Finding a good LBS is like finding a good mechanic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Finding a good LBS is like finding a good mechanic

I recently found a great LBS and am psyched about it I'm pretty cheap so I like to price shop online and I do most of my wrenching. However, I'm certain this place will save me $ in the long run.

First off, some of the prices in the shop are cheaper than anywhere I can find online...plus paying for and waiting for shipping and ordering wrong parts is a PITA.

Secondly, these guys are really freakin' good. I could have changed my bearings myself, but they tuned the hub to perfection. Not only that, it was actually cheaper going through them than buying online and doing it myself. Taking my bike in once in a while for check ups will certainly keep things running smoother and lasting longer.

Third, the guys are nice and helpful and it's fun talking bikes and local happenings with them. Plus they'll offer you things like cookies and whatever else they have laying around

This probably sounds a bit like shill but I don't have any affiliation. I just want to point out that if you can find a great LBS that does excellent work it's worth a thousand bucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Dude I couldnt agree more!! Stick with the LBS all the way!! They end up making things worth your while because they want to hold onto a paying customer!! I have had pretty much all my work done at my LBS. They go above and beyond anything I could ever ask for. They are great guys who love promoting their sport and when they treat their custys (me) they get even more coming their way. I have pointed many individuals in their direction who end up doing business with them because they too realize how good of a shop is being run.

So if anyone reading this is in RI for anything be sure to check out Blackstone Bikes in Lincoln RI. They will go above and beyond to make sure that you are a returning customer!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How much do they charge for tune ups at your LBS? Mine charges $75.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Finding a good mech. IS finding a good lbs. Without the mechanic a shop has squat. But a shop with a great mechanic and reasonable prices is the holy grail.

MTBR Member
    B-a-b?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnaz201
    How much do they charge for tune ups at your LBS? Mine charges $75.
    Not sure how much a tune up is -- I'm sure it depends on what you have done. I've gone to 7 shops in my area -- it's worth shopping around if you have more than one around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee
    Finding a good mech. IS finding a good lbs. Without the mechanic a shop has squat. But a shop with a great mechanic and reasonable prices is the holy grail.
    Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    B-a-b?
    Yep

Old Dirt Road Tourist
    I've had great experiences at every shop in Ashland, but when it comes to repairs, I go all the way to Flywheel in Talent; and that's not trivial for me, I'm old and slow and live four miles south of Ashland so it takes about three and a half hours just for me to make the trip. (Uphill all the way home.)

mtbr member
    I have finally found a really good mechanic and i'm thrilled about it too He is the mechanic of a lot of local pros, charges SO little for his work, and teaches you how to do things. I really like working on my bike, but knowing that he will do a way better job and take less time, i almost always decide to take it to him instead of doing it myself.

Members who have read this thread: 0