Favorite frame clear tape/protection?- Mtbr.com
    I ride bikes

Favorite frame clear tape/protection?

My carbon frame already has some pretty serious downtube protection and drive side chainstay protection as seen in pictures. But I think I would like to get a little more protection the non driveside as well as seat stays.

Any suggestions?

Duck Fonald
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

since 4/10/2009
    I got a roll of something I found at the auto parts store. Underneath my downtube, I've even got a piece of thick clear vinyl tubing that I split and zip tied on, because my frame came with exactly zero downtube protection. I have clear tape underneath it, and extending further up the DT than the tubing covers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been going with Crankskins for years. Great outfit.

∞~∞~∞~∞~∞
    Rick~
    16' Superfly 9.6
    Tucson, Az.

mtbr member
    Invisiframe ftw

Wanna ride bikes?
    +1 Crankskins. good product, good company. they make the right stuff for the job.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Merendon Junkie
    I have been using "helicopter tape" for about 3 years now. Still have about half of the roll left. I have used it on 5 bikes. Very tough stuff.

Amazon.com: ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 1 in. x 30 ft. (Transparent): Automotive

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I stopped at the clear bra place for autos and got some trash peices from them. Custom cut them to my liking, don't even know they are there. and Free

Rent this space for $
    3M 8 mil vinyl. You can get it in many different widths and lengths on ebaY. Been using it for years. Soapy water sprayed on allows you to slide it around in place. Activates the adhesive when sprayed with alcohol/water mix. All the clear adhesive stick-ons I have used eventually yellow and begin to peel. 3M will not. Requires a heat gun to get it off and comes of clean. Just did a bunch of potential wear areas on my new SJ carbon frame. It looks cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I've been going with Crankskins for years. Great outfit.
    I would have to agree with you. The stuff takes a beating.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I just bought a roll on eBay for under $6. Its made to protect the door handle recess and door sills on cars.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I just ride it hard with what came on it (Trek Fuel EX8) which is some decent guarding. If I manage to destroy that, I will use it as grounds with the wife to buy a new rig!

"Well you know hun, safety is the #1 concern here, I think I should really just get a whole new bike."

Just like that, new bike. Wife approved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    My carbon frame already has some pretty serious downtube protection and drive side chainstay protection as seen in pictures. But I think I would like to get a little more protection the non driveside as well as seat stays.

Any suggestions?
    I use helicopter tape from Amazon

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Used innertube on the drive side chain stay. Black is the new clear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Has anyone found protective tape for matte frames that they like? I found lamin-x and Rhino tape online. Any opinions?

Magically Delicious
    InvisiFrame works great and comes pre-cut. The down side to InvisiFrame is the cost.

Personally, I buy helicopter tape by the roll. Amazon has Racer's Tape and the actual 3M products available. 3M is a little pricier. Several thicknesses are available and while it's not inexpensive, it will do many frames. The down side is having to cut your own pieces to fit. There's a little learning curve to that, but you'll get the feel pretty quickly. I prefer the 8 mil tape for those areas with multiple or compound curves and the 12 or 14 mil for downtubes and areas subject to more abrasion and potential damage.

I have seen others with the matte tape, but I'm not sure of the origin.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone tried window insulation tape? does it stick to the frame? Its pretty cheap. My bike has a glossy clear coat and it gets scratched from the stupidest things like shoes grazing the top tube as I get on/off it. I would like to protect the frame from surface scratches and helicopter tape is way too expensive. Just something as thick as a phone screen protector would be fine.

Rent this space for $
    I've been using the 3m Scotchguard 8 mil for years and just finished practically coating my brand new Karate Monkey frame the other night. It's certainly much easier to do as a bare and new frame. I don't mind cutting the unique shapes at all. It assures good coverage where you really need it. On this latest KM project, I used a new 3m "pro" version which is a self healing variety and is purported to have a better gloss finish.

