face protection- Mtbr.com

Thread: face protection

bikenbetty
    Mar 2011

face protection

What is out there for a windshield for mountain bikes?

mtbr member
    Cars have windshields, some motorcycles, but not bikes. I wear sun glasses.

bikenbetty
    Mar 2011
    Let me re-form my question... If you want not just your eyes covered, while riding.. and I use sunscreen.. but need to keep the sun totally off my face... what is out there? Attaching to the helmet itself..
    Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Are you trying to shade your entire face? If so, a full-face helmet with UV protected goggles is about as good as it gets without going to a motorcycle helmet.

mtbr member
    Yep, Met makes a really light full face helmet. That's what I use for XC riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lerrygibson
    hi,
    Well, I believe the real fun is in enjoying the sun rays falling on face while riding. but on protection side sun screen and a UV goggles is enough.
    I am guessing there is a good reason why Betty doesn't want to get sun on her face. Maybe she has really fair skin or an allergy to the sun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    a vampire!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Little off topic but as long as we are talking about face protection, I always use a boil and bite mouthguard when doing DH or DJ even when wearing a full face helmet. The full face helmet can't really protect your chin from the bottom and the mouthguard can also reduce the severity of a concussion.

Windshields are hot and fog up quickly even on a street bike(motorcycle), it probably wouldn't be much fun with a MTB.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by dbfzurowski
    a vampire!
    no doubt - I bet she's a hot vampire too!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

is buachail foighneach me
    If you need to keep the sun completely off of your face, for medical reasons or otherwise, a balaclava is going to be your best/easiest option. It will be warm though.... Another option would be to get a full face mtb helmet and attach a tinted, UV filtering, wrap around visor/face shield. Not sure where you would find one that would easily retrofit to an mtb helmet.

Here's one that looks like it would be better for summer use. The cotton should absorb some sweat, which will then be cooled by the wind as you ride.

http://www.amazon.com/AQUILLA-BOX-Co...pd_sbs_auto_34

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You can wear a regular helmet, a head buff thingy and wide sunglasses. Thats what I wear, I hate suntan lotion I fish a lot. I'm under the sun at least 10 hours every week. SPF clothes and the head buff gets me by. And no wise ass comments please. I have two buddies who had quarter pound hamburgers taken out of their face and necks. Can you say MELANOMA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    You can wear a regular helmet, a head buff thingy and wide sunglasses. Thats what I wear, I hate suntan lotion I fish a lot. I'm under the sun at least 10 hours every week. SPF clothes and the head buff gets me by.

If I saw that riding twards me, I'd whip a 180 and ride like hell!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Best thing since sliced bread. I have the Mountain Bike UK freebie that came with the magazine. It keeps my neck warm during socal winters too

bikenbetty
    Mar 2011

face protection

Hey thanks for your reply... My interest in face mask/protection is for one the gnats that come into season as the days heat up, and secondly for sun protection. I have devised a UV protection, poly-carbonite prototype that I attach with velcro... covers my face, keeps out the gnats, doesn't interfer with my heavy breathing. Just looks like hell, no curb appeal. Hoping maybe someone has designed a solution with a bit more look appeal...

bikenbetty
    Mar 2011
    Vampire....hmmmmm
    Well that is a good question why need the coverage?? I can say I may be a little "long in the tooth" but nobody has told me I am hard on their eyes!!!
    Trail riding in No. Calif brings with it small black gnats that just seem to find me amazingly attractive. The buzzing around my eyes and up my nose takes a great ride down to a challenge beyond elevation...

I had figured it was an alergy to sunscreen or(worse), UV. If the gnats are the main concern, I would say just a bandana tied biker/rioter style over your nose/mouth and suitable glasses.

~Disc~Golf~
    some dood just did a thread about gnats and made a screen...I'll see if I can find it

EDIT - Found it
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=699873
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Buzz Off bandana. I velcro one on to the back of my helmet to repel gnats. Cut it in half so it makes 2 as it's too big as sold. They still hit my legs but stay away from my head.
    The only other way I know to shade your face well is to get a dorky brim for horse riding to put on your helmet.
    agmtb

sketchiness abounds...

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    If I saw that riding twards me, I'd whip a 180 and ride like hell!
    In iraq if we saw that coming at us we just shot it
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03
    In iraq if we saw that coming at us we just shot it

Here's another bad idea.

InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    actualy there are severl companies make " windshields".... properly called a fairing..... only one I can think of off the top of my head at the moment is Windwrap..... fairings are generally used on recumbents but yes I have seen them on upright bikes it would'nt be hard to adapt one fer a Mountain Rig

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenbetty
    Hey thanks for your reply... My interest in face mask/protection is for one the gnats that come into season as the days heat up, and secondly for sun protection. I have devised a UV protection, poly-carbonite prototype that I attach with velcro... covers my face, keeps out the gnats, doesn't interfer with my heavy breathing. Just looks like hell, no curb appeal. Hoping maybe someone has designed a solution with a bit more look appeal...

How to beat GNATS! Get a BuzzOff bandana and velcro it to your helmet. I cut mine in half cause it's too long. Every time you stop and the gnats are bad, they get a whiff of the bandana and do hit my legs but they stay away from my face. Cheap effective solution.
    agmtb

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    You can wear a regular helmet, a head buff thingy and wide sunglasses. Thats what I wear, I hate suntan lotion I fish a lot. I'm under the sun at least 10 hours every week. SPF clothes and the head buff gets me by. And no wise ass comments please. I have two buddies who had quarter pound hamburgers taken out of their face and necks. Can you say MELANOMA.

ak47 inclueded?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    How to beat GNATS! Get a BuzzOff bandana and velcro it to your helmet. I cut mine in half cause it's too long. Every time you stop and the gnats are bad, they get a whiff of the bandana and do hit my legs but they stay away from my face. Cheap effective solution.
    To the BACK of my helmet so it shades my ears and neck.
    agmtb

Members who have read this thread: 0