Dry January 2020- Mtbr.com
    Rocks belong

Dry January 2020

This thread is to support your fellow riders who choose to embark on this 31 day endeavor. Nothing more, nothing less. Simply a means to reset and reflect.

Obligatory disclaimer:
    This isn't about getting into a 12 step program, or admitting you have a problem, or any of that stuff....it's more of a reset, or a cleanse, and maybe for some people a first step in making some bigger changes.

As with previous years, If you think it's stupid, have negative comments, want to argue, or want to sing the praises of alcohol, please move along.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 01-04-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I will join you in january. No alcohol for a month.

No known cure
    I'm in. I met someone. We're getting married and I want to be my best, look my best and save some cash. I also need a clear head.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I came here today actually looking to see if a thread like this would be a subject again. I did one in 2018 and it ended up being 8 dry months. I felt great and my workouts were much better. The thread that year was called, "30 day no alcohol challenge - 2018".

Thanks Hokie for posting this. I'm in!

Hi There!
    In.

I actually started yesterday and went to the Orange Bowl (Go Gators!) without drinking.

I usually keep it going until I go to the Daytona 500 which is February 16th this year.

Good luck all.
    NTFTC

I am Walt
    In, for the third year in a row!

Iím no teetotaler, and truly enjoy craft beer and the occasional mixed drink, but have found that Dry January provides a fantastic reboot to kick off each year, and leaves me very lean and energized to accomplish my goals for the year.

Happy New Year to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

High Desert MTBer
    Less booze being drunk is always better in my book. My hope is it may lead to a realization that it's good to keep the abstention going! Good luck to all of you! It really is great being sober
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Today is day 1200 of sobriety. New Yearís Eve? No problem.

Do your 30 days and enjoy!

I like and enjoy all my hobbies even more once sober.

HNY, all!

mtbr member
    In!

Less money spent on alcohol means more available to spend on coffee . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    In!

And bike parts... I'm in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    In. Time to reset after polishing off the rest of the PBR tall-boys last night!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    In for a third year here as well. I've really enjoyed it the past two. Not only do I reflect on consumption and set myself up for good habits throughout the year, I also lose a few pounds and gain a few bucks over the month.

I've never found it particularly difficult, any time I find myself getting close to giving in I just remind myself it's only one month and that there is absolutely nothing worth gaining that can be lost by not consuming alcohol.

This year I'm throwing social media (not counting Strava or a forum check-in here and there) and soda in as well. Those will be much harder, but potentially much more rewarding. I'd like to stop drinking soda for good, social media will be back on in February but hopefully at a MUCH reduced level.

Good luck to everyone!

mtbr member
    Yup. I'm in. Already made it nearly 36 hours! ;-)

I'm a big fan of Athletic Brewing's non-alcoholic IPA. Definitely will help me get through January (though I drink it year round also). Highly recommended, and if you buy a case they'll ship for free.

https://athleticbrewing.com/collections/beer

Nothing seems to kill me
    I'm in, did this last year until Superbowl then had 4 IPAs ( one per quarter) and then didn't touch any until mid June. Gonna try it again this year. Good luck everyone.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

Rocks belong
    Encouraging to see those who are joining and their reasoning for doing so

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I'm in. I met someone. We're getting married and I want to be my best, look my best and save some cash. I also need a clear head.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott36 View Post
    I did one in 2018 and it ended up being 8 dry months. I felt great and my workouts were much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    have found that Dry January provides a fantastic reboot to kick off each year, and leaves me very lean and energized to accomplish my goals for the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoVelo View Post
    And bike parts... I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Not only do I reflect on consumption and set myself up for good habits throughout the year, I also lose a few pounds and gain a few bucks over the month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    in for the third year in a row.

CEO Product Failure
    I'm in for all the right reasons! I plan on breaking the "fast" on Superbowl Sunday which coincides with the start of my birthday week. :-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBullottaPA View Post

I'm a big fan of Athletic Brewing's non-alcoholic IPA. Definitely will help me get through January (though I drink it year round also). Highly recommended, and if you buy a case they'll ship for free.

Their Upside Dawn is better than the IPA IMO. If you have Total Wine near you, they should stock it.

For medical reasons Iíve been sober since August 2017. Iíve had maybe 3 full beers in that time, and Iíll have a sip off my wifeís occasionally. I loved craft beer and having to make a sudden a change was a little hard. But Iíve found craft NA beers and that segment has been growing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    13 years in, so a month is not a challenge. our goal this year is just a simple 600 miles on mnt bikes this year. hook or crook 600 is due

always licking the glass
    Iím in. Need to have a clear head for a while anyway.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

I am Walt

Iím going to try this...thanks for the rec! Total Wine near me carries it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

The Voice of Reason
    3rd year for me as well. the first couple of days are iffy but after that, no problem. it usually runs a few months just because. i'm also going to try sugar-free february. that one is going to be tough. good luck everyone!
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    I started Jan 1 as well so this is day 5. Doing it to help jumpstart weight loss. Iím also doing the ride every day in January so a good compliment. Itís been easy except for when watching football or sitting in the jacuzzi. Even went to a comedy club on Friday. Was nice to be a designated driver for once since I am normally the first person to say, ďNOT ME!Ē
    Strive CF 8 / Farley EX 8
    2020 Dry January 2020 (success!)
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    I had good intentions but went out with friends and had a family party; one cocktail and one beer total. I'll keep trying but I like the idea!
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Was REALLY tough during the Seahawks game yesterday, especially since the wife was drinking her way through some of our better beers. Pure torture. At one point, she looked right at me and said, "You know you want one" ... EVIL!!!!! It was in good natured fun, but in all honesty it was a crisis moment but I prevailed!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I had good intentions but went out with friends and had a family party; one cocktail and one beer total. I'll keep trying but I like the idea!
    Don't be discouraged. Even if one resolves to simply cut back in January (vs. abstain), the self reflection and temporary lifestyle adjustment is what we're all going for. No judgement if you end up having a drink during January

I tend to look to alcohol after long stressful days. So for January, I'm trying to turn to a lunch session on the elliptical or an evening run with the dog followed by hot tea. But I don't intend to be a social recluse - so if a buddy is visiting and insists I join him for a beer at a micro-brewery, I'll probably cave. Just no couch IPA's (or 4) on Tuesday nights like I was doing in October/November/December.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Don't be discouraged. Even if one resolves to simply cut back in January (vs. abstain), the self reflection and temporary lifestyle adjustment is what we're all going for. No judgement if you end up having a drink during January

I tend to look to alcohol after long stressful days. So for January, I'm trying to turn to a lunch session on the elliptical or an evening run with the dog followed by hot tea. But I don't intend to be a social recluse - so if a buddy is visiting and insists I join him for a beer at a micro-brewery, I'll probably cave. Just no couch IPA's (or 4) on Tuesday nights like I was doing in October/November/December.
    Nailed it!

