jcd's best friend

Driver harasses 2 off-duty police cyclists

I thought this was an interesting read. In Australia, a driver harassed 2 off-duty police officers, filmed it himself, and then got himself a court date. He was charged with using a mobile phone while driving, swearing, and driving on a bike path.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2610...fsxatizYjPIUX4
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

Up In Smoke
    Gotta love instant karma

Up In Smoke
    That gofundme page makes me want to puke.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    That gofundme page makes me want to puke.
    Welcome to Australia, where cyclist hate is a national pastime
    All the gear and no idea.

Flat Pluto Society
    "...telling on himself..."

What is this, grade school?

"I'm gonna tell on you!"

Bikesexual
    A bit OT but on my ride today, there were 2 young ladies (kids really) crossing the street, I'm on my bike to cross the light to reconnect to the trail.

Old fart is impatiently trying to turn right, and the girls were walking at a slow pace, but every right to do so.

As they get to sidewalk, I hear this pig using the "n" word because they didn't move fast enough. I let him have it, but either he didn't hear me, or ignored me. I don't think he heard me though.

Point is, there are some mean, and ignorant people out there.

Good the guy on the OP got his karma right back!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    A couple of years ago, I was on a group road ride with six friends, all of them off duty cops (2 county deputies and four police officers from my city). We were two-thirds of the way through our ride, when a guy in a pick up pulled up behind us while stopped at a red light. We were somewhat spread across the road, but we were STOPPED at a red light, so no harm, no foul. The guy in the truck took exception to a couple of the guys in front of him and drove into the rear of one of my friends. Not hard, just a tap, but was honking at him and bumped into him, intentionally.

The guy had no idea what he was getting into. Everyone of my riding partners(all in their late 40s or early 50s) are instructors at the academy, either in Defensive Tactics, firearms, or traffic law and ALL of them are required to be armed while off duty in their county of jurisdiction. I was impressed by the response of my riding partners in defusing the situation by verbally bringing him down from his self induced road rage.

Had he chosen to escalate, it could have ended badly for him.
    45=25

Up In Smoke
    ^^^^

Fortunately for you and your friends there. We aren't all off duty cops, and cars and bikes don't mesh well. It really blows me away hearing these stories about road rage and cyclists. Its about equivalent to bringing a banana to a gun fight.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    ^^^^

Fortunately for you and your friends there. We aren't all off duty cops, and cars and bikes don't mesh well. It really blows me away hearing these stories about road rage and cyclists. Its about equivalent to bringing a banana to a gun fight.
    Yep, road riding gets scarier every year. More stress in = more rage. Drivers texting or on the phone = more danger for all. Plus the majority of drivers texting or on their devices are inexperienced young drivers. A recipe for disaster in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yep, road riding gets scarier every year. More stress in = more rage. Drivers texting or on the phone = more danger for all. Plus the majority of drivers texting or on their devices are inexperienced young drivers. A recipe for disaster in my opinion.

I admit that riding on busy roads is not much fun and dangerous for sure but if you live in an area with mostly deserted mountain roads it can be pleasant and feels relatively safe. Cities with good infrastructure and lots of bike paths make road riding fun too, for some anyway.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Had he chosen to escalate, it could have ended badly for him.
    Too bad it didn't, really. One less maroon.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

mtbr member
    Gotta love instant karma
    Except 220 people contributed $3,580 to his GoFundMe page for legal fees and he exceeded his legal fee goal by $1500 AUD. Apparently, riding two abreast on narrow Australian roadways is irritating to many Australian motorists. Go figure

Wanna ride bikes?
    Any time someone invites you to "pull over so we can chat" you can pretty well expect to be on the receiving end of someone that's happy to deliver a message using whatever means are necessary.

I hate being on the road, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I'm shocked at how little time I spend on pavement and how many negative encounters I've had.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

jcd's best friend
    I'm glad that my county built an entire cycling infrastructure for road cyclists. I use it regularly! Most of our cycling paths are separated from the roads. The paths connected to the roads are wide enough and have dedicated bicycle lanes.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    I saw that video a few days ago and though it was pretty funny. This makes it like 10x funnier.

For the record if you are road biking, try to ride single file.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    I saw that video a few days ago and though it was pretty funny. This makes it like 10x funnier.

