mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Fix my 09 Stumpjumper or move on?

I need your advice, I have a 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR that I've never been able to keep the hydraulic brakes working on for the entirety that I've owned it (6 years). The bike is great otherwise and other than an interest in a 27.5 or 29, it still works well for me. I've had three AZ shops over the years work on the brakes, the last time I took it to a Scottsdale Specialized shop (went out of business shortly after) which replaced the entire brake system but by the next season this replacement stopped working similarly.

It's been sitting for awhile and I'm amazed to think this bike is 10 years old. In your opinion, is a 2009 bike worth fixing / holding onto for a few more years or should I start looking at a $400 - $500 replacement to get a slightly newer model bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Get a new bike! Best thing I ever did. I loved my old ‘05 stumpy. But i didn’t know what I was missing till I got on a new geo 29’er

If your budget can swing it, no question. I hated to spend that kind of money but in the end, totally worth it.

It is my health after all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    What brakes are you using?
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is a $500 bike really going to be an upgrade from what you have now?

Shimano makes very reliable budget brakes with good performance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretch15 View Post
    Get a new bike! Best thing I ever did. I loved my old ‘05 stumpy. But i didn’t know what I was missing till I got on a new geo 29’er

If your budget can swing it, no question. I hated to spend that kind of money but in the end, totally worth it.

It is my health after all
    Yea this is what I'm wondering!

Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    What brakes are you using?
    I believe they're a SRAM model but I just can't remember right now, I'll double check this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    Is a $500 bike really going to be an upgrade from what you have now?

Shimano makes very reliable budget brakes with good performance.
    That's exactly why I'm here also, in comparison to my 09 Stumpjumper, I don't know if I'll see any real step up to a different bike in this budget. This is why I've elected to fix the brakes repeatedly over the years, in lieu of replacing it. It's a full suspension that's handled everything that I've rode thus far. I bought it at an affordable price but I'm sure I've put the equivalent in through shop brake repairs/replacements. I'll continue to put money into the brakes if there's no real step up in another bike.

Bikesexual
    My vote is upgrade the brakes, save some cash, sell the current bike, and eventually get a new one.

SLX brakes are awesome, and affordable.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    My vote is upgrade the breaks, save some cash, sell the current bike, and eventually get a new one.

*brakes*
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    *brakes*
    Lol I had 1 right!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I have a 09 Stumpjumper as well - love that bike.

I basically bought a used 2016 Stumpjumper 29er. I get a newer bike without breaking the bank.
    So if you are willing to go used, you might be able to get a nice upgrade with your budget.

the discerning hooligan
    How's the drivetrain? When have the suspension components been serviced? Will you need tires this season? This year, besides the braix (special for you Battery)… besides brakes what is likely to need attention? If the long term repair costs look favorable probably keep the bike.

You say the bike has been sitting. If you're coming back after some time off, you should keep the bike you know for sure, and look at what's new after you put some miles behind you. The newer stuff is a big step forward from 10 years ago, but there's no rush.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobkins View Post
    Yea this is what I'm wondering!

I believe they're a SRAM model but I just can't remember right now, I'll double check this evening.

That's exactly why I'm here also, in comparison to my 09 Stumpjumper, I don't know if I'll see any real step up to a different bike in this budget. This is why I've elected to fix the brakes repeatedly over the years, in lieu of replacing it. It's a full suspension that's handled everything that I've rode thus far. I bought it at an affordable price but I'm sure I've put the equivalent in through shop brake repairs/replacements. I'll continue to put money into the brakes if there's no real step up in another bike.
    $500 won't buy you much even with a hard tail. You can find a good used HT for that price. I think it would be really hard to find a used FS bike worthy of replacing your Stumpjumper.

Sram brakes have had a reputation for being unreliable. I haven't tried any of their brakes recently but Shimano has proven to be extremely reliable and easy to bleed. $150 will get you a set of SLX brakes https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SL...000-Disc-Brake

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    My vote is upgrade the brakes, save some cash, sell the current bike, and eventually get a new one.

This. Seriously.
    Specially if you're generally happy with the bike.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    This. Seriously.
    Specially if you're generally happy with the bike.
    ...and are only willing to spend $500 on a new bike.

I appreciate that it's not a listed option, but personally, I would ditch the Stumpy, spend multiples of $500 on a new bike or bikes, and immerse myself in the sport. But that's just me.*

Of the two options, keep the Stumpy because $500 won't get you SFA.

*On a pure cost-based analysis, I save hundreds a month in parking alone by commuting. And who knows how much in counselling and health care expenses...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If it was me I would get a new bike. A 10 year old bike is a old bike.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    If it was me I would get a new bike. A 10 year old bike is a old bike.
    He would have to go for a cheap HT, like the Pitch for $500.00.