Favorite frame clear tape/protection?-20161215_181346.jpg

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    Anyone tried window insulation tape? does it stick to the frame? Its pretty cheap.
    Insulation tape? I'm not sure what this is, or what you are referring to.

Helicopter tape is a polyurethane vinyl tape that you can press your finger nail into. It helps absorb the impact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Matte specific

I have some of the 3m tape and it works well. But as my frame is matte and the matte tape is harder to find, I was wondering what peoples expereicences were with some the matt options like, Rhino tape and lamin-x.

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    InvisiFrame works great and comes pre-cut. The down side to InvisiFrame is the cost.

Personally, I buy helicopter tape by the roll. Amazon has Racer's Tape and the actual 3M products available. 3M is a little pricier. Several thicknesses are available and while it's not inexpensive, it will do many frames. The down side is having to cut your own pieces to fit. There's a little learning curve to that, but you'll get the feel pretty quickly. I prefer the 8 mil tape for those areas with multiple or compound curves and the 12 or 14 mil for downtubes and areas subject to more abrasion and potential damage.

I have seen others with the matte tape, but I'm not sure of the origin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Insulation tape? I'm not sure what this is, or what you are referring to.

Helicopter tape is a polyurethane vinyl tape that you can press your finger nail into. It helps absorb the impact.
    its polyethylene tape that looks like helicopter tape but a fraction of the cost https://www.amazon.com/MD-04630-100-...W7J37XM0ZXV1VA

Magically Delicious
    Ok, I know exactly what this is. It's polyethylene, not polyurethane tape. It's more like heavy duty packaging tape. It might help with scratches, but it will not offer the same level of rock protection that a much thicker, more resilient helicopter type of tape will.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Another vote for ISC Racer tape. I also looked into the pre-made offerings from Frameskin and Invisiframe but just couldn't warrant the cost.

I initially started using ISC Racer tape on my '08 Mojo back when no one was using this stuff or at least when it wasn't as popular. One of the managers at ISC (or he may even be the owner) contacted me because they didn't know bikers were using this stuff. He even took at ads in Mountain Bike Action to draw more users...whole new market for them.

In any event, the prefab kits are going to be less of a headache to apply but if you don't mind the labor involved...maybe you're into crafts like that or if you don't care to have an exact fit (i'm in this camp) then go with the rolls...

tm3
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    These various protective coverings can be removed without damage to the paint or carbon, correct?

Rent this space for $
    Correct. Low heat carefully distributed from a heat gun or a hair dryer will aid in peeling them off in one piece.

Magically Delicious
    I agree that a low would prolly facilitate and make removal easier, but I have removed it without the use of heat easy enough. Remember that these films/tapes are originally designed for application to painted surfaces and they are designed to be removed without damage to those surfaces they are being applied to.

I have used a hair drier and hot water for application where the film/tape was being applied to a series of complex/compound curves.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Has anyone tried the SHELTER tape? Same or different than 3M tape?

Magically Delicious
    I'm not sure what exactly what Shelter tape actually is, but I think it's a very thick type of Polyurethane tape, but I don't think it's actually polyurethane. It sounds like good stuff from what I've heard about it. I've seen it online and on Jenson USA. Not inexpensive either.

Always in the wrong gear
    Timely thread revival! I just bought a 6"x48" roll of 8mil 3M vinyl to protect my my new JabberWocky.
    I'll admit, I've been staring down the roll for about a week now and I'm still not sure I know how to tackle the installation without messing it up.

Magically Delicious
    Here's a start...

Take blue painters tape or some other type of easy peel painters tape and fit and trim it to go where you want the protection tape to go.

Peel off of your bike once trimmed to fit where you want it to go on the bike.

Use this as a template to cut the protection tape and apply.

Magically Delicious
    I don't usually take this extra step as described above, but some find that it makes it easier. I just hold the film up and make a rough cut and trim it to fit. After a short while, you'll get the hang of it.

