Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    why can't you guys wear snake chaps? it should be snake bite proof right?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Road riding at night? I'm not too sure about that, its bad enough during the day!
    With good lights, I find that cars give me MORE space than they give during daylight hours.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    let me guess - you've never worn snake chaps, or snake boots, or anything of the sort.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    With good lights, I find that cars give me MORE space than they give during daylight hours.
    I just got a NR Lumina 900 for Friday's night rides, it should be a huge improvement from my 450. This ride is a loop around the neighborhood but we do hit some pavement. I have to wait one more week, as I finish evening hours this Friday.

That 900 will also be a nice complement to my RAKC helmet light, for the real trail rides.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Is it too late to bring back the rattlesnake discussion?

Hereís one I recently saw a couple of weeks ago. He was a baby Prairie Rattler in Northern Colorado. Hard to tell in the footage but he was barely a foot long, if that, and only as thick as a cigar. The temperature that day was 68į but two days prior there was snow on the ground and in the 20įís. The drastic temp changes around here play havoc with them going in and out of hibernation. I scooted him off the trail but didnít expect him to be so active as he was coming off snow two days prior.

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Stand-up philosopher
    Have US parks becoming hot spots for criminals?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I can't speak for everywhere, but around Nashville dudes park looking for sexual favors. They've done numerous undercover stings to calm it down. We've even had some trails that have 2 trailheads have to close the more secluded trailhead to discourage it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I just don't care for it much. I'll do it if it is the only way I am riding, but I am never totally comfortable going fast at night.

The other reason is that during the warmer months, there is plenty of daylight, and there is no reason to ride at night, unless I feel like waiting until really late to go riding. And during the winter months, its too freaking cold at night. I'd rather go in the day.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Are there really so many homeless camps that anywhere you want to ride you have to go through them? And why would this only an be issue at night?

Personally, I've stopped for a trailside beer 'n' smoke with local denizens staying "down by the river" quite a few times back when I lived in the city. Never had any issues.
    I dunno, we don't have 'urban' trail systems where I live. There are some down the road though and my guess is a few of them have an area that is known to be at least a hang-out, if not a camp.

In the daytime you are on equal footing - they see you when you see them most likely and you're faster, at night they see you a long ways away due to lights and you may never see them if they don't have lights. All hypothetical since I don't have to deal with this, but it would worry me I think.

I definitely would not be stopping to hang out with them. These days they're all just smoking spice anyway.

mtbr member
    Have US parks becoming hot spots for criminals?

Not only US parks, but also county and town parks. The robbery, harassment and general tomfoolery is on the hizzy.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Not only US parks, but also county and town parks. The robbery, harassment and general tomfoolery is on the hizzy.
    On the hizzy or off the hizzy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Shit. The US has higher crime rate than Canada. We don't have these issues in small towns or in big parks

Bikesexual
    I live in a fairly safe city, but I see trash, grocery carts, and dirty clothes from homeless along the horse trails.

The other morning while riding, I approched something that smelled like weed, sure enough a homeless guy was burning it out of a beer can. I think my cowbell scared the crap out of him lol.

You just never know how these guys will react.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Snow Dog
    Shit. The US has higher crime rate than Canada. We don't have these issues in small towns or in big parks

I live in a fairly safe city, but I see trash, grocery carts, and dirty clothes from homeless along the horse trails.

The other morning while riding, I approched something that smelled like weed, sure enough a homeless guy was burning it out of a beer can. I think my cowbell scared the crap out of him lol.

You just never know how these guys will react.
    here in central Ohio, creepers in parks has been a thing since the 70's....teens doing drugs and stuff; weirdos masturbating or exposing themselves in their car or on the trails; assaults are not common, but do occur, as well as kidnappings. In certain parts of the city, there is also some rashes of body dumping. especially recently.

there are some known places for homeless camps, and gang hangouts, and they are pretty easy to avoid, but there are also hidden outposts that you can't see until you are right on them...always indicated by the trash remnants laying around.

and the US crime rate is definitely higher because we don't punish criminals...we coddle, encourage and even glorify criminal behavior in our culture and it has gotten worse in the past 20 years, at least it seems to me. (That might be the "Old Man" syndrome kicking in)
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    body dumping
    While very rare, this happens from time to time where I ride. It's probably my biggest fear that I consider legitimate when I ride at night. I'd have to be incredibly unlucky for it to happen, but I would not want to roll up on a group digging a hole by myself.

