Fights on the trail- Mtbr.com
    "2 Wycked"

Fights on the trail

Anybody ever seen or been involved in a fight while on the trails? I have not, but just curious to see if anyone else has
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

is buachail foighneach me
    Nope. That would be pretty messed up though, to get in a situation where you're likely to injure someone miles away from help.

I Love Lamp
    Not personally, but there was a scuffle on one of our trails recentlyyh. Guys going downhill didn't want to yeild to guys going uphill. Words were exchanged; a couple of guys took their shirts off to show off their muscles and started screaming in a white-trash sort of way. There was some pushing and shoving, and it ended with that. Really weird.
    It's T-Shirt time!

College Boy
    Only one I have seen/heard about was at a bike race I was at. At the end of a race one guy just started cussing out another rider saying he cut him off on the hill climb and ruined his line blah blah blah.
    I will say that hill that he was talking about is a pretty steep and hard climb. I saw the experts having to get off and hike the bike up it because you have to do that climb at low speeds because of how the trail was set up and at the top the back wheel would spin out.

Either way it was rather amusing to watch this guy go off on a cussing spree and try to push that other guy around. I believe the 2 of them were pretty much neck and neck the entire race and that happen on the last lap and cause the guy who got cut off to loss.

No known cure
    I had someone search me out at the finish line and yell at me for buzzing their rear tire in a race. The rider had headphones on and couldn't hear me screaming "On your left" while I was trying to pass in a singletrack section.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This tool has caused confrontation's : http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=mike+trial

b a n n e d
    repost but still hilarious: Fender Bender Freakout

I hate bikes.
    wasn't involved in it, but a couple years ago, (08 I believe) In Telluride at the MSC race, there were a couple XCers who got into a bawlling fight, ended up getting banned from the series. It was awesome to watch.
    Buffalo Creek sucks, stay in Denver next week.

mtbr member
    Not on the trail, but I have had more than a few occasions where words were exchanged on my road bike, never physical.

SSlow rider
    We were out raking leaves off of a local trail one day a while back & a dog walker started chewing us out. He was upset about the leaves being moved & threatened to come back and put them back on the trail after we left. His claim was that rain & snow would get the trail wetter without the protection of the leaves. I asked him about the leaves holding moisture in & stopping the trail from drying out more quickly. He didn't have an answer.

No fists were thrown.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Not in the trails, but I have seen one in the concrete jungle after a bicyclist ran a red light and plowed into a pedestrian. Does that count?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb
    Not on the trail, but I have had more than a few occasions where words were exchanged on my road bike, never physical.
    Another road bike situation, I got into a heated verbal confrontation with a rental car shuttle bus driver once. He passed me VERY close and I slapped the side of the bus because as close as he was I figured he didn't know I was there. He didn't like that too much.

mtbr member
    this is a stupid thread..............whats that yer sayin

ya wanna go

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash

ya wanna go

Hell yeah I wanna go, I just hit you in the jaw with a brick, now your turn....im ready for it

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash

ya wanna go

Sums it up pretty well IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03
    Hell yeah I wanna go, I just hit you in the jaw with a brick, now your turn....im ready for it
    wait a sec, I'm gonna hit you with this beer bottle but first I've got to finish it off.
    Ahhh what the hell, there is another in the back of my truck, grab it and let's talk about biking.

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Sums it up pretty well IMHO.

Opinions are like a**holes, everyones got em and they all stink

black tooth grin

i know, i know its a bad attempt

I'll add to the stupidity...

