mtbr member
    Dec 2017

ESI Chunky grips DIY?

I just bought a set of ESI chunky grips and couldn't help but notice they're basically just roughly cut chunks of silicon tubing. Does anyone know where one could purchase a large length of such tubing to have a lifetime supply of cheap grips?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    China? Not sure how they compare to ESI, but you can get silicone grips for $2 on eBay.

EAT MORE GRIME
    right here

it's the density that you need to get right

https://silicone.co.uk/products/sili...sponge-tubing/
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    OP, get a grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I wish I had never tired ESI chunky grips. I love the squish, padding, and they are light and stay put too. The problem is they are super easy to rip, and I've gone through grips faster than any other part on the bike. They cost more than tacos for two from a food truck, which isn't bad if you only need a pair once a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I wish I had never tired ESI chunky grips. I love the squish, padding, and they are light and stay put too. The problem is they are super easy to rip, and I've gone through grips faster than any other part on the bike. They cost more than tacos for two from a food truck, which isn't bad if you only need a pair once a year.
    taco trucks in towns full of hipsters are surprisingly expensive.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    taco trucks in towns full of hipsters are surprisingly expensive.
    yes, indeed. hipster tacos are expensive. authentic ones, not so much.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    yeah I was diggin my esi on ride #1 with 'em

on ride #2 I was like..well, they are OK but are they better that what I wuz using ?

then I booped a tree like usual in a tight squeeze and the grip just shredded

nah...I'd rather ride and fit in tight trees and occasionally bop them than buy 30 dollar cheeze-whiz grips every time I want to actually grind.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Just get the $1.29 silicone grips off eBay. They are basically the same thing, and weigh less on my scale.

I nearly had an argument the other day at my LBS where they wanted to sell me a $15 pair of ESI Chunky grips to replace my somewhat beat-up $1.29 eBay grips on my bike, and I told them I'd rather just get them for $1.29 on eBay. They were flabbergasted to learn that was an option.

mtbr member
    eBay silicone grips do look and feel similar to ESI (at 1/10 the price), but the glossy finish makes them very slippery. I tried roughing the surface with sandpaper without luck.

Before giving up, I tough I'd try Stickum spray directly at the palm gloves ...

mtbr member
    ESI's have uneven thickness. There's a fat part thats supposed to go towards your palm.

I feel like ive tried basically everything, and then some more. For me, I've found ESI's to be so much better than everything out there that they're worth whatever they're charging, so ill buy a set every few months.

You're not going to find generic tubing to make grips out of. I think your best bet is to buy metal bar end plugs to protect the grips, or move on to something else. I dont clip too many trees or anything so it works out alright.
    WTB: Small aluminum hardtail 26 or 27.5 frame. Pm me!

mtbr member
    I love mine. Second best thing after dropper post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grooverider View Post
    I love mine. Second best thing after dropper post.

i concur completely. ran my first pair for 12 months/130 rides with minimal chunking. now on to my second pair on a different bike and 70 rides in and they are still in good nick. For riding 2-3 hours at a time on rocky bumpy terrain there is nothing like ESI's.

mtbr member
    I find ESI's to be not nearly as fragile as many people claim, I don't treat my bike especially nice and I get a year out of them no problem. No worse value than any other component on my bike that I can think of.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I used to use ESI but I wanted an even fatter grip. I have been using Red Monkey Sports 9.5mm grips and the are fantastic. They also make them for Wolftooth and are named Fat Paw. Awesome, comfortable long lasting grips.

https://www.redmonkeysports.com/coll...5mm-grips-grey

mtbr member
    For an opposing view: I used ESI grips for a while but found I like skinny grips better as they're easier and less fatiguing to hold onto... less likely to get arm pump.
    Do the math.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    For an opposing view: I used ESI grips for a while but found I like skinny grips better as they're easier and less fatiguing to hold onto... less likely to get arm pump.
    I felt the same. I found myself having to squeeze the chunky extra firmly in order to feel in control of the bar. The ESI Fit XC grips with the narrow neck felt better but I went back to a lock-on style since I seem to remove my grips a lot for some reason.