Fat loss and muscle building- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Fat loss and muscle building

I am starting to train tomorow and i want to get up nice and early to get out on the bike before work. I start work at 8 am how many hours sleep do people have or need? and how long of a ride or jog would be best any tips would be nice thanks mike.

bust a move
    Would need to know how long it takes you to get ready/travel to work? How much weight are you looking drop.? Do you want to be thin or ripped? What time do you go to sleep? Do you have lights?.need more info... the reason I ask is because fat burning for me is much different than muscle building?
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 02-19-2012 at 01:55 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncerHayton View Post
    I am starting to train tomorow and i want to get up nice and early to get out on the bike before work. I start work at 8 am how many hours sleep do people have or need? and how long of a ride or jog would be best any tips would be nice thanks mike.

Start out with a 20 minute work out and see how you feel. As far as sleep, try to get 8 hrs. Stretch after working out to help avoid excessive soreness. If you take up jogging, don't increase your mileage more than 10 % a week. Make sure to take days off for recovery. Get your nutrition dialed in so you maximize the benefits of your work outs. And finally the most important thing, have fun. Good luck and congrats for taking the plunge.

Chubby Chaser
    If you want to burn fat and build muscle at the same time, the best thing you can do is high intensity, low rest time. Get up in the morning and get out on the bike or out in a wide open area on an empty stomach.

Do a slow warm up jog/ride, and start doing interval sprints. I don't know your level of fitness, but assuming you're not completely out of shape you probably won't keel over and die. Most people will quit before they get to that point anyways because anybody who has done interval training will tell you it's HELL.

The thing is, you can pack a lot of work in a short amount of time, and get the best results. A good example if you're on a bike would be to pedal normal for say, 30 seconds, then do an all out burst/sprint until you can't go anymore, and go back to pedaling normal for 30 seconds; repeat. Same thing for running. Then after you're done with that, go home and eat a nice nutritional breakfast... go to work. Cut out soda, sweets, greasy food. If you're overweight, lower your portion a tad of what you normally eat. Also start weight training 3 times a week.

It's not rocket science, with just a crude plan like that you'll see good results.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    wow some nice info there and a good confidence boost. I dont need to go far to get to work its like 1 min down the street an sorry for the lack of info. I do weight train through the week at my local gym but i havnt been going as much as i use to so im getting out of shape and i carry abit of fat as i am 5.11 and 17 stone. My main problem is that at work i am allways on the road so its easy for me to use the drive through and eat alot of crap. So for my start tomorow i have packed a boiled egg sandwich on whole grain bread with a bannana and a carrot to munch on with water.
    My aim is to loose the fat and get alot fitter for the summer so that i can enjoy my bike more and get into a healthy rutine thanks mike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I recommend "Insanity" from Beach Body. My husband did it for our wedding and lost 25 pounds in 9 weeks. But you have to really commit to it. 6 DAYS A WEEK!!! I also really like Kinesis. They have it at some gyms.

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncerHayton View Post
    wow some nice info there and a good confidence boost. I dont need to go far to get to work its like 1 min down the street an sorry for the lack of info. I do weight train through the week at my local gym but i havnt been going as much as i use to so im getting out of shape and i carry abit of fat as i am 5.11 and 17 stone. My main problem is that at work i am allways on the road so its easy for me to use the drive through and eat alot of crap. So for my start tomorow i have packed a boiled egg sandwich on whole grain bread with a bannana and a carrot to munch on with water.
    My aim is to loose the fat and get alot fitter for the summer so that i can enjoy my bike more and get into a healthy rutine thanks mike.

I would get going at first light/when its safe and get in as much high intensity pedaling as time allows. Longer rides are working for me. If you are able to correct your diet when traveling some it will help you drop weight much faster (easier said I know). Today I had 2 veggie wraps for lunch and I am a carnivore but I have to at least try. Good luck with it!

Never Forget 9-11
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Start out with a 20 minute work out and see how you feel. As far as sleep, try to get 8 hrs. Stretch after working out to help avoid excessive soreness. If you take up jogging, don't increase your mileage more than 10 % a week. Make sure to take days off for recovery. Get your nutrition dialed in so you maximize the benefits of your work outs. And finally the most important thing, have fun. Good luck and congrats for taking the plunge.

Good info

Most adults require between 7-8 hours of sleep. Some more, some less. If the stone to lbs converter I found was accurate, at 5í11Ē you have a few to lose. Donít think of losing weight as a diet, think of it as a lifestyle change. Permanent weight loss comes from eating right and exercise and itís a lifelong commitment. Look to drop about a pound a week. As AZ MTNS said start with about a 20 minute session and try to get one in 3 times a week. Find an exercise that you enjoy and donít be afraid to vary your workouts. Make it a priority and plan your schedule around your workouts. Google is your friend for tons of diet help to get out on the right track. Stay away from the quick weight loss fads and good luck.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It really is about intensity and rest along with solid eating habits; however, you have not told us how old you are and what your goals are. If you are just trying to lose fat and get into shape that is a totally different deal then wanting to race. Watch your joints when lifting weight and try and stay healthy. Get out and ride your bike at least two days a week for a few hours...

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by RrerichsYlice View Post
    I don't know your level of fitness, but assuming you're not completely out of shape you probably won't keel over and die.
    You can say that again

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got up this morning nice and early and went out and did 1 mile or so my chest was tight but i gess thats just getting use to it . I am 27 and i carry muscle with out of shape fat buts to give you a idea thanks mike.

Members who have read this thread: 0