Do you wear glasses while riding ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Do you wear glasses while riding ?

1st i dont know if this the correct place to put this .with that said if any of you wear glasses while riding how do you get around your glasses fogging up ?

i know there is commercial cleaner that says it defogs but ive also heard they don't work. so i thought i would ask here.

~Disc~Golf~
    Cat crap works for me - my lenses are also vented towards the back too - so that helps as well
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    I wear sunglasses but I live in a dry climate so the only time I have a problem is when I am not moving. For night riding I started using some tifosi (sp) and they are more of a sport design and I have not yet had any problems moving or sitting still when I am hot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My glasses are vented and that tends to help while moving, but they still fog when stopped, especially here in Ga where it tends to be a tad humid. A little trick I learned from swimming and having my goggles fog up is to rub a very light coat of hand soap on the inside of the lenses. When I say light I mean just a tiny drop, about the size of a pencil eraser on your finger tip then spread across inside of both lenses, then take a tissue and polish the lense but don't remove the soap. try that out and see how it works.

Ride Instigator
    Even in cooler temps with higher humidity my glasses don't fog up as long as I'm moving. If I stop, I take them off and wave them in the air to defog them (or wipe with a lens cloth). The key is to keep moving...fast!

mtbr member
    I wear glasses all the time because i'm short sighted, the fogging scenario tends to happen because of the temp difference between your face, the lens and the surrounding air. I can't think of a single time fogging occured when I was moving because the moving air obviously combats the heat from my face, if they fog up when I stop I generally find that it's my face that needs to cool down more than anything else, a good vigourous rub with an appropriate cloth not only wipes the lens clear but usually creates enough friction for the lens to heat up closer to my face temp , other than that I try and cool my face down.

Without wanting to sound like a smart ass, if it's a vision thing, wouldn't contact lenses be better?
    I scurry away with my hardtail between my legs

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAitchGee View Post

Without wanting to sound like a smart ass, if it's a vision thing, wouldn't contact lenses be better?
    contacts don't protect your eyes from FOD

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    contacts don't protect your eyes from FOD
    Off topic--As a former glasses wearer for vision, along with that, I never wanted to lose a contact miles from the trail head. I went ahead and got LASIK, and have been very happy with that.

On topic-- Like others have said, staying moving works, I also had good luck with wiping down the lenses with clothing and would be just fine after that.

mtbr member
    So far the only fog problem I have is getting out of my AC'd car into the muggy weather we've been having.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Clean with shampoo works for a while, i wear glasses and have the fog up when stopped problem it sucks

mikeb
    yes.

the fog in the bay area can get out of hand sometimes.

i also carry a bandanna to clear them in a jersey pocket. if the fogging gets too bad, i take my glasses off, wrap them in the bandanna and slow down.

~Disc~Golf~
    I wrap mine in a banana

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i wear my glasses because of vision problems. ive had friends ask why i dont use contacts. i have in the past and they hurt my eyes so im not going that route. yea i only have the fogging problem when i stop but ya know sometimes ya just have to

It's all about the FSR!
    Rain-X works well.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Zooke Anit Fog is the bomb.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Plays with tools
    always wear glasses. I rarely have problems with fogging. You may need to ride faster

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wear Oakley Half-Jackets.

Hazardous to your health!
    i wear sunglasses. when its colder i switch over to a pair of sunglass safety glasses that have plenty of room between my face and the lens i find that keeping the shades cleaned helps alot, ie no skin grease, sweat or anything so if it does fog up, you dont lose aloty of visability

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    I wear Oakley Half-Jackets.
    Ditto, I have a set. One with a dark lens for bright days and one with a light lens for overcast lower light days. Never had a fogging issue with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    always wear glasses. I rarely have problems with fogging. You may need to ride faster
    But look at where you live, relatively low humidity so you really have no idea

On the east coast I constantly battle fogging glasses with a normal 80+% humidity through most of the summer (95% isn't uncommon). It really sucks and some riding glasses are high on my list of things to get. I would really like a pair of glasses I can change the lens in based on the amount of light. I have heard good things about Rudy Project glasses.

