Fender Material - Raw Stock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fender (Mudguard) Material - Raw Stock

Aloha,

I was looking over time to try and find some raw stock to make my own fenders. Any ideas? Looked through local craft stores, Wal-Mart and even did some searching in Amazon. Ideas?

Thanks,
    g
    Last edited by gmats; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've used plastic school folders. Got the idea from this site. They come in a buncha colors to match bike if that's your thing

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I was just wondering the same thing. I made a fender for my son's 20" FS out of a box of croissants but you know... it's good for a couple rides.

Not sure what the folders are made of, but if it doesn't throw off awful gasses when burned you can laser cut.

Land of the 230+
    You can buy them off ebay or aliexpress for under a buck if you can wait a month for them to arrive. That said, A buddy of mine had half a 2L soda bottle wedged in his front fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use shelf liner from local hardware or housewares store, the kind made for lining wire shelves. A little thicker than most folders and bigger sheets. No fancy colors tho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I friend used a bisected portion of PVC. He basically sculpted it and mounted it in the bottom portion of the steerer with a star-fangled. He had a section in front of the fork and another for behind. He made a bracket from a strip of metal bought from Lowes to connect the two.

He also used an old license plate once that he sculpted in the same manner (using a similar bracket). The only trouble was that a license plates is reflective. It became a problem when night riding. The handlebar light reflected off the front part of the fender.

Im using an old Dirt Diggler fender with a homemade bracket (the original bracket broke).

I think its extremely important to have a section of fender protruding fairly far over the back AND front of the wheel.

Edit: If you chose to buy, Mudhugger makes a great rear fender. Im not a big fan of their fronts (too close to the tire). But I hear the fronts work too.

mtbr member
    Dollar Tree thin plastic cutting boards(sheets) 2 for $1. I've made my own and used them for all last season.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Dollar Tree thin plastic cutting boards(sheets) 2 for $1. I've made my own and used them for all last season.
    I've looked and looked at all those kitchen supply kind of places. Ross stores, Wal-mart, Target on and on and on.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    A good substitute for the cutting boards is a cheap three-ring binder. Wal-Mart sells these in the office supplies for under a dollar. You want the ones that are just plastic (no cardboard in the center). You can get a fender out of the front and the back; it cuts easily and you can use a hole punch to cut holes for zip ties.

mtbr member
    Look for a plastics supply store like TAP plastics and buy cross linked polyethylene sheet. They will rough cut it and charge only for what you buy. Cross linked polyethylene is very tough and will last for a long time.

Or, you can do as I did this year, and buy a blackburn front fender.

For the rear fender, it's hard to beat commercial fenders that use a quick release to attach to the seatpost.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

WillWorkForTrail
    Back in the day we used to use 1 litre and 2 litre bottles. You should be able to go to a bigboxmart (walmart, tesco, target) and get a flexible plastic cutting board that will work really well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I used an old plastic trash can and a template from GMBN.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Light freak
    Okay I will turn you guys on to the hot ticket - Easy Bagger! Nice and thick and comes preformed, use it to your advantage

Fender Material - Raw Stock-00016104005001.jpg

mtbr member
    ^^^ those things are the sh*t for bagging lawn and garden clippings/leaves etc...
    What, me worry?

Duck Fonald
    I've been buying lunch meat for sammies lately and it's been packaged with these thin plastic sheets. Dunno if they're big enough, but they might work as a small front fender.

Fender Material - Raw Stock-20200108_083435.jpg
    The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

George Orwell

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I've been buying lunch meat for sammies lately and it's been packaged with these thin plastic sheets. Dunno if they're big enough, but they might work as a small front fender.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200108_083435.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	1304097
    Hey, this isn't bad. With 4 holes drilled, it zipties and conforms to the brace nicely. If you don't like the shape you could cut it, and if you don't like the color, spray paint?

Fender Material - Raw Stock-20200108_084740.jpg
    The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hey, this isn't bad. With 4 holes drilled, it zipties and conforms to the brace nicely. If you don't like the shape you could cut it, and if you don't like the color, spray paint?

Name:	20200108_084740.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	1304107
    Spray paint won't stick to something that flexes. Plastic spray paint is a bit better but not much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Spray paint won't stick to something that flexes. Plastic spray paint is a bit better but not much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Spray it with mud, then.

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Ive thought a plastic snow sled kids use to slide on would be great. We called em crazy carpets when i was young.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Name:	20200108_084740.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	1304107
    I've found those type of fender work well fairly keeping water and mud away from the stanchions (I call them stanchion fenders), but they don't do a good job keeping forward spray from hitting my face on wet, faster downhills.

The best front fenders are similar to off-road motorcycle fenders. Unfortunately, the market is fairly thin. Most that are available, are pretty flimsy. THEs and Dirt Digglers were pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    I've found those type of fender work well fairly keeping water and mud away from the stanchions (I call them stanchion fenders), but they don't do a good job keeping forward spray from hitting my face on wet, faster downhills.

The best front fenders are similar to off-road motorcycle fenders. Unfortunately, the market is fairly thin. Most that are available, are pretty flimsy. THEs and Dirt Digglers were pretty good.
    Exactly. Why I was looking for raw material that I could go and build my own of my own design.

That Easy Bagger has potential. I will go and look at it and see if it is too thick or too thin or the Goldilocks of materials.

mtbr member
    Where are you from? perhaps I could get you some of the cutting boards and send them via USPS
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Where are you from? perhaps I could get you some of the cutting boards and send them via USPS
    Aloha Jeff. Thanks so much. Just now seeing this. I live in Hawaii. I have looked at the cutting boards etc. Have not seen one I want as they're typically white. Living on one of the outer islands it can get tough sometimes.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Aloha Jeff. Thanks so much. Just now seeing this. I live in Hawaii. I have looked at the cutting boards etc. Have not seen one I want as they're typically white. Living on one of the outer islands it can get tough sometimes.
    IKEA has them. Or get a DVO fork, they come with a sano guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk