mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Ebay resolution center...or not???

Hello all. I recently purchased a set of used wheels (Mavic Crossmax XL). The description stated "Freewheel and hubs are in good shape." The front axle, however, takes a fair amount of effort to turn. The LBS verified that the front hub was way too tight. I contacted the seller, and after a little back and forth (including an offer to have him refund the cost of the LBS servicing them, which he refused), I offered to return them and let him spin the hub. I told him that if he thought they were good, I would eat the return shipping cost (from HI is pretty high). If he agreed that they didn't spin as they should, he could help out with half the shipping cost. He offered a refund, but flat out refused to pay for any shipping. He then asked if I had ever serviced hubs, because it isn't that difficult. I have, but they were Shimano cup and cone, which come apart with simple spanner wrenches. These look like they require special tools. In any case I'm debating opening a resolution center complaint with eBay. Am I being unreasonable? I mean, if he had listed them as "good condition, but in need of servicing," it would have changed my decision to purchase them.

Any thoughts (even if you think I'm the unreasonable one) or opinions are welcome. Also please post if you have any personal experience with the resolution center.

Please no tips on servicing the hubs.

Thanks,
    Randy

mtbr member
    Longtime Ebay user here.

Hopefully all your correspondence has been through Ebay. If I buy something through Ebay listed as in good shape, I take that to mean they are used, but in working order.

At this point, I would open up a case through Ebay. I have done this two times. You just have to show good faith in trying to resolve the problem. By the way, your offer of sending the wheel for the seller to check, I would never do. If he already misrepresented the condition in the ad, then he will most likely do it again.

Open up the case, item as not described, and get your money back. It will take a few days for Ebay to close the case. Last time this happened to me, the seller did not want to do anything about a poorly packed frame that supposedly was damaged during shipping. In the end, Ebay ruled in my favor and issued me a shipping label, charged to the seller's account, to return the frame. Once it arrived, I was given full credit back.

Best of luck.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

since 4/10/2009
    these days, ebay protects the buyer WAY more than the seller, so I agree to open up the case and get your money back.

To a certain extent, I expect used items might need a little attention, but I also expect the seller to be honest about EVERYTHING.

Thing is with a hub that's too tight, is that the bearings inside could be trash, and depending on what you've got, replacing them might be annoyingly expensive. But you're not going to know until you dive in. If I expect this sort of thing beforehand, I'm going to pay a whole lot less for an item than I otherwise might.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with those exact wheels, but Many Mavic hubs have a built-in adjuster that can be turned to adjust the bearing preload. Some use a plastic 4 pin spanner to engage holes in the adjuster and turn it.

It's not uncommon to feel some drag or roughness spinning a hub axle with your fingers because the moment arm is so short. Spinning the wheel when on the bike will often feel perfect. It can be a matter of opinion whether the drag or roughness is acceptable or not.

You pay less for used stuff exactly because it may be imperfect and there's little recourse if it is. In some cases you make out and in others not. If it were me, I'd chalk it up to that latter and use it as is if not too bad, rebuild the hub myself, or pay the shop to do it, rather the deal with the aggravation and back and forth with seller.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You’ve exhausted all reasonable efforts to resolve with the seller. Time to engage the eBay resolution process.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I will go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    By the way, your offer of sending the wheel for the seller to check, I would never do. If he already misrepresented the condition in the ad, then he will most likely do it again.
    Thanks for that tip, I'll make sure not to do so in the future, though I hope not to deal with this stuff too often. He did comment that (after I paid to ship them back), he'd service the hubs and get more money for them in the riding season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    It's not uncommon to feel some drag or roughness spinning a hub axle with your fingers because the moment arm is so short. Spinning the wheel when on the bike will often feel perfect.
    Yes I am aware of this. I learned it when servicing that set of Shimano hubs I was talking about. The key word here is effort. Almost to the extent that I'd compare it to putting a screw into wood. They will spin a FEW revolutions on a stand, but that's with a tire mounted providing extra weight and thus momentum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    these days, ebay protects the buyer WAY more than the seller, so I agree to open up the case and get your money back.

To a certain extent, I expect used items might need a little attention, but I also expect the seller to be honest about EVERYTHING.
    I'm off of eBay and Paypal. I got screwed over a couple of times, lately by a buyer of a dropper post that he bought before he actually had a bike, discovered it wouldn't fit on his new bike, and accused me (through eBay) of not delivering it to him.

eBay decided in my favor, then the little maternity fornicator got PayPal to reverse the charge on his card and they wanted me to pay for it (he never returned it).

It took a bunch of phone calls but I wasn't going to pay and eventually didn't have to but it was not worth the hassle for 200 bucks.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I'm off of eBay and Paypal. I got screwed over a couple of times, lately by a buyer of a dropper post that he bought before he actually had a bike, discovered it wouldn't fit on his new bike, and accused me (through eBay) of not delivering it to him.

eBay decided in my favor, then the little maternity fornicator got PayPal to reverse the charge on his card and they wanted me to pay for it (he never returned it).

It took a bunch of phone calls but I wasn't going to pay and eventually didn't have to but it was not worth the hassle for 200 bucks.
    Yeah, I think they've gone too far with "buyer protection" over "seller protection" because buyers have figured out how to game the system as you've experienced.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think they've gone too far with "buyer protection" over "seller protection" because buyers have figured out how to game the system as you've experienced.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I will never sell another bike on Ebay, sold my last bike on there and the bike was used but in very good shape normal wear and tear but functioned perfectly. Buyer tried to say wheels were bent, dropper wasnt working, etc none of which were true. Then proceeded to say if you refund me $700 I'll keep it (sale price of the bike was $1500) I said nope just box it up and ship it back I will refund you fully. Never heard another word from him until he left me bogus negative rep on ebay. He was trying to get a discount. Not to mention Ebay holds onto your money for almost a month unless you have tons of sales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin-nc View Post
    I will never sell another bike on Ebay, sold my last bike on there and the bike was used but in very good shape normal wear and tear but functioned perfectly. Buyer tried to say wheels were bent, dropper wasnt working, etc none of which were true. Then proceeded to say if you refund me $700 I'll keep it (sale price of the bike was $1500) I said nope just box it up and ship it back I will refund you fully. Never heard another word from him until he left me bogus negative rep on ebay. He was trying to get a discount. Not to mention Ebay holds onto your money for almost a month unless you have tons of sales.