I'm going to give the Zooke a try as well.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I wear Oakley Half Jackets in daylight then I have a pair of Trifosi brand clear lensed shooting glasses I wear at night. A coat of Rain X or a light coat of a good car wax on the backside of the lense has always worked for me.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    I use Home Depot safety goggles on every ride. I found I have to wear a sweatband to keep my goggles from fogging up / getting covered in sweat. On humid rides, I still have to take them off when I stop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I use Home Depot safety goggles on every ride. I found I have to wear a sweatband to keep my goggles from fogging up / getting covered in sweat. On humid rides, I still have to take them off when I stop.
    +1 on safety glasses!! I bought a pair of 3M safety glasses for $25. I have Oakley glasses for the sun but, when on the trail and needing clear lens' I just don't see the need to spend $ on something just because it's a brand name - it's clear lens!!! I get it on the sunglasses...polarized, etc. But, don't see it on clear lens. Rather spend the $ on bike bling!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ^Truth. My shooting glasses were $15 at the local range, and I still use them for shooting.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedmentality View Post
    i wear my glasses because of vision problems. ive had friends ask why i dont use contacts. i have in the past and they hurt my eyes so im not going that route. yea i only have the fogging problem when i stop but ya know sometimes ya just have to
    i cant see for crap and i havent died yet, be a man and leave the glasses off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wear glasses to see, and have the fogging issues, but more of a problem for me is sweat dripping on them. I carry a bandana to clean them, but is there anything that works to keep the sweat off of them?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rainx maybe

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    I wear glasses to see, and have the fogging issues, but more of a problem for me is sweat dripping on them. I carry a bandana to clean them, but is there anything that works to keep the sweat off of them?
    I have found that the Halo products work well to keep the sweat away.

I managed to get rid of my perscription glasses (AOK instead) but I still wear riding glasses to protect the eyes. If you have a local dive shop, some of their commercial anti-fog stuff may be the ticket...otherwise keep moving as best you can and slide the glasses away from your face if you have to stop.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Go to your local moto shop and buy an anti fog cloth. Mine is made by Scott and it works very well and only costs a couple of dollars. It should last for years.
    Ride it like you stole it!

My spelling is atroshus
    Oakley Jawbones or death.

No.

I wear prescription glasses.

mtbr member

^^^ This

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Quote Originally Posted by solly44 View Post
    lol , I am in this camp too ... although I did almost died a few days ago and my eyes aren't even so bad

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by solly44 View Post
    Apparently you've never caught a piece of crud or a bug or a tree branch in your eye while riding. Protective eyewear is a good idea, there's all kinds of stuff out there waiting to poke yer eye out.

banned
    Sep 2011
    I wear sun glasses all the time while riding. Getting a twig stabbed into your eyeball while on the trail is a very high reality and bugs in my eyes ticks me off lol.

For fogging I'll tip them down a bit so air can get in there.

mtbr member
    oakley flak jackets, just got my clear lenses so ill just swap between dark polarized and clear. love them
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    ^ Yep, flak jackets and have extra lenses in the case. Always wearing them when I ride to protect my eyes, and the lenses change pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    wear contacts, and i will agree it gets bad when its dusty, or something gets stuck in your eye, or just when going very fast they start to water.

i have never had much luck with anti-fog stuff for my snowboarding goggles either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailof View Post
    ^ Yep, flak jackets and have extra lenses in the case. Always wearing them when I ride to protect my eyes, and the lenses change pretty easily.
    best glasses ive ever owned. the initial investment was hard to make. almost 5 years later and they are still good as new. theyve been everywhere. afghanistan, europe, trails, boating, jet skiing, motorcycling, stepped on, still going strong!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks for all the tips guys !

mtbr member
    OP to answer your question regarding glasses that dont fog , you can buy the spray shown above or even rub spit on your lenses. both work.

