Mr. Buck E. Fikes

Fitness: Indoor Rowing mixed with riding.

Anybody else into the rowing scene to supplement their riding on off days or as part of regular routine?

I bought a combination recumbent bike trainer / rower a couple years ago to try instead of a fluid trainer that I was occasionally getting on for those rainy day sessions. Please, KILL ME! I'd rather eat worms than spend more than 15 minutes pedalling a trainer indoors. It just drives me batshit crazy. I thought about making the investment in Zwift to "possibly" capture more interest but then decided I wasn't throwing any more money at it.

I bought the recumbent for a bit of a change up due to my back issues and only used the rower aspect of it a few times simply because I didn't recognize the true benefits that good rowing offers. I just recently rediscovered it and have stuck to it daily and am amazed at the result and find it real easy to stay engaged as opposed to the mindless pedalling. My MTB'ing fitness has become much better and rather quickly!

My combi-machine has some shortcomings in the data it provides as well as few other relatively minor things that I could see as beneficial so I went on a quest to research and seek out a new machine. I almost hit the "Buy It" on Amazon when I decided what I absolutely had to have but then tried the used market first to see if I could save a little coin. It took a few weeks of searching and posting "wanted" ads on craigslist but it finally paid off when I happened across an essentially brand new machine (4hrs of use!). I had to drive an hour and half south to Santa Barbara but it saved me $400 so it was well worth it.

Anyhoodily, I just scored a Concept 2 Model D w/PM5 computer. This thing is a phenomenal machine and I have to be careful, I haven't been on my bike since I bought it the other day!

So, to the rowers...are you doing anything special or unique in your training? I've been sponging information like crazy on the 'net and practicing for perfect form, which is critical. All I can say is DAMN! This is a great all body workout with fantastic, possibly better than biking cardio at the same time!

Fitness: Indoor Rowing mixed with riding.-20181011_175655%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Fitness: Indoor Rowing mixed with riding.

Rowing is a great workout. I used to do it a couple of years ago at the gym. I should look for a rowing machine for the house.
    Last edited by j102; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I used to row in the winter at the gym and it helped my cycling too.

Rocks belong
    Seems like a good way to turn the suffer button to 11?

I bet a rower would be great for HIIT
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Rowing is a great exercise to counter the problems resulting from 8 hours at a computer keyboard. So is hauling wheelbarrows of landscaping materials up and down the yard.

jcd's best friend
    Man, I love and hate rowing. It's a great workout but it reminds me how much my upper body isn't in shape these days!
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Man, I love and hate rowing. It's a great workout but it reminds me how much my upper body isn't in shape these days!
    Exactly! And that's a big reason why I'm loving it! My cardio and "biking legs" are great from riding so much but man, the deficiencies elsewhere are significant. I have a membership at a local gym but the big problem is I abhor the gym and much of what goes on between people there. Even though we have rules, few regard them when it comes to open conversation, cell phone usage, etc. So, I'm not getting the upper or lower body work I need to supplement and it's not any easier at 56 years old.

This Concept 2 is the gold standard for ergs for Crew teams, Olympic crew training, gyms, you name it, there is a bazillion of them out there and for great reason. My gym only has TWO but dozens of treadmills and other various cardio machines. The day before I was to go pick mine up, I went specifically to do an exclusive rower workout and had to wait 20 minutes while 2 blue-hairs were using the 2 ergs in such an incredibly incorrect way while gab-gab-gab-gabbing the whole time never breaking a sweat. They finally bailed and I hopped on and got a solid 40 minute intense workout done...then went downstairs and terminated my membership effective at the end of the month since I'm already paid for Oct. I think I'll go back an pee in the pool one last time.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Reconnaissanceman View Post
    So is hauling wheelbarrows of landscaping materials up and down the yard.
    Knowing the trade intimately, that wreaks of serious and debilitating injury for the weekend yard warrior!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Seems like a good way to turn the suffer button to 11?

I bet a rower would be great for HIIT
    It is! Like an elliptical its full body so you can really push it.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    It is! Like an elliptical its full body so you can really push it.
    I have a hard time really pushing it on an elliptical. Just seems hard to really dial up the resistance and quickly 'kill' yourself. I've done HIIT before on a treadmill, but constantly dialing speed up/down for intervals is annoying.

I could see a rower with headphones playing music to a HIIT timer would be great. I bet you wanna puke within 10-12 minutes.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Reconnaissanceman View Post
    Rowing is a great exercise to counter the problems resulting from 8 hours at a computer keyboard.
    Because of the pulling motion?

