Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    why can't you guys wear snake chaps? it should be snake bite proof right?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Road riding at night? I'm not too sure about that, its bad enough during the day!
    With good lights, I find that cars give me MORE space than they give during daylight hours.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    why can't you guys wear snake chaps? it should be snake bite proof right?
    let me guess - you've never worn snake chaps, or snake boots, or anything of the sort.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    With good lights, I find that cars give me MORE space than they give during daylight hours.
    I just got a NR Lumina 900 for Friday's night rides, it should be a huge improvement from my 450. This ride is a loop around the neighborhood but we do hit some pavement. I have to wait one more week, as I finish evening hours this Friday.

That 900 will also be a nice complement to my RAKC helmet light, for the real trail rides.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Is it too late to bring back the rattlesnake discussion?

Here’s one I recently saw a couple of weeks ago. He was a baby Prairie Rattler in Northern Colorado. Hard to tell in the footage but he was barely a foot long, if that, and only as thick as a cigar. The temperature that day was 68° but two days prior there was snow on the ground and in the 20°’s. The drastic temp changes around here play havoc with them going in and out of hibernation. I scooted him off the trail but didn’t expect him to be so active as he was coming off snow two days prior.

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Stand-up philosopher
    Have US parks becoming hot spots for criminals?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I can't speak for everywhere, but around Nashville dudes park looking for sexual favors. They've done numerous undercover stings to calm it down. We've even had some trails that have 2 trailheads have to close the more secluded trailhead to discourage it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I just don't care for it much. I'll do it if it is the only way I am riding, but I am never totally comfortable going fast at night.

The other reason is that during the warmer months, there is plenty of daylight, and there is no reason to ride at night, unless I feel like waiting until really late to go riding. And during the winter months, its too freaking cold at night. I'd rather go in the day.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Are there really so many homeless camps that anywhere you want to ride you have to go through them? And why would this only an be issue at night?

Personally, I've stopped for a trailside beer 'n' smoke with local denizens staying "down by the river" quite a few times back when I lived in the city. Never had any issues.
    I dunno, we don't have 'urban' trail systems where I live. There are some down the road though and my guess is a few of them have an area that is known to be at least a hang-out, if not a camp.

In the daytime you are on equal footing - they see you when you see them most likely and you're faster, at night they see you a long ways away due to lights and you may never see them if they don't have lights. All hypothetical since I don't have to deal with this, but it would worry me I think.

I definitely would not be stopping to hang out with them. These days they're all just smoking spice anyway.

mtbr member
    Have US parks becoming hot spots for criminals?

Not only US parks, but also county and town parks. The robbery, harassment and general tomfoolery is on the hizzy.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Not only US parks, but also county and town parks. The robbery, harassment and general tomfoolery is on the hizzy.
    On the hizzy or off the hizzy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Shit. The US has higher crime rate than Canada. We don't have these issues in small towns or in big parks

Bikesexual
    I live in a fairly safe city, but I see trash, grocery carts, and dirty clothes from homeless along the horse trails.

The other morning while riding, I approched something that smelled like weed, sure enough a homeless guy was burning it out of a beer can. I think my cowbell scared the crap out of him lol.

You just never know how these guys will react.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Snow Dog
    Shit. The US has higher crime rate than Canada. We don't have these issues in small towns or in big parks

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I live in a fairly safe city, but I see trash, grocery carts, and dirty clothes from homeless along the horse trails.

The other morning while riding, I approched something that smelled like weed, sure enough a homeless guy was burning it out of a beer can. I think my cowbell scared the crap out of him lol.

You just never know how these guys will react.
    here in central Ohio, creepers in parks has been a thing since the 70's....teens doing drugs and stuff; weirdos masturbating or exposing themselves in their car or on the trails; assaults are not common, but do occur, as well as kidnappings. In certain parts of the city, there is also some rashes of body dumping. especially recently.

there are some known places for homeless camps, and gang hangouts, and they are pretty easy to avoid, but there are also hidden outposts that you can't see until you are right on them...always indicated by the trash remnants laying around.

and the US crime rate is definitely higher because we don't punish criminals...we coddle, encourage and even glorify criminal behavior in our culture and it has gotten worse in the past 20 years, at least it seems to me. (That might be the "Old Man" syndrome kicking in)
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    body dumping
    While very rare, this happens from time to time where I ride. It's probably my biggest fear that I consider legitimate when I ride at night. I'd have to be incredibly unlucky for it to happen, but I would not want to roll up on a group digging a hole by myself.

"Didn't see a thing fellas, have a good night."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    and the US crime rate is definitely higher because we don't punish criminals...we coddle, encourage and even glorify criminal behavior in our culture and it has gotten worse in the past 20 years, at least it seems to me. (That might be the "Old Man" syndrome kicking in)
    US crime rate is at or around it's lowest in recorded history AFAIK.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Formerly of Kent
    here in central Ohio, creepers in parks has been a thing since the 70's....teens doing drugs and stuff; weirdos masturbating or exposing themselves in their car or on the trails; assaults are not common, but do occur, as well as kidnappings. In certain parts of the city, there is also some rashes of body dumping. especially recently.

there are some known places for homeless camps, and gang hangouts, and they are pretty easy to avoid, but there are also hidden outposts that you can't see until you are right on them...always indicated by the trash remnants laying around.

And this is not at all reflected by reality.

Not only is the crime rate lower than ever, but our incarcerated population is higher than any other country in the world.

Now, we DO punish people for silly shit, like holding a couple grams of weed. And we don’t punish people for killing people, like the many cyclists killed by drivers each year. So, yeah, we’ve really got our priorities in order there./s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I thought we were talking about night riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I thought we were talking about night riding?
    Yes. You guys are scare to ride at night

Formerly of Kent
    Yes. You guys are scare to ride at night

There is nothing that you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    Only if your lights suck and/or you are extremely fearful.

Only if your lights suck.

Only if your lights suck and/or you are extremely fearful.
    We used to ride 40mph with a 10W Vista Light (actually, I had a 5W and a 10W). One of my best crashes EVAR! Minor scrapes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Hey, we're out here. Been riding with a group at least one night ride a week (summer months excluded) since the mid 90s. I own lots of old lighting systems.

No bear or cat issues for me. But I do see occasional owls and lots of spider eyes/green glints. Forgot, I've been harrased by European Hornets twice.
    Those European hornets are bastards. Not only do they attack for no reason, but they are flying around in the dark! MFers! I got hit twice in 3 weeks (on completely different parts of the same trail system, moving at ~10mph), and the 2nd one caused a reaction: itchy, tingling, numbness... it was freaky.

This morning, 5:45am, with 102% leaf cover (pretty much my favorite conditions):
    few people ride at night?-20181114_054527%5B1%5D.jpg

This has a pretty scary effect when you don't know that it's only a deer.
    few people ride at night?-eyes2.jpg

This past August:
    Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  12.6 KB

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Fleas wins again
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post

This past August:
    Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  12.6 KB

-F
    Lol...that's great!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12