Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    I can relate 100%. I raced professionally and had countless injuries, but I was getting paid and the checks kept rolling in. It was part of the job, although I was unlucky, my employer understood the risks involved.

After my racing days were over, I started racing motocross. And again, the broken bones came including a broken back T2, T12. Motocross was a hobby, not a job. When you’re hobby gets in the way of supporting you and your family repeatedly, it might be time to change hobbies if you can’t go ride without suffering injuries that keep you from earning a paycheck.

I feel for you, I gave up motocross, a sport I loved more than anything. But when you have a family counting on you.... it’s not that hard of a decision.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    kick her in the cooter.

Bahahahahahahaha!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think, though, that it was "punch her in the cooter".

OMG. PRICELESS.

You need to post that in this thread...

http://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-tra...y-1026138.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I like to ride within my skill set and comfort level. 2 of my worst crashes have been on the commuter bike, so there's that. Nothing bad ever, just some bumps and bruises. My skill level means drops in the 1-2 ft range. I know so many riders that have been injured at say Highland park ( NH) doing some big air. My wife is ok wth the mt bike stuff, likes my legs and ( sort of) non beer belly. At 56 I only take a multi vitamin. Exercise is great for everyone, beats getting obese issues sitting on the couch. I came home last year after a ride in which I had some ground contact. I'm sweaty, leaves in the hair, dirt all over and a little blood on one knee. She comes in the living room, looks at me, hands me an ipa and says " don't bleed on the couch" and walks away.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Moved to his analog cabin?
    lol more like the dog house

But if his wife is earning the money, he doesn't have a lot of leverage to tell her what he wants to do for fun, that's the real problem.
    Coffee, Ted?
    Ted's from a dysfunctional family.
    Oh...so no coffee...
    ---Samuel L. Jackson, Loaded Weapon I

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    That's what I want for my kids too. I hope they find something that inspires them, both in terms of career and hobbies. When they were little I took them biking, skiing, and snowboarding with me but it doesn't get them excited like it does me.

Don't push it like the two co-workers did below:

I worked for a couple of bosses from...well let's just say a different continent, and got to meet their 12-13 year old kids at parties. A couple of times, I had to call my bosses at their home from work about an emergency and ask them what to do with something there, and both times their kids answered the phone on a Saturday morning. They were dead tired, like zombies. They sounded very depressed and like they had about 3 hours of sleep.

I brought it up to the female boss, she blew it off. I brought it up to the male boss, and he lamented about it. "I sign my kid up for all of these sports, after-school study sessions, extracurricular activities, I've taken her sailing, golfing, horse riding, and everything else, and she just wants to be left alone in her room." He was filling up her schedule after school all the way to 10 PM, and THEN she could start her homework for the day. She was 13 and was forced to be busy 16-20 hours a day. Both bosses had already planned what college their kid would graduate from, before they even started high school. If you ask me, that is nothing less than child abuse. It's going way overboard.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I've been injured twice playing golf. Once I was hit by an errant shot off an adjacent tee, which caused my left forearm to go numb and I couldn't finish the round. The other time I split my eyebrow open with my own club when I was attacked by a swarm of June bugs. So I had to give it up.

About 20 years ago some dude really messed up a chip shot from a sand bunker, and in anger swung his club at the nearest tree (I think it was a sand wedge). The club bounced off the tree and the wedge hit him right in the neck, and he bled to death a few minutes later. Don't play golf, way too dangerous, mountain bike instead.

mtbr member
    I heard about a zaney yet lovable grounds keeper that blew up an entire golf course trying to get rid of some gophers.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I heard about a zaney yet lovable grounds keeper that blew up an entire golf course trying to get rid of some gophers.
    “Not the golfers!!! (Scottish accent of course) The gophers!!!! LOL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123