www.ninjichor.com

Dumb/silly things cyclists have done

I recently made a thread titled, "Things MTBers gradually learn the hard way", but realized that some mountain bikers just don't learn, or perhaps can learn from others' stupidity. This thread is intended to catch more fails.

From silly bike set-up things from lack of attention/care, to spending your energy a bit too wildly on the trail, including random stuff such as the example below, POST WHAT YA GOT. The more carnage, the better!

Dumb/silly things cyclists have done-poorsquirrel_1.jpg

Name:  76039319_f5e81e4f93.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  148.8 KB

Can only imagine what happened here, such as to rider in the crash and the sounds made... xD (source)

Cycologist
    I don't think you can blame the cyclist for that ^, you must not live where there are squirrels (is there such a place outside of really cold climates?) I've run over one on my road bike and lots of near misses on my mountain bikes. The little buggers have a tendency to suddenly dart onto the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

www.ninjichor.com
    Well, I did say "including random stuff". More tire clearance (inverted fork) and disc rotors:

Name:  p3pb1673957.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  54.1 KB

Thinking that mud clearance doesn't matter, and that the tire size is fine as long as the tires don't rub:

Dumb/silly things cyclists have done-29er-front-wheel-packed-mud-l.jpg

Out spokin'
    Thread re-title: "Dumb/silly things squirrels have done."
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Professional Crastinator
    Those little red squirrels are frickin' suicidal.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Nutrailer
    That picture reminds of when we were riding in Spain and it began rain - yes we were on a plain - and the bikes clogged up in minutes;

Dumb/silly things cyclists have done-dsc_0028.jpg

So yes we were dumb to try and continue to cycle on a muddy track but there was a bar a few miles on we were aiming for.
    What a perfect waste of time

passed out in your garden
    I have also made the "clay" mistake, half an hour of pulling to get the fruka out, my shoes were so heavy it wasnt funny, and I had no chance to carry the bike, it sucked
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dumb/silly things cyclists have done-img_20160214_103121403-1.jpg  

always mad and usually drunk......

Nutrailer
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    I have also made the "clay" mistake, half an hour of pulling to get the fruka out, my shoes were so heavy it wasnt funny, and I had no chance to carry the bike, it sucked
    Holy cr~p, I bet you were wearing size 30 boots by the end of that as well

mtbr member
    Bike maintenance that always drives me crazy. Lube your chain. From someone commuting to high end bikes, I hate the sound of a squeaky chain.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Bike maintenance that always drives me crazy. Lube your chain. From someone commuting to high end bikes, I hate the sound of a squeaky chain.
    Iíve never heard my chain squeak. But I also always lube pre-ride and of its a lengthy ride a squirt mid ride always helps. I also rarely ride in wet conditions which would enhance the loss of lunrication.

The kamikaze squirrel photos bring back memories. A trail I road frequently in San Diego called Big Laguna Trail had a whole clan of those. Darting out stopping mid trail then darting back or darting straight across. Crazy little guys, itís like they know what they are doing and treat it like an extreme sport. Probably all adolescent males.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Probably all adolescent males.
    maybe the slow ones are like us, wannabe adolescent males

Nutrailer
    #sigh#
    Last edited by JackWare; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:21 PM. Reason: Toe typing

Nutrailer
    But I also always lube pre-ride and if its a lengthy ride a squirt mid ride always helps.
    Is this more of a middle-aged male thing?

I lol'd

All fat, all the time.
    I had a squirrel run across the trail and bounce off the side of my fat tire. Good stuff.

Dumb / silly things cyclists have done.

Make up nicknames for their bikes.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Snow Dog
    no pics, but some would say that every time I am on a bike, it is a dumb, silly thing....
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    purple ano everything
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    purple ano everything
    Anal people ano.

Anal people ano.
    say it backwards and it still makes sense

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Throw expensive parts at a Walmart bike and hope for good outcomes.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

www.ninjichor.com
    I broke the internals of my old Avid brakes in the process of bleeding it. I was putting pressure on the bleed syringe while the lever was depressed. I noticed that the lever wouldn't return if I let it go. I then looked to see if it could extend it myself... it broke in the process of doing so. I didn't even use much pressure, just extending my index finger with its back pushing on the lever. Seems like the inside end of the pushrod snapped.

Looks like a lever rebuild kit is $25-30 and a required service tool, to punch out the lever pivot, is another $20-25.

