Forbidden Bike Co Druid - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    I'm 220lbs riding weight and ShockWiz had my optimal PSI set to 221psi but I'm running it at 210psi at the moment. Still experimenting to be honest...

The reviewer on Vital ran his at 20/24% sag (ergo higher PSI to body weight ratio)

Seems like there's a wide range that's acceptable for sag (and hence PSI) on this bike:

Current DPX2 Settings:
    Rebound: 5 clicks from fully closed
    Compression: 9 clicks from fully closed
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    ...The reviewer on Vital ran his at 20/24% sag (ergo higher PSI to body weight ratio)

Seems like there's a wide range that's acceptable for sag (and hence PSI) on this bike...
    I saw that. There is also an exchange on this point in the questions section below the VitalMTB article.

This is the first bike I have NOT run at 20-24% SAG. My 2015 Range, which AFAIK was one of Owen Pemberton's first major foray's into a rearward axle path and HUGE AS, got hung up in the chunk badly at anything higher than 25% SAG.

Agreed though - the Druid seems to ride great in a wide range of PSI settings. One of many really awesome aspects about this bike. While on some of my past bikes I searched for the perfect setting among varying levels of shittiness, it seems to generally be varying levels of nothing but goodness with this bike as I fiddle with the settings (if that makes sense).

Edit: I just saw the rest of your shock settings. I am at 4 clicks from fully open on rebound, but fully open on LSC.

On a different point, based on your earlier posts, I guess need to consider doing some surgery one the idler. To be 100% candid, I don't notice any increased driveline resistance. Only increased driveline noise.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    I didn't think so on the Idler either until I pulled it to work on the main pivot. I rotated it with my hand (had removed it off the bike) and it didn't seem very smooth - I'll try rotating it without the chain and installed on the bike and see if there's any drag.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have settled on my body weight which is 185 naked. This is also what Forbidden recommends. J

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    I have settled on my body weight which is 185 naked. This is also what Forbidden recommends. J
    Interesting. Thanks YK.

Where did you get that info from? Did you email them and ask them that? I have contacted them a few times about certain things and got nothing but crickets in return.

Also, I don’t really understand. What if I ride packless one day, and then go with a fully loaded pack the next day, including 3 litres of water? Surely the optimal PSI would change, would it not? What exactly did Forbidden recommend?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just serviced the rear shock and there is a .2 volume spacer stock. J

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anyone ever read the technical docs and read the 557.1 max fork length? I know the bike is supposed to be 150 max travel, but the 557.1 axel to crown length is literally fox 36. Would it matter if I nudge above that with literally any other 150 fork?

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackem View Post
    Anyone ever read the technical docs and read the 557.1 max fork length? I know the bike is supposed to be 150 max travel, but the 557.1 axel to crown length is literally fox 36. Would it matter if I nudge above that with literally any other 150 fork?
    Yah, I'm doing a Pike Ultimate 150 on my build, and it's a few mm too long. Hopefully, there will be an update to the spec shortly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    mtnbkrmike won't be the only Forbidden rider in town, as of last week a buddy is now carrying them in one of the local shops...and I think I've been convinced to wait on an XL.

high pivot witchcraft
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    mtnbkrmike won't be the only Forbidden rider in town, as of last week a buddy is now carrying them in one of the local shops...and I think I've been convinced to wait on an XL.
    Interesting. I know it’s not Bow. I just called Calgary Cycle and it’s not them either. Who oh who could it be?

Great though if someone local has picked them up. It’s a great bike for everything from West Bragg and up. People see the HSP and jump to the conclusion it’s something way beyond a trail bike. I guess it is a bit but I would say that it’s the funnest FS bike I have ever owned for the local terrain (as well as for Fernie, Golden and Revy). I need to grab spare parts though. I am super paranoid I could be left high and dry if something unique goes sideways on it.

EDIT: Just checked Forbidden’s website. The Inside Line Mountain Bike Service. To be honest, I have never heard of them. Good for them though. Looks like they have some ties with MMTBS. It’s a perfect bike for Moose. I can attest to the fact that it did not disappoint climbing Family Guy, descending SHAFT, then climbing the Husky fire road and descending Loamzilla.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I got excited when I read this post, before stalking your profile and seeing you were from Canada. I'm really interested in the Druid, but I would be very hesitant to plunk down without a demo. I've never been on a high pivot bike and worry that I might miss some poppiness that comes with similarly capable slightly longer travel bikes like the Ripmo. Or I might not at all. It's just hard to know without riding it and so plunking down over 5k for a reasonable build at Fanatik is probably unlikely.

I'd need an XL anyway, though, so I can afford to wait and hope for some sort of expansion of distribution/demo tour in the next year or two.

mtbr member
    My E13 Upper Idler Pulley was not spinning smoothly and to Forbidden's credit, there is a replacement en route. I have a trip planned this week though and needed to get this resolved ASAP so I got another 6902 bearing and swapped it out. Happy to say it is spinning much better with the new bearing.

by ChainWhip, on Flickr

by ChainWhip, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've been extremely interested in this bike...No where to demo so it would be buying blind. Just curious for those who own one...on the sitting position. Does it feel like you're "IN" the bike or "on top" of the bike?

2 bikes i can think of is Trek Remedy feels like you're on top of the bike and the Pivot Mach 5.5 feels like you're IN the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Does anyone know if there are plans for build kits rather than just frame only in the future? I thought I remember reading that at one point, but now I'm not sure where. Going through Fanatik's website, it looks like the Druid is ~500 more than the Ibis Ripmo when similarly equipped despite having basically the same frame only price.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Does anyone know if there are plans for build kits rather than just frame only in the future? I thought I remember reading that at one point, but now I'm not sure where. Going through Fanatik's website, it looks like the Druid is ~500 more than the Druid when similarly equipped despite having basically the same frame only price.
    I have seen countless comments in reviews and elsewhere that build kits would be offered at some point by Forbidden. Who knows though. Not sure if or when. I would call Forbidden directly and ask.

I have read your last sentence numerous times and must confess that I don’t understand what you are saying. I am probably just tired...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmrmusic26 View Post
    I've been extremely interested in this bike...No where to demo so it would be buying blind. Just curious for those who own one...on the sitting position. Does it feel like you're "IN" the bike or "on top" of the bike?

2 bikes i can think of is Trek Remedy feels like you're on top of the bike and the Pivot Mach 5.5 feels like you're IN the bike.
    I'm coming off of Evil bikes and those are really low slung in terms of frame weight distribution - and yeah, you're really "in" the bike with the Evils (probably more so than any other brand I've ridden).

With the Druid (even though it's a high pivot), it feels similar to the Evils in that the CoG is relatively low. It's very agile side-to-side because of this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Druid was initially reported as being $2999. Ended up being $3099. If you “add a shock” it bumps up the price $400 more. So maybe that’s the $500?

Fanatik is kinda shit for distribution. Only 2 black frames in stock for a month now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I have read your last sentence numerous times and must confess that I don’t understand what you are saying. I am probably just tired...

Nope, definitely my fault. I wrote Druid twice when I meant to write Ripmo the second time. I used Fanatik bikes website to build the Druid up with a similar spec to the Ripmo's XT build.

I might call and ask at some point, but until they have XL frames, it's a moot point for me.

The extra hundred on the frame is part of it, but if you choose the DPX2 rather than the X2, it's not any extra for the shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I read a bit of a blurb on vitalmtb and Pinkbike, owners are reporting that on a 10 tooth cog the chain drags on the seatstay. Anyone confirm this, and what cog does it stop dragging?

high pivot witchcraft
    I read a bit of a blurb on vitalmtb and Pinkbike, owners are reporting that on a 10 tooth cog the chain drags on the seatstay. Anyone confirm this, and what cog does it stop dragging?
    I have to think this is complete bullshit.

Did they post pics?

That said, I will try to post pics of the clearance later this evening. Maybe I am wrong but I would be shocked if I am. That said, I am rarely in the 10 tooth cog.

I’m running an XO Eagle/Next R drivetrain with a 30 tooth ring.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My chain drags in the 10 tooth on the seat stay protector on the stand. Didn't notice it on the bike though. Running an E 13 casette with a 9 tooth small cog would not work. J

Off the back...
    First couple of rides done:
    - Climbing is ridiculously efficient. The BB is lower than what I'm used to (Trek Slash and Ibis Ripmo), but not so low that it was an issue. There was no bob while climbing. At all.
    - Noise level is quite low. I'm running XT 12 speed, and the chain is wearing down the upper pulley already, so it's getting quieter. Still, I only hear it under heavy loads.
    - Jumping is nice on this bike. I cased a few times and barely noticed. Lowering the bar height helped make the bike more balanced.
    - The handling is quick without being twitchy. Again, the lower bar height helped make it feel balanced.

It still needs a few tweaks to the setup, but I'm pretty happy so far.

high pivot witchcraft
    My chain drags in the 10 tooth on the seat stay protector on the stand. Didn't notice it on the bike though. Running an E 13 casette with a 9 tooth small cog would not work. J
    I checked mine tonight, while preping it for tomorrow's ride. I have zero driveline rub in any cog. Again, XO Eagle and a 30 tooth RaceFace Next R crank.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    - Climbing is ridiculously efficient. The BB is lower than what I'm used to (Trek Slash and Ibis Ripmo), but not so low that it was an issue. There was no bob while climbing. At all.
    - Noise level is quite low. I'm running XT 12 speed, and the chain is wearing down the upper pulley already, so it's getting quieter. Still, I only hear it under heavy loads.
    - Jumping is nice on this bike. I cased a few times and barely noticed. Lowering the bar height helped make the bike more balanced.
    - The handling is quick without being twitchy. Again, the lower bar height helped make it feel balanced.

I am the opposite. I want to raise my bar another 10mm. I'm using a RaceFace Next R bar - uncut at 800mm and 20 mm rise - but my stem is almost slammed (my fork is off my old bike - the steerer tube is a bit short for my liking).

Are you running a 150 fork?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    I checked mine tonight, while preping it for tomorrow's ride. I have zero driveline rub in any cog. Again, XO Eagle and a 30 tooth RaceFace Next R crank.

I am the opposite. I want to raise my bar another 10mm. I'm using a RaceFace Next R bar - uncut at 800mm and 20 mm rise - but my stem is almost slammed (my fork is off my old bike - the steerer tube is a bit short for my liking).

Are you running a 150 fork?
    I'm on a 140 Pike with ~30mm spacers under the Turbine 50mm stem on a Next R bar with 20mm rise. I felt like I was too tall on the bike, to the point that I was in the back seat, which made the front push in corners.

high pivot witchcraft
    Went for a nice fall ride today with some friends. I met up with a group who started talking to me about the Druid. One of them was a friend of the owner of Inside Line Mountain Bike Service of Calgary. He told me the owner has a Large built and a medium frame he is in the process of building. He demoed the large yesterday and was blown away. Apparently the large is currently available for demos for anyone in the Calgary area.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member

Awesome - glad you are liking - let's see some pictures!

This bike can climb and pedal with best of them. I am setting a number of PRs climbing this bike. It doesn't always feel like it it but it is motoring up the mountain. I am alway shocked when I look at the times.

Its like a bruiser trail bike that pedals very well. It is fun!