I'm hard-headed so caving is unlikely just because it'd bruise my ego, but if it did happen it wouldn't impact my feelings about the success of my 'dry January.' The goal (at least it seems like for the vast majority of us) is to start the year a little healthier and more cognizant of intake - even a few drinks don't change that.

I think I mentioned I threw soda and social media on the list as well this year thinking it'd give me a nice reset for the year. So far it has been great and I realized something - since I don't drink coffee I'm actually caffeine free as well. I'm looking forward to how my body feels after a month of no caffeine and no alcohol - haven't been free of both for that long in my adult life.

mtbr member
    I'm in, no beer now for a little more than a week which is no real issue, but I also stopped coffee and plan on not doing either for 90+ days.

The coffee is what I miss.

Meatbomb
    We do a 2 week cleanse every quarter. No good stuff is what it comes down too.. Alcohol, Dairy, Sweets, Sugars , Meets... pretty much Vegan.

I don't like it but do it for the wife. I miss my peanut M&M's the most

mtbr member
    One week down as of tonight. Probably the longest Iíve gone without alcohol since my early 20s.
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

beater
    Iím onboard this year to kickstart some fitness goals. Itís just for the month, though. I just bought some nice cocktail hardware from Cocktail Kingdom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    I'm in, no beer now for a little more than a week which is no real issue, but I also stopped coffee and plan on not doing either for 90+ days.

The coffee is what I miss.
    I gave up liquor for life, but donít mess with my coffee!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    One week down as of tonight. Probably the longest Iíve gone without alcohol since my early 20s.
    Same was true of me three years ago when I first did this, it's a little shocking to realize that and feels great IMO!

Everyone else get the intensely vivid dreams? Every year I forget how crazy it is, but it definitely seems that the cause is that I'm in REM sleep a lot more of my night - which results in much better rest. Feeling great!

mtbr member

Sounds good. I was never into it too hard (maybe a few times a week), but would still love to cut back. Peer pressure is the biggest detractor on the weekends...

Meatbomb

Everyone else get the intensely vivid dreams? Every year I forget how crazy it is, but it definitely seems that the cause is that I'm in REM sleep a lot more of my night - which results in much better rest. Feeling great!
    I'm the opposite. I find it very hard to get to sleep without a couple scotchs turning off my brain. Why I go off the hooch for a few weeks the first week or so is me arguing with my brain until 4 am when I finally get exhausted enough to fall asleep. After about a week or so it stops yelling at me to solve all the problems daily life brings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I'm the opposite. I find it very hard to get to sleep without a couple scotchs turning off my brain. Why I go off the hooch for a few weeks the first week or so is me arguing with my brain until 4 am when I finally get exhausted enough to fall asleep. After about a week or so it stops yelling at me to solve all the problems daily life brings.
    Speaking from experience it's when you wake up at 3 or 4am and the only way you can get back to sleep is with a scotch or a beer. Red flag for sure that your body and every cell is adapted to alcohol.

Anyhow, good luck to all you abstainers! A great thing to do if just for a month to see if you can do it or simply for better health or achieving a goal.

Year 6 for me but I salute you!

mtbr member
    Same was true of me three years ago when I first did this, it's a little shocking to realize that and feels great IMO!

No changes in dreams, but my enjoyment and glee at opening the refrigerator have been totally killed. Choosing a beer is half the fun of it!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=rockman;14506873]Red flag for sure that your body and every cell is adapted to alcohol.

/QUOTE]

This.
    If your sleepless symptoms subside after a week sans alcohol I'd be very mindful of going back to a routine of consuming to sleep.

I'm with natas. I find giving up coffee more difficult and more symptomatic. I also find stopping long term to have a bigger impact on my overall well being. A lot of that may be habitual consumption vs occasional but caffeine is addictive and rewires your brain accordingly.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Coffee is the poor man's HGH since it actually has been scientifically studied and proven to increase HGH production / uptake when used in combination with exercise (pre being most effective). No I am not kidding:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3761732/

In addition, there are many other health benefits to caffeine:

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/7-g...o-drink-coffee

Yes, if you over do it, there are some negative effects of caffeine, but they are SO FAR outweighed by the positive, it is not uncommon in the academia / research worlds for people to say (seriously), "People who don't drink coffee live a lower quality of life."

I'll give up coffee when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I have a one year old and wear too many hats on any given day, while also trying to ride myself into the ground each week - getting to sleep is easy these days.

That said, I've definitely been there. No judgement here, but I do think that most shrinks would say that's an indication to be wary of. Maybe a quick pedal around the block with a couple sprints would help wear you down some?

No changes in dreams, but my enjoyment and glee at opening the refrigerator have been totally killed. Choosing a beer is half the fun of it!
    I'm always excited when I open the fridge, there could be meatloaf in there!

Coffee is the poor man's HGH since it actually has been scientifically studied and proven to increase HGH production / uptake when used in combination with exercise (pre being most effective). No I am not kidding:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3761732/

In addition, there are many other health benefits to caffeine:

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/7-g...o-drink-coffee

Yes, if you over do it, there are some negative effects of caffeine, but they are SO FAR outweighed by the positive, it is not uncommon in the academia / research worlds for people to say (seriously), "People who don't drink coffee live a lower quality of life."

I'll give up coffee when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Very interesting. Personally I think caffeine is a classic example of something we don't need until we have it. I consume very little caffeine but feel like I 'need it' a couple days a week normally. Now that I'm without it I find I have more energy and more consistent energy so I don't need it at all. That might not be the case if I was a more serious user, but getting rid of the 3-6 cokes I typically drink in a week seems to be a net gain for me. (That said, I'm not drinking alcohol or doing social media and I'm sure both are helping my energy as well.)

mtbr member
    Yeah I would definitely say that coffee as your delivery intake is much better (healthier) than using soda.
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

NedwannaB
    Late to the party but great thread! Subscribed.👍
    I may just have to join in. But first I need to wash down my sammich with this Oskars Dale's Pale. 🙄
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    it has been tough, lost a bud on January 1st. the recent avy at the local ski resort that killed 3 people is reminding me of my friends that have died in avys. Went to lunch today with an old business mentor who is dying. So much death around me is depressing.

