Flats or Clipless for 2018? - Page 2- Mtbr.com

Poll: Flats or Clipless for 2018

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Been clipless since 1994. Shimano PD-M747s.
    No intention of going to flats. Never had any issues on any terrain that would warrant any reason to switch. Technical, non technical, uphill, downhill, or otherwise.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    50/50
    For me it really depends on the conditions, it's been sloppy here in Western PA and West Virginia. Decided the other day in the parking lot before a 6 stage enduro race that i didn't feel dealing with clips, put my flats on before the race and was so glad that I did. Currently left the flats on my trail bike, and rode them on my DH bike at Snowshoe the other day too. Probably will keep riding the flats until i feel like taking the extra minute to take them off! haha

Dave's not here.
    Rode clipless up until 2 years ago on my mountain bikes then switched to flats. I still don't manual, jump or bunny hop, but my knees love me. Though, I still have clipless on my road bike. I voted fiddy/fiddy.
    Yo no hablo inglés

mtbr member
    I run eggbeaters or candys, and see no reason to go back to flats. Riding singlespeed on technical climbs, being able to pull on the upstroke can help unweight the back end and bring the wheel up over an obstacle...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Been on SPDs (mostly eggbeaters) since 2001 for XC/AM and flats for park and dh during my short dh days. Tried flats 2 winters ago and couldn't get my feet planted well, kept sliding all over the pedal so went with mallets, happy to say that they're the pedals I ride with on my fatty year long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Always been flats with skate shoes.

Tried clipless about 7 years ago. Picked it up pretty quickly but never felt comfortable with it and quickly went back.

since 4/10/2009
    Same pedals I used in 2017. Both clipless and platforms. It's not even close to 50/50, but I do choose based on my goals for the ride.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I'm 100% flats on all my bikes, I did try clipless for a couple of years as I kept being told how amazing clipless pedals and how much better I'll be but I never liked the feel of them and could never get avoid knee problems despite a lot of adjustments and changing clipless systems.

Definitely a good idea to try clipless but I wish I hadn't given into the pressure and just changed back to flats sooner as clipless didn't work for me.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    flats, and mine were only $20 and i love em. light, comfy, grippy, easy on legs and bike paint, durable. lots of color options too

DMR V6 Flat Pedal | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Flats for full susser and SPD for hardtail. Anyone know of a flat pedal shoe in size 50? Im forced to use regular tennis shoes which I hate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I like the Chester pedals too. I prefer plastic because it is more forgiving, don’t really dent or show scratches, and cheap to replace. Try pointing the trailing foot down a bit on the upstroke to help with climbing. I think I climb just as well on flats. I still use SPDs on my hardtail because I descend better with them, but on full suspension flat pedals are great. Switching to flats made riding new again, like when I first discovered mountain biking 30 years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I always ride clipless, usually XTR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I currently am using clips, for reasons I stated earlier, but I do like flats for certain things. I chose 50/50 even though it's more like 90/10 clips to flats.
    I like that they are easy and I can wear shoes that are comfortable off the bike. I don't have issues unclipping quickly, it becomes a habit pretty quick since you do it every time you come to a stop... BUT for doing things where bailing from mid air or a manual is possible flats are better. If I was doing riding that was mostly downhill I'd use flats. My riding isn't like that though. My area is constant small hills, rarely flat or extended downhills.

mtbr member
    I ve been riding clipless on road and MTB for 11 years now but changed to flats on MTB about 6 months ago. I really didn't have the technique to push on the bike and I struggled for some rides but now I have so much more fun on flats than I ever had on clipless. In my opinion everyone should try flats just to learn how to push and pull the bike properly

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by imitsus01 View Post
    In my opinion everyone should try flats just to learn how to push and pull the bike properly
    This crap again? Guess I've been doing it wrong for 30 years.

mtbr member
    Maybe yes maybe no. I know I did anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    This crap again? Guess I've been doing it wrong for 30 years.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Anybody else as confused as me on these poll #’s and %’s?

Flats or Clipless for 2018?-c59f10c5-3407-432d-972d-8560b1ac081f.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    I ve been riding clipless on road and MTB for 11 years now but changed to flats on MTB about 6 months ago. I really didn't have the technique to push on the bike and I struggled for some rides but now I have so much more fun on flats than I ever had on clipless. In my opinion everyone should try flats just to learn how to push and pull the bike properly

What's the combined skill bonus of riding flats and leaving your pass from Whistler on your bike?

Everybody should learn how to ride well, pedal choice has nothing to do with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    What's the combined skill bonus of riding flats and leaving your pass from Whistler on your bike?

