mtbr member

Donations to Non-Profits Supporting MTB'ing

Note: I put this in the General Forum on purpose because this is a broader topic than just Advocacy. Mods, please consider this before you move if you are thinking of moving it to the Trails and Advocacy forum.

Okay, I am going through my emails and I see ...

Donations to Non-Profits Supporting MTB'ing-imba.jpg

Sweet! I typically donate to many charities and non-profits / advocacy groups. I am blessed enough to be able to afford it, and why not support the communities / recreation I love, right??

But I now have an absolutely crux, I WILL NOT support IMBA giving their current stance on MTB'ing in Wilderness areas. I simply can not endorse a group on that topic even though I recognize, they are currently the "best" we got from an advocacy perspective on the national level.

SO, here is my question for the broader "General" MTBR community. Is it worth emailing:

info@imba.com

... to let them know this stance is driving away money from their coffers in a significant and meaningful way?

I'll be honest, I took IMBAs poll last month and almost all of my comments were heavily focused on allowing the decision of Land Managers to locally allow Wilderness access to MTBs. IS that enough, or do we need to continue to remind IMBA? Do they read MTBR? Is there a better communication pathway to get them to come to their senses before they cut off their own nose to spite their face?

mtbr member
    has this IMBA/ Wilderness issue not been discussed TO DEATH in the past few weeks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    has this IMBA/ Wilderness issue not been discussed TO DEATH in the past few weeks?
    Yes and No. This is more of a discussion, or intended to be, focused not on their decision but the consequences of that decision. It also is a primer for do we as community want to watch our largest national advocacy group fail or be proactive in trying to get them to come to their senses?

This 2018 Fall $5 for a chance at a free bike is clearly an indication that they need $ and they need it quickly from my perspective. Yes I know, all Non-profits need money, but I would guess this shitstorm has caused them significant damage fiscally and I would also guess is jeopardizing their existence as a national level advocacy group.

My fundamental questions is not do you agree with their stance, but do you see the outcome of this stance leading to an overall collapse in the trust between them and the people they are actually purporting to represent? Is it worth it to "work with" IMBA or are we better off watching them fail?

mtbr member
    previous discussions on this topic made it clear that IMBA is hurting for $$ bigtime.

since 4/10/2009
    IMBA has changed its affiliated club program. Not all of which involve sending a percentage of your membership dollars to IMBA. That said, if you want to support your local club without ANY of your money going to IMBA, then just donate rather than joining as a "member". You better believe that both your local club and IMBA will notice the more this happens (and it has been occurring for quite some time).

It will never hurt to continue to tell IMBA what you think about their positions on issues. The more they hear it, the more they're likely to actually change their position, or at least their language.

But I think that the time of one national MTB org being all things for every rider is done. The riding community is too diverse. I've been encountering more and more riders over the years who never ride outside of the small urban trail systems near them. For that matter, I've encountered a number of riders who never ride anywhere except the one park with fewer than 20mi of easy trails nearest their house. Most of those people aren't going to care one way or another for trails in a backcountry environment, let alone trails that riders lose (or lost, many years ago) access to due to Wilderness or WSA designations.

So I'd say pick the groups/causes you support, and donate to those.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Donate to STC, send IMBA a copy of the receipt.

All fat, all the time.
    I donate to local clubs and also the stc. Imba hasn't seen a dollar of mine for many years.