I don't sell anything on ebay anymore, either. Similar reasons (though less severe ones as you've experienced). I buy the occasional item, but only if I can't find it anywhere else. Complete last resort for me. So I MIGHT buy one cord or something every couple of years from there anymore.

mtbr member
    I don't sell anything on ebay anymore, either. Similar reasons (though less severe ones as you've experienced). I buy the occasional item, but only if I can't find it anywhere else. Complete last resort for me. So I MIGHT buy one cord or something every couple of years from there anymore.
    Buying is one thing but selling is just not worth it although you're kind of stuck sometimes. Selling motorcycle parts or odds and ends that you simply just wont find a buyer with the small scope of facebook or craigslist

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin-nc View Post
    Buying is one thing but selling is just not worth it although you're kind of stuck sometimes. Selling motorcycle parts or odds and ends that you simply just wont find a buyer with the small scope of facebook or craigslist

I won't sell on craigslist anymore, either. I've not really been happy with how that's gone the few times I've used it.

I haven't really tried to use Facebook's "marketplace" yet, honestly. For a lot of stuff, I've found it to be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth to try to sell things if I only have a few items. I usually wind up giving stuff away. There's a women's shelter that runs a donation store nearby where I take small household type stuff usually. Fairly recently, I've had big household stuff to get rid of that's been perfectly good. I'll only make a small attempt to sell them, and then after that, offer them up for free to friends. Gave away a couch and chair last week, in fact. Gave away a refrigerator last year. Sometimes I'll sell things at a yard sale or some such. Earlier this year my neighborhood organized a neighborhood yard sale. Everybody who participated set up a table at the neighborhood park, and I sold a few things there. But I didn't have a ton of stuff to sell anyway.

As for bike parts, I'm usually in no rush to sell that kinda stuff. It's usually small stuff, anyway. So I'll wait until someone I know needs it and sell for cheap, or possibly even give it away.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't post stuff on Ebay but the 'tricks' to get out of paying suck. I've had people not pay, which takes a few weeks before you can even repost it to someone wanting a full refund for claiming the item never got there--luckily I had the tracking number and receipt for shipping. The Resolution Center is a big pain either way, and it takes forever to get results.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'll buy from ebay. I won't use Paypal anymore, though. Ebay and Paypal skim a lot off of every transaction. The only advantage to Paypal is that small-time ebayers without credit card accounts will take it but I think I'm off buying used parts from potentially sketchy individuals.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I wonder if the seller has read this thread. After all the mtb community is pretty small and tight knit. Lots of good advice in here OP. Good luck in getting this resolved and in a timely manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I wonder if the seller has read this thread. After all the mtb community is pretty small and tight knit. Lots of good advice in here OP. Good luck in getting this resolved and in a timely manner.
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I went ahead and opened a dispute and almost immediately got a response from eBay telling me the seller had accepted my return and to print a shipping label. I then got one stating that I had been refined the purchase and shipping cost.

When I clicked on the link for the label, it just took me to a page saying the return is complete. So now I have my money and the wheels. I called eBay and told them the situation, so they sent him a message telling him to send me a new label. That was about 3 days ago, and haven't heard anything yet. EBay said give it two weeks. I tried really hard to work with the guy, but since he didn't want to work with me, I'm going through the channels necessary to make sure I don't get screwed. I ended up buying a set of wheels off bww. Not as high end as Mavics, but they're built around XT hubs, which I can service myself easily. And still tubeless ready, if not UST.

Anyways thanks for the advice, everything worked out fine...So far.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Ebay resolution center, yes. I've had success a couple times on items that were not as described. The most recent was a mountain bike listed in "excellent" condition. Pictures seemed to bear this out. But when it arrived, it was obvious the chain had never been lubed but had been exposed to sand. So the chain, while appearing nice & shiny was actually stretched a great amount. The rings & cassette were likewise ruined.

Further inspection found the headset filled with sand & water. I assumed the bottom bracket was equally ruined from the gritty feel of it, but I never took it apart. The tubeless tires were setup wrong with 2 layers of tape, but neither of them sealed. At least 3 kinds of sealant were poured in, with most of it going down the spoke-holes into the rim-channels. It also had a cheaper saddle than the one pictured.

I conducted all communications through ebay. I offered the seller that I would keep the bike for a $800 refund (my estimated cost of repair parts). I told him it was a bargain because I wasn't charging him for labor.

Then he started replying that he didn't understand, & English isn't his first language. From then on I used google translate & communicated in 2 languages. I had someone fluent in his language check the message stream. They said he appears to be illiterate in his own language as well.

I thoroughly documented all the problems in pictures & text. He refused my offer & I told him I would be returning the bike for a full refund. He replied that the sale was final. I told him the listing was fraudulent. Ebay agreed with me & I got the full refund & shipped the bike back. The ebay rep handling the case was actually very knowledgeable about high-end bikes.

About a month later, I saw an ebay listing for a frame only, using some of the same photos from the original listing, but under a different new user ID. He would have been better off accepting my $800 refund offer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

All fat, all the time.
    How much for the lbs to adjust/fix it?
    Not worth the hassle to fart around with refunds, shipping back and forth etc.