Do you stretch?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Do you stretch?

smw
    pedal pusher

Do you stretch?

After finding myself injured and no real explanation for it, Ive been doing alot of research about my injury. A groin strain- this has caused me to stay off the bike , as well as a great amount of discomfort. It has effected my hip and back as well, since my leg muscles are tight as piano cords. My hip was in extreme pain last week, and the swelling seems to have restricted blood flow to my legs.

After lots of searches on the net and talking to my cyclist Dr, I find out this injury is caused from over use. I only ride 3 days a week. Well Im not as young as I used to be(im 39), and I rarely stretch, usually if I feel tight. So now I have become a stretcher, and I also learned that will help the muscles get stronger and recover faster, not to mention more endurance.

Do you stretch? Before-after a ride? Notice any difference's?

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Do you stretch? Before-after a ride? Notice any difference's?
    YES! 44 yrs old this Friday. The older you get the more you have to stretch.....stretch like a mad man.

Consider it "flexibility training", very important to stave off injury.

I will very mildly stretch during rides or through out the day at work.

My real flexibility training is done in the evening after a hot shower when I am loose. Lower the lights, turn on some groovy tunes and have a beer nearby....works for me.

Oh and yes it makes a difference - huge difference!

Aug 2004
    Here is my thread from a couple of months ago on this very subject...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=181001

mtbr member
    Pretty timely issue for me. I ride to work, about 20-23 minutes each way. Yesterday I started getting hip pain in my right side. I hardly ever stretch, and am also really tight. So far today, I've probably strecthed 5 times sitting here in the ol' cube farm. It hurts like hell to stretch right now, but it'll get better (I hope!)

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Here is my thread from a couple of months ago on this very subject...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=181001

Thats kinda how this injury started, and I just kept riding cause it would loosen up as I rode. Then one day, my legs were really weak on a ride, next day I could hardly walk.
    I still hate stretching, but I cant help but think that the added flexability from regular stretching would help improve bike handling skills.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

JWB
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I started doing Yoga stretches and it helps.

I now also do quite a bit of stretching checking every part of my body after a ride for ticks!

Physio friends also say that stretching is so good for us.

John

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad
    Pretty timely issue for me. I ride to work, about 20-23 minutes each way. Yesterday I started getting hip pain in my right side. I hardly ever stretch, and am also really tight. So far today, I've probably strecthed 5 times sitting here in the ol' cube farm. It hurts like hell to stretch right now, but it'll get better (I hope!)

The stretching guide I have been reading says to stretch only until you feel a stretch happening. I was stretching it to much ( uncomfortable) thinking that would be better. Now I seem to be progressing faster. When I would release the stretch the muscle would retract and get tighter, now it does'nt do that.

Sean

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    YES! 44 yrs old this Friday. The older you get the more you have to stretch.....stretch like a mad man.

Consider it "flexibility training", very important to stave off injury.

I will very mildly stretch during rides or through out the day at work.

My real flexibility training is done in the evening after a hot shower when I am loose. Lower the lights, turn on some groovy tunes and have a beer nearby....works for me.

Oh and yes it makes a difference - huge difference!

Well then, Happy Birthday.

Sean

Some Assembly Required
    Doc once told me "stretching is the best thing you can do for your muscles", better than lifting running or anything else. Stretch before & after you ride. Makes climbing so much more easier. Does wonders for endurance when legs aren't "lactating".
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Fat guy on a bike
    After i developed plantars in my foot, i have been forced to stretch my calves to release tension.

Then me and my friend started doing his full martial arts training stretch training which covers everything head to foot. It does feel good.

jrm
    mtbr member

I have too..

i stretch before, during and after riding. Ive also found that lifting weights 2x a week helps too.

Members who have read this thread: 0