G_T
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    it has been tough, lost a bud on January 1st. the recent avy at the local ski resort that killed 3 people is reminding me of my friends that have died in avys. Went to lunch today with an old business mentor who is dying. So much death around me is depressing.
    Hang in there, these times and this season can get you down. Hopefully you have some friends or family to spend time with and/or a dry trail, powdery slope, or meaningful place to get out of your head for a while. Life has so many ups and downs and I hope you find a few bright spots soon.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    Very sorry and that definitely must be tough. I won't pretend to know how you should handle it, but in case it might be helpful I will give what my thought process would be if it were me - alcohol is not a productive way to deal with those emotions anyway, so it may be a good thing that it's happening during a period you wanted to stay 'dry.'

I wish you luck and hope some positive events are right around the corner to help balance out your spirits a bit better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So, 11 days - 1 day = 10 days! Went to see the Banff Mountain Film Festival last weekend and let myself have a Bent Paddle!

Every time I take a break from beer, I am always amazed at how much better I sleep at night and how much more rested I feel in the morning. I sometimes think I would like to cut alcohol out for good, but honestly it is my only real favorite treat. I don't care for sweets, chips, soda, sugary coffee, or junk food... but a couple or 3 beers is what I look forward to. In the meantime, been drinking lots of sparkling water, riding my bike a fair amount, and doing a whole bunch of yoga to keep myself in check.

Keep on keeping on!

mtbr member
    Ughh 11 days in. Watching football without beer is like masturbating with no hands. Itís just not as fun!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Hi There!
    Ughh 11 days in. Watching football without beer is like masturbating with no hands. Itís just not as fun!
    Been there myself, but a few years ago someone asked me: why do you have to have alcohol to have fun when doing this or that? I couldn't really think of a good answer.

I've been doing Dry January since before it was even called that, never had a problem. However, yesterday on the way to the trails I passed a WaWa that is one of the only places around that has my favorite beer...thought about it for about 5 seconds. While I was riding I knew I was doing so much better and having so much more fun than if I would have caved.
    NTFTC

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Carve It Up View Post
    So, 11 days - 1 day = 10 days! Went to see the Banff Mountain Film Festival last weekend and let myself have a Bent Paddle!

Every time I take a break from beer, I am always amazed at how much better I sleep at night and how much more rested I feel in the morning. I sometimes think I would like to cut alcohol out for good, but honestly it is my only real favorite treat. I don't care for sweets, chips, soda, sugary coffee, or junk food... but a couple or 3 beers is what I look forward to. In the meantime, been drinking lots of sparkling water, riding my bike a fair amount, and doing a whole bunch of yoga to keep myself in check.

Keep on keeping on!
    Chin up - No judgement and you're still welcome.

We're here for reflection. A reset. You've noticed how much better you sleep sans booze, that's a worthwhile lesson. I don't intend to continue going dry, as I honestly enjoy having drinks with friends, so it isn't sustainable for me. If I can use this month to convince myself that my future plan is no alcohol on the weeknights, then I'm happy.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 01-12-2020 at 09:34 PM.

beater
    Last week I had four extracurricular meetings: two different trail user collaboratives, our weekly nonprofit meeting, and a beerfest planning meeting that benefits trail projects. Beer was on offer at all four. I canít say I found it very hard to pass, and Iím not counting the days or anything. But I will definitely enjoy my first beer or cocktail in February.

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

Approaching the conclusion of my second week. In addition to Dry January, I also fast this month. Which means, I juice mostly veggies and a few fruits three times daily for my nutrition. This is my 4th year doing this and is my primary way to maintain weight. My weight creeps up 14-15lbs every year. Juicy for 30 days will drop about a 1lb per day. Then I eat whole(30) foods until spring.

On the activity side, I've been riding indoor 1-2 hrs daily. A combination of Zwift and spin classes. I'm an indoor cycling coach and January we launch new music. I've spent the last two weeks practicing choreography. Also, got a new bike for Christmas and...crashed it New Years Day. Bruised my tibia and have some nerve damage in my shin. Basically I've lost feeling in my shin or it feels like a wicked charlie horse.

Have not craved nor wanted a beer. Solid food would be nice. A leg that doesn't give out going up/down stairs would be great. But still I anxiously watch for the release of Hopslam. Ending both Dry January and my fasting on Super Bowl Sunday.

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Well, I'm a weekend social drinker and it's hard to bail on it. I'm out.

mtbr member
    I'm not ashamed to say I miss beer. Anyone who thinks its just about alcohol hasn't tasted a good stout. I can honestly say I drink beer for the taste more than anything else!

Since Seattle lost yesterday, I won't have to endure football without beer for the rest of the month. Day 13 ... the struggle continues!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    I'm not ashamed to say I miss beer. Anyone who thinks its just about alcohol hasn't tasted a good stout. I can honestly say I drink beer for the taste more than anything else!

Since Seattle lost yesterday, I won't have to endure football without beer for the rest of the month. Day 13 ... the struggle continues!

Problem solved:

https://shopusa.brewdog.com/collections/alcohol-free

Their beers are legitimately tasty.

mtbr member
    Holy Shit Brewdog has a NA Stout? Order in progress, thanks for link!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Uhh not sure if there is a minimum purchase but figured I would try all three Brewdog 6'ers and saw this:

Dry January 2020-na-beer-order.jpg

The Nanny State 6'er was free for Dry January! Super psyched to try them. They are on the way!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    I was pretty impressed with the Bravus NA stout. Would definitely drink regardless of it's alcohol content.

https://www.totalwine.com/beer/non-a...0&igrules=true

mtbr member
    I was pretty impressed with the Bravus NA stout. Would definitely drink regardless of it's alcohol content.

No delivery in CA, bah, I'll check and see if I can find it in a shop within reasonable drive.
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

beater
    Iíd be curious to try them as a week day option down the road but I think Iíll wait until next month. If Iím going to do this dry month, I donít want a crutch. Subbing in a NA option feels like methadone, at least the way Iím approaching this.

beater
    no judgement if that comes across that way. Whatever works for people. I just feel that for me this month is about demonstrating control of behavior as much as actual consumption. I usually have several dry nights a week, and often Iíll have an orange La Croix with a few dashes of bitters. Thatís a fairly tasty cocktail substitute.

mtbr member
    IMO without alcohol isn't it really just a differently flavored soda? I get the "mental control" thing as well, but I get that every time I open the fridge and see my beer shelve bursting with my favorites and can't have one lol!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    IMO without alcohol isn't it really just a differently flavored soda? I get the "mental control" thing as well, but I get that every time I open the fridge and see my beer shelve bursting with my favorites and can't have one lol!
    I just enjoy the buzz once or twice a week (weekend eves).

