.

mtbr member
    I have finally been able to throw a leg over my revamped Druid. In January I got quite a bit of work done on it, including installation of a last gen 11-6, a GRIP2 damper and Luftkappe in my 36.

Only some very mild, in town dirt riding but so far, here are my impressions:

1. I have a large frame. I am 5í10Ē tall. After riding my Kona Unit throughout the winter and pre-Covid spring, my Druid feels like a kidís bike. Itís a very small Large, as far as I am concerned (although my Honzo and Unit are pretty roomy Larges).

2. The 11-6 feels exactly like I knew it would which, in a word, is spectacular. That bike is going to be a rocket this year. I am going to have to be careful to keep things reigned in speed-wise, or I am going to wrap myself around a tree.

3. The GRIP2 damper is a LOT freeer moving than the FIT4. Worlds apart.

4. With the Luftkappe, my front end sits a noticeable amount lower in the travel. It took me some getting used to. While I expect that I will be rewarded with some very plush small bump compliance, I hope I donít eat shit on any of the technical downs. I suspect I lost a bit of slackness in my HTA - the Druid is not all that slack to begin with. I have a 150 on there. I would never run a Luftkappe with a 140. Well, I wouldn't run a 140 to begin with, but NEVER with a Luftkappe. 150 with the Luftkappe may end up being a tad sphincter tightening in the gnar.

5. I know I am going to love the 11-6 and GRIP2 damper. Not so sure about the Luftkappe. Given the need to choose, I would take geo over plushness 10 times out of 10. I will have to see once I am finally able to get some solid dirt in.

Thankfully, the Luftkappe cost next to nothing so I donít mind ripping it out if I am not happy with the lowered front end.

Other smaller points...

My front wheel has finally stopped squeaking after the blown bearings in my 240 hub were replaced.

The second gen idler feels no different than the original one, also with blown bearings.

My 36 tooth star ratchet sounds much meaner than last year. I think some of the lube in there has finally dissipated. I think it was overlubed initially, because it was very quiet compared to my Honzo (also with a 36 tooth star ratchet). I was worried about that because I have heard from many that overlubing those ratchets can lead to early death.

As for my comments regarding the Druidís size, itís definitely the right size for me. I am not worried about that. I lived on my Unit this winter and spring and like I said, itís a big effin large, relatively speaking. I wasnít used to the Druidís dimensions at first.
    Why did you go with the luftkappe over the smashpot? from the sounds of it the smashpot would be much more suited to your style of riding.

high pivot witchcraft
    Why did you go with the luftkappe over the smashpot? from the sounds of it the smashpot would be much more suited to your style of riding.
    I went with what my LBS suggested. The dude there is a suspension expert. That is how he got started with his shop. He is now a Forbidden dealer. He rides a Druid, and he shreds a LOT harder than I could ever hope to. He is a very intelligent guy who knows his shit, and is dialled into the local terrain. I 100% trust his judgment.

No big deal though. Nothing is ever necessarily written in stone. Just ask AKRCD47
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I went with what my LBS suggested. The dude there is a suspension expert. That is how he got started with his shop. He is now a Forbidden dealer. He rides a Druid, and he shreds a LOT harder than I could ever hope to. He is a very intelligent guy who knows his shit, and is dialled into the local terrain. I 100% trust his judgment.

No big deal though. Nothing is ever necessarily written in stone. Just ask AKRCD47
    would be good to understand why he recommends this. i put the smashpot in my 150 - and wouldnt go back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Yeah, when you try stuff its sometimes good to go back and forth a few times. I race cars professionally, and whenever we make a bunch if changes we always go back to stock at the end of the day to confirm.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Steve Vorsprung makes good stuff. If you want to have a laugh check out his latest Tuesday Tune Video (Pinkbike or his Youtube) on pedal kickback. Most of his vids affect me the same. About halfway through my brain starts melting. But on this one when it started outside I was thinking to myself Steve must of got a stylist or a new girlfriend. He was looking pretty hollywood. Nice hair, jacket.... wierd. And then around 5:50ish the vid heads indoors to the madman's whiteboard. This is when the hair gel must of had a failure. Enjoy J

high pivot witchcraft
    would be good to understand why he recommends this. i put the smashpot in my 150 - and wouldnt go back.
    Well I think this was one of the reasons why he suggested it - because you CANíT go back. The coil makeover option is irreversible.

I did a very informal little poll on here. In the responses I got (in the thread and by way of PM), most agreed that GRIP2 + Luftkappe was the way to go.

All that said, I am going to email him and ask what his thought process was. I need to touch base with him on something else anyway.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    Steve Vorsprung makes good stuff. If you want to have a laugh check out his latest Tuesday Tune Video (Pinkbike or his Youtube) on pedal kickback. Most of his vids affect me the same. About halfway through my brain starts melting. But on this one when it started outside I was thinking to myself Steve must of got a stylist or a new girlfriend. He was looking pretty hollywood. Nice hair, jacket.... wierd. And then around 5:50ish the vid heads indoors to the madman's whiteboard. This is when the hair gel must of had a failure. Enjoy J
    yeah, the smashpot has better reviews than the puhs version of the same product. he absolutely seems to know his stuff.

mtbr member
    Well I think this was one of the reasons why he suggested it - because you CANíT go back. The coil makeover option is irreversible.

I did a very informal little poll on here. In the responses I got (in the thread and by way of PM), most agreed that GRIP2 + Luftkappe was the way to go.

All that said, I am going to email him and ask what his thought process was. I need to touch base with him on something else anyway.
    %100 you loose your grip two. but the proper spring in the front in amazeballs. once vorsprung release their smashpot for the 38 it will probably get one. hopefully around the same time forbidden release their long travel bike.

may i ask what bike you had before the druid? and if you can give a comparison?

just would be interesting to see why he recommend it.

high pivot witchcraft
    %100 you loose your grip two. but the proper spring in the front in amazeballs. once vorsprung release their smashpot for the 38 it will probably get one. hopefully around the same time forbidden release their long travel bike.

may i ask what bike you had before the druid? and if you can give a comparison?

just would be interesting to see why he recommend it.
    Sure. This is my third Owen Pemberton creation. My last bike was a Norco Sight and the one before that, a Norco Range.

I will let you know what he says. I consider him to be one of the better riders in my area. Maybe he thought I wouldn't push the Smashpot hard enough? Not sure. That said, he rides a 36 with a GRIP2 as well, but no Luftkappe. He does not like the drop in travel/increase in HTA from the Luftkappe. But like I said, as much as it kinda hurts to say it (twice now), he is a significantly more aggressive rider than me.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Robertson
    Mike, are you running the same pressure in the fork pre/post Luftkappe? If so that's why you're getting some travel suckdown. With the luftkappe's increase in neg spring you can/should run higher air pressure for support while still having more plush initial travel. Run based on on-trail feel, not sag

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Mike, are you running the same pressure in the fork pre/post Luftkappe? If so that's why you're getting some travel suckdown. With the luftkappe's increase in neg spring you can/should run higher air pressure for support while still having more plush initial travel. Run based on on-trail feel, not sag
    Thanks. I am running it about 10 PSI higher now, but I am going to try adding another 5 psi or so. Itís incredibly plush. Iím pretty sure I can add a lot more than that if I have to, without sacrificing its small bump compliance.