Everybody should learn how to ride well, pedal choice has nothing to do with it.
    Sorry I don't get your comment, I m Greek . I just tell you that moving to flats helped My technique. I haven't tried since to ride clipless but I'm sure I ll be faster now. I also wanted to clarify that my target is going faster on enduro - dh trails, not xc racing

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Sorry I don't get your comment, I m Greek . I just tell you that moving to flats helped My technique. I haven't tried since to ride clipless but I'm sure I ll be faster now. I also wanted to clarify that my target is going faster on enduro - dh trails, not xc racing

There's absolutely no reason why you can't build your skills with clipless pedals. Some people just choose not to. Some people riding flats don't build their skills. What matters is the desire to learn, not the pedals you happen to be using.

Dropping your heels also allows you to get lower with less stress on your muscles because it allows you to keep your legs straighter. The more your legs are bent, the more effort it requires to maintain that position...all the way down until you're doing the "Asian squat." That's on top of transferring forward momentum into the bike in a safer and more confidence inspiring way.

You can bunny hop "the right way" with clipless pedals, you just don't have to in all situations. You can in all situations if you want to, nothing is stopping anyone from doing it. It's not as if you don't pull the bike up when using flats, it's just a little more complicated.

mtbr member
    Yes I totally agree. In my opinion flats help to see the problematic technique. At least it helped me. Anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    There's absolutely no reason why you can't build your skills with clipless pedals. Some people just choose not to. Some people riding flats don't build their skills. What matters is the desire to learn, not the pedals you happen to be using.

Dropping your heels also allows you to get lower with less stress on your muscles because it allows you to keep your legs straighter. The more your legs are bent, the more effort it requires to maintain that position...all the way down until you're doing the "Asian squat." That's on top of transferring forward momentum into the bike in a safer and more confidence inspiring way.

You can bunny hop "the right way" with clipless pedals, you just don't have to in all situations. You can in all situations if you want to, nothing is stopping anyone from doing it. It's not as if you don't pull the bike up when using flats, it's just a little more complicated.

mtbr member
    okay
    Last edited by tealy; 11-03-2018 at 07:05 AM.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    ...Clipless pedals are for speed weenies. Clipless pedals are cheating.
    Bahahahahaha!

tealy...

Raleigh
    Flats since the 70's, when I raced bmx.

I've been running Canfield (magnesiums) for the last few years, love em'.
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes, pedals are good to have on a bike.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Yes, pedals are good to have on a bike.
    They help in propelling it forward. They also double as support while standing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    They help in propelling it forward. They also double as support while standing.
    wait...what is this Black Magic that you speak of....
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

방랑외국인
    I've been riding clips for 15yrs, but I just switched to flats. I found the adaptation to clips was easy peasy? Initially you may have some slow speed tip-overs (whatever), and the big one is you cannot easily bail over the handlebars. I think it makes you commit more, and if anything it encouraged me to barrel into rocky tech stuff with more speed, as my feet were planted with some float to move about. There is a reason why all Enduro and DH racers use them. Besides the obvious like dirt jumping, the only times I saw a disadvantage is up on skinnies when you need to take a foot off to balance.

Now switching to flats, things like manuals & jumps aren't really different, but I've been struggling to hop like when clipped. I can easily hop with flats, but in those split second trail decisions or when super tired, I find the extra body english and whole body manual-to-rise technique needed with flats are more of an effort to keep your feet planted. Look at Seth's Bike Hacks at 0:30. His right foot comes off the pedal. I also found unless the seat is dropped, its more difficult to use the correct technique, whereas clipped, it doesn't matter as much. Any tips to overcome this?

All fat, all the time.
    I started riding on flats, let friends convince me clipless was the way to go so switched for quite a few years, been back on flats for past 4 years, much better.

Maxxis cult follower
    One thing I've recently noticed (never tried clipless pedals) is that with a dropper post, you can really change up where your feet are on flat pedals depending on the elevation change. As in uphill, you can put your dropper post up, feet back, front arches hitting the pedals. Level riding, you can put your dropper post down a bit, maybe 0.5-1.0 inches, then have the middle of your feet on the pedal for a more relaxed ride. You can't do that with clipless, you are stuck with one part of your foot on the pedal all the time. So a dropper post and flat pedals work together very well. Just saying.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Clipless on the mountain bike, switched to flats on the gravel and road bikes.

Wouldn't clipless be better on the road?
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Wouldn't clipless be better on the road?
    I would say yes, clipless is better on the road and gravel. But, don’t listen to me, I use clipless in my MTB too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12