"Didn't see a thing fellas, have a good night."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    and the US crime rate is definitely higher because we don't punish criminals...we coddle, encourage and even glorify criminal behavior in our culture and it has gotten worse in the past 20 years, at least it seems to me. (That might be the "Old Man" syndrome kicking in)
    US crime rate is at or around it's lowest in recorded history AFAIK.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Formerly of Kent
    here in central Ohio, creepers in parks has been a thing since the 70's....teens doing drugs and stuff; weirdos masturbating or exposing themselves in their car or on the trails; assaults are not common, but do occur, as well as kidnappings. In certain parts of the city, there is also some rashes of body dumping. especially recently.

there are some known places for homeless camps, and gang hangouts, and they are pretty easy to avoid, but there are also hidden outposts that you can't see until you are right on them...always indicated by the trash remnants laying around.

And this is not at all reflected by reality.

Not only is the crime rate lower than ever, but our incarcerated population is higher than any other country in the world.

Now, we DO punish people for silly shit, like holding a couple grams of weed. And we donít punish people for killing people, like the many cyclists killed by drivers each year. So, yeah, weíve really got our priorities in order there./s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I thought we were talking about night riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I thought we were talking about night riding?
    Yes. You guys are scare to ride at night

Formerly of Kent

There is nothing that you

Death from Below.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    Only if your lights suck and/or you are extremely fearful.

Only if your lights suck.

Only if your lights suck and/or you are extremely fearful.
    We used to ride 40mph with a 10W Vista Light (actually, I had a 5W and a 10W). One of my best crashes EVAR! Minor scrapes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Hey, we're out here. Been riding with a group at least one night ride a week (summer months excluded) since the mid 90s. I own lots of old lighting systems.

No bear or cat issues for me. But I do see occasional owls and lots of spider eyes/green glints. Forgot, I've been harrased by European Hornets twice.
    Those European hornets are bastards. Not only do they attack for no reason, but they are flying around in the dark! MFers! I got hit twice in 3 weeks (on completely different parts of the same trail system, moving at ~10mph), and the 2nd one caused a reaction: itchy, tingling, numbness... it was freaky.

This morning, 5:45am, with 102% leaf cover (pretty much my favorite conditions):
    few people ride at night?-20181114_054527%5B1%5D.jpg

This has a pretty scary effect when you don't know that it's only a deer.
    few people ride at night?-eyes2.jpg

This past August:
    Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  12.6 KB

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Fleas wins again
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post

This past August:
    Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  12.6 KB

-F
    Lol...that's great!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member

I sure am. Hypothermia is a real threat starting in October and lasting until April. My favorite trails have a meter of soft snow on them right now.

The sun is out until 10 pm during the warm months - why would I wait that late to ride?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    I sure am. Hypothermia is a real threat starting in October and lasting until April. My favorite trails have a meter of soft snow on them right now.

The sun is out until 10 pm during the warm months - why would I wait that late to ride?
    This. Iím not afraid of two or four legged creatures around here. Iím afraid of getting caught out if and when the predictably unpredictable weather decides to not match the Wunderground forecast.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I dunno, we don't have 'urban' trail systems where I live. There are some down the road though and my guess is a few of them have an area that is known to be at least a hang-out, if not a camp.

In the daytime you are on equal footing - they see you when you see them most likely and you're faster, at night they see you a long ways away due to lights and you may never see them if they don't have lights. All hypothetical since I don't have to deal with this, but it would worry me I think.
    I rode urban trails all the time at night. In single track twisty trails, people don't see you coming at night until your are right on top of them. I have scared a lot of people doing all sorts of weird stuff out in the wood. People aren't aware of their surroundings day or night.

since 4/10/2009
    here in central Ohio, creepers in parks has been a thing since the 70's....teens doing drugs and stuff; weirdos masturbating or exposing themselves in their car or on the trails; assaults are not common, but do occur, as well as kidnappings.
    back in college, I was riding roads through a state park near campus (in Ohio), and was followed by a weird creeper probably looking for sexual favors. I eventually stopped, sat at a picnic table, and pretended to pull out a pencil and paper, and write down his license plate number. he GTFO pretty quick when I did that. broad daylight, by the way. I was also propositioned at the grocery store once (also Ohio). That crap hasn't happened to me anywhere else. wtf is wrong with Ohio?