Waiting patiently to get it out on some legit terrain. I suspect my mind is going to be fully blown.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I went from a luftkappe 36 to a Smashpot. Same or better small bump sensitivity but the coil holds the fork up better in the midtroke so maintains the geo on descents better. Plus with the luftkappe the fork felt a bit spikey at the end of travel. The only downside is the extra weight if that sort of thing bothers you.....but you don't notice it on the trail. I'll never go back.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    ...I'll never go back.
    Again, that's good, because you can't.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The biggest difference to me between air springs and coils is consistency/reliability. I've found all air springs very inconsistent even over short periods of use. The seals constantly can let air into the lower legs converting your burly 160mm enduro slammer into a limited edition Nino Shurter special at 100mm. The manufacturers know this. Most forks should have bleed valves. Not just Fox 38s or 40s. The ugly truth is they know most will never notice so they don't bother. I roll up on tons of folks barely getting 50% of travel here in the PNW.
    The Smashpot is my favorite coil conversion. It is however easily the heaviest. There 100cc of oil on the coil side of the SP vs PUSH ACS3's 20cc. PUSH uses a small air spring to control bottom out while the SP uses an oil valve. SP has I think 16 clicks of bottom out adjustment just by turning a dial. Nice if you are riding a wider variety of trails. Cheers J

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A good test if your fork needs new lower seals is if air is starting to build up in the lowers of your damper leg.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    The biggest difference to me between air springs and coils is consistency/reliability. I've found all air springs very inconsistent even over short periods of use. The seals constantly can let air into the lower legs converting your burly 160mm enduro slammer into a limited edition Nino Shurter special at 100mm. The manufacturers know this. Most forks should have bleed valves. Not just Fox 38s or 40s. The ugly truth is they know most will never notice so they don't bother. I roll up on tons of folks barely getting 50% of travel here in the PNW.
    The Smashpot is my favorite coil conversion. It is however easily the heaviest. There 100cc of oil on the coil side of the SP vs PUSH ACS3's 20cc. PUSH uses a small air spring to control bottom out while the SP uses an oil valve. SP has I think 16 clicks of bottom out adjustment just by turning a dial. Nice if you are riding a wider variety of trails. Cheers J
    %100 agree with this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Again, that's good, because you can't.
    Not entirely true....though I know what you mean. I've been off the bike for six months following surgery. My wife wanted to try the 36s. The insides of the stanchions looked immaculate so I converted them back to air after a year of coil use and they've been running fine. I realise that's not guaranteed though.

mtbr member
    What's this????

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-94708432_263611891482893_175920999789418069_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    prob new colors coming for the next batch, late summer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For anyone running coil what spring rates are you on?

high pivot witchcraft
    You guys have me thinking about the SP now. Lmfao.

Iím going to wait until I can get some serious dirt in first before I pull the trigger on anything further. Lol.

I added 5 psi to my fork tonight. It restored the geo. And my fork feels pretty damned good. Worlds better than how it was with the FIT4 and no Luftkappe.

The 11-6 is going to be next level. I know that. I can tell already. There is no doubt.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Would anyone else besides me be interested in having Druid in a 29/27.5 Mullet trim? I have been thinking about it all week after riding my brothers 27.5 bike and loving it. I will definetly buy the first good mullet bike that comes out. However I feel like the druid could be really cool if they made a linkage to make it a mullet bike. Basically if they made the link for it the Geo could be pretty much the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Would anyone else besides me be interested in having Druid in a 29/27.5 Mullet trim? I have been thinking about it all week after riding my brothers 27.5 bike and loving it. I will definetly buy the first good mullet bike that comes out. However I feel like the druid could be really cool if they made a linkage to make it a mullet bike. Basically if they made the link for it the Geo could be pretty much the same.
    Had a wheel from my old bike's spare wheelset..
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_5618.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_5618.jpg  

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_5618.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I thinking mulleting works better on a 650b frame than a 29er....unless the 29er starts off with a really high BB....Else you'll need 120mm cranks 😁...I mulleted a Bronson V3 and it rode well except for the slack seat angle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I thinking mulleting works better on a 650b frame than a 29er....unless the 29er starts off with a really high BB....Else you'll need 120mm cranks ...I mulleted a Bronson V3 and it rode well except for the slack seat angle.
    It works on 29er if the bike brand makes a specific linkage for it, thats what they did with the Alchemy Nine7Five.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Cool...I rode a mullet for about 6 months...overall I preferred it (especially on steep trails) to full 650b...but prefer 29 both ends. I find jumping easier with matching wheel sizes...something feels odd on the mullet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Mullet setup is great in some ways. With adjusted geometry to suit i'm sure it'd work well for the right style rider.

+ More composed on steep trails
    + Jumping over holes is easier
    + Much easier to make consecutive tight turns compared to 29 rear
    + Not much difference on the climbs
    + Easy to do a good manual!

- Get hung up on repetitive holes and lose much speed!
    - Rear drifts more often
    - More effort required to carry momentum than 29 rear

mtbr member
    May 2017
    BTW on the instagram story of FBC, they showed a new rear link. and it is confirmed to be a link for mullet setups

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Here is the post
    mullet druid
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8913.jpg
    Name:  Annotation 2020-05-02 112724.png
Views: 215
Size:  13.2 KB
    Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_8914.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Wondering how close the Geometry will be, I literally just laced up a new 29er hoop, damn!

Off the back...
    Did a couple of updates on the Druid. Installed the new idler and a new fork. It has Fox Air Release Technology valves.

Off the back...
    Also, did anyone read the NSMB review that came out a couple of days ago? V2 linkage coming soon?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was feeling ready to get a Druid until I read that article. This sentence doesnít give me the good feels ó> ĎUnder heavy rear braking the bike will sit into its travel and have a hard time recovering.í and nether does this one Ď Too much front brake and the rear will sit high up in travel.í

I havenít tried one yet and donít have a local dealer but the overwhelming positive reviews canít be ignored.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kootenay rider View Post
    I was feeling ready to get a Druid until I read that article. This sentence doesnít give me the good feels ó> ĎUnder heavy rear braking the bike will sit into its travel and have a hard time recovering.í and nether does this one Ď Too much front brake and the rear will sit high up in travel.í

I havenít tried one yet and donít have a local dealer but the overwhelming positive reviews canít be ignored.
    Yea, the article was the least complimentary review Iíve read yet. Iím on the cusp of purchase too and inhaling any/all information on the bike so I was surprised when the article was so negative.

mtbr member
    Yea, the article was the least complimentary review Iíve read yet. Iím on the cusp of purchase too and inhaling any/all information on the bike so I was surprised when the article was so negative.

i didnt think the article was that negative?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I guess it may just be the fact that it wasnít so overwhelmingly positive like pretty much everything else out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