I am also finding that I am running less spacers under the stem with this bike, as it feels more balanced. This is accounting for stack height differences amongst my other bikes and this is the lowest, but it feels great!

mtbr member
    A little sneak peek on the XL Druid

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Xfo3ZnMHt

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    A little sneak peek on the XL Druid

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Xfo3ZnMHt
    Interesting. I emailed them a week ago to ask about the XL and potential build kits, but got no response.

high pivot witchcraft
    Interesting. I emailed them a week ago to ask about the XL and potential build kits, but got no response.
    Some have had luck emailing them. Me? None. Zero. I ended up building up the frame with no input on any of the questions I asked. Whatever. It turned out great.

Same as the website. “Coming soon” has been up there since the website was first created.

It makes me very uncomfortable wondering what will happen when something unique breaks and I need support.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Some have had luck emailing them. Me? None. Zero. I ended up building up the frame with no input on any of the questions I asked. Whatever. It turned out great.

Same as the website. “Coming soon” has been up there since the website was first created.

It makes me very uncomfortable wondering what will happen when something unique breaks and I need support.
    I feel the same way. I'm very interested in the bike, but things like this make me a tiny bit worried for the same reason. I currently have a Santa Cruz and - say what you will about the company - it's nice knowing that if something goes wrong I am sure I can get it taken care of.

mtbr member
    I've gotten email responses for everything so far - it might not be on-the-spot / right away like WeAreOneComposites or OnyxRacing, but Forbidden has dealt with all my queries and requests to my satisfaction to date.

YMMV of course.

Did I mention how much I <3 this bike?

Fanatik has been a good support resource as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Maybe it’s just hit or miss with emails? I think it took like maybe 5 days for my request for info back from them.

FYI stand over height is measured 200mm from the top-center of seat tube.

mtbr member
    I have settled on my body weight which is 185 naked. This is also what Forbidden recommends.
    I would not trust any bike company that recommends nude riding. At least wear a helmet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

It took them two weeks to get back to me via email. Told my late Nov for the XL's to be in stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I feel the same way. I'm very interested in the bike, but things like this make me a tiny bit worried for the same reason. I currently have a Santa Cruz and - say what you will about the company - it's nice knowing that if something goes wrong I am sure I can get it taken care of.
    As things tend to happen, Forbidden got back to me today. Thanks, Forbidden!

They expect to have the XLs landing in December, but there has been above expected demand for them, so availability will be limited. They didn't have any updates on full builds. They hope to offer them at some point, but don't have any concrete details. I get the feeling that demand for frames may have been even stronger than they anticipated in some sectors, so full builds aren't of primary concern at the moment. Which is good as I wish them all the success they can get!

mtbr member
    I'm hoping WeAreOneComposites are making their next bike...

high pivot witchcraft
    Hahaha! I understand Dustin and Owen are good buddies. Who knows?

As an aside, my Druid is sporting Insiders. My Honzo is sporting Agents.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Hahaha! I understand Dustin and Owen are good buddies. Who knows?

As an aside, my Druid is sporting Insiders. My Honzo is sporting Agents.
    I've got a set of Factions on the Druid right now (had Unions on there last week).

WA1 are in process of making a bike frame based a recent interview I read.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/we-are-one-composites/

What’s next on the agenda for We Are One?
    We are a company of firsts. First manufacturer in Canada to produce a carbon fiber mountain bike rim, first to produce a carbon mountain bike bar, and we will continue. We are in the early stages of a bike frame and will hope to have something to show the public in 2020. I want to build as many components here for our bike and sell a bike that offers something no other company can when it comes to carbon fiber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Put a Super Deluxe Coil on my Druid, and it is definetly suitable for a coil, im 170 and I needed a 350 spring to get 30% sag. If you’re much lighter it may be tough to get the correct spring rate.

The bike definetly feels better in the end stroke which with the DPX2 was too progressive. Im still dialing it in but think that Coil is a good idea for this bike if youre considering it. Just be ready to try a lighter spring than usual, on my Kona Process 153 and Intense Recluse I was on 450lb springs to get the same sag as the 350 on the druid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Maybe...all of them have been riding Druids this season.

That would be AMAZING if they got together to design the enduro bike.

high pivot witchcraft
    Maybe...all of them have been riding Druids this season.

That would be AMAZING if they got together to design the enduro bike.
    This is true. Dustin and his associate, Jordan, are enjoying their own personal Druids.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/not-a-ty...-the-kbra.html

And yes - it would be amazing if Forbidden and We Are One joined forces and did a joint release.

In a strange turn of events, I actually ended up with Dustin's frame that he had ordered. Being the stellar dude that he is, he gave me the last large black and took a gloss moss instead. True story.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone 183-184cm running a large frame? The frames are quite rare in the UK and although I’m interested in the Druid I’m a little concerned about the sizing.
    I currently run a large SB4.5 and was intending to replace with an SB130. Yet the bike felt small and not particularly playful.
    On paper the numbers are similar. Hence my concern.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofbiscuits View Post
    Anyone 183-184cm running a large frame? The frames are quite rare in the UK and although I’m interested in the Druid I’m a little concerned about the sizing.
    I currently run a large SB4.5 and was intending to replace with an SB130. Yet the bike felt small and not particularly playful.
    On paper the numbers are similar. Hence my concern.
    I am about 180cm (5’11”). I have a 34 inch inseam. I weigh 185 lbs (in the morning, out of the shower). Long arms and legs and lean as can be. I have a large. I would NOT want a medium. I like larger, rather than smaller frames. In my view, the large Druid fits me perfectly (subject to maybe 10mm more rise).

If it matters, 150mm 36 fork, 50mm stem, 180mm bar with 20mm rise and no spacers. I may prefer 10mm more rise and am thinking about borrowing a 30 or even 40mm rise bar from my LBS to try.

Happy to measure ape index if you wish, or answer any further questions.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    After some time riding this bike on a coil here is what I think.

1. Unless you are 170lbs and over it is very limited on spring options as I needed a 350lb spring to get 30% Sag on my Super Deluxe Coil at 170lbs.

2. The bike is glued to the ground, this thing charges in a straight line better than 160 bikes ive ridden. I wouldnt say it feels like a magic carpet but if you point it where you want to go it hauls.

3. The air shock feels happier making quick tight turns and also popping over stuff. I also found that the DPX2 ran best around 33% sag with Zero Volume spacers, it would bottom slightly on bigger hits, but nothing harsh.

4. This bike is the best bike ive ridden but for my style I think im going to try out a Super Deluxe Air with a Meg Neg aircan. Thats my favorite shock and think it would be awesome on this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How does a dropper post cable route through the Druid frame and attach to the post? I see the maximum insertion numbers but am unsure if that number includes cable bend at dropper post bottom.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmxtrdr View Post
    How does a dropper post cable route through the Druid frame and attach to the post? I see the maximum insertion numbers but am unsure if that number includes cable bend at dropper post bottom.
    Thanks
    There's a large cover on the underside of the downtube just in front of the BB area that allows access to this.

I believe you run the cable down the downtube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There's a large cover on the underside of the downtube just in front of the BB area that allows access to this.

I believe you run the cable down the downtube.
    Thanks

I see the access cover, what I’m trying to find out is whether the maximum insertion figures quoted (220mm for small and 240 for medium) include the cable routing at the bottom of the dropper post.

Off the back...
    Thanks

I see the access cover, what I’m trying to find out is whether the maximum insertion figures quoted (220mm for small and 240 for medium) include the cable routing at the bottom of the dropper post.
    I was able to fully insert a OneUp V2 210mm dropper in my large, and it has 297mm insert length including the actuator on the bottom of the post. The large Druid is advertised as having a max insertion of 270mm, so it would appear there is some leeway there. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was able to fully insert a OneUp V2 210mm dropper in my large, and it has 297mm insert length including the actuator on the bottom of the post. The large Druid is advertised as having a max insertion of 270mm, so it would appear there is some leeway there. YMMV.
    Good to hear. Thanks

high pivot witchcraft
    My E13 Upper Idler Pulley was not spinning smoothly and to Forbidden's credit, there is a replacement en route. I have a trip planned this week though and needed to get this resolved ASAP so I got another 6902 bearing and swapped it out. Happy to say it is spinning much better with the new bearing.

by ChainWhip, on Flickr

by ChainWhip, on Flickr
    Boom. Just like that I got nailed with the same thing. Pooched bearing in the idler pulley.

I sent a couple of emails off to Forbidden today but have heard nothing. I hope I hear from them. Does anyone have a telephone number or other contact info other than their email?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Boom. Just like that I got nailed with the same thing. Pooched bearing in the idler pulley.

I sent a couple of emails off to Forbidden today but have heard nothing. I hope I hear from them. Does anyone have a telephone number or other contact info other than their email?
    No Ph# - just email. Weekend so probably slower to respond - maybe try hitting them up on IG or FB. They sent me a replacement BTW. Try your shop too.

6902 bearing if you have access to tools to pull and press it in. Took me about 5 min.

Enduro recommended these for SS bearings:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...2-LLU-MAX.html

I ended up getting the XD-15's.

mtbr member
    In the market for a long travel (~150-160mm) 29r - hopefully Forbidden has one up their sleeves soon?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Does the Druid’s rear end squat or anti-squat (extend) when the rear brake is applied?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anti-squat is a characteristic of peddling forces on suspension. Peddle bob is the undesired trait.

Anti-rise is a characteristic of braking forces on suspension. Brake jack is the undesired trait.

The idler deals with the anti-squat. The high pivot suspension causes rear center to extend, and others have stated they get brake jack.

high pivot witchcraft
    No Ph# - just email. Weekend so probably slower to respond - maybe try hitting them up on IG or FB. They sent me a replacement BTW. Try your shop too.

6902 bearing if you have access to tools to pull and press it in. Took me about 5 min.

Enduro recommended these for SS bearings:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...2-LLU-MAX.html

I ended up getting the XD-15's.
    Thanks tons. I am going to PM you if that's ok.

I can honestly say that with the chain on, I could not detect any resistance in the driveline from the idler pulley. But with the chain off, it's clearly f'ed. It's going to be interesting to see how that bike rides once I get a non-crunchy idler pulley on there.

Kinda concerned this seems to be happening with some degree of regularity, but also excited to see if I notice a material difference in resistance once it's swapped out.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anti-squat is a characteristic of peddling forces on suspension. Peddle bob is the undesired trait.

Anti-rise is a characteristic of braking forces on suspension. Brake jack is the undesired trait.

The idler deals with the anti-squat. The high pivot suspension causes rear center to extend, and others have stated they get brake jack.
    Thanks for the reply. The term brake jack used to describe the Druid’s braking is my hang up here as I have heard people call forward weight shift from rear braking brake jack, and rear end squatting brake jack. Which one does the Druid exhibit?

high pivot witchcraft
    Thanks for the reply. The term brake jack used to describe the Druid’s braking is my hang up here as I have heard people call forward weight shift from rear braking brake jack, and rear end squatting brake jack. Which one does the Druid exhibit?
    I am going to wait for others with more experience with kinematics to chime in. That said, I know exactly how I would answer this query...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am going to wait for others with more experience with kinematics to chime in. That said, I know exactly how I would answer this query...
    Please, answer away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    The Druid is a squatting type of brake jack, its not super harsh but it definetly keeps the rear wheel on the ground and you feel that a litte bit. Its not a bad trait at all for me and its a lot of personal preference what you like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRCD47 View Post
    The Druid is a squatting type of brake jack, its not super harsh but it definetly keeps the rear wheel on the ground and you feel that a litte bit. Its not a bad trait at all for me and its a lot of personal preference what you like.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I can honestly say that with the chain on, I could not detect any resistance in the driveline from the idler pulley. But with the chain off, it's clearly f'ed. It's going to be interesting to see how that bike rides once I get a non-crunchy idler pulley on there.