When you use this process as a template, just make sure you place it on the correct side of the tape that you're cutting or you might end up with a reverse image of what you want

Always in the wrong gear
    None of the pieces on a steel-tubed hardtail, are complex enough to need templates. I'm more concerned I'll get the tape wrinkled and crooked and it'll look like crap on my brand new bike.

Magically Delicious
    Follow the directions of application. Wet is your friend.

Rent this space for $
    Yeah, your first step is with soapy water sprayed heavily on the decal and the bike allowing you to slide the decal around exactly as you want it. Just keep spraying if you can't get it just right. I use a few drips of Johnson Baby Shampoo because it's highly recommended and leaves no residue. Then comes the 25% alcohol/water spray to activate it. Do one half first and get it stuck, then the next half. Eazy-peazy. Squeegy the bajeezus out of it.

mtbr member
    This
    XPEL Protective Films - XPEL

One of the best automotive tapes. Easy to apply, comes in clear and matte, a few thickness options, does not yellow.

I did 5 bikes with it, 4 clear one matte. No one can tell unless you show them where it is. My city bike is alway leaning on and tied to parking meters, tree, fences, you name it. Paint looks new after many years.

Crank skins is thicker but harder to use. Heavier if you intend to cover most of the frame. It also yellows after a few fears, but that only matters on white frames.

xpel also has application gel which I highly recommend over soapy water. It does not foam so you have almost no bubbles to remove. Cuts down a lot of manual work. If you ever seen videos on pros covering cars so quickly it is because they use good gel and squidgies (and because they are pros )

tm3
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great thread, thanks to everyone for contributing

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Me too. Been using Crankskins since they started with their crazy bling stuff I found on ebay!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    What about Grips? Looking for something softer that won't get destroyed from sunscreen and sweat!

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^^ CODE RED

Thread hijacking attempt in progress.

I like Oury grips

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    ^^^^^ CODE RED

Thread hijacking attempt in progress.

I like Oury grips
    Thanks! They look a lot like the Race Face ones I had. I actually like the Ergons I'm using now-- I like the little "shelf" I can rest my hands out flat on. But, all of the rubber (which makes them soft) tends to break down from sunscreen.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    This
    XPEL Protective Films - XPEL

One of the best automotive tapes. Easy to apply, comes in clear and matte, a few thickness options, does not yellow.

I did 5 bikes with it, 4 clear one matte. No one can tell unless you show them where it is. My city bike is alway leaning on and tied to parking meters, tree, fences, you name it. Paint looks new after many years.

Crank skins is thicker but harder to use. Heavier if you intend to cover most of the frame. It also yellows after a few fears, but that only matters on white frames.

xpel also has application gel which I highly recommend over soapy water. It does not foam so you have almost no bubbles to remove. Cuts down a lot of manual work. If you ever seen videos on pros covering cars so quickly it is because they use good gel and squidgies (and because they are pros )
    I have two bikes to cover. Which specific XPEL film did you use?

Magically Delicious
    I would likely be using the XPEL Ultimate. A good, all around protective film.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I would likely be using the XPEL Ultimate. A good, all around protective film.
    Great! Now I just need to figure out how to order it without buying a complete car kit.

How much did you need for each frame?

Magically Delicious
    You could consider a roll of helicopter tape. The thinner helicopter tapes are 8 mils and the XPEL Ultimate is slightly thinner at 6 mils.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O65W9Y...ing=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    I have two bikes to cover. Which specific XPEL film did you use?
    Extreme and Ultimate, and also the matt a few years ago.

You can buy it by length, they cut the strips to order (by feet) and they have strips in almost any width.

This makes it one of the cheapest around, because you get what you need. The strips are great for tubes, perfect for a bike.

I recommend getting like 30% more length than you think you actually need. It's cheap.

About 6 vs 8 mil, depends on how much you intend to use. If you do a whole bike (all the tubes) it can be half a pound.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Great info, thank you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Great! Now I just need to figure out how to order it without buying a complete car kit.

