Ever heard of Northstar 4130 Chromoly?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Ever heard of Northstar 4130 Chromoly?

I was wondering if anyone ever heard of a Northstar 4130 Chromoly frame. Full rigid steel frame.

Also any experience/impressions riding on 4130 steel frame?

Thanks.

Mar 2004

steel=good

Quote Originally Posted by MoeChedda
    I was wondering if anyone ever heard of a Northstar 4130 Chromoly frame. Full rigid steel frame.

Also any experience/impressions riding on 4130 steel frame?

Thanks.
    Many of the best bikes I have ever ridden, and/or owned, road and mountain, were built of chrome-moly steel.
    Aluminum is for screen doors and chaise lounge frames. Steel has proven itself as THE material for bicycle frames for well over a century.
    btw: crmo, cr-mo, chromoly, chrome-moly, chrome-molybdenum alloy, 4130, all means exactly the same thing. Venerable Reynolds 531, equal in performance to chrome-moly, is,or was, actually manganese-molybdenum, mang-moly.
    steel to avoid: Schwinn "xtra lite" (it ain't), low carbon steel, 1020.

chrome-moly is stronger than 1020. But a frame can be 100 percent 4130 and weigh 7 pounds, or 3 pounds, or anywhere in between. Depends entirely on the tubings' wall thicknesses, diameters, and whether that tubing is straight-gauge, or butted, and if butted, how and where.

Aug 2004

Good info bulC...

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Many of the best bikes I have ever ridden, and/or owned, road and mountain, were built of chrome-moly steel.
    Aluminum is for screen doors and chaise lounge frames. Steel has proven itself as THE material for bicycle frames for well over a century.
    btw: crmo, cr-mo, chromoly, chrome-moly, chrome-molybdenum alloy, 4130, all means exactly the same thing. Venerable Reynolds 531, equal in performance to chrome-moly, is,or was, actually manganese-molybdenum, mang-moly.
    steel to avoid: Schwinn "xtra lite" (it ain't), low carbon steel, 1020.

chrome-moly is stronger than 1020. But a frame can be 100 percent 4130 and weigh 7 pounds, or 3 pounds, or anywhere in between. Depends entirely on the tubings' wall thicknesses, diameters, and whether that tubing is straight-gauge, or butted, and if butted, how and where.
    Thanks for the low-down -- this Northstart is an older frame, 98, 99'ish -- looks fairly light and is in good shape. I'm sure it's all good and I'll probably swoop it up as my hardtail.

--