Foot pain/numbness- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Foot pain/numbness

Sometimes my feet hurt an the balls of the foot....like a blister is forming but it never does.

Other times it starts to get numb and tingle - usually after a long period of saddle time without stops - 10 to 15 miles ish.

Any thoughts on why? I'm guessing it is where I have my cleat positioned...which is right under the balls of my feet. Should I move it forward or back?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Are you using a good quality, well fitting, stiff shoe? Pedals with small contact areas can cause hot spots too. If your foot is going numb you may have your shoe clinched too tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah...they are Shimano MTB shoes.

I don't think they are to tight...feels like a normal shoe to me. I'll try loosening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Start by sliding the mounting plate in the sole of the shoe all the way forward. Fasten your cleats to the lower holes towards the heal of the shoe. If you go numb or tingly quickly say within a half hour, loosen the screws on the cleats and move them back a couple of milimeters, moving the shoe forward. Going numb or tinkly after a couple of hours is not unusual.

Ideally you want the centre of the ball of your foot to be just forward of the centre line of the axle spindle on your pedal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had this happen when the sole of the shoe isn't stiff enough. Softer shoes allow the pedal to put pressure on a smaller area of your foot, causing a hot spot or numbness. You can try a pedal with a larger contact area or stiffer shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the advice all!! I'll try the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Mortons neuroma
    Or wide feet
    Or
    Feet swell after a while
    I solved mine by wear SPD sandals

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdl View Post
    I've had this happen when the sole of the shoe isn't stiff enough. Softer shoes allow the pedal to put pressure on a smaller area of your foot, causing a hot spot or numbness. You can try a pedal with a larger contact area or stiffer shoes.

FWIW I have had this happen with absolutely STIFF shoes... e.g., I once got a new pair of Sidi's, stiff as hell but terrible foot pain as there is little to no arch support with stock insoles. solution?... got legit insoles, feet great now after rides.

mtbr member
    You might also want to consider Specialized footbeds.
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    Sometimes my feet hurt an the balls of the foot....like a blister is forming but it never does.

Other times it starts to get numb and tingle - usually after a long period of saddle time without stops - 10 to 15 miles ish.

Any thoughts on why? I'm guessing it is where I have my cleat positioned...which is right under the balls of my feet. Should I move it forward or back?
    Your saddle can cause this numbness, the nerves in your groin get pinched

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anyone tried cleat wedges? I'm going through some pain on the outer edges of my feet after the Lumberjack training. Whatever that little ball right behind your pinky toe is...
    Comes on after about two hours, comes and goes after that depending on the type of terrain. Goes away right away when I stop riding. Easy thing to do would be to NOT go on long rides, but that isn't happening. The joy of the ride outranks the pain at this point. Wearing a nicer pair of Bontrager shoes, plenty stiff. Position is nearly the same as the Pearl Izumis is switched from. I may back them off a little more though.

www.derbyrims.com
    For forward vs. rear cleat position, I've experimented, and found moving the cleats forward of the ball of foot allows a faster spin cadence and more technical maneuverability but less climbing power and less power conservation for endurance. Moving rearward from the ball of foot is more energy efficient and less fatiguing, but there is a little loss in technical handling balance and traction feel.

To the OP, it does sound like possibly a tight shoe. But it could be many things. There are two small bones just behind the second toe that could be irritated by repeated motion. I recently bought some "Super-feet" insoles to upgrade from the thin flat original insole, after being fit for them by a Super-feet company rep, and my shoes fit so much better and distribute my weight more evenly across the foot with the shoe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds like they may swell during riding and become tighter. Might want to loosen them after riding a bit. Might help, might not. Hope you find a fix. Mine hurt while riding in hot weather after they swell some. Loosening the shoes didn't help me one bit though.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hmmm... I've been wearing heavier socks for more padding, but maybe my feet swell and the shoes get too tight. Lighter socks to begin with?

Members who have read this thread: 0