Kinda concerned this seems to be happening with some degree of regularity, but also excited to see if I notice a material difference in resistance once it's swapped out.
    I’ll chime in quickly on the idler pulley bearing, my stock Enduro 6902 Max bearing was also destroyed in 6 months. I pulled it off the idler mount a few times and noticed it was not smooth and very crunchy. I repacked it once with Phil Wood grease and I don’t think it helped very much.

I spoke to Cheezwip and went with the recommendation of the Stainless Steel 6902 Enduro Max bearing ($15). I made a simple bearing press with a 1/4” bolt and washers which worked great in a pinch.

Overall I think the idler bearing does have a large effect on the efficiency of drivetrain especially under load even though you may not notice it by spinning the cranks. First ride on it and I noticed it immediately, we did an 11 mile loop I've done this season a few times and the new bearing definitely made a difference. The bike felt like I remembered it when it was new and I was not as tired at the end of the long climb. My advice to people that are feeling the frame is sluggish at times is to check the idler bearing.

mtbr member
    Sure thing - nobody's stopping ya hahah

I can tell a difference but my BB was jacked too so I swapped that out also... can't know for sure if it was just the Idler or both and to which degree each contributed to the drag.

mtbr member
    Hey Everyone,
    I am looking to replace my current 150mm squish 27.5 bike with a 130-140mm 29er as my one quiver bike. This is for 90% natural trail/all mountain use, no full on DH tracks or bike parks. Very good technical climbing ability and descending chops are equally important to me. Am super intrigued by the Druid and totally dig the design and geometry numbers. Those of you that have now spent some riding time on the Druid, is it a good match as good all around one quiver bike? In terms of frame quality and craftmenship, do you think it's made to last?

Don't really have opportunities to do any demo rides, but at least on paper I have kind of narrowed it down to the Druid or Knolly Fugitive LT. Yup, carbon vs alu and very different suspension designs, but I think overall intent of these 2 bikes is very similar, if not identical. Am agnostic in terms of frame material and don't care all that much about half kilo heavier weight of the Fugitive. Ride quality, frame quality and vendor support are way more important to me. What say you?
    Last edited by fizzywater; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling errors

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzywater View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    I am looking to replace my current 150mm squish 27.5 bike with a 130-140mm 29er as my one quiver bike. This is for 90% natural trail/all mountain use, no full on DH tracks or bike parks. Very good technical climbing ability and descending chops are equally important to me. Am super intrigued by the Druid and totally dig the design and geometry numbers. Those of you that have now spent some riding time on the Druid, is it a good match as good all around one quiver bike? In terms of frame quality and craftmenship, do you think it's made to last?

Don't really have opportunities to do any demo rides, but at least on paper I have kind of narrowed it down to the Druid or Knolly Fugitive LT. Yup, carbon vs alu and very different suspension designs, but I think overall intent of these 2 bikes is very similar, if not identical. Am agnostic in terms of frame material and don't care all that much about half kilo heavier weight of the Fugitive. Ride quality, frame quality and vendor support are way more important to me. What say you?
    Hey there, I came from from a Kona Process 153 27.5 so similar to you. This bike can handle just as much as that bike could but it is even faster and it makes better use of its travel. Ive ridden lots of bikes and this is my favorite and I wont be selling it for a long time.

Things that make it super unique is the HSP and also how they make sure to adjust the rear center length for each size frame. Thats the main reason I bought it. The geo is very good, and its quick to feel comfortable on.

It isnt the lightest bike in the world but its not a porker either, climbs well, descends amazing, works well with a coil and will hold a good resale value because not many people have them. The pivots and craftsmenship defineitly feel built to last.

Robertson
    Funny you should post this, I just got a Druid and my other bike is a Knolly Fugitive LT. I'm still working on suspension settings on the Druid but so far it seems to be pretty much even with the Knolly on technical climbing and ahead on high speed descending through rough stuff. The Knolly did slower speed turns better and was slightly more nimble. Knolly had better braking traction. Druid is better looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Funny you should post this, I just got a Druid and my other bike is a Knolly Fugitive LT. I'm still working on suspension settings on the Druid but so far it seems to be pretty much even with the Knolly on technical climbing and ahead on high speed descending through rough stuff. The Knolly did slower speed turns better and was slightly more nimble. Knolly had better braking traction. Druid is better looking.
    Very interesting the direct comparison. Thanks for the feedback! Since they seem redundant in overall intent, any decision yet which one you are going to keep and why?

BTW, I pulled the trigger on the Druid last night and should receive it on Friday. Can't wait. I think going with the Fugitive LT would have been perfectly fine too, but deep down I wanted the Druid, so I stuck with my intuition.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    How do you feel about the poppiness of the bikes? I road the Knolly not long ago and wasn't super excited about it. It might have been the shock set up, but it was less than excited to pop up over small trail features. It had great climbing traction though.

mtbr member
    The Druid is just about as playful / poppy as my Evil Calling was.

Robertson
    The druid is a size larger so more stable than the Knolly, not a huge difference in poppiness I've noticed but perhaps any difference is negated by the size difference. I'm keeping both but the Knolly is going to my girlfriend, it was too small for me but is perfect size for her

high pivot witchcraft
    The druid is a size larger so more stable than the Knolly, not a huge difference in poppiness I've noticed but perhaps any difference is negated by the size difference. I'm keeping both but the Knolly is going to my girlfriend, it was too small for me but is perfect size for her
    I thought you said the Knolly was going to be your girlfriend. I was wondering what the Druid was going to be. Possibly your mistress...

Lucky GF btw!
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I also ordered mine a couple of weeks back after i sold my Ibis Ripley V4. I am currently waiting patiently until it arrives before Christmas and watching/reading everything that is Forbidden druid related to feed my hunger !
    It is the first time i ordered a bike which i have never ridden before! Let's see...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by manos-t View Post
    I also ordered mine a couple of weeks back after i sold my Ibis Ripley V4. I am currently waiting patiently until it arrives before Christmas and watching/reading everything that is Forbidden druid related to feed my hunger !
    It is the first time i ordered a bike which i have never ridden before! Let's see...
    I'll be interested to hear your feelings as the Ripley V4 is another bike I'm considering for my next ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Well, i was almost 10 years into road-gravel-hardtails and that was my first real full suspension mtb so take everything with a pinch of salt.
    The frame quality was OK, it also depends with what you are comparing it. Mine had that issue that some V4 have under the seatclamps where the paint looks bad.
    That of course is nothing really important, but when i was comparing the frame/paint quality with one of my friends' Revel Rascal, you could tell that the Rascal frame was way better built( and from what i hear the Druid aswell). I usually end up breaking my bikes, but for 3k, i would expect a better quality control.
    It was a fun bike, climbed well and i think i got why it is so popular. It was my first time on a DW link bike so in the beginning i got really excited. But taking into consideration that as a 200+ lbs rider (mostly fit) with 5% of the skills of Jeff Kendall Weed, when it came to the decends, i couldnt feel the hype of the really capable on the descends bike that i was keep hearing. At high speeds it was feeling sketchy (even after i switched from fox34 to a pike) and while you theoretically could go really fast, i didnt feel confident ( trails with some steep sections mostly rooty and flowy, not something crazy).
    My point is, for me that i have this specific background, i dont really care only for the climbing. Again, it would be a wise idea to go and demo one in order to see if you like it or not because everything except the quality part is a bit subjective
    Also from what i hear from how the Druid rides, i would compare it to the Ripmo, if you want something equally capable. Again, i havent ridden the Druid yet and had the Ripmo for a couple of days!
    Now why i chose the Druid? The guys behind the company seem to be legit and it is a new idea that also have some really good unbiased reviews.
    Plus the shop that i ordered it online was extremely helpful!
    Now i have to choose, lyrik or fox 36?

mtbr member
    Now i have to choose, lyrik or fox 36?
    I’m in the same boat trying to decide between Lyrik, Fox 36 and possibly also Manitou Mezzer. Going with the Mezzer would rob me of the option to transfer the Smashpot coil I have on my Pike, whereas transferring to Lyrik or Fox 36 would not be an issue. First world problems .

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Well my issue is that i can't really justify the price difference of the Ultimate vs fit4/grip2. It is almost 500 euro in Europe!

Off the back...
    Well my issue is that i can't really justify the price difference of the Ultimate vs fit4/grip2. It is almost 500 euro in Europe!
    I've been riding Fox 36 forks for years, and even when I was closer to 200 lbs with gear, they were always a bit too firm/harsh for my liking. The one I had on my Trek Slash last year had a Vorsprung Luftkappe and GRIP2 damper which got it pretty close to what I like [I have a Fox 40 with GRIP2 on my DH bike, and it's excellent], but not quite. This past summer I had an Ibis Ripmo with a regular 36 and ran into the same problems as before - just a bit too harsh. I went with a Pike Ultimate on my Druid, and so far I'm very happy with it. The HSC adjustment is very effective, going from super-plush to super-firm in 4 clicks.

Regarding the Ripmo, I wasn't particularly impressed. My Slash was a slightly better climber and far better descender. If the Slash had a steeper seat angle, it would have completely crushed the Ripmo on the climbs. I bought my Druid without ever riding it or even seeing it in person. It's better than the Ripmo on both the climbs and descents, which is a major relief. On the same trails, it's faster and smoother.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey, anyone here stick a chris king headset in their druid? Just wondering and making sure it is an Inset 2 model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I've been riding Fox 36 forks for years, and even when I was closer to 200 lbs with gear, they were always a bit too firm/harsh for my liking. The one I had on my Trek Slash last year had a Vorsprung Luftkappe and GRIP2 damper which got it pretty close to what I like [I have a Fox 40 with GRIP2 on my DH bike, and it's excellent], but not quite. This past summer I had an Ibis Ripmo with a regular 36 and ran into the same problems as before - just a bit too harsh. I went with a Pike Ultimate on my Druid, and so far I'm very happy with it. The HSC adjustment is very effective, going from super-plush to super-firm in 4 clicks.
    140 or 150mm travel with the pike?
    I was thinking the pike in the beginning, but then i thought of the Lyrik and then the Fox 36. Too many choices and i am pretty sure that it will ride really good with any of these forks.

mtbr member
    The Fox 36 forks tend to have too much SlickHoney applied to the air shaft at the piston - this often is the cause of that harsh feeling.

Off the back...
    140 or 150mm travel with the pike?
    I was thinking the pike in the beginning, but then i thought of the Lyrik and then the Fox 36. Too many choices and i am pretty sure that it will ride really good with any of these forks.
    It's at 140 right now, but I have a 150 air spring that I might drop in. Yes, any of the forks would work fine.

