Do You Like When Other People Buy You Gear?- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Do You Like When Other People Buy You Gear?

i sound like a grinch, but i don't. my wife got me a nice gift, but I'm the one who will be out on 8 hr rides using it under pressure, exhaustion, weather etc. So I sound like an a-h0le gritting my teeth when unwrapping and thinking about what she spent.

does this qualify as white people problems??
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

AZ
    banned
    Trade in in on something that suits the task.

T.W.O
    White people problemmmzzzz
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    No. It's very immature, and probably a severe character flaw, When you want a certain specific kind of doo-dad on your bike, skate, musical rig or whatever it's not the kind of thing that your relative, who "knows that you ride a bicycle..." is going to be able to, nor should they be expected to, cater to. They might get you something you can use, but as I tried to explain to my GF regarding her son and his dirtbike, give him the cash and let him go get what he wants, or take him shopping, don't try to guess what he needs (brand, size, color, etc.) too many variables for a kook to be able to shop for an enthusiast.

mtbr member
    I'd take it for what it is and be graciously thankful, your wife is trying to show that she cares and supports your habit. If she got it wrong maybe you can somehow trade it on the sly?

Maybe next time you can leave subtle, but specific hints.

Quote Originally Posted by jimwg View Post
    No. It's very immature, and probably a severe character flaw,

too many variables for a kook to be able to shop for an enthusiast.

You're joking,,,,,right?

AZ
    banned
    I always had a suspicion that cholla was flawed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I can relate to what you are feeling.

I feel the 'smile and nod' approach is best. Bring it up at a later date how to go about making a change. All that 'just be happy' stuff is nonsense.

It probably fits you as bad as the wrong size shoes someone might get you and what would you do in that situation? I wouldn't wear them. I'd smile and nod and them bring it up a little bit later thereby still maintaining appreciation for the gift by including the other person as much as possible.

-sent from my iPhone lying bored in bed because all the bars are closed

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I always had a suspicion that cholla was flawed.
    ^ this!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had an inverse situation, my wife wants me to take back the KitchenAid stand mixer and buy her a trainer instead.

I like pie.
    Our solution:

We give eachother a list of five or ten specific items we'd like and then "surprise" eachother with the one we picked for the other person.

No worries

mtbr member
    After 10 years of marriage, my wife and I have reached this understanding: I buy the stuff I want for my bike (or whatever other hobby I might be involved in), show it to her, and say "thanks, Merry Christmas to me!" (or happy birthday or whatever gift-giving holiday is coming up next).

Too many times returning stuff, restocking fees, and so forth. She is also much worse at shopping, finding deals, and so forth -- the last couple times she bought something, she just found one and paid msrp for it. Better to just leave me in charge of buying things for my hobbies!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Give it a crank
    I like the gesture but dislike the fact that I would have spent the money on a higher priority (to me) item.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My wife and me have the same thing going on
    as Tystevens. That way no one gets upset.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    That wouldn't work for me because I'd need to know the 4 or 9 items left on the list so I could buy them RIGHT NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Our solution:

We give eachother a list of five or ten specific items we'd like and then "surprise" eachother with the one we picked for the other person.

No worries

On wuss patrol
    Cholla, no one has asked what she got you.and what you'd rather have. Inquiring minds want to know.

I do like Mr5150's system.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Ride Instigator

Do it like this...

"Hey hon, I ordered a set of shifters from Jenson...wrap 'em up and put 'em under the tree for me when they come, 'k?

Santa always brings me exactly what I want.

mtbr member
    What did she get you?

I really can't buy for my hubby and he can't buy for me unless we are very specific. Sucks for surprises, but it makes it so we don't have to return or guess.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Cholla, no one has asked what she got you.and what you'd rather have. Inquiring minds want to know.

I do like Mr5150's system.
    we usually do it like more TyStevens too. guess not this year. doh.

She got me a really nice garmin 800. pricey. I currently have a working etrex vista and forerunner, which serve my needs for bike computer and for file uploads. It was a nice idea, she wanted to get me something bling. Touchscreen and small form factor sounded good, but she goes for whistles and bells and I rely on simpler durable engineering - Mars and Venus stuff. didn't trust the touchscreen with a dirty sweaty sticky glove, didnt trust the 800 to handle the grit and elements in AZ, wantd replaceable batteries instead of internal, and something durable for crashes. The 800 was too much money to be a good value, for the performance boost over the Etrex, imo. My plan was to hang on to what I had for a few more years to see if Garmin made a comeback (imo), or wait for someone else to come into the market.

My wife and i have been together 20 yrs. So, to some degree I feel like she knows me well enough to know that I'm a fussy little beeach about my gear. She countered with 'you bought me a snowboard for our 20th anniversary!' 'But but but honey...i know more about gear than you do. '

*facepalm*

since 4/10/2009
    My wife knows me well enough that she chooses well when she does buy me something.

Anyone else? Clueless. I tell people not to buy me anything because I would rather get nothing than just more crap. I always wind up getting more crap...and no gift receipts so I cannot exchange it. Goodwill gets some brand new stuff from me every year. This year they are getting some pleather gloves

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    very nice of her. just return it. you don't want it. it's not like "oh, this is much nicer than i would have bought for myself", it's like "i looked at this piece of equipment and determined that it is unsuitable for me."

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    "Hey hon, I ordered a set of shifters from Jenson...wrap 'em up and put 'em under the tree for me when they come, 'k?

Santa always brings me exactly what I want.
    "we" did that for a set of X Alp Elites. Most expensive shoe Ive ever bought, in any category!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    I had an inverse situation, my wife wants me to take back the KitchenAid stand mixer and buy her a trainer instead.
    i have a kitchenAid and a trainer, i like em both but the trainer is used more. Solution: hook up beaters to the flywheel on the trainer!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0