Fit...Fit...Fit questions (bike fit, that is!)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fit...Fit...Fit questions (bike fit, that is!)

I am setting up a new bike. My road bike is set up so that my knee is over pedals (KOPS). I am comfortable and powerful in this position. On the Mtbike, what is the general thought of seat- fore/ aft placement? I don't want to 'just put the seat on'...I want to have a starting spot. If KOPS is the start spot, do you all like to have your seat then pushed up or back from that position (knee ahead or behind pedal)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Depends on the bike (i.e. seat tube angle), and rider preference. For the average rider, I would imagine a comfortable riding position is more important than KOPS. I would also hazard a guess, a very large number of MTBR members have no clue what KOPS is. If it means anything, I am a bit BEHIND.

Why are you asking? Do you want to race? Looking for the most efficient set-up?

You may also consider posting the question in the XC Racing Forum. Just a thought.

Jan 2004
    The rule of thumb for knee location in relation to the pedal as a starting point is that when the pedal is in the 3 o'clock position forward most point of the knee falls directly above the axle of the pedal. Adjust as necessary.

The saddle is adjust high enough so that when the pedal is in the 6 o'clock position (straight down) and the heel of the foot is on the pedal the leg is fully extended. This places a slight bend in the leg when the ball of the foot is used for riding. Again adjust as required for comfort.

Just rules of thumb and I'm somewhat certain they're similar to roadie thumb rules.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, what Fred said!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Get Comfortable first!

As a trolling noob, I agree w/Fred. Bars are more personal choice. Don't be afraid to make small changes. Just like spinning, it takes awhile to get comfortable. The miles will tell.

Ricisan