back in college, I was riding roads through a state park near campus (in Ohio), and was followed by a weird creeper probably looking for sexual favors. I eventually stopped, sat at a picnic table, and pretended to pull out a pencil and paper, and write down his license plate number. he GTFO pretty quick when I did that. broad daylight, by the way. I was also propositioned at the grocery store once (also Ohio). That crap hasn't happened to me anywhere else. wtf is wrong with Ohio?
    The joy of todayís cell phones with cameras.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    The joy of todayís cell phones with cameras.
    no kidding

Professional Crastinator
    Ahh, life in NE Ohio...
    We experienced some real irony here one year. The one, big-wig guy who worked for the park system that was forever against opening any trails to MTBs for many unfounded reasons was caught in a sting operation shortly after his retirement in the park system he used to manage.
    There's a running joke to not back into your parking spot, or sit in your vehicle with the parking lights on. Supposedly it's a proverbial flame for the proverbial creepy moths.

On the positive side, though, is that MTBers around here keep a pretty random schedule, which discourages most of the creepers from "parking" or loitering too long. Trails close 1/2 hr. after sunset, though, so that's the witching hour in the remote parking lots. I have friends who work for the park and they said the rangers deal with some fairly weird stuff on a daily basis.

I've never had trouble with random people on a night ride in 25 yrs. Frog migration...now that was weird. But no dangerous critters here.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am fully equipped for winter trips hence I am not concerned about hypothermia

Formerly of Kent

Given your previous statements re: outdoor adventures, Iíd question the veracity of this statement.

Death from Below.

Light freak

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Given your previous statements re: outdoor adventures, Iíd question the veracity of this statement.

You doubt the captain statements? This is blasphemy

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post

What kind of light did he used?

mtbr member
    On the hizzy or off the hizzy?
    I'd say it is 'on' for the time being. Snoop be hittin' the bud way 2 much.

mtbr member

The tomfoolery is running rampant...odd folks lingering about looking for unusual transactions or what have you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    There is nothing that you

These non-sequiturs are challenging. Only Picard will understand.

mtbr member

So am I but I don't find it enjoyable to ride a bike when wearing the gear needed to stay warm in sub-zero (F) temps. You should try skiing. It's lot more fun than pushing your bike through snow higher than your axles, in the dark.

Christ, I've been on here long enough to not to feed the trolls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I rode urban trails all the time at night. In single track twisty trails, people don't see you coming at night until your are right on top of them.
    Most of our trails have pretty good sight distance to see lights coming at night due to the steep terrain. I always lead on the descents for our group night rides, and it's fun to stop and look back up the mountain and see half a dozen or more riders descending switch back above with lights blazing.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    We do ride the north shore in the dark with lights. It helps your skills because it's such a different experience. That said, it's hard to go out in the dark when it's cold too.

mtbr member
    let me guess - you've never worn snake chaps, or snake boots, or anything of the sort.
    Yeah, right? Can't imagine imagine riding equipped like that. Beside, creates a false sense of security. I've seen a rattler reach the arm of someone on horseback. Boots and chaps did nothing to help. A six foot strike is not out of the question.

For me in North Texas, it isn't so much rattlers I'm concerned about as it is copperhead and water moccasin if near water. Copperhead aren't that aggressive (unless you run 'em over), but a moccasin with chase you. I do not like them.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    but a moccasin with chase you. I do not like them.
    old wive's tale, or at least overblown, imo. I did wildlife research in grad school in central and east tx. encountered plenty of cottonmouths. stepped right over the top of several. never got chased. never even had any do the open-mouth threat posture. because I wasn't stupid and didn't harass 'em.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    A six foot strike is not out of the question.
    What? Most literature I've seen says snakes can strike at most half their length... You got twelve foot rattlers out west?

mtbr member
    old wive's tale, or at least overblown, imo. I did wildlife research in grad school in central and east tx. encountered plenty of cottonmouths. stepped right over the top of several. never got chased. never even had any do the open-mouth threat posture. because I wasn't stupid and didn't harass 'em.
    I've heard that it's a wive's tale, but had one chase me away from my boat in the marina. Guess I formed my own ill advised opinion. But who knows, maybe it didn't have anywhere else to go considering we were on a dock. I didn't stop to ask it. They used to nest in the exhaust ports of the boat. Nothing like firing up the engines and have a wad of them come out.

In any case, see a LOT more copperhead then any other snake here in North Texas. Especially early evening. Heck, there're even in my front yard in the middle of a packed housing development. Enough so that I keep one of our 9mm's loaded with "pest control" rounds (mini #12 shot shells). Nice 12" spread at 8-10'.

Back to mountain biking... If I see them (any snake) on a ride, I just focus on maintaining my momentum and don't stop to sight see.

