Fat biking didn't live up to the hype for me. What should i get into next?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Fat biking didn't live up to the hype for me. What should i get into next?

Not trying to diss anyone who loves fat biking but im looking to sell my fat bike which i've owned now for 3 years and have used infrequently over the seasons. I like fast adrenaline type stuff, not adventure riding off the beaten path. I'm looking to sell my bike used for $2500 and thinking about what other winter sports i should get into. Any ideas? I already snowboard, so that's out..

Rollin' a fatty
    If you're looking for cardio like excising and fun outside maybe snowshoeing and/or xc ski will be the next thing for you because you already do the best and that is snowboarding.

My riding/snowboarding buddy left to college so want to stay active during the winter and do something that I can do safely on my own so I'll be picking up snowshoeing.

mtbr member
    If your fatbike is 3 years old, I assume the geo probably isn't suited for aggressive trail riding. Have you ridden anything newer? I used strava for a comparison, and on downhill sections without big jumps; I'm faster on my specialized fatboy with bluto fork than I am on my niner rip 9. I can throw it harder in to corners than anything I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've wanted to try XC skiing for winter training and I think I may finally take the opportunity to learn this year, or get back into snow boarding (lift tickets are so pricey by me though without a season pass). Tried winter trail riding a few years ago and it was only okay so I went back to a single speed cross bike with studs for when I want to do a short excursion on the country back roads by me.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Maybe ski jumping?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Snowblading, ha.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Skijoring.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    How about skate skiing?
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Maybe ski jumping?
    on the fatbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i heard that ice fishing and hauling arse on snow machines is a lot of fun, but only with a lot of beer. May want to keep the fat bike to avoid a dui on the snow machine.

mtbr member
    Alpine skiing?

I haven't been on a snowboard in years. I got involved snowboarding from the very beginning and can say I boarded at Alta BEFORE it was banned because no one knew what a snowboard was. I just never took to having both feet confined. People kept saying it was like surfing but that is so far from the truth. Who surfs with their feet secured? Anything I could do on a board I can do much better on two skis. Bumps, jumps, pipes, powder and getting around in side country is easier even then a split board.

So there you go. Buy some fat skis and look for powder.

Or maybe some studded snow tires for your bike and try riding over a frozen lake for grins and giggles.

You can always try a SUP. Those are fun and you can use them wherever you have a body of water. No need for an ocean.

mtbr member
    Since you're already snowboarding, why not pick up a split board and some skins...cardio on the way up...FUN on the way down...well, as fun as snowboarding can be

since 4/10/2009
    What a boring life it must be to only enjoy adrenaline junkie stuff.

Glad I'm the sort of person who can enjoy both.

I got nothing for you, man. Where I live, there aren't too many adrenaline junkie things you can do in the wintertime unless you feel like traveling to the mountains.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Urkel View Post
    Not trying to diss anyone who loves fat biking but im looking to sell my fat bike which i've owned now for 3 years and have used infrequently over the seasons. I like fast adrenaline type stuff, not adventure riding off the beaten path. I'm looking to sell my bike used for $2500 and thinking about what other winter sports i should get into. Any ideas? I already snowboard, so that's out..
    You're gonna have to change your name if you're selling the fat bike.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    ^^^ lol
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL:cool:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

coed hockey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    ^^^ lol
    Doesn't get any better !!

Rock and/or Roll
    I actually did a coed snowshoe run last year that worked out very well for me.
    Got plenty of cardio that winter, lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just wondering what kind of bike you got that you think you can sell it for $2500 used at three years old? Unless your bike is something extra special I'd get used to having it around a little longer at that price.