For the record if you are road biking, try to ride single file.
    To clear any confusion about the legality of where the cyclists were riding, police sources told the Illawarra Mercury, an Australian newspaper, that cyclists can ride two deep on a road, no more than 1.5 meters (about 5 feet) apart.
    Don't say what you mean, you might spoil your face...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    To clear any confusion about the legality of where the cyclists were riding, police sources told the Illawarra Mercury, an Australian newspaper, that cyclists can ride two deep on a road, no more than 1.5 meters (about 5 feet) apart.
    Legal might be different than polite. WTH were they riding two abreast on a road when there's a cycling path 20 feet away? Despite being legal in Australia, it apparently irritates people enough that they shelled out a lot of money for the defense of the road rager. Moral...don't be a dick even if it is legal and you are a cop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    To me, looks like the guy doing the filming has a valid point.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtee View Post
    To me, looks like the guy doing the filming has a valid point.
    I think so too but he didnt have to drive on the bike path to prove it lol!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yeah, but it highlighted the irony of the whole thing, perfectly.

No known cure
    It hurt, but I sold my road bike. It just became too dangerous with drunks, soccer moms, shadows, blind curves and cyclist hate here in the mountains. She was beautiful. A Litespeed Vortex with hand shaped 6/4 tubing and Dura Ace gruppo.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Flat Pluto Society
    Rip. 😣

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    A bit OT but on my ride today, there were 2 young ladies (kids really) crossing the street, I'm on my bike to cross the light to reconnect to the trail.

Old fart is impatiently trying to turn right, and the girls were walking at a slow pace, but every right to do so.

As they get to sidewalk, I hear this pig using the "n" word because they didn't move fast enough. I let him have it, but either he didn't hear me, or ignored me. I don't think he heard me though.

Point is, there are some mean, and ignorant people out there.
    Maybe that loser heard you, maybe he didn't. Hopefully the girls didn't hear him, or at very least heard you stand up for them.

Either way good on you for doing what you did. Rep given.
    No dig no whine

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Maybe that loser heard you, maybe he didn't. Hopefully the girls didn't hear him, or at very least heard you stand up for them.

Yeah, good points.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, good points.
    Thanks! Actually I felt bad because I was cursing at the dude! I apologized, and they smiled back and said "no worries". Ugly scene though. It really hit a nerve, it felt like that show "what would you do?".
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Thanks! Actually I felt bad because I was cursing at the dude! I apologized, and they smiled back and said "no worries". Ugly scene though. It really hit a nerve, it felt like that show "what would you do?".
    That guy in the car...

Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 300
Size:  856.6 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    Legal might be different than polite. WTH were they riding two abreast on a road when there's a cycling path 20 feet away? Despite being legal in Australia, it apparently irritates people enough that they shelled out a lot of money for the defense of the road rager. Moral...don't be a dick even if it is legal and you are a cop.
    that bike path is incomplete and stops altogether about 500m further up the road without connecting back to the road. its highly unlikely anyone would use it in its current state. there was plenty of visibility fir the driver to plan his pass.

roadies often ride side by side as it halves the length of the group and makes passing easier. at the legal 1.5m separation they are no wider than a car so if you cant pass them maybe its because passing ia a bad idea there

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=*OneSpeed*;13972477]Any time someone invites you to "pull over so we can chat" you can pretty well expect to be on the receiving end of someone that's happy to deliver a message using whatever means are necessary.

QUOTE]

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to fight with cycling cleats on, standing on the pavement.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    that bike path is incomplete and stops altogether about 500m further up the road without connecting back to the road. its highly unlikely anyone would use it in its current state. there was plenty of visibility fir the driver to plan his pass.

roadies often ride side by side as it halves the length of the group and makes passing easier. at the legal 1.5m separation they are no wider than a car so if you cant pass them maybe its because passing is a bad idea there
    Good insider info. There's almost always more than meets the eye with these situations. As is typical, there's an angle to be presented depending on the publication and the space allotted to tell the story.
    45=25

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I think so too but he didnt have to drive on the bike path to prove it lol!
    Yes; what a dumb twat. A throat punch was in order.
    Don't say what you mean, you might spoil your face...

mtbr member
    Recently a new "off-street bike path" was constructed here, alongside the route of our major weekend ride with 100s of road cyclists per ride

Here's how they built the "off-street bike path".

1. Spray paint bike logos on wide part of existing sidewalk
    2. Put up signs at all driveways and intersections (dozens per mile)that say "walk your bike"
    3. On narrow parts of sidewalks (100s of feet per mile) put in more of those signs
    4. At the end of the "bike route", regular sidewalk resumes with a "walk your bike sign" and no further signage.

now....I wonder what's gonna happen next time I dare to ride down that road, even though it's five lanes wide.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    I thought everyone was supposed to be happy in a place called Jamberoo. Sounds like a place with lots of beer, shrimp, and cute koalas.

mtbr member
    That worked out well for an asshole.