I have been in a fight on the trail.
    Last summer i was on a trail "huffin" it up a hill movin slowly no doubt and i hear someone behind me "On your left" i moved over but bein new on the trail i ended up bein on the good line and as they pass me on the hill I over hear "get the F*** outta the way next time, u took my line." I said "i moved over just like you called" and I procceded to make fun of the bikers poor choice of bike accessories and then, ALL CHAOS BROKE OUT they jumped off the bike and charged me, sending us rollin down the hill i received several scraps/cuts and plenty of "bruises" to my ego thats when i learned..never say nothin to someone if ur outta breath and tired already. cause twelve yr olds have way better endurance than me and can have tasseles on there handle bars if they want to. What an akward drive home that was, gets it from her mom i guess.
    i stand and mash..my wife is the spinner

"2 Wycked"
    [QUOTE=mjf125]I'll add to the stupidity...

I have been in a fight on the trail.
    Last summer i was on a trail "huffin" it up a hill movin slowly no doubt and i hear someone behind me "On your left" i moved over but bein new on the trail i ended up bein on the good line and as they pass me on the hill I over hear "get the F*** outta the way next time, u took my line." I said "i moved over just like you called" and I procceded to make fun of the bikers poor choice of bike accessories and then, ALL CHAOS BROKE OUT they jumped off the bike and charged me, sending us rollin down the hill i received several scraps/cuts and plenty of "bruises" to my ego thats when i learned..never say nothin to someone if ur outta breath and tired already. cause twelve yr olds have way better endurance than me and can have tasseles on there handle bars if they want to. What an akward drive home that was, gets it from her mom i guess[QUOTE]

There's no such thing as a stupid thread, only stupid people that respond to threads that they think are stupid. And shame on you...you shouldn't be fighting twelve year olds
    Last edited by crazy03; 04-17-2011 at 09:46 AM.

AZ
    banned
    Hit them with your purse next time.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03
    Anybody ever seen or been involved in a fight while on the trails? I have not, but just curious to see if anyone else has
    Well, there is this one hill that I don't get along with too well.... but we have come to an understanding with each other.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

J:
    so many fights with it. Not a good idea to fight the trail

Ride Instigator
    I had to bunnyhop a big ol' raccoon when I came upon him while rounding a blind turn one time. He was looking at me like he WANTED to kick my a$$ but I got the he!! out of his way! .

banned
    Sep 2010
    Why the hell would anyone want to fight on the trail? The trail kicking your ass isn't enough?

Class Clown
    What is it, the first hole I dug? Not the first time I dug a hole. Where are the shovels?

"2 Wycked"
    Settle down over there Pesci

The White Jeff W
    A couple minor verbal exchanges with horse riders. No blows exchanged.
    No moss...

SSOD
    I ran up on some hunters once where I came around a blind turn and almost ran over dude's kid. He got really mad and yelled at me, but he had a gun so I went on and called the Game Wardens when I got to the trailhead. This was on State reservoir that had no guns/ no alcohol signs posted everywhere. When the Game Wardens got there I split, those rednecks are freckin crazy.

Not to mention finding 12 gauge shells and empty beer cans on the trail wasn't scary enough anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I saw an owl and a rabbit fight last week. Actually i rolled up shortly after the fight and the owl tried to fly off with the loser. He made it about ten yards before he dropped it and hauled arse.

since 4/10/2009
    Came close once. I was doing TM early this spring (winter for most of the rest of you) and I was moving some stout chainsawed hunks of wood to close a bandit trail. I was rolling on of these between a tight spot created where someone cut through a tree that had fallen over the trail awhile ago (the source of the piece of wood I was moving) and a couple meatheads from the university's cycling club were playing race track. I called to them a few times as they approached to warn them I was there and occupying most of the trail. They ignored me and nearly hit me at the tight spot.

I called them out for being jerks and they proceeded to go "authority figure" on me because the one guy was the president of the university cycling club like that gave him any kind of authority over anything. Amusing part about that is that the university cycling club was approached many times (by others higher on the food chain than myself) to help with trail construction on our complete rebuild of the trails, and they never lifted a finger. I called the punk kid out on it and I think I hit a nerve.

No physical altercation, but the other guy wanted one. I'd have preferred they walk their bikes past me, but I'd have been okay with a greeting acknowledging my warnings and slowing down as they passed. But no, they accelerated and ignored me.

mtbr member

A Close One!