Off the back...
    The Fox 36 forks tend to have too much SlickHoney applied to the air shaft at the piston - this often is the cause of that harsh feeling.
    I've found that it's the HSC circuit combined with a small-ish negative air chamber.

high pivot witchcraft
    Last Pike I had was wallowy AF. Horrible for the steep and deep. I tried everything. Tokens, ShockWiz, MRP Ramp Control, maintenance of a journal of all my tweaks. Nope. Pure shit. I gave up.

That said, I understand that the particular Pike I had was the single shittiest Pike model ever made.

Running a 36 at 150 on my Druid. Awesome. Running a 34 at 140 on my Honzo. Also awesome. Perfect forks for the terrain I ride. Me and Fox will be together for the rest of this lifetime. Maybe the next one too.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hey guys, has anyone tried the druid with a 160mm fork? Also, any 6' riders on a large? If so, how does it feel. Seems like all the testers in reviews are 5'11".

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am 6 foot but am waiting for the xl. With this size the reach is 485 with a 150 mm fork. This is not that big considering I am coming off a XL santa cruz TB3 (480 reach) with a 50 mm stem and a Pole 158 L (510 reach) with a 30 mm stem.

I prefer a bit of a larger bike and run a smaller stem. People like smaller bikes because they find them flick-able but I wanted a bike like that I would buy a nice dirt jumper and not a high end trail bike.

Anyone here the date that the XL frame is in stock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post

Anyone here the date that the XL frame is in stock?
    Mid november at fanatic (at least what it is mentioned when you try to build one)
    The bikeshop that i ordered it in UK (i ordered a L) told me that the next batch will arrive mid December

high pivot witchcraft
    I’m 5’10.5” tall. 34 inch inseam. 35 inch sleeve length. 185 pounds.

My large is great. No complaints. That said, I could never ride a medium, and I might prefer an XL. The L is as small as I would ever want to go. But I could go bigger for sure.

Then again, unlike the rest of the world, I like my bike frames on the bigger/higher side. Can’t stand short stacks.

The Druid is a long-ish bike but the cockpit is not what I would call roomy.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I’m 5’10.5” tall. 34 inch inseam. 35 inch sleeve length. 185 pounds.

My large is great. No complaints. That said, I could never ride a medium, and I might prefer an XL. The L is as small as I would ever want to go. But I could go bigger for sure.

Then again, unlike the rest of the world, I like my bike frames on the bigger/higher side. Can’t stand short stacks.

The Druid is a long-ish bike but the cockpit is not what I would call roomy.

Everything now with these 76 to 68 degree seat tube angles make the idea of a roomy cockpit somewhat rare. I had a Santa Cruz TB3 Xl and then I rode the TB4 Xl at a demo. It felt smaller because of the seat angle. I like longer bikes, I had a few Mondrakers that I had brought over from Europe. Everyone says they can not handle the tight stuff, bs. People say that without ever riding a longer wheel base bike.

high pivot witchcraft
    Just to follow up on my idler pulley issue, I contacted Forbidden. They were not prepared to treat the blown bearings as a warranty claim. They did offer to send me a new idler pulley assembly for $39.99, plus shipping costs of $9.99. Pretty disappointing but not the end of the world.

I got the new local Forbidden dealer to replace the bearings instead. In and out in 20 minutes. They did a few tweaks to my bike assembly too, which was nice.

This is the difference between buying direct, and buying through your LBS. My LBS would NEVER let me down like that. Ever. I have had shit replaced like this for free long after my idler pulley bearings failed, which was within a few months of relatively light riding (I was on my Honzo WAY more).

Great bike, but (sadly) zero customer satisfaction dealing with Forbidden. Between this and the radio silence to my emails during my build going unanswered, I rate them a fail on customer service. Pretty shit experience so far.

...and no phone number. Awesome.

Maybe I am just a difficult customer. Or in a particularly edgy mood at the moment.

This is reminiscent of the old Santa Cruz days - great bikes but issues with a small, rider run company.

I’m just glad I have a local dealer now. With a phone number.

PS - what really pissed me off about the idler pulley bearing issue is that south of the border, I understand that Fanatik, as distributor, has replaced the idler pulley for free, in identical circumstances. So add inconsistent treatment to my complaints. Again, something to be said about having a middleman to deal with. This is my first and will be my last foray into a direct buy bike purchase. Long live the LBS.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    mtnbikermike, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad CS experience. Thankfully, Cam runs a tight shop and was able to take care of you. My dealings with Forbidden have been excellent, but that in itself is an issue - inconsistent customer service is almost as bad as poor customer service. It takes real effort to create a solid warranty/service team, and Forbidden will likely tighten things up over time. A few of us in this thread may have inside contact info for them - this would be a good opportunity to send suggestions to people who can effect change in the organization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    mtnbikermike I have no info on geometry, but the XL Druid was proportionately bigger than the L, which makes sense.

The geo on their site (for example 485mm reach with a 150 fork) is not going to change is it? I assume what they have had up for 6 months is what they are making.

Off the back...
    The geo on their site (for example 485mm reach with a 150 fork) is not going to change is it? I assume what they have had up for 6 months is what they are making.
    I don't know. I imagine it would stay the same...

high pivot witchcraft
    mtnbikermike, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad CS experience. Thankfully, Cam runs a tight shop and was able to take care of you. My dealings with Forbidden have been excellent, but that in itself is an issue - inconsistent customer service is almost as bad as poor customer service. It takes real effort to create a solid warranty/service team, and Forbidden will likely tighten things up over time. A few of us in this thread may have inside contact info for them - this would be a good opportunity to send suggestions to people who can effect change in the organization.
    That is such an awesome response, on so many fronts. Thank you. I feel much better now because of it.

FWIW, my view is this...

I don't fk around when it comes to bikes. I do not settle for second best. I am willing to pay the asking price, and I don't nickel and dime anyone. But when I lay a thick stack of my hard earned money on the table, with no nickel and diming, I expect the same in return. Petty bullshit is not what I signed up for. It ruins the experience.

There are other nagging (likely insignificant) issues I have had with Forbidden on the CS front as well, but best that these be taken offline.

I love the bike. I love Owen Pemberton. This is my third Owen Pemberton creation in a row. I love that they are Canadian based. I love everything about them. I want them to succeed (however Owen and his crew define "success" - which is not necessarily sales volume). I want them to be around forever. I'm not hating on them. To the contrary. But I am pretty disappointed with the experience I have had to date.

Re Cam and Zach - agreed - 100% solid guys. Cam comes from my LBS that I have been loyally dealing with for well over 2 decades. He does everything I love about my LBS, yet he is small, very personable and patient, and meticulous (I still love my non-Forbidden LBS, but they seem to have strayed a bit from the niche, high end retailer they once were, and what Cam now is).

Anyway, thank you for responding.

In typing this, I realize that I am largely overreacting and being pretty petty myself. Maybe both me and Forbidden can do a hard reset and start things over from afresh. Thanks again.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    That is such an awesome response, on so many fronts. Thank you. I feel much better now because of it.

FWIW, my view is this...

I don't fk around when it comes to bikes. I do not settle for second best. I am willing to pay the asking price, and I don't nickel and dime anyone. But when I lay a thick stack of my hard earned money on the table, with no nickel and diming, I expect the same in return. Petty bullshit is not what I signed up for. It ruins the experience.

There are other nagging (likely insignificant) issues I have had with Forbidden on the CS front as well, but best that these be taken offline.

I love the bike. I love Owen Pemberton. This is my third Owen Pemberton creation in a row. I love that they are Canadian based. I love everything about them. I want them to succeed (however Owen and his crew define "success" - which is not necessarily sales volume). I want them to be around forever. I'm not hating on them. To the contrary. But I am pretty disappointed with the experience I have had to date.

Re Cam and Zach - agreed - 100% solid guys. Cam comes from my LBS that I have been loyally dealing with for well over 2 decades. He does everything I love about my LBS, yet he is small, very personable and patient, and meticulous (I still love my non-Forbidden LBS, but they seem to have strayed a bit from the niche, high end retailer they once were, and what Cam now is).

Anyway, thank you for responding.

In typing this, I realize that I am largely overreacting and being pretty petty myself. Maybe both me and Forbidden can do a hard reset and start things over from afresh. Thanks again.
    Are you still happy with the bike? This warranty stuff is the only think making me Leary. I don't live anywhere near a dealer and they have been pretty inconsistent with communication.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrantorser View Post
    Are you still happy with the bike? This warranty stuff is the only think making me Leary. I don't live anywhere near a dealer and they have been pretty inconsistent with communication.
    Apart from the idler pulley bearings that shit the bed out of the gates, the bike has been stellar. I stand by my earlier posts in this thread as to its capabilities and ride feel. It never disappoints. Along with my Honzo, funnest 1-2 punch I have ever owned. I feel like I have an unfair advantage every time I go for a group ride with it. When I finish a ride, I am immediately thinking about the next one. It makes me want to ride more.

Happy to elaborate on anything.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    I am planning on selling my medium Moss Druid frame with DPX2 and headset. PM me if interested. Its in great shape, as I own and ride multiple bikes. This one is not getting ridden as much hence the sale. I will place an official ad soon, but figured reach out to folks that interested first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I am planning on selling my medium Moss Druid frame with DPX2 and headset. PM me if interested. Its in great shape, as I own and ride multiple bikes. This one is not getting ridden as much hence the sale. I will place an official ad soon, but figured reach out to folks that interested first.
    What other bikes do you have? Can you give us all a bit of a quick comparison on how the Druid compares to your other bikes in the climbing ease, descending speed, descending playfulness axes?

high pivot witchcraft
    What other bikes do you have? Can you give us all a bit of a quick comparison on how the Druid compares to your other bikes in the climbing ease, descending speed, descending playfulness axes?
    Interesting. I too would be interested in some non-sugar coated views on why you are selling the Druid, and what other bikes in your quiver are getting more ride time, and why.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Simply - I wish it was a tad longer.
    Irony - I bought this because of its geometry and it is the reason that I am selling it.

I had an Evil Offering last year, and I didn't jive with the new longer, geometry. However, I didn't want the old school geometry and the Druid was right in the middle. The geometry of the bike makes it is easy to ride. So my reasons for buying it worked out!

I have 3 bikes - Ibis Ripley V4, Druid, and Specialized Enduro 2020.

Ripley - it's a great trail bike, that works best as a trail bike. It's very poppy and playful and encourages you to pedal and hammer the pedals. Its a tad harsh at times - hence why it is best as a trail bike. Some trail bikes can operate into more aggressive trails easily, this is not one of those bikes. Yes, you can ride it on more aggressive trails, its just not as much fun and you will have to go a bit slower. For normal trails - it doesn't get much better and you can go hard and fast.

Druid - it is truly the best pedaler. It is probably the best pedaling bike that I have ever owned. It is the fastest pedaler. I have broken most of my uphill PRs with the Druid. The reason that it doesn't bounce when it hits any trail feature small or large so it lets you keep pedaling uphill with efficiency. When the trail gets really rough, the Druid climbs right up and over. It has climbed sections of trails that I know I will never make on any other bike. As well as it pedals, the pedaling is a bit muted. As Chainwhip has coined it has muted efficiency. The Druid can handle trails, AM trails, and more. It blurs the lines. The downhill is fun and the suspension is awesome. It doesn't feel as bottomless as some bikes, but its not harsh. I haven't noticed any issues with the chainstay growth, etc. It pops easily and its fun to throw around.