It's an rather interesting ride. I think what they are referring too, is if you're the kind of rider that "rides" / drags the brakes through stuff, you'll have those issues. I've been on my druid for about 2 months and I have altered alot of my riding/braking techniques. It kind of reminds me more of a moto....don't touch them until you need it. So if you're the kind of rider that drags your brakes lightly, this bike isn't for you. If you like to let it go wide open and touch the brakes last minute, this bike is for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    There is no negatives I feel while braking. Anti Rise isnt always a negative, especially if you ride steeper terrain. The bike feels good on choppy terrain so I wouldnt think too hard about that one article, you never know who the reviewer is and why or where their opinions come from. I would look at the reviews and this thread as a whole to come to a conclusion.

mtbr member
    It's an rather interesting ride. I think what they are referring too, is if you're the kind of rider that "rides" / drags the brakes through stuff, you'll have those issues. I've been on my druid for about 2 months and I have altered alot of my riding/braking techniques. It kind of reminds me more of a moto....don't touch them until you need it. So if you're the kind of rider that drags your brakes lightly, this bike isn't for you. If you like to let it go wide open and touch the brakes last minute, this bike is for you.
    my basic understanding is that this is the way we should be riding anyway.

just watch lewis buchanan ride. next level

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I brake late, how else do you get the heart pumping? Thanks for the info, makes sense.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    my basic understanding is that this is the way we should be riding anyway.

just watch lewis buchanan ride. next level
    Started following him about a month ago, that guy shreds. pretty amazing.

high pivot witchcraft
    Before I got my suspension dialled, I noticed things locking up a bit under hard braking. See posts #115 and #119.

As soon as I decreased my PSI lower than what I thought intuitively would be optimal and got my suspension dialled, things softened up. That's when things went from good to next level.

That said, I have also adjusted my riding a bit with this bike - including way less braking. With the incredible corning of this bike and its ability to soak up anything in its path, it's a shame to try to tame this beast. So far so good but holy crap - I have never gone so fast on a bike in my life. I have serious concerns about the level of speed I am able to effortlessly attain on this thing.

Also, I find I can navigate technical downs much better on this bike than on any Horst link I have owned, whose rear suspension felt like it was extending under heavy braking in the steeps.

I have no doubt that the author of the NSMB article is an absolute animal. Not suggesting otherwise. But I also suspect he has some further tweaking to do with the suspension to hit the next level zone. It took 2 ShockWizes and a couple of days of riding for me to get mine close to where it should have been all along. I had WAY too much air in my shock, among other things.

Then again, I also suspect he is a much better suspension tweaker then I am, so who knows?

Whatever. Happy to report that I no longer notice any locking under heavy braking sensation I felt when I first got the bike.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Did a couple of updates on the Druid. Installed the new idler and a new fork. It has Fox Air Release Technology valves.
    49/40? ;-)

high pivot witchcraft
    [QUOTE=onawave;14702029]%100 you loose your grip two...[/BF QUOTE]

You lost me on this. Are you saying that I donít need a damper with the Smashpot? I must be misunderstanding what you are saying.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    For anyone running coil what spring rates are you on?
    I would be interested in this too. For those running the Smashpot, spring rate as well as riding weight with full gear, fork travel (I assume everyone is on a 150 but maybe not), description of terrain and whether you would go with a different spring rate next time.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hello guys! Long post coming
    I finally had time to build and ride the bike here in Norway.
    I am a 6ft 200 lbs rider by the way on a large frame.

Building the bike was really easy, actually much easier than i expected (first time for me). Also, i think someone wrote here that no spacers are required with shimano XT, but that wasn't possible because the chainring couldn't move. A 2,5 mm spacer on the driver side solved that. Also, based on Olly's suggestions on FB, i set it up with 0 B-tension and i got perfect shifting in literally 10 minutes.

Bike Specs : Full shimano XT drivetrain
    Lyrik ultimate fork
    Dt swiss 1900M wheels
    Magic Mary + Hans Dampf tires
    50 mm stem
    One up handlebar with 20 mm rise + 25mm spacers
    One up V2 180 mm
    Magura MT5 brakes

My current suspension setup is :
    Fox dpx2: 190 psi (19-20 mm sag), LSC open rebound 10 clicks from closed.
    Lyrik Ultimate : 92 psi, HSC open, LSC 3 clicks from open, rebound 11 clicks from closed
    Here, i would like to thank all the people here that did all the hard work/research + Forbidden for the set-up suggestions. I would never think to run too much sag on my own

Climbing: The bike climbs amazing, its up there with the best. My previous ride was a ripley V4 and although it doesnt have the DW link feeling when i climb fire roads, at everything else like a bit more technical i prefer climbing with the Druid as the traction is amazing. No pedal bob, no movement, nothing. Hell, i even have the impression that when i have it fully open it climbs better than when i use the climb switch.

Descends: I have ridden mostly Blue-black "natural" trails that look a bit like a minefield after all the rains/snow here.
    I can't really describe the feeling, but the rear suspension is just there and does all the job. At almost every ride i check the travel o-ring and i use 90-95% of the travel without even realizing it.
    You can easily notice the increased rearward axle path on the descends as you carry a lot of speed and the only indication/warning that i get in order to slow down and live another day to ride is from the overwhelmed front end (lyrik in my case). I had ridden/demo a couple of longer travel bikes the last year and i never had such confidence over repetitive hits/roots/rocks at high speed. The bike feels amazing and i now get why some people said here that the bike makes you go faster etc.

Now that may sound weird, but i find the brake jack/squatting while using the rear brake very helpful on steep terrain as the rear sits and balances the geometry. I noticed that when i caught myself using the rear brake more and more on steeper trails with this bike.

Although i can hear the idler pulley on steep climbs and it sounds like it won't make it until the end of the season, the bike is super quiet.
    No noticeable chain drag though!

Overall, the bike by far exceeded my expectations. I have never expected to ride the way it does.
    The frame quality is superb, as are the quick responses from Forbidden on FB and the overall customer service.
    I think i already said that, but the first frame that i ordered arrived with a tiny scratch on the front. Mech Monkey contacted Forbidden and quickly replaced it with a brand new frame in a couple of days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-screenshot-2020-05-05-10.11.12.jpg  

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
    49/40? ;-)
    Ha! No, the 2021 36 has the valves on the back of the legs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Ha! No, the 2021 36 has the valves on the back of the legs.
    I know, that's what I assumed, just messing. (waiting on mine to arrive :-) )

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by manos-t View Post
    Hello guys! Long post coming
    I finally had time to build and ride the bike here in Norway.
    I am a 6ft 200 lbs rider by the way on a large frame.

Building the bike was really easy, actually much easier than i expected (first time for me). Also, i think someone wrote here that no spacers are required with shimano XT, but that wasn't possible because the chainring couldn't move. A 2,5 mm spacer on the driver side solved that. Also, based on Olly's suggestions on FB, i set it up with 0 B-tension and i got perfect shifting in literally 10 minutes.