My buddy rides one, he rarely rides but he took it to Sedona, and although it wasn't ridden hard it held up fine.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...h/c/trailpitch

I don't think he can find a decent FS for $500 in the used market.

I would take the $500, sell the current bike, and go with a Vitus from CRC.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    after a year most disc brakes are going to need some sort of service..

while considering a new bike / saving up get a worthy new bike.. a $500 bike isn't going to be comparable to a FSR even a decade old one.. I would watch me some instructional videos and buy a bleed kit.. /a few parts and flush /bleed the current brakes / replace rotors and or pads if applicable.

my bike has been a 2012 Giant Anthem that I got from a buddy.. I had some brake challenges when I got it, I read / watched some tutorials and swapped out the brakes for XT and then also shortened the too long rear cable / bled them... it isn't super hard and it will be a good skill to have when you have a new more expensive bike anyways..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    ...and are only willing to spend $500 on a new bike.
    Which is what he said.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I bought the FSR for $450 back in the day after a local upgraded, I was hopeful a newer but still several year old bike for similar price could be had but it sounds as if that's not the case. I appreciate the input here, I'll scour the classifieds to see what a newer full susp bike will run me and adjust my budget to fit.

In the meantime I can fix/upgrade my SRAM DB5 brakes just to get riding again. I'll look into the XT / SLX brake sets you've talked about. As some of you mentioned I'm sure there's other maintenance I'll have to consider at this point as well.

mtbr member
    New bikes are awesome but expensive...$500 won't get you much. You like the existing bike and it sounds like it's in decent shape aside from brake issue. So get the brakes addressed and ride it!

If the entire brake system was recently replaced and they don't have many miles on them, I would make the effort to get them bled properly and see how it goes. If you can't do it yourself, it should not cost much for a bleed so it's worth a try.

If they say components need to be replaced (again), ditch the SRAM's and go for the Shimano's. Don't go for the latest high priced model, go for the 'old reliable' SLX model mentioned above by fajita dave.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Which is what he said.
    I appreciate that. He also said that he was generally happy with his SJ. You repeated that, but not his $500 limit, which I was emphasizing.

Wasn't trying to be critical. Sorry if it came across that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I appreciate that. He also said that he was generally happy with his SJ. You repeated that, but not his $500 limit, which I was emphasizing.

Wasn't trying to be critical. Sorry if it came across that way.
    Nah, all good. We all love spending other people's money.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    You can get into some Shimano M396's for roughly $65 total. https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-M396-Disc-Brake

If you can sell your old ones on Craigslist for like 30 bucks, you would be halfway there.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    it always amazes me how many folk are reliant on a bike shop for simple maintenance tasks such as brake bleeding , always better in the long run to learn these skills for yourself.

anyhow , i wouldnt ditch an otherwise solid bike because a single element is performing less than optimal , just replace the sram for a set of shimano and get alot more mileage out of the SJ for a small cash outlay , as others have said 500 bucks isnt going to go far in buying another bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    You can get into some Shimano M396's for roughly $65 total. https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-M396-Disc-Brake

If you can sell your old ones on Craigslist for like 30 bucks, you would be halfway there.
    Thanks! If a new brake system is <$100 then I'll definitely go this route and throw a Shimano set on there. I'll have to find out what fits my FSR.

Quote Originally Posted by biff55 View Post
    it always amazes me how many folk are reliant on a bike shop for simple maintenance tasks such as brake bleeding , always better in the long run to learn these skills for yourself.

anyhow , i wouldnt ditch an otherwise solid bike because a single element is performing less than optimal , just replace the sram for a set of shimano and get alot more mileage out of the SJ for a small cash outlay , as others have said 500 bucks isnt going to go far in buying another bike
    It's less a reliance but where to spend my available time. In hindsight had I known I'd run into the same repeated brake issues I would've done it myself and installed a better system years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any brakes should 'fit' - things have been standardized for ages as far as brakes go.

IMO, it's worth it to pay just a little more and go with SLX at least. Better adjustment and feel for just a little extra cash.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Any brakes should 'fit' - things have been standardized for ages as far as brakes go.

IMO, it's worth it to pay just a little more and go with SLX at least. Better adjustment and feel for just a little extra cash.
    Very good, I'll start there and see if I can't grab a SLX set. Thanks for the help!

turtles make me hot
    I have an 09 Stumpjumper FSR as well. Haven't ridden it in quite some time but my son spotted it in the basement and wants to ride it. There isn't a stock part on that bike and one of the first things to go were those crappy Avid Juicy 7's.
    SLX is the way to go. Enjoy the bike after it's fixed.