i honestly dont think my oakleys have ever fogged. and if they did it didnt last long. water and sweat roll right off them

mtbr member
    Dude, any motorcycle shop can help you out with anti fog spray for pretty cheap too.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedmentality View Post
    1st i dont know if this the correct place to put this .with that said if any of you wear glasses while riding how do you get around your glasses fogging up ?

i know there is commercial cleaner that says it defogs but ive also heard they don't work. so i thought i would ask here.
    i wear prescription glasses when i ride (with a specialized deviant FF helmet), and a few thoughts:
    -most normal eyeglasses should be fairly open around the edges (i.e. not form fitting), so lots of airflow to prevent fogging
    -in winter riding, my eyes started to water, so i started wearing some cheapie MX goggles--these DO fog as soon as i stop moving, so i try not to stop too much ha ha
    -wearing them w/ the FF helmet for the past several years addressed one of hte primary issues: holding the glasses in place. w/ an open face helmet, i would always have the glasses slipping down my nose (even w/ properly adjusted).

ymmv
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    I wear prescription glasses when riding.. Can't honestly say I've had a problem with fogging ever
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

The Smiths Design
    my problem isn't the glasses fogging up, but when raining my Maxxis Larsen tire tread acts like scoops that throws water and mud and whatever else directly in my face. (my glasses are Oakleys with prescription lenses)

Low Rep Count
    Depends on weather conditions. Mine only seem to fog up when I stop for a quick break on hot days. Other than that I'm good to go. I need to get some clear lens glasses (non perscription) though as some times it is just too shaded in the woods for me to wear my normal Oakley's when riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmithsdesign View Post
    my problem isn't the glasses fogging up, but when raining my Maxxis Larsen tire tread acts like scoops that throws water and mud and whatever else directly in my face. (my glasses are Oakleys with prescription lenses)
    Someone needs a fender!
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

I4NI
    Not often enough
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    just use an old inner tube on your fork between the arch and the crown.

mtbr member
    Or get the Mucky Nuts Bender Fender....brilliant and does not get caught on the tyre when the fork is under compression.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If your eyesight isn't too bad w/o your glasses I wouldn't wear them. I require glasses but my vision is workable without them. The issue I have when wearing glasses while riding is the slipping off my face from sweat and what-not. I would constantly be pushing them back up and after a billion of those in a 1 hour ride I just left them at home.

This probably doesn't help, but the topic caught my eye.

mtbr member
    I wear my regular prescription glasses with "fit over glasses" sunglasses. I haven't had any fogging problems but I'm in New Mexico = very dry most of the time.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I wear glasses and rarely have problems with fogging even when I stop. I started wearing the hi-viz lenses on my Wylie-X glasses and really like it while riding through the trees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    OP to answer your question regarding glasses that dont fog , you can buy the spray shown above or even rub spit on your lenses. both work.
    +1

I learned to use spit when I played paintball. it's free and easy. I use it whenever I have a fogging issue.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Wow so the overwhelming consensus seems to be : wear glasses to ride even if your vision is fine.

I have taken a few bugs to the eye in my day but never had bugs in both eyes at the same time , so have been able to cope , going through branches I just point my ride , duck my head and close my eyes but I don't really push it too hardwhen going through branches so again I can cope with it.

So for me years of riding without glasses has honed my bug squinting and branch ducking reflexes rather than causing me to loose an eye .... LUCKILY

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, I usually also wear glasses just to avoid getting dust, bugs, and other non eyeball friendly stuff slammed into my sockets.

In Bum Fcuk Egypt
    M Frame Pro's for road and mountain. Spittle works for me. For the Moto, I use Lemon Pledge inside and out. Helps bug guts to come off easier, and leaves a nice lemony scent!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I wear my old oakleys. They have saved my eyes from being poked by over hanging branches a few times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use a pair of old Bolle Edge with prescription inserts. As some others have said, never had them fog up when moving. Maybe one time or other when in cold weather. But here it's mostly hot all year round (Brazil) so no big deal.