Unrelated to the dumb thing with my brake above, I had a run in with a rabbit crossing the trail at full speed at night around the time I started this thread. The strike hit my front wheel from the side, enough to turn it 45 degrees, but I stayed on and recovered. Judging by the grunt I let out to muscle the bike back on course, it was a bigger impact than I normally encounter while riding. xD

Nat
    mtbr member
    Have you ever started pushing fluid through your hydro brakes during a bleed while forgetting to insert a bleed block in the caliper? Yeah, I'm still cleaning up fluid from the garage floor.

Never trust a fart

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I had a squirrel run across the trail and bounce off the side of my fat tire. Good stuff.
    That happened to me just last week

I lol'd

mtbr member
    Oh man I laughed a few times this morning, thanks.

Learning how to ride with clipless pedals: T I M B E R !!!

Anyone else?

Bikesexual
    Forgot my gloves on top of the cassette, and some how when I put my bike upright they didn't fall, instead they got tangled on my chain and made it to the front der. DUH!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dumb/silly things cyclists have done-cam00070.jpg  

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Forgot my gloves on top of the cassette, and some how when I put my bike upright they didn't fall, instead they got tangled on my chain and made it to the front der. DUH!
    I guess this ponders the question: Why were your gloves stored on your cassette?

Bikesexual
    I guess this ponders the question: Why were your gloves stored on your cassette?
    I was taking a break, this was just as I started riding on my BD $299.00 bike
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Have you ever started pushing fluid through your hydro brakes during a bleed while forgetting to insert a bleed block in the caliper? Yeah, I'm still cleaning up fluid from the garage floor.
    Haven't done that one, but have had the hose pop off the bleed syringe a few times and spray toxic DOT fluid all over creation.

One reason I will never run anything but mineral oil brakes again.

Have also had the regulator on my air compressor fail to maintain the 40 psi setting when seating a tubeless tire, resulting in putting enough pressure in a tubeless tire to blow it clean off the rim. End result, bruised hand, ringing ears, and a full body shower in Stan's sealant.

Why does Stan's sealant taste sweet? I'd prefer something minty.
    No dig no whine

I was taking a break, this was just as I started riding on my BD $299.00 bike
    Iíll often set a PB&J sammich on my cassette while taking a break. I never thought about storing my gloves there.

mtbr member
    When I was in high school in the early 90s and started getting serious into riding mountain bikes, I saved my pennies and bought a nice custom wheelset with a set Bullseye hubs that I had coveted since my time racing BMX back in the early 80s.

I ran those wheels/hubs for 4 or 5 years, but never could get them to shift correctly. Under heavy pedaling loads, the chain skip on the rear freewheel (yes it was a freewheel). So, I adjusted my riding style to just find a gear that worked and muscle through whatever the trail would throw at me.

As I got more adept at working on my own bike I figured out the reason why I could never get the freewheel to shift correctly. The machining on the rear hub was not round, which caused a significant wobble in the freewheel, resulting in the chain skipping in certain gears no matter how you adjusted the rear derailleur.

Despite moving on to new equipment that worked better, the damage was done. Those formative years, with many a kneecap bashed into my stem from a skipping chain taught me to never trust my gears. So, in rolling terrain, with punchy climbs, to this day I often neglect to shift early/often enough because deep down in side, I don't trust my gears.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Iíll often set a PB&J sammich on my cassette while taking a break. I never thought about storing my gloves there.
    I can only imagine you forget your PB&J one day and then you take off. One of two things will happen...

1. Your gears would get some nice peanut grease and may help shift smoother
    2. Or it'll clog up your gears, causing your chain to slip, which flies up like a rubber band and snaps you on the ass, causing you to jump in surprise, which also lifts your bike off the ground, which coincidentally allows you to clear that giant gap you didn't see going downhill at breakneck speed.... which ends up being a personal best.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

Quote Originally Posted by mrFreelancer View Post
    I can only imagine you forget your PB&J one day and then you take off. One of two things will happen...

2. Or it'll clog up your gears, causing your chain to slip, which flies up like a rubber band and snaps you on the ass, causing you to jump in surprise, which also lifts your bike off the ground, which coincidentally allows you to clear that giant gap you didn't see going downhill at breakneck speed.... which ends up being a personal best.
    #2 actually happened but I was too embarrassed to share it here. Trust me, I learned my lesson on where to store my PB&Jís while on a break.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    (...)
    Probably because of the Propylene Glycol (PG) in the Stan's formula, PG has a sweet taste .