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I canít say I found it very hard to pass, and Iím not counting the days or anything.
    I have not been seriously tempted yet, and likely won't, but I am counting the days.

mtbr member

I had this last night. Definitely a decent substitute. I went to BevMo and grabbed their Stout, White Ale (wheat), and Raspberry Gose. Found another brewery with a NA porter. Going to work my way through them over the next few days and see which one I like the best. The reasons I typically drink stouts is because you can't "pound" a stout. Its more for sipping and that's a good thing, slow me down!

Oh and Brewdogs emailed me this. If you order, enjoy 10% off on me

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dry January 2020-brewdogs-friends.jpg  

2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    I will join you in january. No alcohol for a month.
    Im still dry. Havent missed the beer much. But being sick w the flu has been helping im sure.

Should make it to the end of the month no problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Soooo. You switched to watching football while....

thank heavens the super bowl is in February or it could have made for quite the awkward event.

I am Walt
    Over halfway there; two weeks left! Hasnít been an issue for me, as this is my third Dry January, and Iím committed to it. In my opinion, the commitment is what matters, in the event Iím tempted. I just remember that I set a goal, and made a commitment to myself, and the moment passes. But I really havenít been tempted, as Iím enjoying the break, and reaping the benefits - much better sleep, good energy, and a ďcleanĒ feeling, overall.

But donít get me wrong - Iím looking forward to a beer (or 3) when the month is over. As it turns out, a local craft brewery is opening a tap room just minutes from me, and Iíve been watching the buildout and waiting for months...only to have the grand opening be this weekend! FOCK!!! But meh...itís only two weeks to wait, after waiting all these months for a Hop Chowda, New England Hazy IPA (one of my fave beers).

Also, if I can get through the going-away karaoke party for my son last weekend, prior to his going back into the military, and do ďsober karaokeĒ, I can handle any temptations! LOL!

Good luck to all, and keep it up!

Ride more; post less...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Hasnít been an issue for me, as this is my third Dry January, and Iím committed to it. In my opinion, the commitment is what matters, in the event Iím tempted. I just remember that I set a goal, and made a commitment to myself, and the moment passes.
    This! That's my favorite part about it each year - just setting a goal and sticking to it. Good to remind yourself you can do that from time to time.

Went to a brewery for a trails meeting last night... Usually I'd spend $15 on two beers at these, this time I spent $15 on a burger and some cheese fries. I've gotta admit, it was a much better way to spend $15.

I am thinking with January 31st on a Friday, and Friday being my favorite night to have a couple beers, I will probably end my prohibition 6 or so hours early. It will basically come down to weather - gotta ride in for my shop shift (we usually have one or two while closing up) otherwise I'd be concerned about even one with a low tolerance and the drive home.

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

I tried a NA-IPA last night, it was OK. I wouldn't have normally sought it out but I may keep it in regular rotation for a variety of issues: 1. sometimes you want a beer but not the alcohol---case in point, dry january or quenching a thirst post ride at the trail head (and wanting to avoid a DUI). 2. Sometimes you're at your limit but want to continue to enjoy a beer. 3. Never considered this one, but I'd often like a beer at lunch. During working hours, a NA IPA is no better/different than a Coke.

FWIW, I purchased a 4 pack of NA IPA from Wellbeing Brewing in StL. Its decent but by no means, is it your reg IPA.

Last item...BrewDog. Here's an interesting read on them--personally, I avoid them. There's tons more info on them in Reddit but this article is factual (vs Reddit which is the wild wild west).

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ise-of-brewdog

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't do the dry January myself.

But my rule for Jan-April (weight loss season) is that I cannot bring beer home. I can go out for a beer, I can drink beer at a friends. But no beer in the house.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    I had an OíDouls for the first time tonight. Pretty sure itís the most true to beer style of anything I have tried before. Was surprisingly good!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I don't do the dry January myself.

But my rule for Jan-April (weight loss season) is that I cannot bring beer home. I can go out for a beer, I can drink beer at a friends. But no beer in the house.
    So you just buy a 12 pack and stash it under a log on your favorite trail?

Rocks belong
    I like that and think I'll adopt it through Feb or even Q1.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So you just buy a 12 pack and stash it under a log on your favorite trail?
    That is totally within the rules.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

beater
    Tailgate beer #3+ is where I see a role for the NA options. I took advantage of the Brewdogs special. Athletic is sold out for a while.

mtbr member
    The fatigue of not having my favorite beers is setting in. The other day I sat looking longing in the garage beer fridge. However, I stayed strong and grabbed a NA. Without the NA, I probably wouldíve cracked lol!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    That is totally within the rules.
    I like your style, dude. I may adopt that rule for a bit too. The beers I enjoy most are always on the trails, at home it's more just for ritual.

mtbr member
    I normally drink BBA Stouts (Founders KBS/CBS, Modern Times Monster Park, Mikkeller Vanilla Shake, etc.) or Sours (Duchesse De Bourgogne, Russian River Supplication, Consecration, etc.) My wife and I keep things fresh and try new beers by using Tavour and general browsing BevMo and a local liquor store with a great selection of high end beers.

My wife and I had a philosophical discussion last night while I salivating while watching her drink a CBS and I had a Bravus Stout. The purpose of beer in my life was best characterized by my wife. Beer to us is "Evening Coffee". We stand in front of the fridge and ponder the choice. Once selected, I take them into our bar and select the appropriate glassware (part of the fun). I pour them, usually take a picture to post to Untappd. We cheers Swiss style, direct eye contact, sipping before putting the glassware down and give our initial impressions. Then it's settle in and enjoy the brew while I post the reviews to Untappd. We are still doing it, but I really miss the diversity and discovery of new beers

On to Dry January 2020, which has been good for me. Of the six different NAs I've tried, here is my preference.

#1 - O'Douls: This was a shocker for me. I literally think it is better tasting than any national lager (BMC) and on par with foreign lagers, which I typically prefer, e.g. Pacifico, Corona, Chang, etc.

#2 - Bravus Stout: Took a bit of time to get used to, but now starting to like it. It's got a weird taste I don't normally associated with beer that takes a bit to get used to.

#3 - Bravus Raspberry Gose: Has a nice flavor but a more subtle, but similar, aftertaste that is present in the Bravus Stout. Not sure what it is.

#4 - Bravus White Ale: Pur aftertaste described above. Not good.

#5 - Surreal Brewing 17 Mile Porter: This is unfiltered and pours like dirty water. Honestly, not too far off from that taste as well. Really not good.