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Because of the pulling motion?
    Proper form, which takes some significant effort and time to learn, amounts to 60% leg work, 30% torso, and 10% arms. Here's an illustration of what get worked and when as it applies to the Catch, the Drive, the Finish. This leaves out the aspect of Core work that happens when properly doing the Return as you're not really using straps on your feet to pull back forward. Not if you're doing it right, anyway.

Fitness: Indoor Rowing mixed with riding.-rowingmuscles.jpg

mtbr member
    You talked me into it.

mtbr member
    I've been using a rowing machine at gyms for years and years. It's a fantastic workout and I've always enjoyed it. The motion just seems so anatomically natural it really lends itself to focusing on form while pouring on the power.

About 15 years ago gyms starting getting those interactive machines where you can compete with other people. Infact there are entire competitive circuits that revolve around rowing stats. I've not gotten into that but have had some gym rats get pissy at me for smoking their stats.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

damned rocks...
    I used to do rowing while I was in college as cardio and fitness complement for my martial arts training. The one thing my trainer did put emphasis was in proper form before anything else.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
    You talked me into it.

If you're serious about starting, the Concept 2 website has some reslly good introductory videos to get you started safely down the right path. I have been sponging and immersed in info for a few weeks now. Another really good resource is a Dark Horse Rowing on YouTube. Tons of really good, relatively short and very informative videos on correct operation. You'll find virtially EVERYTHING centers around the Concept 2 Model D w/PM5 computer display. Just for informational sake, it's $900 on Amazon Prime and there is no better deal anywhere....I tried! I sought out used units in far away cities and people were asking almost as much as new for used machines. I was very lucky to find a cream puff for $650. Ping me if you have questions.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I've been using a rowing machine at gyms for years and years. It's a fantastic workout and I've always enjoyed it. The motion just seems so anatomically natural it really lends itself to focusing on form while pouring on the power.

About 15 years ago gyms starting getting those interactive machines where you can compete with other people. Infact there are entire competitive circuits that revolve around rowing stats. I've not gotten into that but have had some gym rats get pissy at me for smoking their stats.
    Yep! Every one of these is a Concept 2 Model D w/PM5 and you can link them if you like!

Fitness: Indoor Rowing mixed with riding.-crash.jpg

9 lives
    We have (and use) rowers at the crossfit gym. I like that you can set different programs for time, distance and effort. Rowing is incorprated into some of our HIIT workouts.

I personally prefer to run than row (especially long row sessions) because the seat chafes my tailbone. I'm a fast sprinter and I can run the distances faster than I can row. But that tells me that I need to work more on my rowing The longest row I've done at one time was 8km ... which is nothing compared to the recent 2018 Crossfit Games when the athletes did a marathon row (ie 42.2 km/ 26.2 mi). (Those athletes did the distance in 2:43 to +3 hours ... unbelievable times) You just can't use enough chamois butter!

Chris

Fitness: Indoor Rowing mixed with riding.-28279864_2067280503516390_6344941793462558684_n.jpg

Me

Fitness: Indoor Rowing mixed with riding.-29262085_2078130975764676_6473917442073559040_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I use a Concept 2. I find that it's a good way to cross train. Probably not as good as Cross-fit. My wife wanted to get me an indoor bike trainer but since I ride a 3-4 times a week I thought it would be better to find a different form of cardio for the days I can't ride. I do use an elliptical occasionally but I don't get the "you've just worked really hard" feeling when I use it, just bored.

I row a couple of days a week, more in winter due to weather and lack of daylight hours. The fact that it positioned in front of a tv makes the hour go a bit faster.

My sister-in-law rowed while in college and is a still a beast on the rower. She spent some time watching me row and coached me a bit. I also watched the videos on the website that are very helpful. Technique is key to avoid hurting yourself and making the workout a workout. There is an app, ErgData, that will track your rowing stats and can help keep you motivated.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribble Me View Post
    There is an app, ErgData, that will track your rowing stats and can help keep you motivated.
    In my hunt, I found that the numerous crossfit gyms in my locale ALL had multiple C2's and in talking to one gym owner I had been referred, it's a major element of their regimen and the machines have millions of meters. I looked at the "lifetime data" on the one I used at my gym and it was over 8 million meters. I missed the hour count.

ErgData is a Concept2 specific app and it IS great. It literally just started working for me late yesterday. I was having serious connectivity issues with it when I first bought the machine and I tried again late yesterday only to see some reviews from yesterday that were touting some fixes as well as replies from Concept. Sure enough...it connected and fired up so I got a few extra workouts in jut trying it out.