Frame is amazing, I love the color, I love everything about the bike. HOWEVER, I wish it was a tad longer. Since riding the Enduro and even the Ripley, I find that these bikes ride best when riding them off of the front. The Ripley can be ridden off the back or on the front. The Enduro definitely requires riding it more off the front. I was able to adjust the Ripley to ride it off the front, which has been a blast. I haven't been able to make this happen with the Druid. Everytime, I find myself riding it off the back no matter what I do - longer stem, rolled forward bars, etc. It just works out riding it off the back. The Druid rides best with a 40mm stem with respect to weighting the bike.

Specialized Enduro 2020 - this is new school geometry and as a guy who didn't like new school geometry, I love the fit of this bike. I am still figuring this bike out, but I really like it. It is the future of biking!

Hope that helps and answers folks questions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Irony - I bought this because of its geometry and it is the reason that I am selling it.

I had an Evil Offering last year, and I didn't jive with the new longer, geometry. However, I didn't want the old school geometry and the Druid was right in the middle. The geometry of the bike makes it is easy to ride. So my reasons for buying it worked out!

Ripley - it's a great trail bike, that works best as a trail bike. It's very poppy and playful and encourages you to pedal and hammer the pedals. Its a tad harsh at times - hence why it is best as a trail bike. Some trail bikes can operate into more aggressive trails easily, this is not one of those bikes. Yes, you can ride it on more aggressive trails, its just not as much fun and you will have to go a bit slower. For normal trails - it doesn't get much better and you can go hard and fast.

Druid - it is truly the best pedaler. It is probably the best pedaling bike that I have ever owned. It is the fastest pedaler. I have broken most of my uphill PRs with the Druid. The reason that it doesn't bounce when it hits any trail feature small or large so it lets you keep pedaling uphill with efficiency. When the trail gets really rough, the Druid climbs right up and over. It has climbed sections of trails that I know I will never make on any other bike. As well as it pedals, the pedaling is a bit muted. As Chainwhip has coined it has muted efficiency. The Druid can handle trails, AM trails, and more. It blurs the lines. The downhill is fun and the suspension is awesome. It doesn't feel as bottomless as some bikes, but its not harsh. I haven't noticed any issues with the chainstay growth, etc. It pops easily and its fun to throw around.

Frame is amazing, I love the color, I love everything about the bike. HOWEVER, I wish it was a tad longer. Since riding the Enduro and even the Ripley, I find that these bikes ride best when riding them off of the front. The Ripley can be ridden off the back or on the front. The Enduro definitely requires riding it more off the front. I was able to adjust the Ripley to ride it off the front, which has been a blast. I haven't been able to make this happen with the Druid. Everytime, I find myself riding it off the back no matter what I do - longer stem, rolled forward bars, etc. It just works out riding it off the back. The Druid rides best with a 40mm stem with respect to weighting the bike.

Specialized Enduro 2020 - this is new school geometry and as a guy who didn't like new school geometry, I love the fit of this bike. I am still figuring this bike out, but I really like it. It is the future of biking!

You think you should have went up a size then?

high pivot witchcraft

Some of your comments mirror mine - especially with respect to climbing. I cleaned parts in Fernie this summer that I have never been able to clean on any other bike. Not sure about PRs as I am not a Strava guy, but I would say the bike climbs more slow and steady, reliably clawing its way from bottom to top, than with PR speed necessarily.

Do you plan on replacing it and if so, with what?

Not a lot of negatives in your mini-review. We may have to wait for your post-sale comments :-)

PS - I may have missed it, but did you mention your height? What about sleeve length and inseam?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    You think you should have went up a size then?
    Good question...at the time, no! Now - I am not sure. I don't have an issue with the fit. In the saddle - it feels great. It just rides best off the back.

The Ripley V4 and Druid are nearly the same size, the Ripley has a shorter front center. I don't understand why I can ride this bike off the front and not the Druid. If I could figure this out, I would keep it, because it is a great bike. The large is a bit longer and not sure if I could ride it, especially with my short legs! I wish I could try - would require a trip to Washington to ride Chainwhips! It always nice to visit friends!

mtbr member
    Some of your comments mirror mine - especially with respect to climbing. I cleaned parts in Fernie this summer that I have never been able to clean on any other bike. Not sure about PRs as I am not a Strava guy, but I would say the bike climbs more slow and steady, reliably clawing its way from bottom to top, than with PR speed necessarily.

Do you plan on replacing it and if so, with what?

Not a lot of negatives in your mini-review. We may have to wait for your post-sale comments :-)

PS - I may have missed it, but did you mention your height? What about sleeve length and inseam?
    I really don't have much negatives, even if I sold it. This is my second Druid and the first I think I had a lemon shock because I sold it because it didn't climb well and felt heavy pedaling. I am glad I read lots of reviews to try it again.

The muted pedaling isn't that bad. Its not like a 4x4 horst link that sucks the energy away. It just doesn't feel like you are pedaling but you are moving and once you know this - just hammer away. I couldn't how many times I was PRing climbs with this bike and it didn't feel like it. Now that I know I pedal away and just watch my friends fall farther behind!

The only thing that I wish for ...it felt more bottomless with its suspension, which I think would corresponding make it feel a tad more playful/lively with its suspension. It pops well now because its very supportive, but would like it to have more plushness with the shock.

I am 5' 8.5" and shrinking, 47 years old, longer torso than legs. My BB to top of saddle is 69.3 centimeters with 170 cranks, 5.10 sam hills, and Tenet flat pedals! I know anyone who gets on my bike immediately raises the saddle. No one ever lowers it - haha!

It could be a tad lighter, but don't really notice this on the trail and you know it can handle abuse - its solid and robust.

high pivot witchcraft
    I really don't have much negatives, even if I sold it. This is my second Druid and the first I think I had a lemon shock because I sold it because it didn't climb well and felt heavy pedaling. I am glad I read lots of reviews to try it again.

The muted pedaling isn't that bad. Its not like a 4x4 horst link that sucks the energy away. It just doesn't feel like you are pedaling but you are moving and once you know this - just hammer away. I couldn't how many times I was PRing climbs with this bike and it didn't feel like it. Now that I know I pedal away and just watch my friends fall farther behind!

The only thing that I wish for ...it felt more bottomless with its suspension, which I think would corresponding make it feel a tad more playful/lively with its suspension. It pops well now because its very supportive, but would like it to have more plushness with the shock.

I am 5' 8.5" and shrinking, 47 years old, longer torso than legs. My BB to top of saddle is 69.3 centimeters with 170 cranks, 5.10 sam hills, and Tenet flat pedals! I know anyone who gets on my bike immediately raises the saddle. No one ever lowers it - haha!

It could be a tad lighter, but don't really notice this on the trail and you know it can handle abuse - its solid and robust.
    Thanks. Agreed again on your comments, except perhaps on the Horst link characteristics. My first Owen Pemberton creation was a 2015 Range - a Horst link. That thing had more AS than any bike I have been on in my life. But no idler pulley so I felt it through the pedals.

I don't want for travel on the Druid, but then again, I am on my Honzo way more, so going to the Druid always feels truly bottomless.

I don't feel the weight at all. Mine is loaded down too - tube, levers and CO2 in the reverse SWAT box, and bear spray, pump and mini tool on the cage bosses.

Do you plan to replace the Druid with something else? If so, what are you considering?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Druid vs ripmo

While I'm leaning towards the druid, I'm still not 100% convinced. I'm wondering if any of you have spent time on the ripmo as well and could give me a comparison? The ripmo feels like it was designed for me fit wise, but I'm concerned it's going to be too linear (I'm 6' and 250# in gear). I'm also wondering if the druid will be a titch too short. I would be looking at a large in either. I'm currently riding a chromag stylus which is way too long. I don't absolutely hate the longer reach (483 w 35mm stem) but I fint too much weight on my hands and the ett is waaay too long (648mm). Conversely, I've been on a large sc ht3 and while the reach was ok, the ett was terrible. Friends keep pushing me to buy based on reach alone, but I figure I spend most of my rides seated climbing so I may as well be comfortable. Anyhow, let me know what you think,

Thanks!

mtbr member
    For me, I'm coming off a Large Offering - 5'11", 220lbs, 32" inseam.

- 40mm stem @ -5°
    - 800mm bars @ 15mm rise / 5° sweep
    - 10mm / 12.5mm / 15mm spacer height under stem (still experimenting - have come down from 30mm)

Like Dude!, 40mm stem works best for me - still dialing in stack height... I don't feel like I have to ride off the back of the Druid - in fact, I feel like I get punished when I ride this bike with a rearward bias and it rewards aggressive positioning.

Where my hands had too much weight on the techgnar with the Offering, the Druid feels like I'm properly positioned with good weight distribution on both front and rear. Just another data point to contrast a little with Dude!'s experience.

The Druid is my short-ish travel bike that is versatile enough to capably ride more than you'd think a 130mm bike can handle... if Forbidden had a 150-160mm travel 29r, I'd already have one.
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:48 AM.

Off the back...
    While I'm leaning towards the druid, I'm still not 100% convinced. I'm wondering if any of you have spent time on the ripmo as well and could give me a comparison? The ripmo feels like it was designed for me fit wise, but I'm concerned it's going to be too linear (I'm 6' and 250# in gear). I'm also wondering if the druid will be a titch too short. I would be looking at a large in either. I'm currently riding a chromag stylus which is way too long. I don't absolutely hate the longer reach (483 w 35mm stem) but I fint too much weight on my hands and the ett is waaay too long (648mm). Conversely, I've been on a large sc ht3 and while the reach was ok, the ett was terrible. Friends keep pushing me to buy based on reach alone, but I figure I spend most of my rides seated climbing so I may as well be comfortable. Anyhow, let me know what you think,

Thanks!
    Ahoy! I rode the entire summer on an Ibis Ripmo before I got the Druid, and have ripped the same trails on both bikes within a month of each other, so I'm feeling somewhat qualified to comment on both. I do tend to go by ETT instead of Reach as my primary guide for fitting. The steepish seat angle works well for me, as I have longer arms/legs and a shorter torso. I too am a seated climber. I rode a large in both bikes, and I found they both fit quite well. Regardless, here are some general impressions on Ripmo vs Druid:
    Climbing - The Druid climbs better on actual singletrack with roots and rocks and stuff. Better traction on anything loose as well, to the point that I can run a less aggressive / faster tire on the Druid. The Ripmo does better on fire road.
    Descents - I ride the front of the bike on descents, as that's where traction for braking and steering comes from. Fork, head angle and tires are almost more important than the rear end some of the time, but drops, cases and g-outs were all easier to handle on the Druid than the Ripmo. In terms of linear vs progressive, the Druid feels more progressive, as there is a fair bit of resistance to bottoming out. The suspension graphs may tell a different story. It's smooth resistance without a harsh bottom. I did manage to bottom the Ibis a few times, and it made an unhappy noise, as did my ankles. At 250#, you may want to go to an air shock with a 300psi max, or do a coil with lots of compression and bottom-out adjustments.
    Handling - In general, both bikes handle changes in direction well. I thought the Ripmo was pretty good [better than my Trek Slash] at quick adjustments to line choice and such, but the Druid is just a bit better. I don't know why.
    Jumps - Druid. Easier to pop, feels more natural in the air than the Ripmo.
    Monster Trucking - Trek Slash, by a wide margin. I know we're comparing Ripmo to Druid, but if you are into plummeting towards the center of the Earth, the Slash is hard to beat. The Druid does pretty well, but it is a 130mm travel bike, so a little finesse goes a long way. The Ripmo is no slouch in this department but it's definitely no Slash.
    Saving Your Ass - The Druid takes cases that would normally require judicious body english, and transforms them into elegant motions. I got bucked a few times on the Ripmo. User error for sure, but this user can make more errors on the Druid and get away with it.