Years ago, I was in the bike leg of a triathlon. Some crazy dude cut me off while attempting to blow snot on me. I was shocked, and wanted to punch him but really didn't have the option because he pulled away from me. What an a-hole!

After the race, when I thought about it some more, I realized that I probably sprayed that guy earlier while performing an emergency "farmer blow" from my dripping sinuses.

Ooops!

Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was about to the other week when I saw a person ride down a foot travel only trail
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had a guy try to fight me while snow boarding once. It was a sweet powder day at Telluride and I didn't have the right temperature wax on my board and got stuck on a traverse, and some guy had to go around me and wrecked because the snow was so deep, and got super pissed. I kept egging him on because he was such a tool, so after he gets his skis off and starts charging me I reminded him that powder days are fun and fighting over lines was very stupid. We went on our way.

Its got what plants crave
    I wear riding gloves with integrated brass knuckles.

That way when the park ranger starts shouting about "this is a hiking trail" or something about "sensitive ecological area" or "nesting endangered species" I can just bust him in the eyeball and continue my ride. I keep it real.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

J:
    Oh where can I get those^^
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Riding down Belcher to the lower lot at White Ranch (Front Range of CO) in the 90's, two guys passed a couple of us while we were stopped at the junction with Mustang trail. The first rider didn't call out and actually brushed one of my friends as he went by. The second was cool, let us know he was there and said hello as he passed. When we started down, we caught up to them pretty quickly, I passed the second guy easily enough and then caught up to the ****** that passed us first. I repeatedly yelled "on your left" but got no response. I took advantage of the double track in a turn to pass him with about 3 feet between us and continued on down. Near the bottom where the trail flattens out near the parking lot I stopped to fix a pinch flat. While I was pulling the tire off the rim, I heard bikes coming down the trail and looked up just in time to see the guy I had passed vaulting off his bike and lunging at me while swinging wildly. I stepped back, ducking, and he punched the top of my helmet only doing damage to his fist. He then got tangled up in my bike on the ground while I held him off, all the while screaming about "how dare I pass him on the downhill!" and "I'm a park ranger, I'm going to have you arrested!" His riding partner shows up, jumps off of his bike, grabs the guy I'm fighting with by his camelback, throws him into the nearby barbed-wire fence and then threatens to take him down and arrest him. Turns out the second guy had just met the first in the parking lot and agreed to ride together and furthermore he was a Jefferson County Sheriffs Deputy. He had seen the entire thing as he was riding down and encouraged me to press charges (I didn't). Also turns out that my attacker had been kicked off the local Jeffco Parks volunteer crew for being belligerent and abusing his power. You just never know what wack-jobs you can encounter on the trail.

mtbr member
    "His riding partner shows up, jumps off of his bike, grabs the guy I'm fighting with by his camelback, throws him into the nearby barbed-wire fence and then threatens to take him down and arrest him."

That is awesome!

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko
    I had to bunnyhop a big ol' raccoon when I came upon him while rounding a blind turn one time. He was looking at me like he WANTED to kick my a$$ but I got the he!! out of his way! .
    Lol same **** happened to me. Coming around a blind corner I see a momma racoon and I almost hit her. She got scared but quickly came after me very pissed off. She's lucky she was with children or id of had to exchange blows with her.
    Ride

I'm just messing with you
    I was at Snowshoe / Silver Creek one year with my wife, and a racer boy came flying out onto the double track we were riding and basically shoulder down rammed right into my wife. He must've been in the zone because he jumped up without saying a word and tried to get back on his bike. I remember snatching him back off it by the shirt collar but my wife broke it up before it came to blows ... I don't think she's been on a bike since.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Stucco Bucket
    Actually we have quite a few scuffles on the trail out here. oddly though, its one individual that seems to always be involved.
    Are you reading this?

Members who have read this thread: 0