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by mrFreelancer View Post

This is completely dependent on whether DJ was consuming smooth or crunchy. I"d recommend natural smooth to achieve 1ness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    This is completely dependent on whether DJ was consuming smooth or crunchy. I"d recommend natural smooth to achieve 1ness.
    OMG brilliant observation! I'm wondering if organic or cage free may also help
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

Just to set your mind at ease itís always been smooth with me. So if I were to go out on a limb here Iíd have to assume that day was smooth as well. So yes I did achieve 1ness so to speak.

Snow Dog
    Just to set your mind at ease itís always been smooth with me. So if I were to go out on a limb here Iíd have to assume that day was smooth as well. So yes I did achieve 1ness so to speak.
    dumb things MTBrs do - eat crunchy peanut butter. Creamy rules!!!

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Cycologist
    I like my peanut butter like I like my trailsÖ

extra crunchy!

ok, smooth is good at times as well.

mtbr member
    Crunchy peanut butter with black berry jamb and by George's the black berry jamb better be crunchy too. I hate black berry jamb that isn't crunchy.
    I also like my mashed taters lumpy and with the skins on as well.
    We are talking mountain bikes here not road bikes after all.
    Last edited by huckleberry hound; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:13 AM.
    Change begins by doing something different.

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    Crunchy peanut butter with black berry jamb and by George's the black berry jamb better be crunchy too. I hate black berry jamb that isn't crunchy.
    I also like my mashed taters lumpy and with the skins on as well.
    We are talking mountain bikes here not road bikes after all.
    I lost my head there for a minute. Crunchy and burnt toast all the way.

Snow Dog
    yeah for me, peanut butter has to be creamy...jelly not jam <---so less roadie and more flowy singletrack

I don't mind lumpy potatoes, and definitely like crunchy toast. I also like crunchy, slightly burned cheese on anything

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    yeah for me, peanut butter has to be creamy...jelly not jam <---so less roadie and more flowy singletrack

I don't mind lumpy potatoes, and definitely like crunchy toast. I also like crunchy, slightly burned cheese on anything
    Dumb / silly things cyclists have done.

Cycologist

Go off on a tangent about peanut butter on a mountain bike site (yes, I'm guilty).

Go off on a tangent about peanut butter on a mountain bike site (yes, I'm guilty).
    JCD46 started this whole thing. We just helped it along.

Bikesexual
    JCD46 started this whole thing. We just helped it along.
    Ehem! Gloves, and a real dumb story. PBJ was yours

For the record, I hate PB.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I think many of the posts on https://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php qualify.

Ehem! Gloves, and a real dumb story. PBJ was yours

Lol
    True, I started the peanut butter conversation. You just gave me a platform to get it going.

And for the record my PB&J sammage on the cassette story may have been a fib.

mtbr member
    LOL, funny seeing how far off this thread gone with the PB&J part I'm guilty too
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Will swerve for leaves.

Bikesexual
    Why blur his face?
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Why blur his face?
    In case it's someone we know.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

Why blur his face?
    So we canít read his lips on what he screamed.

Cycologist

mtbr member
    Iíll often set a PB&J sammich on my cassette while taking a break.
    Just to set your mind at ease itís always been smooth with me.
    If you set your sammiches on the cassette, you must like some chunck, right? I mean is anyone's drivetrain that clean during a ride??

Bikesexual
    that took a while
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

that took a while
    I had to backtrack to see if I was in the right thread itís been so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacha Wacha Wacha View Post
    If you set your sammiches on the cassette, you must like some chunck, right? I mean is anyone's drivetrain that clean during a ride??
    Letís just say itís complicated.

mtbr member
    Letís just say itís complicated.
    Well obviously. How's a guy to choose between smooth, gritty, and chuncky??

Personally, I'm a fan of the breaded chicken cutlet style. Forget the PB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Have also had the regulator on my air compressor fail to maintain the 40 psi setting when seating a tubeless tire, resulting in putting enough pressure in a tubeless tire to blow it clean off the rim. End result, bruised hand, ringing ears, and a full body shower in Stan's sealant.

Did that with a tire that the bead blew off and I got a stans facial. very inappropriate looking. luckily I was wearing safety glasses.

not using a bike stand while working on your bike. bike tipped over, got my finger in the brake disk and had to get several stitches. Work stand would have been much cheaper.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Snow Dog
    back in the roof rack days, I had a couple snafu's

1. was real tired after a ride with lots of manuals and hucking. Got to the parking lot - which was pretty active - and was in the process of trying to get the bike on the roof. Arms were more hashed in the upright position than down, which I did not find out about until I lifted the bike up, and me and the bike came crashing down backwards off of the crate that I use to stand on...more embarrassing than stupid I guess,

2. same lot, different day...got the bike on the rack, and then got interrupted talking to the guy next to me avbout my bike, his bike, the roof rack etc...forgot to pull the arm down over the bike tire. Got in the car. Backed out, put the car in reverse, and shifted momentum, and the bike comes sliding down the side of the car. Decent sized scratches and scrapes on the car...no other damage tho, other than to ego as well

now I have the 1UP hitch rack so none of that is an issue anymore

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

I see this thread had went back to serious.

About 3 years ago after an amazing ride. Fatigued and back at the trailhead loading up. I usually remove the front wheel on the drivers side of the truck and lean the wheel against the rear left truck tire. Load the bike on the drivers side bed fork mount. Then load up the front wheel and the rest of my gear thatís sitting on the tailgate.

This day for some reason I removed the front wheel on the passenger side and leaned it against the passenger side rear wheel. Picked up the bike and carried it to the drivers side and loaded it up. Walked back to the tailgate and grabbed my gear and threw it in the back seat drivers side door. Ran around and shut the tailgate. Jumped in the drivers side and went to back up. I canít remember why I was in such a hurry to leave that day. As Iím backing I heard a strange clunking sound. I hit my brakes and immediately knew what I had done. Jumped out to see my front bike wheel had been ran over by my rear truck tire. Discussed with myself I just threw it in the truck and left.

Once I got home inspected for damage. The beefy Mavic EX729 rim was still true without any damage. The Chris King hub totally fine. The only damage was the Hope rotor was bent and the Salsa skewer was bent. Pretty cheap fix considering I had a brand new Hope rotor stored away. All I had to buy was a $30 new skewer. Better than a $400 wheel.

Barely in control
    Driving to the trail head and trying to put my bike together when the ta was sitting in the kitchen.

One ring to mash them all
    A riding buddy from years ago showed up to the trail head with a huge hole burned into the sidewall of the tire that hung too close to the exhaust pipe.

I also recall seeing a post from a rider who sheepishly admitted to showing up at a trail head with no bike on his bike carrier.

Those make me feel a little less silly about the time I was a mile into my ride and went to take a drink from my hydration pack, only to realize I had left it hanging on my bike carrier ó with wallet, keys and phone inside.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

Cycologist
    I posted not too long ago about a ride where I stopped to take a break after seven miles, before starting another trail. Went to put my helmet back on to ride and, couldn't find it. Rode the 1/2 mile back to my car; there it was.

Bikesexual
    Forgetting my shoes when I was wearing flip-flops. That was a pisser!

Now I have a bag to carry my stuff.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Barely in control
    Two times in the last couple of years I've been leaving the parking lot and someone had left their driver's door wide open. I always use gloved finger to hit the lock and shut it. Don't want to leave any prints in case the nanny state disagrees with my action.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of roof rack crashes with garage doors. Never done it because I use the truck/hitch mount types (because I'd totally trash my bikes on a roof rack) but the photo's always make me chuckle...

and then cry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The dumbest thing I've done is bought my wife a bike that never leaves the basement. Every time I see it, I think about all the new stuff I should have bought for me.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Those make me feel a little less silly about the time I was a mile into my ride and went to take a drink from my hydration pack, only to realize I had left it hanging on my bike carrier ó with wallet, keys and phone inside.
    I did something similar way back when I first started riding. I was riding with my brother and a friend on Anderson Truck Trail. I know you know that trail. A long 9 mile climb turn around and ride back down. After getting to the top we took a break. We then took off downhill. About a 1/4 of the way down I reached to take a sip from my Camelbak. No tube there, hit the skids only to realize I didnít have it. I remembered I left it up top hanging on a fence post. Luckily my brother slowed down and realized I wasnít there. He climbed back up a mile or so and found me struggling my way back up. He was in better shape so he let me rest and he rode back up to retrieve it for me. Doh!
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    I wonder how often "safety meetings" are responsible for these mishaps?
    I brake for stinkbugs

The dumbest thing I've done is bought my wife a bike that never leaves the basement. Every time I see it, I think about all the new stuff I should have bought for me.
    Use it to hang clothes on to dry.