An FYI point, Strava is NOT rower friendly. You can only track very limited bits of data even when it's pushed by a Strava friendly app. Basically, meters rowed, time, and speed which will give you only a 500m split time but no force data, stroke data, etc. It actually sucks. That will remain exclusive to my biking log.

ErgData will 'push' to your personal logbook on their site as well as store on your PM5 or to a USB thumb drive which I have been doing since ErgData didn't work for me initially. I have my wife on her own thumb drive so she can save her own workouts and they don't get mixed in with my own. I'm pretty stoked the app now functions because it adds many really great elements of useful tracking data and allows you to use it in parallel with the PM5 and see data that is different then what the PM5 is reading out. It eliminates our need to switch out thumb drives between users, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I take a kayak out once or twice a week, also do bench press, fly's, sit-up machine and curls for some upper body to supplement riding.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I take a kayak out once or twice a week, also do bench press, fly's, sit-up machine and curls for some upper body to supplement riding.
    I love the kayak part of that. I used to have a bad-ass Wilderness Systems Ride 135 totally configured for inshore ocean fishing. Good upper body exercise and bringing home excellent dinner fare. Than I saw the 16'+ Great Whitey that likely ate 2 of our locals (surfers) exactly one year to the day apart, and the next season put 2 kayakers into mid air at separate intervals within minutes of each other. I know one of those guys and lets say he just made lots of "brown" when that all happened. I just can't even imagine!

Let just say I did quite well selling every bit of kayak gear I owned included a seldom used 'yak! I prefer the comfort of the nice, dry, 26' offshore rig I pilot!

The other half of your regimen means "GYM" for me. I'd take Shark over Gym, now!

mtbr member
    My wife is a rowing coach, and competitive rower, and we have a Concept 2 at home. She taught me to row. It is cool how much power you can put down when you get the technique and balance right, and when you're on the water, it's like you're your own jet boat, combined with some kind of crazy water bird. So, you may enjoy your local rowing club if you're stoked on erging already, and actually live near some water.

Also, Lee McCormack (Mastering Mountain Bike Skills, and a bunch of MTB fitness books, big deal with coaching and pump tracks) is pretty big into rowing as off season cross training, at least, and I think he would be more into it if he hadn't invented a MTB/row style workout machine.

Personally, I get enough hours biking that I haven't kept up with rowing, but I am tempted, since my lower back can be a limiting factor during dh mtb (and I am not stoked on going back to being a gym rat and doing deadlifts, even though that is surely the way to power up there).

BTW, OP: Does that windy rowing machine scare the crap out of your cats?
    Last edited by b rock; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:00 PM.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post

BTW, OP: Does that windy rowing machine scare the crap out of your cats?
    One of the Boyz (Wallace) has a heated pillow about 4 feet from the fan housing. He sleeps right through it! His brother (Gromit) tends to move to the other side of the room when it's going. Far less reaction than I expected!

Interesting thought on sculling. I have never done it in type. The thought has crossed my mind many times already as I do live 15 minutes from safe harbor in an ocean port and the same 15 minutes inland to a lake that I have seen guys sculling early morning when I'm fishing at times. I have 2 14' sailboats on trailers in my yard as well as a 17' bass boat. Another boat added to the mix would be frowned upon. I'm selling one of my sailboats after I do a bit of brightwork on it. Maybe then I could consider a single scull. I would think it would be a gas to do and between sunrise and about 1000h, the lake would be perfect on virtually a daily basis. It gets a bit too windy after 10 and you can generally set your watch by it.

mtbr member
    I did crossfit for a while. The rowing was a killer but it seemed to not effect me as much as far fitter crossfit athletes because i was a cyclist.

Same with the 1 min sprints on the fan bikes. I would be like top 5 but the other guys would fall to the floor after and i could prob go for a 2 hour mtb ride after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I love the kayak part of that. I used to have a bad-ass Wilderness Systems Ride 135 totally configured for inshore ocean fishing. Good upper body exercise and bringing home excellent dinner fare. Than I saw the 16'+ Great Whitey that likely ate 2 of our locals (surfers) exactly one year to the day apart, and the next season put 2 kayakers into mid air at separate intervals within minutes of each other. I know one of those guys and lets say he just made lots of "brown" when that all happened. I just can't even imagine!

Let just say I did quite well selling every bit of kayak gear I owned included a seldom used 'yak! I prefer the comfort of the nice, dry, 26' offshore rig I pilot!

The other half of your regimen means "GYM" for me. I'd take Shark over Gym, now!
    I have a Kayak set up for fishing and I use it in Long Island Sound. It is one of the Hobie models with a pedal powered system.
    Anyway, the thought of sharks crossed my mind because people have been reporting seals in the sound, and that means Great White Sharks!