My Brewdogs shipment comes in tomorrow so I'll report back. Honestly, don't think I would've made it this far without the NAs. This has been a VERY pleasant surprise for me to find. I will definitely be maintaining a stock of my favorite NAs in the future for when i just want to have something but not necessarily want the alcohol.

I totally agree these will be brought for tailgating after rides in the future!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    I normally drink BBA Stouts (Founders KBS/CBS, Modern Times Monster Park, Mikkeller Vanilla Shake, etc.) or Sours (Duchesse De Bourgogne, Russian River Supplication, Consecration, etc.) My wife and I keep things fresh and try new beers by using Tavour and general browsing BevMo and a local liquor store with a great selection of high end beers.

My wife and I had a philosophical discussion last night while I salivating while watching her drink a CBS and I had a Bravus Stout. The purpose of beer in my life was best characterized by my wife. Beer to us is "Evening Coffee". We stand in front of the fridge and ponder the choice. Once selected, I take them into our bar and select the appropriate glassware (part of the fun). I pour them, usually take a picture to post to Untappd. We cheers Swiss style, direct eye contact, sipping before putting the glassware down and give our initial impressions. Then it's settle in and enjoy the brew while I post the reviews to Untappd. We are still doing it, but I really miss the diversity and discovery of new beers

On to Dry January 2020, which has been good for me. Of the six different NAs I've tried, here is my preference.

#1 - O'Douls: This was a shocker for me. I literally think it is better tasting than any national lager (BMC) and on par with foreign lagers, which I typically prefer, e.g. Pacifico, Corona, Chang, etc.

#2 - Bravus Stout: Took a bit of time to get used to, but now starting to like it. It's got a weird taste I don't normally associated with beer that takes a bit to get used to.

#3 - Bravus Raspberry Gose: Has a nice flavor but a more subtle, but similar, aftertaste that is present in the Bravus Stout. Not sure what it is.

#4 - Bravus White Ale: Pur aftertaste described above. Not good.

#5 - Surreal Brewing 17 Mile Porter: This is unfiltered and pours like dirty water. Honestly, not too far off from that taste as well. Really not good.

My Brewdogs shipment comes in tomorrow so I'll report back. Honestly, don't think I would've made it this far without the NAs. This has been a VERY pleasant surprise for me to find. I will definitely be maintaining a stock of my favorite NAs in the future for when i just want to have something but not necessarily want the alcohol.

I totally agree these will be brought for tailgating after rides in the future!
    You'll dig the Brewdogs. Solid across the board. I strongly recommend trying the Athletic Brewing NA beers - very, very good.

mtbr member
    You'll dig the Brewdogs. Solid across the board. I strongly recommend trying the Athletic Brewing NA beers - very, very good.
    Will do, thanks for the heads up!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Checked local BevMo for Athletic Brewing NAs, no go. Picked up a few new ones. Hairless Dog Coffee Stout ... not a fan. Super umami.

Dry January 2020-57d6b3bd-2f8d-4d42-b603-832614e012a7.jpeg
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Damn, gotta say the NA reviews just look/sound like tasty beers on the interwebz. Not the most helpful thing for this thread to drift into.

I turned down an NA over the weekend. This is just my personal take so I'm in no way saying others should feel the same, however for me the abstinence is for 'beer' as much as it is alcohol. That's part of why I threw soda in too - it feels good to remind myself that water is my favorite beverage.

beater
    Damn, gotta say the NA reviews just look/sound like tasty beers on the interwebz. Not the most helpful thing for this thread to drift into.

I turned down an NA over the weekend. This is just my personal take so I'm in no way saying others should feel the same, however for me the abstinence is for 'beer' as much as it is alcohol. That's part of why I threw soda in too - it feels good to remind myself that water is my favorite beverage.
    My approach is the same. Iím expecting a delivery of the 3 different Brewdogs varieties today and have some Athletic coming after that, but Iím going to stash them in the basement with my other beers. I just wanted to take advantage of January sales. Theyíll be useful alternatives for tailgating and meetings.

I met a visiting friend at my favorite taproom last weekend. I had a LaCroix without any regrets.

My conflicted feelings about a dry January havenít changed. I think that if youíll need the reset, your relationship with alcohol isnít as healthy as you think. Thatís probably why Iím skipping the NA alternatives, too. But the reduced calories are helping me get back on track this hear.

mtbr member
    Tried Two Roots Mango Dango IPA (NA). Now that's a winner!

https://www.tworootsbrewingco.com/products/mango-dango
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I think that if youíll need the reset, your relationship with alcohol isnít as healthy as you think.
    Conversely, if you take up the reset on your own with no outside pressure then your relationship isn't as unhealthy as you may think. It's a pretty arbitrary thing, I could grab one when I get home and no one is gonna say a word to me about it - I'm just doing it for me. That said, if you decide to do it on your own and find it overly difficult that may be an indication of something.

Basically, I'm just saying kudos to all who decided to do this for no good reason other than they wanted to. Even if it's the start of a longer journey, it's a start.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Here is a challenge for you. Now that were getting close.

Put one of your favourite beers in the fridge or on the counter so you have to look at it frequently during your day.

What effect does it have on you.
    Is it easy to walk away.
    How do you feel after seeing it.

Rocks belong

Put one of your favourite beers in the fridge or on the counter so you have to look at it frequently during your day.

Is it easy to walk away.
    My whiskey bottles are currently hidden from sight. There, I said it.

mtbr member

Is it easy to walk away.
    Impulse control.

I'm jealous of those who have it. For those that don't, it's difficult for those that do to understand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    My kids seem to be able to leave the left overs alone in the fridge. Not so much for a can of pop! I think its something that can be overcome

beater
    My whiskey bottles are currently hidden from sight. There, I said it.
    Mine are visible behind glass doors. I have a couple decanters on top of the sideboard, too. In fact I can see them while reading in bed (we have a remodeled Victorian with the MBR off the dining room). In the last few years Iíve shifted away from beer at home and more towards spirits - at least for contemplative sipping. Ten or even 5 years ago I generally just had a handful of scotch and bourbon bottles in the back of a cabinet, but theyíre much more prominent now.

Conversely, if you take up the reset on your own with no outside pressure then your relationship isn't as unhealthy as you may think. It's a pretty arbitrary thing, I could grab one when I get home and no one is gonna say a word to me about it - I'm just doing it for me. That said, if you decide to do it on your own and find it overly difficult that may be an indication of something.

