Does 10mm thru bolt matter on a hard tail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Does 10mm thru bolt matter on a hard tail?

Cross post from the Clyde forum

Hey guys. I'm going to foray into wheel building and I have basically all the information i need except this. I run a thru bolt on my carbon 29er but because I added it at the same time as a wheel set it felt vastlydifferent, but I'm not sure if the thru bolt had anything to do with it. I'm building up an on-one 45650b and would love to put together a super budget wheel set but I can't find any budget hubs that come, or are convertible to 10mm thru bolt. I'm curious if I should just stop nit picking and grab some xt hubs and call it a day.

Note: I'm 210#

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yes it makes a good difference. If you need to get a budget hub, you probably won't find one. It stiffens up the rear quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Boom. Best solution. Buy a used Hadley rear.

mtbr member
    Ok. I guess I will wait or look to the used market

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've never heard anyone say a 456 lacks stiffness. Not worth it IMO.

mtbr member
    Hmm... not making it easy lol

mtbr member
    I have Stan's 3.30 hubs that started out with standard QR skewers. I later bought end caps from Stan's to allow a 9mm front and 10mm rear thru-axle and some Hadley axles. they work great! I don't know if I have noticed a huge difference but it's been a long time since I switched them.

mtbr member

Re: Does 10mm thru bolt matter on a hard tail?

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have Stan's 3.30 hubs that started out with standard QR skewers. I later bought end caps from Stan's to allow a 9mm front and 10mm rear thru-axle and some Hadley axles. they work great! I don't know if I have noticed a huge difference but it's been a long time since I switched them.
    That's what I run on my f29. Arch ex with thru bolt 3.30

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    Cross post from the Clyde forum

Hey guys. I'm going to foray into wheel building and I have basically all the information i need except this. I run a thru bolt on my carbon 29er but because I added it at the same time as a wheel set it felt vastlydifferent, but I'm not sure if the thru bolt had anything to do with it. I'm building up an on-one 45650b and would love to put together a super budget wheel set but I can't find any budget hubs that come, or are convertible to 10mm thru bolt. I'm curious if I should just stop nit picking and grab some xt hubs and call it a day.

Note: I'm 210#
    Thru-axles on a hard tail are pure marketing hype. Think about it, what are you stiffening up? The chainstays/seatstays do not move independantly so it isn't helping there and the distance between the dropouts doesn't ever change thanks to the hub so it isn't helping there either. Where exactly is it helping?
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    It is noticeable. I've ridden plenty of hard tails and the through axles definitely have the edge.

mtbr member

Re: Does 10mm thru bolt matter on a hard tail?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Thru-axles on a hard tail are pure marketing hype. Think about it, what are you stiffening up? The chainstays/seatstays do not move independantly so it isn't helping there and the distance between the dropouts doesn't ever change thanks to the hub so it isn't helping there either. Where exactly is it helping?
    This is really what logic tells me. But so many people claim to feel a difference

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    This is really what logic tells me. But so many people claim to feel a difference
    The chainstays and seatstays do move independently. I can tell you that right now on my current bike. I ride a Chromag Stylus and if I grind it in the higher gears I can torque the rear enough for the tire to rub on the chainstay, which is pretty common, since I run bigger tires and like to sprint to climb short sections. This is with a QR axle. Having ridden similar bikes with bolt through axles, they are definitely stiffer, but actual percentages would obviously hard to quantify.

mtbr member
    And steel (the new frame is steel) is malleable. I guess I'm not hurting anything by waiting a bit and saving for a 10mm TB hub.

mtbr member
    I found what I think it's a good solution. Azonic makes a hib thats 12x135 and atomlab makes a 12mm to 10mm reducer. I can get the azonic hub for just over $100 and the reducer for about $20. Seems "budget" enough. Just have to read reviews in those hubs.

Flappity flappity flap
    You can get any 12x135mm thru hub and run that conversion axle. Been running one for years on the instigator. IMHO on an HT it won't make a difference QR or thru, all other things equal. If the QR or axle isn't tight enough to keep the wheel from shifting in the dropouts, your tire rubbing your stays is soon to be the least of your worries...

mtbr member
    Great addition to my ti 29er, felt an immediate difference.
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

mtbr member
    Can anyone recommend a decent (sub $200) 10mm or 12mm x 135 hub? I was looking at novatec but can't seem to find a vendor or pricing.

mtbr member
    I have a 29x2.4 Chunky Monkey on the back of my Karate Monkey and a Hadley 10mm axle in my Stan's hub. the tire clears the chainstays under normal conditions, but it rubs the chainstay occasionally. I am not sure if this is because the tire, rim, or frame deflect enough to allow the rub. I have to wonder if the problem would be worse if I did not have the oversized axle.