I'm putting mine back together for my son with a 1x11 drivetrain and a new X Fusion fork. The X Fusion is a bit of a freak in that it has a straight 1 1/8" steerer and a 15mm thru axle.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobkins View Post
    Very good, I'll start there and see if I can't grab a SLX set. Thanks for the help!
    I'd definitely pick the SLX brakes over M396. The M396s are just as reliable and easy to maintain but are way behind on power and feel compared to SLX.

If you end up buying a new bike the SLX set would be great to move over to your next bike. Assuming it won't aleady have something as good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Those 2009 Stumpjumpers are primitive in comparison to the newer bikes.

You will not get anything with full suspension for anywhere close to $500 so I would avoid test-riding a new bike (because you will never want to ride the old one again) and just buy some decent, inexpensive brakes.

I had a 2009 FSR.

mtbr member
    The best thing is to get new brakes. However getting a new bike for $500 is pointless. It will be crap if it brand new at that pricepoint and even used will either be crap or worn the heck out. Save your money. If you want nice inexpensive upgrade bike that is FS you need to have at least $1500 in hand, but probably up to $2500. New you will need $2500-$3500. Any less money is really just throwing it away.

As for you brake problem. It could just be they need bleed or you need to replace pads? It is really hard to say if you just say "brakes don't work". Typically hydraulic brakes have a few different issues.
    1) pads worn and need replacement - Feels like no braking power and long lever travel
    2) fluid replaced/bleed. - Long lever travel, but pads are thick
    3) Replace rotors - again long lever travel and pads are ok
    4) Sram brakes locking up - This common on Sram brakes for many years and styles. They can simply lock and stop working. I believe alot has to do with temperature and tolerances in the levers that cause them to lock when exposed to heat like Az summer garages. The best solution for this to replace with Shimano.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    I'd definitely pick the SLX brakes over M396. The M396s are just as reliable and easy to maintain but are way behind on power and feel compared to SLX.

If you end up buying a new bike the SLX set would be great to move over to your next bike. Assuming it won't aleady have something as good.
    The M396 brakes work fine, but use a different pad and rotor as compared to the SLX/XT/XTR. Not a big deal if you have just one bike, but for me I have multiple bikes and I like having the same pads/rotors for all bikes. Makes it so much easier to have spare laying around. I own a set of M396 brakes as well as SLX/XT/XTR brakes. My 3 current main rides have XT (2 bikes) and XTR Race. I have M396 on a older bike and SLX M615 in box as spare. I have some old Avid/Sram that I would not give to any who I wanted to still be friends with.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Fix the brakes.
    The 09 Stumpy is a decent bike and the geo isn't THAT far off from more modern rigs. It's working well for you now. Your brakes probably just need to be bled (something that needs to be done regularly anyways).
    Inspect brakes. If no signs of leaks/damaged components then...
    Replace pads. then..
    Freshen up rotors by lightly sanding them. then...
    Bleed brakes.
    Bed brakes in.

$30-50 and you should be good to go. You will have learned how to inspect and maintain your brakes.

Buying new brakes is only going to be a temp fix because your brakes will have "stopped working similarly" and then you'll post on the forum asking a similar question and people will be telling you to buy a $2000 bike or new brakes (again), when you should be learning how to perform basic bike maintenance instead.

That being said new bikes are always awesome and cool, but you're better off learning how to take care of your current ride. When you upgrade to a nicer newer bike you can maintain it and keep it running a its best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eplanajr View Post
    Buying new brakes is only going to be a temp fix because your brakes will have "stopped working similarly"
    There is a huge difference in reliability between the brakes he currently has and the ones being suggested. It'll end up costing more in both money and time (not to mention substandard performance) to keep trying to polish the brake pig. rather than just getting a decent product for a little larger initial outlay.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Bikesexual
    There is a huge difference in reliability between the brakes he currently has and the ones being suggested. It'll end up costing more in both money and time (not to mention substandard performance) to keep trying to polish the brake pig. rather than just getting a decent product for a little larger initial outlay.
    and, he will still be doing the job himself. Win Win!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    DB5 aren't that bad. He hasn't mentioned what type of riding he's doing.

I agree SLX, XT etc. are very nice setups. I'm just advocating that he look into what he means by his brakes not working. I would suggest he investigate it a little.

Even Shimano's are going to need to be bled. No brake system is immune to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eplanajr View Post
    Even Shimano's are going to need to be bled. No brake system is immune to it.
    True, but it's fewer and farther between with Shimanos, and yields better results IME.

For ~120 bucks are so, SLX brakes are a no-brainer.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

turtles make me hot
    I bleed my Shimanos when I change the length of the hose when I build the bike. After that, I usually don't have to do it again and just service the pads.
    When I had Avids, I was bleeding those things every other month.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:46 PM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    What an SLX lovefest here. Yeah, they really are that good.

I've had one on the back of my bike (XT on front) for a couple of years and it's been great.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986