Forgetting my shoes when I was wearing flip-flops. That was a pisser!

Now I have a bag to carry my stuff.

I forgot my helmet once. Rode anyway but was very cautious. It ruined my ride because it threw me off of my game.

www.ninjichor.com
    Got plenty of stories about cyclists falling into water crossings, or off bridges... not sure if they're considered dumb/stupid until it happens though.
    Disclaimer: I sell bike related stuff. 7% off with code: MTBRninja

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sending my bike end over end through a rock garden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was cleaning the chain with a rag on a fixed gear bike, holding on to the bottom of the chain and pedaling forward. The rag caught in the chain and sucked my thumb up in between the chain and the cog, where it jammed. After screaming for a few seconds, I had to reverse the crank to free my thumb. It was not pretty. I half severed the thumb, and I have permanent nerve damage in it. No feeling at all from the first knuckle to the tip of the thumb.

Don't do this.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Good advice.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I was cleaning the chain with a rag on a fixed gear bike, holding on to the bottom of the chain and pedaling forward. The rag caught in the chain and sucked my thumb up in between the chain and the cog, where it jammed. After screaming for a few seconds, I had to reverse the crank to free my thumb. It was not pretty. I half severed the thumb, and I have permanent nerve damage in it. No feeling at all from the first knuckle to the tip of the thumb.

Don't do this.
    Yeah, I've read about the dangers of working on fixed gear bikes. They can remove your fingers easily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Two times in the last couple of years I've been leaving the parking lot and someone had left their driver's door wide open. I always use gloved finger to hit the lock and shut it. Don't want to leave any prints in case the nanny state disagrees with my action.
    That is funny. One of my riding buddies did that. Not at the trailhead though. He and a couple of other guys met at a busy supermarket parking lot so they could carpool to the trailhead. Came back to his car about 4 hours later, and his car door was wide open. Amazingly enough, nothing was missing.
    No dig no whine

Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post

Don't do this.
    Try that on a dirt bike [motorcycle]. Many fingers have been lost or deformed because of it. Glad I grew up on dirt bikes and learned early on the danger of this. Bicycles are chump chains in comparison.

One ring to mash them all
    chump chains
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

No known cure
    Showing up to races and forgetting stuff.

Forgot my post/seat. I paid almost a hundo for generic replacements in Big Bear.

Forgot my thru axle on the rail of my fence while loading my bike in the trunk. I realized this after I registered for the race. Luckily, my GF was home and drove it over to Big Bear.

I realized I forgot my shoes back in Ashland at the hotel just before my start time at the 12 Mile Super D. I begged and pleaded and was able to race the sport class the next day, but the announcer announced over the loud speaker that, "Vader isn't racing today because he left his shoes back in town so he'll be sandbagging the sport class tomorrow."
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Me ride.
    Oct 2009
    Classic that my nephew will never live down (because I won't let him).
    I had a little two-seater Honda Prelude, first model year. Sat really low as it was stock.
    Nephew wanted to go biking with me, so he bought a new bike, a Nishiki, which he loved.
    I had a rack on the back, and he asked me to take him and bike to the bike shop for a free tuneup.
    Get to his house and ask if he wants me to load it for him.
    "Naw, I know what I'm doing!" and he proceeds to load it as I sit in the car.
    We get halfway there on the interstate, and hear a loud "POW!" outside.
    "What was that?" he asked.
    "I dunno."
    We get to the shop, he gets out to unload bike.
    "Awwwwwwwww, man!"
    And I look at the carnage. He'd loaded it with the front wheel hanging right in front of the muffler exhaust, and the heat had melted both tire and tube.
    "I thought you knew what you were doing?"
    "Shut up."

www.ninjichor.com
    I watched a video from "Singletrack Sampler" on youtube, in which he broke a Spot carbon MTB frame and got hurt (was fast and violent enough to break a piece of the carbon handlebar off). The frame was cracked at the seat tube. The verdict on the cause was from an underinflated shock, and repeated bottom-outs. There were comments on the video, stating that he was bottoming on mere 1' drops. Seems dumb/silly for people to blame the frame maker for such an incident.
    Disclaimer: I sell bike related stuff. 7% off with code: MTBRninja