How much did you need for each frame?
    No car kit, buy strips cut to length:
    XPEL bulk strips

Measure the length of the tubes to be covered, measure how wide you need with a piece of paper wrapped around each tube (or measure tape) and take 30% spare in each direction.

Normally seatstays and chainstays are 2.5-3" for carbon FS and less for hardtails.
    Bottom tube around 4-5"
    Top tube around 3-4"
    Seat tube 3"
    Head tube 5"+

This is just a rough guestimate, every frame is different. Carbon frames need wider strips than aluminum.
    Don't worry about getting too much, you will use it on the next bike and it's cheap in bulk anyways.

Last bike I got (Extreme):
    2" X 5 feet
    6" X 8 feet
    Large Specialized Enduro 29 Carbon, that's as big as they get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the XPEL info. I already bought, received and applied my Crankskins! Yup, they do have some crazy thick stuff-- but I don't ride in any extreme conditions-- had an accident a few years ago and have been avoiding the crazy stuff ever since. I went with the Crankskins 8m kit. I still have some little frame patch pieces on my bike (they gave me years ago with my order) and they still look new!.. so does my bike-- which I am selling the frame to upgrade, finally!! LOVE that new bike smell!

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ Are you coming out?

Are you into sniffing bikes? They might have a group for that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Digging up an old thread just to express my feelings regarding the price of "ISC Helicopter-OG Surface Guard Tape (8 mil Outdoor Grade): 2 in. x 30 ft." in Europe ! (I'm from Belgium). First of all it's sold only on amazon.co.uk and secondly, for the exact same product and length: 62 dollars !! (delivery included). What a shame. Can't even talk about 3M product as it is not sold at all.

Magically Delicious
    That's a bit pricey. I have used both the 3M and the ISC tape and I can't tell the difference. That 30" roll will do several bikes easily, prolly three of them completely.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks for the XPEL suggestion, I think I'll giving them a shot for my next bike. Probably going to use the Armor for downtube & chainstay, then Ultimate Plus for the rest.

Nobody
    I would not bother with automotive vinyl films. I purchased some of this to protect the frame from abrasion of cable housings and the tailgate pad on my truck. While it seems to hold up ok for cable housings, one trip on the tailgate pad and it sawed right through the vinyl film.

I'm now using UHMW tape which has a higher abrasion rating than steel.

Gonna have to take a look at this helicopter tape. Is it polyethylene? UHMW is ultra high molecular weight polyethylene. I've used it for many industrial manufacturing applications. Good stuff
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

Magically Delicious
    UHMW tape?

I don't see this stuff has having the same properties as 'helicopter tape'. I have used UHMW tape in the aerospace industry primarily in areas that required non-stick low friction surface similar to PTFE (Teflon) but with much higher abrasion resistance than PTFE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    I would not bother with automotive vinyl films.
    I don't think anyone suggests vinyl. Most clear films are made of polyurethane or other polymers. They come in different thicknesses and qualities. You can get the thicker tapes and pay in added weight. Like I said above a complete wrap was about half a pound, so it's definitely a consideration.

I have a city bike that is 10 years old, the frame is always leaned on metal sign posts, parking meters, trees, whatever I can lock it to. the tape has some wear, but still intact. the paint underneath is still good. The only way I damaged tapes on a bike is a hard crash, and even then you have to hit something directly. Hard plastic knee pads don't bother the tape much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Has anyone tried a matt tape over a bike with a gloss finish? I'm purchasing one of those high gloss black bikes and just don't necessarily like the gloss finish. One of the whole bike custom cut (expensive) finishes might just solve the problem. Would this look wonky?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenbikerman View Post
    Has anyone tried a matt tape over a bike with a gloss finish? I'm purchasing one of those high gloss black bikes and just don't necessarily like the gloss finish. One of the whole bike custom cut (expensive) finishes might just solve the problem. Would this look wonky?
    It would look like a shiny frame with a matte protection kit on it.