Bike Specs : Full shimano XT drivetrain
    Lyrik ultimate fork
    Dt swiss 1900M wheels
    Magic Mary + Hans Dampf tires
    50 mm stem
    One up handlebar with 20 mm rise + 25mm spacers
    One up V2 180 mm
    Magura MT5 brakes

My current suspension setup is :
    Fox dpx2: 190 psi (19-20 mm sag), LSC open rebound 10 clicks from closed.
    Lyrik Ultimate : 92 psi, HSC open, LSC 3 clicks from open, rebound 11 clicks from closed
    Here, i would like to thank all the people here that did all the hard work/research + Forbidden for the set-up suggestions. I would never think to run too much sag on my own

Climbing: The bike climbs amazing, its up there with the best. My previous ride was a ripley V4 and although it doesnt have the DW link feeling when i climb fire roads, at everything else like a bit more technical i prefer climbing with the Druid as the traction is amazing. No pedal bob, no movement, nothing. Hell, i even have the impression that when i have it fully open it climbs better than when i use the climb switch.

Descends: I have ridden mostly Blue-black "natural" trails that look a bit like a minefield after all the rains/snow here.
    I can't really describe the feeling, but the rear suspension is just there and does all the job. At almost every ride i check the travel o-ring and i use 90-95% of the travel without even realizing it.
    You can easily notice the increased rearward axle path on the descends as you carry a lot of speed and the only indication/warning that i get in order to slow down and live another day to ride is from the overwhelmed front end (lyrik in my case). I had ridden/demo a couple of longer travel bikes the last year and i never had such confidence over repetitive hits/roots/rocks at high speed. The bike feels amazing and i now get why some people said here that the bike makes you go faster etc.

Now that may sound weird, but i find the brake jack/squatting while using the rear brake very helpful on steep terrain as the rear sits and balances the geometry. I noticed that when i caught myself using the rear brake more and more on steeper trails with this bike.

Although i can hear the idler pulley on steep climbs and it sounds like it won't make it until the end of the season, the bike is super quiet.
    No noticeable chain drag though!

Overall, the bike by far exceeded my expectations. I have never expected to ride the way it does.
    The frame quality is superb, as are the quick responses from Forbidden on FB and the overall customer service.
    I think i already said that, but the first frame that i ordered arrived with a tiny scratch on the front. Mech Monkey contacted Forbidden and quickly replaced it with a brand new frame in a couple of days.
    I've got about 500+ miles on my idler and I live pretty much in the dessert. I found if you pull the idler off every couple weeks and clean it and re-grease it, it runs smooth and quite.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As far as spring rates are concerned I weigh 185 and have both the Push green and black spring for the ACS3. Originally, PUSH recommended a black spring but subsequently changed their recommendations to green for this weight class. I found the black too stout for normal trail riding. It may be a good option for the bike park. When I went to Vorsprung Steve just handed me the spring he thought was suitable so I'm not 100% sure which one is in my SP. I'll try to find the receipt. I'm assuming it's their recommendation for 185. Cheers J

mtbr member
    hi all.

ive been following this thread quite closely.

would be interested to know - if people have come from more longer travel bikes down to the druid.

im currently riding a pimped out yeti sb150 - and i ride it pretty hard. lots of shuttle days, took it to canada last year etc

so people who have come from the longer travel bikes "down" to the druid - what are your thoughts? its it more playful? is it just as capable?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    hi all.

would be interested to know - if people have come from more longer travel bikes down to the druid.

im currently riding a pimped out yeti sb150 - and i ride it pretty hard. lots of shuttle days, took it to canada last year etc

so people who have come from the longer travel bikes "down" to the druid - what are your thoughts? its it more playful? is it just as capable?

thanks.
    I think its just as capable, if you put a 160 fork on it or angleset I think it will feel more capable than the Yeti. Im running the standard 150/130 setup and im never running out of bike, putting an angleset this week to make it a little extra capable. The rear end is insane how good it feels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hi all.

thanks.
    Iím in a similar boat, coming from a Yeti SB6.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Iím in a similar boat, coming from a Yeti SB6.

I dont understand how people are taking so long to think about whether they want this bike or not. When I saw it online, I searched pinkbike and found one, tore down my old frame, sold it to the first offer and drove 4 hours to pick up the druid. The only issue I have had with mine to make me want to change is im inbetween sizes M and L and have back problems. Threw in an angleset and higher rise bars and it is perfect now in a size large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hi all.

thanks.
    I'll be the contrarian to some other comments. Is the bike great for what it is? Yes. Does it feel like a 160mm travel enduro sled? No. IMO, the druid handles its travel very well, but it's not the same as, for example, the new specialized enduro. I have both and will use the druid everywhere I ride the enduro, but it's not as forgiving and doesn't erase the high speed chunder like the enduro. The druid will out corner and out pedal the enduro, however. My two cents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

[mention]AKRCD47 [/mention]

I was about to pull the trigger on the last Moss size L frame from Fanatik but then CV19 SAH order got put into place and promptly 2/3 of my start-up company was laid off. I kept my job but also have a baby on the way... so played it safe and then they sold out.

That being said, I want to keep my current bike up and running as a back up so I have to start fresh for parts on the Druid.

The other issue is that Forbidden doesnít currently offer full builds and Fanatik with their ďcustom bike builder portalĒ, in my opinion, are over priced. Even my ďbudget buildsĒ would come in at $9k. That is definitely in part on me because I want this to be a dream build but nothing can compare to a manufacturers discount on parts. That leaves me to scrape all the parts together and have another shop build it (I donít have the time, tools or knowledge), etc.

Anyways, Iím ready to commit now but have to wait until the next batch in July.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by csm024 View Post
    I'll be the contrarian to some other comments. Is the bike great for what it is? Yes. Does it feel like a 160mm travel enduro sled? No. IMO, the druid handles its travel very well, but it's not the same as, for example, the new specialized enduro. I have both and will use the druid everywhere I ride the enduro, but it's not as forgiving and doesn't erase the high speed chunder like the enduro. The druid will out corner and out pedal the enduro, however. My two cents.
    Forsure, thats definetly where it falls short, the new enduro is a rear axle path and has 170mm and 64 degree head angle, I would say it feels more like a 150mm bike that doesnt have rearward axle path. Im really digging the druid with the angleset, may go even further and do a 1.5 but waiting to see what the mullet link offers geo wise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    [mention]AKRCD47 [/mention]

I was about to pull the trigger on the last Moss size L frame from Fanatik but then CV19 SAH order got put into place and promptly 2/3 of my start-up company was laid off. I kept my job but also have a baby on the way... so played it safe and then they sold out.

That being said, I want to keep my current bike up and running as a back up so I have to start fresh parts for the Druid.

The other issue is that Forbidden doesnít currently offer full builds and Fanatik with their custom bike builder portal, in my opinion, are over priced. Even my ďbudget buildsĒ would come in at $9k. That is definitely in part on me because I want this to be a dream build but nothing can compare to a manufacturers discount on parts. That leaves me to scrape all the parts together and have another shop build it (I donít have the time, tools or knowledge), etc.

Anyways, Iím ready to commit now but have to wait until the next batch in July.

I would reccomend just keeping your eye on pinkbike for parts, a lot of times people like me will buy something and never use it or change bikes and sell it for a pretty big loss. If youíre patient you can save a lot of money keeping your eye on it. Right now would be a great time to buy the previous Fox 36, why not? It is still an amazing fork, just not the ďlatest and greatestĒ, it isnt going to hold you back. People also sell good wheelsets all the time and you can win big, got my DT350 Hubs with 54T ratchet upgrade and EX511 wheels for 350$, indestructable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would reccomend just keeping your eye on pinkbike for parts, a lot of times people like me will buy something and never use it or change bikes and sell it for a pretty big loss. If youíre patient you can save a lot of money keeping your eye on it. Right now would be a great time to buy the previous Fox 36, why not? It is still an amazing fork, just not the ďlatest and greatestĒ, it isnt going to hold you back. People also sell good wheelsets all the time and you can win big, got my DT350 Hubs with 54T ratchet upgrade and EX511 wheels for 350$, indestructable.

Yep, thatís my current plan, acquire parts slowly but thatís not as gratifying as instant satisfaction. Now the question is, will there be enough changes to the 2020 Druid frame to make it worth while to wait or do I pick up a used frame if I find one?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Yep, thatís my current plan, acquire parts slowly but thatís not as gratifying as instant satisfaction. Now the question is, will there be enough changes to the 2020 Druid frame to make it worth while to wait or do I pick up a used frame if I find one?

Pick up used if money is an issue, there are a couple out there, all the updates Forbidden will send to you if you email them. The Mullet link is supposed to be announced this week, V2 Pulley, stuff like that is stuff that you can get to update the bike. If you can save 800$ I think its worth it, most people selling the bikes barley ride them anyways since they are typically dream builds and are moving on to the next newest bike they want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I dont understand how people are taking so long to think about whether they want this bike or not. When I saw it online, I searched pinkbike and found one, tore down my old frame, sold it to the first offer and drove 4 hours to pick up the druid. The only issue I have had with mine to make me want to change is im inbetween sizes M and L and have back problems. Threw in an angleset and higher rise bars and it is perfect now in a size large.

Simply because it's a lot of money to throw down for something that you haven't tested and are using online reviews/forums to form a decision. Forums are wonderful places but they can also be traps for some. A new bike comes out (doesn't matter by who), people buy them and then rush to the forums to gush about how they are the best bike they've ever ridden both up and down. When have you ever read a thread on a new bike where it's negative regarding the ride impressions of the bike? There is the honeymoon phase and lots of 'vocal' forum posters flip bikes every year to ride the newest ones - then declare how the new ones are amazing and better than the last.

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement when reading the forum posts.

I'm a serial bike flipper myself, have been for years but it still pays to try before you buy which, at this point, is extremely hard for most with this bike.

I'll probably end up with one anyways, ha!

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    hi all.

thanks.
    I'm in a similar situation here. I had an SB6 that I modified to get a bit more travel, then went to an SB150 which gets 162mm of travel and honestly I don't love the 150 because the back end is squirrely. The seat stay and upper link are underbuilt for someone of my size. I'm VERY interested in seeing what Forbidden is coming out with in the longer travel category and am even considering selling my 150 to get a Druid.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    I'm in a similar situation here. I had an SB6 that I modified to get a bit more travel, then went to an SB150 which gets 162mm of travel and honestly I don't love the 150 because the back end is squirrely. The seat stay and upper link are underbuilt for someone of my size. I'm VERY interested in seeing what Forbidden is coming out with in the longer travel category and am even considering selling my 150 to get a Druid.
    im used to the backend on the yeti and dont mind it. keeps it interesting.

however if the druid or the longer travel version of this is better - then take my money.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    For those that like to experiment I just picked-up the new Microshift Advent X drivetrain for my Druid. It's 10 speed, 11-48 range, lighter than GX or XT and a grand total of $167.00.This suits my riding style of not shifting a whole lot. I'm usually out of the saddle for pitchy climbs. It requires old-school shimano HG driver and eliminates any chain stay interference with the 10 tooth cog. I doubt anything will last as long as SRAM's stuff. Their 11 speed XX1 chains went forever. But it's fairly cheap to find out. I'll report back on durabilty so far, so good. It shifts better than Shimano 11 speed which isn't saying much. J

Off the back...
    hi all.

thanks.
    Before my Druid, I was on an Ibis Ripmo, and before that a Trek Slash. The Druid outclimbs both of the other bikes on smooth and tech. That's all there is to that.
    DH on the Ripmo is fun, but it got squirrelly from time to time, particularly when the speeds increased. The Slash is just fast, but you're kind of along for the ride. On descents, the Druid is... different. The Ripmo was more fun and playful than the Slash, which isn't surprising, given that the Slash is basically a race bike. The Druid is like Neo in The Matrix. At first, you can't really do much, because you're trying to do things the way you always did. Gravity pulls you down, you can't bend the spoon, etc. After some time, you start to figure out that it's not air you're breathing, and you have a bit of a breakthrough. Still, bad choices can happen, you get in trouble, have to bend out of harm's way [mostly], etc. At some point, you develop enough confidence to just go for it and amazingly, you beat your demons, at least for a while. You'll probably get taken down hard at some point, but like the Phoenix, you will rise from the dead and truly fly.

TLR - There's a learning curve, kicks ass when you figure it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    At first, you can't really do much, because you're trying to do things the way you always did.

At some point, you develop enough confidence to just go for it and amazingly, you beat your demons..

TLR - There's a learning curve, kicks ass when you figure it out.
    I agree with your sentiment.
    At first the Druid felt odd because I've always popped and hopped over roots, ruts and rocks. Especially when you're finding your feet with suspension setup too. It takes a while to hone how to ride the Druid, but once you do it's a trail bike capable of handling Enduro terrain.

However once I realised how good this bike is at tracking the terrain I've just let the bike deal with the micro details and then I focus my riding on the bigger stuff!

It has reframed how I ride a trail in the same way moving from a hardtail to a full suspension bike changes your line choice capabilities! It's addictive!
    Coaching | Training | Guiding
    www.pedaltoprogression.com

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    ... You'll probably get taken down hard at some point, but like the Phoenix, you will rise from the dead and truly fly.
    I hope this isn't the case. I obliterated my shoulder and injured my back and hip a couple of years ago. ~20mpg to zero on a boulder after slipping a pedal. Missed 8 months of work. This phoenix is still shaking off the ash and at 46 I can't afford anymore incidents like that.

Is the suspension really that different? Harder to use roots and rocks as kickers? With the back end effectively getting quite a bit longer as it compresses, I imagine pulling up hard on the front end takes some adjustment

Off the back...
    I hope this isn't the case. I obliterated my shoulder and injured my back and hip a couple of years ago. ~20mpg to zero on a boulder after slipping a pedal. Missed 8 months of work. This phoenix is still shaking off the ash and at 46 I can't afford anymore incidents like that.

Is the suspension really that different? Harder to use roots and rocks as kickers? With the back end effectively getting quite a bit longer as it compresses, I imagine pulling up hard on the front end takes some adjustment
    On the contrary, I started to huck stuff I normally wouldn't, and at a couple of years older than you, that's saying something. Preload, pop, air, land. Same as any other FS bike. The awesome part is that the suspension covers up my mistakes - cased landings don't really happen anymore. You don't get bucked, which means you don't go careening into the woods as much. Gap this, gap that. That's worth the price of admission for me. I feel more confident trying stuff because the bike fixes the part where I normally screw up. That means I goa bit faster, which makes me clear the things that normally give me trouble.
    Last edited by pinkrobe; 05-07-2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Aging

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Here is what I rode from 2015 to 2017:

160/160, 27.7 lbs with minions and pedals. One of THE plushest bikes of its genre at the time (and one of the highest AS as well).