What I haven't seen mention regarding night riding yet, is feral hogs. I see them on a couple of more remote trails here. Stinky and mean. I keep my distance. Anyone have any run-in's with one?

What? Most literature I've seen says snakes can strike at most half their length... You got twelve foot rattlers out west?
    LOL
    Shits getting deep in here.

since 4/10/2009
    had one chase me away from my boat in the marina. Guess I formed my own ill advised opinion. But who knows, maybe it didn't have anywhere else to go considering we were on a dock.
    ANY cornered animal that feels threatened is going to make a bigger show than it otherwise might.

since 4/10/2009
    they jump, didn't you know?

ANY cornered animal that feels threatened is going to make a bigger show than it otherwise might.
    I had a Cottonmouth chase me around the block. Luckily their stamina is only good for 3/4 of a mile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Worst Iíve seen for height was a red racer that got spooked be a car. It was zipping along towards the road and a car went by right when it got to the road. It raised up at the car up to the windows, and turned and raced away. I was on a motorcycle behind the car and grateful it was the car that spooked it and not me. Iíd of had a heart attack and wrecked if a snake was suddenly that high next to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    What I haven't seen mention regarding night riding yet, is feral hogs. I see them on a couple of more remote trails here. Stinky and mean. I keep my distance. Anyone have any run-in's with one?
    Very common around here. Skip to 1:05

Good thing you had Phil Collins to scare him off the trail.

mtbr member
    Don't go kissin a cottonmouth, it's not infact cotton in there.

Name:  Austin_Hatfield_cottonmouth_bite_490rev-490x374.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  49.1 KB

There's a clip of a fishing show where a cottonmouth swims directly at the boat, up onto the boat, then bites the dude fishing. Luckily it's fangs got caught up in the guys pants and not his skin.

My buddy and I were picking peppers and stuff from his garden in NJ. Low and behold I spot a pretty damn big cottonmouth coiled up under a plant. Both of us had our hands and feet mere inches from this thing and never saw it, nor did it budge. The worst part of the story is I absent mindedly rubbed my eye after handling habanero peppers. Lights or no lights I couldn't see so well.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    LOL. I hope you donít rely on literature to always be accurate when dealing with how far a snake can strike. That there is a recipe for disaster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    they jump, didn't you know?
    ... White men can't jump..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtjunkie View Post
    i had a cottonmouth chase me around the block. Luckily their stamina is only good for 3/4 of a mile.
    lol.

mtbr member
    ... White men can't jump..

HA! Here in Cali our rattlers can dunk!

Bikesexual
    Some of you never watched Ntl Geo? They can jump from trees!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Have a seat and hold on to your britches scaredy-cats.

GalŠpagos Islands, Racer Snakes trying to make a dinner out of baby Marine Iguanas. Hope none of you have nightmares after watching this.

Story here> https://www.fastcompany.com/3068093/...-earth-ii-clip

few people ride at night?-2d29b4dc-4545-4bae-a48e-f29380b6dd06.jpg

Bikesexual

GalŠpagos Islands, Racer Snakes trying to make a dinner out of baby Marine Iguanas. Hope none of you have nightmares after watching this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D29B4DC-4545-4BAE-A48E-F29380B6DD06.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	1225189
    Wow! That was insanely awesome!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Wow! That was insanely awesome!
    Pretty amazing, were you rooting for the little new born Iguana?

Bikesexual
    Pretty amazing, were you rooting for the little new born Iguana?
    I can't believe she made it out!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

I can't believe she made it out!
    Spoiler alert.

She almost didnít on several occasions. Amazing photography work.

passed out in your garden

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2D29B4DC-4545-4BAE-A48E-F29380B6DD06.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	1225189
    and this is why when lm on the Galapogos lslands, l only ride at night
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    LOL
    Shits getting deep in here.
    Ok, ok... I'm certainly not the expert. Strike, jump, hop, po-go stick, whatever. I just remember seeing a rattler reach the forearm of a horseback rider. I just estimated that to be 6 feet. So, in MY mind, it's 6 feet! Maybe it came off a ledge or something. Don't care. For me, 6 feet is what I'm sticking with as my safety zone.

