Fitting a 26" bike into normal checked in luggage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Fitting a 26" bike into normal checked in luggage

I have an Evoc bag, but it's only worth taking on Alaska because of oversize fees. When I fly Southwest, I have a big bag that just barely fits a disassembled BMX bike.

Or rather, I did. Both wheels have fallen off, there are no straps left, and it's got a hole in the corner that bike tools can escape out of.

Anyone had luck fitting a disassembled 26" hard tail or DJ in normal luggage? I assume you'd need one bag for wheels and another for the frame and fork. And it should be stealth, because paying $75 each way sucks.

No known cure
    You need a travel bike that breaks down or something like a 26" Ibis Tranny. I just bite the bullet and pay the fee for bikes and surfboards.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    because paying $75 each way sucks.
    lol, have you looked at other options lately?

Last time I flew with bikes on Southwest, I was thrilled to pay that much, because everything else was twice as much, or more. The shipping companies like bikeflights and such ended up being a wash. My wife's small 26er FS would have cost a bit less through such a service. But my FS fatbike would have cost a bit more. It was less hassle overall to just take them with us (packed the boxes with all the tools and everything else we'd need for the same $75 fee). Until the rental car company tried to screw us over in Vegas.

At any rate, some people have figured out how to do it. But your options will depend on the bike you've got and how big it is. I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all approach here. You'll have to measure the hell outta what you've got and measure the hell out of potential bags. Additionally, pad the hell out of everything when you pack it up. Nice thing about bike specific luggage is that they're designed to protect bikes. Half-assing it is likely to get you damaged stuff. IME, baggage handlers don't care.

mtbr member
    bikeflights.com was an option but I've heard that they changed something and their rates went up a ton.

No known cure
    I pay a hundred bucks each way when I travel to Iceland. I consider that a bargain. Bikeflights wants close to a grand one way. I also stuff my Trico box with gear and most of my clothes and board the plane with a small backpack.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    bikeflights.com was an option but I've heard that they changed something and their rates went up a ton.
    bummer if so. it was a couple years ago last time I flew with bikes. would have used them if they'd cost less for the fatbike.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Sounds like a puzzle. I bet it could be done. Maybe take the tires off and use them as padding.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I looked into this, but unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to try it. Ruster Armored hen house bag.

https://rustersports.com/product/armored-hen-house

Ebike Evangelist!!
    Sep 2005
    S&S couplings ftw. Unfortunately $$$