Finding the right LBS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Finding the right LBS

So we just moved across the country and I have been lucky enough to have an awesome LBS at each of the last two places I lived. I rode with the guys that worked there and considered them my friends. Both shops were of the "10 lbs. of biking stuff in a 5 lb. store" style, and it wasn't uncommon to chill behind the counter with them and have a beer (from their fridge) or for me to drop a 6 pack off to split with them, or to thank them for work they did.

So here everyone recommended the same place. I have been twice now. It's a huge building. So much room for pretty displays. And so clean. No kegerator. Service is pretty good, and friendly, but no group rides from the shop, etc... It's just too..... nice?

Am I insane?

My wife totally agrees with me BTW. The first thing out of her mouth when we got back in the car was "That place doesn't FEEL like a bike shop."

Gonna have to look around. This one is about 20 minutes from my house. There's another 20 minutes in the other direction I will try. Just curious if I am alone on this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If they are friendly and have good service I don't see any reason to go out of your way to avoid them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh yeah, I am far from saying I am boycotting them. Just gonna check the other place out.

This shop also has more road bikes on the floor than mountain bikes. That's a big check in the negative column (even though I road bike too).

Oh, and not a fan of the brands they carry is another... They have Specialized, but they have more GT than anything. Not that there's anything wrong with GT, just not familiar with them.

since 4/10/2009
    I get you. I want to go to a shop where I feel comfortable. I have been to big, clean shops where I felt that way. I've also been to shops like that where I didn't feel even remotely comfortable.

I like mtn biking, too
    It's not a real bike shop if there is no kegerator! Seriously though, I like shops that host group rides or at least contribute to some sort of real connection with the mountain biking community through rides, advocacy, maintaining the local pump track, sponsoring the high school team, etc. etc.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah. These guys don't even give a discount to members of the local Mountain Biking club, soon to be an IMBA chapter. But they do give discounts to the local road clubs.

The more I think about it, I am done with them. Not a bad experience, just not what I am looking for.

****** to the dirt
    sounds like they are more into road and have mountain just as a after thought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Diff'rent strokes. I personally like impersonal places.

Suckin wind like a boss
    my guys are not only the come-chill-and-have-a-beer kind of shop, but they also operate and maintain a private trail thats open to the public, and also run a regular race series in the area that routinely draws hundreds of riders to each event.

i have a roadie-centric shop not 5 minutes from the house, but they dont have "the vibe." i drive the half hour to my guys, and routinely bring them restock for the mini-fridge to pay back for the freebies i get.

i totally get where you are coming from.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Look around and find that "good feel" LBS. It may pop up where you least expect it. I have looked for years for a shop where i feel welcome. I have a local shop that is oriented toward rodies. Every time i have gone in there with my MTB, i left feeling like ," this is my LBS, but they don't LOVE MTB's," Now after the third time they grabbed my bike and fixed it on spot, I'm hooked. Maybe i'll get them out for a MTB ride. Go to Just Riding Along bike shop, located in Laytonsville, MD. JRAB's Rules!

Members who have read this thread: 0