Here was what I rode in 2018:

Both were Owen Pemberton creations.

There is no situation in which I would reach for either over the Druid.

For anyone not feeling that the Druid's travel feels SIGNIFICANTLY deeper than 130, I feel for you (and yes, I know - 3 feels in a row). I would be button fiddling like crazy, trying to capture the magic. I would be very disappointed.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 05-08-2020 at 05:52 AM.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Forsure, thats definetly where it falls short, the new enduro is a rear axle path and has 170mm and 64 degree head angle, I would say it feels more like a 150mm bike that doesnt have rearward axle path. Im really digging the druid with the angleset, may go even further and do a 1.5 but waiting to see what the mullet link offers geo wise.

You put in a 1 deg Angle set? Pros/Con? The reason I'm asking is I think I've reached the limit of the bike for me personally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    You put in a 1 deg Angle set? Pros/Con? The reason I'm asking is I think I've reached the limit of the bike for me personally.
    Way more comfortable at speed and on steep stuff, I havent really felt any disadvantages since it steepens the seat tube unlike up forking slackens, im a little small for the large frame and it helps shorten the top tube a touch in the seated position. There arent many disadvantages because I usually try and ride stuff on the steeper and chunkier side.

If you need more plowability bump the fork to 160 I ran that for a while and it made a big difference on steeps, honestly im only back to 150 and the angleset because it keeps the seat tube steeper than the 160 does and I set my fork up that I was only ever using 150 anyways, if I wanted full downhill capability I would do both. They are about to release a linkage that I think is for the Mullet conversion, that should be really cool.

I also have a custom Fox X2 that gets a little extra rear travel (4-5mm) that im not running anymore since the DPX2 was better climbing for me but that definetly helped on the bigger hits. Bike is perfect for me, just wish stock it had a 1 degree slacker head tube and 1 degree steeper seat tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Forbidden announced a 27.5 mullet conversion link for the Druid today. Looks really interesting and I'll be eager to see what testers have to say about it vs. the original 29 in the rear.

Link:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/forbid...nversions.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Finally finished mine. If it would only stop snowing I could give it a test ride. My buddy has a shock wiz so I am going to try that this week I hope to set it up. More than likely I will change the spacer out to the biggest one and go from there. I am 6 foot 190ish with a 6'2 reach. I like longer bikes after being on Mondrakers off and on for 5 years and most recently a Pole.

The stats on it are:

XL Frame with ride wrap
    XTR 4 pot brakes
    XTR shifter
    XT 12 speed drive train
    XT 11 speed cranks with wolf tooth 12 speed shimano ring (saved me from getting new cranks)
    XTR trail pedals
    Maxxis rubber
    Industry Nine Gravity wheel set with Torch hubs just changed the driver to micro spline
    Fox 36 Grip 2 with changed air shaft to 150 from 170
    Fox dropper with wolf tooth lever
    SDG radar saddle
    ODI grips
    Renthal 50 mm stem
    Renthal alloy bars cut to 780 with 20 mm rise
    Cane Creek hellbender hedset

Went down to one bike this year getting rid of my Pole 158 and my Tallboy 3. This was going to be my trail
    and park bike, however Blue Mountain decided to shitcan mountain biking this year, and maybe for good. Looking forward to
    riding since I had a massive crash at the end of July that ended my season.

Shout out to Cam at the Inside Line in Calgary for getting me this. I heard only a handful of XL's showed up at the turn of year and he was getting only one and I managed to get it. It will be a rare ride here in Ontario.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_1063.jpg  

Forbidden Bike Co Druid-img_1065.jpg  

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    Finally finished mine. If it would only stop snowing I could give it a test ride. My buddy has a shock wiz so I am going to try that this week I hope to set it up.

The stats on it are:

XL Frame with ride wrap
    XTR 4 pot brakes
    XTR shifter
    XT 12 speed drive train
    XTR trail pedals
    Maxxis rubber
    Industry Nine Gravity wheel set with Torch hubs just changed the driver to micro spline
    Fox 36 Grip 2 with changed air shaft
    Fox dropper
    SDG radar saddle
    ODI grips
    Renthal 50 mm stem
    Renthal bars cut to 780 with 20 mm rise
    Cane Creek hellbender hedset
    Nicely done.

Iím in the same boat ride-wise. Trailheads are finally open here following a long COVID-induced shutdown, but apparently we had more snow this past season than at anytime in the last 4 decades.

Still riding my 11-6 equipped Druid on the paved pathways here, pending the trails drying up. In amongst the Electra cruisers and roller bladers. Lol.

PS - why I9 over WAO? Obviously I9 is a great choice. Just wondering what led you there.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nicely done.

Iím in the same boat ride-wise. Trailheads are finally open here following a long COVID-induced shutdown, but apparently we had more snow this past season than at anytime in the last 4 decades.

Still riding my 11-6 equipped Druid on the paved pathways here, pending the trails drying up. In amongst the Electra cruisers and roller bladers. Lol.

PS - why I9 over WAO? Obviously I9 is a great choice. Just wondering what led you there.
    The I9's are off my Pole, I got a smoking deal on them last year (60% off) and they only had half a dozen rides on them before I blew up on my Santa Cruz. I had the same set on that bike and they were bomb proof but sold them and kept the newer set. Not sure if I would go carbon wheels, almost too stiff. I went to an alloy bar after snapping the same bar in carbon last year (half way under the grip). I like stiff, but too stiff at 45, your body starts to feel it.

The micro spline was like 150 bucks from Lama Cycles the Canadian distributor. The only issue is they sent me the wrong one and I had it for like 3 months before I decided to build the bike and then figured it out.

I am looking out the window now it is snowing. So depressing. Ford is opening up provincial parks next Friday so I will be able to hit up 3 Stage first thing and get good ride in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

I'm surprised that you found the overall review negative because those two comments were the only minor things he pointed out. This was the first of a multi-part review so I'm sure there will be more to digest soon.

I personally know the reviewer and he is in love with the bike. He messaged me asking what I thought of mine before he dropped the cash and I couldn't think of anything negative so he pulled the trigger. As the review said, he feels faster on this than he did on his previous 160/150mm bike and is riding some seriously gnar stuff on the shore so that should settle any concerns that you have.

I've been on mine for over a year now and initially had a weird creak but that was solved with the V2 link and retorquing the main pivot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    hi all.

thanks.
    My previous bike was a Wreckoning and I rode mostly on the shore and the sea to sky area. This felt just as fast and actually smoother on the same trails I was plowing on the other bike. It is honestly insane how much you can get away with on this bike. It's definitely harder to pop up into a wheelie because the rear end extends but I doubt I'll be going back to any other linkage design after riding a high single pivot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I read a comment on the PB article about the Ziggy Link where someone (possibly local to Forbidden) said the new bike is 180/160 and we already know it's got a 63.5 degree head angle. People holding out for that should really consider if they need something that big because I doubt there are many people that could seriously justify it. The Druid is such a solid trail bike that can still hold its own on the steep / rough stuff and the still be fine for a trip to the bike park. Unless you race enduro or seriously send hard, I think this really is the perfect bike.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubNub View Post
    I'm surprised that you found the overall review negative because those two comments were the only minor things he pointed out. This was the first of a multi-part review so I'm sure there will be more to digest soon.

