Fair asking price for used mountain bike parts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Fair asking price for used mountain bike parts?

Just wanted to get some opinions on fair market values for used parts in good condition. I know the answer here is "it depends", but let's say you purchased a fork for $300, and you have about a season of riding on it. How much would you sell it for? If you have a derailleur that retails for $50, how much would a fair asking price be after a season of riding?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good luck. I've try eBay but u get just a few dollars for it. It's really not worth it. Save them for another bike or when your friends need stuff. I've build a couple used bike from them.
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Used prices used to fetch more for some reason ppl aren't buying used parts as much as they did in the past few years off eBay. Usually figure around half off lower end stuff more towards what u paid for higher end stuff gl

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I like turtles
    I would say 50% of what you paid AT MOST as a starting point. They will be worth whatever you can get someone to pay you for them. I tend to agree with the other poster...just start a parts bin for the small items and see if any friends need upgrades.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

The Original Suspect
    The problem is that new OEM, last year's or even the year before that can be found cheap through online retailers. Why buy used when I can get new? Comes into play. I think the best market for used parts would be newer high end. There's still value in a couple season old high end fork, wheel set, cranks, etc.

mtbr member
    best way is to search ebay for "closed" auctions and see what the part has been selling for.
    Then you know an approximate fair market value.
    Do not go 50% off if everyone pays 80%.

Sometimes the parts I sell I charge 90% because it's still brand new, I never used it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I sell a few used parts. My typical pricing is find the cheapest new price online and price mine at 50% of that.

I like turtles

Re: Fair asking price for used mountain bike parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I sell a few used parts. My typical pricing is find the cheapest new price online and price mine at 50% of that.
    This.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I sell my old stuff on ebay at 50 percent off. It's worth nothing sitting in your garage for ten years. Don't be a hoarder

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree with the above, but it also depends on the condition of the parts. "A season of riding" can mean anything from 1 smooth trail ride per week for the season or 6 rides a week by someone who completely wrecks parts. If a part is in great condition and taken care of...50% off the cheapest price you can find is a great start. That should assume that if it's suspension it's been maintained, drivetrain parts aren't worn, etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Anybody want to give me $5 for my used Altus RD??

Rabid Lana Fan
    Anybody wanna buy a brand new Pike fork? Like new...and only two rides on it...cosmetically flawless, as well.

$25.00

and $900.00 shipping
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I think in some cases, parts sold on eBay are often undervalued because people start with too low of an asking price and do an auction style listing with no reserve. Good point about new parts too. Seems like the overall prices of new parts (at least in some cases) is that they are going down, which can bring down the prices of used parts. Lets face it, there are some pretty darn good deals out there!

banned
    Apr 2009
    One thing I have seen it that when folks get the XT stuff they still feel it worth 95% of what they paid for it (and it is 2 years old..)

Now there are some things I would not buy and see folks selling (like a cassette, chain, etc...)

I got a used cassette for my first bike and the chain kept slipping over itself while riding..

also some saddles I have seen folks wanting 90% of retail and you could see the unevenness on the picture on the saddle cushioning....

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    +2 MTBMILES. I sell most on EBAY used. I dump everything. $18 here and $23 there adds up. 4-6 months goes by and I check my Paypal acct, and find $350! It all adds up. Old parts only temp me to buy a new frame, and start on ANOTHER 3rd bike! Liquidate and update.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I think in some cases, parts sold on eBay are often undervalued because people start with too low of an asking price and do an auction style listing with no reserve. Good point about new parts too. Seems like the overall prices of new parts (at least in some cases) is that they are going down, which can bring down the prices of used parts. Lets face it, there are some pretty darn good deals out there!
    That is precisely why this is the fair market value...an auction is the ultimate way to determine what something is actually worth in the market (a small part of the market). Folks always seem to think what they have is worth more than it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    That is precisely why this is the fair market value...an auction is the ultimate way to determine what something is actually worth in the market (a small part of the market). Folks always seem to think what they have is worth more than it is.
    I'd have to disagree with you there. Some sellers have no idea what they are doing. If you have ever researched completed listings, you will see that the exact same item will sometimes sell for a totally different price. You will also see that some auctions for a particular item do not sell, while other auctions for that same item do sell. On eBay, its not uncommon to hear people buying something of great value for a penny or some absurd price. That doesn't reflect the true value of that item.

mtbr member
    Exactly, do a ebay closed/completed auction search for a RITCHEY WCS C260 STEM

see it has been sold new and like-new condition from 25 bucks - 120 bucks!

The final sale price was almost random and mostly depended on the minimum buy it now price.
    This is an in demand item and people pay what you ask for it.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    I'd have to disagree with you there. Some sellers have no idea what they are doing. If you have ever researched completed listings, you will see that the exact same item will sometimes sell for a totally different price. You will also see that some auctions for a particular item do not sell, while other auctions for that same item do sell. On eBay, its not uncommon to hear people buying something of great value for a penny or some absurd price. That doesn't reflect the true value of that item.
    Time is a factor here. If you put something out for sale and it takes a year to sell it to get what you are asking..is that really a reasonable market value? eBay is quick and its like a spot market. You can always control letting it go for zilch by setting a reserve. I still stand by "its only worth what someone will pay you for it"..just add the time into it.."its only worth what someone will pya for you for it in X time".

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trail_blazer View Post
    exactly, do a ebay closed/completed auction search for a ritchey wcs c260 stem

see it has been sold new and like-new condition from 25 bucks - 120 bucks!

The final sale price was almost random and mostly depended on the minimum buy it now price.
    This is an in demand item and people pay what you ask for it.
    yep!

mtbr member
    I just sold my old drivetrain for 30 bucks today on craigslist. Sram x4 shifters and rear derail, cheap shimano fd and cassette. really shitty cranks and bottom bracket all heavily used. I figured as a whole working drive train someone might bite and use it on a frame lying around.

mtbr member
    For Sale - complete drivetrain :

Sram x4 shifters
    Sram x4 rear derail
    cheap shimano fd
    cheap shimano cassette
    really shitty cranks
    really shitty bottom bracket

all items heavily used.

I cant understand who would pay $30 for this stuff with an ad like this........

mtbr member
    some guy. I was blatantly honest in the add, it was used but still running fine. I would have taken a little less for it but he offered me 30 for the drivetrain with some pedals.

I didn't think anyone would buy it but if they did it was because they had a frame laying around they wanted to get running cheaply. If it didn't sell I would have held on to it until i saw a frame with rusted out parts I could get running and sell as a whole bike.

You never know what people will buy on craigslist and it doesn't hurt to post it.