If you don't like the look of your frame, change it. Have it painted or even lightly sand it to dull the shine. Just understand you will lower its value by doing so, but there's value in making it your own and enjoying/appreciating your bike.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenbikerman View Post
    I suspect this may backfire. Among other things, it may end up showing the film edges and amplifying the 5-10% of the frame that the film does not cover.

Go on Ride Wrap’s site. See if they have a “tailored kit” for your bike. Then call or email Callum at Ride Wrap and ask him for his opinion. He’s a great guy with arguably the best product out there right now. If nothing else, he will give you straight advice.

PS - I applied a matte tailored kit to my Druid, and a gloss tailored kit to my Honzo. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks for your thoughts. I will contact Callum at RideWrap and get his opinion. They were one of the only two companies that I know that are doing die cut or "tailored Kits" for the bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Hi, I'm also looking for matte protection tape for my matte black bike.

XPEL shipping would cost me a lot as I'm in Belgium. Regarding Rhino Tape (ebay; amazon (+reviews)), I read very mixed reviews.

Is there a matte protection tape that is actually good in terms of thickness (especially for downtube stone protection), matte look, installation, durability and optionally removal (if required at all) and can easily be purchased in Europe?

Rider
    Just get this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cut to fit.

It's .008" thick. If you want more thickness, put on more layers.

No tape is going to look great on a matte frame. Just the way it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wo86 View Post
    Is there a matte protection tape that is actually good in terms of thickness (especially for downtube stone protection), matte look, installation, durability and optionally removal (if required at all) and can easily be purchased in Europe?
    Shelter Tape ® for the downtube. It's extra thick and self healing. Not sure if it's considered matte, but it does its job very well, which is more important.

I used 3M vehicle film on the rest of my bike. Total pain in the ass, and time consuming, if you make templates to get clean look with full coverage. Next time I would just order a precut frame kit, like Invisaframe.

I think it ended up costing me almost the same amount of money, but a hell of a lot more time. I spent hours every day for more than a week, making templates with painters tape, transferring that to construction paper, then cutting out the film, then applying the film. It looks great, but what a pain.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Shelter Tape ® for the downtube. It's extra thick and self healing. Not sure if it's considered matte, but it does its job very well, which is more important.

I used 3M vehicle film on the rest of my bike. Total pain in the ass, and time consuming, if you make templates to get clean look with full coverage. Next time I would just order a precut frame kit, like Invisaframe.

I think it ended up costing me almost the same amount of money, but a hell of a lot more time. I spent hours every day for more than a week, making templates with painters tape, transferring that to construction paper, then cutting out the film, then applying the film. It looks great, but what a pain.
    Yep, I’m in this same dilemma, not looking forward to a do it yourself cut to fit. I called about a kit from Ride Wrap and they don’t make one for my model bike yet. I didn’t know about invisaframe, I’ll be checking with them tomorrow for a kit.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member

Same here. After doing many bikes over the years DIY to perfection, on my last bike I gave up and got Ride Wrap kit. Its $100 compared to around $30 DIY, but the huge amount of time saved makes it a no brainer IMO, even if you price your time in minimum wage.

Rider

I cut to fit and it's not a problem. Just keep it wet while cutting it and you can make it however you want. I eyeball a section, cut it roughly, then stick it on. If there's some extra, I cut it off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    I cut to fit and it's not a problem. Just keep it wet while cutting it and you can make it however you want. I eyeball a section, cut it roughly, then stick it on. If there's some extra, I cut it off.
    Yeah... I bet mine looks tighter. I went 110% OCD on it, once I committed to making templates. There's barely a spec of paint on the entire bike that's not perfectly covered in wrap, and you have to look really close to see a seam. It's got more coverage than the pre cut stuff you order. I also have the templates if I ever need to replace a section, but I would never do it like that again. ever.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I just ordered a kit through Invisaframe. Take the hassle out of cutting it myself. Pricey but worth it if it avoids a headache.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.