Basically, I'm just saying kudos to all who decided to do this for no good reason other than they wanted to. Even if it's the start of a longer journey, it's a start.
    Fair point.

mtbr member
    My kids seem to be able to leave the left overs alone in the fridge. Not so much for a can of pop! I think its something that can be overcome
    That's what I used to think. Getting back to your previous post if you don't have impulse control than you have a problem.

That's why alcoholics can't drink in moderation. Plain and simple. You might want to change. You think you can change. But the reality is you can't. But hey, I hate to be a Debbie downer and this thread is about a living a healthy lifestyle. Kudos to everyone that is still on track to make their goals. For those that are not then ....think about it. Or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I was never an alcoholic, but still didn't like just having a few. been dry for 13 years but a week ago I almost fell off, it was a tough week. managed to hold it together.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about the average cravings lasting only 7 minutes part because I used to think about my next drink all day long but this is an interesting read. https://www.outsideonline.com/240779...rm=READ%20MORE

And it's too funny, I do find myself in the kitchen at parties doing the dishes. Anything to stay busy. Idle hands is the devil's workshop!

mtbr member
    Still no beer and really have not missed it but I really miss my coffee (8weeks now).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014

Is it easy to walk away.
    I've got any number of alcoholic beverages in front of me that are mine to drink if I choose throughout the week. Really doesn't have much effect other than thinking 'not yet.' I am weak-willed for sure, but I may be even more stubborn!

mtbr member
    I find alcohol more tempting day 3 through 5 or so when abstaining. Once it's out my system, say 1-2 weeks, that conscious inter dialogue to not drink doesn't enter the equation. I do enjoy the deep in beers but have no problem with 1 and done either. I

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Checked local BevMo for Athletic Brewing NAs, no go. Picked up a few new ones. Hairless Dog Coffee Stout ... not a fan. Super umami.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57D6B3BD-2F8D-4D42-B603-832614E012A7.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	1306717
    I got their porter and itís pretty good. All the NAís I drink, the darker beers are further away from their alcoholic cousins.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    I was never an alcoholic, but still didn't like just having a few. been dry for 13 years but a week ago I almost fell off, it was a tough week. managed to hold it together.
    Well done.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    My wifeís been drinking regular beers the whole time and we have tons of really really good beer in our regular fridge. I canít open the door without seeing them!

Eh? Iím not playing by anyone elseís rules but my own. Got the Brewdog shipment, their stout is the dark beer winner for sure!

Dry January 2020-4cb5d914-7a3c-48b0-b5fd-201c055a99cb.jpeg
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    I'm a dry 34 years.....
    20 years without coffee
    4 years ditching refined sugar.

Yes. When I do something, I do it to ridiculous levels.

What's my secret? Dogged, unrelenting stubbornness.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    My wifeís been drinking regular beers the whole time and we have tons of really really good beer in our regular fridge. I canít open the door without seeing them!

Eh? Iím not playing by anyone elseís rules but my own. Got the Brewdog shipment, their stout is the dark beer winner for sure!

Name:	4CB5D914-7A3C-48B0-B5FD-201C055A99CB.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	339.1 KB 
ID:	1306917
    It doesn't strike you as odd that you're turning a thread about abstaining into a beer (NA, but I see little difference when discussing the same flavor profiles and posting pictures that are indistinguishable over the internet) review thread? I'm glad you are enjoying the experimentation and I'll admit it likely has no ill effect on anyone here... But it just seems to go against the spirit of this thread to me. Pictures of beer are certainly not what I am anticipating when I check this thread, I can't be the only one.

Could I politely suggest that you create an NA thread in the beer forum and link it here?

I am Walt

Is it easy to walk away.
    Iíve got a fridge full of beer, and it has zero impact on me. I donít have any pull to drink, and am simple enjoying the ďcleanseĒ. I donít have a problem, whatsoever; itís just become a goal for each new year. No big deal at all, really.

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    It doesn't strike you as odd that you're turning a thread about abstaining into a beer (NA, but I see little difference when discussing the same flavor profiles and posting pictures that are indistinguishable over the internet) review thread? I'm glad you are enjoying the experimentation and I'll admit it likely has no ill effect on anyone here... But it just seems to go against the spirit of this thread to me. Pictures of beer are certainly not what I am anticipating when I check this thread, I can't be the only one.

Could I politely suggest that you create an NA thread in the beer forum and link it here?
    I disagree completely; Dry January is indeed about abstaining, but relative to alcohol, not NA beer. And the exchanges about NA beer are simply about options during said period of (alcohol) abstainment (yes, I made up that word). I think itís totally relevant and informational and entertaining.

Ride more; post less...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I disagree completely; Dry January is indeed about abstaining, but relative to alcohol, not NA beer. And the exchanges about NA beer are simply about options during said period of (alcohol) abstainment (yes, I made up that word). I think itís totally relevant and informational and entertaining.

I understand that perspective. Maybe I'll just move on (abstain from the abstain thread if you will) if that's the consensus. I like the discussions about the benefits of abstaining, the challenges, etc. that have been the norm in these threads in previous years, but even when I am drinking I care very little about others' reviews of beers - it's certainly not something I want to read while I'm in a state of abstainment.

mtbr member
    NA beer is a Band-Aid and while not as bad, still a bunch of empty calories.

mtbr member
    I guess Iím seeing it differently. NA beer has been a revelation to me and I wonder how many other people would drink it if they knew that itís not the watered down shit of the past? I also drink tons of water, but sometimes I want something with flavor. Not an overly sweet soda, something I can sip as I browse the interwebs or watch TV. In the past, that meant a *real* beer. Now? I have another option. NA is less than half the calories at ~ 55-100 per can. Thatís actually not that bad at all!

Seems like some look at Dry January as a means of breaking out of alcoholism or behavior that is trending towards that or sustaining abstinence. Thatís a legitimate way to look at it for sure. Iím looking at it from the give my body a rest from alcohol but I was never worried about my drinking habits before this and this just gives me even more healthy options.
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Seems like some look at Dry January as a means of breaking out of alcoholism or behavior that is trending towards that or sustaining abstinence. Thatís a legitimate way to look at it for sure. Iím looking at it from the give my body a rest from alcohol but I was never worried about my drinking habits before this and this just gives me even more healthy options.
    I look at it a third way actually - as an exercise in willpower (stubbornness?) that reminds me that I should reflect on all forms of consumption rather than take them for granted. As an added bonus I save some money and lose some weight (if I can stop the urge to compensate with sweets anyway), but really it's just proving to myself that a lot of what I 'need' isn't really a necessity. That's why I threw soda and social media on there too this year, cutting out things that I enjoy but should recognize that I definitely don't 'need.'