Besides, if I hear a rattle while riding, the next sound I hear is my derailleur rattle as it goes to a higher gear. Not hanging around to measure how far anything can propel itself.

mtbr member
    Striking half their length is about right for a snake that is coiled up. My snake grabber is about 3' long and I've picked up dozens of rattlesnakes with it, several of them were at least 6 footers.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    LOL. I hope you donít rely on literature to always be accurate when dealing with how far a snake can strike. That there is a recipe for disaster.
    Well I don't measure the snake first, so it's all guessing anyway... But I get within six feet of them plenty often though, they aren't striking that far. You can be paranoid and ignore science all you want, doesn't change a thing in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Striking half their length is about right for a snake that is coiled up. My snake grabber is about 3' long and I've picked up dozens of rattlesnakes with it, several of them were at least 6 footers.
    LOL. I hope you don't rely on personal experience to always be accurate when dealing with how far a snake can strike. That there is a recipe for disaster.

Elitest thrill junkie
    few people ride at night?-576.jpg

few people ride at night?-43266164_10101562976849058_5303375258609254400_o.jpgfew people ride at night?-img_5781.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You should have given him Picard's number.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    I have no venomous snakes where I live.

Therefore, my only excuse for not riding at night is sheer laziness. Okay, maybe drunkenness too.

mtbr member
    Besides, if I hear a rattle while riding, the next sound I hear is my derailleur rattle as it goes to a higher gear. Not hanging around to measure how far anything can propel itself.
    I was riding a trail on the east side of the state down a gulch and happened upon a rattler on a rock ledge immediately next to my left hand. At that point, there wasn't really much that I could do except continue down and away on the right-hand switchback. That was a bit creepy.

mtbr member
    LOL. I hope you don't rely on personal experience to always be accurate when dealing with how far a snake can strike. That there is a recipe for disaster.

Personal experience combined with cat-like reflexes has worked ok so far.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Personal experience combined with cat-like reflexes has worked ok so far.
    From now on you must apply the 'seven times their length, plus three times your dropper post's drop' rule.

Iím going to need my boots itís getting so deep in here.

passed out in your garden
    I was thinking a few peeps need a bucket for the amount of sh!t they're dribbling, but boots might be a good idea

I only got 10 lt buckets.........
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member

I know, right? Lots of misinformation going around.

By the way, did you know that snakes can bite their tail and form a hoop and roll down hills after their victims?
    Terrifying on a downhill run! A 6 footer only makes about a 24" wheel though so if you're running 29's you can easily outdistance them due to superior rollover. All bets are off if you run across an 8 footer though.....
    I brake for stinkbugs

One ring to mash them all
    From now on you must apply the 'seven times their length, plus three times your dropper post's drop' rule.
    ^This guy does government cost estimating.

By the way, did you know that snakes can bite their tail and form a hoop and roll down hills after their victims?
    Terrifying on a downhill run! A 6 footer only makes about a 24" wheel though so if you're running 29's you can easily outdistance them due to superior rollover. All bets are off if you run across an 8 footer though.....
    Nah, just surround yourself with a horsehair rope, the snake won't cross it.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Mountain lions being shot in subdivisions and black bears in neighborhoods? I still ride at night and usually just see whippoorwills. Best theory on the lion is it was domesticated and released or escaped.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The majority of my weekday rides cross into the post-sunset timeframe. Here in Phoenix, that's the only way to avoid roasting in the summer, and it's downright pleasant in the fall/spring seasons (what few days we get of either.) The last few rides have been getting sorta chilly, to the point where some arm/knee warmers or something else are gonna get implemented soon, but other than that, it's great.

Also less concern over wildlife in the colder months since the danger-noodles aren't out and about. And fewer people out at night vs. daylight.

be1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    my "night" rides start out in the afternoon when the days are short. not too many dangerous animals here but i see fox, raccoons and owls a bit of the time. some riders report finding unsuspecting couples doing it on the trail.
    for sure riding at night changes how you see a trail. and some riders ride our directional trails backwards at night for variety.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Full moon tonight. I was howling at it on the trail. Saw a big F-ing moose. Night starts at about 5pm.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Full moon tonight. I was howling at it on the trail. Saw a big F-ing moose. Night starts at about 5pm.
    that sounds awesome (the moose bit anyways.. ) I live in CA now. .. the difference between summer / winter sunset isn't so extreme.. it is earlier but not like when I lived in Seattle and it would be dark at 4:30 near solstice.

I've only seen a Moose a couple times but they are amazing .. huge animals..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    it is earlier but not like when I lived in Seattle and it would be dark at 4:30 near solstice.
    Yeah, sunset at 4:18 today in Massachusetts. WTF!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Yeah, sunset at 4:18 today in Massachusetts. WTF!
    Nothing that a good set of bike lights couldnít fix.

the half breed devil
    let me help you restore order...

my night rides are kind of far and few between, but i own more than adequate lighting for what i do.

i would ride at night a lot more if :

(1) the wind and fog were a little less in san francisco and southern marin county during the summer. 55 degrees is not what you think it is when there is a cold breeze constantly blowing in from the ocean.

