Fake review posts.- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

New question here. Fake review posts.

This is directed at everyone who visits the product review area, but I think the administrators may know a little more.

I'm wondering about the occurance of manufacturers posting outrageous, through-the-roof reviews of their products on the review boards in an attempt to boost sales, knowing the volume of traffic that MTBR handles. While it's unavoidable, I'm curious if there's any way for us (the users) or you (the MTBR staff) to know for sure if a review is for real or a method of covert advertising.
    Seeing as both myself and tons of other people use the board as a means of deciding between two products (or three or ten), making the right choice would be just that much easier if I (we) were aware of what to look out for in review posts.

Thanks for the education.

bill

not so super...

... and if we just ... If it looks fishy...

Quote Originally Posted by biblebasher
    This is directed at everyone who visits the product review area, but I think the administrators may know a little more.

I'm wondering about the occurance of manufacturers posting outrageous, through-the-roof reviews of their products on the review boards in an attempt to boost sales, knowing the volume of traffic that MTBR handles. While it's unavoidable, I'm curious if there's any way for us (the users) or you (the MTBR staff) to know for sure if a review is for real or a method of covert advertising.
    Seeing as both myself and tons of other people use the board as a means of deciding between two products (or three or ten), making the right choice would be just that much easier if I (we) were aware of what to look out for in review posts.

Thanks for the education.

bill
    Report it to MikeT

Report a Review! Browsing through our reviews and find something that shouldn't be there, or isn't a quality review? Please let us know by emailing us at: [email protected] and tell us which product the review is on. Thank you!
    Nothing to see here.

A wheelist

Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by biblebasher
    I'm curious if there's any way for us (the users) or you (the MTBR staff) to know for sure if a review is for real or a method of covert advertising.

A very good question Bill. As the volunteer moderator for mtbr's Review site I get to see all the daily reviews and to judge them against mtbr's guidelines for review acceptability.

I'll be the first one to say that a bugus review by a company would be hard if not impossible to spot. And as I only get to see the list of reviews and not the actual review page I can't spot a glowing 5 chilis in a sea of 1 chilis. There is no way I can spend the time to view every review page.

Everyone is supposed to leave a valid e-mail address too and I can spot if an address has been left but I can't tell if it's a viable one or not and no maker is dumb enough to use "[email protected]" if he was the maker of Rad bikes. He'd use a hotmail account.

So, to answer your question, no there is no way to spot a maker's bogus review. I'd suggest you do what skating judges do and throw out a high and a low and go from there.

Mike T.

A wheelist

Oh yeah for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Report it to MikeT
    If you see something that doesn't seem right, let me know. But again, I can only go by my guidelines.

Jan 2004

thanks for the education

i'll take it into account in the future.

Wizard of the Trail
    I haven't reviewed anything in awhile, but wouldn't it be feasible to make the review section restricted to registed users? What I mean is, anyone can look at the reviews, but they have to register to actually post one. I don't think this would stop this behaviour, but maybe slow it down some.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    What I do when reading reviews is tend to skim over the positive reviews and read the negatives, or moderate reviews looking for consistency.

If there is a real problem with a part, say a chain ring made out of an aluminum alloy that wears quickly, there should probably be multiple reports of short life time.