That's the whole point - it likely has a slightly (or even vastly) different meaning for everyone who participates. I see no reason why creating a thread to review NA beers and linking it here inhibits anyone's ability to enjoy both threads, but I can see plenty of reasons why posting about NA beers here inhibits others' ability to enjoy this thread... It does mine.

No biggie and maybe I'm the minority here (though I did already get a rep from these comments so I'm not alone), I do know that you see your posts as a positive contribution to this thread so I appreciate the intent at least.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    NA beer is a Band-Aid and while not as bad, still a bunch of empty calories.

Band-Aid, good way to say it. My biggest issue with my consumption isn't quantity, it's just that it seems to be a ritual so often I'm spending money and taking in calories for no other reason than 'muscle memory.' NA beers would help me keep that ritual alive, which is the exact opposite of what Dry January is for me - a time to break that ritual and refocus on when a beer will truly add to my enjoyment of the moment and when it won't.

beater

ďAbstentionĒ is the word that already exists.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I decided that for me, having NA beer goes against the spirit of Dry January so I'm not drinking any. I'm probably going to extend not drinking until my first race on 2/16, so maybe when the month ends I'll try some NA beer.

If I'm being 100% honest with myself though I probably have mild alcohol use disorder, so maybe it's not a big deal for other people.

beater
    I look at it a third way actually - as an exercise in willpower (stubbornness?) that reminds me that I should reflect on all forms of consumption rather than take them for granted. As an added bonus I save some money and lose some weight (if I can stop the urge to compensate with sweets anyway), but really it's just proving to myself that a lot of what I 'need' isn't really a necessity. That's why I threw soda and social media on there too this year, cutting out things that I enjoy but should recognize that I definitely don't 'need.'

That's the whole point - it likely has a slightly (or even vastly) different meaning for everyone who participates. I see no reason why creating a thread to review NA beers and linking it here inhibits anyone's ability to enjoy both threads, but I can see plenty of reasons why posting about NA beers here inhibits others' ability to enjoy this thread... It does mine.

No biggie and maybe I'm the minority here (though I did already get a rep from these comments so I'm not alone), I do know that you see your posts as a positive contribution to this thread so I appreciate the intent at least.

Band-Aid, good way to say it. My biggest issue with my consumption isn't quantity, it's just that it seems to be a ritual so often I'm spending money and taking in calories for no other reason than 'muscle memory.' NA beers would help me keep that ritual alive, which is the exact opposite of what Dry January is for me - a time to break that ritual and refocus on when a beer will truly add to my enjoyment of the moment and when it won't.
    Iím very much onboard with this, and you expressed it better than I have.

mtbr member
    EDIT: Snarkiness gets us nowhere. I understand that it means different things to different people. I wish everyone success regardless of the path you are taking.
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    EDIT: Snarkiness gets us nowhere. I understand that it means different things to different people. I wish everyone success regardless of the path you are taking.
    You really should start an NA review thread if one doesn't exist, as you said it's an option that many probably aren't aware of and could benefit from. Also, by making your own thread it wouldn't die after January - it'd be an ongoing resource. I think a lot of people would appreciate that and I'd be curious to see if as more people post a consensus develops for the best of each style!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    You really should start an NA review thread if one doesn't exist, as you said it's an option that many probably aren't aware of and could benefit from. Also, by making your own thread it wouldn't die after January - it'd be an ongoing resource. I think a lot of people would appreciate that and I'd be curious to see if as more people post a consensus develops for the best of each style!
    If roughster doesn't start one, I will. Like I said at the start of the thread, I've been on NA beer for a couple of years due to medical reasons. Being able to enjoy flavorful craft beer without alcohol is amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

You might be missing the point of the thread

Please post the na beers in the beer forum.

Love to hear how people are doing with stepping away from beer and alcohol consumption as a lifestyle change

mtbr member
    I think the judgmental approach on this thread being taken by some is a little off putting to be honest. Reminds of the ďNo, not like that!!Ē Memes. Regardless, I started an NA review thread in the beer forum and will post further NA beer reviews there.

https://forums.mtbr.com/beer-forum/o...d-1126641.html
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I think the judgmental approach on this thread being taken by some is a little off putting to be honest. Reminds of the ďNo, not like that!!Ē Memes. Regardless, I started an NA review thread in the beer forum and will post further NA beer reviews there.

https://forums.mtbr.com/beer-forum/o...d-1126641.html
    There is no judgement in saying that this is not an NA beer review thread. That is simply a fact. You have now started one and I think that's something the whole community will be excited to have. Thank you for that contribution.

I think your inability to understand our perspective, and staunch objection to it, is off-putting. I worded my response very carefully to show that I knew your intent was good, and I even offered an alternative option for you. Frankly if you have taken offense that's on you, not me.

mtbr member
    Man! Is it February yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I think the judgmental approach on this thread being taken by some is a little off putting to be honest. Reminds of the ďNo, not like that!!Ē Memes. Regardless, I started an NA review thread in th....
    I've always been a big fan of this thread... I rarely allow myself to post, however roughster brings up an important point. I'm not feeling the judgement here but i've got thick skin...

I am coming up on twenty years without using alcohol and if there is one thing that I've learned is that no two people will ever take the same path to recovery; much like their path to misery was quite different. Approach this fact with an open and receptive mind and you may learn something new that will benefit your mission or you may identify something that won't work for you.

Take what you can use and leave the rest........... it's up to you to decide your path
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hats off to you gentlemen and women. I made it two weeks. Only had one beer after particularly miserable, rainy six hour ski session, but, well, rules are rules.

I think I could live with one beer a week longer term though, so I guess I learned something. I felt a lot better, slept better. Same thing happened when I gave up caffeine for six weeks last year.

This is like the dirt church version of Lent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi There!
    Still going here, but like I said before, I was doing 'Dry January' before it was even called that.
    I don't normally drink that often but over Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays I indulge quite a bit so I've always kind of taken January as a month to dry out.
    I also give up sweets, which again, I don't have that often normally but...holidays.
    Twice this month for about 5 seconds each I thought it would be nice to have a coldy but I held strong.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Oh yah, and I replaced the weeknight beer with kombucha. Sticking to that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    I'm going to chime in here. I'm allowing the NA beer talk. This thread is for support, reflection, refresh, etc.

Replacing alcohol with NA beer or sparking water (my substitute) or kombucha. We all have our means to replace something. Maybe it becomes permanent. Maybe it's just to get through 30 days.

Ultimately, we're all aiming to try something (no alcohol) for 30 days. We all likely have different motivations, but there is no right/wrong here.

