Favorite Bike Locks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Favorite Bike Locks

Looking for recommendations for locks for our families bikes. I'll most likely have some sort of cable while they are in transit in the truck but what about when we happen to be riding? Our bikes are: Fuel EX7, Roscoe 8, kids 24" Trek mtb and a 20" kids Trek single speed. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    2013 Trek EX8 blue/white

Professional Crastinator
    We DON'T lock the bikes while in transit. I've seen some nasty wear marks and abrasion happen from that. However, if unattended, I have a cable just to throw through the frames.
    If we are riding to a location where we will leave the bikes and do another activity, I bring the cable and a lock. It's heavy, but it's easy to lock up a bunch of bikes at the same time. We don't leave them in high crime areas, though.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Before you buy a bike lock, or even a padlock, I urge you head on over to YouTube and check out the Lock Picking Lawyer. I'm astounded at how bad some of the most ubiquitous locks truly are. Looking at you, Master Lock!

I know we can all agree locks are for honest people, but there are some locks that don't even require skill to open. At least do your best to avoid those!
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    For locking while on rides, like though town and making stops for lunch, etc., we use OnGuard's cables. They have a coiled cable (maybe more) that comes with hardware that let's you clamp the coil to your bike while riding (like their Doberman #8032). If we're riding with backpacks, we'll pack and use uncoiled OnGuard cable locks instead. But, we only carry cables if we know we're making a stop and the bikes will be unattended. Otherwise, they're to heavy just to have them for no need.

A consideration... if you go with cable locks... consider those with a combination lock versus a key. One less loose thing to keep track of.

By the way, I just happen to use OnGuards because one day long ago I bought one, and just kept buying the same brand for consistency. It's on OCD thing. Good cables though.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Nutrailer
    An Abus 1010 140cm chain, as it's long enough to reach around the frame of 2 bikes and a post, isn't too heavy or bulky (YMMV) and in the UK at least is certified to a standard (Safe Secure Gold) that insurance companies insist on. I'll sometimes add add a cable lock if we're stopping in a town as my wife's bike has QR wheels to stop any quick opportunist wheel thieves.
    What a perfect waste of time

U sayin' Bolt ?
    If I am not in a high crime area, there are usually some secluded bushes to stash my bike in. If I am in the city etc, my bike comes with me, and if I cannot wheel my bike around on its rear wheel in your establishment, then I won't do business there. When I was commuting, I left a U-bolt for my beater at the police station by the train. It worked well.

As far as lock brands and locking multiple bikes, I recommend focusing first on location. Out of sight, out of mind. Otherwise, a light cable will stop the opportunist, and if you feel like real theft is an issue, without a doubt ride a beater and use something that can withstand backpack size boltcutters.

jcd's best friend
    I use an OnGuard Mastiff chain and lock to secure my bike to my truck when it's racked. I only use my chain when I do have to leave my bike alone for a moment.

Mastiff #8019L — OnGuard Locks

The chain I use is too heavy to carry around and lock up your stuff when out and about.
    Are you looking to lock your bikes up on the trail or riding through the city?
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I use an OnGuard Mastiff chain and lock to secure my bike to my truck when it's racked. I only use my chain when I do have to leave my bike alone for a moment.

Mastiff #8019L — OnGuard Locks

The chain I use is too heavy to carry around and lock up your stuff when out and about.
    Are you looking to lock your bikes up on the trail or riding through the city?
    When we are in a city, on the trails the bikes don't leave our sights. Heading to Santa Cruz in a couple of weeks and will be riding all over and want to be able to lock up around town.

2013 Trek EX8 blue/white

mtbr member
    I use an insanely heavy hardened chain that I bought at the local industrial hardware. I've put it into some 4" blue flat irrigation hose we had in the barn. I use two heavy padlocks and lock one end around the rear tire and triangle and put the other end through the front wheel. It is then locked under the truck to the trailer hitch mount.

When I'm traveling far, I warp dish towels around the chain and hose to further protect the bike. Note that I put the chain through the lowest point of my wheels between spokes. When traveling, I also put a 1/2" dia hardened cable through the wheels and the frame and lock to the trailer hitch. I've never had a problem with bike damage.

Note also that a bold thief with a cordless angle grinder can cut the best lock in 20 - 30 seconds. Having multiple locks to cut will deter some thieves, but there is no sure way to protect a bike on the back of a vehicle. One of the best features of the sprinter van conversions is the ability to have a bike garage inside the vehicle.

Many (MANY) years ago in grad school in Cambridge mass, I was doing research at the MIT library. As I came out, a guy charged a man stealing his bicycle and got into a shoving match. About six other guys joined him and that bike thief was not going to be bike stealing until his broken fingers healed. He had a long raincoat on and a big pair of bolt cutters hanging in front from a strap around his neck. Needless to say, he was not going to steal anymore bikes until he bought a new bolt cutter!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyetattoo View Post
    When we are in a city, on the trails the bikes don't leave our sights. Heading to Santa Cruz in a couple of weeks and will be riding all over and want to be able to lock up around town.

Santa Cruz is well-known to be a bike theft mecca. I wouldn't put it past a thief to knock someone off their bike and ride off.

Proceed with extreme awareness.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    top Abus, Kryptonite or OnGuard U lock. but even those can be picked in about a minute or 2 or cut thru with a grinder in about a minute

best bet, keep an eye on them at all times where youre out and about, and get them insured

must see channel.... ! ! !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9...oZOh6FQ/videos

cable locks = NEVER. they can be cut with wire cutters. huge chain, at least

mtbr member
    id probably get this, at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhwvRQpYquU

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyetattoo View Post

Yeah, no bike is safe in Santa Cruz, locked or not. Enjoy the trip though, Santa Cruz is an awesome town.