If it wasn't obvious, I'm a fan of the Druid. If it didn't exist, I'd be riding my Slash and likely looking into something else for next season, like a Rocky Mountain Instinct over-forked to 160. I would not have continued with the Ripmo.

Off the back...
    Everytime, I find myself riding it off the back no matter what I do - longer stem, rolled forward bars, etc. It just works out riding it off the back.
    Have you tried slamming the stem? I started off with 30mm of spacers under the stem, like every other bike I have had in the last 10 years. My friend was watching me ride, and he said "Dude, you look really high on the bike. Can you drop the stem?" We stopped mid-trail, took it down 10mm and everything changed. It was so much easier. I took it down another 5mm after that, and I think it's good. I kept trying to figure out why I felt like the bike was getting ahead of me and that I wasn't feeling good, and I just needed to bias things a bit lower. Witchcraft.

mtbr member
    Have you tried slamming the stem? I started off with 30mm of spacers under the stem, like every other bike I have had in the last 10 years. My friend was watching me ride, and he said "Dude, you look really high on the bike. Can you drop the stem?" We stopped mid-trail, took it down 10mm and everything changed. It was so much easier. I took it down another 5mm after that, and I think it's good. I kept trying to figure out why I felt like the bike was getting ahead of me and that I wasn't feeling good, and I just needed to bias things a bit lower. Witchcraft.
    Thanks - I will give it a go, as I do like the bike. BTW - what's your bar width and stem length? Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thanks man, this helps. Sounds like we ride similarly, and the druid is the better option.

Off the back...
    Thanks - I will give it a go, as I do like the bike. BTW - what's your bar width and stem length? Cheers!
    800 bar with 20 rise, 50 stem with maybe 5 degree angle. I also have that same combo on a DH bike, hardtail and fatbike. I buy parts in bulk.

high pivot witchcraft
    800 bar with 20 rise, 50 stem with maybe 5 degree angle. I also have that same combo on a DH bike, hardtail and fatbike. I buy parts in bulk.
    Identical to mine.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    The information you all druid-owners provide to us are really helpful!!
    @Pinkrobe, what is your height?

My frame will arrive in less than a month and some parts have already arrived! So excited to build and ride this thing but probably the weather here in Norway will be sh**ty until February-March!

Off the back...
    The information you all druid-owners provide to us are really helpful!!
    @Pinkrobe, what is your height?

My frame will arrive in less than a month and some parts have already arrived! So excited to build and ride this thing but probably the weather here in Norway will be sh**ty until February-March!
    I am 180cm and 77kg ready to ride.

Off the back...
    Identical to mine.
    Great minds think alike!

high pivot witchcraft
    Great minds think alike!
    Thanks, but hardly. More like I got lucky making a decision or two with my simple little linear thinking mind. That said, I suspect our cockpit dimensions may be among the most common, so not all that shocking. Lol.

I am surprised we have not crossed paths on the trail. I have not seen a single Druid in my travels. I have had lots of guys approach me on the trail about mine though.

Anyway, great to cross cyber paths at least.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Off the back...
    Thanks, but hardly. More like I got lucky making a decision or two with my simple little linear thinking mind. That said, I suspect our cockpit dimensions may be among the most common, so not all that shocking. Lol.

I am surprised we have not crossed paths on the trail. I have not seen a single Druid in my travels. I have had lots of guys approach me on the trail about mine though.

Anyway, great to cross cyber paths at least.
    The only other Druid I've seen on the trails was Dave Harder's on my first or second ride in Kimberley. Other than that, I got 1 hot lap on Sulphur/Pneuma/7-27 just before the October snow hit, which would explain why we haven't crossed paths. I'm sure we'll bump into each other on the Husky road come spring or the next major Chinook.

high pivot witchcraft
    The only other Druid I've seen on the trails was Dave Harder's on my first or second ride in Kimberley. Other than that, I got 1 hot lap on Sulphur/Pneuma/7-27 just before the October snow hit, which would explain why we haven't crossed paths. I'm sure we'll bump into each other on the Husky road come spring or the next major Chinook.
    I was going to PM you but maybe others may be interested in your thoughts as well.

What fork are you running? I'm running a 150 Factory 36 with a FIT4 damper, that was originally a 140. The thing absolutely shreds but I am wondering whether I could up its game even further with a GRIP2 damper. It won't be inexpensive and I really question whether it would be worth it.

Also, any thought of throwing down on an 11-6 when it comes out?

To be perfectly honest, I don't know how much room there is for my bike, as it stands, to improve. It may just be a matter of throwing money at it for no good reason.

I should probably just leave it and enjoy it, as I have been. Dammit though, there is a little voice inside urging me to go the distance. My GF is no help - she is pushing hard for me to make this my ultimate bike, no holds barred.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Eleven six for Druid has been already released  Also they have a 35% discount to their products since yesterday ( not sure if the Druid coil is included though)

Off the back...
    I was going to PM you but maybe others may be interested in your thoughts as well.

What fork are you running? I'm running a 150 Factory 36 with a FIT4 damper, that was originally a 140. The thing absolutely shreds but I am wondering whether I could up its game even further with a GRIP2 damper. It won't be inexpensive and I really question whether it would be worth it.

Also, any thought of throwing down on an 11-6 when it comes out?

To be perfectly honest, I don't know how much room there is for my bike, as it stands, to improve. It may just be a matter of throwing money at it for no good reason.

I should probably just leave it and enjoy it, as I have been. Dammit though, there is a little voice inside urging me to go the distance. My GF is no help - she is pushing hard for me to make this my ultimate bike, no holds barred.
    I have a [2020?] Rock Shox Pike Ultimate 140. I had enough bad experiences with RS products in the past that I hadn't been on one in quite a few years. Even the 2019 Pike on my hardtail was uninspiring, so I wasn't originally looking at the Pike/Lyrik when I was selecting parts for the Druid. However, the new damper in the Ultimate was getting rave reviews, as RS had designed the fork for a bit more forgiveness on rougher rides, something that my creaking joints might appreciate. At my weight of 170#, the Pike is pretty much spot on. The Pike has softer damping and a bigger negative air chamber than the 36, in both FIT4 and GRIP2 versions. For me, this means more control and less fatigue. The only downside of the fork so far is the travel: at 140mm I'm snagging my pedals on things I normally wouldn't hit. I adjusted my timing a bit to compensate, but I have a 150mm air shaft that I might drop in instead to raise the BB just a hair. Also, because MOAR TRAVELS.

FIT4 vs. GRIP2 comes down to how much knob twiddling you like to do. They're both top-quality dampers, but the GRIP2 definitely has more adjustability. I think you mentioned that you're over 200#, so you're well within the range of the HSC/LSC of the GRIP2 - it will be easy to tune the fork to be as plush or as firm as you want, although there's no firm/trail/open switch if you like to change things on the fly. Honestly, I wouldn't spend my money on the GRIP2 if I already had the FIT4, but if you want to make it the ultimate bike, why not go for it? I'd add the Luftkappe while you're at it. SO SUPPLE.

The 11-6 looks very cool. If you're finding that the stock shock is too progressive, going to a coil makes perfect sense. I'd also look at the DHX2 and the DVO Jade [not sure if DVO offers something the right size].

high pivot witchcraft
    I have a [2020?] Rock Shox Pike Ultimate 140. I had enough bad experiences with RS products in the past that I hadn't been on one in quite a few years. Even the 2019 Pike on my hardtail was uninspiring, so I wasn't originally looking at the Pike/Lyrik when I was selecting parts for the Druid. However, the new damper in the Ultimate was getting rave reviews, as RS had designed the fork for a bit more forgiveness on rougher rides, something that my creaking joints might appreciate. At my weight of 170#, the Pike is pretty much spot on. The Pike has softer damping and a bigger negative air chamber than the 36, in both FIT4 and GRIP2 versions. For me, this means more control and less fatigue. The only downside of the fork so far is the travel: at 140mm I'm snagging my pedals on things I normally wouldn't hit. I adjusted my timing a bit to compensate, but I have a 150mm air shaft that I might drop in instead to raise the BB just a hair. Also, because MOAR TRAVELS.

FIT4 vs. GRIP2 comes down to how much knob twiddling you like to do. They're both top-quality dampers, but the GRIP2 definitely has more adjustability. I think you mentioned that you're over 200#, so you're well within the range of the HSC/LSC of the GRIP2 - it will be easy to tune the fork to be as plush or as firm as you want, although there's no firm/trail/open switch if you like to change things on the fly. Honestly, I wouldn't spend my money on the GRIP2 if I already had the FIT4, but if you want to make it the ultimate bike, why not go for it? I'd add the Luftkappe while you're at it. SO SUPPLE.

The 11-6 looks very cool. If you're finding that the stock shock is too progressive, going to a coil makes perfect sense. I'd also look at the DHX2 and the DVO Jade [not sure if DVO offers something the right size].
    Thanks. 185 out of the shower (pardon the visual).

Sounds like I should just leave things. I can’t imagine it getting any better than it already is.

Thanks. Have a great weekend.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mailed Forbidden a few days ago to see if I can pre order a XL Druid, I know that a few stores have done that. I thought about going through one of the 4 store's but then I have to pay shipping and in Canada shipping is ****ing insane. Forbidden has free shipping in Canada.

I have yet to hear from them, I want to make sure I get one since they have not been really communicating if there is a limit on how many frames they have coming in the first week of December.

Anyone else try to contact them about that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hey everyone, thanks for listening to and answering my questions. I think I'm going to go for a Hightower. If there is anyone that knows the forbidden ppl, they might feedback that the reason, in its entirety, has been their slow responses to attempts to get in touch (mine and others) and their response to the bearing issue. As a new company whose first bike is 4k for the frame alone they have to be over the top with service, and they aren't. The chance of them going under is high to begin with, and a lot higher if they aren't able to stand behind their product. This is too similar to the early evil days.

Hope everyone enjoys their bikes, I'm a bit jealous, but can't afford to have a frame fail without support.

high pivot witchcraft
    I demoed a Hightower...
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I demoed a Hightower...
    So did I, along with the new TB4. I find Santa Cruz has always been conservative in their bike geo up til now. The new stuff is more modern and I do love the shock placement and how it makes the bike sit better in the travel.