I am Walt

Dry January 2020

Google "Dry January"...it's about abstaining from alcohol, not just beer, and certainly not NA beer. Fact.

If you choose to interpret it as including NA beer, that is your personal right and choice. Just don't try to impose your interpretation on others when that is not the intent of the broader movement. It's coming across as quite judgmental.

Best wishes to all, regardless of your motives and goals.

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Im not missing alcohol but i think come February i might be missing a simple reason to avoid it. Im contemplating an extension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Here is an interesting read. How they get away with these things ill never know.

https://www.eater.com/2020/1/22/2107...coholic-drinks

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Google "Dry January"...it's about abstaining from alcohol, not just beer, and certainly not NA beer. Fact.

If you choose to interpret it as including NA beer, that is your personal right and choice. Just don't try to impose your interpretation on others when that is not the intent of the broader movement. It's coming across as quite judgmental.
    To be clear I never said it wasn't ok to drink NA beers, just that maybe this isn't the best place to turn into an NA beer review thread... Particularly since there is a place to do that that doesn't expire at the end of the month. I don't understand how that point of view is controversial, particularly since I stated it in a very positive manner IMO.

All good though, I'm glad the conversation drifted back to more positive lines of discussion. Kudos to all who have made it to the final week!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Here is an interesting read. How they get away with these things ill never know.

https://www.eater.com/2020/1/22/2107...coholic-drinks
    I don't announce it and intentionally avoid doing so because I know it's obnoxious. I actually kind of cringe every time I'm forced to say it. Luckily it hasn't been much of an issue since I have very little social life with a little one at home.

That's why it's nice to have this thread, it's good to be able to hear some other experiences and discuss without feeling like I'm preaching to my buddies.

mtbr member
    I don't announce it and intentionally avoid doing so because I know it's obnoxious. I actually kind of cringe every time I'm forced to say it. Luckily it hasn't been much of an issue since I have very little social life with a little one at home.

That's why it's nice to have this thread, it's good to be able to hear some other experiences and discuss without feeling like I'm preaching to my buddies.
    I'm quite proud of my sobriety. After years of beating myself up for lack of self control and alcohol abuse, having extended my first dry month to years is my life's greatest accomplishment.

On the other hand, it's my deal and my problem and I rarely talk about it and certainly don't get preachy. That is obnoxious. But I have stepped in and helped those who asked for advice. I have lots of friends coming to a cross roads. I'm there if they want it but I also feel alone at times. I don't have many friends that don't drink and a lot of them don't know when to stop or have an off button. I've lost a few friends along the way like ski buddies and such because I can't hang out with them anymore.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting that.

CEO Product Failure
    I just found a really, really, really good NA Beer: Partake IPA by Partake Brewing. From Canada-but easy to come by in StL and $10 per 6 pack, 12oz cans. Head and body of an IPA. It tastes like a cross between a decent IPA and a hop flavored tea. It is delicious. I plan to keep this in my rotation and drink it year round. And the best part is its 10 cals, 2g carbs--truly unbelievable!!

If you've been disappointed in NA IPA's, consider giving this one a try.

https://drinkpartake.com/product/ipa-usd/

mtbr member
    LOVE Dry January, the best

Dry January 2020-dry-january.jpg

The Voice of Reason
    last day! anyone else sticking with it through february? i fell off the wagon about mid month for a few days. gotta make up the time.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer View Post
    last day! anyone else sticking with it through february? i fell off the wagon about mid month for a few days. gotta make up the time.
    I went into March with it two years ago, but not this year. Have enjoyed the break, but am really looking forward to hitting up a new tap room tomorrow, that opened up near me. Good luck!!

Ride more; post less...

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer View Post
    Got social plans this weekend, but I'm intending to carry into February. Mainly, I'm not allowing myself to drink at home. I've got a couple weekend events planned in February (one being a wine event), so I won't be a teetotaler - but occasional social drinking is a big enough change for me to see/feel/notice positive effects.

mtbr member
    I'll make it for sure. Not drinking until tomorrow. Already trying to decide what my first beer will be. Sooo many contenders!

- Mikkeller Vanilla Shake
    - Mikkeller Cocoa Shake
    - Mikkeller Viking 15
    - Mikkeller Traeblood
    - Founders CBS
    - Founders KBS
    - Founders Lizard of Koz
    - Founders Rum Runner
    - Founders Mas Agave
    - Cascade Manhattan NW
    - Cascade Bean to Barrel Triple
    - Duchess of Beoginius
    - Pliny the Elder

I'm currently leaning towards Lizard of Koz. Its been out of production for several years and I've been sitting on two bottles. I might drop to a n=1 as of tomorrow!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    So i made it. I expect that i will continue at least for a little bit longer Planning to try and loose some weight during feb by avoiding some of the carbs and treats

Who else made it. Ill give you a green chiclet for your effort!

I am Walt
    So i made it. I expect that i will continue at least for a little bit longer Planning to try and loose some weight during feb by avoiding some of the carbs and treats

Who else made it. Ill give you a green chiclet for your effort!
    I made it, for the third year in a row. Wasnít hard, as it was a goal for me, and I really enjoyed the break and ďcleanseĒ. But Iím pretty eager for a beer today, at the tap room that opened near me! Hazy IPA on tap later!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My goal has been a dry first quarter. January was surprisingly easy, and now weíve got a weekend car camping trip planned for mid April so my target is no booze until then, at which point I may bring one or two nice beers for each night in the woods.

mtbr member
    Woot I made it as well!
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Made it! Gets easier every year.

Looking forward to a Super Bowl beer.

beater
    We had some friends over last night, and one other couple was doing a dry January too. She was willing to call it ďgood enoughĒ but stuck to it through the night.

mtbr member
    Waited a long time for this! Went with Founders CBS because I had it in small format. It is as good as I remember!

Dry January 2020-ff3e5c9b-d137-48a1-a0b8-873663997afb.jpeg
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Waited a long time for this! Went with Founders CBS because I had it in small format. It is as good as I remember!

Name:	FF3E5C9B-D137-48A1-A0B8-873663997AFB.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	533.0 KB 
ID:	1309115
    When It's dry January ...

So you drink dry Wine .

Just Meme..

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I came up a few hours short, but intentionally so. Friday nights are my best relaxation of the week, Saturday nights for whatever reason are less of a 'beer night' for me.

I'm pretty excited though - after a month of no soda the idea of one kinda sounds gross so that is still going. I'm hoping that continues and I just won't drink soda at all anymore. Seltzer drinks like La Croix used to be super bland to me, now they taste as flavorful as a soda used to... Pretty cool that my tastebuds re-calibrated like that!