I personally know the reviewer and he is in love with the bike. He messaged me asking what I thought of mine before he dropped the cash and I couldn't think of anything negative so he pulled the trigger. As the review said, he feels faster on this than he did on his previous 160/150mm bike and is riding some seriously gnar stuff on the shore so that should settle any concerns that you have.

I've been on mine for over a year now and initially had a weird creak but that was solved with the V2 link and retorquing the main pivot.
    Nice posts. Especially this one. Thanks for the enlightening comments.

I saw the piece about the V2 linkage. My idler shit the bed very early on me. I am now on a V2 idler. I wonder if I should be proactive and hunt down the V2 linkage...

I wasnít all that interested in the Ziggy linkage until I read Owenís comments below the PB article. Everyone I know who has tried a mullet bike found it to be a bizarre experience - one that they did not like. Maybe the Druid is different.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nice posts. Especially this one. Thanks for the enlightening comments.

I saw the piece about the V2 linkage. My idler shit the bed very early on me. I am now on a V2 idler. I wonder if I should be proactive and hunt down the V2 linkage...

I wasnít all that interested in the Ziggy linkage until I read Owenís comments below the PB article. Everyone I know who has tried a mullet bike found it to be a bizarre experience - one that they did not like. Maybe the Druid is different.
    I'm only just replacing my idler now which is pretty good considering how much I've ridden. The new one is supposed to be more durable as well.

I wouldn't rush to replace the linkage if there's nothing wrong because there were only a handful of people that had the small creak. Yours is definitely fine if you haven't had any issues yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I read a comment on the PB article about the Ziggy Link where someone (possibly local to Forbidden) said the new bike is 180/160 and we already know it's got a 63.5 degree head angle. People holding out for that should really consider if they need something that big because I doubt there are many people that could seriously justify it. The Druid is such a solid trail bike that can still hold its own on the steep / rough stuff and the still be fine for a trip to the bike park. Unless you race enduro or seriously send hard, I think this really is the perfect bike.
    I agree. Was starting to wonder if I should have waited for the bigger travel version but i'm finding the Druid takes all my local trails in it's stride. My Old Wilson DH bike can do trips to the bike park for a laugh.

This new bike from Forbidden will be capable of eating gnarly DH tracks for sure if it is really 180-160!
    Coaching | Training | Guiding
    www.pedaltoprogression.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks for the response. I didn't find that review negative but I did notice those two comments which I see as slightly negative. We all know that there's no perfect suspension design as it's all about compromises. However, what's perfect for you might not be perfect for me and visa-versa. I've been reading overwhelming positive reviews for the Druid which is why I'm on here in the first place. The only other bikes I've seen with this amount of positive reviews are the SB130 and Ripmo. I did own a SB100 for about a season and while it felt fast, I was still faster on a Stumpjumper LT on the climbs which was a real head scratcher for me. I also didn't like the stiffening I felt under hard braking in certain situations or the somewhat flexy back end.

The things I like about the Druid, from what I've read, is how it handles square-edge hits and stability when landing drops. On the other side, the potential stiffening under braking and under pedal power have me slightly concerned. I've been riding for about 30 years and have been on most suspension designs with the exception of DW bikes - the caveat is these are older designs of what's out now. I've kept coming back to the Horst-Link due it's active nature but as I'm climbing more these days, I do find it feeling sluggish at times.

Would love to try one out first before making the decision to buy!

high pivot witchcraft
    I have been riding for about 25 years. In recent times I have had 4 Horst link bikes, two of which I posted photos above. The Druid destroys each one of them at pretty much everything, regardless of being out-gunned travel-wise by up to 30mm in the rear. It almost feels like cheating at times.

I will not embarrass myself by posting how much money I have spent on bikes trying to find ďthe oneĒ. The good news is that I think the bleeding has finally stopped.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have been riding for about 25 years. In recent times I have had 4 Horst link bikes, two of which I posted photos above. The Druid destroys each one of them at pretty much everything, regardless of being out-gunned travel-wise by up to 30mm in the rear. It almost feels like cheating at times.

I will not embarrass myself by posting how much money I have spent on bikes trying to find ďthe oneĒ. The good news is that I think the bleeding has finally stopped.

Thanks for the feedback Ö I've been paying attention to your posts since you've been on Horst Link bikes for a bit too and ride terrain I'm familiar with.

I'll probably get one then Ö dam Ö twist my rubber arm eh?

Trail Ninja

That's an explanation of anti-rise.

Anti-rise is strong, perhaps excessive with high single pivots. When you use the rear brake, the braking forces compress the rear shock. This contrasts the usual feeling where you brake and your body weight shifts forward, as you are basically bracing against the bike to also slow down. Anti-rise preserves the geo of the bike. Would you rather have the fork dive and rear extend under braking on a steep downslope instead (OTB, or stinkbug feeling)?

Most desirable bikes (Yeti, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Pivot, GG) run enough anti-rise (80-100%) to cause the rear brake to nullify the forward weight shift, so you don't have to counter it yourself. Normally ppl would shift their weight back under braking, but on a bike with strong anti-rise, you can stay forward and low, letting the bike do the job of nullifying.

On a Knolly or Liteville, where anti-rise is minimal (under 35%), you can get your butt back and then execute a Euro nose pivot from that position.

Transition, Cube, Spec, Trek, Giant, Devinci, YT, Canyon and a number of others tend to run anti-rise amounts (35-80%) between these and the more desirable bikes. The Druid, and other high pivots like the old Swarf Curve, Zerode, are on another level higher than Yeti and the others.

Matter of riding style maybe and preference maybe. The way things are trending, people seem to like to stay confidently centered/forward on the bike, thinking that it's old school to get weight rearward. I wouldn't judge it as negative, knowing the trade-offs involved, but it's more of a personal judgement.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    That's an explanation of anti-rise.

Anti-rise is strong, perhaps excessive with high single pivots. When you use the rear brake, the braking forces compress the rear shock. This contrasts the usual feeling where you brake and your body weight shifts forward, as you are basically bracing against the bike to also slow down. Anti-rise preserves the geo of the bike. Would you rather have the fork dive and rear extend under braking on a steep downslope instead (OTB, or stinkbug feeling)?

Most bikes run enough anti-rise to cause the rear brake to nullify the forward weight shift, so you don't have to counter it yourself. Normally ppl would shift their weight back under braking, but on a bike with strong anti-rise, you can stay forward and low, letting the bike do the job of nullifying.

On a Knolly, Liteville, Cube, etc. where anti-rise is minimal, you can get your butt back and then execute a Euro nose pivot from that position.

Matter of riding style maybe and preference maybe. The way things are trending, people seem to like to stay confidently centered/forward on the bike, thinking that it's old school to get weight rearward. I wouldn't judge it as negative, knowing the trade-offs.
    Thats one thing I love about the druid, is being able to stay over the front end. On other bikes when you shift back you lose grip on the front tire. Riding centered is the way to go.