I always like stuff a little different, but much like Mgrantorser, I do have reservations about getting something from a company so new. As well, the no response when you try to contact does not fill me with confidence. Especially if I am going to drop 4 grand with them. That being said, all the reviews of the frame are excellent. I have yet to read where anyone has actually broken one. Seeing how someone reacts to a warranty claim is also important in my books.

mtbr member
    ... but can't afford to have a frame fail without support.
    That's a completely reasonable perspective. I lost a small, but vital part of my Knolly's suspension recently. That sucked because I had torn apart my "summer" bike to send its suspension away for service and I had some riding coming up that was important to me I didn't want to miss.

This happened on a Friday and I checked the Knolly webstore, but the part was shown as sold out. I called and they tracked down the part I was missing as well as a spare to send me. If I had called from the trailhead an hour earlier instead of waiting until I got home they would have sent it out same day. Instead they offered to let me pick up the part directly from them if I was on the mainland [I live on an island off shore] and when that didn't work shipped it to me Monday. That got me riding with minimal delay.

I sometimes find myself on small/niche company websites [lots of cool European ones!] and get excited about sweet exotic bikes. Incidents like this remind me why dealing a company that has great customer service and can get things to me fast is important. I'd hate to miss important rides or be on a road trip and have to rent a bike because something failed and I couldn't get fast support.

Both my main bikes come from smaller companies [Knolly and Guerrilla Gravity], but the CS experience with both is pretty legendary.

I wouldn't write off Forbidden in that they are a really new company and probably understaffed, but I can understand wanting to wait until they get their operations dialed and you get the confidence they'll be around long enough to support your bike for the long-term before spending $$$$. I hope Forbidden ends up super successful. It would be cool to have a Vancouver Island based bike company.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye on them, and would consider them for my next bike. That said, the whole, theyre new so they're understaffed doesn't really fly. Weareone is also very new, and provides excellent cs. To me it speaks to it not being a priority, or the owner not living attached to the business (something that, in my mind, increase the chance of failure). Anyhow, hope everyone enjoys their bikes!

mtbr member
    That said, the whole, theyre new so they're understaffed doesn't really fly.
    I'm not excusing it at all. Every bike I own is from a company with amazing CS. That's not an accident.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm not excusing it at all. Every bike I own is from a company with amazing CS. That's not an accident.
    Yeah. Good for you.

Back to some positivity, for anyone who might be interested, I see that Push now has the 11-6 available for the Druid, and that it is “on sale” for $780 USD, down from the rather staggering MSRP of $1200. For the CDNs in the crowd, I have an email in to Suspensionwerx to see what this sale equates to in CDN dollars, if one orders from them.

I had kinda abandoned the whole bespoke suspension thing given that there really is nothing more I could ask for from my Druid, but this has me thinking about it once again. I think I am going to hold tight with my Fox set up, but if anyone is thinking about throwing down on an 11-6, now is the time.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah. Good for you.

Back to some positivity, for anyone who might be interested, I see that Push now has the 11-6 available for the Druid, and that it is “on sale” for $780 USD, down from the rather staggering MSRP of $1200. For the CDNs in the crowd, I have an email in to Suspensionwerx to see what this sale equates to in CDN dollars, if one orders from them.

I had kinda abandoned the whole bespoke suspension thing given that there really is nothing more I could ask for from my Druid, but this has me thinking about it once again. I think I am going to hold tight with my Fox set up, but if anyone is thinking about throwing down on an 11-6, now is the time.
    For what it’s worth I’ve had pretty good luck with the crew at Forbidden. They’ve gotten back to all my emails within a day and have helped me through a few minor issues.

Just pulled the trigger on an 11-6. That’s the best price I’ve ever seen for that particular shock brand new. Will report back once I get a few rides on it.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyjong View Post
    For what it’s worth I’ve had pretty good luck with the crew at Forbidden. They’ve gotten back to all my emails within a day and have helped me through a few minor issues.

Just pulled the trigger on an 11-6. That’s the best price I’ve ever seen for that particular shock brand new. Will report back once I get a few rides on it.
    Absolutely awesome. Congrats. I may do the same once I hear back from Suspensionwerx. If I do, I will also go for the ACS3 coil kit. Wtf. Likely not though. My Druid as it sits does not disappoint.

Re the Forbidden CS, I shouldn’t complain so much. The only real reason I notice it is because this is the first direct purchase bike I have bought. Normally my LBS takes care of me for every single issue. In the grand scheme of things, any shortcomings for me have really been of the first world problem variety.

In the end, the bike slays. I could not possibly ask for more from it.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hi Guys, Owen here from Forbidden. Apologies, I had tried to join in on this discussion last week but it took nearly a week for a moderator to approve our account...

Anyway, I would like to address some of the concerns regarding our customer service. Firstly yes we are a small team, very much understaffed, but that is not an excuse. We should be answering all of your questions and queries in a timely manner. We are looking into this and will endeavor to improve that side of our business moving forward!

Concerning our warranty and in-service support, it was a personal goal of mine when we started this brand to ensure that we do the right thing by our customers. We started out by developing the best product that we could, and we take pride in the fact that we chose our manufacturing partners with a priority on quality rather than price. This goes a long way to ensuring that we minimize the chances of warranty issues and in-service problems. That being said we know that things can, and will, happen that we haven't anticipated. To that end we pledge to hold good stock of all frame parts, so, if the worst does happen, we can get you guys back on the trails as fast as possible! After all that is the most important thing!

Re the Forbidden CS, I shouldn’t complain so much. The only real reason I notice it is because this is the first direct purchase bike I have bought. Normally my LBS takes care of me for every single issue. In the grand scheme of things, any shortcomings for me have really been of the first world problem variety.

In the end, the bike slays. I could not possibly ask for more from it.
    I'm embarrassed by the way your issue with the idler pulley bearing was handled and I apologize. We do view bearings as a wear item, they do not have an infinite life, however they should not fail so quickly. We have seen some pulley's where the bearing bore has been a little tight and this could cause a premature bearing failure. We have since modified the bore tolerance to eliminate this from happening. Moving forward we have also improved the tooth profile to work better with Shimano 12spd and have changed the surface coating. We will be landing stock of the improved pulleys in a few weeks and, as I would guess your pulley may have had a tight bore, I would be happy to send you one of the new ones FOC. Please drop us a DM or an email to [email protected] and we'll make sure it happens.

From now on I will try to drop in here from time to time and join in the discussions. I can try to address any queries you have, and in particular if any of you have any tech questions I'm always happy to get nerdy. It will be a welcome break from staring at my CAD screen!

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by ForbiddenBikeCo View Post
    Hi Guys, Owen here from Forbidden. Apologies, I had tried to join in on this discussion last week but it took nearly a week for a moderator to approve our account...

Anyway, I would like to address some of the concerns regarding our customer service. Firstly yes we are a small team, very much understaffed, but that is not an excuse. We should be answering all of your questions and queries in a timely manner. We are looking into this and will endeavor to improve that side of our business moving forward!

Concerning our warranty and in-service support, it was a personal goal of mine when we started this brand to ensure that we do the right thing by our customers. We started out by developing the best product that we could, and we take pride in the fact that we chose our manufacturing partners with a priority on quality rather than price. This goes a long way to ensuring that we minimize the chances of warranty issues and in-service problems. That being said we know that things can, and will, happen that we haven't anticipated. To that end we pledge to hold good stock of all frame parts, so, if the worst does happen, we can get you guys back on the trails as fast as possible! After all that is the most important thing!

I'm embarrassed by the way your issue with the idler pulley bearing was handled and I apologize. We do view bearings as a wear item, they do not have an infinite life, however they should not fail so quickly. We have seen some pulley's where the bearing bore has been a little tight and this could cause a premature bearing failure. We have since modified the bore tolerance to eliminate this from happening. Moving forward we have also improved the tooth profile to work better with Shimano 12spd and have changed the surface coating. We will be landing stock of the improved pulleys in a few weeks and, as I would guess your pulley may have had a tight bore, I would be happy to send you one of the new ones FOC. Please drop us a DM or an email to [email protected] and we'll make sure it happens.

From now on I will try to drop in here from time to time and join in the discussions. I can try to address any queries you have, and in particular if any of you have any tech questions I'm always happy to get nerdy. It will be a welcome break from staring at my CAD screen!
    Wow. This is really embarrassing and awkward. I am very sorry for having caused this. I hope you can find the good in my posts above because after spending an unspeakable amount over the years hunting for “the one”, I feel as though I have finally found it with the Druid.

As for the customer service thing, as a silver lining, my idler pulley issue prompted me to reach out to Cam and Zach at The Inside Line in Calgary. They very competently took care of things and we have begun what I hope will be a long, mutually beneficial relationship.

*super embarrassed at my end*

Sorry again Owen, but thank you very much for wading in.

Mike
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Wow. This is really embarrassing and awkward. I am very sorry for having caused this. I hope you can find the good in my posts above because after spending a total of 6 figures over the years hunting for “the one”, I finally found it with the Druid.

As for the customer service thing, as a silver lining, my idler pulley issue prompted me to reach out to Cam and Zach at The Inside Line in Calgary. They very competently took care of things and we have begun what I hope will be a long, mutually beneficial relationship.

*super embarrassed at my end*

Sorry again Owen, but thank you very much for wading in.

Mike
    No need to apologize Mike, it is us that need to own this!

Yes, we're stoked to have Cam at Inside Line on board with us. You're in good hands there!

I'm also extremely glad to hear you consider your Druid as your "the one". It means we must be getting some things right!

Thanks for the support!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Hey Owen, are all the new stuff (xl) going to have the improved pulley and improved tooth profile that works with shimano 12 speed drivetrains?

Thanks,

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It will be a welcome break from staring at my CAD screen!
    OH, and what might you be working on? A 160mm 29er perhaps I actually hope for 150 but I get that's too close to the Druid.

Please maintain a high standard of CS. In this day and age it shocks me how poor CS from brands (cough, Yeti and Pole) can be and how it ultimately affects my/our buying decision. The Druid seems Rad and I hope to see more reviews in the near future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hey Owen, are all the new stuff (xl) going to have the improved pulley and improved tooth profile that works with shimano 12 speed drivetrains?

Thanks,

Dave
    Hi Dave, Yes all frames from the next batch (mid December arrival), onward will have the improved pulley design. To be clear though, the current pulley does work with Shimano 12spd but now that we have had our hands on the groupsets for some time we have managed to optimize the tooth profile a little.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    OH, and what might you be working on? A 160mm 29er perhaps I actually hope for 150 but I get that's too close to the Druid.

Please maintain a high standard of CS. In this day and age it shocks me how poor CS from brands (cough, Yeti and Pole) can be and how it ultimately affects my/our buying decision. The Druid seems Rad and I hope to see more reviews in the near future.
    I knew someone would ask. If I told you I would have to kill you..

We hear you on the standard of CS these days, I hope we can manage a high standard as we grow. It will be a challenge, but we like those.

high pivot witchcraft

Forbidden Bike Co Druid

Not sure if this is an opportunity to ask questions, but if it is, was the Druid linkage designed around a certain size chainring (for example, a 30 tooth)? Just wondering whether there is an optimal size ring in terms of your intended anti-squat, etc.

Also, any comments, good or bad, about using an 11-6 on the Druid? For those of us who have been on the fence, now is the time to buy an 11-6 given that they are "on sale" for 35% off MSRP. Any comments, good, bad or indifferent, would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 1 Week Ago at 03:49 AM.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not sure if this is an opportunity to ask questions, but if it is, was the Druid linkage designed around a certain size chainring (for example, a 30 tooth)? Just wondering whether there is an optimal size ring in terms of your intended anti-squat, etc.

Also, any comments, good or bad, about using an 11-6 on the Druid? For those of us who have been on the fence, now is the time to buy an 11-6 given that they are "on sale" for 35% off MSRP. Any comments, good, bad or indifferent, would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    I have an 11-6 on my Druid. Very worthwhile upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by csm024 View Post
    Nice. Where do you feel the benefits are? I assume it maintains even better traction over the rough stuff at the expense of a small amount of pop?

high pivot witchcraft
    Thank you. What fork are you running?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Nice. Where do you feel the benefits are? I assume it maintains even better traction over the rough stuff at the expense of a small amount of pop?
    I was also about to pull trigger on an 11/6 so information is helpful to me as well. Any comments on the difficulty to adjust the rebound due to the placement?

mtbr member
    Nice! Could you qualify what you like better with the 11-6? Also, any downsides?

mtbr member
    We hear you on the standard of CS these days, I hope we can manage a high standard as we grow. It will be a challenge, but we like those.
    Very cool and encouraging that Forbidden is now engaging in this forum. I’ve been in customer support operations for over 20 years (granted in a healthcare tech, which has its extra challenges), but setting up and maintaining world class customer support is tough and it takes time. In my opinion, it’s a bigger challenge than developing and releasing first class products. In the end it will make or break any customer/brand loyalty. Wishing Forbidden all the best ...especially now that all components have arrived to build up my Druid frame .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice! Could you qualify what you like better with the 11-6? Also, any downsides?

Better tracking, and helps with the bigger hits a bit. My experience matches what is shown in the suspension charts posted by forbidden, in that the druid is pretty progressive and has a good pedal platform. The 11-6 adds a bit more compliance to the small chatter (the flip side of more anti-squat) giving a bit more of a stable ride at speed over rough terrain. Downside is it's heavier and is less adjustable than air, but with a few tweaks I've been happy with push's suggested settings.

@KineticFear, the rebound placement sucks. But you can still reach it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thank you. What fork are you running?
    RS Yari with avalanche damper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    @MarcusBrody, yeah, bit less "pop" than air shock, but that's inherent in any coil. As the druid is only 130mm of travel, however, you don't really have so much travel that the bike wallows in the mid-stroke with the coil (plus, as push sets up the 11-6 most of the way for you, it's set to be able to pedal and descend pretty well out of the box). I run the rebound a bit faster on coil than I do with air, so the end result of how poppy the bike is ends up about the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    @MarcusBrody, yeah, bit less "pop" than air shock, but that's inherent in any coil. As the druid is only 130mm of travel, however, you don't really have so much travel that the bike wallows in the mid-stroke with the coil (plus, as push sets up the 11-6 most of the way for you, it's set to be able to pedal and descend pretty well out of the box). I run the rebound a bit faster on coil than I do with air, so the end result of how poppy the bike is ends up about the same.
    Thanks for this! My one worry about the Druid is its potential poppiness vs. something like a Ripmo or Optic (esp. as at 190cm I'd be on the XL with its 450mm chainstays), so I guess if I go Forbidden's direction I should probably stick with air. That 11-6 sure looks sweet though.

Robertson
    Wanted to offer an update on my Druid. I now have 10 rides on the bike, my typical marker for when I assess how it ''really rides''. In short, it really rides awesome. The first thing I noticed with the bike is how well it fits me, I was comfortable on it within the first few minutes of the first ride. Frame appearance, fit and finish is stellar, far better than the Evils I owned previously and on par with my last bike, a Knolly.

Climbing: some pedal bob when you look at the shock that isn't noticeable to me when riding. I leave the shock full open except for very long uphill slogs. Technical climbing/traction is astounding, best I've ever used.

Trail/flat: the bike is longer and you do feel it on tighter/flatter stuff but this bike does perfectly fine on trail riding. No complaints.

Flow/jump descending: suprisingly poppy given the suspension design. Far better than my old guerilla gravity smash with 11.6 shock, slightly better than the Knolly Fugitive, not quite as good as my old Evils. Very composed jumping. Corners very naturally.

Tech/gnar descending: amazing. My third ride on the bike was on a DH trail at a local bike park that had hosted a race the weekend prior. The track was the roughest, most blown out I've ever seen it, but you'd have never known it from how the bike handled. Similar to my GG Smash on that trail when it was freshly maintained. Can't overstate how immediately noticeable and good this part is.

Overall very stoked on this bike, zero complaints thus far. I probably need a larger volume spacer in the fox shock, though that 11.6 deal has me eyeing one to try it out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hey all, not exactly the right place, but weareone has wheels 15% off this week if anyone is doing a build next year. Code is 15OFF2019

mtbr member
    I knew someone would ask. If I told you I would have to kill you..

Very cool and encouraging that Forbidden is now engaging in this forum. I’ve been in customer support operations for over 20 years (granted in a healthcare tech, which has its extra challenges), but setting up and maintaining world class customer support is tough and it takes time. In my opinion, it’s a bigger challenge than developing and releasing first class products. In the end it will make or break any customer/brand loyalty. Wishing Forbidden all the best ...especially now that all components have arrived to build up my Druid frame .

Forbidden has gotten my attention for sure. If a company can build a rig that'll impress a picky SOB like mtnbkrmike and keep him stoked, thats good enough for me.

I already jumped the kona ship for (the other) high pivot on my enduro/park rig but eyeing a druid for trailbike duty.

Keep up the good work boys!
    greener pastures

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Forbidden has gotten my attention for sure. If a company can build a rig that'll impress a picky SOB like mtnbkrmike and keep him stoked, thats good enough for me.

I already jumped the kona ship for (the other) high pivot on my enduro/park rig but eyeing a druid for trailbike duty.

Keep up the good work boys!
    Bahahaha! Hilarious.

I was struggling so badly with whether to buy an 11-6 for the “discounted” Black Friday “sale” price. Agonizing over it. I wanted to, but the ass end of that Druid is incredible, as is. Even for a picky SOB like me. It’s my fork that needs help. I think I will direct my focus there.

There really is nothing about the shock setup on that bike that I dislike. Well, except listening to it squeak, which is like Chinese water torture. On a positive note, the DPX2 squeaks intermittently and when it does, it’s a reminder of how active the linkage is.

It really is an interesting, beautiful, unique, fun bike.

It’s calling your name Marcus. Can you hear it?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Robertson
    I ended up getting an 11-6 on the sale price. I had one sitting around from one of my old bikes that I wanted to get converted. Conversion price per Push would be $550 due to needing the side-stack design and changing length of the shock. With the sale price at $750 and now being able to sell my old one as is, it works out to at worst $300 for a 11-6 shock. I'll take it!

mtbr member
    Anybody have FloatX2 settings to share?

high pivot witchcraft
    Anybody have FloatX2 settings to share?
    I still have the stock DPX2.

Can you and others advise why you went with a different shock? What did you find lacking with the DPX2?

I ride much more on my hardtail so when I ride my Druid, it feels magical.

Interested though to hear what would prompt a significant cash outlay for a solution to a problem that does not appear to exist (for me, at least).

Is it simply a matter of the never ending search for the absolute best?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What size spacer is in the DPX 2? I am assuming it is the 0.86 inch one.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    .2 spacer

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    .2 spacer
    Wow, I am surprised it is the smallest. I guess I am buying the spacer kit. Anyone else change the spacer in the dpx 2?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Wow, I am surprised it is the smallest. I guess I am buying the spacer kit. Anyone else change the spacer in the dpx 2?
    I actually found it worked the best with higher pressure and no spacers. Test it out for yourself.

Robertson

Can you and others advise why you went with a different shock? What did you find lacking with the DPX2?

Interested though to hear what would prompt a significant cash outlay for a solution to a problem that does not appear to exist (for me, at least).

I had an 11-6 on a previous bike that totally transformed the ride quality. I wanted to try a coil on this bike and couldn't pass up the sale price

mtbr member

The DPX2 just feels "wound-up" or "tight" - really makes the bike super poppy. I want a little more suppleness off the top.

Am still considering the 11-6 too...

high pivot witchcraft
    Ok guys. I couldn’t stand it. I had to get in on the 11-6 madness.

Woohoo!

Next...my fork, which is where the real work is going to have to be done...

I will put some inquiries and a request for suggestions into a separate post, which will take me a while to draft.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

high pivot witchcraft
    If anyone has any suggestions for my fork, I would appreciate it.

It’s a 2018 Factory 36 With a Fit4 damper that I am running at 150mm. It’s harsh to the point of hurting my hands after 2 or more hours of riding.

Options (so far):

1. Replace the Fit4 damper with a Grip2 and install a Vorsprung Luftkappe.
    2. Keep the Fit4 and get a Vorsprung Fractive tune.
    3. Keep the Fit4 and get a Push tune.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If anyone has any suggestions for my fork, I would appreciate it.

It’s a 2018 Factory 36 With a Fit4 damper that I am running at 150mm. It’s harsh to the point of hurting my hands after 2 or more hours of riding.

Options (so far):

1. Replace the Fit4 damper with a Grip2 and install a Vorsprung Luftkappe.
    2. Keep the Fit4 and get a Vorsprung Fractive tune.
    3. Keep the Fit4 and get a Push tune.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike
    Mike,

the Luftkappe is the best bang for the buck. Two of my buddies put them in (one Pike one 36) and they loved it.
    To get it Pushed is not cheap. For that you are almost better to find someone who had it done already and is flipping the fork.

dave

mtbr member
    May 2013
    #1 Vorsprung Smashpot #2 PUSH ACS3. I like the Smashpot as it uses fluid as opposed to an air cartridge to give you bottom-out control . I believe there are 16 clicks of adjustment. However, there is 100 ml of fluid on the former air side making it heavier than the ACS3 from PUSH which is also excellent. PUSH only requires 20 ml. They both work well with the 11.6 which kicks a........ J

mtbr member
    +1 Grip2 / Luftkappe

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Took the Druid to Moab this weekend. The weather was not ideal but managed to squeak out rides on Slickrock and Captain Ahab. It feels like this bike was purpose built for the terrain down there, especially on the ledges on Ahab. The rear feels so smooth climbing up and over stuff and it feels very planted and safe doing all kinds of stupid shit descending.

Mtnbikrmike, I had a 36 fit 4 damper and felt the same thing. Sent it to push to tune and added an ACS 3 kit. It is a little pricey but the fork rode great after.

Off the back...
    +1 Grip2 / Luftkappe

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Who here has tried the Druid with a 160 fork? Just read an article about one with a 160.

mtbr member
    Saw this come across the feed today:

https://spokemagazine.com/content/fo...n-druid-review
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 2 Days Ago at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRCD47 View Post
    Who here has tried the Druid with a 160 fork? Just read an article about one with a 160.

Mine is at 160. I have a long inseam so my saddle height is still relatively higher than my front end so the front end does not wander. J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12