(2) if i could find a way to keep moisture off my prescription glasses on nights when the fog is really heavy. my eyesight is not all that great without corrective lenses and my night vision is worse. i cannot wear contacts according to my optometrist.

(3) if i could find one or two people to night ride with whose schedules mesh with mine.

i'm not worried about any animals but skunks and two-legged ne'er do wells. i had a creepy cretin of some kind try to approach me while i was taking a break in golden gate park on a night ride; i quickly blinded him with my 1200-lumen cheap chinese amazon light on my helmet.

more recently, two guys tried to sneak up on me in the marin headlands while i was taking a break. i blinded them, too. (by then, i had purchased an even brighter cheap chinese amazon light with TWO beams)

in a bit more than twenty five years of night riding, those are the only "people" issues i've experienced. it's a bit difficult to accost people when they're shining a bright assed light in your face...

Magically Delicious

My sphere of light

Interesting as it might seem, some of my faster rides have been at night. Counterintuitive might better describe the thought.

There are some prerequisites that must be satisfied first to do this...lot's of light. You need to have enough light that you can't out ride it. If you've ever felt that your speed was limited by your light output, then you most likely understand my statement.

While I still do not know how to explain this 'faster at night' phenomenon, I can only hypothesize that it comes from a focus that can only be achieved by minimizing your mental and emotional distractions. By this, I mean that the faster we ride, whether day or night, our focus or concentration becomes more centered on what lies before us and less on what surrounds us. We must start to subconsciously begin Ďtuning outí more peripheral distractions the faster we travel.

At night, our world extends only to edges of our projected light. I think of it as my sphere of light. That sphere is my only reality. Whatever lies beyond it and canít be seen, doesnít exist. So, I find (or choose to believe) that my concentration becomes less distracted by what I canít see and the result is a laser sharp focus only within my reality. Less distractions, more focus, more speed. It's almost a Zen like thing. I'm not the only one that has experienced this. There are others. They exist.

I know, some will say itís crazy to do this, but my only saving grace it that I only do this with trails Iím familiar with and have night ridden on many occasions. But on those occasions, when the mood is right I can blaze like the lightÖwithin my own reality.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

the half breed devil
    what cleared2land sez, with emphasis on riding familiar trails.

i'm not very good at unknown trails at night.

Magically Delicious
    I enjoy night rides on blind or previously un-ridden trails. But speed will NOT be a component of those rides.

Shadows play enough tricks on familiar trails, blind night rides can be a real thrill as long as you keep things in check.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Interesting as it might seem, some of my faster rides have been at night. Counterintuitive might better describe the thought.

There are some prerequisites that must be satisfied first to do this...lot's of light. You need to have enough light that you can't out ride it. If you've ever felt that your speed was limited by your light output, then you most likely understand my statement.

While I still do not know how to explain this 'faster at night' phenomenon, I can only hypothesize that it comes from a focus that can only be achieved by minimizing your mental and emotional distractions. By this, I mean that the faster we ride, whether day or night, our focus or concentration becomes more centered on what lies before us and less on what surrounds us. We must start to subconsciously begin Ďtuning outí more peripheral distractions the faster we travel.

At night, our world extends only to edges of our projected light. I think of it as my sphere of light. That sphere is my only reality. Whatever lies beyond it and canít be seen, doesnít exist. So, I find (or choose to believe) that my concentration becomes less distracted by what I canít see and the result is a laser sharp focus only within my reality. Less distractions, more focus, more speed. It's almost a Zen like thing. I'm not the only one that has experienced this. There are others. They exist.

I know, some will say itís crazy to do this, but my only saving grace it that I only do this with trails Iím familiar with and have night ridden on many occasions. But on those occasions, when the mood is right I can blaze like the lightÖwithin my own reality.
    That's deep, actually.

I get the rare chance to night ride, but on my 3rd or 4th night ride, we did a trail backwards of what I had done before and I did well on it, not sure I could have done it during the day that easily.

I think that post maybe the reason, or that I have some wine in me.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nothing that a good set of bike lights couldnít fix.
    Ed Zachary. Like I said, I've probably ridden more in the dark than in the light of the past ~30 years, or at least 50/50.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12