Robertson
    The frame drama continues. On a recent strip down/clean I noticed that my rear fender was loose and one of the bolts was spinning freely. Seems that the nutsert broke off inside the rear triangle (I probably overtorqued it at some point). Currently trying to figure out how to get the broken nutsert out and hopefully my LBS can rivet a new one in. The idler pulley is also pretty worn and the linkage and drivetrain (idler pulley and lower guide) have needed fairly frequent disassembly and greasing to prevent creak/drag. The bike is great when it's running well, but damn is she high maintenance

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrantorser View Post
    Hey, So Im 183 cm on a large druid, and while i didnt testride the HT2, I did testride the Megatower in a large. Despite the numbers on paper, the druid feels a fair bit bigger. The MT was just a hair to small for me, and the druid fits like a glove. Im running a 50mm stem slammed with a one up 35mm bar. I may downsize to a 40 or 45mm stem, but will wait a season to really get comfortable with it first.
    Other than size, can you comment on how the Druid rides in relation to the Mega? What kind of terrain are you riding? Did you ride the MT with a coil or air?

high pivot witchcraft
    The frame drama continues. On a recent strip down/clean I noticed that my rear fender was loose and one of the bolts was spinning freely. Seems that the nutsert broke off inside the rear triangle (I probably overtorqued it at some point). Currently trying to figure out how to get the broken nutsert out and hopefully my LBS can rivet a new one in. The idler pulley is also pretty worn and the linkage and drivetrain (idler pulley and lower guide) have needed fairly frequent disassembly and greasing to prevent creak/drag. The bike is great when it's running well, but damn is she high maintenance
    Holy crap.

Are you generally a little rough on bikes or is the Druid the first bike that has given you recurring issues? Have you been riding it more aggressively than prior bikes?

That is a bad stroke of luck for sure. I feel for you.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Robertson
    This is definitely the first bike that I've had this many issues with. I've had to replace one rear triangle before a few years back after a bad crash in a rock garden. Not gonna lie, all the bad luck/issues/maintenance is definitely souring the ownership experience for me

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    This is definitely the first bike that I've had this many issues with. I've had to replace one rear triangle before a few years back after a bad crash in a rock garden. Not gonna lie, all the bad luck/issues/maintenance is definitely souring the ownership experience for me
    Out of curiosity, what's the desired outcome of a damaged frame from a crash in a rock garden? I ask as a bike manufacturer myself, and because I've been racing a bike from another manufacturer which I've broken (twice), both due to circumstances that have no bearing on the quality of manufacture (rock strikes.)

mtbr member
    I agree. Was starting to wonder if I should have waited for the bigger travel version but i'm finding the Druid takes all my local trails in it's stride. My Old Wilson DH bike can do trips to the bike park for a laugh.

This new bike from Forbidden will be capable of eating gnarly DH tracks for sure if it is really 180-160!
    this is the part in kinda struggling with as i begin to formulate plans for a new bike.

for the most part, a 180/160 bike would be overkill for a lot of my local trails. i will soon be 45 years old and pretty fit. mostly ride blacks to light double blacks. im keen on progressing my skill as much as i can within reason.

as a family we do spend fair bit of time in our local alpine - where it most definitely is bigger bike riding. up there around 12 times a year. this is where i feel the bigger bike would come in handy.

in saying that however - watching lewis buchanan ride his stuff on his druid does make me think the druid could handle it.

for more information, we do head into to our local bike park in tassie a couple of times a year. that shit is also pretty gnarly.

kinda wondering (which i think it is) if its worth waiting for their bigger travel bike.

high pivot witchcraft
    this is the part in kinda struggling with as i begin to formulate plans for a new bike.

for the most part, a 180/160 bike would be overkill for a lot of my local trails. i will soon be 45 years old and pretty fit. mostly ride blacks to light double blacks. im keen on progressing my skill as much as i can within reason.

as a family we do spend fair bit of time in our local alpine - where it most definitely is bigger bike riding. up there around 12 times a year. this is where i feel the bigger bike would come in handy.

in saying that however - watching lewis buchanan ride his stuff on his druid does make me think the druid could handle it.

for more information, we do head into to our local bike park in tassie a couple of times a year. that shit is also pretty gnarly.

kinda wondering (which i think it is) if its worth waiting for their bigger travel bike.
    Do what some of us here are no doubt going to do...buy both
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Do what some of us here are no doubt going to do...buy both
    ha. the gatekeeper wife there would be the show stopper

Trail Ninja
    Out of curiosity, what's the desired outcome of a damaged frame from a crash in a rock garden? I ask as a bike manufacturer myself, and because I've been racing a bike from another manufacturer which I've broken (twice), both due to circumstances that have no bearing on the quality of manufacture (rock strikes.)
    If I were to answer this, I'd say that my expectation would be for the crash and damage to not happen in the first place. But then again, that's why I don't shop high performance any more. I shop the Toyota of the bike world, where standards are exceeded, and it's expected for the customer to not inspect and maintain the bike meticulously. In other words, I'm not someone who treats their equipment like a baby or trophy, expecting it to be a precision tool optimized for specific use. I'd instead just look to put miles on it safely and reliably, and expect it to be forgiving to any abuse I dish out.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

Robertson
    Rock strikes happen, and sharp rocks to the side of a swingarm are going to damage both carbon and alu frames. My expectation would be the frame would be tough enough that any failure would not be catastrophic so you could safely get back to car, and a relatively quick/easy crash replacement policy.

I'll add to the long travel discussion above, I almost certainly plan on getting one when available. For me the shorter travel Druid is kind of like an awkward in between with a suspension design that wants to just smash, but geometry angles and amount of travel that can hold you back in higher speed rocky stuff (some of this is due to the amount of available fork travel as well). I think for me the ideal solution is a short travel, snappy and poppy trail bike and a slacked out long travel bump eater. The Druid is in between the two, with an efficient, though sedate, pedaling feel (again this is just my opinion) but exceptional bump eating prowess for its amount of travel (far better than some longer travel Horst link bikes I've owned previously). Having (briefly) ridden the new Spesh Enduro on more gnarly trails where I've ridden my Druid frequently, it makes me very excited for what a long travel Forbidden bike could be.

mtbr member
    Rock strikes happen, and sharp rocks to the side of a swingarm are going to damage both carbon and alu frames. My expectation would be the frame would be tough enough that any failure would not be catastrophic so you could safely get back to car, and a relatively quick/easy crash replacement policy.

I'll add to the long travel discussion above, I almost certainly plan on getting one when available. For me the shorter travel Druid is kind of like an awkward in between with a suspension design that wants to just smash, but geometry angles and amount of travel that can hold you back in higher speed rocky stuff (some of this is due to the amount of available fork travel as well). I think for me the ideal solution is a short travel, snappy and poppy trail bike and a slacked out long travel bump eater. The Druid is in between the two, with an efficient, though sedate, pedaling feel (again this is just my opinion) but exceptional bump eating prowess for its amount of travel (far better than some longer travel Horst link bikes I've owned previously). Having (briefly) ridden the new Spesh Enduro on more gnarly trails where I've ridden my Druid frequently, it makes me very excited for what a long travel Forbidden bike could be.
    good answer my dude

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast