• 02-02-2004
    MTBDad
    Floor Pump Recommendations??
    My Scott floor pump has finally given up the ghost. Looking for suggestions on a replacement.
  • 02-02-2004
    blakcloud
    Silca floor pumps
    You can't go wrong with a Silca floor pump. I've had my Silca for 17 years and it works as well as the day I bought it.
  • 02-02-2004
    HellMuttCracker
    I have had a Serfas floor pump for about 3 years and no problems at all. If you want more info about pumps check out the product reviews
  • 02-02-2004
    Brown_Teeth
    Topeak joe blows suck, say no more or i'll =0= on your shoes
  • 02-02-2004
    Chris in MI
    Silca
    Silca pumps are A+ quality. Every shop has one and has probably had theirs for a number of years. Some of the new Silcas aren't quite as nice as the old ones, but they're still fully rebuildable and should be good for life. Just know the typical Silca issues: don't store the pump on its side, don't let it freeze (the leather cup inside will become brittle), and generally don't treat it like one of those $30 "shop-quality" pumps from the other manufacturers. It's a fine instrument - treat it with respect.

Enjoy the ride.

[ Chris in MI ]
  • 02-03-2004
    Gnarlygig
    I've got a Silca too, Geez,..I thought only roadies loved them.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MTBDad
    My Scott floor pump has finally given up the ghost. Looking for suggestions on a replacement.

Now that I'm mostly a mt biker though, I find it's still quite good. The only thing that could be upgraded on it, is the chuck. It's heavy duty brass, but has no fliplock to tighten it on the stem. I've taken to using little washers so the rubber seal will compress tighter when I tighten the chuck's collar, and forget about using them with Schraeder, they're supposedly reversable, but the pin that contacts the Schraeder's core pin doesn't reach properly.
  • 02-03-2004
    Ebo
    Nashbar Blue $14.95 @ Nashbar.com (NM)
  • 02-03-2004
    kevint
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebo
    Nashbar Blue $14.95 @ Nashbar.com (NM)

I have had this one for three years without problem. Definately not Silca quality, but worth the money.
  • 02-03-2004
    limba
    Lol.I have a Joe Blow and it's never given me any grief.Works great.Just do a search in the reviews section and you'll find something good.
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pump/product_22520.shtml
  • 02-03-2004
    Homebrew
    Try to find one with a decent range on the gauge and a decent sized gauge. Trying to get 35 psi with 1" gauge that goes to 300psi is ridiculous. I have a Silca Magnum which is a high volume pump with only 85psi on the gauge. Works great.
  • 02-03-2004
    george_da_trog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MTBDad

Don't get the Digital Topeak floor pump. It sucks. I've had 2, the first one failed and it was replaced. I've had the second one for a while now and the digital guage is screwy and the thing has a tendacy to leak air.

george